Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E03: I Am Goliath Strong

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've played softball as a child and somewhat as an adult.  It's not hard.  You can get through a game barely moving in the span of 2 hours.  It doesn't really say much about the state of our bodies and shape.  Even players in the major league are out of shape, like pitchers.  Or some ex-third basemen.  

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Having played a lot of softball, I can confirm that there are many softball players who are 1) not very good 2) not fit and plenty of leagues that are more centered around socializing then playing softball.

Say what you will about softball, and league ball is not the same as a picnic game,  I still think if you can swing a bat and shuffle to first base, you can weave a frond or stir a rice pot. Everyone said Natalie didn't lift a finger to help around camp and she claimed she couldn't because she was too elderly and unfit. I thought she must have two knee replacements  or COPD. 

28 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did Jeremy catch fish for the tribe?  He definitely was at least trying.  Sigh.  

Exactly, and that puts him way ahead of Natalie for me.  In a tribe full of braggarts like Angelina a person who actually does something makes a nice contrast to those who just talk about how great they are.

• Love 5

With that said I knew Jeremey was going home ten minutes in....how many times can the editors trot out the hitherto unknown sad backstory in this case a Dad with Alzheimers and think that we the audience don't know they are only revealing this because its the last chance to get it in before the castaway gets booted at the end of the episode. They must think we are stupid or something.

This. The editing is too obvious on this show. Don't they realize that? By the time they got to tribal council I realized Natalie had gotten zero talking heads this episode whereas Jeremy had tons - I knew who was going home.

I never saw the seasons with Phillip but Natalie grates. And that's another thing the players should realize by now . . . if you keep putting her off because you figure she'll be an easy vote next time, before you know it she's in the Final 3. Once she makes the merge nobody will target her because she's no threat to anyone and she'd be the perfect goat to drag to the end because nobody would vote for her.

I'm sure there were valid reasons to vote Jeremy out too but this wasn't the time. He'd always be a target.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

In both his refusal to allow Natalie the game courtesy of private conversations and his absolute dogpiling on Natalie at TC, Jeremy accomplished the impossible - he made me feel sympathetic toward Natalie.  And I hate Jeremy for that.  :)

Exactly. You have to be some kind of horrible to make NATALIE sympathetic.

Jeremy's lucky I wasn't on the island when he started trying to lay down the law about who could talk to who when and in what size groups! Who da fuk did he think he was? I would have gone ballistic on his controlling ass.

He considers himself a superfan but EVERYTHING he did was wrong. He thought telling people he'd gone thru Dan's clothes would help them trust him (Jeremy) -- instead everyone immediately put a "sketchy/shady" label on him (it was accurate, too). When Natalie first rejected his "help" in the previous episode, he couldn't just leave it alone. He had to keep approaching her ... and how does he "help" her? By insulting her to her face! If someone came up to me and said, Excuse me, I want to help you by telling you this -- your people skills suck and you have no self-awareness, my reaction would be a thunderous EFFFFFF YOUUUUUU. I can't stand Natalie but under the circumstances she was downright polite to that little pisher. And melting down at Tribal and insulting her again in front of everyone -- talk about an idiot with no self-awareness! What a fool, especially since Dan then showed him how you say those things in a neutral, more helpful way.

I'm also surprised by how much I'm enjoying John Slamtown. I'd love to see him and Mike work together.

I'm sorry the target is on Gabby on the Davids. I was really hoping for a nerdmance.

Loving this season so far!

• Love 12

Re softball, I think Natalie was saying "I played softball [competitively in HS or college--and oh wait, let's not forget to mention my current team because] I play softball on a women's team."  I don't remember the rest of her words, but I believe the context was that she could be mentally competitive and fight for herself, not that she was all fit or anything.  

I think Christian's bio on the CBS website mentioned a girlfriend, so I hope there isn't going to be a nerdmance, because I hate it when any new love on a reality show ruins a relationship back home, but I'd hate it more with these people I actually like!

Well, I guess I'm glad that Jeremy was so blabber-mouthed about the idol, because now people know about it through means that aren't as divisive as his pocket-checking method (which doesn't bother me, strangely enough).  

I think it was Gabby that saw the final pyramid solution, not Christian.  Not that he might not have gotten there also, sooner than Goliath.

