Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Keep on Truckin'

tessaray
  • Start Topic

Am I wrong, or did it appear that any pictures of Roseanne have been removed from the set?  I didn't see anything.  I liked the scene with Jackie and Darlene.  Some of the scenes felt off, like they were too reliant on the laugh track to try and convince the audience they were funny. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Laurie Metcalf made me cry.

Yeah, that scene between her and Darlene got to me a little. I also felt so much for Dan. 

27 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

For me two best scenes, Dan and Marcy on the porch and Darlene and Jackie.  I liked DJ's wife.

Same. 

I liked this. I thought it fit in well alongside some of the more serious moments in the original "Roseanne".

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Am I wrong, or did it appear that any pictures of Roseanne have been removed from the set?  I didn't see anything. 

I noticed an old picture of Roseanne, Darlene, and...someone on the wall next to the front door during one of the living room scenes. It was obviously from the original show's run.

• Love 5

What a boring mess. Acting skills generally what you would see in high school. Morbid story line. Everybody stands around looking bored or shouting lines without engaging in a conversation. The show will likely be cancelled after four weeks, though I think some of the talented actors will head to the lifeboats sooner. Bet some of the actors are talking to their agents now about getting off this sinking ship and about half the actors are so bad they will never work again. Even by today’s standards, this show isn’t fit for broadcast.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

DJ's wife is sharp! I loved her banter with Darlene. 

Same! I'm all for them having more scenes together. 

Line of the night: "Reservation? We have our own Cabana." 

LOL, I liked that line, too. 

• Love 15

eh ok, i hope to see better. Darlene's attempt at sad did not buy me, sorry to buck the trend here, it felt like distant relative i need to feel sad at type sad. Dan I bought emotionally, Jackie while goofy I bought as I think the character is somewhat mental to begin with. Zero death emotion Becky or DJ, but it's a sitcom, doesn't matter at all.

• Love 2

I agree with a couple of others that it was kind of awkward and clunky.  I'll give it a couple of more chances, though, to see if it improves.  It should get funnier, once the grieving has passed.  

I loved some of the more unexpected humor, like Becky saying the pills were the only thing she wanted from Roseanne's closet (even if that was a bit inappropriate given the circumstances).

That was my first laugh of the episode.  I also laughed when Jackie couldn't find the trash can because she had placed it outside of the kitchen triangle.

• Love 16

The producers, actors, etc did a very good job of making everyone look like they were 3 weeks into grieving... tired, haggard, cried out. I wonder how they did that - maybe make them stay up 24 hours and then film?  

I may be wrong, but I think Dan, Jackie and Becky have looked that way since last season.  The HD doesn't do them any favors. 

I think we all expected Jackie would have a lot of difficulty. Roseanne has been her protector/ manipulator Jackie's entire life.  Now she has to really stand on her own.

I think Jackie's storyline will be the most interesting.  Roseanne was such a huge presence for her entire life to the point where I doubt Jackie was making many decisions absent Roseanne's input.  I think it will be fascinating to watch Jackie try to live life on her own.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 15

I thought it was pretty good, but the whole everyone in Lanford is miserable and struggling is getting old.

please let Dan get a break with a life insurance policy which allows him to retire and take up a part time at the Lobo.  That would generate some storylines outside the house.  Or take over Roseanne’s Uber route.  Not like The lotto storyline, just enough money to not have to struggle so much. 

As long as they stay away from politics and get some breaks, the cast will be fine without RoseNne.  I think she was the one driving the constant down and outedness and political crap.  

• Love 18
59 minutes ago, Valny said:

Never thought it would be because of the pills. 

When I heard that she died I immediately thought it was pills related and related to the knee surgery.  It was a running theme  during last season that she had an addiction so for me, it made sense that it was going to be her conclusion.  

I want some light for this family again in some way.   Whether or not it returns next season, I hope the end game is they FINALLY have some happiness. 

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Btw, was that Mary Steenburgen? I barely recognized her.

I'm hoping it was the make up that was making her look puffy.  

• Love 8

I love Laurie Metcalf.  I like John Goodman.  Never cared for Roseanne as an actor or as a personality, but she had some good moments in her show(s). I watched the  Roseanne reboot for nostalgia purposes, but didn’t really like it.  Aside from Laurie, John and Roseanne, the rest of the cast couldn’t act or deliver lines that landed IMO. Then the sh** hit the fan, and the reboot got rebooted. I said I’d tune in to the first ep just to see how they’d kill off Rosie.  My opinion of the non Goodman and Metcalf cast stands.  Peeee-eeewww!  The rest of the cast still stinks.

And I get that the show runners had to wrap up the Roseanne issue quickly to move forward, but the story just didn’t hit an even tone for me.  I think it was an interesting and timely choice to have Rosie OD.  Opioid addiction and health care cost are two of our biggest problems that no one in Washington has addressed in any meaningful way.  

