Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E03: I Am Goliath Strong

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I thought it was so obvious that Jeremy was going that I hoped it was a misdirection and they really were going to all vote out Natalie.  After a good start in the first episode I'm finding it hard to like anyone now and we're only 3 epis in!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Sad to see Jeremy go, but he played way too hard and made people nervous.  If he just took it easy they would have voted the useless, obnoxious cow out instead.

I was so glad to see Jeremy voted out. He was exhausting to watch. I would watch the clips of the David tribe where they're all strategizing and whispering to each other and carrying on and then they'd switch over to the much more mellow Goliath tribe and it was like a mini vacation, except for Jeremy.  Heh, crab races!  And I did not like Jeremy's know-it-all attitude. That was dancing on my last nerve.

Natalie?   She's become mildly amusing, watching to see how far her delusional arrogance goes.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 6

I wanted to see Jeremy and Natalie go. Natalie is clearly not liked by anyone on her tribe. The comments about her behavior, communication style and over all attitude at Tribal were pretty uniform. She clearly has a different view of the world then the rest of her tribe does. Yes, she has a hidden alliance with John but I suspect that is because John is smart enough to see how easy she will be to beat and not because he thinks she will be great at anything. Hell, it could be that John respects a real life heel.

Jeremy was over the top paranoid and it was clear that he put a huge target on his back. Why the hell would you call a meeting to discuss the side alliances and conversations that he had no idea what they were about. Perhaps he should have clued into the fact that the only side alliance he had was Mike and that they others were not pulling him aside. I appreciated how he approached Natalie last week but his approach this week was disrespectful and damaging. Granted, Natalie wasn't much better.

To be frank, neither was going to be a threat in the game. They both have crap personal skills. Yes, I heard the comments about Jeremy being a charmer but I suspect that was cover for "he is stronger and an immunity threat and doesn't grate on people" as opposed to he was a charmer. Clearly, Jeremy was so over the top in his play that it was not that hard to organize the vote against him. A few people appeared to hold out because Natalie is just that bad but they even got Mike to vote for Jeremy. So I am not buying that Jeremy was playing a great social game.

Natalie needs to go just for the idiotic Goliath Strong comment because I never have to hear that phrase again, with any tribe.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

I was so glad to see Jeremy voted out. He was exhausting to watch. I would watch the clips of the David tribe where they're all strategizing and whispering to each other and carrying on and then they'd switch over to the much more mellow Goliath tribe and it was like a mini vacation, except for Jeremy.  Heh, crab races!  And I did not like Jeremy's know-it-all attitude. That was dancing on my last nerve.

Natalie?   She's become mildly amusing, watching to see how far her delusional arrogance goes.

Yeah.  I liked Jeremy and thought he had a lot of potential. He is smart, fairly athletic, social and knows the game.  But, he started playing the game way too hard and way too paranoid.  This was especially stupid in a tribe that was so confident and laid back.  They were apt to just vote out the disturbance, Natalie, but Jeremy became a disturbance and a threat with all his paranoia.  

14 minutes ago, Maya said:

Can you imagine being an employee of Natalie’s? [shudders] [kills self]

It could be awful.  Then again, getting bossed around isn't as offensive when it is your boss doing the bossing.  She seems generally obnoxious, but her biggest fault on the island is that she tries to boss around people she has no authority over.  

• Love 13
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

When Nick, Bi and Davie were on the raft while Gabby was fishing, Bi was talking about how she wanted Gabby out because she turned on Jessica.  Nick is all “I know right”.  But can’t Bi do the math?  Who does she think voted out Jessica?  She knows that there were five votes for Jessica, she should know who the four votes were for Lyrsa, why can’t she figure out that Nick voted for Jessica?

She had it totally figured out. She blatantly said to Carl, the only person who didn't flip on us was Davie.  She knew exactly where all the votes were.

However, she felt betrayed by Gabby, and not anyone else.  Apparently Gabby acted really close with her (this is Bi's POV, I don't claim to know interpersonal dynamics on the tribe) and didn't feel betrayed by Nick or (Christian?).

3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I loved the scene at the team meeting.  Everyone is wearing their scruffy/dirty shorts/underwear/buffs and Mike White is sitting at the fringe wearing clean looking jeans, a button down shirt, hat and carrying a man bag, looking, looking like a tourist that wandered onto the set.

I love him.  I really hope he stays.  He and Jeremy's friendship was so fun to watch.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't like Natalie. I have not liked her since the first episode. Saying that at 57 she is a "senior citizen" makes me dislike her on a whole new level. Why would they keep her? What value is she? She can't be trusted, she's not good in challenges, she doesn't do anything around camp, & nobody gets along with her. What is the purpose of keeping her? I don't get it.

