Type keyword(s) to search

Life Below Zero - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks for that link. Very interesting. When that episode aired I thought it was obviously staged but I thought Sue was in on it for dramatic effect. From that article that producer is culpable and the show needs to make it right for Sue, signed contract or not. She should retire from the show and get a big compensation award. She deserves it with the extent of her injuries.

Reality shows are obviously not real, but the participants shouldn't be harmed either. 

• Love 4

If you watch the show then Eric Salitan, the hunting and fishing guide was put in the same situation while gathering wood with his snow machine flipping over and crashing as he tries to go up a tricky bank.

Luckily, only the machine got dinged and not Eric.

LBZ Producers push for dramatic and good footage but it is up to the "star" to make the final decision to do anything.

Keep us posted on Sue's case.

I agree with Jen, I used to enjoy watching Chip and Agnes but now they just seem to kill everything they come across. I know they hunt to feed themselves and often others too but there are a few instances that stick in my mind. The one when the caribou were crossing the river and Chip was stabbing at any that came close enough. I was always led to believe that if you hunted caribou in the river your boat had to be still and no motor running. If I am wrong pls let me know as I was told this by a police officer. The next instance was Agnes with the egg collecting. Chip said they don't take all the eggs so they don't affect the numbers in the bird population. Every single nest Agnes and the girls looted was left empty. When they were cleaning the eggs I couldn't believe how many they had taken, they couldn't possibly eat all of those themselves. Thirdly to have the girls clubbing ducks to death is just barbaric. Agnes calls the ducklings "cup a soups" because that's all she can really do with them!!! Unbelievable. Killing foxes just to make hats and be quite happy about it is just stupid. It's not like they are short of cash, they make out its a month to month existence but they're paid to be on the show and they have other income.  I think the producers of Life Below Zero should take a long hard look at what they put on tv. Maybe Chip and Agnes should be less greedy and only kill what is essential at that time. It's a shame they are so greedy because they are both great at showing the girls how to do things the way Agnes was brought up.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kaz07 said:

I agree with Jen, I used to enjoy watching Chip and Agnes but now they just seem to kill everything they come across. I know they hunt to feed themselves and often others too but there are a few instances that stick in my mind. ... I think the producers of Life Below Zero should take a long hard look at what they put on tv. Maybe Chip and Agnes should be less greedy and only kill what is essential at that time. It's a shame they are so greedy because they are both great at showing the girls how to do things the way Agnes was brought up.

I get what you're saying, but really wonder if the real problem isn't with the editing. We get hints that a lot of what they collect goes to others, extended family and others in the village. Unfortunately, the folks running the show have decided to focus on the hunting scenes instead of what happens with the game back at the village. The other thing, like you said, what we see often flies in the face of what we're hearing. You picked the perfect example, where in one scene they're scurrying around emptying every nest they find, then in the next we hear how they leave enough so they don't impact the bird population. Hmmm, I don't know enough to be sure if that is true, or if the show runners are pressuring the Hailstones to act contrary to their normal practices. I mean, I could see where being early in the laying season they can empty all the nests and there still be time for the birds to lay more. As long as there's time for the eggs to hatch and the chick's to grow enough before winter... ok, no harm no foul - but if that's  the case I think they should have made it clear.

That's my real problem with the Hailstones segments. We watch them hunt and gather, but never see the full cycle. I can see where, in the "olden days" of subsistence living, a group or family may have gone out and collected all those eggs, then traded with other villagers who went out to collect other game or stayed behind to do needed work at the village. What we're being shown is only so portion of the cycle, with no way to decide if Chip's words of "only taking what we need" is fact or what the show runners think we want to hear.

• Love 3

I just started watching this show on Netflix and can't stop. I'm obsessed with all things Alaska. I've been a few times and can't wait until my kids are old enough to go and actually learn and not just sightsee and eat snow cream. It's so beautiful there and the footage of the areas shown on this show is breathtaking. 

I'm just starting season 3, episode 2, but I think the Netflix seasons are different than the seasons the network numbered with because I keep seeing that there are 9 seasons, but that's not possible with the math/years. 

