Type keyword(s) to search

Life Below Zero - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Hailstones are awesome...all of them including Chip....what are you guys looking at? He is a great father and husband...killing too much, really? You haven't a clue...you just don't want to see killing at all...it's a lifestyle you definitely don't understand.  Glenn is awesome...smart...and not dull!!! I have nothing but positive thoughts about all even Sue...wow that is a rare breed of women....so smart I'd give anything to have her knowledge and skills.  These people amaze me and I feel honored to get pieces of their life living in such a harsh environment. ..

• Love 4

OK, I noticed that, for the second week, there was no mention of Sue.  I went looking for a reason on Dr. Google and learned she has filed a lawsuit against the production company alleging they had forced her to participate in a stunt that resulted in an injury and delayed her rescue in order to get more more footage of the incident and crash.  I suppose this was the crash when she was on the snow mobile and was thrown off and broke her collarbone. They must be editing her out of the show.  She's the only one I really care to watch so if she is gone, so am I.

Link:  http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/susan-aikens-life-below-zero-lawsuit-bbc-national-geographic-alaska-1201995336/#respond

Edit:  I see I have posted this in the wrong topic.  Sorry for posting info that was already discussed in Sue's topic.  

Edited by etexlady
  • Love 2

Sue's absence has been notable. There were a couple episodes earlier that showed her extended visit in the arctic refuge. Given her litigation against production, I wonder if the refuge footage was a kind of compromise? Even if she refused to shoot new footage in Kavik, it's odd that they didn't pull something together from the gazillion feet of footage they already have. I hope she's not gone - she's my fave, in part because she apparently does not trap for a living.

Glen works very hard, but compared to the others he comes off as a fictional character to me. Everything almost always goes perfectly for him, plus he's very pedantic and repeats himself a lot.

I'm happy Jesse is having some success. He started with nothing and has steadily improved his lot, and that of his dogs. I wonder if he received some sponsorship funds for his racing.

It was odd to me that they showed Agnes with so little firewood. Villagers come together in times of need and I would think her family and neighbors would be helping her out in Chip's absence. Plus she's extremely capable herself, as are her girls. I wonder how Chip's doing in the hoosegow. I loved seeing the grandbaby.

I've forgiven Andy his earlier curmudgeonly ways. Anyone who loves his dogs as much as he does isn't all bad. Andy is on his reality TV redemption arc, which I'd much rather watch then him yelling at Kate.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I've forgiven Andy his earlier curmudgeonly ways. Anyone who loves his dogs as much as he does isn't all bad. Andy is on his reality TV redemption arc, which I'd much rather watch then him yelling at Kate.

I came to the show later than most and missed the earlier seasons - never saw Kate, though I've read some about their split. Consequently, I've always liked him. I like watching him come up with innovations like the workshop, and really enjoyed his windsailing boat build. And yes, I enjoy watching him interact with his dogs, especially the two puppys. He really seems to enjoy his life style, even though it's a lot of hard work - and not cheap. Andy seems to want to live off grid, but at the same time has brought a lot of modern technology and equipment off grid with him - which makes him interesting to watch. 

OTOH, Glenn is taking the minimalist approach, which I find more than a little boring. How many times do we need to hear about how he would rather chop down a tree with an ax than use a chainsaw? Or watch him build a remote shelter, be it an igloo, tent, or a rock slab shelter on a ridge? Not only are his segments repetitive, but his comments are almost interchangable between episodes.

• Love 3

I never had a problem with Andy. Kate knew who she was living with and I figured that she would leave if she thought Andy was a problem, and she did. I do prefer Andy solo but he has not changed who he is as a person. I just don't think he is someone who is easy to live with.

I loved the igloo but the whole parachute gliding thing is a bit silly. So he is going to go out and hike carrying a pack full of a parachute and the necessary gear plus all his hunting gear? Suuuurrrrreweee. Or will he hike up and drop the parachute off at the igloo, go back and get his hunting gear and base himself out of the igloo? Not to mention it flies in the face of his minimalist approach and demonstrates all the reasons he drives some folks crazy. So he hiked out, went to the Continental US, trained on how to use the rig, and came back to Alaska. Look, I think it is kind of fun and neat and I wish him the best playing with it. And I love that he enjoys it so much but he really needs to own that all of this is a hobby of his and not a lifestyle. He does not live out there full time, he buys 90% of his gear, he has most of his gear flown in, and he picks and chooses what he does traditionally (not much) and what he does with modern conveniences (pretty much everything). He is the Bear of this show and it irks, mainly because I strongly prefer the Les Strouds of the world. Flash vs substance.

