Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Keep on Truckin'

tessaray
  • Start Topic

36 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I tuned in to see how they'd off Roseanne. I don't think I'll be back, mostly because I wasn't a big fan of the original series and didn't watch the first-season reboot at all. I've long found Roseanne to be unfunny, crude, and obnoxious. 

Same here, never watched the original, wasn't interested in the reboot last year, but the GF was recording it to see how they wrote her out, so we ended up watching.  Not a terrible episode, not a bundle of laughs, expected due to the subject, but I don't I'll stick around.

Wow am I tired of sit COMS(COMEDY) trying to preach at me. Just make me laugh at inane things, please! I understand it had to involve getting rid of Roseanne but this show was preachy even before it became The Connors.

I have never been a fan of Dan and I still think he seems awkward or something is going on with his health? He seems to not really focus his eyes and he seemed shaky in the scene in the living room with Darlene.

I have always liked Jackie but even her eyes seemed weird and unfocused in the last scene. Strange stuff.

Still really like Becky as she is quick witted and has great comedic timing.

I'll give this a couple more chances but things don't look great.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

I would put Laurie Metcalf right up there with John.  Even higher.

When they give her good scenes. She's so often over-the-top wacky Jackie that she's more of a caricature. So Laurie, yes, but she's not given a chance to show it often enough on this show. I know I'm in the minority feeling that way.

• Love 5

I’m sure we’ll keep watching in the MML house because Laurie and John, and plus I love Becky’s character so much, I’d watch just for her. Darlene is a but too smug to be real imo and everyone else is just sort of there.

Before Roseanne Barr blew herself up, last season there was a big running theme about aging parents, so John Goodman’s age as Dan should continue to be featured. 

I am tired to death of Mary Steenburgen but I disliked that plotline anyway—are we supposed to think trading prescription drugs is like a normal thing and a political statement? And MS’s character had no idea Roseanne was addicted? Why couldn't she have known that? Can’t Roseanne’s character have just been a garden variety prescription opioid addict?  I hope that subplot can be buried now with Roseanne’s character and we don’t see MS again.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

He looked so haggard and grief stricken. It was perfect for the part he's playing but I hope that's not what he's left with after the serious weight loss.

Well he went through some stuff lately. Broke a rib. Could explain some of it.

Now grateful the controversy led to the new spin-off, The Conners, costarring Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf, Goodman recalls struggling “for about a month,” he says. “And then other things started going wrong. I fell down the steps and broke a rib. My wife got sick — just all kinds of weird stuff happened at one time. But I just had a feeling that it would work out.”

Source:  https://people.com/tv/john-goodman-struggled-after-roseanne-cancellation/

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I got caught up in baseball and missed the first five minutes, so I missed the entire set-up!  I knew from spoilers how Roseanne had died, but damn, I cannot believe I missed the entire opening.  Anyone want to recap, feel free.

They crammed a lot in the first couple of minutes.  It opens with dishwashing and a discussion of death and casseroles, DJ and Gina come in, Jackie gets a phone call, Dan's back is bothering him because he's sleeping on the couch (evidently Roseanne died in bed), Gina and Darlene have a quippy conversation about the Bible, hell and reincarnation - they're smiling like it's a familiar thing and then Jackie comes in from the porch and brings Dan out there to tell him that the coroner's report says Roseanne died of an overdose.  All in the first 3 minutes. 

• Love 12

I agree with everyone that Dan/John looks haggard, but I just see it as a natural result of losing a significant amount of weight at a later age. I've seen it in friends and relatives. It takes some getting used to, because it tends to make people look tired and drawn when they're often quite healthy. I'm pleased John didn't go the plastic surgery route at least, and right now his exhausted and haggard look is actually very appropriate for his character. 

Watching tonight's episode, there was a big gap in quality between the good and the bad actors. A few of the bad ones really took me out of the story. But I'm hoping they'll get better with more experience, the way some of the original cast did. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, tessaray said:

They crammed a lot in the first couple of minutes.  It opens with dishwashing and a discussion of death and casseroles, DJ and Gina come in, Jackie gets a phone call, Dan's back is bothering him because he's sleeping on the couch (evidently Roseanne died in bed), Gina and Darlene have a quippy conversation about the Bible, hell and reincarnation - they're smiling like it's a familiar thing and then Jackie comes in from the porch and brings Dan out there to tell him that the coroner's report says Roseanne died of an overdose.  All in the first 3 minutes. 

