Type keyword(s) to search

S13 E10: The Next Level

ByTor
  • Start Topic

What I find weird about this season is that the over featured girl is usually someone you root for so that you're disappointed when they're cut or thrilled when they make it.

Other than annoying Taylor who hated her haircut I would say that has been the case. 

Not a single fan likes VK - they think she's not very pretty and not in great shape. That's before you even get to the rudeness, arrogance and immaturity. I'm genuinely sick of seeing her in episodes - I would way rather hear about other candidates (except Malena because enough about her already too). 

I feel like a format where you see group leader meetings with K&J and where K&J give more feedback to the girls would be better. Office visits are the best part of the show in terms of tension and the "all right see you tomorrow" theme is vvvv boring. 

Almost as boring as hearing the VK is a legacy.  

• Love 6
20 hours ago, sATL said:

putting on the controversial hat here for a second -

re: " ... she as a woman should know ... "

Is the consensus that as a women one is to know every major woman's issue that is going on, enough to state a clear and concise opinion? Which kinda implies that the men shouldn't or don't have to know.

I would admit as I get older that are are few women's health issues, that I don't know in great detail about, but know have to shift focus on to study. And being older (ie out of child bearing ), I know I can't recite chapter and verse about issues that younger women know. 

Age doesn’t relate to major news stories in my opinion. The reason women should know about this because it’s a movement started by women focused on stopping sexual assault and harassment. #metoo is supporting women to come forward as well and share their experiences. (It’s not what I would think of as a health issue like PPV for example.)

Not knowing about the movement is a clear indication that someone doesn’t know the news. This story has been impossible to miss if you pay any attention at all to the world around you.

Major entertainment figures like Harvey Weinstein were huge news stories and many men lost jobs because of sexual assault and harassment . I’m personally surprised that anyone hasn’t at least heard of this news.

It seems that Kelli was as well. She was ready to cut Taylor right there. They can’t take any risks with such an ignorant and uninformed girl who only checks Instagram.

Honestly, I bet she doesn’t ever make the team. 

Edited by rose711
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, dccfangirl said:

What I find weird about this season is that the over featured girl is usually someone you root for so that you're disappointed when they're cut or thrilled when they make it.

Other than annoying Taylor who hated her haircut I would say that has been the case. 

Not a single fan likes VK - they think she's not very pretty and not in great shape. That's before you even get to the rudeness, arrogance and immaturity. I'm genuinely sick of seeing her in episodes - I would way rather hear about other candidates (except Malena because enough about her already too). 

I feel like a format where you see group leader meetings with K&J and where K&J give more feedback to the girls would be better. Office visits are the best part of the show in terms of tension and the "all right see you tomorrow" theme is vvvv boring. 

Almost as boring as hearing the VK is a legacy.  

Victoria has been losing fans after it’s so obvious she should have been cut. I’ve said a few times that the season makes Kelli look weak and verging on incompetence as a director. That’s made me not like the season, because I liked to see Kelli and Judy as women managing a team. It was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

1 in 3 women, 1 in 6 men. 

We can not forget the 1 in 6 men. 

she didn't. 1 in 3 is double 1 in 6, so yes, women are predominantly the victims, but nowhere did she forget the male victims.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, rose711 said:

Victoria has been losing fans after it’s so obvious she should have been cut. I’ve said a few times that the season makes Kelli look weak and verging on incompetence as a director. That’s made me not like the season, because I liked to see Kelli and Judy as women managing a team. It was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

