Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tessaray

S01.E01: Keep on Truckin'

Recommended Posts

I wonder how much influence Barr had over the writing and the writers.  Were the previous runs done as an ensemble cast or did Barr insist that the program be written Barr-centric.  I can easily see her throwing her weight around. I did not watch the past runs because I've always disliked her.  

 With this in mind, I am hoping for a much more even-handed, ensemble-type of show.

ETA:  I love the idea that with Roseanne out of the picture the rest of the family manages to find their own successes in life.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

I wonder how much influence Barr had over the writing and the writers.  Were the previous runs done as an ensemble cast or did Barr insist that the program be written Barr-centric.  I can easily see her throwing her weight around. I did not watch the past runs because I've always disliked her.  

 With this in mind, I am hoping for a much more even-handed, ensemble-type of show.

Roseanne apparently ran the show with a heavy hand the first time around. I think it was probably more mixed last season. The original show did, early on, give most of the cast a chance to act. It lost its way around season 6 or 7.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Even tho she was still "Wacky" it fit with what she was going through and really seemed to be toned down a lot... lets hope going forward they make her more season 1-4 jackie and less Barney Fife from the later season and the reboot last year

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, that was surprisingly....good?  Like, I actually enjoyed it.  I was afraid they might veer into sappy, but I thought they kept just the right balance of melancholy and funny.  That's the thing when somebody dies. Once the shock wears off, you often do start reminiscing in a fond way, which often leads to laughter. I think the writers - and the actors - captured that well.  

At first I was a little bummed to see that they didn't keep Xosha Roquemore as DJ's wife, but I ended up really liking the woman who took her spot. She was great.  

I'll keep tuning in, based on this! 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Court said:

I've found my family laughs a lot during times of crisis. It's how we make it through.

Very true. We switched my son's sleeping pill and now I have a whole bottle of the old one. I've taken them occasionally when I can't sleep. The scenario above has happened as well.

I can see Roseanne stashing pills cuz she's addicted.

 I refill my RXs every month,   even when I have more leftover. I have had Restless Leg Syndrome for about 7 years.  I have a fear of not having the meds when I need them ( usually approximately 1.5 -2 per day--a half or 1 in afternoon, and one to sleep).  I take half usually cuz they put me to sleep and I need to have a life in the afternoon hours before bedtime.

Although when I am out and about--shopping, errands, swimming, or cleaning house,  i.e., when  moving about, I don't notice the RLS, and I don't take a pill until bedtime. It's when I sit down to rest, watch tv, read, use the computer, or sleep that hits me.  My doc said, well then keep moving, but I told her that I have to sit and rest sometime.  She agreed. It sucks waiting for the med to kick in as well--abt 45 minutes of frustration and distraction. 

Restless Leg Syndrome is not exactly painful,  but more annoying to the point of serious exasperation (heart rate up, switching positions constantly to get relief,  and trying to breathe through it doesn't work),  without muscle relaxers. It's happened when I'm driving and  I had to keep moving/tensing my legs until the med kicked in. I keep some in my purse, just in case, cuz the RLS has started randomly at different times. It's happened in church--where I don't bring my purse-- and I had to sit there trying to be inconspicuous while changing positions, stretching out my legs, trying to breathe/relax, etc.  If I didn't get relief,  it would make me crazy, and I wouldn't rest or sleep consistently for any length of time.  Am I addicted? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked the homage to the old opening credits at the end, with most of the family around the table, talking and laughing. And while Darlene had Roseanne's old seat, they didn't have her do the same trademark belly laugh. The show has moved on, while still having some acknowledgement of the past. As it should be.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Darlene's daughter is also a bit fake TV-ish. 

Darlene has a daughter?  J/K  Last season she was a non-entity to me, and she still feels that way.  It's possible she can morph into a more 'fleshed out' Darlene 2.0 but for now, she's invisible.

33 minutes ago, Ottis said:

That scene had a real "All in the Family" feel to it. Raw, and real. And I think that's the best thing this show has going for it.

I agree with you.  I could almost see the epi where Archie was on the porch having a serious talk with his granddaughter/niece/whatever, Stephanie, right after Meathead and Gloria moved to California.  Which is right when the show jumped the shark for me.

