Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Falling Down

• Start Topic

With one captain in the hospital and another on a bender, fishing has come to a halt on two boats. Out at sea an alleged felon is trapped, a boat goes dark, and on the Time Bandit... well, Captain Johnathan just wants to be young again.

I'm picturing Wild Bill chugging on a bottle of rum, singing sea chanteys with the crew and gushing "I love you, man" to the felonious greenhorn, but it's probably somebody else on the bender.

I am going to guess its Andy Hillstrand. When the show started he didn't drink and in a couple of interviews he said both he and his wife quit drinking. Then we see him drinking, they get divorced. Maybe he has decided its time to quit. 

(edited)

With one captain in the hospital and another on a bender, fishing has come to a halt on two boats. Out at sea an alleged felon is trapped, a boat goes dark, and on the Time Bandit... well, Captain Johnathan just wants to be young again.

Piecing this together, I'm going with Elliot on the bender. No fishing on 2 boats, Junior is in the hospital. Three mentioned at sea, Wild Bill has the felon, Time Bandit  mentioned by name, and one goes dark. I don't see Mouse or Edgar going on a bender, that just leaves Elliot. But knowing the Disco editing monkeys, it's probably not even a boat we've ever heard of or seen, and it will be reactions of the other captains listening to the fake radio calls from a random crew. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 1

But knowing the Disco editing monkeys, it's probably not even a boat we've ever heard of or seen, and it will be reactions of the other captains listening to the fake radio calls from a random crew. 

So annoying.  Definitely a case of fool me once, shame on you.   I no longer believe any apparent "situation" shown in the previews.

Speaking of annoying, does the effing Twitter feed bug anyone else as much as it does me?    I not only find it intrusive and distracting, but the tweets are all of an ass-kissing, hero-worshipping nature, and you can't even buy into what the sender says because you know they just said it to get their stupid message onscreen.   You never see a message that says something like "Why hasn't anyone made Elliot walk the plank yet?" or "Did we really need to see that, Junior?"

• Love 2

Yeah, the Twitter feed is way annoying. Trying to watch when about 3/4 of the screen is randomass pop up graphics is ridiculous. You can't tell me Disco isn't making enough money off the show that they have to whore themselves out to advertisers. 

• Love 2

Not only is the Twitter crap annoying, so is the promo bug at the top left corner. That's three corners now clogged with crap, and it impedes the viewing area. I feel like I'm watching YouTube and want desperately to "click" the crap off my screen.

• Love 3

I'm going to experiment with putting Scotch tape over the bottom corner of my TV to shield it.  I wonder which felon they are talking about? 

Elliot has a long record of criminal misdemeanors, from fishing violations to protective orders to harassment convictions.  Some of the others are not so saintly, either.  Both Wild Bill and Keith have DWI convictions, and Keith actually did jail time.  Johnathan has had domestic problems and restraining orders before.  And yes, one Sigurd J. Hansen got rung up a few years ago for disorderly conduct.  And all have been cited for various fishing violations, even Montgomery Colburn.

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/eservices/home.page.2

Elliot's delusional if he thinks he's getting back with Val.   You'd think a fisherman would know the expression "that ship has sailed."

To be fair, we don't know what kind of antics Val may be guilty of.   Does she string him along, throw him crumbs from time to time to keep him coming back?  Maybe she likes the notoriety the show brings her -- or the money it puts in Elliott's pocket.

Whatever the case may be, between the two of them, they have time and again endangered the lives and livelihoods of the crews that work on ships under Elliot's command.   He has been distracted, disinterested and now drunk when he's supposed to be on duty.  

Now that Elliot left the ship, does that mean those crewmen are screwed for the season?   No paycheck?  No nothing?

• Love 2
(edited)

Holy Shit, Elliot.  

I am appalled that he was actually talking on the phone while stacking pots---don't those weigh a couple thousand pounds? How disrespectful of his crew...and his dad!  Was Elliot really trying to blame his drug and alcohol use on his relationship with Val?  All excuses.

Fix yourself before you hurt anyone else, please .  The situation both scares me and makes me sad. 

I had a feeling that Junior messed up his back even more by going out fishing..hopefully they caught the issue soon enough to fix it.  His PT is going to be brutal. 

And once again, I wish we had a choice whether or not we wanted to see the stupid twitter feed. 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1
(edited)

Elliot has a long record of criminal misdemeanors, from fishing violations to protective orders to harassment convictions...

http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/eservices/home.page.2

Wow, Elliot has quite the rap sheet.  Most of them are minor stuff like traffic violations, but some of them are not so minor.