Bummer about Sue. I had not heard about the lawsuit before. I am not surprised that they insist on filming certain things and that it puts people at risk. I am a bit surprised that Sue has been in as many episodes as she has been since the accident.

• Love 3

I missed Sue so much.  She is the main reason why I watch the show.

I like Andy too.  I liked Kate and glad that she was able to move on to a happier life.

As for Glenn, same ole same ole.  No way to I believe that he tracked so far to get a canoe that he left a couple of years ago, yet it is a location that he has never been to before.  Sure.  Glenn is always the same thing and he does like to "toot his own horn".  Bring Sue back!

I stumbled upon this show and binge  watched via streaming. Question though...is this series over or is there a new season coming? 

Another thing is confusing me. It looks like Sue brought the lawsuit Feb. of this year. Wasn't she on the most recent season? 

Sue was on an episode or 2 but that may have been edited and in the can before lawyer action so who knows what is done with the footage shot last winter.

The Last Alaskans is one you'll want to stream and binge if you enjoy this show, it is an excellent, quieter show.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3

I loathe Glenn. Not only do I detest his unnecessary naked boy nub, but(t) I also cannot stand his condescending know-it-all BS. Thank goodness for the versatility of the Firestick remote. I now buzz through his segments with ease. I admit though that I would definitely pause if a brown bear decided it wanted a Glenn grub meal. One (if not THE) worst TV personalities I have ever seen.

• Love 2

After a couple of months break the latest episode aired this week was a bit odd. Basically a compilation show but only featuring Glenn and the Hailstones. One more ep left this season.

I'm guessing Chip may be back for new season and they will have to find a replacement for Sue.

• Love 1

They do these weird compilations every once in a while. I don't think any of it was new material. Chip was in it and there was no reference to everyone being happy that he was back and done with his jail sentence so I think it was all older material.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Erik is also a funeral home co-owner.

He and Martha Mae have a son, Lucas who has not appeared on the show.

http://www.blanchardfamilyfuneralhome.com/our-staff

Interesting. I am glad that they have not had their kid on the show. I wonder if that is part of the reason that they take long breaks. They don't want to be away from him and they don't want him on the show. It will be interesting if they show him when he gets a bit older and he is out hunting or fishing with Mom and Dad. I would never have guessed that he worked in the funeral business.

I don't mind Glenn as long as it is a short visit with him.  There are things that I really question about him, like going to get that canoe he left 3 years earlier over 20+ miles from his place, then saying that he was going to an area he had never been before.  WTH?

I really hope they keep Sue.  She is the main reason why I watch this show.  She has mentioned in the past that she was married, she has children and grandchildren but she prefers to be by herself.  As long as it works for them.  

I like Jessie too.  I think he and Sue are my favorites.  Andy doesn't bother me much.  He is like Sue, better off by himself.  I miss seeing Kate but so glad that she left and is now happy.  

• Love 1

I believe Glen holds back a lot of his personal life like to have a new born 14 days old and he leaves for the Bush? Not a great father, Sue is very special to me she has had some real pit falls but did what she needed to to right a bad situation! She has made so many improvements to her camp/ emergency fuel Station, making it up to date with machinery and if I understood her right move the landing runway so it’s not washed out every spring, her true honest concern for the pilots that need to land is sincere, she will do anything to keep that runway safe! Nothing she does is half assed. would like to know how I could have a private conversation with Sue! I really dislike showing replays of past seasons when your trying to look for and watch season 9, and please don’t put us off for 4 to 6 months with well it might be on again but there is no scheduling yet! The people want to see all of them, and I must say I read where a person said that skip is lazy, you are so out of line.He has built many slays and the big Stash house for the property she inhearited, he fixes the snow Mobil’s, 

helps with fishing except the once a year seal hunt because he is not a native full blooded. Alaskan, Americans can not kill elk swimming across water or kill a seal or a whale, but tribes have laws and treaties that go back to our founding fathers to not interfear with there ways of living and there rights to do so! Like the Indians! They actually need the seal oil in there bodies they cook and dip there food in the oil at every meal! They are very healthy people, and chip can not shoot certain animals but Agnes’s can! He cuts up the meat and he builds a smoker with wood he goes and collects finds different wood so all the fish will not taste the same, he cuts fire wool all the time! And most importantly he shows Agnes’s and his family he loves them he always kisses Agnes’s when he is going some place! He would do anything for his wife an family!  He is a stand up husband and a great father! Watch the reruns before you judge another human being, you don’t live in the same conditions as they do on a daily basis! Know more about who your putting down. Before you open your mouth to show us what a fool you are! Lisa

