Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: A New Beginning.

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

On 10/10/2018 at 11:03 AM, Ohwell said:

But my point is, that's what Maggie turned it into.

I thought they were building a gallow complex to hang all the POWs they had during the war?  Wasnt Maggie building that? Didnt Jesus come outside the fence where they were sitting and tell the Colombo-impersonating POW that, last season? So where did that go?

Also who in their right mind hangs someone from a beam in a new buildiing? There are plenty of trees and other structures around t hang someone from rather than a building or home. That's pretty ghastly .

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, Ohwell said:

Still not getting the point, but we can agree to disagree and move on...

Thank you; Ohwell.

Re the "theyre building a new building:

When did they ever mention they were building "a new building," and explain that was what it was? Because I dont remember hearing it, and I cant tell on my screen from the shots they used that it was a "new building" and not a gallow. or a gallow at the front of a new building. The fact is, they DID say they were building a gallow for the POWs.  Its just more o the bullshittery with this show.

On 10/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Cannot stand Maggie. Both from last season and this. She gets on my nerves. Just like Negan. I can understand why she's doing what she's doing, but I still do not like her.

And the thing is, I like  Jeffery Dean Morgan. I think hes a decent actor.  I even enjoy some of his Negan portrayal. I think hes done better than another  lesser actor could have done, given what he has from the written work and direction. But it doesnt fit in this show, and it is a sorely made miscalculation. THe fault lies with the tonedeaf PTB.

Cohan is nowhere near where she needs to b to pull off even a well-written character, in her acting , so she's sunk.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Butless said:

When did they ever mention they were building "a new building," and explain that was what it was? Because I dont remember hearing it, and I cant tell on my screen from the shots they used that it was a "new building" and not a gallow. or a gallow at the front of a new building. The fact is, they DID say they were building a gallow for the POWs.  Its just more o the bullshittery with this show.

Maggie never said she was going to build a gallows, when the Satellite station prisoners were brought back to Hilltop they were left outside the walls. GREGORY repeatedly told Maggie that she should hang the prisoners. That night construction work could be heard inside the walls, leading many to think a gallows was being constructed. In the morning however, the prisoners were led inside the walls to be placed inside the newly constructed ‘cage’

As I said before, looks like a building to me.

12BDA8C7-39D1-44AD-BAD3-F6C07648932E.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, Anela said:

Oh that was when she'd almost died, getting the pills for Lori. So, I still see why she was pissed. 

She wasnt asked to go get the pill for Lori, so it wasnt Lori's fault that she almost got killed.

Furthermore, it was pure chance that she didnt get killed on her last pharmacy run, while she was boffing Glenn. 

If Maggie had had misplaced anger at Lori like you suggested, that still would have made her much less of an asshole than for the REAL reason she was mad at Lori.  And who  in the hell acts like that to another human being, let alone one who almost had her on die just hours ago, in either scenario?? Only the worst kind of asshole, in either scenario. 

All of this is a two fold problem, though, because as shitty as the character of Maggie is, thereare people behind the portrayal -TPTB- that thought this was all ok, and tacitly sanctioned, the treating of the Lori character this way.

Not one character was shown as sympathetic to her dilemma. A dilemma that every women of age in the audience should have been able to relate to and been sympathetic as well as some being empathetic, because you know, women DO have to makes choices like these every day, every hour; and not even in a hellish ZA.  Not one character. But one character was able to treat her like complete shit: Maggie. With no consequences.  With no apology. Lori was crucified for being a woman who ha to contemplate whether or not to go through with a pregnancy in a hopeless disease and deathridden hellscape, and Maggie was built up to be this virtuous, sexy wonder girl (who of course has sex with a nerd. I mean why would she be attracted to Shane, for example? Riiight.; lolz.)

On 10/11/2018 at 1:37 AM, GreyBunny said:

So agreed. I hate Maggie and I've hated her from day one. The way she treated Glenn in season 2 was horrible (he should have told her to go fuck herself, especially after she cracked that egg on his head) and, while I'm no fan of Lori's, I wouldn't have blamed her if she knocked Maggie on her self-righteous ass for trying to butt in where it was none of her damn business. She's such an asshole and it's made worse by her stupid, fake, gulping accent. Just toss her and Negan into a pit together with a hundred walkers and forget them both.

I was so happy when Ken's mother told her she wasn't welcome at the funeral and to go to hell, at least someone finally did. It's a bummer that Gregory didn't succeed in killing her.