Mostly gone was the comedy and in came the heavy-handed, badly acted social issues.  Don't want 'em in my comedy shows.  Got 'em all day, every day, everywhere else.  I hope Roseanne...er...The Conners, doesn't fall victim to the same thing.  Although, like you said, the re-boot of this feels similar to the re-boot of All in the Family's, Archie Bunker's Place.  Which was the death knell for that beloved series.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

One of the issues with Jackie is Laurie Metcalf tbh. She's an incredible actress to this day, but she has always very publicly advocated playing Jackie like Don Knotts from The Andy Griffith Show or Three's Company. In fact I think she has literally invoked his name when discussing Jackie. She feels the broader version of the character is what she most enjoys, and I think she's said this again as recently as last season. I understand why she enjoys it but I think Jackie is best toned down in the way she was in the earlier seasons of Roseanne, when Jackie was my favorite character. That being said I thought she was mostly very much in the vein of the earlier Jackie last night, especially in the final scene with Darlene - one of both women's best as their characters in years - and I think that is the more modulated Jackie we'll have to see going forward sans Roseanne. I think we saw a lot of it last season too. She's gonna be played for comedy but that is not all she's playing.

As for Mark I can understand finding him too polished but to me that is part of why he's so good for the show. He's too cheery, too articulate, too polite, too inquisitive for the Conner family because he was mostly raised outside of it in privilege and with two parents with a cultured liberal arts education up until now. He's the fruits of Darlene, David, Dan and Roseanne's hard work and he's kind of a fish out of water in Lanford. To me that's very real, it's just not the same kind of real as before.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Mostly gone was the comedy and in came the heavy-handed, badly acted social issues.  Don't want 'em in my comedy shows.  Got 'em all day, every day, everywhere else.

Roseanne has had those issues since day one.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It’s also on abc.com/the ABC (the US TV network, not the Australian) app. But for some unfathomable reason, they changed things (I can’t remember when) so that you can’t watch ABC shows on their site/app for 8 days after the network airs them (other networks let you watch the next day).

Quote

 

I watched it just now here:   https://abc.go.com/shows/the-conners/episode-guide

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, jsbt said:

One of the issues with Jackie is Laurie Metcalf tbh. She's an incredible actress to this day, but she has always very publicly advocated playing Jackie like Don Knotts from The Andy Griffith Show or Three's Company. In fact I think she has literally invoked his name when discussing Jackie. She feels the broader version of the character is what she most enjoys, and I think she's said this again as recently as last season. I understand why she enjoys it but I think Jackie is best toned down in the way she was in the earlier seasons of Roseanne, when Jackie was my favorite character. That being said I thought she was mostly very much in the vein of the earlier Jackie last night, especially in the final scene with Darlene - one of both women's best as their characters in years - and I think that is the more modulated Jackie we'll have to see going forward sans Roseanne. I think we saw a lot of it last season too. She's gonna be played for comedy but that is not all she's playing.

Jackie was also my favorite character in those first few years of the show (I also liked Crystal a great deal and it was wonderful seeing her back again yesterday - Crystal's episode was also one of the few I watched last season). The character to me just became unwatchable from the time she had the baby, and to be honest when I watch her now I don't even necessarily think she is part of the rest of the show. She just feels...in her own world. If the show does continue I hope they will bring in her son and build her up to be more of her own character again, rather than comedy turns. 

With that said, I was happy with the last scene between Darlene and Jackie, which was more of a balance and gave a few glimpses toward what Jackie used to be. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I have mixed emotions...some of the episode was OK, but a lot wasn't.  And I really missed Roseanne.  There's a big hole in the show without her, and if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, that big hole is going to be plugged by the only character on Roseanne I could never stand....Darlene.  So not sure about my commitment to the show just yet, though I want to see Juliette Lewis when she comes on as Blue, Darlene's ex's (forgot his name) girlfriend.

Instead of the snarky 5 second exchange between Jackie and Bev, I would have loved to see them opening up to each other a bit over their shared grief.  It could have been written sad and funny.  A missed opportunity.

One thing that truly bothered me.....Jackie blabbing about Roseanne's autopsy to not only Dan but Roseanne's daughters!!!  In real life, what sister would do that?  Let them think she died of a heart attack.  Okay, I'm over it...not real life. 