We were in stitches over his populating Slamtown and discussing its government.  Going through family papers, I recently found my dad's childhood notebook where he created whole cities of imaginary characters and made up phone numbers etc. for them, so this is genetically amusing for me, I suppose.

I did think it was kind of rich of Bi to feel so personally betrayed by Gabby when last week she just sat there not answering G's questions and acting like G didn't deserve a chance to discuss the vote.  But I'm sorry she hurt her knee.  This time her size was deployed well in the weaving-in-and-out section.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Finally a Goliath loss, and Natalie survives.  Of course when she steps up in a challenge they lose, but glad Jeremy was paranoid enough and an idol snoop that it cost him.  His strategy rantings made no sense.  I don’t care if I’m on an island of one, I love Natalie so far!  And usually I don’t like her type on here.

Natalia and Angelina can go anytime.  I think Angelina acting like she’s the sole one in charge may come back to bite her.  Hopefully it’s ‘harmless’ Natalie that leads to her downfall.

My hope is she merely said that to survive to the next day.  Because if there is one thing that will make me stop rooting for her (and hate the Goliaths more), it's that.

Being from Boston where it originated, "Boston Strong" after the marathon bombings, it pisses me off to see it used in such a trivial way.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Who are all those people over on the Goliath team?  I was watching last night and was wondering "Hey, didn't they vote out the blonde last week?  Wait, that's a different blonde.  Hold on, did they accidentally film someone from production, who is that other guy?  Whoa, there's two arrogant long-haired brunette women over on that tribe, I just thought she was one person, but both of them are in that frame."  Seriously.  I can pick out Natalie, Jeremy, and the pale bug eyed Hollywood guy.  I know one of the other guys is a wrestler, so I could probably pick him out based on body size, and another guy is a SWAT guy, but without his "POLICE" logo'd shirt, I wouldn't know that was him.

I'm a bit unclear on this tribe as well..  There is Mike the pale bug eyed guy that was on Amazing Race.  Dan the SWAT cop has dark hair and a beard.  There is the wrestler who I have a hard time distinguishing from the other generic white guy, I find their faces very similar.  However, the one I am assuming is the wrestler doesn't seem to wear a shirt very often and I am assuming that he is the one whose body is in much better shape than the other one.

I'm also unclear on the women, apart from Natalie.  There is Kara, the blonde who is infatuated with Dan.  There's a Natalia and there's an Angelina.  I have a hard time distinguishing these two physically.  I'm drawing a complete blank on the last woman.  Which of these women is the third wheel in the Dan and Kara alliance?  I know one is a doctor... who is that?  And I could have sworn that this season has two doctors.  In addition to the one who said she was a doctor at the first challenge, I thought there was another one, perhaps on the other tribe?  Or maybe it was the same woman.

Is the wrestler supposed to be someone really famous?  I don't follow wrestling at all... is he like Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant famous?  I don't think there was that much interaction between the tribes... does Christian actually know who he is, or is he just going by what the guy said at the challenge?  Why is Christian so obsessed with making up stories about a guy on the other team?

• Love 1

Jeff, last night's vote wasn't a blindside. Jeremy was going and the editing the entire episode made that pretty clear. He knew he was on the chopping block and that's why he was being so evil at tribal council. A true blindside is when the person voted out has no idea their name has even been mentioned and they go to tribal council with a smug look on their face and one or more immunity idols in their pocket because they are sure it will be someone else. A bonus is when their confessional has them saying how they're in charge of the game right now and calling the shots on who's being voted out. That's a true blindside and they're delicious to watch. Last night's vote not so much.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Maya said:

Can you imagine being an employee of Natalie’s? [shudders] [kills self]

Yes I can since pretty much all the bosses I've ever had have been the male version of a Natalie.

7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I have to defend Philip a little.  I always saw him as delusional, but in a rather sweet, little boy playing pretend way, just as I saw Coach.  Watching those two work together and try to help each other was one of my favorite seasons. In contrast,   Natalie has a smug meanness to her delusions of grandeur that I don't find endearing at all.

I appreciate the real look too, but we real people should all be aware that no one wants to look at our bare thighs bouncing around.