Yes, she bugged me with the senior citizen bullshit.

But also, wanting to talk to the others, and asking Jeremy to leave, then insisting that it wasn't about him was just too much for me.   I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep her around, she's abrasive and useless. 

• Love 10

I think Nick was smart to want to try to get Gabby out, though it became moot because they won the challenge.  Getting rid of her would have solidified him as Christian #1 ally, plus it would breakup the nerd power couple.  He definitely should have at least floated the idea, to see how loyal Christian really was to him.   

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Basically, Natalie could be related to Philip for all we know. All delusions and bluster, and I bet nobdoy would actually take a bullet for her like she claims. The worst part is that she'll go far as a sacrificial goat, and those that are less fat will get cut away because people might think she'll be someone else's problem. The first time Philip played, he got $100K basically for being an asshole. The second time, it took a multiple idol play to send him to the bench. I swear, I make the comparison not out of race, but because Natalie and Philip are mostly the same person . . . and that person was/is a pain in the ass to watch every week.

I have to defend Philip a little.  I always saw him as delusional, but in a rather sweet, little boy playing pretend way, just as I saw Coach.  Watching those two work together and try to help each other was one of my favorite seasons. In contrast,   Natalie has a smug meanness to her delusions of grandeur that I don't find endearing at all.

12 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Snarky remark : which fashion look is worse... the gray yoga pants, or the Cowgirl with no pants at all? Actually, much of the cast is pretty snarkarific this season, fashion-wise. Then again, I do appreciate the realness, and that this isn't a cast of models.

I appreciate the real look too, but we real people should all be aware that no one wants to look at our bare thighs bouncing around.

11 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Ending on a positive note Jeremey was SO AN AVATAR for us Previously TV Forum members when he was dropping truth bombs about  Natalie early on in the tribal!

I especially loved his remark about Natalie, "She's incompetent and over-confident."

8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Natalie: "I am a softball player. I play on a women's softball team."

An interesting comment considering in the first episode she said she wasn't fit enough to help with the shelter. Hmmm.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really hated at Tribal when Natalie said something innocuous like "I'm old - vote someone else out" and then Jeff said "JEREMY"?  Why does he get to do dumb shit like that?

I couldn't believe that either. But then I thought maybe he was just going to make a comment on Jeremy's reaction to what Natalie was saying and it was sort of edited to look like he was calling Jeremy out as someone they could vote out.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

An interesting comment considering in the first episode she said she wasn't fit enough to help with the shelter. Hmmm

Having played a lot of softball, I can confirm that there are many softball players who are 1) not very good 2) not fit and plenty of leagues that are more centered around socializing then playing softball. If she had said she played on a fast pitch team, I would adjust my statement because most fast pitch teams are competitive teams. Slow pitch can be competitive but there are plenty of Church teams were people are not all that great, beer leagues where all you want to do is drink, and general social teams.

I am not so sure why Gabby is everyone's target. It is clear that Gabby is not physically the strongest player and could easily be a target. So if Bi and Carl and Davie are annoyed because Gabby was worried that she was the target and flipped the vote, then I am just going to roll my eyes. Nick is overplaying his bullshit Gabby concern, especially since he clearly swapped his vote. I am hoping that Bi and her alliance see right through Nick's BS.

And I want Nick gone soon mainly because I am tired of the Mason Dixon stupidity. I still think that Christian is playing along with it because Christian desperately wants to be seen as a mastermind and puppet master and thinks this is one way to go about earning those titles. At the same time, there is no way I see Christian voting out Gabby. I fully buy that Christian bonded quickly with Gabby and will have a hard time letting her go for any reason. Not only are the two similar in personalities, Christian is totally into Gabby. I suspect that his libido will overrule any attempt to boot Gabby. Christian understands the concept of broing down but has no clue how to actually bro down.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Having played a lot of softball, I can confirm that there are many softball players who are 1) not very good 2) not fit and plenty of leagues that are more centered around socializing then playing softball. If she had said she played on a fast pitch team, I would adjust my statement because most fast pitch teams are competitive teams. Slow pitch can be competitive but there are plenty of Church teams were people are not all that great, beer leagues where all you want to do is drink, and general social teams.

I am not so sure why Gabby is everyone's target. It is clear that Gabby is not physically the strongest player and could easily be a target. So if Bi and Carl and Davie are annoyed because Gabby was worried that she was the target and flipped the vote, then I am just going to roll my eyes. Nick is overplaying his bullshit Gabby concern, especially since he clearly swapped his vote. I am hoping that Bi and her alliance see right through Nick's BS.

