Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E05: Jackets and Eggs

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

This is why I come to the forums, you see things that I may not have caught during the episode...Angelina's hug was premeditated to get the "jacket" for sure.  One thing I noticed, it seemed to me that they all looked "freshly laundered" when they got back from evac

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

This is why I come to the forums, you see things that I may not have caught during the episode...Angelina's hug was premeditated to get the "jacket" for sure.  One think I noticed, it seemed to me that they all looked "freshly laundered" when they got back from evac

That, or a tropical storm is the functional equivalent of one helluva rinse cycle.  :>

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

One thing I noticed, it seemed to me that they all looked "freshly laundered" when they got back from evac

My sister thought this, too. It did seem like some of their hair looked less oily and unwashed, but not all though, so I found that kinda weird.

• Love 2

I'm getting the feeling that people are approaching their limit with talking about Natalie. But I'd like to make one more brief point.

Recently, it occurred to me how all the things she says about her life outside the game could be true. Fer instance:

"There have been people who were willing to take a bullet for me."

She has said words to the effect, "I never have trouble with the people I work with".

It occurs to me that she may well run a newspaper. But I'm guessing everything may be done over the Internet. In other words, she may never be in the same room with anyone else. She may "run things" but talking with them using a keyboard. Wouldn't that explain an awful lot?

• Love 3

I've been sort of neutral about Angelina but she lost me when she was talking about Lyrsa's jacket - not only thinking of ways to get it but also getting Natalie to do her dirty work.  I mean think about it.  Even if Lyrsa or Nick agreed to swap a coat as a way to stay in the game, can you imagine Angelina or anyone else walking around with it while Lyrsa or Nick shiver in the cold?  In other words, watching others suffer while Angelina gets comfort?  It's really inhumane on some freaky level. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I would absolutely refuse to play the game in my underpants and I think it's wrong of the producers to ask women to do it. 

Or men either. I may never get the "tighty pinkies" out of my memory. Totally humiliating for him, and me having to see it.

• Love 10

Several posts have been hidden due to the following reasons:

1. Off-topic to this particular episode 
  2. Uncivility

I didn’t hide some posts that were only about Natalie and not specific to this episode, but really those things could and should go into her thread.  Same with some Rob Has a Podcast posts.  those discussions need to go into that thread. 

As as far as creating a FAQ thread, I am happy to do that. I’m going  to start a fact seeking thread and then I’ll take that info for the official FAQ thread to be pinned. 

• Love 4

So, several days after the episode aired and I am still smiling about what a great episode it was!  It was so impressive that Nick and Lysra did not panic and how open Mike was to getting rid of Natalie.  I think that these last two episodes have shown that some of the "Goliaths" are really looking at their positions in the original tribe and weighing their options for remaining.  I also think that Mike was willing to risk winning in order to truly enjoy the experience.  There have been many survivors over the years who have valued the experience more than the money (although they would still love to win).  Or, maybe Mike was considering the viewers at home when he went forward with the plan to vote out Natalie.

And I loved that Angelina saw herself as a master manipulator and therefore voted for Lyrsa in order to get Natalie's jacket.  The most I have like Natalie this entire season was when she just ignored Angelina's pitiful pleas for her jacket and just walked off.  Maybe Angelina isn't the master manipulator that she thought she was.

Am enjoying many of the friendships that seem to be developing.

• Love 11

The Secret Scene for this week starts with the Brochacho sequence as seen in the episode, but picks it up from Christian's perspective instead of Dan's, including their opposite mindsets in regard to Gabby.

And speaking of Secret Scenes; this one from two episodes back now has more relevance.

• Love 8

Watching Christian do pullups pretty successfully I wonder if he is purposefully underselling hself a little?  idk, love the guy and think he is multi talented mentally and physically as well as probably just a cerebal nice guy who isnt arrogant about his brain.  If anyone can save Ganby I suspect he can.  Not sure she deserves it though.

So Natalie was probably all gung ho about Angelinas plan

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 10:39 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Forget about Natalie making a preacher cuss.  Bish would make The Pope swear like a sailor.

Yes!  I was thinking the same thing---the fact that Natalie just insisted on moving ahead with HER plan to boil them all instead of listening to opinions was just too much.  I would've taken MY two eggs out of the water and gone about my business.

Brochachos.  Heh.

Shut up, Gabby.

Shut up, Gabby?

Have you ever considered that maybe it may not be her fault that she needs to share her innermost feelings?  After all, if some "not-too-swift" people were to name their child "Yappy", after they endured all the teasing and bullying in middle school, don't you think they would have a tendency to be a bit too talkative?

I claim that Gabby's need to share her feelings all the time, every day, is due to an unfortunate act of stupidity by her parents.  It's not the poor darling's fault. 

Remember Gabby Hayes? He was exactly the same way. No difference at all. Except he didn't have those adorable ears.  It really pains me to hear anyone criticize the sweet adorable girl.

Edited by MissBluxom
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I doubt “Gabby” is her true given name; most likely it’s short for something like “Gabrielle”.

Gabrielle? Doesn't that mean "Adorable Ears" in French?

Please forgive me. It's been almost a whole week since the last episode and I'm Jonesing real bad.

But you know what? That may go a long way towards explaining why Gabby Hayes was so strange. (he was a man).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371025/

Edited by MissBluxom
On 2018-10-25 at 6:53 PM, violet and green said:

So much confusion re egg hygiene! And yet Old Wise One said it very well on page one.

I think, as well as a stickied basic clothing/food information post, etc, it would be great if we had a basic chicken and the egg post. I mean, we haven't yet got onto should they kill and eat the rooster or one of the hens - "oh, but don't we need the rooster to make the eggs?"