Yeah Philip was fun.  But no I'm fine with normal people on reality shows that were suppose to be about the rest of us and not about Z-List wannabes.  I really never notice anyone's looks on these shows anyway.  I had no idea if these people were in underwear or bathing suits which quiet frankly pretty much look the same anyway to me.  But then I never have understood what the big deal of being "pretty" or whatever is suppose to be about other than the ancient Greeks thought it was a mathematical ratio aka the Golden Mean.  I hate judging from the outside whether it is skin color or gender or some imaginary "pretty" stuff.  I'll take Gandhi over the latest Hollywood flavor of the 15 seconds fame routine any day.

7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Having played a lot of softball, I can confirm that there are many softball players who are 1) not very good 2) not fit and plenty of leagues that are more centered around socializing then playing softball. If she had said she played on a fast pitch team, I would adjust my statement because most fast pitch teams are competitive teams. Slow pitch can be competitive but there are plenty of Church teams were people are not all that great, beer leagues where all you want to do is drink, and general social teams.

I'm guessing boss lady's league was her company league where she was manager, player captain and "star" player of same as all her employees flattered her about the latter rather than having to take a physical bullet for her.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I've just discovered that there is someone on the Goliath tribe that looks very much like D'Arcy Carden (Janet on The Good Place).

That's who she reminds me off! I couldn't figure it out, so thank you. And  I hope your back is feeling better.

4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

So I am hoping that Natalie is the swing vote in her new tribe and that she votes with the David's. That would be all sorts of awesome.

I need this to happen.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Why is Christian so obsessed with making up stories about a guy on the other team?

Because there's nothing else to do and he finds it entertaining, is my guess.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

However, the one I am assuming is the wrestler doesn't seem to wear a shirt very often and I am assuming that he is the one whose body is in much better shape than the other one.

That's Alec, the bartender. He's had a couple of brief talking heads and reaction shots in the first episode and has a wry sense of humor and is observant, so I like him.

My other fave on that dog-ugly godawful Goliath tribe was Jeremy, and he's GORN. Sob, the fool. 

Am really enjoying the Major of Slamtown, however, and Jeremy's ex-friend Mike.

Are all the women on Goliath vile??? Hopefully we will see some other aspects of their personalities as time goes on, but so far they are a loathesome bunch of smirking smugs.

I'm sad Natalie has stayed over Jeremy, but boy did he shoot himself in the foot and then the other, and then shouted as he shot both feet over and over all through the tribal, so...

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, violet and green said:

That's Alec, the bartender. He's had a couple of brief talking heads and reaction shots in the first episode and has a wry sense of humor and is observant, so I like him.

My other fave on that dog-ugly godawful Goliath tribe was Jeremy, and he's GORN. Sob, the fool. 

Are all the women on Goliath vile??? Hopefully we will see some other aspects of their personalities as time goes on, but so far they are a loathesome bunch of smirking smugs.

I'm sad Natalie has stayed over Jeremy, but boy did he shoot himself in the foot and then the other, and then shouted as he shot both feet over and over all through the tribal, so...

Huh?  What have they done through three episodes that makes ALL of them vile? Smug? Sure. Cocky? Yeah I can see that. But vile?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gummo said:

I'm also surprised by how much I'm enjoying John Slamtown. I'd love to see him and Mike work together.

I am very surprised too. He is a very smart guy and if I didn't know better, I would have pegged him as the lawyer and Jeremy as something else.

I can understand why John has good success with the owners of a Mexican Wrestling League. If he has been truthful, it's understandable why they would have made him some high level exec.

I'm looking forward to him getting JP's job somehow. Wouldn't that be wunderful? Oops. Sorry. I forgot that not everyone dislikes JP as much as I do.

47 minutes ago, violet and green said:

You have to give Mike a lot of credit. (Don't you?). He really pegged the danger of allying with Jeremy. I always thought Mike was very astute about a whole bunch of things. But he is even smarter than I ever gave him credit for. I wonder what the odds are that he could win this thing?

• Love 3

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2018/10/11/survivor-castaway-jeremy-i-made-a-joke-around-the-campfire-and-that-got-back-to-angelina/

"Crawford: She mentioned the joke, but there was no way to talk to her about it because she didn’t want to talk about it on camera. So, what can you do? I’m an open, honest person. Everything about me can be on camera. I’m a lawyer, I’m good with rules. So, I didn’t know what to do with my tribe’s inability to follow rules."