The way Maggie treated Glenn in Season 2 was also horrible, and a lesser complaint I had of the character.  Maggie is just an asshole, when it's unwarranted.  She was acting this way to a very mild personality; it didnt make any sense, at all, and came off as weirdly abusive.  She initiated sex with him. Then tells him afterward that his 11 condoms that are left are just potentially 11 mins of her life shed never be able to get back.  Calls him Walkerbait and does a Lady Macbeth, telling him hes a leader and all of his friends are using him. Expects him to not tell his friends (shes's known him mere days) about the walkers in the barn which endanger them all, even  a kid (guess Maggie only cares about fetuses and doesnt give a shit about the welfare of actual children). Then gives him the childish silent treatment and puts an egg in his hat and smashes it on his head.  If someone had done that as an out of character thing over a less important issue, it mightve been funny. But by now, we know her as a hypocritical religious bigot, bully and asshole, so its just more shitty behvior from her to another person, outside of her group. 

Maggie's corrosive character drags down Glenn over time, too.  He becomes pathetic when their love is built up into some holy thing --that the audience has to suffer through.  She's rapebait. He becomes an asshole because of manly guilt or whatever was written like it was a tv othe week movie from the 1970s...by the time they get to Alexandria, lenns insufferable and has lost any sense of humor or proportion, just like Maggie. Now theyre one entity, and the people around them have had to suffer in one way or another, for their special loooooove.

That accent Cohan does is so awful, and after 8, 9 years, there is NO excuse in the book for it to not have gotten better.   Make fun of Lincoln's all you want , but her's is SO awful, that its in its own weird category : she moves her lips, and the sounds emerge after a slight lag. Watch. She strains her lips in a really odd manner, pushing them into a wide weird configuration, and THEN the sounds come out. Its the weirdest fucking thing, and SO annoying...

On 10/11/2018 at 11:42 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, yes: She was out in the field all day, digging up one blueberry bush with a teaspoon, to teach Hilltop about farming.

Can't see Daryl doing that. Dwight and Negan did horrible things to him - beat, tortured, humiliated and starved him (never mind that he watched the Fonz brutally murder Glenn and Abe)- yet not a hair on their heads did he harm when he had the chance. OTOH, Pervy ol' Greg didn't have impenetrable plot armor to protect him, so maybe it would have worked since Daryl is now Maggie's lapdog instead of Rick's.

I think you also asked what it was that Maggie has done to deserve a leadership position?  I also have no clue. Except they started portraying  HER as the natural leader of the group alongside RIck, which feels wrong on SO many levels.

Anyone with eyes can see that Michonne is the most responsible, levelheaded, fair, rational, to9ughest person, hands down. OVER Rick.  She stepped up to be a police officer in Alexandria because it needed to be done. She stepped in and clobbered Rick when it looked like he might actually murder someone or was acting like a threat, at least), shes been consistently right abut things. YET, we constantly see Rick nodding over to Maggie, as if shes he's equal in leadership, and not Michonne. Ive found this odd and dismissive, at once, and figured its lame storytelling in order to get her to be leader of Hilltop. But Carol has more sense than Maggie, More everything more than Maggie, too. MAggies been a consistently selfish character, and she's been manipulative from the farm on down to the present. 

It makes no sense to me, either, why rudimentary laws have not been put down. Why decrees havent been written by  the rulers /committee , by now. Why Saviors havent been prosecuted. Why conquered citizens havent been given jobs to work in the food production and on  labor, and why they havent been relocated from the factory to be near their new jobs, and to go through some sort of reeducation and  brought slowly into the communities.  Why  havent allied forces been put in charge of metal works (why would you give the conquered people the means to make weapons?).

Why wouldnt anyone take umbrage at Maggie  acing like she is in fact queen of shit mountain and has no one to answer to, all of a sudden?   Rick has no reply to her telling him that he has to follow her now? Michonne?  She hangs the former gov, but  not everyone knows because young kids are running around there, and she dgaf.  

If Maggie and Darryl wanted justice for Glenn (and Abraham? ANd Shasha, Olivia, and everyone else?), why have they not  talked and talked and talked about it in the 18 or so months since? Im sure that they have a mail system set up between the colonies, right?   Its such a contrived fight with no supports to it, because the damn PTB are incapable of writing them in.    This is just more of the same "bastardization" of this complete show and characters. Just more bad writing.  Nothing has changed, other than Negans not onscreen anymore. That's not a big enough improvement.

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

At last some ‘Maggie’ love, I was beginning to feel like a lone wagon being circled by the Sioux ?

