Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth

• Start Topic

Clara didn’t work for me in large part because I adored Amy and Rory.   If I had to pick my favorites it would be them followed closely by Donna Noble.  I also really liked Martha Jones and Bill Potts.  Both deserved a lot better then they got.

Anyway the new group have potential and I am willing to give them a chance to grow so I won’t say anything about them until a few episodes in.  I will say that the Bew Doxtirs personality is lighter at least.  Maybe because she is so new.  But I kinda dig her a lot.

• Love 7

I adored__ Amy and Rory also, wished they could have stuck around for more seasons along with Matt Smith's # 11.  The more I watched , I came to love The Impossible Girl (Clara) realizing how much history her_ storyline unfolded between past Doctors. She was the one who told the original (first) Doctor not to take the Tardis he was going to steal first, and  directed him to take the one he ended up leaving with. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Her Doctor speech at the end about how we can change and still remain true to who we were might have been a bit on the nose but otherwise I have no quibbles - well, except that I wanted to see the Tardis.

Yeah. That came across to me a little too PC. 

I tried not to go into this with too many expectations. I literally watched the 13 days of the Doctor-- for 13 days. My TV was on BBCA the entire time. (Not even kidding) So I got almost two full weeks of the many flavors of the Doctor.

I am not yet enamored of any of the companions. So far they are just .. meh --which is weird because I typically love them almost immediately. They usually SHOW a reason that person is chosen by the Doctor to travel with the Doctor. I don't even remember any of their names! (how were they all breathing up in deep space at the end?) <<< that took me right out of the whole mood.

And how did the Doctor end up on that train without the TARDIS? I found that weird and random.

Another thing that stood out for me  ---The one line she (the Doctor) threw out-- "It's been a long time since I was a woman" -- I was like-- um no. You were Never a woman. I've seen every regeneration of every doctor-- even the old black and whites. Sorry the established history doesn't get changed because some new show runner decides  it's "cool".

I'll give it a few more eps. Perhaps they will all meld better as time goes by?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Clara didn’t work for me in large part because I adored Amy and Rory.   If I had to pick my favorites it would be them followed closely by Donna Noble.  I also really liked Martha Jones and Bill Potts.  Both deserved a lot better then they got.

Anyway the new group have potential and I am willing to give them a chance to grow so I won’t say anything about them until a few episodes in.  I will say that the Bew Doxtirs personality is lighter at least.  Maybe because she is so new.  But I kinda dig her a lot.

I think my favorite team was Amy, Rory and River. I like pretty much every episode where they interact. Looking back, most of my favorite episodes involve multiple people in the TARDIS, although I loved Donna Noble and would watch her yell at the Doctor all day long. 

22 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I adored__ Amy and Rory also, wished they could have stuck around for more seasons along with Matt Smith's # 11.  The more I watched , I came to love The Impossible Girl (Clara) realizing how much history her_ storyline unfolded between past Doctors. She was the one who told the original (first) Doctor not to take the Tardis he was going to steal first, and  directed him to take the one he ended up leaving with. 

I think I could have been okay with her time ending with The Name of the Doctor. She makes a sacrifice to end up throughout the timeline and that is it. We are all very sad for her big sacrifice and move on with a new companion. Alternatively, the Doctor manages to save her and she goes back to her own timeline. With Danny Pink who was way too good for her and absolutely did not deserve to be hit by a bus then cybermanned. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, taanja said:

I tried not to go into this with too many expectations. I literally watched the 13 days of the Doctor-- for 13 days. My TV was on BBCA the entire time. (Not even kidding) So I got almost two full weeks of the many flavors of the Doctor.

I am not yet enamored of any of the companions. So far they are just .. meh --which is weird because I typically love them almost immediately. They usually SHOW a reason that person is chosen by the Doctor to travel with the Doctor. I don't even remember any of their names! (how were they all breathing up in deep space at the end?) <<< that took me right out of the whole mood.

And how did the Doctor end up on that train without the TARDIS? I found that weird and random.