Sorry Jeremy. But I have formed the opinion that you may well be a shit lawyer and I would never want you to represent me. You can't keep your fucking mouth shut? What kind of horseshit is that for a lawyer? I see you on the road to disbarment.  Imbecile!

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Huh?  What have they done through three episodes that makes ALL of them vile? Smug? Sure. Cocky? Yeah I can see that. But vile?

Goodness. I often get that here: please explain your use of this specific adjective or adverb.

I find them vile. VILE. Utterly vile! That is all.

But from episode one, when the blonde doctor was all smirking in a superior manner at the 'hilarious' Davids, etc. VILE! Do you want me to rerun every episode's tape-reel of my personal observations for you?!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Is the wrestler supposed to be someone really famous?  I don't follow wrestling at all... is he like Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant famous?  I don't think there was that much interaction between the tribes... does Christian actually know who he is, or is he just going by what the guy said at the challenge?  Why is Christian so obsessed with making up stories about a guy on the other team?

He's a pretty well known wrestler to those who watch more than WWE (WWF) as he last wrestled there about 7 years ago. Although he won numerous championships there including the Intercontinental and the rebranded ECW Championship and the tag championships. He's been mostly in promotions not "mainstream" in the US mainly Lucha Underground (US) and AAA (Mexico) where he's been at the top of both of those promotions as well. He's currently in the US again fighting at Impact which is considered the second tier promotion behind WWE (along with ROH depending who you talk to). So for those who follow wrestling he's a known figure but he's not a guy who has been popular outside of the wrestling world and made the transition over - aka The Rock - Dwayne Johnson. Probably now known more for movies/TV then being a wrestler.

Am I the only one who wants Christian and John to end up on the same tribe after the swap mainly to see Christian confront John about the thesis you know he's written in his head about Slamtown and see if his hypothesis is true?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm a bit unclear on this tribe as well..  There is Mike the pale bug eyed guy that was on Amazing Race.  Dan the SWAT cop has dark hair and a beard.  There is the wrestler who I have a hard time distinguishing from the other generic white guy, I find their faces very similar.  However, the one I am assuming is the wrestler doesn't seem to wear a shirt very often and I am assuming that he is the one whose body is in much better shape than the other one.

I'm also unclear on the women, apart from Natalie.  There is Kara, the blonde who is infatuated with Dan.  There's a Natalia and there's an Angelina.  I have a hard time distinguishing these two physically.  I'm drawing a complete blank on the last woman.  Which of these women is the third wheel in the Dan and Kara alliance?  I know one is a doctor... who is that?  And I could have sworn that this season has two doctors.  In addition to the one who said she was a doctor at the first challenge, I thought there was another one, perhaps on the other tribe?  Or maybe it was the same woman.

I think the doctor is Allison - she's kind of dark blonde. The wrestler is no where near Hulk Hogan level. I think he wrestles in Mexico quite a bit, and I'm enjoying him way more than I expected.

edited to say Cujo has a much better handle on him.

Edited by Evenshorter
better explanation
16 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Goodness. I often get that here: please explain your use of this specific adjective or adverb.

I find them vile. VILE. Utterly vile! That is all.

But from episode one, when the blonde doctor was all smirking in a superior manner at the 'hilarious' Davids, etc. VILE! Do you want me to rerun every episode's tape-reel of my personal observations for you?!

I guess I have different definition of vile than you do.

I just remembered this from last night, but I forgot to mention it: why was Jeremy being close-captioned? He was perfectly understandable.

35 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2018/10/11/survivor-castaway-jeremy-i-made-a-joke-around-the-campfire-and-that-got-back-to-angelina/

"Crawford: She mentioned the joke, but there was no way to talk to her about it because she didn’t want to talk about it on camera. So, what can you do? I’m an open, honest person. Everything about me can be on camera. I’m a lawyer, I’m good with rules. So, I didn’t know what to do with my tribe’s inability to follow rules."

Sorry Jeremy. But I have formed the opinion that you may well be a shit lawyer and I would never want you to represent me. You can't keep your fucking mouth shut? What kind of horseshit is that for a lawyer? I see you on the road to disbarment.  Imbecile!

She wasn't his client. I don't see any reason why his story should result in his being disbarred.