You're welcome to love her all you want.  Not everyone has too. Thats whats wonderful about a forum. It takes all kinds of opinions.  Some of us, brother, ARE the Sioux.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Maggie never said she was going to build a gallows, when the Satellite station prisoners were brought back to Hilltop they were left outside the walls. GREGORY repeatedly told Maggie that she should hang the prisoners. That night construction work could be heard inside the walls, leading many to think a gallows was being constructed. In the morning however, the prisoners were led inside the walls to be placed inside the newly constructed ‘cage’

As I said before, looks like a building to me.

12BDA8C7-39D1-44AD-BAD3-F6C07648932E.jpeg

If it is, it's even more dipshitty to hang a person on a newly constructed building, than to build a gallows. Just goes to show that Maggies doesnt care all that much about democracy and justice at all, or she would have waited. To at least talk to Richonne, who would have told her about a thing they want to draw up called a charter.... Nope; shes big-pantsing it, instead. Showing everyone who's the boss, unilaterally.

I could have swore Maggie was talking about killing the POWs at the same time as all the  gallows are going to go up! stuff, but you know, this shit is so stupid and convoluted, and hard to see onscreen, and too inconsistent to follow, that its nearly impossible to know much of anything on this show anymore.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Butless said:

She wasnt asked to go get the pill for Lori, so it wasnt Lori's fault that she almost got killed.

Furthermore, it was pure chance that she didnt get killed on her last pharmacy run, while she was boffing Glenn. 

If Maggie had had misplaced anger at Lori like you suggested, that still would have made her much less of an asshole than for the REAL reason she was mad at Lori.  And who  in the hell acts like that to another human being, let alone one who almost had her on die just hours ago, in either scenario?? Only the worst kind of asshole, in either scenario. 

All of this is a two fold problem, though, because as shitty as the character of Maggie is, thereare people behind the portrayal -TPTB- that thought this was all ok, and tacitly sanctioned, the treating of the Lori character this way.

Not one character was shown as sympathetic to her dilemma. A dilemma that every women of age in the audience should have been able to relate to and been sympathetic as well as some being empathetic, because you know, women DO have to makes choices like these every day, every hour; and not even in a hellish ZA.  Not one character. But one character was able to treat her like complete shit: Maggie. With no consequences.  With no apology. Lori was crucified for being a woman who ha to contemplate whether or not to go through with a pregnancy in a hopeless disease and deathridden hellscape, and Maggie was built up to be this virtuous, sexy wonder girl (who of course has sex with a nerd. I mean why would she be attracted to Shane, for example? Riiight.; lolz.)\

I didn't hate Lori, until she got all Macbeth with Shane and Rick. Acting like Shane needed to be "taken care of" and then acting like he was the devil, when he *had* to kill him, or be killed. So I get you there. But she trusted Glenn with that, and Glenn asked Maggie for help, from what I remember. I haven't watched it for a few years. I'm not religious, and don't judge her for what she wanted, but I understood her being wound up when she was almost killed over it (at the same time that she had "boffed" Glenn). I didn't understand why she was so rude to Glenn, but she also pointed out that he was the one who was always put in danger. 

I liked her the least during her "Beth Who?" time. But I understand her now. To a point. 

Michonne could take over, but she's with Rick, so they would both be at one place or the other. I can understand her refusing to visit the place they're holding Negan. I understand why Gregory was killed (and he didn't care about any of those people - he only cared about himself). She at least cares about them. You have to make tough decisions at times. Why were those boy's parents only angry with Maggie? Why not the others? Unless they were the ones that wrote the messages asking the saviours to save them. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Butless said:

I could have swore Maggie was talking about killing the POWs at the same time as all the  gallows are going to go up! stuff, but you know, this shit is so stupid and convoluted, and hard to see onscreen, and too inconsistent to follow, that its nearly impossible to know much of anything on this show anymore.

She told Jesus that the option of killing them had to be kept on the table and that if they proved to not be of any use in prisoner swaps etc, then “we can’t let them live”

4 hours ago, Butless said:

To be fair, the boffing of Glenn probably had a very low risk factor of them being caught by walkers in flagrante delicto. Judging by his expression, the whole thing probably took 20 seconds or less, start to finish.

5 hours ago, Butless said:

Lori was crucified for being a woman who ha to contemplate whether or not to go through with a pregnancy in a hopeless disease and deathridden hellscape,

Don't get me started on the whole "Lori is a slut!" because she (who thought herself a widow) had sex with a man who was not husband after she was left alone with a child she needed to protect, in an apocalypse. Andrea - a mature, single woman - was a slut too because she also had sex with TWO men to whom she was not married or even betrothed. Oh, the moral outrage! But Maggie having sex all over the place with Glenn (and could easily have found herself in the same position as Lori since condoms are not foolproof) was sweet and adorable. Why was not she labeled "slut" as well?