And I want Nick gone soon mainly because I am tired of the Mason Dixon stupidity. I still think that Christian is playing along with it because Christian desperately wants to be seen as a mastermind and puppet master and thinks this is one way to go about earning those titles. At the same time, there is no way I see Christian voting out Gabby. I fully buy that Christian bonded quickly with Gabby and will have a hard time letting her go for any reason. Not only are the two similar in personalities, Christian is totally into Gabby. I suspect that his libido will overrule any attempt to boot Gabby. Christian understands the concept of broing down but has no clue how to actually bro down.

I laughed when Natalie said "I played softball!" because, a) As you mentioned, most softball players are not great athletes b) The phrase "playing softball" means to do things weakly.  IOW, the opposite of playing hardball.  

She should have said, "I'm a softball player, but I play HARDBALL!"   

I think Nick is smart to play up Mason-Dixon and trying to get Gabby out.  If he could pull it off, he would be in the solid, secret alliance with Christian, while also bonding and build trust with Bi, Davie and Carl.   

• Love 6
7 hours ago, green said:

Natalie the bossy one has one of the generic while males wrapped around her little finger?

I think they meant Natalia, not Natalie, is with Alec.  Natalia is the brunette who is not as annoying as Angelina.

Natalie’s softball analogy confused me because I had no idea where she was going with it.  “I’m a softball player.  I play softball,” is how I heard it.

• Love 4

So happy the Goliaths lost because I was ready to see them in tribal council and see the scrambling with that tribe. I did have a feeling they would lose when the first half of the episode had the "Gabby is going home" narrative running so strong. I knew then the Goliaths would lose and that it would become a Natalie vs. Jeremy battle. I like Jeremy but for as much of a superfan as he claimed to be, he played this very badly. Mike read the situation right at the start of the episode that Jeremy would make his paranoia and overthinking cause him to implode. And that's exactly what happened. 

Hate to say it but Natalie was right. Arrogant and lacking self awareness as much as she is, Jeremy at the end was just as bad. He made his paranoia make him WAY over play his hand when the fact was Natalie had done more than enough to hang herself in the game. He needed to just calm down and play out her inevitable elimination whenever they went to tribal. But he allowed himself to overthink everything to where he was running around going through people's things, telling everyone someone has an idol so he looked like he was trying to stir the pot, lecturing people about not strategizing but then later doing it himself and getting into verbal arguments with Natalie. I can see how by the end, the tribe decided that they were used to Natalie being who she is but that Jeremy was the more annoying one. 

I really like John on the Goliaths. I like his energy and demeanor. Just seems like nice, chill guy. I don't care for any of the women or hell any of the other tribe members. I don't dislike them per se just not exactly rooting for any one of them. I'm not too jazzed about most of the David's either. I like Christian, Carl and Davie but the others are meh to me. And I definitely saw the annoying with Bi this week. I get being upset about being blindsided, even if that is the game and wanting to exact your revenge or whatever but this constant blabbing she was doing where it's clear she felt personally affronted by Gabby's action was annoying. Girl bye. This is Survivor. Gabby didn't vote her ass out. She just made a move she felt was best for her and didn't tell Bi because Bi was aligned with the woman they went after. For Bi to act like Gabby offended her so greatly was some high level of arrogance in my opinion.

Meanwhile, oh Gabby you got yourself in quite the little tight spot didn't you? Because the thing is, Nick and Christian aren't totally lying in saying it was her idea because that's what they know to be true since she was the one who brought it to them and rallied to get their support for the votes. So Elizabeth who was actually the one to decide Jessica made the most sense, is sitting pretty with Lyrsa, who the others probably figure just went along with anything to save herself. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

I didn't agree with the Jeremy vote. It felt reactionary and short-sited. Sure, no one likes to be told how to play the game; Jeremy was going a little too hard here. But you don't vote out physically capable players over someone like Natalie that early on. They're going to need him for a few more challenges, at least. I get voting out threats, I just think it's too early. 

Natalie has to be one of the LEAST self-aware people I've ever encountered. I don't think it's likely she'll learn anything from this. But I've been wrong before. 

I was just glad to see the Davids win one. Not only because I hate for the game to be so one-sided; but also because I was worried about Gabby. I like her and want to see more from her. But - girl, you in danger! It was smart of the guys to play it off like the Jess vote was all her - and it worked. But hopefully by the next time they're back at TC, new issues will come up. 

