Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Aʻohe mea ʻimi a ka maka (Nothing More the Eyes to Search for)

• Start Topic

Interesting mix between the past and the present.  The actor who played young Jerry was well cast.  He had Jerry's mannerisms down pretty well.  I noticed a couple of character names that stood out (I'm assuming they were chosen on purpose).  Wasn't one of Jerry's friends named Gordie?  (like Gordie from 'Stand by me'?).  Also, the recluse guy was Bo Bradley (like To Kill a Mockingbird's 'Boo Radley'?).  

The little girl (Molly?) seemed to recover pretty quickly.  I would think she would need therapy for many years to come.

I didn't realize that Scott Caan wasn't even in the episode until I saw the scenes for next week's show and saw him there.  (He wasn't in this one, was he?)

• Love 2

Caan wasn't in this one - I noticed around halfway in. I know it was the Halloween episode which pretty much requires a serial killer - but man, Hawaii seems to be infected with those creeps. I did enjoy Jerry's plot and it was nice to see Noelani out of her lab-coat. Was there some light double entendre when Jerry was confused by 'headlights'? I guess I could ship those two.

And yep, Molly's a case for some major therapy. It was nice of Grover to tell Tani that she was the reason Molly still had a chance at a normal life but I'd say it's a slim chance. But of course they wanted to keep it as light-weight as possible.

Funnily enough the creepiest visual in this episode was not the ax wielding stranger but the parents suddenly seeing a strange face on their babycam monitor - talk about nightmare fodder. 

• Love 2

I thought Jerry & Eric’s storyline more compelling, fun and in the Halloween spirit. And yes, @BooksRule, the young actor playing Jerry did well getting Jorge’s mannerisms.

So is Adam being framed, or did he really murder Noriko?  And now the officer who tested the weapon is obligated to report it.  But wouldn’t Adam know it was missing?  Where has he been?  I’m really not looking forward to another Adam in peril story.

Edited by roamyn
47 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’m really not looking forward to another Adam in peril story.

Well, it looks as if you're going to get it.

I do hope it wraps up quickly and doesn't run for the remainder of the season leaving us with another cliffhanger.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, roamyn said:

I thought Jerry & Eric’s storyline more compelling, fun and in the Halloween spirit. And yes, @BooksRule, the young actor playing Jerry did well getting Jorge’s mannerisms.

So is Adam being framed, or did he really murder Noriko?  And now the officer who tested the weapon is obligated to report it.  But wouldn’t Adam know it was missing?  Where has he been?  I’m really not looking forward to another Adam in peril story.

I just don't that Adam is dumb enough to leave a murder weapon in his house. Clearly he is being framed.

• Love 2

Oh yeah.  Molly popping up on the baby monitor is the stuff of nightmares.  Seriously creepy.

I really loved the Jerry and the campers Halloween plot.  That was really fun, and kind of a departure from the norm.  Well done, show!  The young actor playing the young Jerry was absolutely spot-on.  I wonder how much footage of Jorge as Jerry the kid watched to get it down so perfectly.  The child actors for Jerry's adult friends were also well cast, appearance-wise, but since they weren't playing the young selves of existing characters, they didn't have quite as heavy an acting load to carry.  The actress playing Jerry's female adult friend reminds me of someone I just can't put my finger on. 

I also really like Eric, now that he's calmed down from his manic prior self.  The chemistry between him and Jerry, and him and Noelani is really nice.  I cracked up when Eric immediately teamed up with Noelani to form a mini CSI: Derelict Youth Camp.  I miss Max, but Noelani is a good character.  She's a rebel, that one, up for anything!  (As we can see not only from this show, but also from her cameos on Magnum, PI.)

• Love 1

Fun ep, though I agree that the Adam storyline is meh.

The eps without Danny seem to fly by for me. I think it's cause the show doesn't have to slow down story momentum so that Steve and Danny can needlessly bicker about something while others look on & smirk. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, ganesh said:

Is Magnum in the show universe?

It looks that way. Noelani is the medical examiner on both shows. Magnum comes into her office with food bribes to get confidential information on autopsies, so she's more or less taken the place of Mac from the old Magnum show, who was in Naval Intelligence and whom Tom Selleck would bribe for info with donuts.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ganesh said:

Apparently—or at least vice versa. There’s been at least 1 reference by that show’s resident HPD cop character (the actor’s name is Tim Kang; his character is a Lieutenant, but I forget the last name) in most episodes, if not all, so far (I haven’t seen last night’s/this week’s yet) to Magnum letting HPD & Five-0 handle the case & Magnum staying out of it. The character of Medical Examiner Dr. Noelani Cunha has been in 2 or 3 of the 5 eps that have aired through last night. I think the character of Kamekona has been in 1 ep.

Seeing as the shows share the same Creator, Showrunner & network, not to mention setting/location, it makes sense to me that characters from H50 & Magnum can be in each of those shows without taking the audience/viewer out of the story. Even though their show’s premise involves traveling around the world, & I did enjoy seeing the H50 characters on it (I love seeing them anywhere), I’m not sure the episode where MacGyver worked with Chin, Kono, & Kamekona (or vice versa) after an earthquake in Hawaii worked as well with me, even though it has the same Showrunner as the Hawaii-based shows (by the way, if you haven’t heard by now, Magnum got picked up for the full season),

On 2018-10-29 at 10:27 AM, ganesh said:

For connected universes, we have Magnum PI, MacGyver and NCIS: LA. I assume if the NCIS shows are related then the main NCIS show is second cousins to H50 as well. At some point the inter-connectedness will break down (and may indeed have done so already) but like Marvel's Cinematic Universe it's all (meant to be) connected.