I seemed to have missed some parts of the last ep, since I don't remember some of the things being discussed here, like "gallows" but I don't think I can bring myself to rewatch. This forum can keep me up on stuff and thangs well enough.

• Love 4

There were no prisoners to even muse about killing after they all escaped, and Gregory with them, after little Henry idiotically went out to threaten them all by his lonesome while carrying the keys to the comically placed padlock to the whole thing last season.  That prompted Rick and Morgan's big killing spree of the Savior stragglers in the woods before Rick suddenly remembered that oops, all life is precious and we don't want to kill anymore before heading into the final showdown with Negan and crew.  And no, there were never any gallows.  Sometimes a building frame is just a building frame.

This isn't a season 2 thread, but I think we can probably agree the writing in that season wasn't doing any of our female characters any favors.  Between making Carol too weak to look for her own damn kid, letting Andrea clip breakout star Daryl in the head to earn the wrath of the fandom because OMG she had the audacity to want to be treated as an adult contributing member of the group rather than mind the dishes or laundry, and the Rick-Lori-Shane mess that somehow managed to not even know how morning after pills work, it was a shitshow all around.  As one of the newer cast at the time, Maggie wasn't immune.  She hadn't seen enough of the post ZA world yet to know what kind of hard choices were having to made and she made a snap judgment that this group of interlopers on her father's land seemed awfully cavalier about risking her new boyfriend's life sending him out for what she deemed nonessential supplies five minutes after dangling him down a well as bait in a sublimely ridiculous effort to get a walker out of it.  Whenever I catch any of these episodes during the marathons, I always marvel a little that they all didn't end up killing each over a whole lot of stupid bickering.

Maggie's calling the shots now because, unlike Rick, she was actually elected to be a leader.  And the group of people she leads is producing most of the food that's so blithely being promised everywhere else.  Unless Rick and company are prepared to go in and take their stores by force, that actually does give them a certain amount of say in what happens.  We can certainly debate whether she deserves to be a leader because the show really hasn't done a great job of showing us her supposed leadership skills, and it does seem like those skills are going to be called into question in this current storyline.  But the problem with her story of executing Gregory unilaterally is just one element of the larger problematic story of Rick sparing Negan and every last Savior in the first place.  It probably seemed like a nice feel good ending to him at the time, but it created as many new problems as it supposedly solved in expecting a whole lot of people who never chose him as their leader beyond that one battle making the decisions for them longterm while expecting them to live happily ever after with their former tormentors.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Deadheads... said:

Why wouldn't Rick just shut down the sanctuary? Build a new place or integrate the people to the 4 towns that we know of..

Unfortunately the show’s fixation with Negan wouldn’t possibly allow it. Sanctuary was and always will be ‘Negan’ 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Butless said:

It makes no sense to me, either, why rudimentary laws have not been put down. Why decrees havent been written by  the rulers /committee , by now. Why Saviors havent been prosecuted. Why conquered citizens havent been given jobs to work in the food production and on  labor, and why they havent been relocated from the factory to be near their new jobs, and to go through some sort of reeducation and  brought slowly into the communities.  Why  havent allied forces been put in charge of metal works (why would you give the conquered people the means to make weapons?).

Especially since they DID ALL THIS when they lived at the prison, and had a ruling council (that Rick wasn't even part of), and integrated people from Woodbury, etc.  They act like none of this ever happened.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Butless said:

And the thing is, I like  Jeffery Dean Morgan. I think hes a decent actor.  I even enjoy some of his Negan portrayal. I think hes done better than another  lesser actor could have done, given what he has from the written work and direction. But it doesnt fit in this show, and it is a sorely made miscalculation. THe fault lies with the tonedeaf PTB.

Cohan is nowhere near where she needs to b to pull off even a well-written character, in her acting , so she's sunk.

Oh I agree with you on that. I like Negan... but a little bit goes a long way.

Question, wasn't there a quick few lines between Maggie and Michonne about creating a democracy, after they've both glanced at the civil war poster/newspaper page (?) mounted in the city hall? If so, where exactly did the democratic discussion regarding Gregory's sentencing occur? Off camera? That felt very unilateral for me, on Maggie's part.

