Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/8/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, fatewemake said:

No, I'm sure it was Sunny.  

I waited patiently to hear what Meghan would have to say about Joy, but then Sunny burst in and didn't let MMM finish reading her card, so we don't know what she would have said about Joy.  Sunny did a lot of interrupting today and the over-talking is what makes people turn off the show.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

I think Meghan's not ready to be back, but I also think she never would have been ready on day one, so her re-entry today was easy on me. She didn't really add anything after her segment, which was well done, I thought. 

1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

Jamie Lee Curtis is so skillful - she effortlessly interwove her movie promotion with political and socially relevant content, lol.

Meghan did well today. She got involved in the conversations but was on her best behaviour. It's not for me to say how or how long someone should mourn and I know she's gotta a job to do but as a viewer, I appreciate that she tried her best to keep a smile on her face, especially after learning that it was her brother that prodded her to get back to work.

In fairness, there was nothing smug or gloating about Abby either when discussing the Kavanaugh confirmation. 

30 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

It was actually her dad who wanted her to return.

Today, Meghan did say her dad wanted her to be back, but last week, there was reporting (we discussed in the MM thread) that her brother urged her to go back.

No need to "actually" it. One doesn't negate the other.

I like Jamie Lee Curtis a lot, but I think she's often a hot mess in the talk show environment and today was no exception. Even she knew she lost the plot of what she was trying to say. Then Whoopi tried to smooth it over, which just made it worse in my opinion.

That said, I enjoyed her hot mess segment. 

Does anyone remember when she was on The Chew -- probably three years ago or so? I've been unable to find any surviving video. I'm pretty sure Clinton Kelly isn't over it. She sabotaged their cooking segment.

He had to remake the recipe the next day, because that's how far afield it went (warning you can see Batali in the vid)

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, General Days said:

Today, Meghan did say her dad wanted her to be back, but last week, there was reporting (we discussed in the MM thread) that her brother urged her to go back.

No need to "actually" it. One doesn't negate the other.

I know but I was talking about what she said today.

And I don't recall seeing that about her brother in the thread but maybe I overlooked it.

Edited to add that I liked the post about her brother. I completely forgot that we discussed it while watching today.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I appreciate that she tried her best to keep a smile on her face, especially after learning that it was her brother that prodded her to get back to work.

I have always thought that she didn't get along with her brothers or one of them anyway.  I am not sure where this came from.  That showed up (to me) during the funeral  footage.  They seemed annoyed with her show of emotion and did nothing to soothe her; one of them didn't clap for her eulogy.  I am not surprised to hear one of them pushed her to get on with her life.  My hunch is he had had enough of her all consuming grief.  Her mother even got on her about celebrating his life instead of being sad he is gone.  

I haven't watched yet.   I ADORE Yvette!  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

This is cold hearted, I'm sure, but I thought she would never shut up.  All I could think was, "She's baaaaaack".  Every time I left the room, came back, she was still yakkiing.  At one point I had to clean up cat puke from the hall carpet, and even that was preferable to listening to her.   I'm sure she'll try to dominate the rest of the show, too.  She will take full advantage of whatever good will she's basking in from her bereavement leave.  There.  I said it.

Judging from the puke I would guess that your cat is a loyal viewer of the show.

Edited by fatewemake
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

On a separate note Yvette Nicole Brown is giving me life! Preach, girl!

And poor Abby wants her safe space bc Taylor Swift expressed her political opinion. Entertainers have made political statements for quite some time. Does Muhammad Ali ring a bell? This girl needs to crack open a history book.

Abby's tribe has always believed that Taylor was a member of their tribe. She could very well be a member, but, has decided to vote differently this time. People are allowed to vote, who best represents their values. Taylor's Instagram post said it all.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, Tunia said:

Somehow I knew the widow daughter McCain would still be shrouded in black.  We get it, Meh-gun, you're in mourning.  Really...we get it.  But since you're on TV, it might be time to buckle up, Buttercup, and drop the Debbie Downer look.  Could you at least try a respectful navy blue?

Does she think it’s the 18th or 19th century, where one has to be in mourning for a year??

3 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Could be.  Yvette certainly did come prepared with pretty powerful words to share.  That whole bit about how MM has her father in her and how it is now her job to assume the role and take the baton and become Thy Great One to save America from itself.  To unify the country and start the healing or bring the two sides together or something like that.  I will bite my tongue.

I hate to say this, but, SHUT UP, Yvette. 

3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Oh for fucks sake.  Meghan does not have the ability to do any of that.  She would have to be willing to listen to the other side and make compromises which she has shown she will not do.