Another thing that stood out for me  ---The one line she (the Doctor) threw out-- "It's been a long time since I was a woman" -- I was like-- um no. You were Never a woman. I've seen every regeneration of every doctor-- even the old black and whites. Sorry the established history doesn't get changed because some new show runner decides  it's "cool".

Actually, what The Doctor said was "It's been a long time since I've bought women's clothes." The Doctor was married at one point.

• Love 8
Just now, benteen said:

Actually, what The Doctor said was "It's been a long time since I've bought women's clothes." The Doctor was married at one point.

It was before the cloths scene -- it came when she was still trying to figure out who she was-- she notices (or someone tells her?) she is a woman and she says that line. I swear! 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, taanja said:

Another thing that stood out for me  ---The one line she (the Doctor) threw out-- "It's been a long time since I was a woman" -- I was like-- um no. You were Never a woman.

She didn't say it's been a long time since he was woman.  She said it's a long time since she bought women's clothes.

Other people already commented.

Edited by DavidJSnyder
15 minutes ago, taanja said:

Another thing that stood out for me  ---The one line she (the Doctor) threw out-- "It's been a long time since I was a woman" -- I was like-- um no.

NVM you've addressed that. I do remember her saying something on the train, but I didn't think it was that she'd been a woman before. I'll have to rewatch that scene again to see what it was. 

Found the clip. Yaz says it's "cause you're a woman" and 13 asks "does it suit me" which implies it's her first time. If that's the part you mean, when Yaz calls her ma'am. Then she goes on to say she was a white haired scotsman then wonders off asking Yaz her name. 

12 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I think I could have been okay with her time ending with The Name of the Doctor. She makes a sacrifice to end up throughout the timeline and that is it. We are all very sad for her big sacrifice and move on with a new companion.

That would have been a very powerful end that would have rivaled Donna's as the most beautifully tragic end to a companion's story. But then Clara wouldn't have "won" and Moffitt seemed to like her (his invention) far more than he liked the Doctor (not his invention) so she had to get a Tardis of her own and her own companion so she could be the new Doctor in his mind. He's probably wanking off to his own fanfic about it right now. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Mabinogia said:

If it was towards the end she actually said it's been a long time since she bought women's clothing, which is different since he could have bought clothes for a companion, or his wife or granddaughter, daughter, any number of women. 

Or a previous male Doctor just had habits we weren't aware of.

• Love 17
Just now, DavidJSnyder said:

Or a previous male Doctor just had habits we weren't aware of.

That's a theory I could get behind. AKA, I wouldn't mind seeing David Tennant in drag. lol Yes, I need help. 

• Love 6

When the telescoping squares appeared in front of Gary in act 1 I thought we'd get a TARDIS flying out of it; when the commotion was happening on the train I thought I'd get a TARDIS on the train with the new Doctor stumbling out. But alas, noooo TARDIS. We did hear a snippet of the theme when the Doctor appeared but it was so short I thought they maybe couldn't afford the royalties.

Pleas, I'm disoriented enough, pleeze bring back the TARDIS., Nothing is familiar, I don't know where I am!

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That's a theory I could get behind. AKA, I wouldn't mind seeing David Tennant in drag. lol Yes, I need help. 

There was his performance in Rab C Nesbitt.

Warning - indecipherable Scottish accents ahead

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, taanja said:

(how were they all breathing up in deep space at the end?) <<< that took me right out of the whole mood.

I dimly remember a scene with Amy in her nightie floating outside the Tardis and then of course River and her magnificent Louboutins drifting into space waiting to be rescued by the Doctor following the coordinates she had left on an artifact. I think there's some Who-lore out that there that near the Tardis breathing in space  is possible - i.e. the Tardis takes care of that. I took the scene as a sign that 13's gadget had worked properly and that the Tardis was nearby. They just wouldn't show it to torment us a bit longer. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

When the telescoping squares appeared in front of Gary in act 1 I thought we'd get a TARDIS flying out of it; when the commotion was happening on the train I thought I'd get a TARDIS on the train with the new Doctor stumbling out.