Also - nice to see Jesus hasn't lost the martial arts moves, I think we saw two whip kicks at least towards the beginning. Hi yah!!!

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Anela said:

I didn't hate Lori, until she got all Macbeth with Shane and Rick. Acting like Shane needed to be "taken care of" and then acting like he was the devil, when he *had* to kill him, or be killed. So I get you there. But she trusted Glenn with that, and Glenn asked Maggie for help, from what I remember. I haven't watched it for a few years. I'm not religious, and don't judge her for what she wanted, but I understood her being wound up when she was almost killed over it (at the same time that she had "boffed" Glenn). I didn't understand why she was so rude to Glenn, but she also pointed out that he was the one who was always put in danger. 

I liked her the least during her "Beth Who?" time. But I understand her now. To a point. 

Michonne could take over, but she's with Rick, so they would both be at one place or the other. I can understand her refusing to visit the place they're holding Negan. I understand why Gregory was killed (and he didn't care about any of those people - he only cared about himself). She at least cares about them. You have to make tough decisions at times. Why were those boy's parents only angry with Maggie? Why not the others? Unless they were the ones that wrote the messages asking the saviours to save them. 

I think they did the well stunt in order for Maggie to tell Glenn his friends were using him. Because Glenn wasnt always being put into danger by the group. The disporportionate amount of being put into danger was happening to Rick and Shane, from what I remember. And Maggie had no right to say any of that,a nyway. She knew Glenn and the rest of them for a blip in time.  Im not sure I remember what the 'Beth who?' referred to, other than maybe she was only concerned on finding Glenn, post prison collapse, and I dont recall her worrying about her sister. Which was weird. Beth was just another character sacrificed on the alter of Glaggies Sacred Love.

It's more of how Rick always threw the eyes to Maggie, even back as far as Alexandria *before* there was a Richonne. It's like Michonne always got a backseat to Maggie, and there was no real good reason for it. She was more mature and competent. I never understood why Maggie was talked up to be  potential great leader.  She was in a Rick n Glenn bubble, I dont  even recall her interacting much with therest of her own group. 

I really dont know whos the idiot who casts these Fear shows, but they love shitty hasbeen comedians. Brett Butler, Mo Collins,  Jenna Elfman. Yuck.  Who especially decided that Butler needed back on a vehicle? Didnt she sexually abuse some kid on her show?  I know there was something about making him touch her breasts, IIRC.  There are tons of actors to choose from, but they picked at least these three examples, who were lousy at comedy and are even worse at acting.

22 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

She told Jesus that the option of killing them had to be kept on the table and that if they proved to not be of any use in prisoner swaps etc, then “we can’t let them live”

In other words, she was getting set to kill them all, anyway.  So yeah; what happened to the gallows? Or was she just going to give them poisoned turnips?  Rick and Morgan did her dirty work for her. It's obvious that they werent framed in a good light in the show, for doing it. So maybe this is all fruition. Maggie the selfish judgmental person  is now Maggie the selfish judgmental leader, whos going to end up taking over.

19 hours ago, peach said:

Especially since they DID ALL THIS when they lived at the prison, and had a ruling council (that Rick wasn't even part of), and integrated people from Woodbury, etc.  They act like none of this ever happened.

Yes. And this is whats so disheartening about this show. That they not only bastardize the characters, but rewrite the history of the shows that they not even that long ago wrote.  And its not just the in-world history. It's the freaking history of the human race, as well.  How were they even getting by? On the Cult of Rick?

• Love 3

In other words, she was getting set to kill them all, anyway.  So yeah; what happened to the gallows? Or was she just going to give them poisoned turnips?

My original and only point, was that Maggie did not suggest that the Saviours were hung, which is why NO Gallows were ever built. 

• Love 2

I have to admit that I started giggling when Maggie was doing her angry walk towards Glenn's grave, pushing that obviously empty stroller through the bouncy grass and uneven ground.   Then I laughed out loud when she got "attacked" (and I use that word loosely) and the wee baby Herschel goes flying out of his stroller.    Does that make me a bad person?    

Other people have asked, but why was Enid in a wheelchair during the hanging scene?   

As a person very involved with horses, let's just say that I was cringing watching some non-riders pretending like they knew how to ride.   The King's horse in particular was saying "get out of my mouth!!!!"    Another actor was just thwacking away on that horse's back, having no idea how to sit the trot.   Ouch.   

Also, I wish they had done an "In Memoriam" for Rick's greasy, wet, dripping hair!   I shall miss it now that he has a new 'do!!!

