Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Boy Wonder

• Start Topic

Just now, nokat said:

Thanks for that. I was wondering why people were questioning why Myrtle was back. Balenciaga!

Because at the end of Coven, after Misty was trapped in hell, Myrtle was burned at the stake a second time by *Cordelia* in order to start her reign as Supreme as a credible leader at Myrtle's request.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Rap541 said:

Because at the end of Coven, after Misty was trapped in hell, Myrtle was burned at the stake a second time by *Cordelia* in order to start her reign as Supreme as a credible leader at Myrtle's request.

After so many seasons, I've forgotten some details.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

No worries, one of my super powers is a remarkable memory for tv show plot details. :)

I admire that. 

Thanks to everyone saying this is a flashback.. So-with that it seems the main people survive?  Then what was the point of the beginning?  The Antichrist grows longer hair?

Ill sit back and watch and am still very much in but what?

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the episode -- particularly Myrtle.  Unfortunately, I grew up in the era of Fleetwood Mac's heyday (I'm old) and I cannot stand all that leather, lace, witchy bullshit that Stevie Nicks has always done.  Her performances made me think she was doing an underwear commercial on Dynasty (back in the days before Victoria's Secret.)  So, not only did that whole quarter of an hour (was it longer?) did nothing for me, I horked through most of it.  Plus, really, we're going to hoke up an already hokey song?  Ugh.  But, that's okay.  YMMV.

As an aside, I've seen a lot of "I couldn't watch the frog get dissected live" but no "I couldn't watch the teacher be eviscerated" even though they were the same scene.  People are funny.  We cringe at animals being hurt but not at human beings.  (For the record, the scene didn't bother me, either way.)

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Captanne said:

As an aside, I've seen a lot of "I couldn't watch the frog get dissected live" but no "I couldn't watch the teacher be eviscerated" even though they were the same scene.  People are funny.  We cringe at animals being hurt but not at human beings.  (For the record, the scene didn't bother me, either way.)

This made me laugh out loud. :-) (P.S. that was gross)

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Captanne said:

I enjoyed the episode -- particularly Myrtle.  Unfortunately, I grew up in the era of Fleetwood Mac's heyday (I'm old) and I cannot stand all that leather, lace, witchy bullshit that Stevie Nicks has always done.  Her performances made me think she was doing an underwear commercial on Dynasty (back in the days before Victoria's Secret.)  So, not only did that whole quarter of an hour (was it longer?) did nothing for me, I horked through most of it.  Plus, really, we're going to hoke up an already hokey song?  Ugh.  But, that's okay.  YMMV.

With you on both counts. I never really cared for Stevie, although I guess I like the occasional Fleetwood Mac song. 

I remember on TWD when the horrible CGI tiger was killed and people were acting like their beloved pet was murdered in front of them. This on a show that has had children torn apart by zombies. 

• Love 10

It’s as old as Stevie Nicks gray faux leather feathered jacket. You don’t hurt or  kill animals and you don’t kill little kids (preteen seem to be ok).

i think it’s because the biology prof was a dick. Had he shown an ounce of kindness there might have been a sentence of outcry. He sucked. The frog just wants to live an innocent life on a lily pad.  So I was ok seeing his intestines come out via the antichrist. 

• Love 14

Oh god. I have been holding out for the promised Murder House stuff, but to suffer through this to get to it ... 

My husband said, "So what was the big twist? Stevie Nicks sings? Because we already knew Murder House was coming." Pretty much.

Perhaps my biggest WTF (perhaps) was the silent movie bullshit for the seven wonders. There was literally no reason not to do that with a voiceover (Cordelia or Michael) with the names and descriptions of the tasks, except to test if the audience could read? Husband said since they'd blown their budget on magic last week this is what they were left with. Probably, especially since I guess they spent this week's on magical frogs and evisceration.

I am maybe the worst possible audience for this stuff because of my hatred of Coven, but I want Michael to kill them all.

Finally - in that outfit, Myrtle looked like Raggedy Ann.

• Love 5

I don't want to get too attached to Misty and Queenie because if Cordelia fixes this apocalypse mess by turning back time, then both ladies go back to unhappy eternities that she can't save them from. (And Madison too, but meh.) It was really good to see Misty Day again, though.