Mary Steenburgen....wow.  I actually thought she might have had a stroke recently.  She seemed to have a hard time speaking. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was cautiously optimistic before I watch it because it's very hard to be funny when the focus of the episode is death but if any show was going to make it work, it's Roseanne (the episode where Roseanne and Jackie's dad died is a prime example).  I was not disappointed.   The episode flowed well and Dan, Jackie, Darlene and Becky each got to grief in their own way.  Dan is still the most affected of all and his anger towards Marcy is understandable.  Jackie's reaction is the most realistic, being that Roseanne has the most impact on her life and she is lost without her so she just kept busy by cleaning and doesn't want to leave.  Little neurotic but not too over the top, which is the Jackie that I loved and the ending scene with her and Darlene had me tearing up.   Darlene is holding the family together and surprisingly Becky had the funniest lines.  I also thought Lecy really got into the character this time.   Becky almost tearing up after Darlene said she couldn't believe Roseanne OD and then saying she already went through this with Mark and can't handle it again was well done.  I always thought that Roseanne was very close to Becky (in the earlier seasons) so it was nice (but sad) to see her reactions.   On the other hand, DJ is once again left out probably because it's too much to cram into 20 minutes but hopefully we get to see the impact of Roseanne's death on him in the later episodes.

I think Roseanne's death may be a blessing in disguise.  It actually opens up more room for the remaining characters to grow with each having a new "role" in the family.  

Did anyone notice that on ABC homepage, the description of the series is "This iconic family—Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J.—grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America."  Does that mean Becky WILL get pregnant this season? 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Could be Becky. Could be Darlene, who had a ONS with David last season. The ongoing thread of David moving back to town and dating his new girlfriend (who he was already with at the time) is going to continue.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

There were episodes when Roseanne was Pregnant in real life that she wasn't in full episodes or in the episode at all. this its a bad episode because she wasn't in it like she was never absent from episodes before is funny to me

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing I've seen on either reboot is as bad as Season 9 of the original show, so I am not sure where the myth that Roseanne Barr's vision is essential to this show being a success comes into play here. In fact, its been discussed repeatedly on that show's forum about how that show declined in quality as her ego and fame grew.

They will never be able to recapture the magic of seasons 1-5 and that is true whether Barr is involved in the show or not. And the original always tackled social issues, such as Fisher's domestic abuse with Jackie. Amy Sherman-Palladino, Joss Whedon, and Chuck Lorre were among just a few of the writers of the original. It will be hard for any writing team to live up to that talent,so I cut this team some slack.

It's the overwhelming focus on Darlene that is going to bug me. This episode was fine but next week looks like overload. We know everything about what happened to Darlene in the past 20 years but still have no clue how Original Recipe Mark died, how Becky ended up where she did, what happened to Andy and how that's affected Jackie.  That is the part that bugs. If Sara would take the focus off her character for 5 minutes to give the audience a chance to find out what is going on with everyone else, it would greatly help.

I'm not bitter towards Sara because it is understandable that as EP, your character would come first. To skip over glaring details about other characters that are important to long-time fans is what drives me insane.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly think Darlene is the heir to the show. Sara Gilbert's performances since the S10 premiere have been uniformly excellent. I don't think Gilbert is forcing the focus; I think the focus on the single struggling mother is natural.

I don't need to know exactly how Mark died, but Becky ending up where she did is not exactly a big change from her life at the end of Season 8-9. She was married to Mark in a dead end job because of poor choices; now she is widowed with the same. Andy is alive, he's just not around and was not a going focus last season. That was a choice the whole production made last year, not just Sara Gilbert. They've talked in the past about using Andy and Jerry eventually and I assume that they will do so sooner or later.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I noticed an old picture of Roseanne, Darlene, and...someone on the wall next to the front door during one of the living room scenes. It was obviously from the original show's run.

 

11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

It was a picture of Darlene and DJ from the 1st season , but "Roseanne"  was so blurry in that photo that I honestly don't think it was her. The person in the picture was too thin for the weight Roseanne was back then.

ETA: @MaryMitch I meant to write DJ and wrote David instead. Ugh. Edited and fixed.

That was a picture of the three kids.  Becky had big poofy/crimped hair in it, so that's probably why she looked like Roseanne from afar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

It's the overwhelming focus on Darlene that is going to bug me. This episode was fine but next week looks like overload. We know everything about what happened to Darlene in the past 20 years but still have no clue how Original Recipe Mark died, how Becky ended up where she did, what happened to Andy and how that's affected Jackie.  That is the part that bugs. If Sara would take the focus off her character for 5 minutes to give the audience a chance to find out what is going on with everyone else, it would greatly help.