Edited by EllipticalAddicted
  • Love 2

I really dont know whos the idiot who casts these Fear shows, but they love shitty hasbeen comedians. Brett Butler, Mo Collins,  Jenna Elfman. Yuck.  Who especially decided that Butler needed back on a vehicle? Didnt she sexually abuse some kid on her show?  I know there was something about making him touch her breasts, IIRC.  There are tons of actors to choose from, but they picked at least these three examples, who were lousy at comedy and are even worse at acting.

I don't know about Brett Butler, but I thought she did well here. I also like Jenna Elfman, but don't watch the other show. 

I recall a lot of people being annoyed at Maggie for not just killing all of the saviours in the first place. Now there's a problem, because she's killed Gregory, and planned to kill them anyway?

Finally, ding dong Gregory's gone! Honestly, its amazing that worm has survived this long, the amount of people he has screwed over. Dude is like the Littlefinger of the ZA, but without any of the actual cunning and intelligence. 

I do wonder, why not just banish him, and anyone else who wont play ball? Then you wont have to do these public executions, and you wont have to deal with them anymore. Maybe they could come back as more of a threat, but how bad off could they really be to such a big alliance? 

Honestly, I totally forgot this season had started. I guess spending several years watching some idiot give lame speeches and make dick jokes has somehow curbed my enthusiasm for this show. 

• Love 3
On 10/13/2018 at 4:54 AM, Butless said:

And the thing is, I like  Jeffery Dean Morgan. I think hes a decent actor.

I never heard of him until he was introduced here, so I watched a not-very-good movie with him as the star. In spite of the bad movie, he was very personable and charming so it's almost admirable in a messed up kind of way how TWD PTB managed to make him so unlikable and even intolerable. High fives all around to the team.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I do wonder, why not just banish him, and anyone else who wont play ball? Then you wont have to do these public executions, and you wont have to deal with them anymore. Maybe they could come back as more of a threat, but how bad off could they really be to such a big alliance?

In fairness to Maggie, the Governor got away from them, and one day, months later, he showed up in a tank and chopped her dad's head off.   So maybe just end this problem once and for all.

• Love 7

Banishing only makes sense if you can decidedly get rid of them and stay rid of them. But in this case, Gregory would still be wandering the general vicinity as an outlaw. And, yes, with enough of a surprise advantage, even he can be dangerous. So the only way to beat him and keep him beaten is to be done with him for good. As Shane once asked Rick: "We tried to kill each other, man. What did you think, we gonna forget about it all, we're gonna ride off into the sunset together?" I can give a pass to most of the grunts who were just fighting for the side that everybody they knew was on, but Gregory wasn't stopped by peacetime. Honestly, the only thing that did slow him down was that he sucked at killing. So he was pretty much limited to the Sideshow Bob argument. "Attempted murder, what is that, really? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry?"

• Love 3

No live thread for this weeks episode?

Rewatching last weeks episode, seems like rigging up a truck bed would have been a better way to go than messing with that wagon. Even finding a trailor would have been better.

Edited by 2FarGone
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

My original and only point, was that Maggie did not suggest that the Saviours were hung, which is why NO Gallows were ever built. 

I seriously doubt shed waste bullets killing those POWs, or poison them by turnip 

• Love 1
On 10/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

They need to hit up a few libraries and get those old Foxfire books (in addition to the stuff Georgie gave them)!   Dewey 975.8 - Anne should know this.   https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/03/17/520038859/the-foxfire-book-series-that-preserved-appalachian-foodways

Got every one of them.  :>

On 10/13/2018 at 6:03 AM, Butless said:

If it is, it's even more dipshitty to hang a person on a newly constructed building, than to build a gallows.

I don’t get that.  If you’re going to hang somebody, all you need is a high horizontal with some swinging room underneath.  What difference could it possibly make whether the horizontal is a tree branch, a gallows, or an open rafter?  Certainly no difference to the hangee, I’d wager.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4
On 10/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, Nashville said:

What difference could it possibly make whether the horizontal is a tree branch, a gallows, or an open rafter?  Certainly no difference to the hangee, I’d wager.

They should have put him on a horse, if they really want to have Wild West justice. More dramatic that way.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, AngelaHunter said:

He was on a horse? Okay, as much as I detest doing so, I really am going to have rewatch this cuz it seemed I missed most of what happened even though I was looking right at it. Damn. 

