Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E05: Jackets and Eggs

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, zoltana said:

Agreed.  It was like reading a high school paper.  Be sure to state your topic in the first paragraph and then offer examples.  Unfortunately run on sentences and improper use of adjectives distracts the reader from completing the article.  

She has a skin care line??  Ok.  I'm glad she's gone.  I actually cheered.  She was making me have irrational anger.  Woman, don't just walk over and take ALL the eggs because you've decided it should be done THIS way.  This is a team not a dictatorship.  

I'm laughing, She's her own pet peeve. This is from her bio:

Pet peeves: People who are negative; people who talk too much and listen too little; people who tend to say no before they consider "the yes;"

Excellent post. She is her own pet peeve. I will remember that forever. Please post more often?

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Boston Rob talked about playing in just a sleeveless t-shirt and shorts because that is what he was allowed by Production. Rob C talked about trying to take someone's coat that they left at camp and how Production took that coat from Rob C and returned it to the bootee. Adam talked about one of the guys on his tribe wearing a womans pants after she was voted out because he was not given pants.

The one insight I'd never heard from last night's podcast is that they're supposed to look like they're in a shipwreck. Which I'd never heard it described in quite that way, but it makes sense. For some reason, that put it into perspective for me.

But I think the confusion comes up because some people have outdoor jackets and others don't. To me, nobody should have outdoor jackets -- sport coats, long-sleeved shirts and sweaters only. Anything that's lined or water resistant material seems like an unfair advantage.

(And I thought Zeke bringing up Sarah wearing his jacket at Game Changers final tribal as a reason to vote for her was random. Little did we know that a year and a half later ...)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

What you said about being STUCK with her. Can you imagine being on the jury with her?  I made a post earlier wondering why no one ever floated that idea. But I'm guessing we just never saw that. Surely, some of them must have thought about what it would be like to be STUCK with her on the jury.

I would lose my mind if I couldn't express a single thought about who should win. I'm guessing the Nasty Nitwit would have decided who should win and would bully her way right till the end until someone took a sharpened 2 by 4 and drove it through her brain. You know. Like on The Walking Dead.  In a sealed Jury room, how else could they deal with her?

YES! She would just dominate every conversation. It would a living hell. You'd have people staging coups and trying to sneak out of jury and go home. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, blackwing said:
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Hurry, someone find the link to that article about how the cast was given canned food in one of the earlier seasons! Seriously though, is this some kind of Mandela effect? Because every damn season people are going on about how much harder it was, food-wise, in the beginning and no one ever remembers that that really isn't the case lol.

Not sure if you mean they were given canned food behind the scenes or not, or if they were given canned food as part of their provisions.  I definitely remember the Africa season when the older blonde lady with the big frizzy hair passed out (or faked passing out) so that big young guy opened up a can of beans and fed it to her.  He got voted out because he ate some himself.  So I do remember those few cans being very precious.  I think they got the cans because there wasn't much in the way of fruits that they could collect on their own?  And being in Africa they had no access to fish.

As far as secret food behind the scenes, might be true but on the whole I don't think the rewards were as good in the early seasons.  I remember Sue Hawk nasally intoning on and on about taaapeeohca, I remember Tina Wesson saving the bag of rice, I remember when Mountain Dew and Doritos were the rewards.  Now the teams get these feasts.  I don't even remember if they had real fishing gear in the earliest seasons.

The tribe that won the reward, did we even see them determine what to do with the chickens?  I thought they would have eaten one right away (obviously it should be the rooster, but often times I think the contestants believe they need a rooster around or the hens won't lay eggs) but I don't think we saw it?  We spent all the time over on Egggate with the tribe that won a plate of eggs.

Last week when the green tribe won the immunity/reward challenge I don't think we even saw them get to eat it.  

Here's the link about things being not always as rough as remembered on the earlier seasons:

ETA: oh why doesn't this work  Here's the link that KimberStormer provided:https://uproxx.com/hitfix/waxing-episodic-looking-back-on-survivor-borneo-on-its-15th-anniversary/

ON 10/4/2018 AT 2:04 AM, KIMBERSTORMER SAID:

Yeah me too, I miss the old school days, back when they gave them rain coats and canned goods.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Special K said:
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Here's an article about Natalie from the magazine of which she is the CEO.  What made me laugh out loud was her comment that she went on Survivor as a "strategy" to build her brand (not only is she a publishing magnate, she has her own skin-care line).

She doesn't need anyone to join her fan club.  She has herself.

That article is seriously unreadable.  I wonder if her entire magazine is like that?!

I looked through it and it's a real mixed bag.  That article stands out for its poor writing, though, much worse than the rest of the magazine from the little I read of it.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm in the minority with you. I think it comes down to different viewers and what appeals to them. Some believe watching people damn near starve and be physically tortured is true to the Survivor aspect of the show, I'm the viewer though who is more interested in watching blindsides and strategy and gameplay. Seeing a bunch of people sitting around freezing or too hungry to even think much less strategize, is not my idea of fun but YMMV of course. 

But the core of Survivor  - of all reality shows, actually - are the social interactions which arise from a combination of stressors and reward.  The way ANY such show makes itself unique is the manner in which those are implemented.  In Survivor, the stressors are an unfamiliar wild environment, and deprivation from common creature comforts.  Remove those, and you might as well be watching reruns of Big Brother - because whatever is left, it’s no longer Survivor.

5 hours ago, Special K said:

That article is seriously unreadable.  I wonder if her entire magazine is like that?!