I'm not bitter towards Sara because it is understandable that as EP, you're character would come first. To skip over glaring details about other characters that are important to long-time fans is what drives me insane.

AMEN!!!  Neither Darlene or her kids interest me.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Zoe said:

 

That was a picture of the three kids.  Becky had big poofy/crimped hair in it, so that's probably why she looked like Roseanne from afar.

Ohh, you could be right. The "big" hair looked dark on my screen, so I assumed it was Roseanne from the first season when her hair was like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I honestly think Darlene is the heir to the show. Sara Gilbert's performances since the S10 premiere have been uniformly excellent. I don't think Gilbert is forcing the focus; I think the focus on the single struggling mother is natural.

I think she's doing a good job of still being Darlene, but as an adult who knows that she cannot (and should not) be the exact same person(ality) she was in her teenage years.  

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

I like Darlene so I've enjoyed both reboots. Didn't miss Roseanne at all. I also like the more toned down quieter vibe without her there. 

Darlene's kids I could do without but they don't get much focus. I do like Dan bonding with his grandson, even when said grandson doesn't  have much of a personality. 

I like that this show allowed the characters to grow and change during the years. Unlike Will and Grace where they are in their 50's and still act like they are in 20's and 30's. I still see a Darlene that's a mother and an adult while still having some of the same personality, same with Becky.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They killed Patrick Duffy off of Dallas; then, when he decided he wanted to come back/his BFF, the late Larry Hagman convinced him to come back because Larry missed him being on set, they decided Patrick’s on again-off again wife in the show dreamed If thehis character died (he was the victim of a hit & run meant for her, caused by her half-sister who Patrick’s character had become involved with & who was jealous of Bobby’s continued warm relationship with his ex, with whom he also shared an adopted son). So it’s entirely possible they could retcon Roseanne’s death. They also do it all the time in daytime dramas.

If they retcon Roseanne's death after retconning Dan's, that will be too much absurdity even for this show.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

It's a very thinly sourced article being re-circulated on Twitter. It is not indicative of the network at large.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

This one felt awkward but I understand why given that they're dealing with Roseanne's death which doesn't really lend itself to being funny. The only laughs for me were from Becky. The comment about the pills being the only thing she wanted was darkly funny.

The corn cob holders go in the silverware drawer. In that weird little section in the holder where you put cheese knives and the like. Yep.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

 

The acting was creepy.  There's a reason the actor who plays Becky quit the business after the original Roseanne folded. She's terrible, she can't act.

 

That's actually not true at all. Lecy Goranson did originally leave the old show to attend Vassar College, but she has had a varied career of supporting roles in movies/guest starring roles on TV/stage work in between her runs as Becky. 

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised at how well this turned out. There were a few awkward moments, but not too many. Between this and Murphy Brown's return this season, I was a LOT more nervous for this show, but I can now happily report that I'm enjoying both. I'm in!

And Wacky Jackie seems to be gone, praise Jesus. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Goodman looks every inch of the 70-something that he is. I'm not gonna bash the guy for losing weight, but the oversized shirts are not complimentary to him at all. I hope that as he moves on, he starts dressing for his weight.

John Goodman is only 66.  I think it's his weight loss that makes his face look older. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

John Goodman is only 66.  I think it's his weight loss that makes his face look older. 

yea when you lose A LARGE amount of  weight when you are older your skin doesn't snap back and tighten like it would when you are younger so the skin will have a hanging apperance like he does the only thing you could do would be to get a "lift" to get rid of the excess skin

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

For me one of the biggest problems with the revival has been the differences between the original cast and the revival cast, who are much more generic TV sitcom-esque. That's one of the struggles I've had with Darlene's son - I appreciate the idea of Mark but he just never really feels like he would be a Conner to me (not because he's gender-fluid but just because of his personality and line delivery).

I just... am tired of the "gay kid changes an older person's view on homosexuality" trope. And I hate that it's always portrayed as an ignorant older person finally getting a clue on how to be decent. The reality in this world? Is that Mark *wearing skirts* would be a HUGE issue in an elementary school in the Midwest, complete with threats towards the family etc. Also complete with beatings at school and school employees willfully "not seeing" the incident and possibly even the school insisting on a dress code so little Mr Fancy Skirts would be required to dress a certain way. I just think this gives a really unrealistic image of what coming out in middle school really looks like. It would be nice to see a more honest portrayal and less "Silly Dan finally gets a clue on how to be open minded because his grandson is gay and so he can finally see gay people as something other than gay stereotypes."