How does somebody with a background like that get a captain's license?  A DUI or drug charge will get a pilot's license, even just a private one, stripped.

And what bank loaned him the money to purchase the boat?  Somebody needs to call the due diligence team in for a meeting. 

And once again, I wish we had a choice whether or not we wanted to see the stupid twitter feed.

I really wish they would make that go away.  If I wanted to read tweets from people I don't know (I don't), I'd go on Twitter.  If they have to put tweets up, at least let them be from the captains or crew with maybe a little background information on the scene.  That would add to the episode.  "Good Job Jake A!" doesn't add much substance.

Edited by LeftDownwind
  • Love 2
(edited)

The skippers had a short talk about Elliott rescue on the pregame show.  But even after risking his life (and his crew, by the way), you could tell they were hemming and hawing about the balance between that and the shit that he pulls.  I can't imagine any of them wanting to set sail with him for snow crab.

Junior, while I admire his devotion to the job, probably should have quit beforehand.  Spinal fusion takes a lot of healing.  Can't see him around for snow crabs either.  But they guy has a lopped off finger.  His threshold for pain must be "waterboard-resistant."

Nice to see Jake Anderson down in the "basement" looking for solutions.  I really hope Edgar walked up to the wheel after his "you shoulda fixed it faster" quip thinking he had turned exactly into his older brother.  Question:  Edgar summoned Nick Mavar down there too and went himself.  Edgar was worried about leaving the helm unattended.  Do they not trust Matt to take the wheel for just a few minutes?  The only other available human was Sunshine, and he's still a novice.

Next Disco spinoff:  Deadliest Catch: Dutch Harbor Bar Fights.  Round 1:  Elliott vs. Freddy. ;-)

eta:  my Scotch Tape experiment was a waster of tape.

Edited by Soopertater
  • Love 2

I loved Edgar busting on Jake after the fix.  He treated him like a younger brother, which he basically is.  I am as certain as can be that he gave Jake mad props and told Sig how well Jake performed.  Jake has a real home, if he wants one.  Nobody can take away what Jake did from Jake, except Jake.  Based on the smile I saw as he left the wheelhouse, I believe Jake knows it, too.

Elliott is an honest to goodness nut job.  Sociopathy?  Narcissism?  Whatever it is, he is not right.  I felt for his dad who I am sure has been through the ringer with his son.   I hope he took some of his own advice and got to Al-Anon so he can learn what, if any of this, belongs to him - and what (Hint: 99.99999%) does not.   God bless all families, loved ones, and friends of addicts.

Loved the hijinks by the Cape Caution crew.  Glad they were on the crab so quickly, too.  Bill was so right.  "Crabs cure all."

• Love 4

Elliott is a typical abuser -- it's all his victim's fault.   If she were just nicer to him, he wouldn't have to do the things he does.   Because abusers have to justify their abuse somehow.   He needs to get a clue that the relationship is over.    His whining "I just want us to be a family" is so disgusting.   You are not a family.   She is your baby mamma that you visit when you aren't going around with someone other woman.   You can still be a dad to your kids even if you aren't with their mother.   But it isn't about being a dad, it's about keeping Val under his control. 

First epsidoe they said everything would be fine if they could keep him off the phone.   Last week he gets served with the papers, what's the first thing he does?   Gets on the phone.   And did anyone notice he was planning on taking off to visit his family while the rest of his crew was preparing the boat for baridi? Way to set a good work example there CAPTAIN.   This week it was all on the phone.   His crew should have refused to work until he got off the phone.   His dad should have gone up there and ripped the phone out of his hand and pointed out that the boat (and the bank loan) come first.   

On the other hand, I felt so bad for Junior.   At this moment he doesn't know how he will support his family if he doesn't fish.   I am sure he will come up with something if that happens.  BUt god, to think you are so physically damaged you might not be able to care for your family is heartbreaking for a proud man.   Although could have done without more pictures of his puking.

• Love 5

Elliot owes Val $50,000 in back child support...he should be in jail rather than rehab. He is such a sociopath/self declared victim. The only reason he wants to get back together with Val is so he can skate on child support. As someone up thread said he is an addict that has to blame others for his problems.

I did feel bad for his Dad. I thought it was good that he talked to Elliot about Rehab but he should have said you owe it to your kids to be a man and pay your child support rather then putting it up your nose.