I figured Natalie bullied some intern into surrendering a thesis they’d written, then tacked a fluff piece onto the end.  :>

5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'm so baffled by that choice of pants. Why that color over, say, black? You know you're going to be dirty for 39 days, black would be so much smarter. Plus, she's got larger hips and the eye is just drawn right to them in those pants.

My assumption was, Angelina totally pissed off whichever staffer did the Target run for her.  ;)

And while I am generally not given to engage in any form of body-shaming, I feel compelled to say - every time I see that expanse of gray across my screen, I am reminded of the third best quote from Good Morning, Vietnam:

General Taylor: Garlick, have you put on weight?

Garlick: Uh, no sir, not that I’m aware of.

General Taylor: Son, the shadow of your ass must weigh twenty pounds.

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Rob, Adam, and Shirin discussed the clothing thing on this weeks Rob Has a Podcast. Adam flat out said that you are not allowed any type of survival clothes, nothing from REI for example, and that you have to wear something that Production thinks matches your profession and/or your role on the show. Adam flat out said that the attractive women are sent out with less clothing then other people so that they tend to get cold. So, yikes.

Hmmm... if that’s the case, then why did some of them (men and women both) have jackets?

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

#JacketGate.

The remaining 3 Goliaths of that tribe (Natalie, Angelina, and Mike) are discussing who to vote out.  They say Nick is useful in challenges, so let's vote out Lyrsa.  (Mike is just pretending, he actually wants to vote out Natalie.)

Then Angelina makes it clear that she wants Lyrsa's jacket.  At first I took this to mean, let's vote out Lyrsa so we can take her jacket after the fact! (Somehow).  BUT NO.  What Angelina REALLY meant was, Angelina wanted to kick Lyrsa off the tribe AND take her jacket!  Talk about adding insult to injury!  Angelina makes it clear to Natalie that she wants NATALIE to vocalize this though, so that Natalie comes off looking like the bad guy and that Angelina doesn't get her hands dirty.  (This was also used on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Jerry and Larry had an assistant who wore a midriff baring top and they wanted her to change.  Jerry got Larry to tell the girl to do it, because Jerry wanted to remain "White glove".  LOL.)

Then, I think Nick approaches the Goliaths to "make sure" they're voting Lyrsa.  (Who knows what Nick wants to do at this point - obviously ideally I think he'd want to team up with Mike and vote Natalie).  Angelina and Natalie kind of hem and haw, but then Natalie kind of implies to Nick, look, we want a jacket.  First Natalie tries to coerce Nick into stealing Lyrsa’s jacket for them, but Nick is appalled and refuses - at which point Natalie shifts tactics and says to Nick, “Well, if you won’t steal her [Lyrsa’s] jacket, what about yours?”  Give us your jacket and you're safe.  Otherwise I'm not making any promises.  Nick immediately realizes this for the threat that it is and accuses Natalie of bullying him.

At Tribal, Angelina somehow couches this all in love AND doesn't take the blame for any of it. She's pretty shrewd and manipulative.  I'll give her that.  And then after Natalie's kicked off the tribe she ruins any illusion of that in begging for Natalie's jacket.  Hahahaha.  Poor Natalie is kicked off the tribe AND takes the blame for the bullying of Nick. LOL.  Insult to injury once again.

Pretty good, but you left out one significant part - fixed that for you.  :)

• Love 11
Just now, Nashville said:

But the core of Survivor  - of all reality shows, actually - are the social interactions which arise from a combination of stressors and reward.  The way ANY such show makes itself unique is the manner in which those are implemented.  In Survivor, the stressors are an unfamiliar wild environment, and deprivation from common creature comforts.  Remove those, and you might as well be watching reruns of Big Brother - because whatever is left, it’s no longer Survivor.

And where I differ is that I don't believe those things have been removed. Just because the food and comfort rewards may a bit more elaborate than in earlier seasons, it doesn't mean that the players are no longer dealing with an unfamiliar environment and deprivation from common comforts. I think comparisons to Big Brother are a bit of a stretch.

• Love 4

Wow.  Angelina is rather entitled, isn't she?  She already has a sweater, but she wants a jacket too?  Then she wants the person ostensibly being voted off to just give it to her?  Because she's a pretty, pretty princess, and the soon-to-be evicted one is not?  Then she convinces the pitbull on her tribe to obtain said jacket for her, and said pitbull not only tries to get the lawyer dude to get the jacket from the soon-to-be evictee, but when that doesn't work, the pitbull doubles down and threatens the lawyer with his own dismissal if he doesn't pony up his own jacket. 

Then at tribal council, Angelina craftily puts her pitbull in the crosshairs of the jacketgate target, knowing that her pitbull is congenitally unable to refrain from being argumentative, thus leaving the mastermind of the entire plot to remain lily white and under the radar.  Then the pitbull actually gets voted out, and Angelina learns that her pet doesn't really answer to her when her pet won't immediately turn around and offer her own jacket to the pretty, pretty entitled princess... 

I have to say, I really loved it that Natalie ignored Angelina and didn't give her the jacket.  Angelina's incredulity that she didn't get the jacket as she kept saying "Natalie?" as her voice got smaller and smaller as the realization set in that she wasn't going to get what she wanted?  I found that delicious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Natalie fan, but I think Angelina's entitlement is egregious, and I'm really starting to hate on her.  She just seems so "me, me, me, me" all the time.  Jeff had it pegged when introducing the theme, some of the Goliaths are Goliaths because everything in their lives has gone their way, they're privileged and have never had to scrap or fight for anything.  It really shows with Angelina's attitude.

