Type keyword(s) to search

Exiled: A Law & Order Movie: The Movie That Never Happened!

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2017 at 6:05 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Also, the characters were not portrayed well at all. McCoy's one brief scene was useless and he was totally wasted and that was all their was for the legal side and Lennie didn't look good at all, and I didn't like that scene on the roof between him and Mike either. And I didn't like how they ruined Profaci either.

Ruining Profaci is the only thing that can't be forgiven. Anything else can be written around or hand waved away or just forgotten. But trashing one of the only characters left from the pilot (and the only one from the original pilot) for no good reason and to no particular effect is simply inexcusable, If there was a real motivation or if it had some sort of lasting effect or even motivated some sort of drastic action by one of the main cast that simply wouldn't be accepted by the audience if it was someone we didn't know and feel a connection to as well that would be one thing. But it wasn't. It didn't even feel well thought out. It just seems like a cheap attempt to surprise us by making it one of the show's cast without any proper set up which makes it more of a slap in the face to the actor, the character, and the fans. Honestly if they wanted to write him off and give us a badly written shocking twist ending I'd have preferred him getting fired and asking Van Buren "is this because I'm a lesbian?"

Edited by wknt3
hit submit before finishing editing reply
  • Love 3

Agreed, that was the worst part of the movie. They threw Profaci under the bus and I didn't like it at all. It was a cheap ending that was disrespectful to the character. 

That was just the worst of many flaws in the movie though. Like I say, there were a ton of filler scenes, McCoy was wasted and Lennie not written well, the case dragged, and it didn't feel like L&O. A very weak effort for a very good idea. 

• Love 3

New member here & a huge L&O fan.  Never saw the show when it was originally on, so I'm currently watching this on the DVD sets.  I recently finished S09.  Excellent series.

While watching S09, I saw (for the first time) Exiled: A Law and Order Movie (1998). I had heard a lot of negative things about this. However, despite it's many flaws - I'm glad I saw the movie. It wasn't nearly as good as a regular episode of the show, but IMHO was still worth checking out - at least once. And, it is part of the L&O series mythos & features many of the regular characters (Briscoe, Curtis, Van Buren, Profaci, etc.) My review:

What I liked: 

Interesting story involving Logan taking the Staten Island Ferry?! to work one morning, and seeing a body being pulled out of the harbor. In typical Logan fashion, he bull-dogs his way into the investigation by claiming that the body is under his jurisdiction (which is a lie), so he can have justification to work on/solve the murder.

The investigation leads to the son of a well-known mafia don, and a cover-up involving the authorities.

In addition to the regular L&O cast, this also featured Dabney Coleman, Ice-T, Dana Eskelson (as Logan's new partner), Costas Mandylor (who reminded me of a young Michael Pare), etc.

What I found surprising:

I was surprised that Profaci was implicated in the cover-up. One of the most poignant scenes in the film was when he was explaining/justifying what happened (to Logan) and how he got pulled into helping cover up the crime - and asks Logan for help. The events in this film explain his subsequent absence on the regular series, where he had been a semi-regular up to this point.

I didn't see the end coming: As Logan & company go to arrest the son at the mafia don's large home, the don willingly turns his son over to the authorities. In retaliation, the son suddenly & unexpectedly kills his father - and then is arrested & taken away.

What I didn't like:

-The production values were cheap. This was a made-for-TV movie, and it showed. The score was forgettable, the editing was poor, and the acting wasn't nearly as good as what would have been seen on an episode of the regular L&O series.  Obviously, it would have been a lot better if this had instead been a 2-hour special episode of the show with the iconic intro., music, excellent editing, etc.  

Edited by Mike Logan
26 minutes ago, Mike Logan said:

New member here & a huge L&O fan.  Never saw the show when it was originally on, so I'm currently watching this on the DVD sets.  I recently finished S09.  Excellent series.

