Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: A Sketchy Area

Airdate: October 10, 2018

Phil stumbles into an exciting new career after dropping by Luke’s college; while Claire deals with her dad, Jay, and the merger of Pritchett’s Closets with a tech-savvy, hipper company. Meanwhile, Mitch’s new high-profile case as an assistant district attorney is marred by an unflattering courtroom sketch by the resident artist.

Definitely had an early-seasons feel to it! I'm pleasantly surprised by this season so far.

FOX and USA have both been showing season 1 reruns this past week. It's stunning to see season 1 episodes where Luke is a dopey little kid and then see a new episode tonight where he's handsome and grown up. Sometimes I forget that this show has been on for almost a decade.

• Love 4

Jays advice to Alex was actually really good advice, and that whole scene was really sweet. I expected Phil to fail at teaching, but he was actually really good, and that was cute to see. Luke was a real asshole though.

The Cam and Mitch story was pretty good. I would totally like to get a drink at a lawyer bar with court drawings everywhere. 

I was dying at Claire rolling over everyone with the giant plastic ball! 

• Love 13

Midway through tonight's episode I was rolling my eyes with frustration. I was not a fan of the set-ups as they seemed to highlight everyone's worst traits. Jay's grumpiness, Mitch's superficial neurosis, Claire and Phil's steamrolling into acceptance.

But the payoffs were really well done. The highlight being Jay and Alex's "sit down" while sharing a glass of scotch. I would have watched an entire storyline that was just them talking. Sometimes I wish the show would let it's actors act. Alex's best stories have been when Ariel actually gets a chance to interact witch a scene partner rather than deal with a "wacky" premise.

The Phil reversal and Gloria pep talk were fun scenes too. And while I hated everything that happened in the courtroom, the debrief was fun.

Shame Dan Levy was reduced to such a slummy role

• Love 8

This was a really cute episode. 

The way the “professor” asked Phil, “What- - What’s on your mind?”

So what does real estate equal? 80% EC

I want to work at that closet company. Well, before Jay got there.

I got winner!

We don’t keep score.

the German version of Flerming

Alex is going to be a very nervous man.

By convincing the security detail there was a towel emergency...

”There’s a towel emergency.”

Executive level/floor, Jim... Kane

Gloria/Sofia was very funny with Claire. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

Are we really supposed to believe that Jay was a daredevil?  If so, there's no way Phil would have never brought it up over the run of the series.  It just seemed so out of left field.

I assumed that it was something no one in the family knew but Alex got it from the story.

• Love 7

I loved the story of the sketch artist.  Those drawing were hideous!!  I laughed out loud at the drawings, as did my hubby, who is not the biggest MF fan.

10 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

I generally like Luke, but he was unbelievable tonight.  So he wanted to take this opportunity Phil had away from him just because he didn't want to share a school with him?  WTF, Luke?!

No kidding!  Let your dad teach Real Estate, a job he LOVES and maybe inspire some students?  But you don't want to share a community college campus with him?  That was pretty self centered.

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

the German version of Flerming

That whole scene cracked me up - we can't have too many hurt feelings and obey our natural body cycles now, don't we?

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I loved the story of the sketch artist.  Those drawing were hideous!!  I laughed out loud at the drawings, as did my hubby, who is not the biggest MF fan.

He managed to make Cam look like a background player on Golden Girls!

8 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Shame Dan Levy was reduced to such a slummy role

But he maximized his moment before showing the CNN reporter his sketch, with a subtle toe-to-head-disdain-for-Mitch’s-look/outfit glance.

• Love 8

I LOVE Dan Levy on Schitt's Creek (it's really the only thing I've seen him in before this episode) so was super excited to see him in the episode and then was disappointed how 'nothing' of a role it turned out to be.  Oh well.  However, I did love Cam as a detective, so that was worth it.

I really liked Jay and Alex together-it reminded me of the episode from a few seasons ago when Jay told Alex the responsibility of the family would be on her once he was gone.

As for the selfishness of Luke at community college, I could see his perspective-sometimes Phil is just "too much" and Luke is trying to forge his own identity.  On the other hand, Luke and Claire have fed into the selfishness of their children.  

Overall, another good episode.  Even though we're still in the early stages of the season, I feel like this is a much stronger season than the last few ones.

• Love 8

What was going on with Claire’s blue and white skirt at the first meeting?   Was it supposed to look like that ?

i kind of understood Luke’s feelings about his dad being at his college.  Phil is sweet but his personality is so big it doesn’t really let others shine.  THat is no insult to Phil.  