Anyway, my thoughts so far:

Andy scares the crap out of me. His temper is just outrageous. And I can understand that he's tired and he's doing the work of multiple people by himself, but boy does he lose it quick, fast, and in a hurry. I think the guy is a genius and would trust anything he builds/engineers, but I wouldn't want to be around him at all. I feel like he's very verbally abusive to Kate and if he will do that when the cameras are rolling then God only knows what he's like when they're not. I love Kate. She's funny. She's just really beautiful. And she seems down to earth and laid back. Maybe she equals Andy out somehow, but he still scares me. I've known men like him that have let their hands/fists fly as much as their mouths.

I did a survivalist month with a family very much like the Hailstone family. When you are watching the show, it DOES look like they are taking a lot of meat/eggs/fowl, but they're really, truly not. Imagine how many bags of food you bring into your house in a month. Whether it's fast food or groceries. Imagine you only have about 3 months to get all the food you will eat for 9 months. Now imagine that for the OTHER stuff you need to survive (wood, gasoline, vegetables, fats, fruits, berries, nuts), you have to trade off a portion of the food you've just procured to survive the winter. Their meat is their money as well. The family I stayed with were able to trade moose burgers for much-needed medication. So, you have to factor in all the unexpected expenses as well and that's why they work hard to build their 'bank account' --- which is their excess meat to share, trade, and barter with. They aren't greedy --- they just want to go into the winter months with enough money (meat) to meet their financial and dietary needs.

Having said that, I don't quite like Chip Hailstone. He's very bossy and very know-it-all to Agnes. He says that she's the hunter, but he's always telling her when/how to shoot, when to cut the meat, etc... He also seems to sit back a lot and let her and their kids do the work. I get that some of it HAS to be done by the women because of cultural laws, but I still feel like the work isn't distributed evenly.

Glenn hasn't grown on me much. I guess he enjoys being naked and that's just fine but I'm not interested in seeing it. (I'm a lesbian also. LOL)

I kinda miss Erik even though he got very repetitive and monotonous at times. I've only seen his new wife a few times, but she's very lovely and capable.

Sue. I love Sue. She's a tough old hardass and I laugh at her one-liners in every episode. I think it speaks volumes about her mental fortitude to get attacked by a bear, then have one come through the wall onto her head and still live up there like a boss. She is also extremely well-spoken and intelligent. It wouldn't surprise me if her IQ was up there too. I've known a lot of truly smart people (genius level) who prefer to be alone with their thoughts and away from people. I'm hopeful that we will learn more about her and why she chose this career and life as the series progresses. At the point I'm at (Season 3, ep 2), she has only implied a few things about having a hard life before moving to Kavik. She seems to have a great relationship with her grandson and all of her regular pilots. I also admire her for thanking the animals she kills and caring for the foxes in her area. I hope she doesn't get into trouble for feeding those foxes, though. I didn't know any better, totally my fault, and shared some salmon with a fox and paid a nice little fine while I was there once. 

This is one of the better Alaskan shows I've found. I tend to tune into all of them at least once or twice and this show comes the closest to showing what I experienced and learned there. I'm enjoying it so much and I'm glad I found it on Netflix. I hope more seasons will be added soon.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

I just started watching this show on Netflix and can't stop. I'm obsessed with all things Alaska. I've been a few times and can't wait until my kids are old enough to go and actually learn and not just sightsee and eat snow cream. It's so beautiful there and the footage of the areas shown on this show is breathtaking. 

I'm just starting season 3, episode 2, but I think the Netflix seasons are different than the seasons the network numbered with because I keep seeing that there are 9 seasons, but that's not possible with the math/years. 

Anyway, my thoughts so far:

Andy scares the crap out of me. His temper is just outrageous. And I can understand that he's tired and he's doing the work of multiple people by himself, but boy does he lose it quick, fast, and in a hurry. I think the guy is a genius and would trust anything he builds/engineers, but I wouldn't want to be around him at all. I feel like he's very verbally abusive to Kate and if he will do that when the cameras are rolling then God only knows what he's like when they're not. I love Kate. She's funny. She's just really beautiful. And she seems down to earth and laid back. Maybe she equals Andy out somehow, but he still scares me. I've known men like him that have let their hands/fists fly as much as their mouths.