Like, for example, how about a discussion with Mark on how Enrique or Joey (or whatever his name was) might not actually want to be "seatmates" with a fellow boy? That his friends might not have crushes on him and might not reciprocate? Because trust me, however open minded Dan and Darlene might be, Enrique or Joey's parents might not be enthralled with this turn of events. 

I suppose I really dont want to see a painful story about gay hate but at the same time... I wish television shows would stop presenting this fantasy of "when you come out, your family will understand and things will only get better". Because that really is a fantasy for a lot of people.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

At first I was a little bummed to see that they didn't keep Xosha Roquemore as DJ's wife, but I ended up really liking the woman who took her spot. She was great.  

I'm only quoting you because you were the last person to praise the actress- but I... just don't see it.  I personally thought her line readings were terrible.  She's very stiff.  I hope she relaxes into the role.  But, I also think Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman are terrible too.  They seem to smirk their way through every single line reading.  Sara Gilbert does as well, but at least it goes with the character.  Also, IMDB lists Lecy as Alicia. 

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I really liked the homage to the old opening credits at the end, with most of the family around the table, talking and laughing. And while Darlene had Roseanne's old seat, they didn't have her do the same trademark belly laugh. The show has moved on, while still having some acknowledgement of the past. As it should be.

I really liked that too.  I was waiting for a laugh to be pulled out and focused on and I'm really glad it wasn't. 

1 hour ago, JapMo said:

One thing that truly bothered me.....Jackie blabbing about Roseanne's autopsy to not only Dan but Roseanne's daughters!!!  In real life, what sister would do that?  Let them think she died of a heart attack.  Okay, I'm over it...not real life. 

I actually disagree.  First, she was mid-sentence when Becky & Darlene came out.  If she had immediately clammed up they would've forced it out of her anyway.  Secondly, they are adults. Yes, they are Roseanne's children, but they are adults and can deal with real-life issues.  My bigger question was why was Jackie called and not Dan?  

1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Could be Becky. Could be Darlene, who had a ONS with David last season. The ongoing thread of David moving back to town and dating his new girlfriend (who he was already with at the time) is going to continue.

The unexpected pregnancy could also be David's new girlfriend's as that would affect Darlene and throw her for a loop.  

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Nothing I've seen on either reboot is as bad as Season 9 of the original show, so I am not sure where the myth that Roseanne Barr's vision is essential to this show being a success comes into play here. In fact, its been discussed repeatedly on that show's forum about how that show declined in quality as her ego and fame grew.

They will never be able to recapture the magic of seasons 1-5 and that is true whether Barr is involved in the show or not. And the original always tackled social issues, such as Fisher's domestic abuse with Jackie. Amy Sherman-Palladino, Joss Whedon, and Chuck Lorre were among just a few of the writers of the original. It will be hard for any writing team to live up to that talent,so I cut this team some slack.

It's the overwhelming focus on Darlene that is going to bug me. This episode was fine but next week looks like overload. We know everything about what happened to Darlene in the past 20 years but still have no clue how Original Recipe Mark died, how Becky ended up where she did, what happened to Andy and how that's affected Jackie.  That is the part that bugs. If Sara would take the focus off her character for 5 minutes to give the audience a chance to find out what is going on with everyone else, it would greatly help.

I'm not bitter towards Sara because it is understandable that as EP, your character would come first. To skip over glaring details about other characters that are important to long-time fans is what drives me insane.

In this version of the show, Andy never existed so it doesn't affect Jackie at all. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't see Dan having an epiphany and accepting a gay grandson, I saw a grief-stricken grandfather giving scant attention to his grandkid, realizing it and then giving him his full attention, Conner style with the Enrique comment. (ETA: and yes, a bit of discomfort that Mark was being open about stuff he'd rather not talk about.)

I thought the varied reactions of the kids were well done. Kids can be brutal about their elders dying. OTOH, Mary having the fruits/vegetables reaction was good, too - it was sweet she wanted to keep everyone else well but also evident she was processing things differently than Mark or Harris.  

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I just... am tired of the "gay kid changes an older person's view on homosexuality" trope.

