Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: A Fond Farewell

• Start Topic

Trev is starting to annoy me a bit, Scott really needed to go. I have no idea why he would close his own restaurant to come here.

4 hours ago, mertensia said:

Is there a culinary reason why an appetizer should contain meat? Because it's a freaking appetizer. Who cares if it's vegetarian or not?

I have to agree, but Ramsay is a certain way about vegetarian/vegan food.

• Love 1

Nailed it:

That's it. Here's my speculation, under the spoiler.

Hide contents

I think Gordan is retiring his risotto and the chefs' competition will be to concoct their version of a risotto. The winner's version will probably be on the HK menu.

However, I would have been much more satisfied if nut job, Brad Garrett didn't win. WOW is he really off center.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SevenCostanza said:

He was completely lost.  I'm guessing his restaurant is small and doesn't have table side service.

Cris (Boston accent guy) wasn't much better. The veterans are mostly big talkers (Heather, Roe, Trev) whose cockiness will come back to haunt them. Jen is this season's Ariel and Bret's personality is off the charts.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I just watched on On Demand (which blocks fast forward). The show was OK, but the previews? Based on them Jen (? I don't have the patience to rewatch the whole show to be sure, I still don't know the names of most of these people) is completely toast. However, based on this show's history, I smell a miraculous redemption arc coming up.

25 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

I just watched on On Demand (which blocks fast forward). The show was OK, but the previews? Based on them Jen (? I don't have the patience to rewatch the whole show to be sure, I still don't know the names of most of these people) is completely toast. However, based on this show's history, I smell a miraculous redemption arc coming up.

You are probably correct. Jen is this season's "drama bitch" and she'll likely be around for quite a few more weeks. Ratings mean dollars and that tops everything else.

• Love 1

So as usual, last weeks previews of this weeks episode were completely misleading about Brad’s meltdown.

Jen has four feet of hair flailing around while cooking, but apparently that is acceptable since it is part of her character.

Risotto is dramatically off the menu, with a faux wake and phony buildup. Well, at least one version of risotto, to be replaced with another version of risotto. 

Didn’t take long for the first mass ejection from the kitchen. 

How predictable was the ending, calling two names, then after the usual pause, sending them back with the other characters to survive another week. It was obvious that Scott was doomed, he was the least cartoonish character of the three. 

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 5

Jen has four feet of hair flailing around while cooking, but apparently that is acceptable since it is part of her character.

I'm sure that hair is fake and also flammable.  Allowing that in the kitchen (along with the hat) makes as much sense as a fake wake with bagpipers which is to say none at all.  

I don't remember the almost cadaverous guy with a huge ego who is getting a lot of the THs but he looks like he stepped out of a creep show.  I don't have their names sorted out yet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I don't remember the almost cadaverous guy with a huge ego who is getting a lot of the THs but he looks like he stepped out of a creep show.  I don't have their names sorted out yet.

Trevor?  "I'm not going to listen to what anybody else says.  I'm going to let my food speak for itself."  So far, it's saying, "I'm inedible."

• Love 10
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Trevor?  "I'm not going to listen to what anybody else says.  I'm going to let my food speak for itself."  So far, it's saying, "I'm inedible."

Didn't you just love the carvings he made in the Wellingtons, and then got called out for it. What a putz.

• Love 6

I guess I can’t really see the trouble about scoring the Wellingtons. Can someone tell me what I missed?

to me, the scoring looked the same as on the Ramsay website recipe. (Won’t let me upload the picture)

thanks!

1 hour ago, Bubbetv said:

I guess I can’t really see the trouble about scoring the Wellingtons. Can someone tell me what I missed?

to me, the scoring looked the same as on the Ramsay website recipe. (Won’t let me upload the picture)

thanks!

He scored them before doing the egg wash. So, the slits would have filled with egg wash and baked brown, instead of the bread shell cracking nicely with white peeking out of the scored pattern

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Charlesman said:

He scored them before doing the egg wash. So, the slits would have filled with egg wash and baked brown, instead of the bread shell cracking nicely with white peeking out of the scored pattern

So that's why doing it backwards was so bad.

Given Jocky's tone, I suspect he'd asked Trevor at some point if he was paying attention and Trevor had blown him off. Jocky was just waiting to pounce on him.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can anyone explain why Jocky is on this show? He's highly qualified. How did Ramsey get him to agree to this circus? It fascinates me. 

I would suspect $$$$$$.

ETA: As Ramsay's Sous Chef, Jocky acts as Ramsay's right-hand man in the services. He holds the same standards as Ramsay and will often get irritated by contestants' constant mistakes. Unlike previous Sous Chefs, Jocky is significantly calmer and more mellow.

Petrie joined the Gordon Ramsay Group in 2015 in the specially created role of Executive Head of Development. His role with Ramsay includes overseeing, creating and developing dishes for all 14 of Ramsay's UK restaurants with a focus on the fining dining restaurants

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

I know variations of the theme have been done before, but I would 100% watch a show where GRR takes people from the sidewalk and tries to make chefs out of them.

Scott was a good first boot, his TH’s were super annoying.  Bret can haul ass outta there next.

So far, based on limited exposure, I really like Motto.  He seems far too chill for this show.

• Love 1
On 10/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, preeya said:

Nailed it:

That's it. Here's my speculation, under the spoiler.

Hide contents

I think Gordan is retiring his risotto and the chefs' competition will be to concoct their version of a risotto. The winner's version will probably be on the HK menu.

However, I would have been much more satisfied if nut job, Brad Garrett didn't win. WOW is he really off center.

omg I seriously thought I was the only one who hated Brett from the minute they started cooking. Him and Motto were the two I want off asap

On 10/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, mojoween said:

I know variations of the theme have been done before, but I would 100% watch a show where GRR takes people from the sidewalk and tries to make chefs out of them.

Scott was a good first boot, his TH’s were super annoying.  Bret can haul ass outta there next.

So far, based on limited exposure, I really like Motto.  He seems far too chill for this show.

Motto kinda pisses me off, especially when he was talking about T's grits "I need something to wash it down" when his werent even that great according to Chef