Type keyword(s) to search

Exiled: A Law & Order Movie: The Movie That Never Happened!

• Start Topic

So Sundance aired the movie that never happened, also known as Exiled: A Law & Order Movie. And it's sitting in my dvr queue until I'm depressed enough to want to punish myself to watch it.

So, who else here liked the movie that never happened? Anyone? Anyone?

• Love 2

Well, I punished myself, and though I knew that Chris Noth wrote this story, along with Charles something or other, I really, really, really, really hated that conversation between Mike and Lennie, when Mike accused him of not showing loyalty to Mike after he got shipped to Staten Island, and Lennie's all like, what, did you want me to jump off a bridge if you had, or such bullshit. ESPECIALLY considering how Lennie would stick up for other cops he worked with that he knew were still dirty, and I can't recall if that one episode with Kevin Conway, the dirty cop, who killed the drug dealers and who ended up eating his own gun at the end, aired before this movie that didn't happen or after. This didn't put Lennie in a good light at ALL.

And I wanted Jack to just STFU. Accusing Mike of being self-absorbed as always?? What in the bluedilly FUCK???!!!!!!

The only character that didn't get assassinated or look like he'd had a lobotomy was Cragen. And Van Buren.

Of course I HATED that Profaci had to be sacrificed.

• Love 2

It's like, other than Profaci, Cragen and Van Buren, everyone that knew Mike when he was at the 2-7 hated him, or treated him like he was scum they'd scrape off the bottom of their shoe. I know of cops who get that treatment when they turn in dirty cops, or they're discovered to be homosexual (this show did air those types of episodes, so I'm not talking out of my ass), or were dirty themselves. It still continues to make me scratch my head in confusion and repeat, just what did Mike do that was so bad? I mean, they all KNEW that stupid Councilman was not only a murderer, but a homophobe, to boot. I don't care if he was a former cop.

And why I still remain bitter over this, confounds me, since we did get the line of dialogue in CI's "Stress Position" that Van Buren tried to get Mike back three times to homicide over the past 10 years; that he was a hothead, had a temper, but was honest. And he did come back, even if it was for three seasons. But still.

• Love 2

I liked the movie!  Of course it's hard for me to be objective.  He was kind of a jerk with the vic's sister.  It also kind of annoyed me that she was the type he would date in real life.  I guess that is playa hatin on my part.

I liked the opening scene where he gives the little boy his flag pin.  Hate the way they sacrificed Profacci!  I liked it when Mike rubbed Shirley's stomach.  Ok that comes under the heading of how I wished it was me too. 

And the strip club scene where he puts money in her Garter? was it?  But is obviously delighted to be there.

This is an old topic, but I'm mostly meh on this movie, though I think it had its good points.

I didn't like the characterization of the 2-7 or the DA's office, but I really liked Mike's Staten Island partner Silvera. Too bad she never reappeared a few years down the line.

She was kind of abrasive for me.  What else did you like?

She was abrasive and that was part of why I liked her. I even wrote a fic about that partnership two years in (making the assumption that they stayed partners and that Mike made some kind of peace with Staten Island, which may be wildly OOC) and enjoyed myself. I stumbled across it on FF.net the other day.

I kind of liked the grittiness of the movie. And I did enjoy that Uzielli pig (or however you spell it) getting what was coming to him.

Ice-T as a pimp was worth the price of admission.

To be honest, while I realize everyone was OOC, I did kind of enjoy everyone riding Mike's ass because the entire thing started him with hijacking a case. And I think the movie did Mike better than CI ever did. He was a homicide dude, not a Major Crimes dude.

• Love 1
And I think the movie did Mike better than CI ever did. He was a homicide dude, not a Major Crimes dude.

Well, CI's version of Major Case had murders, but I oddly know what you mean here. I have even said in the CI thread that - in context against Goldblum, for example, I much preferred Mike as the alternate cop with VDO's Bobby than Zack Nichols, but in the big picture, CI was more psychological while Mike was more by the gut and an "action" kind of cop, so it was an awkward fit at times.