Daryl is the one who smacked the horse's rear to get it to gallop off.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Really? OMG, this is worse than I thought and I'm pretty sure I wasn't drunk at that point. I'm embarassed. :(

That's okay.  this show isn't really worth remembering.  I watched most of this one, while surfing the net, with my good buddy FF, so I couldn't reliably tell you what else happened.

• Love 4
On 10/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, Nashville said:

I don’t get that.  If you’re going to hang somebody, all you need is a high horizontal with some swinging room underneath.  What difference could it possibly make whether the horizontal is a tree branch, a gallows, or an open rafter?  Certainly no difference to the hangee, I’d wager.

We're just days away from Halloween, and you have to ask why it's not a good idea to hang someone from the rafter of a building or home?  Go do some research and watch Beetlejuice.

• Love 1

We're just days away from Halloween, and you have to ask why it's not a good idea to hang someone from the rafter of a building or home? 

Why mess with store-bought Halloween decorations when you can make them yourself?  ;>

Go do some research and watch Beetlejuice.

What’s your point - Gregory’s doomed to end up being an office errand boy in the hereafter?  Good enough for him.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Here you go:

Thank you! Okay, I guess I can make some lame excuses, like the first shot was at a distance and the horse is black, then I know it's closer up, but I guess I didn't notice the neck on the left side. and... okay, I've run out of excuses.  I guess Maggie wanted Greg to suffer, what with putting the knot at the back of his head instead of on the side. Hey you kiddies over there! Wanna watch a slow strangulation Aunt Maggie set up for you? Think about that if you're tempted to be naughty!

13 hours ago, peach said:

That's okay.  this show isn't really worth remembering. 

Sad, but true. I remember when I'd watch every moment, and even rewatch some eps. Now I sit there, eyes glazed while vague thoughts drift through my brain: "Who is that? Where are they going? What did he/she say? I can't see anything. Who is screaming? I'm so bored." So yeah, I miss a lot.

4 hours ago, Nashville said:

Why mess with store-bought Halloween decorations when you can make them yourself?  ;>

I mentioned that upthread. Best damned halloween decorations ever, just lying around for the taking.

• Love 4
On 10/12/2018 at 12:01 AM, Shriekingeel said:

Regarding the contrived “the Sanctuary is dependent on the other communities because crops won’t grow there” plot point, I kept wanting to yell the (slightly paraphrased) Sam Kinison line at the Sanctuary people: 

“HEY GUYS, WHY DON’T YOU MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD GROWS?”

Container gardening.  Sure, you can't grow crops, but if the Termites can subsidize their miserable existence with some fresh veggies, so can you.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, AngelaHunter said:

To be fair, the boffing of Glenn probably had a very low risk factor of them being caught by walkers in flagrante delicto. Judging by his expression, the whole thing probably took 20 seconds or less, start to finish.

Don't get me started on the whole "Lori is a slut!" because she (who thought herself a widow) had sex with a man who was not husband after she was left alone with a child she needed to protect, in an apocalypse. Andrea - a mature, single woman - was a slut too because she also had sex with TWO men to whom she was not married or even betrothed. Oh, the moral outrage! But Maggie having sex all over the place with Glenn (and could easily have found herself in the same position as Lori since condoms are not foolproof) was sweet and adorable. Why was not she labeled "slut" as well?

I seemed to have missed some parts of the last ep, since I don't remember some of the things being discussed here, like "gallows" but I don't think I can bring myself to rewatch. This forum can keep me up on stuff and thangs well enough.

I lurve me a good slut - but that just doesn't apply to any of these women.  Why doesn't anyone bag on Abraham, who fucked Rosita even while pining for Sasha, and accepting Rosita's love necklace & Round Two shower sex, knowing full well he was dumping her?  Oh, wait - because he saw a "future" with Sasha.  Slut.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:45 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I never heard of him until he was introduced here, so I watched a not-very-good movie with him as the star. In spite of the bad movie, he was very personable and charming so it's almost admirable in a messed up kind of way how TWD PTB managed to make him so unlikable and even intolerable. High fives all around to the team.

He was a very sexy burly bedridden man on Grey's Anatomy, a Lifetime ago.  I would've had ghost sex with THAT JDM.  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Container gardening.  Sure, you can't grow crops, but if the Termites can subsidize their miserable existence with some fresh veggies, so can you.