I did a survivalist month with a family very much like the Hailstone family. When you are watching the show, it DOES look like they are taking a lot of meat/eggs/fowl, but they're really, truly not. Imagine how many bags of food you bring into your house in a month. Whether it's fast food or groceries. Imagine you only have about 3 months to get all the food you will eat for 9 months. Now imagine that for the OTHER stuff you need to survive (wood, gasoline, vegetables, fats, fruits, berries, nuts), you have to trade off a portion of the food you've just procured to survive the winter. Their meat is their money as well. The family I stayed with were able to trade moose burgers for much-needed medication. So, you have to factor in all the unexpected expenses as well and that's why they work hard to build their 'bank account' --- which is their excess meat to share, trade, and barter with. They aren't greedy --- they just want to go into the winter months with enough money (meat) to meet their financial and dietary needs.

Having said that, I don't quite like Chip Hailstone. He's very bossy and very know-it-all to Agnes. He says that she's the hunter, but he's always telling her when/how to shoot, when to cut the meat, etc... He also seems to sit back a lot and let her and their kids do the work. I get that some of it HAS to be done by the women because of cultural laws, but I still feel like the work isn't distributed evenly.

Glenn hasn't grown on me much. I guess he enjoys being naked and that's just fine but I'm not interested in seeing it. (I'm a lesbian also. LOL)

I kinda miss Erik even though he got very repetitive and monotonous at times. I've only seen his new wife a few times, but she's very lovely and capable.

Sue. I love Sue. She's a tough old hardass and I laugh at her one-liners in every episode. I think it speaks volumes about her mental fortitude to get attacked by a bear, then have one come through the wall onto her head and still live up there like a boss. She is also extremely well-spoken and intelligent. It wouldn't surprise me if her IQ was up there too. I've known a lot of truly smart people (genius level) who prefer to be alone with their thoughts and away from people. I'm hopeful that we will learn more about her and why she chose this career and life as the series progresses. At the point I'm at (Season 3, ep 2), she has only implied a few things about having a hard life before moving to Kavik. She seems to have a great relationship with her grandson and all of her regular pilots. I also admire her for thanking the animals she kills and caring for the foxes in her area. I hope she doesn't get into trouble for feeding those foxes, though. I didn't know any better, totally my fault, and shared some salmon with a fox and paid a nice little fine while I was there once. 

This is one of the better Alaskan shows I've found. I tend to tune into all of them at least once or twice and this show comes the closest to showing what I experienced and learned there. I'm enjoying it so much and I'm glad I found it on Netflix. I hope more seasons will be added soon.

IntoTheMystic - I watch almost all things Alaskan (and Pacific Northwestern, too), with the exception of that awful Alaskan Bush People show.  I highly recommend The Last Alaskans on the Discovery Channel - if you're not already watching, I think you'd love it.  I also enjoyed Port Protection (Nat Geo), Railroad Alaska (Discovery) and even Edge of Alaska (Destination America).

Having watched every episode of LBZ, I'll address some of your inquires that will be revealed to you as you get deeper into the seasons...

Chip has had some problems with the law so he isn't allowed to use certain weapons and his wife/children are allowed to hunt game because they are Inupiaq.

Easy to Google his legal entanglements.

Chip is off putting as a know it all but he enables his wife and kids to live their life style and his pride in their hunting, fishing, gathering, making of traditional clothing and art is seen in future episodes.

Both Agnes and Chip work hard, share their bounty with family, neighbors, elders and that is to be admired.

Glen likes to be naked so fast forward his vanity segments.

At least one bath per season.

The dynamic between Andy and Kate gets ugly before it gets better.

You can really see it in the episodes where her daughter visits.

Spoiler Alert: Kate finally has enough.

Erik and Martha Mae Salitan both have dry,dry humor.

She runs a family fishing camp and Erik is a well respected guide so they are to be admired for their commitment to the lifestyle.

You will grow to like them as they reveal more of their personalities.

Sue is a straight shooter who is living her dream.