I am enjoying this season; I'd bingewatch the rest if it was an option. But this season could easily be 7-8 episodes and still cover everything.

I also think it may have been a mistake to have this season be the supposed end of the world. If all the seasons are connected, then the apocalypse doesn't hold much concern for the viewer when we already know that additional seasons are coming. And it would've been nice to spend the final season seeing our favorite characters again.

And to end on a positive note: MURDER HOUSE!!! Finally, finally, it's here. We only got, like, a five second glimpse this week and I still did a happy dance. Next week is gonna be great.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

Perhaps my biggest WTF (perhaps) was the silent movie bullshit for the seven wonders. There was literally no reason not to do that with a voiceover (Cordelia or Michael) with the names and descriptions of the tasks, except to test if the audience could read? Husband said since they'd blown their budget on magic last week this is what they were left with. Probably, especially since I guess they spent this week's on magical frogs and evisceration.

They presented the seven wonders the same way in Coven.  They did a lot of "historical" information that way - how the witches fled Salem etc - so it made sense there.  And since I love Coven I was excited to see them do it this way again.  I loved Michael's little hand over mouth giggle before he did the whichever wonder where he moves.

• Love 7

Next week's episode is slated to be 90 minutes, so YAY!!!! I was a little pissed they were only going to devote one commercial-packed episode to MH so, I'm happy.

I think they made the Seven Wonders montage old time black and white because we'd already seen Michael perform them the week before and we knew he was going to pass because, Antichrist. There was no suspense. And so they could fit in performance by Stevie Knicks. Murphy must be a fan. That's something I strongly dislike about RM:  many of his shows include appearances  by people HE loves but that others are kind of meh about. It feels like he's constantly writing things into scripts to accommodate his friends.

My husband said, "So what was the big twist? Stevie Nicks sings? Because we already knew Murder House was coming." Pretty much.

Yeah, this really disappointed me. Murphy way over-hyped the twist. Can you imagine the reaction if they kept the Back to MH plotline a secret? How phenomenal would that have been for viewers?

The official trailer for the season only includes scenes through episode 5. I'd always thought they shot the whole season before it aired. This season seems a little...messy? Like they're constantly re-shooting stuff last minute? The previews constantly contain scenes that weren't used in the final edit. There's definitely been a few scenes where Fern's Austrailian accident slips through so unmistakeably they probably had to re-shoot it.

As an aside, I'm realizing that there are casual fans, devoted fans, and flat out stans of this show. The stans are the ones calling Cody Fern Daddy and asking him to rearrange their insides. Seriously. Read the comments on his Instagram.  They're jaw-dropping.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

They presented the seven wonders the same way in Coven.  They did a lot of "historical" information that way - how the witches fled Salem etc - so it made sense there.  And since I love Coven I was excited to see them do it this way again.  I loved Michael's little hand over mouth giggle before he did the whichever wonder where he moves.

Ah okay. Obviously I had bailed on that season before that happened. Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I remember on TWD when the horrible CGI tiger was killed and people were acting like their beloved pet was murdered in front of them. This on a show that has had children torn apart by zombies. 

But.... Shiva was a kitty! D:

And all the children on TWD are so stupid, I mean.... its probably for the best for humanity's sake...

As someone who didn't know there was a rumored "twist" - I thought the twist was that Misty Day was back after being consigned to hell for eternity

• Love 8

The twist was the return to Murder House. Murphy first mentioned the twist before filming had even started then posted so much on Instagram and announced returns of fan-favorites that everybody figured it out. I love that he posts BTS stuff on Instagram, but he gives a lot of stuff away.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 2

Cody Fern gives some fascinating and in depth interviews about Langdon's Arc and who he really is. He says there have been clues in the past few episodes about his true mission, one of which was the  comment about thinking he killed them all and asking for help.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/cody-fern-american-horror-story-apocalypse-interview-1202976609/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/american-horror-story-apocalypse-is-michael-langdo/1100-6462474/

• Love 3
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, was the whole first part of this season just, like, totally pointless?

This isn't the first season that's felt like it was filmed on the fly, with no appreciation early on of the limited number of available episodes. They could have had the dramatic witch entrance at the end of the first episode.

5 hours ago, Captanne said:

I thought they both looked fake, but the teacher's more so since it was pretty standard movie/tv "gore".