You said it better.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 10

Oh good god, Meghan is nothing like her father and not equipped to do much in the political arena.  John was a reasonable republican but not a saint.  Calm down and breathe through your nose, Yvette and Jamie, jesus. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 19

Free from jury duty!

Yay, I guess, that Meghan's dad raised her to be so "strong" and "tough". That he would have also instilled discernment and good listening skills. Her "join me!" soapbox speechifying got on my nerves. 

Buttering up of Meghan aside, I thought YNB had some good things to say about civic engagement. But, seriously, it's not like Taylor Swift sings about political issues. Abby can still enjoy her music as a mindless respite. 

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Buttering up of Meghan aside, I thought YNB had some good things to say about civic engagement. But, seriously, it's not like Taylor Swift sings about political issues. Abby can still enjoy her music as a mindless respite. 

I have no problem with celebs having poltical beliefs that differ than mine.   It's when they are obnoxious or bat shit crazy about them that I put them on my do not watch list.   Patricia Heaton comes to mind.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, geekburger said:

Just a theory BUT it sounded during MMs thank yous that she specifically asked for Yvette to be here the week of her return, maybe as emotional support? It would also make sense that Joy would suddenly take a vacation just a month into the new season....there’s not room for 6 panelists. 

It also wouldn’t be too far fetched that part of MM signing onto this season, she wanted Abby in the vacant seat as a condition to return.

I just hope that Meghan didn’t request that Joy be off during her return. 

• Love 3

Just based on reading everyone’s comments about Abby’s reaction to Taylor Swift’s Instagram post: someone needs to sit her ASS down and make her watch CNN Films The Sixties and The Seventies so she can be shown that musical artists and actors have always been very vocal in politics. The Byrds: “Turn, Turn, Turn”, “The Answer is Blowing in the Wind”, and a slew of others. Oh wait. They were ...???

• Love 14

Meghan McCain strikes me as wanting to follow in her father's footsteps.  She has an idalized vision of what her father was, and she wants to live up to that image.  She comes from an accomplished and respected lineage and her father endured horrors that would break most people when he was a POW, but he survived and did great things both personally and professionally in his life.  Doubtless, Meghan grew up hearing about that, and any flaws her father had was easily ignored or excused.  John McCain was her daddy and she loved him, just like any little girl would do.

Meghan wants to be like her father.  I'm not saying she wants to be a military hero or a POW.  She wasn't around during that time.  Meghan remembers her father best as a Senator.  He was a staunch Republican and he represented his constituants and his party for many years.  Meghan grew up surrounded by politicians that she knew on a first name basis.  Eventually she had to realize that she was watching some of the people that were an integral part of governing the greatest country in the world.  (Whether or not any of us agree with that statement, I'm sure that Meghan thought it to be true.)

Meghan seems to me to be fairly timid at heart, so I can only imagine what it would be like to grow up with John McCain as a father.  She loved him and wanted to be like him.  He encouraged her, and her connection to him easily opened doors to her that most likely would have remained closed otherwise.

What we see of The View is a little girl in a woman's body who is desperately trying to be the next great McCain in a long line of great McCains.  The problem is, she's really not cut out for it.  She's easily flustered, defensive, and despite her best efforts she's unprepared for the slightest hiccup in her daily life.  She's keenly aware that despite her advantages, this is not something she is good at, no matter how much help and encouragement she recieved from her father.

I think it would have been better if Senator McCain backed off and let Meghans daddy tell her "Honey, I love you and I'm proud of you, but I think that at this point in your life, your star will shine brighter in another venue."  There are so many other things for her to explore, I wish she'd back off the political stuff and go explore them.

• Love 19

I guess I was the only one yelling at Megan thru the teevee, "Dont forget about Joy! " And then she made Joy an afterthought. It seemed deliberate to me.  But then she thought Whoopie was at the funeral so maybe I should cut her some slack. She seemed not to know what to say about Joy and that's why Sunny stepped in to rescue her. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Wings said:

I have always thought that she didn't get along with her brothers or one of them anyway.  I am not sure where this came from.  That showed up (to me) during the funeral  footage.  They seemed annoyed with her show of emotion and did nothing to soothe her; one of them didn't clap for her eulogy.  I am not surprised to hear one of them pushed her to get on with her life.  My hunch is he had had enough of her all consuming grief.  Her mother even got on her about celebrating his life instead of being sad he is gone.  

I haven't watched yet.   I ADORE Yvette!  