While i agree with most of your post i have to say that givin the family dynamic this story line makes sense. Dan who has always been shown to be super protective of his family wouldn't just walk away from the kid or treat him any less then for Finally coming out yes he would be uncomfortable at first but his reaction to slowly coming around does make sense  and it wasnt just one episode shown of him being ok this story line has been playing out since last year ... Now the other points you made I agree 100% the school system and other ADULTS and kids esp in the Midwest def wouldn't be so friendly but even this aspect isnt so far off... growing up in a small town in Tennessee and I mean small and being gay I yes had one or two insistence of bullying  however since everyone in the town knew my rather large family they left me alone for the most part because they knew if you messed with me you messed with everyone in my family I'm sure some nasty things were said about me behind my back but it wasn't spoke to me or anyone around me ...so they could be going that route with this story line the town knows you mess with one CONNER you mess with them all and they will fight hard ......

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

In this version of the show, Andy never existed

Not true. The showrunners discussed him last year and said they'd probably bring him and Jerry on at some point.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My first reaction to watching this was "Wow, did they have to kill her?".  Plus there's seems to be some incongruity between the message that we're supposed to miss the character and revile the actress.  

It was clever the way they tied it back to the opiod plot in the previous season though, and the Mary Steenburgen character plot with the high price of health care and health care insurance, which is another subject touched upon last season.  This very realistic problem is certainly one that would affect the Conners, and fits in well with the tradition of the show.

Laurie Metcalf showed what a great actress she is (again).  Hopefully things will get at least a little more cheery from here (although Roseanne never exactly had a "chipper" feel to it).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

The reality in this world? Is that Mark *wearing skirts* would be a HUGE issue in an elementary school in the Midwest, complete with threats towards the family etc. Also complete with beatings at school and school employees willfully "not seeing" the incident and possibly even the school insisting on a dress code so little Mr Fancy Skirts would be required to dress a certain way. I just think this gives a really unrealistic image of what coming out in middle school really looks like.

Much of that storyline was portrayed last year. But not in the depth or realistic outcomes you noted. Mark was twice sent home from school: first for wearing a skirt and then for carrying a knife (to defend himself against bullies). His grandmother came to his homeroom and put the kids on blast. Dan spoke with Darlene about his coming to terms with Mark's being queer, the basis of Dan's saying, "I didn't get a head this big by having a closed mind." 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Not true. The showrunners discussed him last year and said they'd probably bring him and Jerry on at some point.

Oh.  Weird.  I guess I was only going by what posters were discussing last year when I was reading through and how Jackie never once mentioned him last season.  I haven't really read anything from the show runners.  So, I stand corrected!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I didn't see Dan having an epiphany and accepting a gay grandson, I saw a grief-stricken grandfather giving scant attention to his grandkid, realizing it and then giving him his full attention, Conner style with the Enrique comment. (ETA: and yes, a bit of discomfort that Mark was being open about stuff he'd rather not talk about.)

 

Yeah, I think the main discomfort coming from Dan wasn't that Mark was talking to him about his crushes on boys but rather that Mark was talking to him about his crushes, period. He even compared it to Becky and Darlene having crushes - this is something that Roseanne would talk to them about, not Dan. Dan has always seemed uncomfortable with having those types of talks - I remember Roseanne once telling him to talk to Becky about her life and it ended up with Becky yelling about him being nosy after Darlene pointed out that she just got dumped ("You hit the ground like a safe.")

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

While i agree with most of your post i have to say that givin the family dynamic this story line makes sense. Dan who has always been shown to be super protective of his family wouldn't just walk away from the kid or treat him any less then for Finally coming out yes he would be uncomfortable at first but his reaction to slowly coming around does make sense  and it wasnt just one episode shown of him being ok this story line has been playing out since last year …

I don't entirely disagree - Dan isn't and wasn't what I would consider a raging homophobe before. I think, to a point, I've just always found this storyline a little trite - along the lines of "of COURSE the only grandson is a flame on gay  and of COURSE we're troubled but ultimately accepting" and it would be nice to see a gay male child/teen on a tv show who wasn't doing his nails, and fixing his skirts, and covering everything with glitter as he prances about with his accepting family. I mean, there are other flavors of gay out there, but in tv land, it's mostly characters like Mark.

As for your other comment, yes, I do think that not every gay person grows up in a Hunger Games battle royale fight club situation but I think I see way too many stories from adults about the horror that it sometimes irks me that on tv, your family always comes around.