I just remembered this from last night: why was Jeremy being close-captioned? I thought he was perfectly understandable.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

Angelina has release a "statement"about this:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-jeremy-crawford-voted-blames-angelina-keeley-1151642

""My husband and I are aware of Jeremy’s comments," she said. "While we do not appreciate his blatant mischaracterization of my friendship and alliance with John, I am not surprised he feels compelled to attempt to revise the narrative. I think all of this really comes down to one fundamental Survivor truth: being the first eliminated member of your tribe by a unanimous, undisclosed blindside, must really sting, especially for a supposed 'Goliath.'""

3 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Well that was fun as hell to read.  Now I like Jeremy and dislike Angelina even more!  I understand that people don't always tell the truth..... but what can I say!  I enjoy the hell out of him!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16

Yea Angelina seems so shady all over.  Im team Jeremy.  I dont trust Fin Advisors as a rule anyway.  

Shes just throwing more shade to distract from her trying to manipulate John with a flirtation....that he rejected.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

""My husband and I are aware of Jeremy’s comments," she said. "While we do not appreciate his blatant mischaracterization of my friendship and alliance with John, I am not surprised he feels compelled to attempt to revise the narrative. I think all of this really comes down to one fundamental Survivor truth: being the first eliminated member of your tribe by a unanimous, undisclosed blindside, must really sting, especially for a supposed 'Goliath.'""

Now THAT'S vile.

• Love 11

Just watching now. So Christian and Nick? are throwing Gabby under the bus. I feel sorry for Carl.

Why doesn't Bi just ask Gabby why she flipped. 

Funny, they named a crab after Sebastian. 

Oh, Gabby, little do you know! (Christian is her #1.)

Hey, I saw Natalie do something! She picked something up off the ground and tossed it somewhere!

• Love 3

Nice to see the Davids win. I was cheering for them. Bi did a good job with the rope and logs and I liked seeing Elizabeth get the rope into the right spot.

Natalya sure is snotty. I don't care for Natalie a whole lot, but still...

And the rain stopped! 

Angelina is a wily one.  She's using her Goliath brains

I hope Mike's not getting an infection on his leg. I saw a red patch there. Maybe it was just a bug bite.

This episode's getting very interesting and now my sympathy is swinging toward Natalie. Maybe the next challenge will be a throwing one and she'll ace it.

• Love 1

Random thoughts on episode 3 "Jeremy Spoke in Camp Today"

• Jeremy made the ultimate Survivor blunder, rambling on about his backstory.  Always the kiss of death.
  • Finally, finally a tribe makes good use of the best part of many episodes, the scuttling crabs.  Go crabs!
  • Rocket Nerd and the Mayor of Slamtown are easily the most entertaining competitors this year with goaty-goat Napalm-Natalie in third.

Finally, I'm so glad they've gone to the combined reward/immunity challenges.  The camp life scenes, when they don't involve crying, are fun.  The challenges, on the other hand, are designed by spinning the well-worn Survivor challenge wheel three times for the three recycled challenge stages.  And they contain Peachy's awful play-by-play.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 7

Whoa, Jeremy's taking it too far and I don't like him anymore. I wonder if she reminds him of a woman in his life who was harsh with him, like a teacher or relative. He couldn't roll his eyes in the past but now it's safe to be disrespectful because Natalie can't do anything to him (except vote for him). 

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Whoa, Jeremy's taking it too far and I don't like him anymore. I wonder if she reminds him of a woman in his life who was harsh with him, like a teacher or relative. He couldn't roll his eyes in the past but now it's safe to be disrespectful because Natalie can't do anything to him (except vote for him). 

Or equally likely, he reminds her of someone in her past. Why not? 

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Finally, I'm so glad they've gone to the combined reward/immunity challenges.  The camp life scenes, when they don't involve crying, are fun.  The challenges, on the other hand, are designed by spinning the well-worn Survivor challenge wheel three times for the three recycled challenge stages.  And they contain Peachy's awful play-by-play.

I really like this, too. I don't know if it was just easier because of the storms, but the challenges aren't as interesting to me as what goes on in camp, so I'm good with it. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mystery said:

I just remembered this from last night, but I forgot to mention it: why was Jeremy being close-captioned? He was perfectly understandable.

She wasn't his client. I don't see any reason why his story should result in his being disbarred.