• Love 2

Well, there's also the fact that the teacher doesn't really exist because he's just an image in Misty's personal hell... I mean, just like no real frogs died, no teacher was actually eviscerated in making this show.

• Love 10

I admit I smiled with delight when I saw Lily Rabe in the opening credits because I instantly knew they were going to finally save Misty!  Her rescue from her personal hell was creepy and great.  The gratuitous encore by Stevie Nicks, mirroring her cameo in season 3, didn't make any more sense than it did in season 3, but hey, it's Stevie!  I guess it's just an established thing in the American Horror universe that if you have a witches coven, Stevie Nicks is going to drop in now and then to give a show.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 6

I cried when that tiger died (and I also thought the CGI was not bad at all), and I couldn't look at the frog in this episode. I mean, it's all fake--why judge who gets sad over what on TV? That said, this season of AHS is sort of meh to me so far--and yes, I felt like the Stevie Nicks song was 30 minutes long!

• Love 6

I’ve only watched the first half of the episode (last night), and the “gluten detector” part made me laugh. I was surprised that Coco wasn’t thrilled about that, but I guess she thought it wasn’t special enough, outside of Beverly Hills. 

Even though I knew the one man would be killed, that scene was actually spooky.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I admire that. 

Thanks to everyone saying this is a flashback.. So-with that it seems the main people survive?  Then what was the point of the beginning?  The Antichrist grows longer hair?

Ill sit back and watch and am still very much in but what?

I guess to show how we got to that point, and the witches come back on Halloween to fix it? Or try. 

10 hours ago, Superclam said:

With you on both counts. I never really cared for Stevie, although I guess I like the occasional Fleetwood Mac song. 

I refused to watch a tiger get torn apart. I don’t remember actually seeing children die by walker. 

And I’ve just deleted a lot of sentences, because I forgot where I was. 

25 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Jessie's son, Sam was absolutely ripped apart by walkers. But yeah, I shouldn't have brought up TWD on this thread. My bad. 

Oh, I forgot about him. After the other one shot Carl. Well, I didn't enjoy it, when it happened. I actually didn't like that people were happy to have him ripped apart. A lot of people seem to hate kids on shows, find them annoying, and hope for their death. 

I've just watched the rest of the episode. I didn't mind Stevie Nicks. I guess she was a part of Misty's "healing" and I think Michael got an inkling of something there, that they weren't just going to follow him. And murder house!! That first season wasn't perfect, but it was probably my favourite. I hope the man from AT&T, manages to fix my internet tomorrow. I want to watch the first season again, on netflix. 

I don't mind Madison, either, so I'm fine with her going to Murder House. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Anela said:

I've just watched the rest of the episode. I didn't mind Stevie Nicks. I guess she was a part of Misty's "healing" 

I actually kind of like Stevie Nicks on this show as a character, but that song went on WAY too long and was really awkward when they started touching each others faces towards the end. 

Definitely looking forward to next week. 

• Love 9

I love Pray Tell/Behold. I'm also glad his helping the witches came about because of his confrontation with Henry James. What happened with Henry James was telegraphed the minute they showed him stopping at a gas station in the middle of the night. I'm hoping that the AHS convention of deaths not being final holds up, since he was the only one of the warlocks who was skeptical from the beginning. And even his being burnt to a crisp isn't necessarily the end -- Balenciaga!!!!

Agree with the Stevie Nicks scene being wayyyy too long. BD Wong at the piano was too cartoony for me (although I agree its great to see him enjoying playing with Stevie Nicks!) -- didn't make sense given the antagonism that was supposed to exist between the genders. Other than that, I love Misty Day!!!

I'm also a fan on Behold being paired up with Madison. He'll keep her on point.

Good observation on the dead deer being brought back as a fawn! That's a variation of Misty Day's ability, isn't it?

Gluten detector--giggle snort!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, txhorns79 said:

How old is Coco supposed to be?  I love Leslie Grossman, but it's weird seeing a 40-something being dropped off at boarding school by her father as though she's a teenager.  

I did enjoy Stevie Nicks, even if I didn't know what the heck she has done to her hair.  The crimping was awful.     

I like Leslie Grossman too, but all the makeup in the world is not gonna make her look like a teenage girl. LOL!!!  So I totally agree with you. Before the death of Coco, she was so condescending to Mallory and treated her like she was her slave. But as witches, I think Mallory has the upper hand over Coco.  Mallory can make things come back to life.  I like that!!!