I want to like Bei, because she's a martial artist and that's a big part of my family's life. But something about her seems very arrogant and "mean girl". I'm curious to see more of their tribe dynamics after the blindside of last week. But we got a lot of the Goliaths this week. 

I don't really like any of the girls on that tribe, although their "leading the boys around like puppies" alliance COULD be interesting. So far I'm most interested in Mike and the wrestler. 

• Love 8

I totally cringed when Angelina was going on about how manipulative she is in real life, like when getting pulled over for speeding and stuff.  It's bad enough to do it but to brag about it.  Plus, people!, she's a financial advisor.  This is why we need that legislation that makes it illegal for FAs to act against their clients' best interest.  If I was her client I'd be moving my money.

There were tons of "pride [will probably] goeth before the fall" moments this episode -- Jeremy for sure, but also plenty with Nick, Christian, Angelina, Natalie.  Though I have to say I found Natalia's confession that she wanted to vote out Natalie simply because she dislikes her so much pretty refreshing.

Jeremy was out of control, he and Natalie are clearly each others' kryptonite, but I think they should have kept him.  Whoever said Natalie will not hold "goliath strong" once they merge is almost certainly correct.

I think Gabby is way more into Christian than he is into her.  I kind of love Christian myself.

I'm surprised to say it, but Slamtown is pretty much my favorite person on the Goliath team, possibly on this season.

ETA:  I'd be happy to have Natalie stay in order to make a hilarious Voting Booth speech every week.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

When Nick, Bi and Davie were on the raft while Gabby was fishing, Bi was talking about how she wanted Gabby out because she turned on Jessica.  Nick is all “I know right”.  But can’t Bi do the math?  Who does she think voted out Jessica?  She knows that there were five votes for Jessica, she should know who the four votes were for Lyrsa, why can’t she figure out that Nick voted for Jessica?

I didn't think it was that she didn't realize he voted that way. I thought that she was under the impression that Gabby had some how hornswaggled the boys (Nick and Christian); therefore they weren't responsible for their votes. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Maya said:

Can you imagine being an employee of Natalie’s? [shudders] [kills self]

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It could be awful.  Then again, getting bossed around isn't as offensive when it is your boss doing the bossing.  She seems generally obnoxious, but her biggest fault on the island is that she tries to boss around people she has no authority over.  

I would tend to agree... for all we know, she is a great boss.  Her bedside manner might be hard to take but she has started and run a successful newspaper (or maybe it's a magazine) so she must be doing something right.  I have a feeling that she is tough on her employees but she takes care of them and rewards effort and hard work.  The people she takes under her wing probably thrive at her company.

That said, I think some of what her tribe was saying at tribal was quite on target.  Dan talked something about how you have to recognise the environment you're in and adapt.  She did seem to at least acknowledge it and hear it and recognise that she might have to change how she deals with people there.

At the Goliath tribal meeting held by Jeremy, I didn't see Dan there.  Was he there?  If so, I didn't notice him.  I thought it would have been a perfect opportunity for Jeremy to call Dan out on the idol.  He had already told half the people that Dan had one, and he told them he knew because he looked in Dan's pants.  Alec and the woman he was next to seemed disgusted not with the fact that Jeremy looked in Dan's pants but with the fact that Dan found an idol and was hiding it.  Why?  If they had found the idol I'm sure they wouldn't have told everyone either.  Not sure why Jeremy wouldn't have tried to get people to flush the idol.  Target Kara.  Dan would have used it on her.

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

I totally cringed when Angelina was going on about how manipulative she is in real life, like when getting pulled over for speeding and stuff.  It's bad enough to do it but to brag about it.  Plus, people!, she's a financial advisor.  This is why we need that legislation that makes it illegal for FAs to act against their clients' best interest.  If I was her client I'd be moving my money.

Yes!  I couldn't believe that she is a financial advisor.  She seems like such a nasty untrustworthy person.  The kind of person that thinks she can get people to do what she wants by smiling and (trying to) look pretty.  Plus she's such a "mean girl" that acts so entitled.  Why people would trust her with their money is beyond me.  If I were her client I'd check to see how many thousands in fees she racks up on my account and compare it to other people's fees.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I would tend to agree... for all we know, she is a great boss.  Her bedside manner might be hard to take but she has started and run a successful newspaper (or maybe it's a magazine) so she must be doing something right.  I have a feeling that she is tough on her employees but she takes care of them and rewards effort and hard work.  The people she takes under her wing probably thrive at her company.

That said, I think some of what her tribe was saying at tribal was quite on target.  Dan talked something about how you have to recognise the environment you're in and adapt.  She did seem to at least acknowledge it and hear it and recognise that she might have to change how she deals with people there.