Thank you.  Wow, that is indeed a lot of exposition in an opener.  Knowing Roseanne died in bed and Dan was sleeping on the couch makes the tag even more powerful now, and it got to me just on general principle!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Thank you.  Wow, that is indeed a lot of exposition in an opener.  Knowing Roseanne died in bed and Dan was sleeping on the couch makes the tag even more powerful now, and it got to me just on general principle!

I missed the first 5 minutes too and had just watched it on the dvr.  You should definitely try to catch it online, there were some good lines. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Also, "laughing at inappropriate times is what Mom taught us to do."

I really hope this show succeeds.  I've always liked all of the actors and characters, and now it's a chance to see more layers from all of them.

I've found my family laughs a lot during times of crisis. It's how we make it through.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, it's certainly not uncommon.  What she described is a scenario that does play out - it comes up in conversation that Person A can't afford all they need of Drug X, and Person B says, "Oh, I took that last year; my doctor switched me to a different med, so I have some left - you can have them."  One subset of that is the case where someone dealing with chronic pain runs out of pills, and someone who was prescribed a number of those pills for an acute injury has some left over and helps out.  They certainly may not know the person has become addicted in scenarios like that, where there is a chronic ailment and the addict was prescribed that drug. 

Very true. We switched my son's sleeping pill and now I have a whole bottle of the old one. I've taken them occasionally when I can't sleep. The scenario above has happened as well.

• Love 15

Re: Goodman’s weight

When my dad passed, my mom just quit eating unless my sisters and I bugged her. She looked like that after a month and shopping was the last thing on her mind. Her clothes bagged like that. 

Mr SD and I liked it. The corn cob holder bit made me tear up. I was curious to see how they killed R off... it did surprise me that it was just BOOM! 

We will keep on watching. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think Jackie's storyline will be the most interesting.  Roseanne was such a huge presence for her entire life to the point where I doubt Jackie was making many decisions absent Roseanne's input.  I think it will be fascinating to watch Jackie try to live life on her own.   

I really, really hope they have Jacki grow strong and successful, rather than becoming a huge mess, after she learns to navigate life without her best friend and sister.  She'd still have her quirks and her weak moments, of course, but overall I want things to turn out well for her.  I will be pissed if Jackie's character suffers more bad writing.  That could be the thing that makes me tune out. 

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I agree with everyone that Dan/John looks haggard, but I just see it as a natural result of losing a significant amount of weight at a later age.

After significant weight loss, people look "misshapen" (for lack of a better word) for a few months while their body adjusts. My high school friend could always tell someone who had just lost a lot of weight. After a few months, everything gets readjusted and they usually look just fine. I'd like to see what John Goodman looks like around the end of the year, and I bet it's a lot less noticeable then.

• Love 5

I thought the episode was a fairly realistic portrayal of the family experience after an unexpected death. There were moments of grief, moments of anger, and moments of humor, plus the emotional and physical exhaustion of dealing with that kind of loss and its aftermath. My favorite humorous scene was when Becky gave up the bottle of pills she'd found and remarked that those were the one thing she wanted out of her mom's closet. For grief, the scene with Darlene and Jackie when Jackie is essentially breaking down was completely on point. Dan's anger at the woman who had given Roseanne her pain pills was also very realistic; instead of blaming Roseanne for taking too many pills, it's much easier to blame an outsider, even one who meant well.  That's an issue Dan will have to deal with at some point, that it wasn't just Roseanne borrowing a few pills from a friend; it was Roseanne hoarding pills obtained from more than one source. I hadn't watched the reboot prior to this episode, but from what I've read, Becky also lost her spouse suddenly to an overdose, or something similar; she may be able to provide some insight to Dan about the experience. It will be interesting to see how the family as a whole deals with that knowledge. 

There were a couple of moments when it felt clunky, but like the original series, at least for me, the moments that reflected the reality of their life more than made up for the occasional awkwardness. This episode interested me enough to keep me watching the rest of this season, and I also now want to watch last season.

ETA: @Bastet, I'd been aware that the actor who played Mark died of an OD, but for some reason I had inferred from various comments I'd seen that the character was also supposed to have died of an OD. Which just proves that I need to watch last season for myself rather than rely on secondhand information. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, BookWoman56 said:

I hadn't watched the reboot prior to this episode, but from what I've read, Becky also lost her spouse suddenly to an overdose, or something similar;

I don't think they said how Mark died (the actor, Glenn Quinn, died of an overdose).