Alex does have a pretty voice.   It’s difficult to imagine her going to open mike.  Her talk with Jay was sweet.  I’d like to see Alex have fun and smile once in a while.  

• Love 3

Those sketches of Mitch were hilariously bad.  He really did look awful. 

The Side Bar......great name

I didn't even realize that was Dan Levy until after the show.  Love him in Schitt's Creek. 

21 minutes ago, tribeca said:

What was going on with Claire’s blue and white skirt at the first meeting?   Was it supposed to look like that ?

i kind of understood Luke’s feelings about his dad being at his college.  Phil is sweet but his personality is so big it doesn’t really let others shine.  THat is no insult to Phil.  

Alex does have a pretty voice.   It’s difficult to imagine her going to open mike.  Her talk with Jay was sweet.  I’d like to see Alex have fun and smile once in a while.  

I was wondering as well about her skirt. I assume that was same other lame attempt on her part to seem younger and hipper.  And another fail at that attempt. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was wondering as well about her skirt. I assume that was same other lame attempt on her part to seem younger and hipper.  And another fail at that attempt. 

Yeah, the weird skirt with the chunky sneakers.  Really bad look and not "young and hip" at all. 

• Love 4

At first I was surprised Alex was going to give up years of academic achievement for singing but thinking about it, she only really liked being smarter than other people(specifically her family) but there was no indication of using that intelligence for something worthwhile. The only time I remember her enjoying something was playing cello in that band so maybe performing is her future.

The scene with Jay was sweet. I confess I thought "Why couldn't they say Evel Knievel?"

"Wow what do they pay men"?

Phil teaching real estate at college is the perfect job for him. He's always talking about his college days as the best in his life. Yeah, Luke was being very selfish but as someone who's embarrassed by his parents it's understandable and he came around.

That sketch of Mitchell was hilarious.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

This was a meh episode, which would have made it one of the better ones last season, but not nearly as good as the last one. Had several clever lines mentioned above and I liked the end reveal about Jay's daredevil past...which was mentioned as "used to have a motorcycle" with Javier in Up All Night and then again when he went to sell it inthe one with the garage sale when Phil crashed it.....but somehow the jumping part got left out!

I see nothing wrong with a boy not wanting his father to work at the same college he went to....especially when his father is Phil Dunphy who broke out his cheer routine and croaking on Haley's college tour and almost got Alex bounced out of Cal Tech....more than once.

No Manny, No Lily...No Haley....No problem!

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I found those fashion choices really distracting!!  Very odd skirt and shoes!!!

Ok, so I wasn't the only one baffled by that outfit and fanny pack. It also looked like she hadn't brushed her hair in quite awhile, I don't love that hairdo. It ages her. 

I also wish Ariel Winter would back off the lip injections. 

• Love 7
23 hours ago, jmonique said:

So, WTF happened with Phil and the Magic Shop?

I feel like the Modern Family writers figure we won't care, since they don't.

Exactly. Phil finds a new career. Yawn. 

Luke is a jerk, "I'm just Manny's hot cousin." 

This show is more and more #WhitePeopleProblems. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, WAnglais1 said:

Exactly. Phil finds a new career. Yawn. 

This show is more and more #WhitePeopleProblems. 

The show has always been rich white people problems

When it was actually funny though, we could overlook it. 

Now that the quality has declined, it just becomes a glaring mess of an issue, like with Phil's "magic shop". 

Or Claire seemingly taking weeks off over the summer despite being the head of a company

Or Claire being made the new head of the company because she is the owner's daughter. 

Or Mitch changing jobs seemingly every season, multiple times it seems he has been out of work, but never any money problems there

Or Cam getting a job as a head football coach as a substitute teacher somehow. 

None of their financial and professional lives hold up any any scrutiny

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The show has always been rich white people problems

When it was actually funny though, we could overlook it. 

Now that the quality has declined, it just becomes a glaring mess of an issue, like with Phil's "magic shop". 

Or Claire seemingly taking weeks off over the summer despite being the head of a company

Or Claire being made the new head of the company because she is the owner's daughter. 

Or Mitch changing jobs seemingly every season, multiple times it seems he has been out of work, but never any money problems there

Or Cam getting a job as a head football coach as a substitute teacher somehow. 

None of their financial and professional lives hold up any any scrutiny

I agree it is a lot of white people problems, for sure but:  A school that is obsessed with football WILL hire a quality coach from a sub pool, he will not have to be a fully licensed teacher.  My issue was Cam going from sub to admin in a few weeks.  Like......no, writers, that won't happen.