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Liszza7 said:

I read where a person said that skip is lazy, you are so out of line.He has built many slays and the big Stash house for the property she inhearited, he fixes the snow Mobil’s, helps with fishing except the once a year seal hunt because he is not a native full blooded. Alaskan, Americans can not kill elk swimming across water or kill a seal or a whale, but tribes have laws and treaties that go back to our founding fathers to not interfear with there ways of living and there rights to do so! Like the Indians! They actually need the seal oil in there bodies they cook and dip there food in the oil at every meal! They are very healthy people, and chip can not shoot certain animals but Agnes’s can! He cuts up the meat and he builds a smoker with wood he goes and collects finds different wood so all the fish will not taste the same, he cuts fire wool all the time! And most importantly he shows Agnes’s and his family he loves them he always kisses Agnes’s when he is going some place! He would do anything for his wife an family!  He is a stand up husband and a great father! Watch the reruns before you judge another human being, you don’t live in the same conditions as they do on a daily basis! Know more about who your putting down. Before you open your mouth to show us what a fool you are! Lisa

Who is Skip?  Or do you mean Chip?

• Love 2
On 7/22/2017 at 7:45 PM, NoJustNo said:

I think it may be a chicken/egg kind of thing. hahaha. He is a neat enough guy but why does he have to put down people who live in "civil-lie-zation" (as he says) and he doesn;t seem to get that he is privileged to be able to do that in the first place. 

I stand corrected , ( Chip ) I was up all night  and did not catch my mistake! If my health was better I would love to live a subsistence life style, I have wanted it my whole life!

No matter how I tried or would make a goal to do it, Something major would happen!  I still think about it just not the beautiful wood cabin with solar and a windmill with a creak near by, and a beautiful true refurbished stove with wood oven, storage spice coffee,oil,flour,rack, Cast Iron 1700’s for $700, but more then that i think a group of us would like  to see Glen build himself a new HOME! The one he has lived in for years is to small and showing a lot of age! And it’s better that he does it at this age then wait 10 years when it’s breaking down into fire wood!. And does anyone know if he has brothers or sisters? Where do they live? And his mom an dad? 

So I have thought about buying a Coachman RV-44ft. And checking out a few of the places I’ve always wanted to see, or just settle there for a while. I sure hope  NatGo doesn’t cancel the show, I will admit I find Glen to be very handsome. But he is not 25 any more and needs to except the fact that buying a hair saw to help himself out a little will give him a few more happy years to his life! And I still feel he could use a real husky dog that could pull a whole moose home for him instead of him making several trips, and it would give him some devoted friendship living So isolated!  Well I must get going I’ve enjoyed your company please write to correct me any time! ? Lisa

• Love 3
On 1/31/2015 at 9:58 AM, Inukun said:

Agnes and Chip are cool, I know them well enough.

Chip and Agnes are pretty much the same in life as they are on TV, but without background music and commercials.

They live like most people in villages around here. I live in Kotzebue about 65 miles West of Noorvik if you ride a snowmachine. Its longer ina  boat.

Chip is a stand back and enjoy it all kind of Man, he dosent boast but he really does talk.Hes good at explainging things, and hes a good man in his village. He was a cheif in his fire department, did something with the Red Cross, and had paprmedic training so on Search nd Rescues or accidents he was always a fist responder at the worst of times. Hes smart. Agnes is smart but very quiet.I often see her but shes not  a very vocal lady, although shes has a large family and carries alot of weight in her clan because she is sucessfull and kind, and very generuse, as well as very old fasioned and a model to the youth..

Its good they show her doing unique things, like Seal Hunting or Getting Mammoth Ivory from our Native lands (chip cannot dig wiith out a permit on our commonly owned lands) and Agnes passing down customs to her children as an Inupiaq woman does out of love and tradtion.Shes a real woman, even if very reserved, and she manages her house well.