• Love 6

I'd like to see what John Goodman looks like around the end of the year, and I bet it's a lot less noticeable then.

If John was younger I'd agree with you. Sadly, older faces aren't as forgiving. They tend not to "bounce back". Gravity sucks. 

I'm shocked to  hear the actor playing Mark OD'd. That's so sad. It must have made this episode that much more poignant for the cast. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

After significant weight loss, people look "misshapen" (for lack of a better word) for a few months while their body adjusts.

That happened to my dad when he was sick. He was always a big, bulky guy, so to see him so freaking skinny and seeing his clothes hanging off of him was definitely a little unsettling. It took some getting used to, for sure. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, SHD said:

Scenes like the one on the porch with Marcy show that John Goodman is 1000x better at acting than anyone else on the show. It's not even close.

Totally agree.  The man is a national treasure.  Never saw him give a bad performance anywhere.

• Love 15

I thought the laugh track was pretty bad, with it laughing it parts that wasn't even meant to be funny and everything.  Despite them trying to put the comedy in, I still thought it was a pretty sad episode. It feels very weird without Roseanne there too.

Now I'm curious to see how future episodes will go.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 2

This is Dan? He looks like Willem Dafoe.

gbxjc3p0pa9xigk9tx4c.jpg

I never got to see DJ’s family before the reboot was erased Soviet style. 

I really like that the actors are using their indoor voices for The Conners. Everyone seems to have lifted their game. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Mary Steenburgen really needs makeup.  She sure looks her age!

She looked AMAZING in Book Club.

I think John Goodman's hair color on the show also looks weird and different, contributing to the overall different look. He was on GMA yesterday and will be on Kelly & Ryan this morning.

I almost thought a different actor was playing Harris. Her hair color is much lighter than last season.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 4

The drug swapping reveal/swapping resonated with me more than any issue they touched on last season.  I wonder if Roseanne had been pill trading for awhile or if she started to when her addiction got worse.  But yes, people have been trading prescription pills for years, it's an unfortunate fact of life for some people.

• Love 15

If you were expecting hysterical laughter and are blaming the lack of Roseanne for that that is just silly.  This is in the nature of “very special episode” and those tend to have a bit of drama to it.    And I am guessing this was the episode to see Dan and Jackie mourn. 

Spoiler

David should be in next episode so my guess is Darlene will have her breakdown episode then.

Again I though this hit all the right notes considering what it was trying to do.   I like Sarah Gilbert so i have no issue with her leading the show but I think with Roseanne gone this will actually become a true ensemble.  You know “The Connors” and not just focus around one actor with no previous acting experience.  

The drug swapping thing worked because it does happen and Roseanne has the personality of thinking everything is on her.  And Dan was essentially right Roseanne did what she wanted.  I thought the line by Becky about the pills being the only thing in Roseanne closet she wanted being inappropriately funny.

But in retrospect I think my favorite scene was Dan helping Mark decide what boy he will sit next to on a bus  and therefore have s crush on.  The entire scene was hilarious in an otherwise melancholy episode.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 20
8 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I was finding the show just okay, until the scene between Darlene and Jackie, which choked me up more than any show, drama or comedy, has in a very long time. It was so moving, and so beautifully acted. And the final scene with Dan alone in the bed felt so real.

I have to admit, though, that I'm uneasy with Darlene's son's storyline, which appears to revolve almost entirely around his sexual orientation. To me this seems sort of inappropriate, given that he appears to be about 8. It's almost like he's there to make a point, rather than just being a member of the family. I wish they'd made him older and/or less one-note. I'm sure lots will disagree with me, but that's okay. 

I'm not 100% onboard with the show yet, but I'll definitely keep watching. 

I agree - I had tears in my eyes when I saw Darlene's eyes welling up and then seeing Jackie's welling up too. And I get why Dan wouldn't want to sleep in the bed she died in. I also agree about Mark being so one-note. Does he not have any other aspects to his personality/life.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I was finding the show just okay, until the scene between Darlene and Jackie, which choked me up more than any show, drama or comedy, has in a very long time. It was so moving, and so beautifully acted. And the final scene with Dan alone in the bed felt so real.