When Meghan talks about spending time with her family, her stories are almost exclusively about her father. It's possible that she may not have the closest of relationships with her siblings but not necessarily that they don't get along. If any of her siblings have more of their mother's temperament rather than their father's, I can see how they would clash with one another when debating certain topics but like many families, you love each other but doesn't necessarily mean you always like each other. I didn't see enough to notice if any of them seemed annoyed but I didn't find it odd that none of them were soothing her because they were all busy trying to maintain their own composure. Meghan had her husband there and frankly, I think that's more of his responsibility than her grieving mother and siblings. The only sibling that I saw receive genuine support from another family member was Briget and her sister-in-law who in many times was seen holding her hand or had her arm draped around her - which makes sense - Bridget is the youngest and she was also the only sibling there that didn't have a partner who was by her side to console her so her sister-in-law did so and I thought it was quite sweet. Hopefully their family doesn't drift apart after his passing. And I hope her mother is finding plenty of support from the children who are still close by. 

• Love 8

Ouch.

It's only been a month and the grief never goes away.  I can't fault her for crying but now it's time to move on on the show.  I hope not every guest who comes on starts in with how much they admired her dad or how brave she is.  It will be like ripping the scab off over and over.  In time she'll be able to just say "thank you" without getting so emotional, but again, only a month.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

I got a vibe off of MM yesterday that she really didn't want to be back on the View. It seems like she didn't do her homework (yet again) to engage beyond her dad's memory. I think she will float by on grief for a long time.  I don't think she was/is intellectually inclined or self-desciplined enough to work hard. 

Grieving can become a cocoon and she didn't look ready to leave that comfort,  but we all must get on with life.  

Yet here is a woman who doesn't need to work to enjoy an extremely comfortable life.  I'm wondering if she will leave the View, within a year,  to work on a John McCain Foundation and sit on a Board like other weathy dowagers. Then she will make special tv and civic luncheon appearances to make speeches like her eulogy.  MM will support candidates she deems worthy and they will be graced by her presence (sic) at fundraisers. She can give the same speech over and over,  and won't have to do homework.  

Edited by Tosia
Any excuse to get her off my tv.
  • Love 13

Wow, rough crowd here.  MM has bugged me a lot, but I thought she behaved well yesterday.  In fact I teared up a couple of times.  No one can put a time limit on someone else's grieving.  And it's not like she was sobbing, and it was her first day back after all, which you could expect to be emotional.

I'm sure she will say something that will irritate me, but for now I think she came across appropriately yesterday.

Did anyone notice when, just before going to break, Whoppi kind of swatted the air and said "What was that, was that you?" to Abby? Maybe it was a bug or fly?  They didn't say anything after the break.

• Love 7

Meghan still looks out of it, but she's engaging more today so that's good. Hopefully being on the show and working will help her move on without wallowing in her sadness. I'm glad that we're going to have two days of Hot Topic, which might help her too.

I do find it funny that Yvette has no problem interrupting Whoopi and Abby has no problem interrupting Meghan. The faces both made when they were cut off made me laugh.

7 hours ago, MrFluffy said:

Good God Meghan, we all lose our parents around this age...PULL IT TOGETHER, you blubbering idiot. Your father is turning in his grave over your histrionics. You give a terrible image to women in general. You have the choice to behave in a dignified manner, and you chose to be a blubbering piece of trailer trash instead.

I'm younger than Meghan, but I don't think I'm looking forward to losing someone in my family. Grief is grief and people deal with it differently.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 5

Ugh... Meghan's husband texted her poll data for the midterm elections. I don't trust that guy so this "poll" needs to be double-checked.

And Trump getting up on that podium and apologizing on behalf of the nation to poor 'ol boofin-devil's triangle-I love beer Brett Kavanaugh was an absolute disgrace.

Sunny kept asking what conservative women think about the whole situation. Once again, I'm going to need for her to stop acting this naive. I KNOW she's smarter than this. Many high-ranking conservative women have already told us how they feel through their votes, interviews, tweets, ect. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 18

I think Sunny wants Abby and Meghan to be transparent and explain why women like them are okay with what's going on. It does sound naive when she says it, but I think it's because Abby and Meghan don't provide a straight answer, so she keeps asking it hoping that they'd say something else.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

It does sound naive when she says it, but I think it's because Abby and Meghan don't provide a straight answer, so she keeps asking it hoping that they'd say something else.

I think their inability to give a straight answer is an answer. That's just my two cents, though. The bottom line is they got their guy in so I think that's why they can't really give a direct answer.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Sunny , you should listen to Nicole Yvette Brown, 53% of Republican women do not care, they will vote for whomever with an R after his or her name. 

5 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Sunny kept asking what conservative women think about the whole situation. Once again, I'm going to need for her to stop acting this naive. I KNOW she's smarter than this. Many high-ranking conservative women have already told us how they feel through their votes, interviews, tweets, ect. No poll is needed because the answer is obvious, Sunny.