It an artical I have to find, it was in the Arctic Sounder, our local news paper, about Chip turning in an Alaska State Trooper for assaulting his daughter and it seems they wrongfully convicted Chip to shut him up and cover up the crime. read this, it a big explanation why Chip is haveing to take Agnes along on his Hunts, and show her around more. He raised two sons as excellent Hunters who have their own familys that follow the life. I wouldnt doubt if the girls stay and prosper as well, I think Agnes is having some serious fun following Chip so much, they are best friends.Agnes also saw what happend to Chip so I see no hesitation in her to do what she must because he cannot legally touch a gun.

http://www.thearcticsounder.com/article/1452life_below_zero_star_appeals_perjury

Before Chip was convicted, he was quite a Hunter, and ,like most Men up here, he makes alot of his own equipment. They should show more of that.  Chip makes Box's, Caches, firewood, Spears, harpoons, sleds of all types, kids toys, tents, nets, ice picks, Ulu's knives, traps, boats clothing, home tanning and Agnes makes custmary fur clothing and art work worth tens of thousands of dollars.  Many time over  many years I have seen her happy at the bank here in Kotzebue when she gets paid.

They at one time had 7 of their children and a couple neices, and 33 meals a day to hunt,gather, and fish for, as well as keep the wood in the fire and dogs fed. These people still have fun, no matter what task God has handed them.

I belive Chip wrote this as one of his blogs , with video and pictures.I read it now and then and I collect all writing about our Region here. I researched the internet and found this site, and I want to share the truth about what is shown of the Hailstone's is about 100% and editing. I find their segment very documentry like.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/110992-A-calander-of-my-life-as-a-Subsistance-Hunter-Fisher-Gather-r

I think chip and Agnes are great parents and people, they are teaching the kids valuable information that they will benefit from if they choose to continue living the way of life the same as their parents. All these people saying negative and awful things about people they don't even know is just plane wrong!!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Just a reminder that a new season Of LBZ begins 1/1/18 with back to back episodes beginning at 8pm, check your local listing

Unfortunately, there's no indication that LBZ will be on anytime soon here in Canada.  Bummer!!  (We're usually behind the U.S. about a month!!)

• Love 1

There were two episodes that NatGeo said were new but they were mostly repackaging clips of old episodes.

The first was of the Hailstones and their life when Chip was in the pokey for 10 months.

The second features Glenn, Jessie and Andy.

Guess those will be the 4 featured this new season.

Thursday is the real new season with new episodes but my Comcast info has the episodes as repeats...dunno.

• Love 1

I got this link from his daughter; Chip has had his Felonys set aside. There's no expungement in Alaska, but he is no longer a felon.

DSCN8367.jpg

Good for him.

Edited by Inukun
  • Love 2

I do not think Chip has any prior criminal history, and from what I have read, he can say hes not a felon, and can purchase and use all kinds of guns now.

From what I understand, Agnes and the girls were right there when the ''incident'' happened, and they all agree that Chip told the truth about the Troopers assault on their daughter. I understand that Agnes was supportive of Chip because she was there and knew he told truth in court, I think she testified on his behalf. Besides, Agnes nor Chip had to tamper or edit with any audio tapes made,, so they didnt have anything to hide, unlike the two Alaska State Troopers.

I bet Agnes is relieved Chip is hunting again, without any restrictions, as he was a very successful Hunter before the conviction and before the show.

Ill ask people what they think, I havent seen the Hailstones in quite awhile, but they keep to themselfs still.

Edited by Inukun
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

And Chip is not a Felon now.

They do not have expungement in Alaska, but his case has been set aside.

Good for them, the whole Hailstone family, where ever the are today.

Chips daughter sent me his link.

DSCN8367.jpg

• Love 1

Saw a closeup of Chip on the show when he returned from his prison stint.  Man, he needs to take some of the money they have coming in and go see a dentist.  Do they not have toothbrushes?  Just plain nasty!

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Where are you guys watching from ... the U.S.?  I've looked all over my line-up here in Calgary & can't find anything.  HELP!!!

Can't answer for everybody, but it's been on my Oklahoma  Direct TV NGCHD Thursday nights at 7&8pm central time since January 4. Truth be told, I work nights and save up several episodes and binge watch... right now I have 6 episodes saved and not watched - looks like some weeks episodes were recorded back to back, and a couple weeks nothing recorded. Not sure if that was how it was shown or because I have it set to record when it won't conflict with other recordings.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1

In my area NatGeo  shows the new episode on Thursday, repeated on Tuesdays.

The back to back episodes are... one old then the fresh out of the box episode.

Then the new episode repeated on Tuesday.

Your MMV but just watch it ON Demand if you have that capacity with your cable package.

• Love 1