Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Foam, Party of One

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Caroline reminds me of Ellie Kemper.

if I close my eyes, Caroline's voice reminds me of ROCKY. This augurs very well for us students of the Reality Arts and Sciences.

21 hours ago, Irritable said:

i would love more footage to help give me a clearer idea of how big this Yacht is, and what it looks like all over. I don’t pick up much from quick flash shots, which makes watching previews for almost any show nearly useless to me. I need to see something for a good two seconds to really know what I saw.

THIS. I'm not the only one thinking this yacht, that Cpt Lee and Kate have been vociferously telling us is HUGE, looks kind of way smaller than previous yachts on this franchise? I get that we are definitely seeing more cramped crew conditions and this sways us, but if space in crew quarters and work areas have been sacrificed shouldn't this be translating to more spectacular square footage? I'm not seeing a helipad or another guest deck or a swimming pool or a disco, so I'm thinking this boat isn't in reality as big as we've been told. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Loving Ross. I wonder if he is Maori?

he's Polynesian for sure. he said he's from New Zealand, so he's most likely Maori, but he could be from Samoa (or any of the other islands) and family lives in NZ which is the biggest Western country in Polynesia. We've got a lot of Polynesians living in Australia, which is the next country over from NZ. 

• Love 4

Chandler’s irritation with Riley asking him questions is my biggest annoyance with him.   It’s as though, he’d prefer that she mess up.

He was also peterb that Captain Lee came down to deal with the life jacket issue and perceived that it undermined his authority.  Wasn’t it Chandler who let Steve go out without one in the first place?

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

Chandler’s irritation with Riley asking him questions is my biggest annoyance with him.   It’s as though, he’d prefer that she mess up.

Ding Ding Ding Ding. Then that proves that the "girl" is useless.

• Love 9

Steve acted a fool just to get more camera time, pure and simple.  I don't get that he's gay, I do think he acts like a child.

The fact that he gave such a shitty tip told me everything I need to know about that asshole.

• Love 11

Goodbye to Foam guy Steve and his tacky Party City shirts. He's a pathetic loser with cash that constantly needed to prove that he's a 'crazy mofo'. At the end of the day, he's being used by his friends who wanted a free vacation, and it spoke volumes that no one else wanted to join in his crazy antics. His complete lack of respect toward the Captain, crew, and the yacht was disgusting.  He was ugly and demanding when he didn't get his way.  If he was actually a nice guy instead of a drunken mess, he may not have sat alone, drunk, and blubbering for Kate in the Jacuzzi bubble bath.

I suffered second-hand embarrassment when Rhylee walked out in that see-thru dress. She might as well worn nothing. I don't care for her personality at all. She is most likely to get a ticket home. 

Ashton, and Joao could be brothers. They both have the blond spiky hair, muscular physique,  like to drink, and do not listen to orders by the Bosun.

For the most part, I don't mind Ross. He seems level headed, and sensible. 

Chandler could take it down a notch or two. He is trying too hard to get respect from the crew. 

I like Chef Zen. He should give a morning meditation and yoga class to the crew. Some of them need to chill out. 

Caroline. She needs some zen. She's a good worker, but she's got the cray-cray Rocky vibes. 

I've always liked Kate. I like her dry, sarcastic wit. Her general observations are spot-on and witty. 

Captain Lee is the kind of Captain I'd want on board. He's no nonsense. If the crew eff up, then they get his wrath, but he's not micro-managing them like they are little kids. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 12

What was Rhylee thinking with that dress? On their first night out? That’s a dress you pull out later, after she has established herself with the crew and the guys. Right now she is not really trusted and she’s seen as “different” (for lack of a better word).

Now’s the time to pitch in, learn the job, and establish her position as a team player. After she has the team’s respect and acceptance she might pull out that dress to be crazy or whatever. It would wake up the tired eyes she’s working with and remind them that she is a sexy woman (and she was dead sexy in that dress), but this early? She looked desperate, inappropriate, and embarrassing. Sexy too, but not in the way I think she intended. 

Remember Captain Lee’s rules? Don’t embarrass yourself and don’t embarrass the boat. She failed at least the first with that dress.

• Love 7

Can we rule out that Bravo is the one who pushed this 6 AM report for duty thing, to stir things up?

For that matter, schedule charters one day after another so that there's this time crunch and no time for R&R for the crew so there would be drama?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, scrb said:

First time they dock, Caroline checks her Tinder and finds a match on some port in Tahiti.

Tahiti must have a lot of mingling going on.