Pallas - yes, I watched last season and Mark's entry, and found it a little pie in the sky as well. But I will also confess, the older I get the less I love the adorable precious artsy kids on tv shows...

*For the record, it is possible to portray gay characters as something other than artsy flamers, they do it on Ozark, and I'd love to see Dan meet a guy who does drywall and drinks beer and has a husband. It's disappointing that Mark tends to be a stereotype.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the show was uneven but ultimately I liked it.  I probably won’t watch that day in the future but will definitely be watched within the week.  Jackie was amazing and I agree with others that she finally got good material to work with. 

In regards to Becky, my favorite line of hers was when she blasted Darlene for not having boobs (paraphrased).  A. It sounded ad-libbed and Darlene’s reaction seemed genuine and B. My sisters and I rib each other the same way so it rang really true to me.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I actually disagree.  First, she was mid-sentence when Becky & Darlene came out.  If she had immediately clammed up they would've forced it out of her anyway.  Secondly, they are adults. Yes, they are Roseanne's children, but they are adults and can deal with real-life issues.  My bigger question was why was Jackie called and not Dan?  

Jackie said she has a friend that works at the coroner's office. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Melina22 said:

And the final scene with Dan alone in the bed felt so real.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this....for me, Goodman was the MVP of the night.  I like LM but she reminds me now of Al Pacino, in that once he did Tony Montana his voice and mannerisms seemed to have followed him in every role he does since; in her case Gilligan Jackie ruined her.  Anyway, Dan had my heartstrings all eppy and I bet he's going to take to the bottle for a while due to Rosie's death.

Speaking of which....forget the actress, I don't miss Roseanne Conner at...all!  Don't let the door hit you, ya'll know the rest.

Liked DJ/Gina and hope to see more of them.

Darlene had me too with the 'It hurts!', then to find out she was talking about the corn holders.  I related to her and Becky's inappropriate laughing/jokes because with the past few funerals (grandparents, favorite aunt), our families had tons of inappropriate laughter and jokes afterwards.

I hope the show gets the chance to last.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

The unexpected pregnancy could be the daughter in law. She’s unexpectedly home on leave. Just please not make it Harris.  Although it could be Becky given she was told she probably wouldn’t be able to conceive.  

Like some of the others, I really don’t need to see much of the next generation of Conners. I really prefer the interaction of the adults. But we need the kids to make it more of a family feel. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I only caught the last bit when the show aired last night -- when Dan went to bed.  I thought it was curious that he actually got into bed on Roseanne's side (see original series for reference).  She always slept on the right side; Dan was on the left.  Maybe this was a continuity error on the producers' part?  Or perhaps it reflected something I read once about a newly-widowed man.  His wife, whom he adored, had passed away after a long illness.  Someone told him it might help to sleep on her side of the bed.  That way he wouldn't wake up and constantly be reaching out to the empty space where his wife had slept beside him for decades.  It was a sad, sweet and very touching thought.  Can't help wondering if there was a bit of that going on in this scene?

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

The unexpected pregnancy could be the daughter in law. She’s unexpectedly home on leave.

Geena is also a series regular now. (Though in the grand tradition of Natalie West/Crystal she does not appear to be in the new opening, just as West wasn't in the opening of the middle seasons of the original while still billed as a regular. That could change next week, who knows.)

Was there a promo for next week/the season after the show?

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Bastet said:
13 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

are we supposed to think trading prescription drugs is like a normal thing

Well, it's certainly not uncommon.  What she described is a scenario that does play out - it comes up in conversation that Person A can't afford all they need of Drug X, and Person B says, "Oh, I took that last year; my doctor switched me to a different med, so I have some left - you can have them."  One subset of that is the case where someone dealing with chronic pain runs out of pills, and someone who was prescribed a number of those pills for an acute injury has some left over and helps out.  They certainly may not know the person has become addicted in scenarios like that, where there is a chronic ailment and the addict was prescribed that drug. 

True. Happens every day in my world. My roommate doesn't have healthcare so she's on Medicaid. Certain medications she either can't get or can't afford, so her sister, who is a gov't employee with great medical, will tell her doctor "I need this med for this malady" and give the prescription to her sister.

Happens more often than you think.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Jackie said she has a friend that works at the coroner's office. 

Yeah, I mean I know it was like a 1000 years ago, but Jackie was a cop - makes perfect sense to me that someone would let her know what was going on ESPECIALLY when it’s a bombshell like that.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size