OT: Anyone watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix? It is so good. I have watched the 1st episode 3 times to make sure I didn't miss anything. Even the snot that is coming out of the little girl's nose when she is sitting in bed talking to her dad. Owning a 65 inch TV screen, it was pretty hard to miss! LOL!  Ready to move onto episode 2 today.  

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 10:50 AM, sashayshante said:

Cody Fern gives some fascinating and in depth interviews about Langdon's Arc and who he really is. He says there have been clues in the past few episodes about his true mission, one of which was the  comment about thinking he killed them all and asking for help.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/features/cody-fern-american-horror-story-apocalypse-interview-1202976609/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/american-horror-story-apocalypse-is-michael-langdo/1100-6462474/

I have to say Cody has really given thought to his character that does show through on screen. Those links are worth the read.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, KnoxForPres said:

Since this is essentially an anonymous site I will ask this because I know how stupid I’m going to sound. Yet I don’t want to google bc of spoiler potential etc and really don’t want to rewatch. I think because of my assumption I’d hate this season I didn’t pay  enough attention early on. In a timeline is what we’re watching today before or after the apocalypse?  Please forgive my ignorance and thank you if anyone answers.   No one in my real life watches or I’d ask. 

You’re not the only one. I was all indignant on my couch over how Stevie Nicks—and her crimping iron—survived the apocalypse somehow managed to show up on cue without being eaten by zombies (or whatever the radioactive canibal survivors are supposed to be). And then somehow Misty was eating French fries?! But, oh, French fries... that’s when I remembered this was in the past. In my defense, it took me the course of four days to get through this episode, so I forgot what was going on—damn mood lighting in the warlock school keeps putting me to sleep. But speaking of Cordelia’s vision of the future, it doesn’t dawn on her that promoting Michael to Supreme is what causes the Apocalypse rather than thinking it’s the future without him and that he’ll change the future?? I mean, I get it: TV show logic to keep the storyline going. Misty is perceptive enough to figure out Michael is evil, but the Supreme isn’t? Doesn’t seem to me that Cordelia “deserves” to be Supreme—Michael or not. Maybe the show will end with Misty as Supreme; I suppose they hinted Mallory is rising and we already had her “showing her powers” to Michael in the future storyline. Just as long as it’s not Cordelia. She doesn’t seem to do much anymore other than set up the destruction of earth and arrange musical guest stars—and act all holier than thou about it all. Shut up, Cordelia. You know something’s wrong with Cordelia as the “face of good” when I’m finding myself rooting for Satan spawn over her. Misty’s cool and Myrtle is fun. All of these other witches are bitches. I can be on board with the warlocks, though. Looking forward to Murder House. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I have to say Cody has really given thought to his character that does show through on screen. Those links are worth the read.

The amount of work he puts into creating his characters is why I like him so much. He did the same thing with David Madson for Versace. He makes choices and adds mannerisms to build a more fleshed out character. Given the years he's had Versace, AHS, House of Cards in November -  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets multiple Golden Globe nominations. The Hollywood Foreign Press LOVES newbies, and the fact he's Australian won't hurt.

Given everything Fern said, I could totally see the Apocalypse being caused not by him but by one of the Warlocks, and he's now trying to create a new world free of evil.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, Rap541 said:

I don't know if this was intentional but with the crack about testerone inhibiting magic... is it just me or do all the warlocks seem gay?

I'm wondering if that is going to come back into play later, as well.  

On 10/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, Lady Iris said:

I’m confused. Is Cordelia still Supreme? 

My theory is that she is still Supreme in that she is still the highest ranking witch but that she isn't as powerful as Michael and that her powers are fading while the new Supreme (whom I believe is a witch we know and not Michael) rises.  But since the new Supreme's powers are not yet fully developed, I think Cordelia knows Michael could defeat her (the new supreme) at this specific timeand has therefore let him think he is the true high power while NuSupreme's powers grow strong enough to take him out.  I hope that makes sense. 

There has to be a reason Queenie and Madison weren't with Cordelia when she, Zoey, and Myrtle showed up at the bunker. I wonder what that is.