It seems to be a little known fact that when the mummy hen and the daddy rooster love each other very much... Er, actually, no. There is no need for the rooster's presence on the island in terms of egg-making. The rooster is there in life for protection of the hens, and to produce fertilised eggs, and thus make little chickens. But the hens can keep on pumping out an unfertilised egg a day, if not too frightened, very happily.

And as those eggs are created inside the hen's body, they get pretty warm... So they are designed to be fine in a level of heat. And Lyrsa was right - they would last longer unboiled - but her timing was way off; and anyway she is speaking re commercial eggs, and Jeff had said "these are freshly laid eggs".

Since you are so kindly educating us on the sex life of chickens....or lack thereoff, I have one question. Possibly a stupid one. But....do roosters fertilize the egg inside of the chicken? Or after it's laid. From what I remember of biology, all mammals fertilize thru the act but reptiles don't, and I believe birds are warmblooded (thus mammals) and fall under that rule too. It's amazing how much you forget as you get older. I am sure I knew this once upon a time.

1 hour ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

Since you are so kindly educating us on the sex life of chickens....or lack thereoff, I have one question. Possibly a stupid one. But....do roosters fertilize the egg inside of the chicken? Or after it's laid. From what I remember of biology, all mammals fertilize thru the act but reptiles don't, and I believe birds are warmblooded (thus mammals) and fall under that rule too. It's amazing how much you forget as you get older. I am sure I knew this once upon a time.

I'll chime in here in case violet and green doesn't return to this thread...  The yolk is fertilized when it is released into the oviduct and happens very early in the egg formation process.   

As an interesting note and to over simplify a bit, the hen can "store" sperm for a short time so that multiple eggs can be formed, fertilized, and laid without the need for daily mating.

Another interesting tidbit, an embryo will not begin development until the hen has laid (or collected) enough eggs so that she feels she has a decent size clutch at which point she will begin the brooding process by laying on her clutch continuously, her body heat triggers embryonic development.  This is why as long as eggs are collected daily they can still be eaten even if they have been fertilized.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, PrePreBabylonia said:

Birds aren't mammals. All mammals have fur, are born live (eg. not hatched from eggs), and breast-feed their young.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, PrePreBabylonia said:

Since you are so kindly educating us on the sex life of chickens....or lack thereoff, I have one question. Possibly a stupid one. But....do roosters fertilize the egg inside of the chicken? Or after it's laid. 

They mount the poor hens and grip them with their spurs, and take them by the scruff of the neck with their beaks, and go at it, whether the hen is interested or not. I am so glad someone stepped in to explain the rest!

On 11/4/2018 at 2:38 AM, sharkerbaby said:

I'll chime in here in case violet and green doesn't return to this thread...  The yolk is fertilized when it is released into the oviduct and happens very early in the egg formation process.   

As an interesting note and to over simplify a bit, the hen can "store" sperm for a short time so that multiple eggs can be formed, fertilized, and laid without the need for daily mating.

Another interesting tidbit, an embryo will not begin development until the hen has laid (or collected) enough eggs so that she feels she has a decent size clutch at which point she will begin the brooding process by laying on her clutch continuously, her body heat triggers embryonic development.  This is why as long as eggs are collected daily they can still be eaten even if they have been fertilized.

I don't like roosters and don't keep them, but now and then a hen will go broody even so, and sit insistently on a clutch of unfertilised eggs for weeks at a time... It's very poignant.

• Love 2

Wife and I had a feral chicken adopt us for a while once.  Wasn’t a rooster anywhere around, but that hen established a nest on our property (behind our A/C unit) and proceeded to lay eggs - and so long as you always left 1 or 2 eggs in the nest, she’d always come back and lay more.  Kept us in eggs for two years.  :)

• Love 4

One time I was volunteering at a farm (also a park) and was putting eggs back in nests after kids had collected them (so more kids could collect eggs). One hen was so excited to see an egg back in her nest she made all this noise and sat on her egg.

• Love 5
On 10/31/2018 at 1:41 PM, Nashville said:

“Gabby” works for Gabriel as well; I think Gabby Hayes’s given name was actually George, though, so maybe when he was a kid he simply didn’t know when to shut the fuck up.  :>

Yes, it was George.  Gabby was his character name, originally it was Windy.  I don't know if he'd be considered talkative except in comparison with the "yup" kind of cowboy hero.:)

This was the first episode of the season that made me consciously think, "wow, that was a pretty good episode" when it first aired. 

I just re-watched it, and I'm pretty thankful about the outcome - had Nick not been so slow at the snake-ball puzzle thing, or Christian not swapped in after John's failure...or Natalie not been so insufferable - chances are good that a David (Christian/Gabby or Lyrsa/Nick) would be sent packing.

I can't help but wonder if Nick intentionally threw the challenge to spare Christian or Gabby, figuring that Natalie would be voted out on his own tribe (or even having solid plans to do so already).  It's not as if she brought much to Reward or Immunity Challenges.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:13 AM, babs1226 said:

Lyrsa said because they had no safe way to store the cooked eggs, they would start to develop bacteria within 4 hours.  She learned it in cooking school.  I trust her judgement.

I happen to have been certified in food safety, and the mention of 4 hours plus an acronym Lyrsa used in an interview tells me that she took the same or a very similar exam (standardized nationwide).  The quote "In 4 hours, those eggs are going to start creating bacteria" is either very poor wording, or demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of microbiology.

That said, I would have sided with Natalie on cooking all the eggs.  BUT the first time this episode aired I was also doing other things and missed that she tossed in all the eggs over people's objection.  That's a pet peeve of mine and one reason for the theory of Nick throwing the IC.  

• Love 1