She has an accident that threatens to blow up her dream but she is a tough lady.

If you get tired of her Sue-isms you can't deny that she lays it all out there for the cameras...the good, the bad and the ugly.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

IntoTheMystic - I watch almost all things Alaskan (and Pacific Northwestern, too), with the exception of that awful Alaskan Bush People show.  I highly recommend The Last Alaskans on the Discovery Channel - if you're not already watching, I think you'd love it.  I also enjoyed Port Protection (Nat Geo), Railroad Alaska (Discovery) and even Edge of Alaska (Destination America).

1 hour ago, rcc said:

I like Railroad Alaska too. Alaskan Bush People not so much.

Yep, I watch all those as well, and for the most part agree with the above assessments. I've been all over with the Bush People, both hated it and loved poking fun at it when I started watching again. I think, more than anything else, I hated the way they insist things are real when it's easy to spot holes in their storyline - oh, and the fact that some of what they insist is real would get anyone trying to imitate them hurt. Sort of the same with the folks at McCarthy (Edge of Alaska) with the obvious drama over traditional versus modern ways of life.

One not mentioned so far is Building Alaska, but I guess it's more reno/This Old House than about a way of life. Used to enjoy Last Frontier, but got tired of watching/hearing how they HAD to do such and such or they'd never survive the winter. Wish they'd forget the false drama and show day to day life... but that probably wouldn't make for good tv.

Edited by SRTouch
Added a sentence
  • Love 2

Oh, goody. I finally get the opportunity to share something worthwhile. 

I will preface this by saying that I'm a vegetarian, but I wasn't when I spent quite a while in Alaska with a family very much like the Hailstone family. When I first experienced the animal killing, I felt like a lot of you guys do. Why so much? Why so often? Why so brutally? Why? Why? Why?

Here's what you have to understand about subsistence living:

1)  Your meat is your money.

If you need gasoline, you trade meat for it. If your jet-ski breaks down, you repair it by trading meat for it. If your vegetable cellar floods or is damaged, you trade meat for new vegetables. If you need fat (seal), you trade meat for it. If you need medication, you trade meat for it. If you need the village doctor, you trade meat for it. You have to make sure you have enough meat for trading, bartering, paying, and helping to feed hungry neighbors who aren't great hunters. You grab it while you can through any means necessary because it is LITERALLY your income and you can only supplement that income with more hunting a few times a year.

2)  Fur is your actual money.

If you are lucky and you have a family who sews, you can utilize all the parts of the animal and sell the fur creations or just the fur that you have caught. The family that I stayed with were able to sew about 6-10 hats, 6-10 blankets and 6-12 pieces of clothing per year. The hats would sell for about 150-300. The blankets, depending on size and fur type, could go for 250. The clothing was anywhere from 20-100. That is less than $10,000 a year in actual money and you cannot rely on that because there may be no buyers. You have to trade meat or spend money for buttons and threads and tools for sewing that needs replacing. You would be insane to let a fox worth $300 get away when that's your only income. 

3)  Eggs are eggs.

I went egg gathering and I was grabbing those eggs like they were a million bucks. It's no different than chickens. If you empty a nest --- it will be refilled and those chicks will hatch. I currently have chickens because my wife is an omelet fiend and we take eggs daily. If we want chicks then we skip a few days or set aside a special area for those eggs. Trust me, taking the eggs we need every single day can STILL overrun us with chicks if we aren't careful.

4)  In the Arctic you eat POUNDS of meat every day.

Your body burns a gazillion calories in the Arctic because it is trying to keep itself warm and you are fighting snow with every step you take. Walking in snowshoes will burn up twice what you will burn on an elliptical going full blast. I was weighing out my portions at the height of my stay and I was scarfing down well over four pounds of meat per day and I was still hungry and quick to tire. I was taking two multivitamins and eating all the nuts and berries I could find, but I still lost over 30lbs so fast it was scary. Once I started eating more animal fat (and I mean a TON of animal fat) I started to feel better but that fat was eaten on TOP of the four pounds of meat per day. For a family as large as the Hailstone family . . . that adds up really fast. 