But as for this show, I won’t be back for episode 2.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Valny said:

I had two guesses how she died:  1. Car accident and 2. Heart attack.    Never thought it would be because of the pills.  You got me show.

Roseanne said a few weeks ago that this is how her character would die, and that's all I cared to know.  I have no interest in this show, as I only tuned into the remake of the original series out of curiosity,  with no ties to the original series.   I wish them  the best of luck in this current endeavor though. 

• Love 1

I got the feeling they skipped the makeup chair to achieve the bereaved look for everyone.

did anyone else swear Laurie sounded like Mary Cooper with her first few lines? No? Just me? Better cut back on the BBT reruns then.

• Love 6

Uncivil posts have been removed. The show, characters, actors, storylines and creative team are all fair game, but not each other. Again, as tessaray noted above: "Direct comments to what happens on-screen and not your fellow posters." 

We are not the Conners; we just watch them on TV.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

Man, John Goodman has lost some serious weight.

DJ's wife is sharp! I loved her banter with Darlene. 

Line of the night: "Reservation? We have our own Cabana." 

I hope this Jackie stays as well. 

I didn't miss Rosanne at all. 

My daughter totally picked the broody, sarcastic boy, and predicted Darlene's son would, too. Loved Dan helping him compare. 

I disliked DJ's wife. She has spent several months of deployment in a foreign country with a different culture, and she returns as a judgmental American "Christian," unable to look at any viewpoint of her own. Her crack to Darlene about reading the Bible, because Darlene dared mentioned a religion followed by a billion or so other people is what infuriates me most about myopic Americans. I've seen it with some of the veterans I've worked with -- they return from deployment without an understanding of another culture.

I agree about not missing Roseanne.

1 hour ago, Concerned said:

What a boring mess. Acting skills generally what you would see in high school. Morbid story line. Everybody stands around looking bored or shouting lines without engaging in a conversation. The show will likely be cancelled after four weeks, though I think some of the talented actors will head to the lifeboats sooner. Bet some of the actors are talking to their agents now about getting off this sinking ship and about half the actors are so bad they will never work again. Even by today’s standards, this show isn’t fit for broadcast.

Both John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf are multiple award-winning actors. Roseanne was the truly awful actor, as are some of the kid actors.

I tuned in to see how they'd off Roseanne. I don't think I'll be back, mostly because I wasn't a big fan of the original series and didn't watch the first-season reboot at all. I've long found Roseanne to be unfunny, crude, and obnoxious. 

I liked the easy banter among Becky, Darlene, and DJ, but I don't see Darlene as the matriarch of the family. Then again, sometimes life forces us to take roles we never expected to.

• Love 15

I was finding the show just okay, until the scene between Darlene and Jackie, which choked me up more than any show, drama or comedy, has in a very long time. It was so moving, and so beautifully acted. And the final scene with Dan alone in the bed felt so real.

I have to admit, though, that I'm uneasy with Darlene's son's storyline, which appears to revolve almost entirely around his sexual orientation. To me this seems sort of inappropriate, given that he appears to be about 8. It's almost like he's there to make a point, rather than just being a member of the family. I wish they'd made him older and/or less one-note. I'm sure lots will disagree with me, but that's okay. 

I'm not 100% onboard with the show yet, but I'll definitely keep watching. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

Man, John Goodman has lost some serious weight.

He looked so haggard and grief stricken. It was perfect for the part he's playing but I hope that's not what he's left with after the serious weight loss.

• Love 11

It was okay for me. I wasn't expecting the first episode to be a barrel of laughs. It's not like every episode of Roseanne was funny either---lots of episodes had heavy material. The only time I felt anything in regards to Roseanne's death was when he went to lay down in the empty bed for the first time. I guess my anger at Barr still carries over to Roseanne Conner.

Goodman looks every inch of the 70-something that he is. I'm not gonna bash the guy for losing weight, but the oversized shirts are not complimentary to him at all. I hope that as he moves on, he starts dressing for his weight.

I'm not looking forward to this becoming Darlene and that is the direction this looks to be heading in. However,I'm still in it for Metcalf &Goodman. I do think this will be a one-season wonder even if the ratings are fantastic.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I noticed an old picture of Roseanne, Darlene, and...someone on the wall next to the front door during one of the living room scenes. It was obviously from the original show's run.

It was a picture of Darlene and DJ from the 1st season , but "Roseanne"  was so blurry in that photo that I honestly don't think it was her. The person in the picture was too thin for the weight Roseanne was back then.

ETA: @MaryMitch I meant to write DJ and wrote David instead. Ugh. Edited and fixed.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

It was a picture of Darlene and David from the 1st season , but "Roseanne"  was so blurry in that photo that I honestly don't think it was her. The person in the picture was too thin for the weight Roseanne was back then.

I didn't see the picture, but David didn't show up until season 4, so maybe it wasn't him either.

• Love 1