I have to admit, though, that I'm uneasy with Darlene's son's storyline, which appears to revolve almost entirely around his sexual orientation. To me this seems sort of inappropriate, given that he appears to be about 8. It's almost like he's there to make a point, rather than just being a member of the family. I wish they'd made him older and/or less one-note. I'm sure lots will disagree with me, but that's okay. 

I'm not 100% onboard with the show yet, but I'll definitely keep watching. 

With all due respect, though I don’t know what age the character of Mark Healy (Conner-Healy?) is supposed to be either (you said around 8, but didn’t seem to know for sure, either), at least some children actually do have an idea of what their sexual orientation is, & what the concept of “sexual orientation” means, at a very young age (way before puberty & hormones kick in) like Mark’s supposed to be. And I mean in reality, not just fantasy/fiction, like on TV or in the movies. Also, they have those ideas on their own, not “fed” to them by their parents or others.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 23
9 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Guys, help me out--what happened to Jackie's son? I missed the first incarnation of the reboot, did they recon him out?

It appears they may have retconned him (& Jackie’s son, Andy) out of this reboot of the reboot—but we could be surprised in a later ep. Jerry, Roseanne & Dan’s baby in the original series (written in because Roseanne actually got pregnant by the guy she married after Tom Arnold, I think it was; the guy who was apparently 1 of her bodyguards), was referred to in Ep 1 of the original reboot. He was said to be on a fishing boat somewhere (apparently he’s a fisherman, somehow, by profession—that’s what I got outta the comment anyway). As I remember, they’ve been ignoring Jackie’s son, Andy, who’s about the same age (but the Murphy Brown revival is also ignoring how Corky & Miles had a whirlwind “fall in love/get married, then end up divorced when the actor who played Miles left the show” storyline, because the show’s creator didn’t like it, & apparently didn’t create that storyline either; so retcons happen—there’s also the sudden disappearance of child/sibling characters in other TV shows).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix excessive, unnecessary italics and spacing.
  • Love 5

I don't miss Roseanne, but I do still miss the great acting and strong writing that was the backbone of the original show, and that was absent from last season too.  The "jokes" barely land, everyone sounds like they're reading lines off cue cards...I just don't get how such a talented group of people can put out such an amateur hour kind of product.  I love this cast but the quality (or lack thereof) of the work bums me out too much.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got caught up in baseball and missed the first five minutes, so I missed the entire set-up!  I knew from spoilers how Roseanne had died, but damn, I cannot believe I missed the entire opening.  Anyone want to recap, feel free.

If you wanna watch it (again), & you subscribe or wanna start a free month trial, it’s on Hulu now. It’s also on abc.com/the ABC (the US TV network, not the Australian) app. But for some unfathomable reason, they changed things (I can’t remember when) so that you can’t watch ABC shows on their site/app for 8 days after the network airs them (other networks let you watch the next day).

Shitshow.  Because a dead mom always makes for a good comedy. 

The acting was creepy.  There's a reason the actor who plays Becky quit the business after the original Roseanne folded. She's terrible, she can't act.

I was embarrassed for Laurie Metcalf.  I wish them all well but I think the big break that Roseanne (the show AND the person) afforded them all, is over.  Except for John and Laurie.  But man, even THEY stunk up the joint last night.

• Love 2

Apparently, ABC regrets firing Roseanne Barr now. I wonder if she's ever able to return, they would retcon her death like they did to Dan in the past. Then maybe this show could just turn out to be Dan's dream, while the original show continues? That would be interesting.

• Love 1

I never really thought of Roseanne as a haha funny sitcom, they tackled more serious subjects then most sitcoms. I always liked the show because it used more sarcastic humor which is what I'm like. 

With this episode it was again a more serious subject matter, a death in the family. But they still had their sarcasm. For this reboot and the first one. I really like the Becky and Darlene's sister relationship. They feel and act like siblings, they fight, they make fun of each other, they band together and ignore DJ when DJ says they ignore him all in one scene. 

John Goodman does look rough but it worked for this episode. He looks like a man that lost his wife suddenly. I also liked seeing how each of them handled her death. 

I'll keep watching, plus I have nothing else on that time on Tuesdays. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 13

It sounds like Roseanne's dismissal has turned away some viewers, but that's what got me to check it out. I have fond memories of the original show, but had no interest in watching the revival because of Roseanne's involvement. I tuned in last night out of curiosity and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. As others have said, there are some rough bits (particularly with the kids), but I'm really interested in seeing where they go with the adult characters post-Roseanne. I had forgotten how grating laugh tracks can be, though, so that'll take some getting used to.

