Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Life Below Zero

On 12/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, Pebble Puppy said:

Glenn owns real estate , he's a pilot, he owns several cabins, a plane. Remember these "reality shows" are extremely edited to show you what they want you to think. He has two children from his first marriage, a step daughter which he adopted and a toddler with his partner Trisha. What you see him hunting and harvesting feeds all his kids including his ex wife.

His ex wife is Silvia Daeumichen...here she is voicing concerns over a tax bill and stating that her children's kidcare was cut, leaving them with no insurance...the story was published in Dec. 2017  https://www.webcenter11.com/content/news/Constituents-voice-concerns-on--tax-bill-in-Youngs-Office-464536493.html

You may now call me by Nancy Drew

• Like 1

Sue says frequently that she's alone in Kavik, but that isn't always true.  I saw an older episode last night, and a man was helping her, and in a couple of other episodes she had a woman helper.  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2016 at 7:13 PM, Loudog said:

Sue Aiken sucks. I'm convinced that her 'accident' was completely staged to help cover her complete lack of anything resembling skills. She sucks and should be destroyed.

I have a question - do Alaskans actually call winter "dark winter" or is that just a show thing?

On 1/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Diane M said:

Sue says frequently that she's alone in Kavik, but that isn't always true.  I saw an older episode last night, and a man was helping her, and in a couple of other episodes she had a woman helper.  

There are times when Sue is alone at Kavik. Normally she is on her own during the winter. She has friends and family come and help her during the summer so that she can make more repairs and improvements. Normally when she says she is alone, she is, or she is referencing when she will be alone.

I watched this weeks episode last night and damn did that bear do some serious damage. Ricko and his kids had their hands full. I loved the kids and their attitude. The boy who threw some glass that broke had the perfect look of whoops and then the hands  behind the back with the look of "What broken glass" was perfect. I was impressed with how much stuff that they had in that cabin. I am guessing that it is easier to bring things in and harder to bring things out. It should be nice to be able to start some new memories in the place and have it transform into somethign that purely reflects Ricko and his family.

We did chuckle with the kids waiting outside while Ricko went to check on the bear. Obviously the kids were left with a part of a camera crew and those folks were armed. But it still was funny. "I am going to look for a bear in the house. You two chill by this rock and wait for me to come out or until you hear me being eaten."

Love watching Jessie. You can tell that he is doing better because his boat seems to be better and you can see equipment upgrades. Same for Sue. I suspect a decent amount of that is from appearing on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some fans of the show who go to Kavik.

The Sue stuff is getting old only because it is so routine, same for the Hailstones. I think they need to find some new blood for the show. Ricko is hopefully replacing Glenn. Jessie seems to be getting Andy's screen time. We need someone to take time away from the Hailstones and Sue only because their stories are on constant repeat. It would be nice to be introduced to some of the other folks living interesting lives.

• Like 5

I was so shocked by the opening last night about Andy.  No wonder he wasn't featured and glad that he was able to get the help he needed.  Hoping for a full recovery for Andy.  His girlfriend seemed to be a very hard worker like he is.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iluvobx said:

I was so shocked by the opening last night about Andy.  No wonder he wasn't featured and glad that he was able to get the help he needed.  Hoping for a full recovery for Andy.  His girlfriend seemed to be a very hard worker like he is.  Time will tell.

I missed last night's episode. What happened to Andy?

Yeah that was a surprise. I wonder if it was an injury due to reenactment, like Sue's, or if the footage they used was simply old footage of something similar. I hope that he is able to recover and do everything he needs to be safe during the winter. And I am going to withhold judgement on the girlfriend. They met a few years back via the internet, is a nurse, and is in Florida, where Andy went for his surgery. A part of me wonders if she is someone the show hired to help Andy when he got home because there is no way he could function, and be filmed, in Alaska with his injuries.

Yes, I am jaded.

• Like 2

Hopefully Andy is a changed man. If not then she will leave too. Then alone with his dogs once again.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, QuinnInND said:

I wonder if she'll put up with Andy's abusive bullshit and if so, for how long. 

On 2/5/2019 at 10:00 AM, rcc said:

Hopefully Andy is a changed man. If not then she will leave too. Then alone with his dogs once again.

Leopards don't change their spots.  As they age and become feeble & frail, abusers find other avenues.  That said, Andy is clearly a dog lover, and the dogs seem to love him.  If only he could realize he is not meant for human companionship.

• Like 5

Andy kisses the girlfriend last night after she helped him catch all the fish and then he proclaimed he couldn't have done it alone. Then at the end she kisses him on the cheek while hugging him. I guess she finds him lovable! I say he just wants a helper to get the work done.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Andy kisses the girlfriend last night after she helped him catch all the fish and then he proclaimed he couldn't have done it alone. Then at the end she kisses him on the cheek while hugging him. I guess she finds him lovable! I say he just wants a helper to get the work done.

Andy can't live the life he wants without her help - for now.

Much like Chip.  Agnes and her children can (and have) thrived without him.

• Like 3

I am impressed with the work that she is doing and how willing she is to chip in. Still jaded, I am sure that she gets some money for being on the show and I would not be surprised to find that she is being paid by Production because she is a nurse and can help Andy heal while appearing on the show. Andy is well received on the show, more so since he became single, and I am sure they did not want him to not appear this season and they might have been concerned that missing a season on the homestead might have prevented Andy from returning at all. The homesteads in that area have to require regular maintenance to continue to function. I can only imagine what being gone a year or more would have done to Andy's place.

That said, I hope we are all wrong and Andy found someone he wants to live with and has figured out how to live with someone.

Loved seeing Jessie's cabin going up. We know he has friends in the area, they have lent him equipment in the past, I am sure he could have had a friend or two come over and finished more quickly but that would have been less dramatic. I am glad that he is building a better place to live but I hope that it is not too close to the river. We have all seen the damage the river can do. I see that it is raised up a bit but I remember what the river did to Andy's property years ago and worry that Jessie is too close to the river.

But watching him staple to dogs wound close was hard. Oh my god, yuck. I  just, no.

Hey it's the Hailstones. They are hunting. Did you know that Chip can't hunt seals because he is not a member of the tribe? You did? How is it that you know that? Oh, because they tell us each and every freaking season. I like the Hailstones and think that their lifestyle is cool but it is the same old same old. I am ready for a new family or something different.

• Like 5

The Hailstones bore me too I hate to say.

• Like 3

Stapling in some instances is better than using a needle and thread.  My husband had a big gash on his forehead, and the ER nurse stapled it.  When it healed, there was no scar.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, Diane M said:

Stapling in some instances is better than using a needle and thread.  My husband had a big gash on his forehead, and the ER nurse stapled it.  When it healed, there was no scar.

Oh, I get that but I don't need to see it. I am that person who watches certain movies and shows with eyes closed or hands shielding her eyes. I am just squeamish

• Like 1

What was up with the Sue crotch shots last night in the season finale! LOL

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

This article about new cast member Ricko just showed up on my browser as something I might be interested in - and yeah, I found it interesting, and like him even more than before.

• Like 3

Sue was on Ellen with Melissa McCarthy as the guest host.

Apparently, the US gov't open up the Refuge to more commercial business and there will be more businesses coming in to compete with Sue for places to stay and fuel near Kavik...looks financially bad for her..she got all teary eyed...

However she has a bf who lives in NYC...mostly online...of course...

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Sue was so unlike the Sue we see on the show talking about her NY boyfriend! That is a shame about the commercial business hurting her.

• Like 2