• Love 1
On 10/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, TexasGal said:

No they didn't.  I was thinking they did as well and watched the episode on Netflix to compare.  Stevie Nicks sang Seven Wonders in what amounted to an extended music video as the girls got ready and then they did the tests with Cordelia explaining each beforehand.

"There has to be a reason Queenie and Madison weren't with Cordelia when she, Zoey, and Myrtle showed up at the bunker. I wonder what that is."

-sorry I couldn't figure out out to add this as a second quote

I may be wrong, but I believe Michael retrieved them after.  They arrive to see Michael, say no to him, he goes and gets Queenie and Madison and shows buck up as they are leaving.

Edited by angelusgirl
respond to another post

I think Blanche is referring to the episode where the witches appear for the first time and they bring Mallory, Coco and Dinah back to life. Madison was there with Cordelia and Myrtle. She did the whole "Bet you thought blah blah bitch" thing to Mallory. Zoe appeared with Cordelia and Myrtle in the flashback when they went to the boys school to meet with the warlocks. In the flashback, Madison and Queenie are dead until Michael gets them.

As I've already said, I think Cordelia, Madison and Myrtle are dead in the current bunker scenes. They managed to move through the fog filled with radiation and forest full of puss monsters with nary a scratch. What i'm really interested to see is who the hell Dinah is. She's far too old to be a student at Miss Ribicheaux's. I'm starting to wonder if Dinah is actually Chablis or BD Wong. That would explain how Michael and Dinah know each other. My gut says Dinah and her son are the warlocks in different bodies.

As for the other witches, I think Michael figures out what Cordelia is doing and gets rid of Queenie, Madison and Misty.  I'm still wondering how Mallory and Madison know each other since Madison was dead when Mallory was in Miss Robicheaux's.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

As I've already said, I think Cordelia, Madison and Myrtle are dead in the current bunker scenes. They managed to move through the fog filled with radiation and forest full of puss monsters with nary a scratch. What i'm really interested to see is who the hell Dinah is. She's far too old to be a student at Miss Ribicheaux's. I'm starting to wonder if Dinah is actually Chablis or BD Wong. That would explain how Michael and Dinah know each other. My gut says Dinah and her son are the warlocks in different bodies.

This is an interesting theory. 

2 hours ago, sashayshante said:

I'm still wondering how Mallory and Madison know each other since Madison was dead when Mallory was in Miss Robicheaux's.

There was a throwaway line to Cordelia from Mallory about how the new girls/old girls are settled after they arrived back at the school. It's when Mallory interrupts Cordelia and Myrtle talking about Cordelia fading. Also right before Coco's gluten scene.

Mallory and Madison will be around each other. They just haven't showed us yet. 

I remembered the line but watched the video again to see when it occurred in case it helps. 

Edited by Stuffy
15 hours ago, angelusgirl said:

No they didn't.  I was thinking they did as well and watched the episode on Netflix to compare.  Stevie Nicks sang Seven Wonders in what amounted to an extended music video as the girls got ready and then they did the tests with Cordelia explaining each beforehand.

The "silent movie" was not in the last episode where the Coven girls did the test.  It was the beginning of the second-to-the-last episode. I think it was basically done to explain what the seven wonders are.  Same music, same silent movie style.  It was very cool and we all squee'd when they brought it back for Michael's test in Apocalypse.

Now thinking maybe I know a little too much about this, lol.

Edited by RalyWilmy
Edited because I can't spell at 7:00 am.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, RalyWilmy said:

The "silent movie" was not in the last episode where the Coven girls did the test.  It was the beginning of the second-to-the-last episode. I think it was basically done to explain what the seven wonders are.  Same music, same silent movie style.  It was very cool and we all squee'd when they brought it back for Michael's test in Apocalypse.

Now thinking maybe I know a little too much about this, lol.

I remember that, I just thought OP meant they gave the test the same way.  I enjoyed the call back as well.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 8:11 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Cheyennes character being killed.....you could've seen that coming from a mile away.

As soon as he got out to fill up I thought, oh, That's not good. when the set of headlights appeared in the distance I said yep, you're dead, lol.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, nokat said:

I didn't want to say it. That was a painful few minutes. I love them both.

I thought she started off a little rough but it improved as she went along and finished fairly strong. Interestingly, it sounded to me as if it was recorded live on set instead of having them mime to it then adding the prerecorded audio in post. Unusual choice, if that was the case.