5)  Variety is the spice of life.

Can you imagine only having pork on your plate for a year and no variety? Eating the same thing gets old after a while. Food should be enjoyed. Especially if you work your tail off to get it. You can't just run to the grocery store if you want a hamburger or roast. There's no fast food. And you can't just run out and kill a duck or a seal or a musk ox or a bear when you feel like it. So, when those animals are in season you hit them as hard and fast as you can so you aren't eating caribou all winter. You gather is while you can because once it's gone it's gone for MONTHS. Even the fish. And you are DYING for fresh meat by the time winter is over because it tastes so much better than the stuff that has been frozen for months.

6)  It's a math thing.

There are 365 days in a year. A family of two parents and five kids who eat around 5 pounds of meat a day ... 7 people x 5 lbs a day = 35 lbs per day. 35 lbs x 365 days a year = 12,775 lbs per year just to sustain the family. That's not including additional meat for bartering/trade/income.

Ducks are about 5 lbs. Caribou is up to 100 lbs. Musk Ox is up to 500 lbs. Two - three fish will feed a family that big.

So while it looks like a LOT of hunting and killing, it really isn't. Not even close. I was amazed at how quickly you can go through an entire animal to feed a family that size. It's just not something you think about when you are grabbing a pound here and there at the grocery store. You can never, ever have enough in the Arctic.  When you see the Hailstones clubbing ducks or spearing seals or stabbing caribou in the river, they are doing it because they will literally die if they don't. And it's much more humane to club a duck and kill it quick than shocking/drowning/beheading the animals you are purchasing at the grocery store. The majority of those animals aren't allowed to roam free at all before they're butchered and their lives are a living hell.

I didn't become a vegetarian because of my experiences in Alaska. I became a vegetarian because I researched the way animals are butchered for the grocery store. If I lived in Alaska and could harvest my own meat, I would not be a vegetarian. Seeing the videos on meetyourmeat.com and some of the stuff PETA has uncovered makes it impossible for me to buy meat at the store.

• Love 11

I don't have anything valuable to contribute.  I must say, reading the comments reaffirms my disdain for most people.  Everyone judges the Hailstones yet belong to a religion that says to Judge Not.  We are all predators yet some do not eat meat or say how wrong the Hailstones are.  I laugh at you all.  Those poor ducks that got clubbed is barbarous -funny, too.  Not long ago I ate a ground hog my dog killed-good dog.  I've hunted, fished, and trapped my entire life and I am home in the woods.  I think the wife in that family is awesome (and beautiful).  I think the father is awesome, too.  He doesn't lose his cool and is always trying to teach his children. 

Where ever you are sitting, stop and look around.  Count how many things are alive.  What did you come up with?  If it is less than a thousand, then you have no right to comment on life because you are not around it and know nothing about it.  Too bad, so sad. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

I don't judge the Hailstones or belong to any religion. I think they're doing a fine job. I have lived in Alaska and hunted meat for my existence. It was hard. It was often brutal. It was often uncomfortable. But it was 1000% necessary. Anyone who eats meat purchased from the store has NO RIGHT to complain about how subsistence living people butcher their meat. I can guarantee you that taking out an animal who has lived its whole life free and in the wild with a bullet or spear or arrow is a million times more humane than keeping that animal locked up in poor conditions its whole life, shooting it full of antibiotics and growth hormones, and then slaughtering it wholesale through horrible means. 

At least the animals killed by the Hailstones ARE free. They can and often do get away entirely. It's the circle of life in the Arctic. It's kill or be killed. 