Kelli is already under pressure and under scrutiny for being a "boss" in what many consider a man's world, but she's been there for many years and, for the most part, has done the job admirably.  What's been her downfall so far is how she handled both last year's issues and this year's issues.  My gut says that, in previous years (before the show), Kelli would have been harder on the girls, more ruthless.   Heck, we've even saw her being ruthless in the early seasons, when girls were getting complacent or any number of other things.  However bad last season was with the girls, I think more people are looking at Kelli and wondering if she's lost something (and not just her mind).  Some would say she's getting too soft, she's not maintaining the standards she did in previous years (either with herself or with the girls) or any number of other reasons.   This season's focus on Victoria and how Kelli is handling the situation definitely is making Kelli look PRETTY bad in the court of public opinion (limited though it may seem) and the word may get back to her bosses, if it hasn't already.  They have to be wondering about her, but I REALLY hope that Kelli is not only wondering what happened, but HOW it happened and what she could do to make sure it never happened again.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Kelli is already under pressure and under scrutiny for being a "boss" in what many consider a man's world, but she's been there for many years and, for the most part, has done the job admirably.  What's been her downfall so far is how she handled both last year's issues and this year's issues.  My gut says that, in previous years (before the show), Kelli would have been harder on the girls, more ruthless.   Heck, we've even saw her being ruthless in the early seasons, when girls were getting complacent or any number of other things.  However bad last season was with the girls, I think more people are looking at Kelli and wondering if she's lost something (and not just her mind).  Some would say she's getting too soft, she's not maintaining the standards she did in previous years (either with herself or with the girls) or any number of other reasons.   This season's focus on Victoria and how Kelli is handling the situation definitely is making Kelli look PRETTY bad in the court of public opinion (limited though it may seem) and the word may get back to her bosses, if it hasn't already.  They have to be wondering about her, but I REALLY hope that Kelli is not only wondering what happened, but HOW it happened and what she could do to make sure it never happened again.

Kelli used to be about the theme of a girl bringing her best, challenging herself to be better, and always improving the team. I haven’t heard that sentiment the past two years. 

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Stee said:

1. Not knowing MeToo is about as dumb as not knowing what MAGA means or what a wall means, in that context. (?? Caila)

2. Not knowing MeToo is about as dumb as going out in blackface for Halloween. (?? Whitney I)

3. Victoria ignoring Jinelle is not just disrespectful to Jinelle but also disrespectful to Kelli. Kelli is the one who assigned Jinelle to help mentor Victoria. Regardless of whether Jinelle has had weight issues or not or how much knowledge she had to offer, it was Kelli’s idea. 

4. Kelli still never said the word “cut” to victoria. She said “you could go home” and danced around the idea but went out of her way to NOT use that word. 

Yeah, and Ill expand on that, Taylor’s response was up there with someone saying, “Michelle Obama’s book is coming out in November. You gonna read it?” and the person responding, “Michelle? Who is that?” Or someone asking, “you going to a Super Bowl party?” And responding, “ Huh? the what bowl?”

Seriously, there are some issues, figures, events, and stories that have either had so much coverage or have been so ingrained in the culture, that you just can’t miss it if you pay even a little bit of attention. Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Larry Nassar/USA Gymnastics/Mich State scandal, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Al Franken, Donald Trump , etc - and all this in the backdrop of the larger women’s empowerment movement that has gotten a lot of coverage with the women’s march, etc. 

I give Taylor credit for owning her error though. I believe that she took the criticism to heart and will come back stronger if she chooses to audition again. This is in contrast to VK, where it seems like criticism goes in one ear and immediately exits the other.

• Love 9

Now, on to the episode:

I thought it was very telling that, immediately after Kelli does her talking head about the Jinelle/Victoria situation and that she thinks there's some dishonesty there, they very next words out of her mouth when she's on the field with Judy are "Just based on media day, it pains me to think about who the logical cuts are" and the fact that she looks upset about makes me think that she KNOWS she has to cut Victoria at some point in the near future and doesn't want to have to deal with it.

I also thought that Victoria's 4th office visit was interesting.  She went in there smiling and happy, probably thinking that there wouldn't be a problem.  I think the "Y'all can't get enough of me" line was an attempt to diffuse her own nerves and probably sneaked out before she realized she was actually going to say it.  I've been there and done that to a degree so I applaud her for that, but the rest of her office visit was no fun for anyone.  Victoria looked somewhat upset and put out when Kelli told her what some of the responses were about her, but I agree with every one of those comments: "She's rough around the edges"; "She's not ready"; "She's immature."  Victoria needed to hear those things, but she wasn't ready to actually HEAR them and to believe that they could possibly be true. 