• Love 20

Becky to Darlene, "You're a scary little tyrant."  Made me laugh.

I hope DJ's wife is going to be a regular.  I liked the contrast Gina provided to Darlene and Becky.

Mark picking Joey, and Dan saying, "You don't leave an Enrique lying on the table," was funny to.

• Love 14

For grief, the scene with Darlene and Jackie when Jackie is essentially breaking down was completely on point. 

Oh my goodness, yes. It made me tear up, partly because the subject matter just made me sad and partly because I so get it. A few years ago, my friend died. And it was no surprise, really (longtime alcohol abuse), at least not at first when it had just happened. But then (and I hope I can adequately articulate this), it also was a surprise in the aftermath--in fact, it was many surprises, over and over and over, in terms of a sudden realization in the middle of doing some mundane ordinary thing (I mean, not that making a kitchen triangle is that ordinary!). I distinctly remember cleaning up after dinner about two weeks later-ish, same as usual, but then just all of a sudden having a big crying freakout because the thought "we'll never see him again" popped into my head! Walked right out of the room at some point leaving the water running, as my boyfriend whispered, "Oh no" to himself with a panicked look on his face (which is now actually funny to me when I picture it).

• Love 14

I had forgotten how grating laugh tracks can be, though, so that'll take some getting used to.

They didn't mention "The Conners was taped in front of a live studio audience."  It sounded kind of canned last night, like either it was fake, sweetened or they had an audience watch it on tape to get laughter that way.

The actor who plays Mark Is 12  so I would place Mark at about that age which is around the age most kids get their first crush.  

I assumed Mark is supposed to be around 11 to 13 because his crushes appeared to be middle school/junior high age. 

• Love 6

I really liked it. Jackie felt like Jackie again, Becky seemed like herself after being “off” last season, and Dan making the boy list with Mark was heart-warming. I watched last season but always felt guilty supporting a show with Roseanne and I’m now glad I can watch guilt-free ;)

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, yes. It made me tear up, partly because the subject matter just made me sad and partly because I so get it. A few years ago, my friend died. And it was no surprise, really (longtime alcohol abuse), at least not at first when it had just happened. But then (and I hope I can adequately articulate this), it also was a surprise in the aftermath--in fact, it was many surprises, over and over and over, in terms of a sudden realization in the middle of doing some mundane ordinary thing (I mean, not that making a kitchen triangle is that ordinary!). I distinctly remember cleaning up after dinner about two weeks later-ish, same as usual, but then just all of a sudden having a big crying freakout because the thought "we'll never see him again" popped into my head! Walked right out of the room at some point leaving the water running, as my boyfriend whispered, "Oh no" to himself with a panicked look on his face (which is now actually funny to me when I picture it).

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my sister to a drug over dose so I can totally relate. 

I liked the episode overall. That had to be hard as fuck to do for that cast. Mary S did great and I love Gina. Beautiful, smart and funny.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Lili said:

Apparently, ABC regrets firing Roseanne Barr now. I wonder if she's ever able to return, they would retcon her death like they did to Dan in the past. Then maybe this show could just turn out to be Dan's dream, while the original show continues? That would be interesting.

They killed Patrick Duffy off of Dallas; then, when he decided he wanted to come back/his BFF, the late Larry Hagman convinced him to come back because Larry missed him being on set, they decided Patrick’s on again-off again wife in the show dreamed his character died (he was the victim of a hit & run meant for her, caused by her half-sister who Patrick’s character had become involved with & who was jealous of Bobby’s continued warm relationship with his ex, with whom he also shared an adopted son). So it’s entirely possible they could retcon Roseanne’s death. They also do it all the time in daytime dramas.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Shitshow.  Because a dead mom always makes for a good comedy. 

The acting was creepy.  There's a reason the actor who plays Becky quit the business after the original Roseanne folded. She's terrible, she can't act.

I was embarrassed for Laurie Metcalf.  I wish them all well but I think the big break that Roseanne (the show AND the person) afforded them all, is over.  Except for John and Laurie.  But man, even THEY stunk up the joint last night.

The episode where Roseanne and Jackie lost their father was one of my favorites of the original show. This wasn't as good as that, of course, but I think this type of material can work, and I'd say it did here as well.