• Love 5

Reading Chip's blog (written before he was banned from using firearms) was interesting. It's fairly obvious on the show that their story about division of labor/Chip being happy to have his wife and daughters do the shooting is fishy. Chip is very bossy (not necessarily in a negative way) and definitely comes off as someone who thinks he could do better with the hunting while he's "supporting and assisting" others in doing the actual shooting. I've read the police/court reports about the incident that led to his arrest/conviction for perjury and I can't really tell whether he intentionally lied in an attempt to implicate the officer or the police screwed him over for daring to challenge them. Obviously, a felony conviction, even on a bullshit charge that required no jail time, is a bigger deal for people like Chip because not being able to use a firearm means a significant change in their lifestyle/ability to support themselves and their families. I could see that being a tool police use to intimidate people, like, "Are you sure you want to file those charges? If the courts don't believe you, you will lose your right to use firearms..." I also question whether Chip refrains from touching firearms when the cameras aren't around. It seems that they do most/all of their hunting in areas where no one else is around, so how would the authorities know whether Chip or someone else shot an animal? From the family's perspective, if Chip is the best/better hunter and they need the food to survive, why should they let an unjust legal ruling negatively affect their family's well-being?

Edited by TheRealT
  • Love 1
(edited)

As a fan, I came by to see what was going on.  I haven't seen any new episodes lately. 

One thing that I like about most of the people on this show, is that you can tell that for the most part, they do really hunt, fish and trap.  Nothing is more frustrating than to see a self-proclaimed subsistence dweller, not able to hit a target or make foolish mistakes that only a novice would make. Andy gave me a few surprises, but, for the most part, they get it figured out.  

My curiosity is aroused as to how these subsistence dwellers make it in those parts when they are seniors and not able to perform such heavy work.  Just keeping the wood cut and gathered is intense, let alone the hunting and fishing.  How would they retire? Have they paid in Social security?  Not sure how that works, regarding how they claim income. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My curiosity is aroused as to how these subsistence dwellers make it in those parts when they are seniors and not able to perform such heavy work.  Just keeping the wood cut and gathered is intense, let alone the hunting and fishing.  How would they retire? Have they paid in Social security?  Not sure how that works, regarding how they claim income. 

Andy seems to be concerned about this with frequent comments about getting things done while he had the energy and strength. I strongly suspect that the Hailstones, clearly family orientated, care for their own. Sue? Who knows? It's clearly on her mind. If you've ever watched The Last Alaskans ((I like it--well done and the people seem pretty real, all things considered) one of the character, an older man with heath issues, relocated to a more developed area for a year or so to recover and get his health back with hopes of returning to his homestead.

SS? Who knows? Various back up plans? Being as self reliant as most of these people are, I wonder myself.

• Love 1

I have seen that one of the seniors on one of the shows, I think Yukon Men, continues on, despite losing some mobility.  His kids live in Florida and are begging him to come down there.  But, the last time that I saw him, he and his wife were staying put.  

I think you are right about Chip and Agnes.  The others, I'm not so sure about. Sue concerns me.  I don't see Sue as being able or willing to leave her post.  I suspect she may stay there for the rest of her days, regardless of when that is.  I do think that her health may hold her back.  

• Love 1
On 11/7/2015 at 9:03 AM, KarmaG said:

I think he is off the show. He wasn't in the promo that aired the other night.

I am watching reruns on #Netflix and am just on Season 2 Ep 17. I am shocked Kate hasn't left Andy already. He has a horrible temper, kicks things, throws things, blows up at her and acts like a child having a fit. He was tossing rocks into that bag, gets her fingers, says twice how she's bruised and not once did he say he was sorry! But when he was training that younger guy, he sure was nice, wasn't he? He's a narcissist. I won't read further so I won't know before I see the show but I hope Kate wised up!

I think Chip is very knowledgeable and doesn't hunt because he isn't allowed. They have to trade to feed all those mouths and can you imagine all the shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, toiletries.. clothing when they get picky.. . I don't think they show all he really does do. I never see him sitting around. But I saw him snap on Agnes once too. When it was just them putting up shelter and a beam hit her lip. He yelled at her to stop it. She seems strong and would kick him out if she didn't truly love him. She can fully take care of herself.  Everyone has different sides when the camera is off. It must get to them all to not have privacy after awhile.

Glenn is blah.. Not much to say about him. Erik is a good guy and a great catch! A true hunter-gatherer! I hope to see him and his wife more. 