Some people might have seen Kelli's question about "Are you utilizing all the resources we've made available to you?" as a trap, but I think Victoria's response really hit home to Kelli that Victoria was not only an ambassadorial risk, a risk based on her overall physical appearance (weight and look), but a behavioral risk as well.  Victoria just LIED to Kelli to HER FACE and in front of both Judy and Jinelle as well.  Kelli did call her on that "Yes" response when she asked Victoria "Then why haven't you responded to Jinelle's texts?" which shows that Kelli knew something was amiss.  Admittedly, Kelli didn't seem to want to really address it (and didn't) because she didn't want to outright admit that she didn't want to think that her best friend's daughter might be lying to her but also couldn't pin the blame on a 5-year vet who has been the perfect DCC and seemingly nothing BUT honest.  Still, the fact that Victoria LIED to her face just cemented the fact that Kelli couldn't trust her, then to come up with the ridiculous excuse.  If Victoria wanted to go that way, then she could have name half a dozen girls she went to and worked with and, if she'd actually done it, they could back her up and things would have been better.  Not erased, because Victoria didn't bother to communicate with Jinelle about the situation at ALL, but better.

I took Victoria's comment of "I don't like the situation I'm in right now" as mainly about being confronted with her lies, her immaturity, and her inability to deal with her weight.  She was put on the spot, confronted and essentially told "You lied to us."  Any other girl would have been cut on the spot and told not to come back at all.  I like that Kelli said "You need to take a really mature approach to this as a JOB.  I don't think you're ready."  Victoria's face shows she thought there was a definite chance she could get cut (which she should have been) and it was a reality check for her because there was never really that threat there before.  All she heard were the words, but they never sunk in.  Until tonight.  They sunk in tonight and she was scared, as she should have been.  She finally faced the fact that her actions (or at least some of them) had consequences.  That had to be terrifying for her.

• Love 13

In my opinion, I think Victoria was more scared over the fact she was finally getting caught in her own lies than the fact she was scared she was going to get cut. It is finally catching up to her, and she is not happy about it.

59 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

In my opinion, I think Victoria was more scared over the fact she was finally getting caught in her own lies than the fact she was scared she was going to get cut. It is finally catching up to her, and she is not happy about it.

Yup. I really don't think she'd ever be cut, so she treats it like a game. more concerned she'll get in trouble for lying than the reality of being cut, and who can blame her? kelli reinforces that every single damn time VK gains more weight and doesn't lose it, when she blows off Jinelle, when she's immature, when she's childish, when she's overly familiar with her bosses, when she lies...every damn time, she gets away with it. what else is she supposed to glean from that than that she's bulletproof?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, rose711 said:

Kelli used to be about the theme of a girl bringing her best, challenging herself to be better, and always improving the team. I haven’t heard that sentiment the past two years. 

Now, I feel Kelli is more about the show than she is the team!  ?

• Love 7

I finally got to see this episode! Yay!

I know there's a lot of talk about Victoria and why she hasn't been cut yet. If any other TCC had gained 11 pounds, they would have been shown the door.  I do believe Kelli is slower to cut Victoria because of Tina being her best friend and her having known VK since childhood. But I also think she's in a no-win situation.  VK must have some serious dance skills to still be there, and must be pretty darn good at learning and retaining choreography. 

I felt horrible for Taylor regarding the #MeToo movement question. I don't have TV and I know about it from just surfing the web and MSN front page. But the flag football question threw me off. I haven't seen one iota of information regarding that.  I hope Taylor comes back, though. She was an amazing dancer.