I doubt Elliot will stay in rehab and I don't think he'll ever pay his child support. In his twisted mind, not fishing will result in him losing his boat and hence his income so he won't have to pay any child support and it will be her fault. What a piece of work.

• Love 5

Hey Jackass!  Val doesn't want to be with you because you are an asshole, an alcoholic, and a drug addict.  The fact that you are out to sea much of the time is probably your only redeeming quality as a 'mate'.

Elliot is such a waste of space; and it makes me wonder about Val because for some reason I think Elliot's always been a douche.  What did Val see in him?  Did she think she was going to change him?  Or maybe both of them did drugs together but Val cleaned up when the kids came. 

So what happens to Elliot's crew now? 

So what happens to Elliot's crew now?

The best possible outcome would be for Elliot to disappear into a long term treatment program and for his father to find a replacement captain. It'd be nice to see the Saga be wildly successful while Elliot is gone. His crew deserves a profitable season under a professional captain to give them a little benefit from all this.

• Love 2

What did Val see in him?  Did she think she was going to change him?

Yep.   Woman believe that all a man needs to be a wonderful father, a good husband and a successful provider is the love of a good woman.   She looooooves him.  Sure he was a douche before.   Sure he had other woman.   But this is different because he looooooooves her and she loooooooooves him and so it will be totally different than before.

Except it never is.   

I see it all the time.   Guys come to protective order hearings with the new girlfriend.   And the new girlfriend is all "She's crazy.   She's just mad because he is with me now and not her." about the old girlfriend.   "He would never do that to me -- he loooooooves me."    Guess who is the next one filing a protective order against douchead?   

*snip*

Not that I am blaming Val for what she has endured.   At least she seems to be realizing that he is not going to change.   He is not going to suddenly be a responsible father.   That she has to do what she has to do to protect herself and her kids physically and financially.   

• Love 1

In the pregame, Gilbert Gottfried asked how the crew "stays occupied."  I was soooooooo wanting Wild Bill to do a little of the TMZ interview he did about the protocol of "self-gratification" while at sea. :-)

Since it was so close to memorial Day, I recalled Keith once interviewing a highly-decorated veteran before the start of the season.  He was very complimentary of the man, but also told him "no."  Why am I thinking that guy would have worked the pants off of Tinkerbell?  They were also talking about bad greenhorns.  They should have included Moi, who was the biggest loser of the bunch.  His only redeeming moment was lancing that blood blister under his fingernail.

The thing that most disturbs me about the whole "downward spiral of Elliot storyline" is that a person with a drug/alcohol problem was featured on this show yet again (surely Disco had wind of this one as well), allowed to place his crew and Disco staff in danger (remember how reluctant cameramen were to be paired with Elliot?), and encouraged to run his own boat by a father who seemed to have knowledge of these problems, yet thought it was OK.  WTF?   Everybody knew, or suspected, and did nothing because - what, the Disco allure was too strong? 

• Love 3

Glad to see I'm not the only one who HATES those stupid twitter feeds. How does anybody think this makes my TV watching experience better?

@jeepgirl207: Way to get on the crab Wild Bill...

• Love 1

The thing that most disturbs me about the whole "downward spiral of Elliot storyline" is that a person with a drug/alcohol problem was featured on this show yet again (surely Disco had wind of this one as well), allowed to place his crew and Disco staff in danger (remember how reluctant cameramen were to be paired with Elliot?)...

@walnutqueen, what is the story on that?  I don't recall seeing that.

Soopertater, my memory for details isn't what it used to be, but it may have been one of the "Season #: Behind the Scenes" episodes where the cameramen were getting their boat assignments.  One guy called home after getting the Ramblin' Rose and broke the bad news to his wife.  Then the Disco guys made a couple of comments about Elliot taking risks or something along those lines.  Another time I recall Todd Stanley (I think) ranting on to someone about another unsafe situation Elliot was putting them in.  There was also the time when everyone except Elliot took shelter from the storm, the crew & cameramen were worried, and the owner called Elliot & ordered him to stop fishing.  I'm sure there are other examples, but off the top of my head I can't come up with more than my general impression of Elliot's "reputation".

Look, I'm not saying everyone knew for sure, but most of these guys have seen enough of it to know the warning signs, and some of the Disco crew are tight enough with the crabbers that the rumors would have trickled to TPTB.  Fishermen are like gossipy old women sometimes.  :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't speak to specifics, but I also recall members of the production team bitching at having to go out with Elliott.  