Mitch does stress about money, hence the renters.  I want to know how Claire and Phil never seem to worry about money, ever.  

The season seven premier was devoted to Mitch and Cam struggling with money, with Lilly being forced to eat a ketchep sandwich.

I want to know how Claire and Phil never seem to worry about money, ever.  

Phil was really worried about money after getting kicked out of his partnership, hence him really needing to sell that house that was turned out was full of bees. As for Phil and Claire's money situation, I get the impression that they are very, very comfortable now that both are working and she runs a company. She allowed him to run the magic store as a hobby knowing it'll likely lose money. Also, they had a coin toss to decide whther to either give the kids a safety net of buy a beach condo. In the begenning, they were probably upper-middle class, but now is propbably just upper.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, WAnglais1 said:

The line was “I’m just Manny’s hot nephew,” which I amused me.

I thought Claire’s outfit was her supposed to be trying to be young hipster and failing. She really should have asked Hailey for a look. 

While no 720 Entertainment I think Jean Ralphio would approve of the new company’s work space.

• Love 5
On 10/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

This and when Claire rolled over the guy with the diorama.

• Love 2

This was a pretty funny episode. I actually found myself really finding the Mitch and Cam storyline funny. I have been down about them in the past, but they work well when working  together for a common goal, rather then ragging on each other or hiding something.

Please tell me that I am not the only one who was worried that Phil was going to crash the car and die while talking to Luke on the phone. I know it would be extremely dark, but knowing someone is going to die has me looking for any foreshadowing or lead-up. Also; if Phil dies, this show is dead to me.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

This was a pretty funny episode. I actually found myself really finding the Mitch and Cam storyline funny. I have been down about them in the past, but they work well when working  together for a common goal, rather then ragging on each other or hiding something.

Please tell me that I am not the only one who was worried that Phil was going to crash the car and die while talking to Luke on the phone. I know it would be extremely dark, but knowing someone is going to die has me looking for any foreshadowing or lead-up. Also; if Phil dies, this show is dead to me.

I was admiring the driving in reverse skills going on. I can parallel park in one swing on both sides of the street, but I can’t reverse in a straight line, much less what Phil (or the stunt man) was doing.

• Love 2

This show is BACK.  I laughed out loud at the court sketches.  The artist himself was hilarious - as was the reason he was mad at C and M. The millennials in the new company were spot on.  And Phil is just always great. ❤️

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ErinV said:

This show is BACK.  I laughed out loud at the court sketches.  The artist himself was hilarious - as was the reason he was mad at C and M. The millennials in the new company were spot on.  And Phil is just always great. ❤️

If you think he was funny here, you need to find yourself a little sitcom by the name of Schitt's Creek. Dan Levy (son of Eugene Levy) is a treasure.

• Love 2

Honestly, I thought it was a bit of a parental fail for Phil to let Luke be the one to decide whether or not he'd take the job. Back in season 3, several people thought Cam and Mitch should get Lily's acceptence first before getting her a baby brother, and all I thought was "that's not how it works". And the same thing applies here, in that kids don't really get a say. If it makes Luke uncomfortable, then he's just have to deal with it like a grown up. I get that Phil always wants to be the cool dad, but his sense of positivity and inherent good nature clearly havesn't rubbed off on Luke.

• Love 3
On 10/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, tribeca said:

I think she was wearing a "tulip" skirt, just so she could tell Gloria about how everyone saw her panties (while rolling in the Zorb.)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

While I agree Ariel Winter has a nice voice, the whole Alex singing thing seemed to come out of nowhere, literally just shoehorned in so that AW could showcase a talent. I bet we never hear about this again.

She did used to be in a band. There was an earlier season episode where Claire and Hailey went to see her perform.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, quangtran said:

To a long-term watcher it didn't seem to come out of nowhere. There was her singing in a band, her regaling her family with a song in White Christmas, and Ariel proposing they do musical episodes.

I've watched since the beginning but don't remember any of that. I guess it never really seemed like a big part of the character to me.

• Love 4
On 10/10/2018 at 6:41 PM, Tasha Brand said:

I generally like Luke, but he was unbelievable tonight.  So he wanted to take this opportunity Phil had away from him just because he didn't want to share a school with him?  WTF, Luke?!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Luke was a real asshole though.

I got Luke's reluctance because Phil wouldn't just be teaching, he would be ALL OVER the school (as the final scene showed).