Type keyword(s) to search

S3: E3 A Whole Lotto Trouble

Cole juggles the realities of his job and his duty to be a good parent, as he and Murtaugh work together to bust a gang running a lottery scam. Murtaugh gets ready to celebrate his 30th anniversary with the LAPD and receives a surprise visit from his competitive father-in-law, Don Bennett.

Honestly I like the show so much better without Riggs at I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if we had not been subjected to two years of psychological problems and family drama.

I just hope that they don't have Cole go too far over the edge.

Seriously, Cole is so much more likable than Riggs. I didn't even mind when they laid it on THICK with his daughter or even when he rescued a little boy and slid down a cable one-handed using his belt while his daughter just happened to be passing by. It's luck, right? Murtaugh's father-in-law story felt a bit like something out of The Flintstones by comparison. Keesha Sharp really is an amazing pro though, she makes the most on-the-nose dialog sound 100% believable.

If Wayans wants to take off, give SWS the show and find him someone else to play off of.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX

I still can't believe I love Cole being a father. I didn't expect to feel for him when he was in the bathroom, but I sighed "wow" because this plot is in no way new and yet the scene worked for me. It felt emotional, not emotionally manipulative.

It also gives a fresh touch and a different flavor to the Murtaugh/Cole partnership. Roger giving tips about being a dad is both hilarious and rather endearing.

Sometimes, the writers are walking a fine line with me but somehow they manage to land on their feet. I worried Nat would become the cliché humorless bitter "responsible mother" but then she talked positively about Dad to Maya in the car and went to apologize to Cole. I worried that Maya would be a little brat but she didn't forget to thank Cole with a smile for getting her an ice cream, in the middle of her sulking. It makes it easier to remember that Nat was worried about leaving her daughter with a chaos bringer, albeit a well-meaning one, or that Maya had to make do without her dad (last time she saw him was three years before). No matter how likeable Cole is, I don't feel that the writing is heavily one-sided and it makes the storyline more compelling.

The storyline with Trish's dad played on Wayans' persona well. A bit more Bailey and Avery, always nice. Kevin Rahm and Keesha Sharp really have a nice chemistry.

Edited by Happy Harpy
15 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I worried Nat would become the cliché humorless bitter "responsible mother"

I was worried about this too but they pulled it all off really well. Usually when the "overprotective" parent complains about something the wacky parent does, it's written as an overreaction. Cole let Maya wander into a morgue, see him talk down a jumper, told her about the little boy who was killed, then wound her up in the Emergency Room. I think Nat was pretty justified in freaking out (especially since she was already concerned about how the night would go!) She came across as a fair and understandably nervous mom. Maggie Lawson's line delivery helped enormously too, especially "She told me she accidentally wandered into the morgue. You told her about a DEAD KID?!" That whole scene between her and SWS was just really well played by both of them. That 2-second hurt look that SWS flashes across his face when she says "I should never have agreed to let you watch her" is not something I would ever have imagined the guy who played Stiffler could do back in 2000.

Maya was pretty chill about the morgue and the head injury and the war stories though. Maybe she takes after her father.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
2 minutes ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Maggie Lawson's line delivery helped enormously too, especially "She told me she accidentally wandered into the morgue. You told her about a DEAD KID?!" That whole scene between her and SWS was just really well played by both of them.

Maggie Lawson is definitely an excellent fit, she never comes off as aggressive or petulant. And the easy chemistry between her and SWS helps a lot, too.

When I saw that there was a cast change I wasn't sure about it.  But I have watched 3 episodes & I like it way better than before.  I was a bit tired of Riggs after 2 years & his major drama.  The new guy adds a bit of spice & fun to the show.  I love that he questions things no matter whom is speaking, as I would think that is the way an Ex CIA agent would think.  I like that he has a family, I know its an ex-wife & a 12 year old daughter, but we are finding out about him through them all.  I really like the changes & I hope everyone else does as well so it can stay on the air for years to come.