While watching S09, I saw (for the first time) Exiled: A Law and Order Movie (1998). I had heard a lot of negative things about this. However, despite it's many flaws - I'm glad I saw the movie. It wasn't nearly as good as a regular episode of the show, but IMHO was still worth checking out - at least once. And, it is part of the L&O series mythos & features many of the regular characters (Briscoe, Curtis, Van Buren, Profaci, etc.) My review:

What I liked: 

-Interesting story involving Logan taking the Staten Island Ferry?! to work one morning, and seeing a body being pulled out of the harbor. In typical Logan fashion, he bull-dogs his way into the investigation by claiming that the body is under his jurisdiction (which is a lie), so he can have justification to work on/solve the murder.

The investigation leads to the son of a well-known mafia don, and a cover-up involving the authorities.

What I found surprising:

Reveal spoiler

I didn't see the end coming: As Logan & company go to arrest the son at the mafia don's large home, the don willingly turns his son over to the authorities. In retaliation, the son suddenly & unexpectedly kills his father - and then is arrested & taken away.

Reveal spoiler

I was surprised that Profaci was implicated in the cover-up. One of the most poignant scenes in the film was when he was explaining/justifying what happened (to Logan) and how he got pulled into helping cover up the crime - and asks Logan for help. The events in this film explain his subsequent absence on the regular series, where he had been a semi-regular up to this point.

In addition to the regular L&O cast, this also featured Dabney Coleman, Ice-T, Dana Eskelson (as Logan's new partner), Costas Mandylor (who reminded me of a young Michael Pare), etc.

What I didn't like:

-The production values were cheap. This was a made-for-TV movie, and it showed. The score was forgettable, the editing was poor, and IMHO the acting wasn't nearly as good as what would have been seen on an episode of the regular L&O series.  Obviously, it would have been a lot better if this had instead been a 2-hour special episode of the show with the iconic intro., music, excellent editing, etc.  

Interesting thoughts. I hated the movie and think things would be better if it was never made, it was a travesty how they threw Profaci under the bus, and everyone was so OOC, particularly Briscoe and Van Buren. It felt nothing like Law and Order, there was a lot of filler and soapy scenes, and there was no legal stuff aside from one scene with McCoy. It just wasn’t very good.

• Love 1

I didn't hate the movie when it first aired, probably because I missed Logan and wanted to catch up with him. I did record it years later on TNT (I think) and saved it for my husband to watch. I think he made it maybe 10 minutes in before turning it off. But it always comes up during the rewatches because of Profaci disappearing. 

• Love 1

I really don't think spoiler tags are needed in here, or when discussing any of the episodes of this show, as it's been over two decades.

I hate this movie with such a vile passion, and it's worse for me because Noth wrote it or co-wrote it with Wolf. UGH. That he had a hand in Lennie and Van Buren acting as if Mike was booted to Staten Island because he'd been found to be a dirty cop. Which is so RICH considering Lennie's former partners or other actual crooked cops he defended all the way to the end.

But, again. This movie NEVER HAPPENED!!!😝

• Love 1
On 12/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Interesting thoughts. I hated the movie and think things would be better if it was never made, it was a travesty how they threw Profaci under the bus, and everyone was so OOC, particularly Briscoe and Van Buren. It felt nothing like Law and Order, there was a lot of filler and soapy scenes, and there was no legal stuff aside from one scene with McCoy. It just wasn’t very good.

I'd like to see an update on Profaci. It's been over twenty years now and with the L&O revival premiering soon, we can surely see an update on him. I didn't mind this movie at all. It was different, but that's because it's a movie and particularly one about MIKE LOGAN, but this is not your standard L&O episode. It just shares the name because of what it's related to. So, if you're expecting it to be just like the show then you are looking at this whole thing wrong. I will admit, we should have seen more Jack and Abbie, even if not anything court-related. 

I do wish we they had plans of SVU at this time because we could have seen Cragen starting off at the unit and leading up to the show within a year's time. I wish they still did that during Season 9's last batch of episodes. 

Edited by TotalDrama