Now, Disco had a heck of a decision to make, didn't they.   Did Elliott go out for Opies?  Did Disco send out a crew with him?  If he hasn't gone crabbing since reds, and is allowed to again, will Disco risk a crew?  If you were on the production team, would you refuse if ordered?  

Serious question:  Knowing of his instability, how on earth can Elliott be insured as a captain?   Who would be crazy enough to write that policy?

Also - now that Elliott is publicly outed, is there anything Fish and Game can do via licensing to ensure he toes the line?  Are there any by-laws that compel "sober" operation of a vessel?  I know there are penalties after the fact.  But, can a given licensee be forced to undergo random blood/urine testing?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

Many boats outright refused Disco in the beginning and continued to.  Some were on one year and that was it, and some (the current boats) must have stuck with it for one of two reasons:  (a) they got used to it, had the same crew several years in a row and therefore knew what to expect out of the process, or (b) guys who wanted the extra money, but hated the camera.  (b) would describe Elliott perfectly.  He despises them, but at the same time, he's so much a narcissist, being on national TV probably keeps his ego inflated like a Dutch balloon.

In the discussion on this week's epi, some have wondered if Disco is putting their film crews at risk by being on Elliott Neese's vessel.  I have long wondered if their ultimate fantasy is to witness, firsthand, a vessel sinking and a crewman perishing.  Captains over the years have said they helped to retrieve bodies from the water, but TDC never captured on film.  They certainly have a penchant for the morbid, from the blanket coverage of Phil's passing to USCG hoists to pon pon calls over the wideband.  Obviously such a situation would put them in a position of unimaginable ratings, but also unfathomable liabilities--legal and reputation-wise. 

I learned recently that the interview Disco aired a few years ago with Cache Seele, lone survivor of the Big Valley sinking in Season 1, was purchased by TDC from another company.  Cache and a friend Andrew Marss were working crew on the boat, but were also compiling experiences of their own for a documentary on crab fishing.  Marss was among the departed that day.  Seele was not to happy about seeing in interview so many years later.  But he has since moved on with his writing career.

They must give direction before leaving harbor about emergencies and what they, as they immediately become "extra baggage" in these scenarios.  WOuld they continue filming?  Would Disco air it, even in a highly edited form?  Just wondering out loud.

It was a short episode for me, as I fast forward everytime Eliott is on the screen.   Cape Caution is actually getting easier to watch.  When did Zack get good enough that Bill didn't feel the need to harp on his failings constantly?  Kudos to Zack for sticking with it and it really makes the boat run smoother when Bill isn't constantly bitching.

I loved Jake A's face when he came up to the wheelhouse and told Edgar what the problem was and that he fixed it.  He looked so happy/proud.  Edgar's little grin as he left was cute too.

• Love 2

When did Zack get good enough that Bill didn't feel the need to harp on his failings constantly?  

It happened when the idiot new guy/felon joined the crew and distracted Bill.

(edited)

I think Elliot would be the same douche even if the cameras weren't there.  In fact, he might have been worse; now at least there's a record of his douche-ness. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I think Elliot would be the same douche even if the cameras weren't there.  In fact, he might have been worse; now at least there's a record of this douche-ness. 

I imagine that Val's divorce lawyer has found an abundance of information to use.

Wasn't Elliot going to the airport last season to propose to his new girl?  What happened to her--or was it all just about Val?  *sigh* 

I know urine tests can be requested (remember Jake H.)  but I'm not sure who does the requesting--or who would require it from Elliot.  

I wonder what Captain Phil would say to Elliot....now there is a lecture I would love to see. 

I wonder what Captain Phil would say to Elliot....now there is a lecture I would love to see.

I miss Phil so very much.  I'm sure he'd talk to Elliot in much the same way as he talked to Jake.  Phil has been there & done that; so has just about everyone on a boat, for that matter (I exaggerate, but only slightly).  Like Wild Bill said, there's no room on a boat for that shit, and especially not in the wheelhouse.  Your reputation is everything.

• Love 1

@gryphon, I don't know details about Alaska, but where I live, any motorized mode of transport requires some sort of license, be they cars, semi trucks, boats, etc.  Jake H.'s mandatory testing is probably from some probation order.  Since Elliott has not been convicted of DWI/OWI, I doubt they could require him to test at sea.  But if he is convicted of operating a vessel while drunk/high, he would almost certainly lose his license to captain, and I doubt the ADFG would give him a fishing permit for anything other than a rowboat.  Plus I sense a bit of a "Code."  You don't get messed up on a trip because it's making an already dangerous situation even worse.