At the Goliath tribal meeting held by Jeremy, I didn't see Dan there.  Was he there?  If so, I didn't notice him.  I thought it would have been a perfect opportunity for Jeremy to call Dan out on the idol.  He had already told half the people that Dan had one, and he told them he knew because he looked in Dan's pants.  Alec and the woman he was next to seemed disgusted not with the fact that Jeremy looked in Dan's pants but with the fact that Dan found an idol and was hiding it.  Why?  If they had found the idol I'm sure they wouldn't have told everyone either.  Not sure why Jeremy wouldn't have tried to get people to flush the idol.  Target Kara.  Dan would have used it on her.

Yes!  I couldn't believe that she is a financial advisor.  She seems like such a nasty untrustworthy person.  The kind of person that thinks she can get people to do what she wants by smiling and (trying to) look pretty.  Plus she's such a "mean girl" that acts so entitled.  Why people would trust her with their money is beyond me.  If I were her client I'd check to see how many thousands in fees she racks up on my account and compare it to other people's fees.

Why do I suspect Angelina's license plate reads, "ANGIE WINS"?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

This didn’t occur to her before she came to play a social game like Survivor? I’m with Jeremy - she has zero self awareness, she’s not changing and she has possibly never seen the show. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

An interesting comment considering in the first episode she said she wasn't fit enough to help with the shelter. Hmmm.

I've played softball as a child and somewhat as an adult.  It's not hard.  You can get through a game barely moving in the span of 2 hours.  It doesn't really say much about the state of our bodies and shape.  Even players in the major league are out of shape, like pitchers.  Or some ex-third basemen.  

3 minutes ago, Maya said:

This didn’t occur to her before she came to play a social game like Survivor? I’m with Jeremy - she has zero self awareness, she’s not changing and she has possibly never seen the show. 

I really liked Jeremy on this show but as a "superfan" he was awful at the game too.  Natalie's already proven better.

• Love 5

Hey, I'm ok with Natalie staying, and I smiled when she described herself as a senior citizen, because to me it's obvious that she doesn't see herself as such, but for once she read the room and realised that her tribemates WOULD consider her a senior citizen once they knew her age.

I'm surprised by how much I like John (the wrestler), he's quite refreshing, and the crab race was fun.

I've just discovered that there is someone on the Goliath tribe that looks very much like D'Arcy Carden (Janet on The Good Place).

Lastly, while it was not the most amazing episode, I'm glad that it entertained me enough to make me forget for a few minutes at a time this sharp back pain that's been plaguing me all day. 

• Love 12

I was disappointed that Jeremy was voted out.  But, he was trying to dictate to others how to play and that's kind of the kiss of death.  I am really ready for Angelina (?) to go as her attitude and sense of entitlement have bothered me since the premiere episode.  Nathalie needs to go asap.  If she stays too long I fear that she will become this season's goat and we'll never get rid of her.

Beyond that, I'm enjoying the season and the players.  It will be really interesting to see how the continuing weather conditions may affect the various survivors.

• Love 4

Reading her bio, I was shocked to learn that not only did Angelina go to Stanford and was elected student body president but is also married. I wonder how her husband feels about her using her very average looks to get out of speeding tickets. 

• Love 8

As NutMeg mentioned above, I don't believe for a second that Natalie thinks 57 is a senior citizen. That was strategic (and something to stick with if she lasts past next week's tribe swap). And in fairness, although she lacks self-awareness, she wasn't wrong that Jeremy lacked it just as much. Mike was right that he seems like a decent guy with true depth, but who takes an older woman aside who you just met to give her a long lecture about everything wrong with her personality? GREAT PEOPLE SKILLS!

• Love 6

I'm so disappointed that Jeremy is gone.  He didn't say one wrong thing at Tribal Council and I suspect it's the first time Natalie has EVER encountered someone who wasn't afraid to give it to her straight no chaser.

And did she really come at him with the, "We're both black but you never had my back" card???  OK, bish, he literally pulled you to the side three days ago to give you the constructive criticism you claim to invite, and you shut him down!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I'm furious that she actually thinks she outwitted or outplayed Jeremy---Bitch, you're just around becasue you are low-hanging fruit that can be chopped at anytime.  And A tribe shuffle won't improve your standing in this game.  Hag.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Cutty said:

Reading her bio, I was shocked to learn that not only did Angelina go to Stanford and was elected student body president but is also married. I wonder how her husband feels about her using her very average looks to get out of speeding tickets. 

Did she actually say she used her looks or was it her power of persuasion?  While I also thought she might be talking about flirting, that is not necessarily what she meant.   