I thought the giant Hershey Kiss was going to be a squashed TARDIS since it was blue, until Tim Shaw popped out of it.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, futurechemist said:

Warning - indecipherable Scottish accents ahead

WOW! You weren't kidding about that bit. Davina was quite lovely. Kind or reminds me of Sean Young or Souxie Soux from Souxie and the Banshees. lol

Thank you futurechemist and DavidJSnyder. My life is now complete. 

4 minutes ago, DavidJSnyder said:

I thought the giant Hershey Kiss was going to be a squashed TARDIS since it was blue, until Tim Shaw popped out of it.

That's what I thought too. At first I thought 13 would come running out of the light design that Ryan ended up touching, then I though the Kiss was a smushed Tardis, then when Tim came out of it I wasn't sure what to expect. I liked that, not knowing what to expect. It was refreshing. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, The Companion said:
5 hours ago, The Companion said:

I ended up liking Capaldi with Bill and Nardole, and thought he killed it in Heaven Sent where he carried the entire episode solo (and it probably goes without saying since I love River, but he was also fabulous with AK in The Husbands of River Song). In retrospect, Clara was the problem for me for reasons I still can't quite put my finger on. She just didn't work and I wish she had been given an ending and replaced with Bill and Nardole sooner. 

I ended up loving Carpaldi's Doctor and it was because of Clara. I Thought those two were so cute together-- they were so much alike. I loved it. I actually stopped watching when that Bill and Nardole became companions. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, taanja said:

At the end of Twice upon a Time, Twelve (Capaldi) takes of in the TARDIS to regenerate. The regeneration energy blasts the TARDIS console, which opens the doors and the Doctor falls out in mid air over some planet (I thought it was Earth, but maybe not?). Clearly the modern Doctor isn't hurt (much) by falling great distances any more.

(Things were much more orderly in old Who and the Doctor didn't trash the TARDIS while regenerating. It's almost as if they have a new Showrunner who wants to redesign the TARDIS set!)

1 minute ago, John Potts said:

At the end of Twice upon a Time, Twelve (Capaldi) takes of in the TARDIS to regenerate. The regeneration energy blasts the TARDIS console, which opens the doors and the Doctor falls out in mid air over some planet (I thought it was Earth, but maybe not?). Clearly the modern Doctor isn't hurt (much) by falling great distances any more.

(Things were much more orderly in old Who and the Doctor didn't trash the TARDIS while regenerating. It's almost as if they have a new Showrunner who wants to redesign the TARDIS set!)

Edited by John Potts
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I did not have as much issue with Clara as most, but your favorite companions are mine too.

2 hours ago, elle said:

I found it both strange and annoying during the interviews after the show how some people were gushing about how women were now in the forefront pointing how Nan was rushing forward to the danger as if this was a new thing in the show.  I seem to recall many strong female characters in Doctor Who.  What are they talking about?

This happens a lot with Doctor Who. Every time a female character/companion proves herself to be capable and confident, people start raving about them as if it is the first time such a thing has ever happened on the show, rather than business as usual, which capable women have in fact been since the very beginning.

1 hour ago, taanja said:

The Doctor specifically choosing companions because they are somehow special enough to be deserving of such an honour is a completely New Who retcon of how the show always used to work. The Classic Doctors hardly ever specifically invited people to travel with them. People came aboard for all kinds of reasons - often by complete accident! I prefer it that way, because it widens the pool of possible character types to explore. Limiting possible companions to 'adrenaline junkies who would be attracted to that kind of life' gets very samey after a while. If the Doctor and companions just get thrown together by accident and then bond over the course of their adventures together, while trying to find a way to get home, there are all kinds of character stories to explore, because it could happen to absolutely anyone and all those personality types will react very differently. The message of Doctor Who should never be 'only the elite few are special enough to be chosen', it should always be 'anyone can be a hero, given the opportunity to shine.'

Also they clearly weren't breathing in deep space at the end, because that isn't possible, which means the problem will have to be resolved in a matter of seconds in the next episode. It isn't an anachronism, it's a cliffhanger!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, benteen said:

The only time I ever remember The Doctor wearing a dress was 3 dressed up as a cleaning lady in The Green Death.