I just remembered this from last night: why was Jeremy being close-captioned? I thought he was perfectly understandable.

I didn't mean that he would be disbarred for telling that story. I meant that any lawyer who can't keep their mouth shut is on their way to very serious problems.

Edited by MissBluxom

As a lawyer, I respectfully disagree. Jeremy is talking about a game show where I'm sure the confidentiality agreements were just about the results. 

No one can hamstring a lawyer into being silent about issues that are not related to a particular case, just because that person is a lawyer. Passing the bar exam doesn't take away your First Amendment rights to talk about everything. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Well that seals the deal.  Angelina, if you don't want to be seen in a showmance right after getting married in real life then don't try and be in a showmance period let alone with a zillion cameras around.  Did she think the cameramen, story editor and video editors as well as Probst and Burnett were all going to do what she wanted like she demanded everyone on her tribe ... to not mention it publicly.  If you don't want something mentioned then do NOT do it!!!!  Talk about totally entitled and thinking everyone else exists for her.  She makes Natalie seem as sweet as a kitten in comparison.  She is definitely the snotty and hypocritical villain on this season for sure.

And then releasing statements when it was Jeremy's turn for an interview.  How low can you go.  What a creep she is.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, cujo said:

Am I the only one who wants Christian and John to end up on the same tribe after the swap mainly to see Christian confront John about the thesis you know he's written in his head about Slamtown and see if his hypothesis is true?

Did anyone else notice Carl cringing and looking annoyed,  in the background, while Christian was sharing his Slamtown hypothesis with Gabby?  I could see him wanting to break those 2 up.  

I just read the article and I love Jeremy's rundown of the various Goliaths. Very insightful. The trouble is that I'll have to do an image search on the various names because other than John and Natalie I don't know who a single one is. Hopefully I'll recognize their faces at least. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, marys1000 said:

It does if you accept Jeremy’s version as gospel truth - but then there’s this as well...

20 hours ago, LanceM said:

Angelina has release a "statement"about this:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-jeremy-crawford-voted-blames-angelina-keeley-1151642

...which puts a slightly different slant on things.

So which is true?  The answer is probably both AND neither.  A certain degree of revisionist history may be likely on either side; Jeremy embellishing the story to minimize the role his own poor gameplay played in his eviction, and Angelina minimizing the story so by inference a reputation-tarnishing and potentially marriage-ruining game relationship (which may or may not have also become a romantic entanglement, at least on her side) is also minimized.

The answer is therefore probably somewhere in the middle, but rarely is it in the EXACT middle - and between the two, I’d probably be inclined to lean more towards Angelina’s believability than Jeremy’s.  Not because I prefer Angelina over Jeremy - hell, I don’t like either of them - but on account of a few points, some of which are independent of either contestant’s bias:

1. Most salient is the fact TPTB have not shown us anything remotely “Johngelina”.  Unless I’m missing something, the only broadcast inference to any degree of relationship (strategic or otherwise) between Angelina and John has been a single fragment in a sentence (Angelina saying “Natalia has Alec, you have Dan, and I have John”) - and absent its ‘company’ in that sentence, the fragment contains no context or content inferring the relationship was romantic vs. strategic.  But if a romantic aspect did exist, why didn’t we see it?  This is not a show which hides controversial or romantic depictions to ‘protect’ the participants- quite the opposite, in fact.  We’ve frequently seen simple friendliness embellished as romance for the purposes of good TV, and Survivor doesn’t sacrifice solid controversy footage to protect a contestant’s personal life - if you don’t believe me, just ask Zeke.  Think Production is going to bury footage of Angelina cozying up to John, especially if friction resulting from such a showmance were to directly figure in an eviction?  No fucking way.
  2. Jeremy plays up the role a showmance-inspired revenge tactic allegedly played in his eviction, and in turn plays down the role played by his abrasive relationship with Natalie - but that conflict we DID see.  Even allowing for Production-added editorial embellishment, it was pretty damn horrific.  Jeremy may attempt to minimize as much as he wants - but the simple truth is, the camera can only capture what the participants actually do.  Jeremy didn’t just throw Natalie under the bus, he parked its back tires on her and attempted to burn out on her ass (not that Natalie wasn’t giving as good as she got).  Simple broadcast time/editing constraints, though, would lead me to suspect the Jeremy/Natalie dynamic was even more toxic than depicted, not less - hard though that may be to believe - so Jeremy's minimization attempts in this aspect of his account lead me to doubt the rest as well. 