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Did she actually say she used her looks or was it her power of persuasion?  While I also thought she might be talking about flirting, that is not necessarily what she meant.   

She said something like, "I get out of speeding tickets by using the power of.....persuasion."  Was there a slight pause to indicate a euphemism, or did I imagine it?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Special K said:

She said something like, "I get out of speeding tickets by using the power of.....persuasion."  Was there a slight pause to indicate a euphemism, or did I imagine it?

I'm not sure.  I thought she could have been talking about flirting, but it is possible just meant she just meant she was good at talking people into and out of things.  

I thought there was too, @Special K.  Also, when her friend made a huge speech about how Angelina could have solved the puzzle, and Angelina said "Thank you".  LOL.  Oh my goodness.  It's just everything for her this episode added up to a lot.  "People do what I want, I'm very persuasive".  LOL.  I know people in real life who are always making these grandiose statements about themselves and it's just not really my bag, baby.  Other examples include "I'm really picky" or "I'm a great judge of character", etc.  People state these things as if it's really uncommon that people think this about themselves - it's just not!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought there was too, @Special K.  Also, when her friend made a huge speech about how Angelina could have solved the puzzle, and Angelina said "Thank you".  LOL.  Oh my goodness.  It's just everything for her this episode added up to a lot.  "People do what I want, I'm very persuasive".  LOL.  I know people in real life who are always making these grandiose statements about themselves and it's just not really my bag, baby.  Other examples include "I'm really picky" or "I'm a great judge of character", etc.  People state these things as if it's really uncommon that people think this about themselves - it's just not!  

That little, self-satisfied "thank you" was just the bitter end for me.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I was disappointed that Jeremy was voted out.  But, he was trying to dictate to others how to play and that's kind of the kiss of death.  I am really ready for Angelina (?) to go as her attitude and sense of entitlement have bothered me since the premiere episode.  Nathalie needs to go asap.  If she stays too long I fear that she will become this season's goat and we'll never get rid of her.

Beyond that, I'm enjoying the season and the players.  It will be really interesting to see how the continuing weather conditions may affect the various survivors.

4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You know, and without saying she's the greatest player to ever play, these are some characteristics of some very successful past Survivor players. Some even got asked back 4 times because of these attributes. And went on to win. 

Once again, despite my best efforts to try to like her, Bi failed to impress.  All Bi’s butthurtiness over Gabby’s vote “betrayal”?  That’s on you, Bi; way for both you and Jessica to NOT read the room in your pre-vote conversation with Gabby last episode.  If Bi and Jessica had taken five minutes to talk further with Gabby - to read Gabby’s clear (to me) discomfiture, and set her mind at ease - then Jessica would in all probability still be here, and Bi wouldn’t be marooned in the game.  Both Jessica and Bi took it for granted Gabby would follower-vote the way they wanted, though - with the end result of Jessica checking out the marvelous bill of fare at Ponderosa, while Bi is left kvetching on a raft.  Feh.

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't agree with the Jeremy vote. It felt reactionary and short-sited. Sure, no one likes to be told how to play the game; Jeremy was going a little too hard here. But you don't vote out physically capable players over someone like Natalie that early on. They're going to need him for a few more challenges, at least. I get voting out threats, I just think it's too early. 

Ordinarily I’d agree with this assessment, but in this particular season - where the Goliaths have such a distinctly clear bench depth of physical advantage over the Davids - I expect the Goliaths figure they they could favor strategy over physicality on this particular vote.

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Having played a lot of softball, I can confirm that there are many softball players who are 1) not very good 2) not fit and plenty of leagues that are more centered around socializing then playing softball.

Considering softball is one of the few games in existence where you can play an entire game in the outfield without spilling your beer*, I’d be inclined to agree. ;)  

I’m really curious, though, what softball position Natalie might play; personally, I think DRRF** would be right up her alley.  ;>

* True story.

** DDRF = Deep-Roving Right Field.

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

“They’re called boobs, Ed.”

- Julia Roberts, Erin Brockovich

;)

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Considering softball is one of the few games in existence where you can play an entire game in the outfield without spilling your beer*, I’d be inclined to agree. ;)  

I’m really curious, though, what softball position Natalie might play; personally, I think DRRF** would be right up her alley.  ;>

* True story.