Considering how the Third Doctor's fashion sense had a, shall we say, flair for the theatrical, I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out that a few frocks or evening gowns were in the mix...

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Llywela said:

People came aboard for all kinds of reasons - often by complete accident! I prefer it that way, because it widens the pool of possible character types to explore. Limiting possible companions to 'adrenaline junkies who would be attracted to that kind of life' gets very samey after a while.

I prefer it too. Take our three current companions. Of the three I think only Yaz would have specifically chosen to go. She is the type who wants to prove herself and she wants to do it NOW! She's eager and daring and feels like she's not getting the challenge she deserves in her job. Ryan might decide to go, now that Nan is gone, because he has nothing else going on in his life. He has the challenge of his disease which could go either way, either he uses it as the reason not to go, not wanting to put others at risk if he can't do something, or it could be the push he needs, to make Nan proud by overcoming his obstacle. I don't think Graham would have chosen to go, if given the choice. His reactions will be the more interesting because I think Yaz and Ryan will both be into it all while Graham will have more WTF did I get into reactions. 

I can relate more to a person just going about their lives who crosses paths with the Doctor and gets swept up into an epic adventure more than I can a girl who is more important than anything else in the universe because basically the universe wouldn't exist without her. Since the Doctor herself is larger than life I like the companions to be a bit more down to Earth. My personal preference. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Llywela said:

The Doctor specifically choosing companions because they are somehow special enough to be deserving of such an honour is a completely New Who retcon of how the show always used to work. The Classic Doctors hardly ever specifically invited people to travel with them. People came aboard for all kinds of reasons - often by complete accident! 

Oh I respectfully disagree. Sarah Jane Smith -- she started as a "snoopy" reporter and the Doctor (Jon Pertwee) takes her (chooses her) on his Tardis (and later --along with Harry Sullivan) Then when Pertwee turns into Tom Baker -- that Doctor has a true affection for Sarah. Then We get Leela -- which the Doctor finds on that savage planet and specifically picks her to go with him)

Then Adric (his was the ONLY death that actually affected me)--  he leaves E space only because the Doctor chose him as a companion. And Romana? Sure she was a time lord but the Doc was hot for her! He chose her as a companion. 

I know I am forgetting many along the way. Perhaps I have a different perception of the Doctor and his companions? Could be cuz when I read comments here -- I often wonder if we are all watching the same show? LOL

Edited by taanja
  • Love 2

It didn't suck. I didn't expect it to, but my viewership has been sketchy the last few seasons.

I hope they didn't try to teach Ryan to ride a bike on a cliff side when he was young. What's wrong with pavements? Or empty parking lots? Or perhaps a less crappy bike, that would have worked.

Poor Ryans Nan. Saw it coming a mile away though. I kind of liked that the colour scheme at the funeral were the Doctors colours (purple, aqua, gold)

Tim Shaw sounds like a sketchy pro Brexit politician. Which may have been the point. One never knows. The villain didn't do all that much for me, really.

Didn't get the outer space bit either. The Tardis is coming for them, no?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

First off I LOVED The Moffatt era and still don’t understand the hate.  The Amy/Rory storyline is to this day my favorite and no one can tell me otherwise.

That being said this was a ok start.   I like the new Doctor but the companions do nothing for me.  Ironically the only one I liked turned out to be the red shirt.  Still will give them time to impress me.

Agreed with all of this. Why is the teenage girl even there? She did nothing all episode, and three companions hasn't worked since 1967.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2018 at 4:01 PM, elle said:

When Jodie popped out of the dressing room with her new look, I wondered aloud how many other Star Trek fans would comment on how the earring looked very much like the ones the Bajorians wore in that show.

I just thought, "Hey, I think I've still got one of those in my jewelry box...."  

6 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

That they MADE her the one to tell the Doctor which TARDIS to take just added to my dislike.  Yes, I get it, Clara was portrayed as more amazing than anyone ever, even the Doctor....  I found that really unnecessary.  