Still, it was good to have him back on the franchise, strange fit notwithstanding.  :-)

• Love 2

Well, CI's version of Major Case had murders, but I oddly know what you mean here. I have even said in the CI thread that - in context against Goldblum, for example, I much preferred Mike as the alternate cop with VDO's Bobby than Zack Nichols, but in the big picture, CI was more psychological while Mike was more by the gut and an "action" kind of cop, so it was an awkward fit at times.

Still, it was good to have him back on the franchise, strange fit notwithstanding.  :-)

I get what you mean. It was nice to see Mike back and I liked both of his partners on CI, but there was just this nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right for me. He might have even been better served going over to SVU. Mike was a smart guy, but I think we know who'd win a brain teaser between him and Goren.

Mike was a better character than Zack Nichols, but I bought Zack Nichols far more easily than I bought Mike at Major Crimes for any extended period of assignment.

I guess that's why I tend to fondly remember Exiled, because Mike felt like Mike in spite of the changes in his life. I never thought he quite felt like Mike in CI.

• Love 1
I guess that's why I tend to fondly remember Exiled, because Mike felt like Mike in spite of the changes in his life. I never thought he quite felt like Mike in CI.

I tend to think the difference was time. I do know what you mean and don't even necessarily disagree. But Mike of the Mothership was a headstrong young upstart type. He was no longer the same guy, but I think experiences and the inevitable passage of time made it that way. No one is the same in their 30s that they are in their 40s and whatnot.

Still, I did see glimpses of "old" Mike in "Senseless" in S7 of CI. (The episode of a pair of siblings gunned down in a park by a gang or whatnot.) That was a dark episode, but that one, I think, did serve Logan well.

And I see this has zip to do with Exile, so I'll stop.  :-)

I tend to think the difference was time. I do know what you mean and don't even necessarily disagree. But Mike of the Mothership was a headstrong young upstart type. He was no longer the same guy, but I think experiences and the inevitable passage of time made it that way. No one is the same in their 30s that they are in their 40s and whatnot.

Still, I did see glimpses of "old" Mike in "Senseless" in S7 of CI. (The episode of a pair of siblings gunned down in a park by a gang or whatnot.) That was a dark episode, but that one, I think, did serve Logan well.

And I see this has zip to do with Exile, so I'll stop.  :-)

Before you do, I will mention that I saw glimpses of hot-tempered Mike in "The World's Fair" I think it was? When he was questioning those kids, hassling those guys who were looking for work? And asked the head douche to put his hand on the table and Mike slammed his fist, scaring the arrogant pissant.

And then of course questioning Meena's "fiance" who was slut shaming her, with the receipt from the strip bar, with "was it a pure one?"

And I reiterate, Exile DID.NOT.HAPPEN!!!!!

Before you do, I will mention that I saw glimpses of hot-tempered Mike in "The World's Fair" I think it was? When he was questioning those kids, hassling those guys who were looking for work? And asked the head douche to put his hand on the table and Mike slammed his fist, scaring the arrogant pissant.

And then of course questioning Meena's "fiance" who was slut shaming her, with the receipt from the strip bar, with "was it a pure one?"

And I reiterate, Exile DID.NOT.HAPPEN!!!!!

Yeah, "World's Fair" was another good one at showing "classic" Mike, I agree. I did like that he acknowledged the irony of having to be the peace-keeping partner when he was temporarily partnered with Falacci while Wheeler was in Europe.

(edited)

WE aired this the other night, so I recorded it. I don't think I've seen this since it first aired back in 1998 (not ashamed to say I was super excited about the movie when I saw promos for it). I remember really liking this movie when it aired, and for the most part I still do. I understand some of the objections people have to it, but I liked seeing Mike reunite with his old mates at the 2-7, even if it wasn't a happy reunion.

This is basically how I feel about Exiled as well.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
(edited)
Damn!  When was it on?  I was off my game on that one.

It was on last week at 1:00 a.m. (ET), so I recorded it and watched it last night, as my Friday night winddown. I don't know how I forgot it, but Chris Noth looked hot as hell throughout.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1
(edited)

She was a B too.

She was? How disappointing.

BUT...at least she was redeemed in CI when Deakins called the 2-7 to check Logan out and she told him she's tried several times to get him back. I like to think that he and Lennie also "made up."