** DDRF = Deep-Roving Right Field.

Fast Pitch is far more challenging to play. I played in high school and it is just as challenging as baseball. Mind you, both baseball and softball have their players who are clearly overweight but those folks tend to be the homerun hitters on the team and play a position where the coach doesn't think that there is much need for movement. And yes, both baseball and softball involve a fair amount of standing around waiting for something to happen so you don't have to be in great shape but Collegiate and Professional players tend to be in excellent shape because speed is needed on the base paths, strength is needed for getting the ball to the correct place and for batting, and agility is needed for fielding.

That said, I have played softball leagues were there was a keg was in centerfield and I ran the bases with beer in hand. So playing softball can be taken many ways,

• Love 10

Oh, and I almost forgot - Jeremy dug his game’s own grave with the backhoe shovel which is his own great big mouth.  I credit Natalie’s survival over Jeremy in the vote less to her game acumen (although I’m certain Natalie would disagree), and more to Jeremy’s inability to recognize this as an episode of Survivor and NOT The Jeremy Show (“starring me - I’m Jeremy!”).  In both his refusal to allow Natalie the game courtesy of private conversations and his absolute dogpiling on Natalie at TC, Jeremy accomplished the impossible - he made me feel sympathetic toward Natalie.  And I hate Jeremy for that.  :)

1 minute ago, ProfCrash said:

Fast Pitch is far more challenging to play. I played in high school and it is just as challenging as baseball. Mind you, both baseball and softball have their players who are clearly overweight but those folks tend to be the homerun hitters on the team and play a position where the coach doesn't think that there is much need for movement. And yes, both baseball and softball involve a fair amount of standing around waiting for something to happen so you don't have to be in great shape but Collegiate and Professional players tend to be in excellent shape because speed is needed on the base paths, strength is needed for getting the ball to the correct place and for batting, and agility is needed for fielding.

That said, I have played softball leagues were there was a keg was in centerfield and I ran the bases with beer in hand. So playing softball can be taken many ways,

Oh, I know - I coached LL Girl’s fast-pitch for several years.  My earlier post, though, was made with company-league softball (aka the Beer Pong League) a little more in mind.  ;)

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I'm so disappointed that Jeremy is gone.  He didn't say one wrong thing at Tribal Council and I suspect it's the first time Natalie has EVER encountered someone who wasn't afraid to give it to her straight no chaser.

And did she really come at him with the, "We're both black but you never had my back" card???  OK, bish, he literally pulled you to the side three days ago to give you the constructive criticism you claim to invite, and you shut him down!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  I'm furious that she actually thinks she outwitted or outplayed Jeremy---Bitch, you're just around becasue you are low-hanging fruit that can be chopped at anytime.  And A tribe shuffle won't improve your standing in this game.  Hag.

But she did outwit and outplay him.  She was indeed the low hanging fruit that everyone was ready to chop.  Yet he got chopped instead.  She got him to self-destruct.  He was already paranoid because he assumed that whenever people paired off in twos, that they were talking about getting rid of him.  Then she came over to the group of three and said she wanted to talk to the two that were not Jeremy, and he went ballistic.  Not a great move on his part.  I'm not sure whether she intentionally set about to cause him to self-destruct or whether it was her no-nonsense manner that he drove him mad, but whatever it was, she outplayed him.  It must say a lot about how poorly his tribemates viewed him when they unanimously voted him out over the caustic Natalie.

I agree with the comment upthread that he was criticising her for never having seen the show and not knowing how to act.  But he was just as guilty of pretty much the same thing.  He was a self-professed superfan that thought he knew exactly how to play and was offended when people weren't playing the same way.  He had just a bad read on people as she did.  If he had simply sit back and done nothing, nobody would have targeted him.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

But [Natalie] did outwit and outplay [Jeremy]. 

As I said earlier I considered this more a case of Jeremy outplaying himself, than of Natalie outwitting or outplaying Jeremy - but YMMV.

Natalie did definitely outlast Jeremy, though; I’ll give her that.  :)

• Love 11

I don't think Natalie got Jeremy to explode, I think he did that on his own. It started with searching peoples things to look for idols and progressed to lecturing people on side alliances. Jeremy said he was paranoid and he wasn't lying. Jeremy played far to hard and put a target on his own back. I suspect that Natalie would have been the vote if Jeremy didn't call for ridiculous tribe meeting. Natalie's campaigning was perfectly normal but Jeremy's paranoia led him to over react. Jeremy was in trouble from day one based on his behavior.

I hope that Natalie's staying in the game bites the Goliath's in the ass, mainly because they were so smug about keeping her. Natalie pitched to the Goliath's that she was someone they could easily remove because she was not strong and they bought it. The Goliath's also were so very secure in their position that they were perfectly willing to lecture Natalie on where she was failing. Granted, the Goliath's that spoke validated everything Jeremy said but it was ok because they used a different tone of voice then Jeremey. So I am hoping that Natalie is the swing vote in her new tribe and that she votes with the David's. That would be all sorts of awesome.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

appreciate the real look too, but we real people should all be aware that no one wants to look at our bare thighs bouncing around.