I thought that her match was on the boat next to theirs at port. Was she really looking to hook up or just see what is out there? Other than those crew hook ups (always produce trouble) she really can’t get away alone for any length of time. 

How do they always find those good places to eat and go drinking at? Does production set it up? I’d probably prefer to save some money and just throw together a sandwich than spend a tenth of my tip. I would go out occasionally tho just to get a scene change and go onshore. 

Also why weren’t they nearby a beach or area where they could do a beach picnic?  It seems like every charter requests one.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I thought that her match was on the boat next to theirs at port. Was she really looking to hook up or just see what is out there? Other than those crew hook ups (always produce trouble) she really can’t get away alone for any length of time. 

How do they always find those good places to eat and go drinking at? Does production set it up? I’d probably prefer to save some money and just throw together a sandwich than spend a tenth of my tip. I would go out occasionally tho just to get a scene change and go onshore. 

Also why weren’t they nearby a beach or area where they could do a beach picnic?  It seems like every charter requests one.  

First of all production would have to get permission from those places to film there.  Either those places allow them for the publicity or production may pay them.

I'm sure they're supplying the booze and the food too.  Pretty sure all cast members are required to go to these restaurants or clubs.  Kate seems too old to be hanging out with the young cast and it may not be her choice but she's probably required to go.

So if they require them, cast members would not be too happy if they had to spend their own money at these venues, just because they allowed Bravo to film them.  A younger crew member may want to save his or her money and might have been content just go grab a burger rather than go to these fancy restaurants and have pricey wine with their dinners.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, RunnyBabbit said:

I echo all the comments expressing concern/distaste for Chandler's lack of effective managerial skills, and would add that I detect more than a bit of misogyny from him as well.  First, I do not understand why a supervisor or boss would be upset with any employee that asks questions about how to do their job.  Granted, with editing we may have only seen a snippet of Rhylee's questions, but still.  Seemed quite reasonable to me.  Knowing that one of my employees is brand new to a charter yacht I would expect them to ask many questions and need extra explanations of basic duties.  Like a previous poster noted, she would be in more trouble if she didn't ask and then later got things wrong, so damned if she do, damned if she don't.  Second, he described her behavior on the shuttle back to the boat as she "lost it" when questioning his 6am call time.  This seems ridiculous as I don't think she even raised her voice (beyond the slightly-above normal volume that all inebriated people have after just exiting a loud club).  I think he is PERCEIVING her questioning his decision as a challenge to his authority, and I suspect this is in no small part due to her gender.  It just smacks of wanting the little lady to quit yapping and do as she's told, stop asking so many damn questions already.  It's early in the season so I'm willing to hold full judgment on Chandler, but so far I'm not impressed and am casting full side-eye toward him.

Exactly. From what we saw onscreen in the cab Rhylee's first statement (without raising her voice at all) was "You're going to piss everybody off on the deck at 6am." Chandler then says it's "for a valid fucking reason." Rhylee then responds (again, without raising her voice) "I get it, you're going to piss everybody else off for fucking Ashton's actions."

IMO, Rhylee's questions and tone weren't any that far out of line and she certainly wasn't being any more aggressive towards Chandler than we've seen with deckhands and boatswains in previous seasons. I think that Chandler was just already pissed off because Ashton wasn't listening to him and he completely overreacted to Rhylee. I think that Chandler might have started to see that he overreacted when Ross talked to him, but by that point (in his mind) he couldn't back down and look weak.  

Someone who has a better memory can correct me, but I don't think we've ever seen the boatswain or the chief stew try to call a curfew for the junior crew while everyone's out before (I do remember Captain Lee giving group curfews and boatswains telling drunk/belligerent people to go to bed once they're already back on the boat). Ashton was being a typical drunk asshole, but he wasn't aggressive, rude, or being a danger to himself/others. If the rest of the team was dying to go home, I really don't understand why they didn't just leave Ashton behind with a PA and deal with discipline in the morning. Chandler might want to come off like a 'cool' boatswain, but he has control issues written all over him. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

He was also peterb that Captain Lee came down to deal with the life jacket issue and perceived that it undermined his authority.  Wasn’t it Chandler who let Steve go out without one in the first place?

Yup. Ross immediately said something about Steve needing a life jacket and Chandler was all shrugged shoulders - "He won't wear one." 

I echo all the other sentiments that ROSS should be Bosun. 

• Love 7

Backing up a bit -- I don't blame Rhylee for the spelling of her name.  Could be her parents' decision.  Guilty as charged (for our son -- not the same name, but trying to include family names!)  ?

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 3

There's 3 other crew who we don't see. 1st officer, engineer and 1st mate I think.