• Love 21
21 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Hmmm... if that’s the case, then why did some of them (men and women both) have jackets?

Jackets are not survival gear, they are jackets. I have donesome backpacking, I would not be allowed to be my more technical clothes or gear that I used backpacking. Their are really warm, light weight, tear resistant fabrics out there that I am sure are not allowed, hence the REI comment. So a light weight, easily packed down jacket is not going to appear on Survivor. The technical fleeces that are wind and water resistant are not going to make it on to Survior. I doubt you would see to many technial hiking boots and shoes out there. The jackets and sweaters you see on the show are pretty normal, day to day jackets. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Pretty good, but you left out one significant part - fixed that for you.  :)

I guess I was heartened that Nick vocally, flat out refused to steal Lyrsa's jacket even though

1) he was making vocal "promises" he would vote her out
and 2)  the assholes in "power" were telling him that he'd better do it.
and maybe even 3) he always struck me as sort of a manipulator/operator, going from guy to guy and making these "Alliance names" to ingratiate himself with them and also making it clear he wants to vote out "The women".

The bar is low when you're surrounded by these Goliaths.  

Talking about Natalie is just fun, and I'm going to miss it.  At least we still have Angelina to make fun of.  Natalie, honestly, is likely not even on my list of the top 10 worst personalities this show has seen.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I guess I was heartened that Nick vocally, flat out refused to steal Lyrsa's jacket

[...]

Talking about Natalie is just fun, and I'm going to miss it.  At least we still have Angelina to make fun of.  Natalie, honestly, is likely not even on my list of the top 10 worst personalities this show has seen.  

I think with Nick's charming, happy demeanor, Natalie underestimated his intelligence and acuity.  I was glad to see him call her out.

As to the worst personalities on the show, I just have to say:  Dan Foley.  At least Natalie gave us plenty of LOLs.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

You don't remember Sean building Super Pole 2000 in season 1?

Hah.  I only vaguely remember that but now that you mention it, it sounds familiar.  The only things I remember about Sean are 1) his stupid alphabetical order method of voting which spelled the end for poor Colleen, and 2) he was stupidly obsessed with shaving his chest so he brought a razor as his luxury item.  Come to think of it, when did luxury items (ones that they started on the island with, not ones given out in reward challenges) end?  I vividly remember Colby bringing a giant Texan flag and using it as a tarp and saying something hateable like "every morning when I wake up now I can be proud that God made me a Texan".

When did a fishing spear become a typical reward in Survivor?  And is this season the first season with a supposed actually fishing pole with rod and reel?

Speaking of differences between the past and now, I remember that BB started a fire by using his glasses as a magnifying glass.  I'm assuming there is now a rule against doing that?  There have been plenty of Survivors throughout the seasons who wore glasses.  

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

mention of Angelina's damn pants in every single episode thread all season despite them being relevant in absolutely no way to anything and it just seems like an excuse to fat-shame at this point. 

In my defense as someone who has mentioned them twice, I try never to fat shame and I certainly didn't mean to come across that way. Those pants would look grubby and horribly unflattering on anyone. TBH, I think Angelina is gorgeous and would look amazing in... almost any other garment. Those pants just hurt my eyes, and this is basically the only place I can have the joy of snarking on them. But not on Angelina. I like her. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 7

I don’t see most of the yoga pants comments as fat shaming but more of an awful wardrobe choice. The color is not great for being on TV. I think they look fine on her but I am not a huge fan of the leggings look. I like yoga pants, a wardrobe essential when pregnant, and I do enjoy wearing them but I don’t like the skin tight ones. It is a personal style thing. I actually think most of the female contestants this year look healthy. No one looks like they are super thin and going to turn into a skeleton if they last until the end. The only two women who strike me as over weight are Natalie and Lyrisa but who cares? 

Honestly, I think the yoga pants stand out only because of the color.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

Lyrsa was right, the eggs would have lasted longer uncooked than cooked. Freshly laid eggs are fine to be left out. Many countries do not keep eggs refrigerated in the stores. In North America, our eggs are cleaned to the point that the "bloom" is washed off, and that's why they are refrigerated. Once they are cooked and start to cool is when bacteria would have been forming and causing problems.

So much confusion re egg hygiene! And yet Old Wise One said it very well on page one.

I think, as well as a stickied basic clothing/food information post, etc, it would be great if we had a basic chicken and the egg post. I mean, we haven't yet got onto should they kill and eat the rooster or one of the hens - "oh, but don't we need the rooster to make the eggs?"

It seems to be a little known fact that when the mummy hen and the daddy rooster love each other very much... Er, actually, no. There is no need for the rooster's presence on the island in terms of egg-making. The rooster is there in life for protection of the hens, and to produce fertilised eggs, and thus make little chickens. But the hens can keep on pumping out an unfertilised egg a day, if not too frightened, very happily.

And as those eggs are created inside the hen's body, they get pretty warm... So they are designed to be fine in a level of heat. And Lyrsa was right - they would last longer unboiled - but her timing was way off; and anyway she is speaking re commercial eggs, and Jeff had said "these are freshly laid eggs".

19 hours ago, blackwing said:

Eggs.  Angelina wanted to store them uncooked.  No way they would keep in the heat.  Lyrsa was saying they wouldn’t keep after they were boiled.  I think Natalie was saying that they wouldn’t keep whether they were uncooked or cooked.  So just cook them all and eat them now.  That’s why she was saying it’s only two eggs per person.  I have to agree with her.