It's independent women voters that are key.  And their numbers are rising.  More and more people are identifying themselves as independent.

4 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I think Sunny wants Abby and Meghan to be transparent and explain why women like them are okay with what's going on. It does sound naive when she says it, but I think it's because Abby and Meghan don't provide a straight answer, so she keeps asking it hoping that they'd say something else.

Well Meghan has said previously it's all about control of SCOTUS.  But Abby seems to want to have distance from the "controversial" issues arising.  But until she outright rebukes her party I'm going to believe she is willing to look the other way and cast her vote for them.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

How did talking about Billy Bush turn into another Meghan grief moment (actually, several minutes)? 

Yep, first complaint about the new Meghan-- turning a convo about Billy B into one about herself. 

I liked Whoopi's defense of her though. No one should tell someone how to or how long to grieve.  Except on PTV, of course.

And later?  Turning the convo about new moms being shamed to get back to prebaby weight is suddenly about MM being fat shamed by Laura Ingraham. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 11

"My Dad, my Father, Jack Daniels, How dare you shame me!, Dad, Father, drinking, How dare you shame me!, Dad, drinking, sick father, Jack Daniels!"   Such a calming soul this one is.  Jeez.  Her blood pressure must be through the roof. 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

"My Dad, my Father, Jack Daniels, How dare you shame me!, Dad, Father, drinking, How dare you shame me!, Dad, drinking, sick father, Jack Daniels!"   Such a calming soul this one is.  Jeez.  Her blood pressure must be through the roof. 

Well, she managed to last one day before her typical over-the-top anger kicked in.  I really thought she would last at least two days.  This week is going to be quite the rollercoaster ride.

• Love 7

So, I had been watching because Yvette and Sunny were there, and everyone here said yesterday that Yvette was more than a fluff guest and had no problem interrupting the others to make a point. Well, the show's not even over, and McCain has already attacked Joy Behar (who isn't there) by putting words in her mouth, spewed statistics from an unnamed source that make her party look great, and condemned media outlets that she feels didn't worship her bullshit on Monday the way she deserves. Grief didn't have anything to do with this woman being a piece of garbage before or now.

And, for the record, Joy said that Al Franken deserved to be investigated like anyone else rather than just resigning.

• Love 24
23 hours ago, OnTime said:

I was only half listening when Meghan said she got wasted on Jack Daniels when her dad was diagnosed (I think) with Abby. She has also made other references to drinking bourbon with Joy or Sunny at lunches and I know she said she got wasted at her wedding reception.

I'm just kinda, sorta, thinking about Meghan's drinking.

Did Meghan read my post from yesterday?

She was so defensive about her drinking that now I'm more than just kinda, sorta thinking about her drinking.

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Did Meghan read my post from yesterday?

You shouldn't have *shamed* her!  I am so effing sick of everybody over-using that word.  Major nails-on-a-chalkboard situation for me.  A lot of people are spending a lot of time looking for things they are being 'shamed' about.  Thank you, Social Media.  One of the many reasons why I hate you so. 

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I am so effing sick of everybody over-using that word.  Major nails-on-a-chalkboard situation for me.  A lot of people are spending a lot of time looking for things they are being 'shamed' about. 

I wish I could heart this 1,001 times. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, OnTime said:

She was so defensive about her drinking that now I'm more than just kinda, sorta thinking about her drinking.

If she wouldn't talk so much about drinking and getting drunk people wouldn't question her drinking.  

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Stop shaming-shaming!  ;)

I keep waiting for the next form of shaming to hit social media.  For some reason, over-stuffing taco shaming (I should be allowed to add as much cheese on my taco without getting criticized on twitter) keeps jumping out to me as a possibility.  But, now that you mention "shaming shaming" that might be next :-).

Edited by fatewemake
  • Love 8

Pet peeve: people, like MM today, who say, "ta" instead of "to", as in "I'm  going ta say".  MM did it several times.  

Go away, MM. 

Interesting that MM wants to hold Kanye to a higher standard of explaining himself, than she could ever do--as evidenced by her comments on this show during the long,  painful months of her. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

If she wouldn't talk so much about drinking and getting drunk people wouldn't question her drinking.  

She talks about drinking so much Jack Daniels that she throws up but she doesn't think that is a problem.

She is not in college at a frat party.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

It's independent women voters that are key.  And their numbers are rising.  More and more people are identifying themselves as independent.

Registering to vote as an independent means little.  It is more of a look at me statement.  You cannot vote in the primaries and that is important.  You must be registered as a member of the party to vote in their primary. 

Most registered this way vote how they always have anyway.  

• Love 9