• Love 13
3 hours ago, taanja said:

Oh I respectfully disagree. Sarah Jane Smith -- she started as a "snoopy" reporter and the Doctor (Jon Pertwee) takes her (chooses her) on his Tardis (and later --along with Harry Sullivan) Then when Pertwee turns into Tom Baker -- that Doctor has a true affection for Sarah. Then We get Leela -- which the Doctor finds on that savage planet and specifically picks her to go with him)

Then Adric (his was the ONLY death that actually affected me)--  he leaves E space only because the Doctor chose him as a companion. And Romana? Sure she was a time lord but the Doc was hot for her! He chose her as a companion. 

I know I am forgetting many along the way. Perhaps I have a different perception of the Doctor and his companions? Could be cuz when I read comments here -- I often wonder if we are all watching the same show? LOL

Well, the Doctor didn't pick Leela to go with him, she pushed her way onto the TARDIS over his objections, and I guess he relented. He didn't pick Adric to go with him either, he stowed away on  the TARDIS and then the Doctor relented and let him come with him. The White (Black) Guardian assigned Romana to help the Doctor find the Key to Time. 

The Doctor rarely picked people to be companions in Classic Who. Usually, they came along by accident (Tegan wandered into the TARDIS thinking it was a real Police Box), or because of necessity (Ace was stranded on an alien planet). I might be forgetting someone, but I think Sarah Jane was the only one the Doctor actually sought out to travel with him. 

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I dimly remember a scene with Amy in her nightie floating outside the Tardis and then of course River and her magnificent Louboutins drifting into space waiting to be rescued by the Doctor following the coordinates she had left on an artifact. I think there's some Who-lore out that there that near the Tardis breathing in space  is possible - i.e. the Tardis takes care of that. I took the scene as a sign that 13's gadget had worked properly and that the Tardis was nearby. They just wouldn't show it to torment us a bit longer. 

I think there is a setting on the Tardis that allows you to breath outside the tardis in space, but it's only for a short time (10 minutes??)  before it collapses. 

8 minutes ago, Lokiberry said:

Well, the Doctor didn't pick Leela to go with him, she pushed her way onto the TARDIS over his objections, and I guess he relented. He didn't pick Adric to go with him either, he stowed away on  the TARDIS and then the Doctor relented and let him come with him. The White (Black) Guardian assigned Romana to help the Doctor find the Key to Time. 

The Doctor rarely picked people to be companions in Classic Who. Usually, they came along by accident (Tegan wandered into the TARDIS thinking it was a real Police Box), or because of necessity (Ace was stranded on an alien planet). I might be forgetting someone, but I think Sarah Jane was the only one the Doctor actually sought out to travel with him. 

Great point Lokiberry,  about Romana, she was a looker, I can understand how The Doctor wanted her to travel with. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

That was also an RTD thing and applies to Martha (walked the Earth by herself for a year to rally the people while the Doctor was locked up) and Donna (only human to become part Time Lord) as well.

Not to mention (ugh!) Rose, easily the worst companion ever until Clara came along to run neck and neck with her.

• Love 4

Breath of fresh air and I feel totally validated and far less guilty about not watching the final season of Clara and Capaldi together after reading much of this thread. I thought it might have been Capaldi, but as I enjoyed last season and its companions, I know it was “the impossible girl.”  

As many have already said, I’m excited about this new season. It was good to recognize The Doctor in her newest incarnation-elements of her clothes, some of the gestures, the buck up chum-let’s do this attitude. This episode got us up and running. Though I agree that there is little I know of Yaz, I suspect that will be remedied sooner rather than later as the team’s mettle is tested in upcoming adventures. I kind of wish I’d tuned in later, so I can binge, but I’m enjoying reading people’s comments now. 

• Love 2

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Grace and Graham reminded me a lot of Carmen and Lou from Planet of the Dead.  As they were the only part of that episode that I liked...

I saw someone else online suggesting Rose and Bernard from Lost, and I can see that too.

I still can't get over the fact that Jodie did all of her own stunts.

I think you know everything you need to know about Thirteen by her preferred method of defeating Tim Shaw:  She just kept pointing out that he sucks.

I didn't catch it on first viewing, but I liked the not-quite-4th-wall-break of her saying "Don't be scared. All of this is new to you, and new can be scary."