Overall the episode was okay, but not one of my favs this season. :)

• Love 4

Random question: Is it normal to have so many rookies so far up in triangle? Bridget (a TCC) is opposite to Amy (a group leader)? I find it odd to give someone who isnt on the team yet that spot over a veteran 

also a huge fan of Erin and glad she’s being recognized!! It’s been great watching her bring it this season!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

No one guessed that and it would have been embarrassing that not 1 vet thought of it so she just said " no one is going to guess"  she went for the fake out, instead she fumbled!  

What sane person would do that? Kelli, Kelli, Kelli. You need a vacation.

• Love 4

I know I’m in the minority, but Victoria bothers me way, way, way less then she seems to bother most people here.  And if I’m being honest, I think the amount of attention she gets here is really disapportionate to how much she’s actually shown on the show.  I felt the same way last season — the Holly/Jenna drama seems to take over all the show threads.  As someone who is unspoiled, and who doesn’t keep up with these girls or what’s going on with the DCC outside of the show, it can make following along difficult. 

But back to the show,  I also really like that they have start showing how the triangle comes together. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, tanyak said:

As someone who is unspoiled, and who doesn’t keep up with these girls or what’s going on with the DCC outside of the show, it can make following along difficult  

I was in the same boat as you. I didn’t dislike VK from what had been shown in the first 7 episodes. A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet and jumped into the spoiler thread because it was getting difficult to have an unspoiled discussion in the individual episode threads with such a large volume of posts coming from a “spoiled” perspective. Once I read the spoiler thread, I understood the hate, and it finally hit the fan for all viewers this week. 

Being spoiled has ruined my enjoyment a little bit. Not really sure what can be done about it though.  No one was posting spoilers in the episode threads, so nothing wrong was done. But it wasn’t hard to tell something was up. I would recommend to just read the spoilers. It was better to be spoiled rather than confused about why people had such strong opinions about things I wasn’t seeing in the episodes. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, vivianspoetry said:

I was in the same boat as you. I didn’t dislike VK from what had been shown in the first 7 episodes. A few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet and jumped into the spoiler thread because it was getting difficult to have an unspoiled discussion in the individual episode threads with such a large volume of posts coming from a “spoiled” perspective. Once I read the spoiler thread, I understood the hate, and it finally hit the fan for all viewers this week. 

Being spoiled has ruined my enjoyment a little bit. Not really sure what can be done about it though.  No one was posting spoilers in the episode threads, so nothing wrong was done. But it wasn’t hard to tell something was up. I would recommend to just read the spoilers. It was better to be spoiled rather than confused about why people had such strong opinions about things I wasn’t seeing in the episodes. 

But I want to stay unspoiled. lol And also, Someone did spoil Dayton’s eventual cut.

I do wish there was a thread for unspoiled people who.only.watch.the.show. Haha.

• Love 2

I actually think it might be possible that Victoria truly did not realize how inappropriate her behavior was. If this is her first "job," maybe she didn't realize that treating the boss like Mommy's BFF in the workplace is not acceptable, even if that's what you do outside of the workplace. It's Kelli's job as director to shut that down as soon as it happens, but she not only allowed it, she positively reinforced it by rewarding Victoria with extra time, mentors, and warnings well past the point when anyone else would have been cut. I am shocked that Kelli's supervisor (Charlotte?) hasn't stepped in and gone over Kelli's head, since Kelli clearly isn't capable of doing her job when it comes to Victoria. Maybe she wasn't aware of what was going on. Either way, it's not a good look for Kelli.

Edited by blairwaldorf
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, tanyak said:

But I want to stay unspoiled. lol And also, Someone did spoil Dayton’s eventual cut.

I do wish there was a thread for unspoiled people who.only.watch.the.show. Haha.

See, someone who wants to stay unspoiled and doesn't go outside the box.  In the spoiler thread, we were discussing how viewers who don't want to know who made the team until they announce it on the show, will go to the girl's SM accounts and then throw a fit cause they posted that they made the team.  Or they go to the DCC Insta account and get upset cause there are game photos showing the girls.  How do they watch a game on TV??