If you look at the link someone posted earlier, this boat is large enough to have a touch and go helipad, which they've never had on a boat they've worked before. There's 2 sides to the master bathroom, it looks bigger than the bottom floor of my home :). Each stateroom  ( besides the master) has 2 queen size beds, and the smallest one has a king bed. So that leaves little space for the crew areas. I would be so claustrophobic  working in that kitchen area and talking to the chef through a cabinet.

Edited by sadtvjunkie
Added more info
  • Love 2

Exactly. From what we saw onscreen in the cab Rhylee's first statement (without raising her voice at all) was "You're going to piss everybody off on the deck at 6am." Chandler then says it's "for a valid fucking reason." Rhylee then responds (again, without raising her voice) "I get it, you're going to piss everybody else off for fucking Ashton's actions."

IMO, Rhylee's questions and tone weren't any that far out of line and she certainly wasn't being any more aggressive towards Chandler than we've seen with deckhands and boatswains in previous seasons. I think that Chandler was just already pissed off because Ashton wasn't listening to him and he completely overreacted to Rhylee. I think that Chandler might have started to see that he overreacted when Ross talked to him, but by that point (in his mind) he couldn't back down and look weak.  

I agree. and unfortunately think it's because Rhylee is a woman who dared questioned his decisions.  Ross said something nearly identical and he was not nearly as offended. Chandler telling people that Rhylee flipped out on him in the cab is completely false.

Edited by snarts
spelling, it's early
  • Love 16
On 10/9/2018 at 10:59 PM, Caseysgirl said:

I’m hoping that Steve jumps off a boat and breaks his back! What a total ass. He must have a lot of money for people to put up with him

Were those ads for his business(es) on his hat and robes?  Good grief, who would patronize something that man promoted?

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Were those ads for his business(es) on his hat and robes?  Good grief, who would patronize something that man promoted?

you mean "Foam Man" that was embroidered? I first thought that the show had created the robes for him (assuming that guests get nice robes in their cabins, and they decided to play up his previous visit), then saw he had it on all sorts of personal clothing. I guess he thought it was hilarious.

• Love 2

Having watched (too) many episodes of both this show and BD-Mediterranean, I have to agree with Capt Lee that Steve's brand of rich-boy obnoxiousness is mostly well-intentioned, if not poorly executed.  He comes across as immature and entitled, and is quite a handful for sure, but sort of in the way of an overactive toddler hyped-up on a sugar overload in Disneyland.  Not nearly the mean-spirited over-the-top behavior other, more horrid charter guests have displayed.  I suppose that's why I find myself rolling my eyes and sighing at his antics, but not loathing him.  Plus, it's sweet to see Capt Lee have a soft spot for Steve and find some level of amusement in his refusal to grow-up -- a bit unexpected and I enjoy that peek into parts of Lee's personality.

• Love 9
On 10/12/2018 at 9:06 AM, morgan459 said:

(I do remember Captain Lee giving group curfews and boatswains telling drunk/belligerent people to go to bed once they're already back on the boat)

Captain Lee definitely put someone on 'anchor watch' for idiocy and they missed a night out? (pretty sure it was Kelly)  And he confiscated Danny's phone for inappropriate mingling and sent him home. But I also don't ever recall a bosun messing with an underlling's night off or laying down any punishment specific to one person. And Chandler pulls this shit on Charter 1. It had the opposite intended effect: instead of him looking strong and garnering respect from his crew, he's alienated the entire boat and looks like a petty despot. Take an internet course in human resources, Chandler when you get your ticket home. Also, take an advanced internet course in 'fixing my overt hatred for women at least in the workplace'. That'd be good too. And you got crazy eyes for a reason.

Edited by queenjen
remembering Kelly
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, terrymct said:

I don't think we need to see Steve for the 3rd time on Below Deck. He's a fame whore. Those robes he had were not only embroidered with his business name "Mexican Mansions, Acapulco" but also 'Foam Man' and underneath that, on the back of his robe 'Tahitian Yachting Adventure'. Not only this, he made some of his guest wear them too. And he had caps. And most of all, none of the guests he brought wanted anything to do with him. There was one guy Steve was blithering to after the jetski and before breakfast who just tuned him out. There was no partying late. No one at the foam party. So I guess these friends are going to be fired. Also, if your friend/boss takes you on a trip like this, couldn't you just put yourself out a little bit and pretend to enjoy his company? I don't know what was going on here, whether they were friends or just his 21 year old fiancee and a bunch of his employees, because when they disembarked, they appeared to be wearing uniforms? 