But Jack? Fuck him. He told Cutter about Mike and Liz so that Cutter could impeach her on the stand in the 18th(?) season where John O'Shea's character and murder victim, had been a shrink who slept with his patients while they were his patients. So not the same thing with Liz and Mike-though his name wasn't specifically mentioned-the details provided weren't that vague that those that had been watching the original since day one or day one of the second season, would know that Mike was the cop Liz had treated after his partner had been murdered. Liz admitted that she wasn't his doctor when she and Mike had their brief relationship.

I will remain forever bitter (yes, I realize that is not grammatically correct) that Mike never crossed over for a cameo (he was on CI at the time) to punch Jack in the face for setting Liz up to be humiliated.

What?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Are we abs sure it was Mike? thought it was a generic line.

Like I said- Mike's name was never specifically mentioned. Cutter asked her about a relationship she had with a police officer, whose partner had been murdered. Max was Mike's partner. He was murdered. Liz joined the cast in the second season as the police's shrink. She was treating Mike after Max's murder.

So, for me, and everyone who watched that episode agreed it was Mike. This was back on TWoP.

I don't think it was just a generic line because it referenced events that actually happened. No other character on this show had his partner murdered. And then there was how Mike reacted when Liz was raped. That was enough to convince me they had been involved for a short time. Short because, it was Mike.

I have no problem with the way Mike or Jack were written. What they did to Profacci on the other hand...

Oh I HATED what they did to Profaci and then replaced him with a bland White guy, who wasn't as funny or sarcastic as Profaci was.

See? Never happened!

• Love 1
(edited)
I have no problem with the way Mike or Jack were written.

I didn't either. Those two always had a bit of an antagonistic relationship. And Jack wouldn't be Jack if he wasn't self-righteous. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
(edited)

Oh I HATED what they did to Profaci and then replaced him with a bland White guy, who wasn't as funny or sarcastic as Profaci was.

See? Never happened!

I don't feel as strongly as you do but in my personal L&O canon Captain Brass was the dirty cop and the whole mess motivated Profacci to leave seeking a fresh start and more interesting assignments than running people's sheets and donut runs.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 1

Capt Brass?

The detective played by Paul Guilfoyle who played Captain Brass on CSI. I really don't care about the movie except for ruining Profacci so I can't be bothered to look up his name.

• Love 2

I stumbled on to the last half of it. I hadn't seen it since it first aired. Logan should have kissed him and said: "I know it was you, Profacci. You broke my heart!" He sure broke mine. And to go down just for babysitting a psycho, not through any real nefarious ambition of his own, somehow makes it worse. He wasn't a bad guy. He was just a guy.

Side note, I dropped my jaw in shock at that great shot of Logan and Cragen under the Brooklyn bridge with a fairly bald looking Brooklyn skyline in the background. How times have changed.

On 4/2/2015 at 9:00 PM, katie9918 said:

It was nice to see Mike back and I liked both of his partners on CI, but there was just this nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right for me. He might have even been better served going over to SVU.

Logan set loose amongst damsels in distress? When he dated that one woman who killed herself after being serially raped by her ex-husband, it drove him into retirement. And Logan had three partners on CI. (Poor Sciorra, she's a good actress but her mumbly take on Barek made her forgettable.)

• Love 1

This movie was a huge disappointment. It was a great idea to have a TV movie involving Mike Logan, but it wasn't executed well. It didn't feel at all like Law and Order. The opening dragged on for about 10 minutes of pointless crap and Logan's hothead partner beating a guy up and other filler that was unrelated to the plot. The case was interesting at the start, but then it became dull and it all depended on fingerprint evidence and the entire second half they were just waiting for the results. The subplot about Logan and the victims sister was just awful and something out of a soap opera, not L&O. 

Also, the characters were not portrayed well at all. McCoy's one brief scene was useless and he was totally wasted and that was all their was for the legal side and Lennie didn't look good at all, and I didn't like that scene on the roof between him and Mike either. And I didn't like how they ruined Profaci either. 

The only characters who seemed true to themselves in the movie were Cragen and Van Buren, and ME Rodgers. I liked seeing all of these characters together and I also liked seeing Logan and Curtis meet, but I just wish that the characters had been portrayed better and truer to themselves and that the movie had more of an L&O feel to it. 

• Love 1