• Love 7

I am so all in on Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor! She gives me a bit of a 10 vibe, with the slight mania and the constant apologies and taking charge of any situation through sheer force of personality and a charming smile, but while also doing her own thing. Loved her realizing she is really The Doctor, and while her speech about change being scary but often good was a bit on the nose, I still liked it. 

It was a good episode, in general, even beyond a new Doctor. Not quite the epic intro that some of the obvious incarnations got, but I liked that the whole story was a bit smaller in scale. The planet cant be in danger every damn week or it starts to lose some of the impact and tension. And just focusing on a small group of people in danger, it allowed for more personal connections with the characters. 

I like the new companion gang so far, but it really sucks that Nan had to die. Its nice that she went out doing something heroic, and it will probably lead to her husband and grandson bonding, but it really sucks that she had to die. It was nice to see The Doctor stopping by the funeral, which I think lines up with the more low key nature of the episode. We didnt have millions of people in danger or dead, we had a few people in danger, and one who died. 

The evil hunter/nightmare tooth-fairy was a really coll villain, I kind of wonder if he and his race will come back. The one guy who stole the Hershey Kiss of Death to find his sister seems like he was kind of pointless if we never follow up on his missing sister and these intergalactic jerks. 

• Love 9

I'm so happy this is back. The Doctor crashing through the roof of the train car just in time was a perfect entrance. I like all the companions, though I wish Grace could've been one, too. I figured something was going to happen to her since I already knew who the companions were, but it was still sad. The alien was awesomely gross looking and I cracked up at the drunk guy tossing vegetables at him.

Jodie Whittaker has such great energy as the Doctor. I loved her wanting to turn on the siren, fashioning a sonic screwdriver from a spoon, deciding Yaz is her friend five minutes after meeting her, and her reaction to the tooth-faced alien: "I was expecting a tentacle-y thing." The Doctor waking up all disoriented from a nap is me every day. I liked her speech on the crane about change, which was obviously meant for the audience, but was also very in-character, as it was similar to Eleven's speech just before regeneration. And then when she chose her new outfit, there were shades of the previous regenerations' fashion sense. 

I understand the decision not to show the new title sequence for the first episode, but I'm looking forward to seeing it next week, along with the new inside of the TARDIS. 

• Love 7

Okay, I've watched it like 4 times now. How could I not? It was ON ALL DAY. Took me the last viewing to realize. The sonic....THE SPOON!!!! IT'S A SPOON!!! How cool is that? Otherwise?

I'm gonna give it the obligatory 3 episodes. Thus far? Going by just the pilot episode?

Not my show. But I'll give it 3.  First Doctor I didn't automatically love right off the bat. I guess I'll warm up to her....

I got my wish though...it wasn't about 'her' being the doctor, but just...'I'm the Doctor. Wanna fight, or you wanna fight?' I was cool with that.

We'll see.

So far, I may be the only human being who isn't particularly impressed.

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Considering how the Third Doctor's fashion sense had a, shall we say, flair for the theatrical, I wouldn't be overly surprised to find out that a few frocks or evening gowns were in the mix...

I had commented to my daughter that I thought Thirteen's outfit was too costumey.  She asked me weren't they all like that?  I was about to say no, then remembered the scarf, the cricketer's outfit, those you posted.  Really, it seems only Nine, Ten, and Twelve had contemporary outfits.

7 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

Agreed with all of this. Why is the teenage girl even there? She did nothing all episode, and three companions hasn't worked since 1967.

Yaz, the police officer, was in the action right from the beginning.  Multiple companions have worked in the NuWho era, such as Amy, Rory, and River, it just has not been the preferred MO of this batch of show runners.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

The evil hunter/nightmare tooth-fairy was a really coll villain, I kind of wonder if he and his race will come back. The one guy who stole the Hershey Kiss of Death to find his sister seems like he was kind of pointless if we never follow up on his missing sister and these intergalactic jerks. 

Not that I ever need to see that on my screen again, I do hope they follow up on this story.  He transported back to the Hershey kiss ride when he was kicked off the crane.  He doesn't seem the type to care about the Doctor calling this world off limits and will be back.