Edited to add: they were indeed wearing white shorts and aqua collared shirts when they disembarked. Over the right breast was 'MV Seanna' and Steve had 'Foam Man' again on the back of his cap. The backs of the shirts were his Mexican Mansions Acapulco script and probably 'Tahitian Adventure'. At least 2 of the other guests were wearing them also. He referred to one of the women the night before as 'Cuz' and she wasn't in a uniform, so perhaps she is his sober living coach.

Tahiti is definitely not the Caribbean. I thought about this when I was trying to work out why they all had to stay until Ashton had decided to finish his night. I think that they were a long way from the bar/restaurant precinct they went to. I think it may have been like a 20 minute ride at least through palm trees until civilisation. It's not like they dock just below an historic European city like they do in BDMed or the islands in the Caribbean that cater to these yachts. 

Edited by queenjen
deeper research completed
  • Love 5

I'm going to differ with a few of you about Rhylee. She lost me when she flat out lied about what Chandler said to her. I thought he was rather calm about telling her to leave his room, he didn't swear at her. Ross of course was the one handling the situation.  Between that nipple revealing dress, and her lying, I say nope. Kate and Josiah, we know she likes her bitchy cliques. I think Captain Lee is enjoying Adrian's food, he was at the table way more often than usual.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 3:27 AM, dleighg said:

the

IF Rhylee is useless, which remains to be seen though Thebes harbingers of editing seem to be telegraphing this hard, The it is not because she is female, but rather because she is a snotty ass who has an attitude problem and is closed to learning because SHEISACAPTAININALASKADAMMIT and she knows everything already because again, SHE IS A CAPTAIN (of a fishing boat) IN ALASKA. I loathe her already and we’re only two in. 

ETA: I know t( editing monkeys are trying to do a switch and bait on it being Rhylee or Caroline who is kicked off the boat...do we have a betting pool going on this yet....or could it actually be Chandler instead???

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, queenjen said:

And he confiscated Danny's phone for inappropriate mingling and sent him home.

Nope. That was Captain Mark and aspiring rapey douchelord Bryan on  Below Deck: Med.

But I also don't ever recall a bosun messing with an underlling's night off or laying down any punishment specific to one person.

Eddie did with Dane while they were staying at that resort on their day off, which was season 3 of Below Deck.

Captain Lee definitely put someone on 'anchor watch' for idiocy and they missed a night out? (pretty sure it was Kelly)  

I'm not positive, but he may have ordered it for Chris Brown and Dane. However, Sandy put Bobby on passarelle watch when he was busy making out the primary's yacht girl. Then the girl said she wasn't going out. At which point, the primary changed his mind and made Bobby join them. I think Mark might have ordered Danny to be on "anchor watch" at Port.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2018 at 2:16 AM, gingerella said:

I know t( editing monkeys are trying to do a switch and bait on it being Rhylee or Caroline who is kicked off the boat...do we have a betting pool going on this yet....or could it actually be Chandler instead???

I wondered this also because of  the much played clip of Kate and Josiah standing outside knocking, while Kate says something like 'you need to be off the boat in an hour' it looked to me like Chandler's room, just off the staff kitchen, where he's erupted from to tell everyone to keep it down. Wouldn't it be funny if it was Adrian?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, queenjen said:

I wondered this also because of  the much played clip of Kate and Josiah standing outside knocking, while Kate says something like 'you need to be off the boat in an hour' it looked to me like Chandler's room, just off the staff kitchen, where he's erupted from to tell everyone to keep it down. Wouldn't it be funny if it was Adrian?

It is Adrian next to her, not Josiah. I don’t know who is getting fired but I would love for it to be either Rhylee, Caroline, and Chandler. Can we have three firings?  Please???

• Love 1
4 hours ago, queenjen said:

Weren't Kate and Chandler roommates?    If I'm remembering the first episode correctly, she chose a room for them at the end of a hallway, saying it was small but "above" the others.    The door Kate was knocking on was on the side not the end of the hallway.   Of course I could be imagining all of this ?

Edited by AnnA

Josiah is Kate's roommate. 

I'm sticking with Rhylee to get booted off the boat.

Jamie from Med is dating Chandler and she's still rah rah about the franchise. I think she'd be raw if he was booted.

Caroline is competent and efficient at her job.  As long as she delivers and the cray is kept at bay, I think she stays.

Rhylee is argumentative and stuck with people who snicker at her honestly trying to get trained.  And in previews, it appears she ticks off Kate.

She'll be fine.  She's a boat captain in Alaska! 