And that’s just about enough typing on THAT bullshit.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Did anyone else notice Carl cringing and looking annoyed,  in the background, while Christian was sharing his Slamtown hypothesis with Gabby?  I could see him wanting to break those 2 up.  

Carl is always in the background looking annoyed lol.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

It does if you accept Jeremy’s version as gospel truth - but then there’s this as well...

So which is true?  The answer is probably both AND neither.  A certain degree of revisionist history may be likely on either side; Jeremy embellishing the story to minimize the role his own poor gameplay played in his eviction, and Angelina minimizing the story so by inference a reputation-tarnishing and potentially marriage-ruining game relationship (which may or may not have also become a romantic entanglement, at least on her side) is also minimized.

The answer is therefore probably somewhere in the middle, but rarely is it in the EXACT middle - and between the two, I’d probably be inclined to lean more towards Angelina’s believability than Jeremy’s.  Not because I prefer Angelina over Jeremy - hell, I don’t like either of them - but on account of a few points, some of which are independent of either contestant’s bias:

1. Most salient is the fact TPTB have not shown us anything remotely “Johngelina”.  Unless I’m missing something, the only broadcast inference to any degree of relationship (strategic or otherwise) between Angelina and John has been a single fragment in a sentence (Angelina saying “Natalia has Alec, you have Dan, and I have John”) - and absent its ‘company’ in that sentence, the fragment contains no context or content inferring the relationship was romantic vs. strategic.  But if a romantic aspect did exist, why didn’t we see it?  This is not a show which hides controversial or romantic depictions to ‘protect’ the participants- quite the opposite, in fact.  We’ve frequently seen simple friendliness embellished as romance for the purposes of good TV, and Survivor doesn’t sacrifice solid controversy footage to protect a contestant’s personal life - if you don’t believe me, just ask Zeke.  Think Production is going to bury footage of Angelina cozying up to John, especially if friction resulting from such a showmance were to directly figure in an eviction?  No fucking way.
  2. Jeremy plays up the role a showmance-inspired revenge tactic allegedly played in his eviction, and in turn plays down the role played by his abrasive relationship with Natalie - but that conflict we DID see.  Even allowing for Production-added editorial embellishment, it was pretty damn horrific.  Jeremy may attempt to minimize as much as he wants - but the simple truth is, the camera can only capture what the participants actually do.  Jeremy didn’t just throw Natalie under the bus, he parked its back tires on her and attempted to burn out on her ass (not that Natalie wasn’t giving as good as she got).  Simple broadcast time/editing constraints, though, would lead me to suspect the Jeremy/Natalie dynamic was even more toxic than depicted, not less - hard though that may be to believe - so Jeremy's minimization attempts in this aspect of his account lead me to doubt the rest as well. 

In his RHAP interview, Jeremy said it was definitely a showmance, but was not at all clear of what his definition of "showmance" is.  So I have no idea if something was really going on between them or not.  Jeremy did not give any indications of it being a true showmance, in his description of what he said went on.  It sounded more like an alliance.  I'm giving Angelina the benefit on the doubt on this, given that there is no evidence and Jeremy's claim was very vague.   I imagine other tribe members will chime in at some point.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, green said:

And then releasing statements when it was Jeremy's turn for an interview.  How low can you go.  What a creep she is.

Under the circumstances, CBS/Survivor allowed for her to make a rebuttal, similar to Zeke's statement after the Varner incident. 

Jeremy apparently started this war of words with a prepared statement he read out at his first post-game interview with Dalton Ross, before he would answer any of Ross's questions.  A courtroom tactic to be sure, but hardly normal Survivor interview behavior.  And given the nature of the "accusation", TPTB decided to let her release a statement on this issue only, instead of making her wait until her gag order would normally be released (whenever that might be.)

Spoiler

I also think that Alec's NDA violation had something to do with this whole thing. 

Like perhaps Jeremy was trying to goad Angelina into speaking out of turn thus violating her NDA and also getting fined for millions of dollars, but CBS permitting her to respond avoided that outcome.