This year was harder trying not to spill the beans while posting on an episode thread.  A lot more opinions, a lot more argu….I mean discussion, yeah, that's it, discussion:)  But I did notice that some who usually avoided spoiler threads came over to the dark side:)

• Love 5

I got spoiled about Erica’s cut last year and was so shocked about it I went to the spoilers.  I understand wanting to not be spoiled and that’s fair.

i don’t agree that the discussion of Victoria is unwarranted though. She’s been featured in every episode. She even had more to say about the first girl getting cut, than the cut girl did herself. 

This episode, for example,  we’ve barely seen any of Taylor all season and then she’s gone. But how much did we see Victoria, and she wasn’t even cut?

Victoria is shown a disproportionate amount and it’s made the show unbalanced. I prefer knowing more about several girls than just one. They seem to finally be addressing that a bit.

I'm guessing if you go back and watch, you might be surprised how much Victoria is shown compared to others. I think that’s what creates the view she’s being “shoved down our throats” that some people have developed.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Newmanbritt said:

Random question: Is it normal to have so many rookies so far up in triangle? Bridget (a TCC) is opposite to Amy (a group leader)? I find it odd to give someone who isnt on the team yet that spot over a veteran 

I am one who thinks it's amazing for a TCC to be up in the front.  If the team is truly a "World Class" dance organization, and each year the girls are auditioning to make the team, then every spot in the triangle should be up for grabs.  The best dancers to the front!  

Equally, there are TCC who make Showgroup in their rookie season when even group leaders or fifth year vets don't always make it (I think of Australian Angela as a prime example).  It's based on merit, not seniority.  

But answering your question, I don't think we've ever seen this make rookies so far forward.  I honestly think it's a combo of a really good rookie year, and a real lack of powerhouses in the remaining vets.  Even the Vets in showgroup are a bit... blah.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, rose711 said:

I got spoiled about Erica’s cut last year and was so shocked about it I went to the spoilers.  I understand wanting to not be spoiled and that’s fair.

i don’t agree that the discussion of Victoria is unwarranted though. She’s been featured in every episode. She even had more to say about the first girl getting cut, than the cut girl did herself. 

This episode, for example,  we’ve barely seen any of Taylor all season and then she’s gone. But how much did we see Victoria, and she wasn’t even cut?

Victoria is shown a disproportionate amount and it’s made the show unbalanced. I prefer knowing more about several girls than just one. They seem to finally be addressing that a bit.

I'm guessing if you go back and watch, you might be surprised how much Victoria is shown compared to others. I think that’s what creates the view she’s being “shoved down our throats” that some people have developed.

I watched the first six eps in one sitting, so yes VK was shown A LOT compared to other rookies.  It doesn't matter what is going on, they went to her for a sound bite almost every time.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I think it’s also getting harder and harder to maintain the DCC “standard” when more and more girls are coming to the realization that being a DCC isn’t really glamorous. It’s been said on other posts, but the lack of pay coupled with the strenuous time commitments really limits who can even try out for the team, let alone stay for years. It seems like they’re churning through girls like the NFL goes through running backs, and most of the squad is first and second years. I feel like something has to give.

I would pay the girls more, stick to a majority of the dances being the same year-after-year (so vets don’t need to spend as much time learning choreography), and either cut back on the non-game appearances or else focus on events that the girls enjoy doing. They need to incentivize women to stay on the squad longer than 1-2 years to maintain consistency. And let the women be women. Stop acting like it’s the 1950s. I think a lot of the etiquette and rules Kelli tries to enforce are outdated out of touch. 