I recall some of those rants Phil had for both his boys.  I also remember his line, "Now you know why lions eat their young." :-)

• Love 2

Elliott's twitter feed was brimming with salty language the day after the broadcast, a lot of it coming from Elliott himself, who was the recipient of tweets like "Man up, you p***y!"   

It was later scrubbed, with a woman named Shannon answering in Elliott's stead.

Maybe she'll take over as captain of the Saga, too.

• Love 3

I hope his insurers are watching this closely. He could be in for a rocky road at policy renewal time. And I don't know if this is the case for fishery workers, but railway employees can absolutely be tested randomly at any time on duty. They show up with onsite testing equipment and if you fail, you're out of service immediately.

• Love 1

I thought they weren't married.

You're right.  I'd forgotten that.  So, basically, they have been locked in a multi-year abusive battle that produced children who he or they use as pawns. 

I sort of hope that Phil wouldn't waste his time with a piece of crud like Elliot.   

Elliott's twitter feed was brimming with salty language the day after the broadcast, a lot of it coming from Elliott himself, who was the recipient of tweets like "Man up, you p***y!"   

It was later scrubbed, with a woman named Shannon answering in Elliott's stead.

Maybe she'll take over as captain of the Saga, too.

Even after it's been scrubbed, I wish I hadn't read that twitter feed.  Elliot is at best an idiot.  Did you see the part where they're announcing he got out of paying the child support?  He was bragging that he paid for "everything" when they lived together and it came up to more than the $50K.  Well, YEAH, you idiot.   They're your kids.  You keep paying until they're 18 at the very least.

He's a real prince.  

The twitter feed is completely sanitized except for ass-kissing praise and this gem from Elliott:

Everyone giving me shit about child support fuck you!We were living together as husband n wife I paid 4 everything N she was tryin to claim
  • Love 1
Did you see the part where they're announcing he got out of paying the child support?  He was bragging that he paid for "everything" when they lived together and it came up to more than the $50K.  Well, YEAH, you idiot.   They're your kids.  You keep paying until they're 18 at the very least.

I remember Elliot's dad saying something similar to the process server when he was looking for Elliot.  I guess they do not realize that your responsibility for you children does not end when you stop sleeping with their mother.  Also, I think we now know why he is so behind on his support...the money is going up his nose.  I am sure the captains get tested before they go out to see, but maybe Elliot has methods of getting around the tests (buying clean urine)?  At this point, I would not put it past the guy.

• Love 1

I hope his insurers are watching this closely. He could be in for a rocky road at policy renewal time.

This actually happened to the Rollo after their insurer watched them on the show, IIRC I think this is part of why they didn't return.

• Love 1

So if Elliot knew he was in the right about the child support issue why didn't he just accept the papers like a man and go back to work? Instead he went and got drunk while his crew sat in the boat. How rude. They are out there trying to make a living and his idiot ass couldn't have cared less about them. If he truly would "do anything" to get Val back...he'd be sober, a responsible boat owner and wouldn't sleep with other women. Duh!

• Love 2

So if Elliot knew he was in the right about the child support issue why didn't he just accept the papers like a man and go back to work? Instead he went and got drunk while his crew sat in the boat. How rude. They are out there trying to make a living and his idiot ass couldn't have cared less about them. If he truly would "do anything" to get Val back...he'd be sober, a responsible boat owner and wouldn't sleep with other women. Duh!

Because he is a self centered douche nozzle. I won't be surprised if that whole crew bails on him like all his former crews have

Serious question: Knowing of his instability, how on earth can Elliott be insured as a captain? Who would be crazy enough to write that policy?

The insurance companies don't appear to mind Edgar lighting people on fire INSIDE the NW, or the Time Bandit guys shooting shotguns at icicles - God only knows what they do care about.

I suspect fireworks are now forbidden on the Time Bandit after that guy got his hand blown off (at least until the case is settled, at least on camera), but I never understood Edgar and fire, especially indoors, especially when they constantly talk about fire being the most terrifying thing at sea.

• Love 1

If I recall correctly, both the Northwestern and Time Bandit are paid for which means a lot for insurability as there is no lien against them.  Also despite their antics the Northwestern has an excellent safely record.

Elliott is in a world of hurt.  His quota is mostly leased so he is missing multiple contractual deadlines.  If he isn't fishing I don't see how he will make his boat payments.