19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

"It's true that keeping eggs in the fridge is a weird American quirk. Plenty of countries sell their eggs unrefrigerated and keep them out on the counter, rather than tucked away in a refrigerated egg tray. And if the eggs have never been refrigerated, they can hang out on the counter, or in another cool place, for about a week."

17 hours ago, babs1226 said:

Lyrsa said because they had no safe way to store the cooked eggs, they would start to develop bacteria within 4 hours.  She learned it in cooking school.  I trust her judgement.

8 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm not an eggspert, but I tend to think that countdown from good to bad eggs would be shorter once they're cooked. Lyrsa was saying to kind of dig a shallow spot and keep them out of the sun and they'd be fine. I get organic eggs at the farmers market and don't even need to refrigerate them. Once you cook them, you need to eat them relatively quickly. But I could be totally wrong. 

6 hours ago, greyflannel said:

The Natalie and the eggs situation was just stupid. She wanted to cook all of the eggs at once,  so they wouldn't have to boil eggs again the next morning. Are they really so busy that that would be such a problem? A person with much more knowledge of food safety was very clear that the raw eggs would keep until the next day. She refused to listen and imposed her choice on everyone by cooking all of the eggs anyway, forcing the others to eat them all at once. (Unless they wanted to suffer from the "24 hour flu/stomach flu" by saving the cooked ones for later) 

Eggsactly!

The uncooked eggs would have kept for weeks. Weeks!

Fresh eggs last for ages if left alone out of direct sun. I keep mine in a bowl in the kitchen for up to six weeks, and if refrigerated the eggs my hens lay will last three weeks at least.

Stay tuned for my next post on the joy of backyard hens.

Meanwhile, I'm so thrilled Bosslady has finally gone. Still cross we lost Jeremy, for her. Eggselent that vile Angelina now has egg on her face. So pleased with Mike White and Nick (air guitar), and also Elizabeth being canny as usual re creepy Kara, and being a challenge beast as well.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It amuses me to think that just before tribal, some producer pulled Natalie aside and told her to wear her jacket.

I don't understand why Nick needed to try to convince Angelina to vote out Natalie. They already had the three votes they needed (Mike, Nick, Lyrsa). I guess maybe Mike was hoping Angelina would agree to join them because it would make him seem less culpable if he weren't the only "Goliath" flipping.

They really need to dump the whole "Goliaths v Davids" thing anyway. I think it becomes utterly pointless the moment they switch the tribes around and they did that three episodes in.

Wasn't it Mike who talked to Angelina?  But the thing is I have seen no evidence that Angelina was disliked by those three and I do think it was quite probable that it was going to be a 4-1 vote to get out Natalie before Angelina decided to throw a vote at Lyrsa in a pathetic, yet hilarious, attempt to get  Natalie to give her her jacket.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Jackets are not survival gear, they are jackets. I have donesome backpacking, I would not be allowed to be my more technical clothes or gear that I used backpacking. Their are really warm, light weight, tear resistant fabrics out there that I am sure are not allowed, hence the REI comment. So a light weight, easily packed down jacket is not going to appear on Survivor. The technical fleeces that are wind and water resistant are not going to make it on to Survior. I doubt you would see to many technial hiking boots and shoes out there. The jackets and sweaters you see on the show are pretty normal, day to day jackets. 

See, that's probably where I faked myself out - about every jacket I own did come from REI.  :>  

To be fair, though, that jacket half-hanging out of Natalie's bag looked to be a pretty weatherproof number.

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Yeah, I think Nick's jacket is actually a suit coat.

Nick has the suit coat, yes - but I wasn't sure if Natalie was referring to another jacket, because I didn't think Nick's suit coat would be likely to fit her.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Hah.  I only vaguely remember that but now that you mention it, it sounds familiar.  The only things I remember about Sean are 1) his stupid alphabetical order method of voting which spelled the end for poor Colleen, and 2) he was stupidly obsessed with shaving his chest so he brought a razor as his luxury item.  Come to think of it, when did luxury items (ones that they started on the island with, not ones given out in reward challenges) end?  I vividly remember Colby bringing a giant Texan flag and using it as a tarp and saying something hateable like "every morning when I wake up now I can be proud that God made me a Texan".

When did a fishing spear become a typical reward in Survivor?  And is this season the first season with a supposed actually fishing pole with rod and reel?

Speaking of differences between the past and now, I remember that BB started a fire by using his glasses as a magnifying glass.  I'm assuming there is now a rule against doing that?  There have been plenty of Survivors throughout the seasons who wore glasses.  

Luxury items fell by the wayside after Amazon when people brought things that would get them further in the game, such as cooking oil disguised as massage oil.

Season 1 had a fishing spear as a reward. That is how Richard kept everyone fed and, thus, kept himself in the game.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She must have been hell to live with, but not nearly as bad as Hantz or Dan Foley.

If the info about the clothes gets pinned, could the fact that when the loved ones show up, everyone will be weeping also get pinned?   Because this is season 37, and it's happened every single season, and it's just tiresome to read endlessly about how they've only been away from home for two weeks and why are they falling to pieces.  It is apparently the natural reaction to seeing your loved ones or reading letters from them when you have been playing Survivor for two weeks.

Unless you're Randy and your loved one is your dog.