It looked like they were trying to grow corn in small raised beds.  But as the child of what would now be known as homesteaders here in the U.S., I always feel compelled to point out in these discussions that while container gardening as we've been shown on the show is great if you're looking to grow a few tomatoes or peppers or whatever to supplement a diet, it's not, however, going to produce anywhere near enough to fully feed a community.  Hilltop and Alexandria at least appear to have full if somewhat small fields going.  And yes, I realize nitpicking the realism of farming on this show falls perilously close to the same ground as nitpicking the previously inexhaustible supply of gas, bullets, or batteries. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

He was a very sexy burly bedridden man on Grey's Anatomy, a Lifetime ago.  I would've had ghost sex with THAT JDM.  ;-)

Oh yes, Denny Duquette, I think he was.  I was so sad when he died.  Ghost sex, indeed. 

• Love 4

To me it appeared the Sanctuary gardening space looked to be a couple of bare dirt patches around the outside of the (former) factory building, and damned if I would eat anything coming out of THAT dirt.  Everything would probably taste equal parts leaked motor oil and hexavalent chromium.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Everything would probably taste equal parts leaked motor oil and hexavalent chromium.

When you've eaten a flea-bitten Border Collie, worms, acorns, a raw tortoise and dog food, what's a little hexavalent chromium? Maybe it would kill the raging case of tapeworms Daryl surely has after eating uncooked squirrel guts.

• Love 4
On 10/20/2018 at 1:08 PM, WearyTraveler said:

He was even better as the Winchesters father in the early seasons of Supernatural. 

He's very Negan-y in the movie Watchmen.

Nobody's mentioned the birds in the early part of the episode - so the wildlife is finally coming back..? That's a good sign.

Edited by Colorado David
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

When you've eaten a flea-bitten Border Collie, worms, acorns, a raw tortoise and dog food, what's a little hexavalent chromium? Maybe it would kill the raging case of tapeworms Daryl surely has after eating uncooked squirrel guts.

Daryl does not eat uncooked squirrel guts. He eats raw worms.

The uncooked squirrel guts are what he uses to keep his hair shiny.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Daryl does not eat uncooked squirrel guts.

He did too! I don't remember much of anything, but recall that. To this day I haven't watched him eat the worm because that grossed me out more than anything else ever on this show.

Daryl, the knowledgeable woodsman/hunter, eating raw guts:

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 12:49 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Jadis/Anne mentioned that those were all heirloom lines of seeds.  They were keeping a so-called doomsday vault of them specifically for the absolute worst-case scenario like this.  It's a real thing that exists in locations around the globe.

We've genetically messed with crops so much that a lot of stuff you buy commercially isn't going to be as good for self generating future crops.  Think how much seedless produce is available now.  It's a whole different process to propagate those.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:01 PM, icemiser69 said:

I absolutely agree with this.  Not to get too far off topic, but heirloom varieties taste much better anyway even if they don't look as pretty as the hybrids.

However they might need both? If it were me, I would get the hybrid seeds also - as many packages as I could find at those old Home Depots and such.

And I say this because of where I live. Maybe where they are now (is it Virginia?) heirloom varieties are okay to grow. They were for me when I had a garden in Indiana (it was a Purdue University rented plot.) However, where I am now in Georgia, if I had to live off heirloom crops in my backyard garden, I would starve. The disease pressure with the red clay soil and hot climate is too great. I generally try a couple of heirloom variety transplants every year... and every year they are dead within 6 weeks, and I'm lucky if I get more than a couple of tomatoes before they die. The eggplants do a bit better, but whereas we had so much zucchini in Indiana I was giving it away, I don't even try to grow zucchini here anymore. If the vine borers don't get them, the disease does. I grow cuccuzzi squash (snake gourd) instead - it's vine borer resistant and more disease tolerant.

My point though is I don't think relying on only heirlooms might be the best strategy. Depending on the weather that year, the disease pressure, the potential insects, etc. hedging on only a few varieties might be a bad idea. I grow many varieties in my garden, and it seems every year a different one does the best,*** depending on the conditions that year. Especially the tomatoes and eggplants.

I agree with whoever it was above who suggested some kind of hydroponic-type set up or above ground gardens. Less disease problems. Easier to keep watered if the weather doesn't cooperate.

*** Except the heirlooms - they always die. ; )

• Love 1
On 10/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, AngelaHunter said:

He did too! I don't remember much of anything, but recall that. To this day I haven't watched him eat the worm because that grossed me out more than anything else ever on this show.

Daryl, the knowledgeable woodsman/hunter, eating raw guts:

You don’t eat ALL the guts that way; unwashed squirrel colon, for example, would be gritty as hell on your teeth. ;>

You pick out specific parts, like the liver or the heart - and even then, consuming those bits raw is laying out the welcome mat for some dandy parasitic infestations.

• Love 1