I thought Lecy Goranson was pretty decent last night. She has her rough moments, but she can be good in the dramatic moments (like when she told Darlene she can't help with Roseanne's death as she already had to do it with Mark), she has very good comic timing, and she and Sara Gilbert still have terrific chemistry. Lecy and Sara Gilbert (who to me has given the best performance on the reboot) are the main reason I tuned in.

There's definitely a lot of rustiness with the old cast and that can sometimes be painful to watch, but they still feel so real to me, and I connect with that.

Laurie Metcalf is a great actress but Jackie has been a mess of a character for a very long time and now seems to have little purpose beyond a reason for Metcalf to have some dramedic outbursts. John Goodman is a fine actor, but I'm not sure about him on here (and he also felt checked out of the last years of the original show)...he has his moments though.

For me one of the biggest problems with the revival has been the differences between the original cast and the revival cast, who are much more generic TV sitcom-esque. That's one of the struggles I've had with Darlene's son - I appreciate the idea of Mark but he just never really feels like he would be a Conner to me (not because he's gender-fluid but just because of his personality and line delivery). Darlene's daughter is also a bit fake TV-ish. With that said, they worked more for me yesterday - the moment where Mark sort of came out to Dan was sweet (and Goodman felt much more natural than he usually does), and I actually loved the scene where Harris and Darlene were talking about losing Roseanne. The bit where Darlene punked her over the letters Roseanne had left for them made me laugh out loud - it reminded me so much of the old show. 

I really liked the woman who played DJ's wife. The only thing is they didn't feel like husband and wife to me. I don't think the show is avoiding this because of her being black, but it was strange how the camera would cut away if they were going to kiss, and then when they walked in at the start he had some distance from her as well. 

I didn't watch a lot of last season, because of the stuff about Roseanne being a Trump supporter, and because of Roseanne Barr herself. As someone who barely watched the last 3-4 years of the show due to the increasingly bad quality, I didn't want just another reason to feel, for lack of a better word, betrayed. I decided to tune in last night mostly because I was so sick of seeing the cast attacked by some people for daring to move on without Barr. While it wasn't perfect, I still saw those glimmers of the best of the old show (which I think we need more than ever these days), and there was enough to make me tune in again next week.

5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

They killed Patrick Duffy off of Dallas; then, when he decided he wanted to come back/his BFF, the late Larry Hagman convinced him to come back because Larry missed him being on set, they decided Patrick’s on again-off again wife in the show dreamed his character died (he was the victim of a hit & run meant for her, caused by her half-sister who Patrick’s character had become involved with & who was jealous of Bobby’s continued warm relationship with his ex, with whom he also shared an adopted son). So it’s entirely possible they could retcon Roseanne’s death. They also do it all the time in daytime dramas.

Those were very different circumstances. I don't think they'd ever have Barr back, even for a cameo. I also don't know if I believe ABC regrets firing her. They had no real choice.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 16

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my sister to a drug over dose so I can totally relate. 

Thank you. And same to you--how horrible. Honestly, it's still a surprise sometimes, three years after! Not as dramatic, but there is sometimes a moment of...re-recognition, maybe? And now for my PSA pertaining to addiction: just like this show is saying, even if you are aware that a person has a problem (pills, booze, whatever), never assume that what you see is all there is to it. Odds are, even if the amount that you "know" they're abusing is already a lot, you can bet that it's way more than you think. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Those were very different circumstances. I don't think they'd ever have Barr back, even for a cameo. I also don't know if I believe ABC regrets firing her. They had no real choice.

I know that Roseanne’s never coming back. I guess I was just trying to explain to the original poster that they have retconned character deaths in primetime before (which they brought up, not me), so it would be possible to retcon this too, IF they wanted (which I know they don’t).

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SHD said:

Scenes like the one on the porch with Marcy show that John Goodman is 1000x better at acting than anyone else on the show. It's not even close.

That scene had a real "All in the Family" feel to it. Raw, and real. And I think that's the best thing this show has going for it. The episodes earlier this year touched that very briefly. I think The Connors can do more. Nobody has the nerve to do something as groundbreaking and daring as All in the Family anymore. This show might.

I didn't miss Rosanne. Her line delivery in the revival was often awkward and weirdly paced. Everyone else is more of an actor, with Goodman and Darlene being the best, IMO> Jackie was still a tad too much toward Barney Fife at time for me, though she was more restrained than before and that was welcome.

I don't know why DJ's wife isn't running that family. She's clearly capable. When she returns from her tour, watch out.

• Love 12