10 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

She (Clara) was the one who told the original (first) Doctor not to take the Tardis he was going to steal first, and  directed him to take the one he ended up leaving with. 

For me, this was the height of conceit of these show runners.  Not only did they write her into the entire Doctor Who series as this special human who lives and dies during each subsequent Doctor's lives, they also just had to make her be Gallifreyean and be the one to point the First Doctor to the right Tardis.  And yet, this was even eclipsed for me by the whole Cybermen in charge of the afterlife storyline which just killed any enjoyment I could have for Thirteen.  They just went too far for me.

I am hoping that Chibnell will not make the same mistakes.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, taanja said:

Sarah Jane Smith stowed away aboard the TARDIS for her first trip - so sure, the Doctor later encouraged her to travel with him, once they were already friends, but she forced herself on him in the first instance because she was chasing a story (and there is a big difference between 'this person is my friend, I want to take them on a trip with me so we can hang out and have fun' and 'this person has passed an entry test they never knew they were taking and has been deemed worthy of the honour of being my companion'). Harry was enticed into the TARDIS as a joke that got out of hand, not because the Doctor particularly intended to take him on an extended tour of time and space. Leela ran into the TARDIS before the Doctor could stop her and started pressing buttons; he didn't specifically pick her to go with him, he specifically told her she couldn't. Adric also stowed away. Romana was forced upon him as part of a Time Lord mission; he had never met her before she suddenly appeared in his TARDIS. Ian and Barbara were accidentally kidnapped. Tegan wandered into the TARDIS by mistake. Steven wandered into the TARDIS by mistake. Ben and Polly followed the Doctor into the TARDIS by mistake. Zoe stowed away. And I could continue. The number of companions who ended up travelling in the TARDIS by accident far, far outweighs the number of companions who were specifically invited (none of whom you have actually managed to name). And for those that were invited, it was never a case of 'yes, this person deserves to be taken on adventures because they are heroic enough to be good at it' but rather 'oh this poor child is orphaned and alone, I must take them with me so I can look after them, in memory of my beloved granddaughter.' The idea that the Doctor only chooses the best to travel with him comes from the 9th Doctor and Rose, it was never, ever a Classic concept. So these three getting dragged along accidentally is very much a return to that Classic concept of the Doctor coming into the lives of ordinary people like a whirlwind and sweeping them along in his wake, the story then derives from how these very ordinary people are changed by their experiences, not from how perfectly designed they are for such an extraordinary life.

8 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

Yaz did plenty, and multiple companions can work just fine.

6 hours ago, Bad Example said:

That they MADE her the one to tell the Doctor which TARDIS to take just added to my dislike.  Yes, I get it, Clara was portrayed as more amazing than anyone ever, even the Doctor....  I found that really unnecessary.  

Agreed. Clara was the height of showrunner conceit, determined to write his own creation into the very foundation blocks of the show so that no one could ever deny that she was the most special of special characters ever to grace the show with her perfection. Urgh.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, starri said:

I still can't get over the fact that Jodie did all of her own stunts.

I believe she said in one of the clips that there were a few stunts that they wouldn't let her do. But the leap from the crane WAS her and she was actually 60 feet up (on a wire, of course). Big kudos to her!

6 hours ago, elle said:

Not that I ever need to see that on my screen again, I do hope they follow up on this story.  He transported back to the Hershey kiss ride when he was kicked off the crane.  He doesn't seem the type to care about the Doctor calling this world off limits and will be back.

I don't believe he transported out of there. I thought he was turning into goop because of the DNA bomb that transferred into him, which he then set off. Pretty sure he's dead dead.

(But certainly more of his kind could come, if he was supposed to be their Leader and never returned.)

20 hours ago, benteen said:

I like the new dynamic with these companions so far.  As I said before, I like that Yasmin is a cop as we've never had a companion who was a cop before and that brings a unique skill set to the Tardis crew.

Hey now, Amelia Pond was a cop! :-)

5.jpg

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ae2 said:

I don't believe he transported out of there. I thought he was turning into goop because of the DNA bomb that transferred into him, which he then set off. Pretty sure he's dead dead.