Edited by dosodog
  • Love 7
On 10/13/2018 at 2:22 AM, queenjen said:

Also, take an advanced internet course in 'fixing my overt hatred for women at least in the workplace'. 

I don't know, I'm leaning more towards he hates Rhylee because she's a blowhard asshole rather than because she's a woman.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I don't know, I'm leaning more towards he hates Rhylee because she's a blowhard asshole rather than because she's a woman.

I think it might be a bit of both. It's a bit early, for me, to make a judgement call on Chandler. I definitely think Rhylee has been rubbing people wrong from the jump, with her constant professing to be a "captain" and the intentional wearing of the see-through dress. But it's also possible that Chandler would deal differently with the male deck hands than he did with her. I need to see more of the overall interactions before I decide; but I basically thought they were both out of lines, in different ways. 

• Love 5

When she was asking all the questions, there were two guys snickering and making fun of her. Was one of those Chandler (her boss)? If so, that's totally inappropriate. In any case, I think it falls into the "guys bonding" that is very obnoxious.

• Love 3

I'll watch and see and maybe change my mind.  I may be alone in this, but I'm not ready to label someone as a "woman hater", misogynist, or even potential rapist or serial killer waiting to happen after seeing like 15 - 20 minutes total of them on a heavily edited TV show where they did a shitty thing where the other person involved happened to be a woman.

• Love 3

^Fair enough, but if it was Chandler, there's no excuse for yuking it up about another subordinate, with a subordinate, in any circumstance whatsoever (and stupid to do it with cameras running.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I'll watch and see and maybe change my mind.  I may be alone in this, but I'm not ready to label someone as a "woman hater", misogynist, or even potential rapist or serial killer waiting to happen after seeing like 15 - 20 minutes total of them on a heavily edited TV show where they did a shitty thing where the other person involved happened to be a woman.

You're not alone.

• Love 2

I don’t understand some people’s awful taste in clothing.  Rhylee’s dress would be great as a beach cover up or nightgown.  Good grief, can’t believe she wore that out in public.  

Thus season will be better than season 5.  Love love this series.  And Below Deck Med also.  

• Love 3

Next episode (but in no way a spoiler) she was still wearing that "dress" while getting ready for bed-- brushing her teeth-- and I realized that was STILL the dress she wore OUTSIDE in public. I wouldn't wear that as a nightgown around my own house!

• Love 1
On 11/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, queenjen said:

[Snip for space....]

Onto who WILL be bosun in the next couple of episodes, ROSS. OMG. Ross represents the best in Kiwi men. He's got that great 'feminine energy' that men in Australia, where i come from, just don't have.

They must all be in my neck of the Australian woods!

Ross has a much better demeanour for managing people than Chandler who just needs to stamp his foot when he’s demanding respect, instead of earning it.

• Love 5
On 10/9/2018 at 7:59 PM, Caseysgirl said:

I’m hoping that Steve jumps off a boat and breaks his back! What a total ass. He must have a lot of money for people to put up with him

It bothers me when I see people like him with so much wealth, yet not a drop of common sense, tact, or class. When he's sober, he appears quiet and sensitive, but he is rarely sober. Such a bad drunk.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, RunnyBabbit said:

Second, he described her behavior on the shuttle back to the boat as she "lost it" when questioning his 6am call time.  This seems ridiculous as I don't think she even raised her voice (beyond the slightly-above normal volume that all inebriated people have after just exiting a loud club).  I think he is PERCEIVING her questioning his decision as a challenge to his authority, and I suspect this is in no small part due to her gender.  It just smacks of wanting the little lady to quit yapping and do as she's told, stop asking so many damn questions already.  It's early in the season so I'm willing to hold full judgment on Chandler, but so far I'm not impressed and am casting full side-eye toward him.

It's completely misogynistic. Like we see in so many areas - if a man behaves this way, he is confident and assertive. If a woman responds the exact same way, she's bitchy and hysterical. Same responses, just different gender. In 2018, Chandler shouldn't even be considering male/female, only whether the person is a good deck hand who understands what to do. Would it kill him to write up a schedule or assign specific duties? And when he PURPOSELY denied Rhylee the fishing excursion, I was thinking, nope - that was an intentional asshole move. He regards every question as a challenge, yet Ross could ask the same and he would answer without anger. The only time Rhylee was really out of line is when the guests asked her if they could swim/scuba and she should have asked Ross, NOT gone ahead and told them no. That's the only reason I feel Ross said they could swim for 15 minutes, as he knew they shouldn't, but he was mad she made the decision to say no.

• Love 1