As for Sue- if she reminds us one more time there is no one but her to take care of the property she wanted to buy, I'll scream! That's how it is when you buy property and live alone. It's not some big surprise every episode! I live alone. Not even close to how she does, but I'm responsible for everything. But she does get help. She gets fuel delivered, mail, food, meds.. she could be stuck driving a snow machine into town herself.. Things could be worse. She has help in this episode for the 2nd year. I'm a little worried tho..by the size of her little pupils, I'm afraid may be dependent on pain meds since her ankle surgery. It didn't look like she fell all that hard, but after the pills came she was driving for 2 days which is torture for a real bad injury and throwing around stoves in no time.  Her pupils should be larger in the dark when they aren't.. I have seen and know people who went down the wrong path after it started off innocently from an injury. I wish they'd show more of her company..oh wait.. here's a plane. The water issue again? She knew she needed water in the winter. She's something else. 

But anyway, I'm really loving this show! I've been binge watching it whenever I get the chance! ?

The others, I'm not so sure about. Sue concerns me.  I don't see Sue as being able or willing to leave her post.  I suspect she may stay there for the rest of her days, regardless of when that is.  I do think that her health may hold her back.  

Maybe, maybe not. I see what you're saying but Sue is also protective of both the camp and her responsibilities. I suspect that when/if she gets to the point of seriously not being able to perform the many needed chores to keep the place going she may--reluctantly--either take on help or put the place either up for sale or hire a caretaker of some kind. She clearly recognizes the importance of Kavik being there and that people depend on it; that should it close down it could well endanger the lives of those who need the fuel and rest stop.

And yes, I agree that she's clearly thinking about what she'll do in the future. She's suffered some serious injuries which impact her now--a few years down the road they won't get better and she may have a few more battle scars to cope with. Speaking as someone in my 60's, I'll vouch for the fact that you don't heal as easily as you did when you were in your 20's and chronic pain + reduced capacity sucks.

• Love 1

I wish Chip had gotten legal advice and representation early on.  Maybe, they don't have much access, though.  Very fishy situation.  Don't get me started on Alaska LE shows. 

• Love 2

I know I will be slammed for this comment but I just found this show on Netflix and enjoyed the first few episodes in the series.  As I watched I noticed there was more and more profanity until it seemed to be gratuitous.  I know profanity is common but if the first three  to four episodes can be filmed with no profanity then all of a sudden everyone is swearing, what is going on?  Do the producers think no one will watch without the excess of profanity?  I think well placed profanity can be effective but profanity because a producer thinks its entertainment.....not so much.  The fact that it could be done for the first few episodes just shows me that an entertaining program can be produced without profanity. 

Are you talking about Life Below Zero?  Man....I didn't notice. That sounds bad. I guess it's because most all of the shows that I watch have more bleeps than words.  I kind of like to curse, but, I don't, because, it's an easy habit to pick up and I can't talk that way since I am a professional and it wouldn't be very professional to slip up and use profanity, imo, so I avoid it.  Plus, with the grandkids around, I don't want them to pick up poor language, so I try to set a good example. 

The first one was showing "dick-head" Chip winning a lottery to hunt Muskox, but he could only hunt with an old rifle because of his felony conviction.  Hunting is hunting, but Chip put three shots into the animal & finally finished it off with a 12-guage.  That meat must have been bullet-ridden!!  Is this an old or new show?  Anyone??

So Chip is going to jail?  Surprised to see that mentioned on the opening of the season.  And Agnes and her daughters slaughtering the poor caribou, who didn't have a chance to escape, since they were swimming!!!!  I'm not against hunting, but I do believe the animals should have a chance to escape.  

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Diane M said:

So Chip is going to jail?  Surprised to see that mentioned on the opening of the season.  And Agnes and her daughters slaughtering the poor caribou, who didn't have a chance to escape, since they were swimming!!!!  I'm not against hunting, but I do believe the animals should have a chance to escape.  

No doubt, if these folks were sport hunters I would agree their hunt is not sporting. However, what they're doing is subsistence hunting with the goal of gathering meat to sustain the family. The beef I ate for dinner, which I purchased at a grocery store, came from a beef cow which had less chance of survival than those caribou in the water. Neither the cattle raised as beef nor the caribou have much chance of dieing of old age... but given a choice I know which I think had a better quality of life.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5
(edited)

I guess everyone has opinions. Funny, I think Glenn is one of the best on the show. Compared to the others, he is really "roughing it". No power tools, no snowmobiles, no commercial fuels... He even rubs sticks together together to make fire.