I complain about the models and actors on Survivor as much as anyone, yet if I'm brutally honest, I have to admit that if I need to watch people week after week, dirty and dishevelled and half dressed, I prefer that they look at least a little attractive. (ie, not like me or most of the other “regular" people in my life). Or at least I prefer that they not wander around in their underwear. It's shallow and hypocritical of me, and I'm totally embarrassed by myself, but there you are. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I complain about the models and actors on Survivor as much as anyone, yet if I'm brutally honest, I have to admit that if I need to watch people week after week, dirty and dishevelled and half dressed, I prefer that they look at least a little attractive. (ie, not like me or most of the other “regular" people in my life). Or at least I prefer that they not wander around in their underwear. It's shallow and hypocritical of me, and I'm totally embarrassed by myself, but there you are. 

Honestly, I'm constantly shocked that they're comfortable walking around without pants, etc.  Basically in public.  Among strangers.  On television.  There must be some magical erasure of self-consciousness that happens on Survivor.   Let alone running challenges in their skivvies! 

I notice Natalie was wearing some kind of sarong around her bottom last night and bless her for that.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, piewarmer said:

I love the camp life scenes. Hermit crab races and Slamtonian Tales!

Natalie is a senior citizen at 57?

In her first season, Cirie was considered an "older woman" at 35.  It's Survivor, Jake.....it's a different world.

I imagine that people are running around sans pants because they wore jeans and once they get wet they are extremely uncomfortable.  At least they are wearing underwear!  They could start channelling their inner Richard Hatch and run around buck naked.

Jeremy had to be super annoying to live with.  He never shut up and went through other people's things.  Plenty of reason to vote him out early.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Special K said:

Honestly, I'm constantly shocked that they're comfortable walking around without pants, etc.  Basically in public.  Among strangers.  On television.  There must be some magical erasure of self-consciousness that happens on Survivor.   Let alone running challenges in their skivvies! 

The rain probably has left all of them with pretty sensitive skin that can easily chafe when rubbing against clothing. And then there are the days that are really hot leading to the desire to wear as little as possible to cool down. Toss in that they all stink and they probably forget about the cameras in their day to day life because they are there all the time and you have a group of people who are simply trying to get comfortable in a crappy environment.

Most underwear covers as much as a more revealing swim suit, so I don't see anything wrong with what they are wearing. And I kind of like that the people cast this year have different body types. Yes, some are not the most attractive to look at but who cares? They are far more representative of mainstream America then the normal cast and I can appreciate that. Their physical appearance does not change who they are as people. And while I have to bite back some of my thoughts on appearances, I am as judgmental as the next person,  in the end what matters to me is how they play the game and not how they look. 

That said, the grey leggings plastered to the one contestants bodies looks awful and uncomfortable. Not a good look. 

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, Special K said:

There must be some magical erasure of self-consciousness that happens on Survivor.   Let alone running challenges in their skivvies! 

I guess if you mind people seeing you looking bad, or undressed, or in your most private moments, you just don't apply to Survivor or Big Brother. Which is why I'll never apply. (Besides 500 other reasons). 

• Love 8

I'm sad to see Jeremy go, but I'm not surprised.  For one thing, he put on a master class of what not to do on Survivor--play too hard, play too fast, then double down.  Then double down again.  For another thing, Natalie had it in for him ever since he tried his little helpful "hey, I'm black...you're black...we need to look out for each other, and right now I don't think you're doing yourself any favors..." discussion with her.  You could literally see the rage blossom in her eyes, and at that point I saw he'd made an enemy. 

How much do you want to bet that after the lead up to, and the conduct of, Tribal Council, every other Goliath was contemplating asking Jeff if they could send two people home that night rather than just one?

Who are all those people over on the Goliath team?  I was watching last night and was wondering "Hey, didn't they vote out the blonde last week?  Wait, that's a different blonde.  Hold on, did they accidentally film someone from production, who is that other guy?  Whoa, there's two arrogant long-haired brunette women over on that tribe, I just thought she was one person, but both of them are in that frame."  Seriously.  I can pick out Natalie, Jeremy, and the pale bug eyed Hollywood guy.  I know one of the other guys is a wrestler, so I could probably pick him out based on body size, and another guy is a SWAT guy, but without his "POLICE" logo'd shirt, I wouldn't know that was him.

• Love 6