I re-watched this last night and he definitely activates the recall device and teleports out of there - but as he is also definitely turning into goop at the time thanks to the DNA bombs, it  seems pretty likely that he showed up at the other end of the transport deader than dead!

Also on re-watch, and related to earlier comments about Ryan's supposed lack of ambition, he tells Yasmin that he's working in a warehouse to earn money to put himself through an NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) and that he hopes to study engineering. I'd missed that little note, first time through. He is extremely diffident about it, but not in a way that suggests lack of ambition, more in a way that supports the idea that he lacks confidence in himself and his abilities - setting up a character arc, I'd guess, in which he learns to believe in himself more.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, elle said:

For me, this was the height of conceit of these show runners.  Not only did they write her into the entire Doctor Who series as this special human who lives and dies during each subsequent Doctor's lives, they also just had to make her be Gallifreyean and be the one to point the First Doctor to the right Tardis.

I didn't take that to mean she was Gallifreyan but rather that by jumping into whatever the Great Intelligence was doing to the Doctor she was splintered through time (a la Scaroth) with the splinters popping in at the same times & places that the GI was making go wrong in order to make them go right  (hi, Sam!).

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

When the telescoping squares appeared in front of Gary in act 1 I thought we'd get a TARDIS flying out of it; when the commotion was happening on the train I thought I'd get a TARDIS on the train with the new Doctor stumbling out. But alas, noooo TARDIS.

19 hours ago, DavidJSnyder said:

Same for me on both thoughts.

I was not thrilled when they first said 13 was going to be a woman, but I like her. And since The Doctor does actually change, I guess it's OK. It really bothers me when they reboot things and make known characters a different gender (example: Starbuck).

The tooth monster reminded me of a tooth monster in a Syfy anthology show called Channel Zero.

Oh, and I loved how they kept pointing out that our evil alien villain wasn't even good at evil alien villainy -- he had to cheat! All of a sudden, he went from a terrifying unstoppable killer to a pissy little wanker who knew he was a loser if he played by the rules.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Oh, and I loved how they kept pointing out that our evil alien villain wasn't even good at evil alien villainy -- he had to cheat! All of a sudden, he went from a terrifying unstoppable killer to a pissy little wanker who knew he was a loser if he played by the rules.

That was great. I kind of love the Doctor for just relentlessly pointing out what a looser Toothy was. Not all villains are super geniuses. Some are just lazy, cheating morons with delusions of grandeur.

Funny thing. A few people in my real world Dr. Who circles have commented that they didn't like how violent this ep was. I didn't find it violent at all. I think because, though there was a decent body count and Toothy killed mercilessly, it was just a touch on the head and bam, they were out. So really, high body count, low violence. Which is how I like it. I can't watch actual physical violence but I do need there to be deaths to show that there are lives at stake.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ae2 said:

I believe she said in one of the clips that there were a few stunts that they wouldn't let her do. But the leap from the crane WAS her and she was actually 60 feet up (on a wire, of course). Big kudos to her!

(But certainly more of his kind could come, if he was supposed to be their Leader and never returned.)

Hey now, Amelia Pond was a cop! :-)

5.jpg

Wasn't it mentioned by a neighbour lady ,she was seen recently in the past  in a nurse's uniform,lol.  That's our Amy,  looking good. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Lokiberry said:

Admittedly --It has been a long time since I watched an old Who episode. I'm going from memory -- and those originally aired many years ago....

My perception was always-- even if they accidentally  journeyed with the Doctor-- that the Doctor LIKED them being there and even sort of made it happen?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 1:25 PM, taanja said:

I didn't feel an instant connection with any of them, even though I liked Graham. 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:34 PM, taanja said:

It was before the cloths scene -- it came when she was still trying to figure out who she was-- she notices (or someone tells her?) she is a woman and she says that line. I swear! 

I thought I heard that too. 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:39 PM, benteen said:

The only time I ever remember The Doctor wearing a dress was 3 dressed up as a cleaning lady in The Green Death.

Yes, that one was funny! 

Edited by libgirl2