• Love 10

I just hope that all the contestants will bring some rotten eggs with them to the Reunion. I know the perfect way for them to eggsercise their anger towards the witch on National TV. It would be tres amusante - at least for me.

Edited by MissBluxom
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

To be fair, though, that jacket half-hanging out of Natalie's bag looked to be a pretty weatherproof number.

The one she was wearing in her final word looked liked something you could buy at Burlington Coat Factory. 

• Love 3

Wow, what a strange interview. On the one hand, I'm sad to hear she hurt her back at the first challenge and was in pain and sleepless for 10 days. She's even tougher than I thought.

But on the other hand, she says that her main failing out there was "trying to downplay my power". To me that's another way of saying, "My main fault was that I tried too hard not to be awesome." Comments like that make it impossible for me to parse the rest of the interview. Is she saying what really happened, or simply her interpretation of what happened seen through a skewed and slightly paranoid lens? I guess only people who were there can say for sure. Either way, I can guarantee that no one is changing her mind on anything. Ever. 

• Love 12

I'm finally watching this. Gosh, what a storm. And those two trees falling across the shelter. I hope they're someplace else next season.

I liked that lone baby coconut tree by the reward challenge site.

And here's the slingshot challenge!

So Kara's the Bathsheba among the Davids.

Hey! Natalie made fire!

The fresh-laid eggs won't go bad overnight. They still have their protective coat on and that keeps them from spoiling so soon. The coating is usually washed off before eggs go to the grocery store so store-bought need to be refrigerated.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm finally watching this. Gosh, what a storm. And those two trees falling across the shelter. I hope they're someplace else next season.

I liked that lone baby coconut tree by the reward challenge site.

And here's the slingshot challenge!

So Kara's the Bathsheba among the Davids.

Hey! Natalie made fire!

The fresh-laid eggs won't go bad overnight. They still have their protective coat on and that keeps them from spoiling so soon. The coating is usually washed off before eggs go to the grocery store so store-bought need to be refrigerated.

You haven't been watching this season? Oh dear. This may well be the very best season in a long time. Even if it isn't, it is most definitely Survivor Gold - a terrific season.

I like your posts and I hope you will continue to watch and post.  Hmm .... I've been trying to think of something funny to say that includes the expression, "Be a lamb". But no matter what I think of, it just sounds phony and condescending.  So, I will just stick with saying,  "I like your posts".

Edited by MissBluxom

So he's looking for something green. Well there's lots of green around! And he found another one, at least a clue.

I like idols hidden at challenges. It's fun to watch the clueholder try to sneak the idol.

The orange underwear with the polka-dot socks is quite fetching.  I guess that is Nick's fashion statement. The palm leaf underwear is interesting too. Christian is looking kind of hot in this challenge with that intense concentration.

I wonder if this is Natalie's final episode. Cross my fingers. There's already up to #6?  The hut-builder, Jeremy, Bi, Natalya and someone else.

Yuck, Angelina, wanting Lyrsa out so she can take her jacket. Good for Nick, standing up to Natalie! Don't worry about 4 votes for Natalie, all you need is three.

So Natalie is in sales. So. . . I wonder what happens to her employees who don't meet their sales goals. Boiled eggs for them!

Yes!

Funny, Angelina asking Natalie for her jacket and Natalie ignoring her. 

• Love 1

It's amazing what a bitch (bastard?) karma can be.  If Angelina hadn't manipulated the vote to get rid of Jeremy instead of Natalie (apparently for personal reasons) earlier, then she wouldn't have Natalie as a teammate and might well have had Jeremy instead.  And now she finds herself in a very exposed position on the weakest team.  Natalie's ineptness cost them about 20 seconds in the obstacle portion of the immunity challenge.  Since the challenge was decided by mere seconds, they probably wouldn't have even gone to tribal council if they had Jeremy.  Even if they had gone to tribal, Jeremy and Mike were so tight that it's almost certain that Mike would have stuck with Goliath and Lyrsa would have gone home and the backcountry lawyer would be in the exposed position. 

Of course, with Jeremy choosing the bandana instead of Natalie the three teams may have been very different than the current configuration, But it's hard to think of any situation any worse than Angelina finds herself now.  And in all of these configurations she still wouldn't have a jacket.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Hah, this must have posted as I was writing my post and you said pretty much the exact same thing I did.  I don't know how they would do it.  I recall on Amazing Race, the Asian half of Kat and Nat (the two doctors) was vegetarian but ate a sheep's head to advance in the game.  I would find it hard to have a strict diet and stay true to that diet if I was put into a situation like Survivor.

Nat & Kat deliberately threw up the sheep head after they got to the hotel, because they knew their systems couldn't handle it. IIRC Kat said she'd determined beforehand that she would eat anything she needed to. My fave TAR winners.

I'm a pescatarian, but I'd eat whatever on the show, as long as it was "normal" food. I'd be utterly hopeless at any gross-food challenge, though. 

The thought of Natalie on the jury -- HORRORS!

I hate when one person finds multiple idols. Kudos to the cameraperson for capturing Christian peering through the trees at Dan, though. I wonder if Christian actually saw the idol or if anything will come of that?