I feel like 5-0 has run its course.  It was never the same for me after Chin and Kono left the "island" anyway.  The remaining actors seem to sleep-walk through their parts and the newer actors do not inspire me at all.  I loved it the first couple of seasons, but I guess I'm just a fickle fan. 

• Love 4

No, I think they maybe just need some fresh faces in the writers' room. The show isn't really a finite concept because there's always going to be crime, and with a large cast, there's a lot they can do. I feel like they're too constrained with the plots. It's always been a ridiculous show, so that doesn't bother me. But the restaurant has been an albatross and the bickering needs to be put to rest. 

Adam is just kind of like Krycek. There whatever they need him for. He can go live with Kono and leave. 

The cold case Jerry solved was decent. I was engaged at least. I'd like to see Danny actually allowed to be a real detective for a chance, and I'd like to see 5-0 knocked down a peg or two once and a while. 

• Love 2
On 10/29/2018 at 9:44 AM, HurricaneVal said:

The actress playing Jerry's female adult friend reminds me of someone I just can't put my finger on. 

Mary Lynn Rajskub, who played Chloe O'Brien in 24

So I'm way behind watching this, as the new episode comes on in about 10 minutes, but I just wanted to post how impressed I was with the Noelani actress in this episode. I've never thought she was that great (hiding) but I LOVED her opening scene with Jerry  - super cute - and she was terrific in the rest as well. Just shows what a little-used character can do if given more meat than simply medical exposition! 

I'm not a horror movie person but this was fun. (Even if halfway through I was still like, what happened to the fourth kid?) I've enjoyed all the 5-0 Halloween eps, especially the Danny apartment-ghost ep (which I've obviously never forgotten!), with the exception of that ep when Kono and Adam got tied up in a shed by some nut cases.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:20 AM, fishcakes said:

It looks that way. Noelani is the medical examiner on both shows. Magnum comes into her office with food bribes to get confidential information on autopsies, so she's more or less taken the place of Mac from the old Magnum show, who was in Naval Intelligence and whom Tom Selleck would bribe for info with donuts.

With the younger sex swapped Higgins seemingly taking the place of the original Magnum;s contacts from  US Naval Intelligence  Mac and Maggie,. Juliet is using her old MI6 connections. The second Mac was more along the lines of Kamekona than an official contact like Dr Cunha. Beyond Noelani's three appearances in the first six episodes, Kamekona was in the pilot

On 10/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Apparently—or at least vice versa. There’s been at least 1 reference by that show’s resident HPD cop character (the actor’s name is Tim Kang; his character is a Lieutenant, but I forget the last name) in most episodes, if not all, so far (I haven’t seen last night’s/this week’s yet) to Magnum letting HPD & Five-0 handle the case & Magnum staying out of it. The character of Medical Examiner Dr. Noelani Cunha has been in 2 or 3 of the 5 eps that have aired through last night. I think the character of Kamekona has been in 1 ep.

Seeing as the shows share the same Creator, Showrunner & network, not to mention setting/location, it makes sense to me that characters from H50 & Magnum can be in each of those shows without taking the audience/viewer out of the story. Even though their show’s premise involves traveling around the world, & I did enjoy seeing the H50 characters on it (I love seeing them anywhere), I’m not sure the episode where MacGyver worked with Chin, Kono, & Kamekona (or vice versa) after an earthquake in Hawaii worked as well with me, even though it has the same Showrunner as the Hawaii-based shows (by the way, if you haven’t heard by now, Magnum got picked up for the full season),

The first detective LT from the Magnum pilot name was switched to the legacy character LT Tanaka after  the teaser trailer's release in time for the pilot episode as  TC was switched from a Staff Sergeant aviator (which hasn't happened since early in WWII) to the more appropriately ranked Major. It seems that the cop role was recast and Time Kang became the Detective Gordon Katsumoto, which was the original name used in the teaser.

• Love 1

I don't like Jerry, so having him at the center of two episodes was blargh.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:06 PM, LillyB said:

I just don't that Adam is dumb enough to leave a murder weapon in his house. Clearly he is being framed.

Have you met Adam?????

On 10/31/2018 at 12:44 PM, Evagirl said:

It was never the same for me after Chin and Kono left the "island" anyway.  The remaining actors seem to sleep-walk through their parts and the newer actors do not inspire me at all.

Beulah Koale isn't quite up with

Daniel Dae Kim, but he's fun to watch.  Meaghan Rath is 10 times hotter than Grace Park and 10 times the actress.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, BooksRule said:

I noticed a couple of character names that stood out (I'm assuming they were chosen on purpose).  Wasn't one of Jerry's friends named Gordie?  (like Gordie from 'Stand by me'?).  Also, the recluse guy was Bo Bradley (like To Kill a Mockingbird's 'Boo Radley'?).  

Also “Crystal,” like Camp Crystal Lake, from the Friday the 13th franchise?  The third friend was named Ano, which...I got nothin’.  Except it means “anus” in Spanish, which is why the tilde in Felix Año Nuevo is important, otherwise you’re wishing someone a Happy New Asshole, LOL!

• Love 1