Not that I have any evidence to support this theory.  But given the prepared statement thing, it seems possible.

And note that all the bad behavior we've seen this season thus far comes from Goliath tribe members.  Not a single issue amongst the Davids...so far.

• Love 4

Jeremy did this to himself.  ugh!!  I wanted more Jeremy and Mike time.  Plus if they end up "dropping their buffs" anytime soon this gives Natalie a new chance.  I can't stand the attitude that to run your own company and climb your way to the top means that you have to be an asshole. I've found that some of my favorite bosses were team players who were personable, nice and smiled. Not dictating everyone.  I am so unwilling to go above and beyond for those types of people.

I found this quote from her from the Survivor site

"I am a young 57-year-old with great energy and people often guess my age to be 10-15 years younger than I am. I understand the game."

But now she wants to claim she is a senior citizen?  She is not energetic and she does not strike me as someone who is in their 40's.  You do not understand the game, Natalie.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, JudyObscure said:

Watching those two work together and try to help each other was one of my favorite seasons.

That would have been a great season, if Coach and Phillip had ever worked together.

21 minutes ago, cherrypj said:

That would have been a great season, if Coach and Phillip had ever worked together.

That would have been an interesting season, if it had ever happened.  These two have never been on the same season.

• Love 1

Sorry.  I have quite a few memories of things that never happened.  Now, if one of you who still has a reliable brain would tell me who that was telling Philip not to wear the feather in his head to tribal, I'll appreciate it.  Was it Boston Rob?

4 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Sorry.  I have quite a few memories of things that never happened.  Now, if one of you who still has a reliable brain would tell me who that was telling Philip not to wear the feather in his head to tribal, I'll appreciate it.  Was it Boston Rob?

Pretty sure that was Tyson in HvV. He had a night-vision heart-to-heart with Coach where he told him he needed to act a little differently, stop telling his stories, stuff like that. I don’t specifically remember him talking about the feather but it would have fit perfectly into that conversation.

Edited by RescueMom
You wrote Philip but I read it as Coach because of the feathers. Did you mean Coach or I am forgetting that Philip also wore feathers?
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RescueMom said:

Pretty sure that was Tyson in HvV. He had a night-vision heart-to-heart with Coach where he told him he needed to act a little differently, stop telling his stories, stuff like that. I don’t specifically remember him talking about the feather but it would have fit perfectly into that conversation.

YES!  It was Tyson talking to Coach! Thank you! 

I'm glad some of it really happened.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Nashville said:

I think Jeremy was using the term showmance sort of loosely....in that it seemed all on Angelina's side.  He said John wasn't reciprocating.  Persoanlly I think Angelina was trying to Pavarti John.  And I think Angelina is far more shady than Jeremy so I weigh his word more.  And it certainly wouldn't be the first time the editors don't show us showmances for whatever reason.  Say.....last seasons romance between Seabass and Jessica.  I personally believe Jessica would not have been around for nearly as long as she was if not for him, their relationship documented outside the game, but not ever shown on TV show.  
So yea.  Jeremy.  And enough typing on that. 

Edit to include LanceM's post in Survivor in the Media (thanks for that!) re John saying he was in an alliance with Angelina at that point.  

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, cherrypj said:

And I would not watch. I HATE the contrived characters. Just play as yourself and stop trying to play a specific character that gets air time. So yeah, they are on my boycott list along with Russell, Rupert, Boston Rob ( he doesn’t annoy me but he has played far too many times). I have a few left off there that I know I would hate i I saw their name... 

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Not sure who it was, but one of the "I-can't-tell-them-apart" young ladies was wearing a pair of earrings on this episode that caught my eye.  Just got back from Piercing Pagoda because I wanted some like them.

It caught my eye, too, because I was thinking, oh man, that is an accident waiting to happen on a challenge. R-i-i-ip! It was the blonde doctor,  Alison.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, violet and green said:

It caught my eye, too, because I was thinking, oh man, that is an accident waiting to happen on a challenge. R-i-i-ip! It was the blonde doctor,  Alison.

I thought so too.  Maybe I never noticed before, but there were a lot of ladies wearing earrings.  Natalie was wearing a pair too.

If I was going on survivor, I'd get the cheapest posts I could.  No fear of losing nice earrings, little fear of having my ear ripped during a rough challenge.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 2