• Love 7

Back from vacation and all caught up.  I'm loving this season.  So many great characters.  And I love how they're all playing the game, in a way that is kind of wonderfully elaborated and intricate, but not horrible Survivor Nerd sabermetrics baloney.  Examples of this:

• Carl making a great social play with Kara, saying "boy how do you feel after that blindside?", seeing that she's the one left out of the loop here and offering sympathy, the perfect way to get her trust
  • Conversely Elizabeth, seeing the whole picture, that Kara being on the outs with the blindside makes her the stronger with the Goliaths, and Alec is the one who will need her to advance
  • Mike wanting Angelina on board, but, unwilling to risk any political capital by suggesting it to her, asks Nick to do it (to the point of giving him detailed instructions)
  • Angelina, similarly, wanting Lyrsa's jacket, and getting Natalie to do the dirty work and leave her hands clean
  • All three of the Brochachos using this ridiculous word as an ironic-but-actually bonding thing: I got the feeling that it actually did mean a lot to Christian that the other two Brochachos were cheering him on in the challenge

Just so much to enjoy.  So far this is a fantastic season.  I can only hope the post-merge is as good; we could have one of the first truly great seasons in a long while.  I'm sad to see Natalie go, because she was endlessly entertaining to me, but it's a sign of a great season that I feel like it's ok because there are so many other fantastic characters to enjoy even with her gone.  (Nitty gritty, I think both of these post-swap Goliath votes were totally terrible moves game-wise, but I'm thrilled if we don't have a Pagonging season for once in our lives.)

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, Omeletsmom said:

WTF is WRONG with that woman?? She's entitled to other people's possessions just because she wants them?  She is a freaking sociopath.  

I assume this means Angelina?  I was totally amazed by this too.  In normal circumstances, I think it's totally adorable when Survivors wear each others' clothes, especially when they've been voted out and left something behind, but the way Angelina was just like, "I want her jacket" was truly shocking to me, in much the same way that y'all react when people go through someone's bag.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, Melina22 said:

I noticed Natalie's "compliment" about Lyrsa's purple hair. I think she meant it, but it's like she always throws in a compliment about someone's eyes or hair as she votes them off. Why doesn't that give me a warm, fuzzy feeling?

Well I thought in this case it was because purple was the Goliath tribe color, and she was saying a Goliaths Rule Davids Drool kind of thing.  But these voting confessionals of Natalies are something I'm really going to miss.

14 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I was also confused why they felt the need to get Angelina's buy-in on the Natalie vote, 3 votes were enough to get her out.

More votes is always better.  Being on opposite sides of a vote is a very strong line.  If they blindsided Angelina, she'd be very unwilling to work with them in the future.  And because they knew Angelina doesn't like Natalie either, it makes sense to try to get her to come along instead of leaving her out of the loop -- it's unlikely she'd use an idol to save Natalie or tip her off.  Keep everybody's options open!  It's good gameplay!

13 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I love him, but I can't explain why. He seems so normal, but almost as if he's puzzled about where all the others came from? Like, he already lived there and then these others showed up and he's just rolling with it.

This is one of my favorite things I've ever read here.  @peachmangosteen's comment about "Carl always in the background looking 100% done" made me pay attention and begin to enjoy him, and this is just even better.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

The one she was wearing in her final word looked liked something you could buy at Burlington Coat Factory. 

Take your word for it; my DVR cut off before Natalie’s GBM.  All I saw was the jacket halfway stuffed in Natalie’s bag as she started her Walk of Shame.  :)

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I guess I was heartened that Nick vocally, flat out refused to steal Lyrsa's jacket even though

1) he was making vocal "promises" he would vote her out

I don’t fault Nick for initially agreeing to vote out Lyrsa.  It’s pure survival strategy.  

When you’re on the bottom and someone from the top asks “Are you okay with voting out your grandmother?” you ALWAYS say, “Yessir, you betcha.  Lord know I love Granny, but she’s had a good run - and God knows, try as she might, that sweet little old lady isn’t helping us win the next immunity challenge.  So - whatever you say, sir.”  

And doff your cap if you have one.  

And SMILE, always smile.  

Because that’s how you stay alive in the game - and staying alive is the only way you can be of any use to yourself AND Meemaw.  ;)

Edited by Nashville
Be bold!
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

... but the way Angelina was just like, "I want her jacket" was truly shocking to me, in much the same way that y'all react when people go through someone's bag.

But this is perfectly normal - for someone in prison.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

In normal circumstances, I think it's totally adorable when Survivors wear each others' clothes, especially when they've been voted out and left something behind, but the way Angelina was just like, "I want her jacket" was truly shocking to me, in much the same way that y'all react when people go through someone's bag.

Yeah I literally could not care less about bag-raiding, but that was COLD. I don't know what it was but yeeesh, what an awful person. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Yeah I literally could not care less about bag-raiding, but that was COLD. I don't know what it was but yeeesh, what an awful person. 

I've always wondered whether this show will end due to a falling off of viewer ratings or whether something really terrible (like a murder or other serious mayhem) will occur when someone decided they ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE SOMEONE ELSE'S JACKET and either murders them or attempts to kill them for it.

I know that sounds terrible. But I've always felt this show goes too far with the deprivations and if someone is on the verge of freezing - maybe not freezing to death - but freezing to the point of being forced to leave the game and enter a hospital - I can understand how they can get so desperate they will do something crazy.

I view the deprivation as the real problem here. If people never anticipated they would have to endure a huge storm and they didn't bring the required clothing and they are on the verge of some real injury because they are close to freezing, what is the big deal in giving them some freaking jackets? Or blankets? Or whatever they need to keep them from going crazy? The producers can keep it a secret. They don't have to show the audience they gave people something to help them cope.

I know many people will disagree. I am just bitching once more about the deprivation being so seemingly important to the producers. I would just like to tell them to, "Lighten up, for heaven's sake."