He is the most impressive to me and the fact that he is 48 and looks 30 surprised the heck out of me.

Another thing I read is about how much some of these people are "talkers". This doesn't surprise me because of how much these people normally remain isolated from other humans, I can understand they'd like to talk when they get the chance.

Found this site by accident and that's just my 2 cents.

Edited by TE5LA
  • Love 3

To see Chip flown off to prison was rough.  Pre law encounter, he was a great hunter / exceptional shot who got meat for so many others beyond his immediate family.  A verbal altercation with a trooper cost him his right to use a gun.  And jail time.  

Five years less time applied means 15 mos. left to go.  

Chip is a laid back guy but when Agnes' son  got into it with troopers, and his daughter got grabbed by the trooper in what Chip perceived to be inappropriately) while verbally defending her brother, things went downhill.   Chip accused the trooper of 'improprieties'...and felt the guy was baiting him while physically holding his daughter.  That cost him his living, his voice, and his freedom since he can't or won't say more.   Personally, I doubt he has much more to lose.   Chip committed no violent crime...his voice being his only crime.  I hope he doesn't get hurt or worse in prison. This thing seems over the top.   Everyone has a hot spot.  With Chip, it's obvious his life centers on his wife and kids.  This is an example of a non violent guy believing there was a physical threat to his kid.   That accusation 'mistake'? cost him everything.    If anyone knows of a fund to appeal for this non violent man to get his gun rights back, after serving time, I'm on board.   In the interim, my heart goes out to Agnes and the kids.   Their life of contentment has been shattered.

• Love 2

Chip had a list of convictions like 2 counts of perjury and was able to stay out of the pokey but has to serve 15 months for 2 misdemeanors.

Off to Anchorage for Chip.

Agnes rallies the girls and they have a successful caribou hunt but you can tell they miss him.

Sue goes to the Arctic Refuge to hunt and have a vacay.

Glen fells a dead tree that loomed too close over his home.

Jesse uses a buddy's boat and fish wheel to secure fish for his dogs.

• Love 3

SRTouch, we'll have to agree to disagree.  Shooting the caribou when they're swimming is like shooting an animal in a closed room, which is fine if the animal is threatening you.  Those caribou were trapped in the water, not surrounded by open fields where they had a chance to escape.  TE5LA, I like Glenn also.  Just can't imagine spending long nights in that tiny cabin, but he seems to love it.

(edited)

I still love this show.  Now that Alaska's discontinued their financial contributions for film companies I was worried this show would be canceled.  Glad to see it back for another season.

When Sue was talking about the beauty of the Arctic Wildlife Refuge she said going there is like going to church.  I say something similar, that for me going into a forest is like entering a magnificent cathedral!

I c-ya Sue!

IMG_0429.GIF

Edited by Sup wit dat
  • Love 2

I find Chip egotistical and he's not my favorite on this show. But if he was standing up for his daughter then I think it's unfair that he go to jail.

• Love 1
Spoiler

I prefer Chip to Glenn but I prefer everyone to Glenn. I don't know enough about Chip's case to comment on it so I won't say anything other then I feel sorry for his family. They are all very good at what they do so they should be fine in terms of living and surviving but they are a close family so I know that Chip's being gone will hurt them.

I don't have a problem with how they hunt. They use the food to live on day by day, they are not hunting for fun. Animals are regularly targeted when swimming by other animals, I don't see their hunting as being anything different. We like to think of ourselves as being above other animals but it really isn't that different then another predator making a kill. They have shown the family as being careful in it's hunting to not target Moms with young and the like. I don't hunt but I am not going to criticize how they gather food to live by.

I don't know that I would say Chip is egotistical. He is very proud of how his family lives and what skills they have but he has never struck me as being preachy or an asshole. I think he knows that not everyone wants to live the way they do but that he is proud that they are able to live off the land and pass on traditional methods to his daughters.

• Love 5