• Love 3

Honestly, I think every contestant should be given a pair of shorts, short sleeve shirt, long pants, long sleeve shirt, a sweater or jacket, underwear, socks, and a bathing suit. Send everyone out with the same clothing and give them options. I have no problem with people being a bit cold, I don't think anyone has ever gotten frost bite or near frost bite, during Survivor. The cold at night leads to the huddle in the shelter and that huddle tends to provide information about who is allied with who. Boston Rob said that you would share your jacket, as a blanket, with your alliance mate. Coach told a story where he didn't share his jacket, he was using it as a pillow, with another player who was cold because they were not aligned and Coach wanted his head to be comfortable.

The clothing is a bigger deal then we have been aware and I do think it is bogus that people are not sent out with the same basic clothes.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think both of these post-swap Goliath votes were totally terrible moves game-wise, but I'm thrilled if we don't have a Pagonging season for once in our lives.

More votes is always better.  Being on opposite sides of a vote is a very strong line.  If they blindsided Angelina, she'd be very unwilling to work with them in the future.  And because they knew Angelina doesn't like Natalie either, it makes sense to try to get her to come along instead of leaving her out of the loop -- it's unlikely she'd use an idol to save Natalie or tip her off.  Keep everybody's options open!  It's good gameplay!

I totally agree with both these points. And also that Mike kept his hands relatively clean and can still work with Angelina if he needs to.

• Love 4

Natalie was an easy Goliath to vote out. There is no one on the Goliath tribe that is likely to complain that she is gone. All Mike has to say is that Natalie was being her normal self and the other Goliath's will understand. Alec is the one who made the more questionable move when he voted out Natalia. It appears that she had allies on the Goliath tribe and had not rubbed people the wrong way. His vote will be harder to explain.

What is nice to see is that the various Goliaths and Davids seem to be fine working together. The only person who was willing to ignore the David's was Natalie. Natalie also says that she did that because she knew that Angelina and Mike had already been talking poorly about her so there was no point in trying to convince Nick and Lyrsa (I'll spell her name correctly one day). She ignores that she was busily bossing people around about building the fire and managed to dig a whole with Nick and Lyrsa before they even had a chance to talk to Mike and Angelina.

But most of the tribes seem to be pretty content to work together. The Brochachas are cute. Dan and John seem to be in on the Goliath joke and are more then willing to play along and make a big deal out of taking in the resident nerd. I fully buy that Dan and John know that Christian is competent because John stepped aside and let Christian take over the puzzle without complaint. No one seemed to have a problem listening to Gabby. This tells me that the Goliaths on that tribe are smart enough to see other peoples strength and working with them. I have no problem with Dan targeting Gabby, he has a good relationship with Alison and John from the original tribe and Christian has been engaging at camp. Gabby makes a natural target. I don't think it is anything along the lines of "she is weak" or she is a nerd, just that he doesn't have a relationship with her like he does the other.

Some of it is the David's being smart about playing as the minority in their tribes, some of it is the Goliath's having some minor/major fractures. I think a fair amount of it is that casting did a good job casting good players this season so that there is blind tribal loyalty.

Overall it has been a good season so far. A good number of people are playing the game and playing well. The players are a pretty diverse mix of folks, which I really like. So while I think the David vs Goliath thing is over all stupid, I appreciate that it brought players who are not cookie cutter players and a good number of folks who are playing the game well.

• Love 14

Natalie Napalm has succeeded in joining the ranks of infamous hard-to-get-along-with Survivor contestants including such legends as Dan Foley, Randy and Corinne, Jerri, Colton, Dog & Pony (or whatever the hell they called those bully giants that Tai thwarted), Grindia (aka "Denver Diva," per the equally repulsive Clay), Special Agent Phile, and Stayfree back in Season 1. Congrats, Napalm Nat. You earned it!

• Love 3
22 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Black is hot as hell in the sun. And there’s a lot of sun there.

It depends. If you wear loose, thin black clothing, you will actually stay cooler. Sure, it will absorb heat at first, but then it has to find a way to get rid of the heat, and it will.  If there's any wind at all, it'll keep you cooler.  If I were to participate in the game, I would bring loose, thin black pants and shirts along with a tight-fitting black jacket to keep me warm.

21 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Wow.  Angelina is rather entitled, isn't she?  She already has a sweater, but she wants a jacket too?  Then she wants the person ostensibly being voted off to just give it to her?  Because she's a pretty, pretty princess, and the soon-to-be evicted one is not?  Then she convinces the pitbull on her tribe to obtain said jacket for her, and said pitbull not only tries to get the lawyer dude to get the jacket from the soon-to-be evictee, but when that doesn't work, the pitbull doubles down and threatens the lawyer with his own dismissal if he doesn't pony up his own jacket. 

Then at tribal council, Angelina craftily puts her pitbull in the crosshairs of the jacketgate target, knowing that her pitbull is congenitally unable to refrain from being argumentative, thus leaving the mastermind of the entire plot to remain lily white and under the radar.  Then the pitbull actually gets voted out, and Angelina learns that her pet doesn't really answer to her when her pet won't immediately turn around and offer her own jacket to the pretty, pretty entitled princess... 

I have to say, I really loved it that Natalie ignored Angelina and didn't give her the jacket.  Angelina's incredulity that she didn't get the jacket as she kept saying "Natalie?" as her voice got smaller and smaller as the realization set in that she wasn't going to get what she wanted?  I found that delicious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Natalie fan, but I think Angelina's entitlement is egregious, and I'm really starting to hate on her.  She just seems so "me, me, me, me" all the time.  Jeff had it pegged when introducing the theme, some of the Goliaths are Goliaths because everything in their lives has gone their way, they're privileged and have never had to scrap or fight for anything.  It really shows with Angelina's attitude.

Very good assessment. The way it played out, I ended up liking Angelina even less than Natalie. Natalie would be harder to be around. But I'd have less respect for Angelina. Natalie is an insufferable know-it-all. A real bossy-pants. But she's so unaware of just what exactly she is doing. Angelina, on the other hand, knows exactly what she's doing and USED Natalie's rough demeanor to her advantage. I don't really feel sorry for Natalie, but it was gross to watch Angelina in action. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Nashville said:

Take your word for it; my DVR cut off before Natalie’s GBM.  All I saw was the jacket halfway stuffed in Natalie’s bag as she started her Walk of Shame.  :)

Now that I think about, I kind of wish Natalie had stopped to pull her jacket (or both jackets, as she appeared to have 2) out of her bag and put it on before Jeff snuffed her torch. ;) That would have been an instant Survivor classic and the video they'd use for any return visits.

In the case of the clothes, I feel like yeah, the question's been answered a hundred times, but also it is directly relevant to this episode and what happened in it with the jackets. Angelina was ridiculous and Natalie was ridiculous but it seems even more ridiculous that Angelina got a flimsy knit cardigan while Natalie had what looked to be a lined coat. TBH I find it more grating that there's been a mention of Angelina's damn pants in every single episode thread all season despite them being relevant in absolutely no way to anything and it just seems like an excuse to fat-shame at this point.

Not fat-shaming her at all (I don't think she's fat anyway, those pants are just unflattering), but since the first episode, Angelina's given off an air of placing a high value on her looks, it amuses me that she's probably at home regretting those unfortunate pants week in and week out. 

Honestly, I think every contestant should be given a pair of shorts, short sleeve shirt, long pants, long sleeve shirt, a sweater or jacket, underwear, socks, and a bathing suit. Send everyone out with the same clothing and give them options. I have no problem with people being a bit cold, I don't think anyone has ever gotten frost bite or near frost bite, during Survivor. The cold at night leads to the huddle in the shelter and that huddle tends to provide information about who is allied with who. Boston Rob said that you would share your jacket, as a blanket, with your alliance mate. Coach told a story where he didn't share his jacket, he was using it as a pillow, with another player who was cold because they were not aligned and Coach wanted his head to be comfortable.

The clothing is a bigger deal then we have been aware and I do think it is bogus that people are not sent out with the same basic clothes.

Agreed. It's always bothered me that women have to compete in very physical challenges with nearly nothing on and have to try to stay covered, which I know would distract the hell out of me. I guess some people don't care, but it shouldn't be out of their control. 

As to the worst personalities on the show, I just have to say:  Dan Foley.  At least Natalie gave us plenty of LOLs.

Yeah, I'd take a Natalie over a Dan Foley any day of the week, mostly because Natalie just is who she is, while someone like Dan Foley was actually TRYING to be memorable. His unfortunate personality would have been enough to put him on my list of most irritating players ever, but he layered his delusions about being a great "character" on top of that and ugh. 

For better or worse, I genuinely believe Natalie was 100% being herself and not going for shock value, which I have to appreciate this many years into the reality TV game. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I love this idea.  Set the playing field very even as far as clothing items then leave it up to them to sort out the rest.  Other variables like strength, intelligence, personality, creativity, skills can all be sorted out during game play.  They could plaster the survivor logo all over that stuff and sell it in their store.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, DannyRugg said:

Natalie Napalm has succeeded in joining the ranks of infamous hard-to-get-along-with Survivor contestants including such legends as Dan Foley, Randy and Corinne, Jerri, Colton, Dog & Pony (or whatever the hell they called those bully giants that Tai thwarted), Grindia (aka "Denver Diva," per the equally repulsive Clay), Special Agent Phile, and Stayfree back in Season 1. Congrats, Napalm Nat. You earned it!

Hehehe, Natalie Napalm.

I fell behind a bit on the show but got all caught up this week ; what a wonderful episode , in a wonderful season.  So many great cast members this year, Christian, Gabby ( She is totally an elf! I agree with whoever came up with that, or maybe shes a pixie :) ) Mike is great on screen, John seems like a very down to earth guy for a celebrity. I also think this cast really plays well off each other. I didn't love Dan at first, but his interaction with Christian and John is entertaining, and gotta give him points for good game play with the second idol. in so far as he knew to get out and look right away and used his existing knowledge of what to look for to his advantage. Of course, finding idols and using idols well are not the same thing. 

Even Natalie and Angelina were 'entertainingly evil' last night ; the contrast to Dan Foley is strong for me, with him I didn't want to see or hear from him. When he was on screen , I just wanted to skip the scene. His desperate need to write his own character for all eternity was not enjoyable to watch.

Angelina was really mercenary in her focus on getting herself a jacket but also clever enough to get Natalie to do the dirty work. Natalie's abrasiveness seems to come from ego / arrogance; .Angelina made use of those very traits to make Natalie her patsy , and Natalie's absolute certainty that she could do no wrong blinded her to the fact that she got used. This was good TV, I enjoyed watching it play out , I really wasn't certain who was going which makes me happy :) 

Also, thanks to everyone chiming in I now know more about eggs then I ever did before

• Love 6