And cut Victoria. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

The other time her favoritism reared its ugly head was with Loni in, I believe, season 2. She never got her kicks close to where they needed to be but they took her because she was pretty. And they even put her up front in the squad photo, which I though was supposed to be based on seniority. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, SSAHotchner said:

The other time her favoritism reared its ugly head was with Loni in, I believe, season 2. She never got her kicks close to where they needed to be but they took her because she was pretty. And they even put her up front in the squad photo, which I though was supposed to be based on seniority. 

Wasn’t Abigail up front in that one too?

9 hours ago, rose711 said:

Just so my previous post is fully understood, I wasn’t sugggesing that VK shouldn’t have been discussed as much as she was. She has absolutely been featured more than any candidate. What I wasn’t seeing in the episodes was the vitriol with which she was discussed. I could see why people didn’t like her, but wasn’t seeing the actions that led to such unadulterated hate. Something had to have been going on that wasn’t being shown on TV.  I was curious to know that inside info, similar to the Holly, Jenna, and Erica situations last year. That’s what led me to the spoiler thread, which did provide that context I was looking for.  A thread which also has very enjoyable discussions about other topics. So, while I wish I wasn’t spoiled, there have been some unexpected benefits. 

• Love 5

And let’s face it... Icktoria is the gift that keeps on giving. If you were a producer you would be following her around like glue wouldn’t you?? You know you’re guaranteed to get cracking footage of her behaving outrageously, and she is either too stupid or too immature or both to realise how it comes across.

Perhaps the heavy camera time did nothing but confirm to her how “special” she was, only to reinforce her entitlement.

I have no doubt that the production crew shamelessly played to her ego and she fell for it.

And let’s not pretend that we’re not all secretly living for the disgraceful spectacle she is making of herself.

Edited by Pinknblue
  • Love 8
On 10/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, jlc said:

I think I remember reading earlier on here that it was her choice. Lauren was uncomfortable with the photoshoot because of her job. She discussed it with Kelli, and she was allowed to go with her teammates, and just not do the actual photoshoot.

I was shocked this didn’t get more discussion when it happened. IMO if she cannot fulfill all the potential responsibilities of being a DCC (including the calendar), then she should not be one. People cannot pick and choose what aspects of a JOB to participate in based on personal preferences — regardless of how noble the rationale is.

This is hard for me to say because I have adored Lauren ever since her bread comment (still do), but this situation in particular seems wildly inconsistent and hypocritical.

I admire/respect her reasoning when it comes to maintaining a professional image in her nursing career, but then how do you support the project overall and all of your other best friends risking their professional image? 

Lauren and Lauren alone has a special enough job where she can request to skip the calendar? I’m surprised Kelli is okay with the idea that Lauren is ‘above’ anything DCC related. Lauren skipping it calls the tastefulness of the entire calendar into question. ie Kelli maybe we tone down the sexiness of the calendar so you aren’t asking your prized women to objectify themselves to the point of being afraid it will impact their professional image outside dcc? Or do we not care? ... except only care when it comes to Lauren?

Not to mention setting that precedent is a slippery slope. Posters here are already now asking why elementary school teachers would choose to participate. Lauren could have done a more ‘fun’ shoot versus a sexy one (as acknowledged seasons back by K&J for Mackenzie who smiled on a bicycle instead of ‘rolling around in the sand trying to be sexy’). Hell, put Lauren in a one piece even. We saw Rachel posing in them looking amazing. That’s more tasteful than the actual uniform itself.

I’m not sure why I care so much truth be told, but it just seems overall confusing/weird.

Edited by evasworld123

I think the DCC should just drop the bikini shoot and just have sideline/action shots of the cheerleaders in the calendar. Or shots of them in uniform or practice gear in different iconic locations.  

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, evasworld123 said:

I was shocked this didn’t get more discussion when it happened. IMO if she cannot fulfill all the potential responsibilities of being a DCC (including the calendar), then she should not be one. People cannot pick and choose what aspects of a JOB to participate in based on personal preferences — regardless of how noble the rationale is.

This is hard for me to say because I have adored Lauren ever since her bread comment (still do), but this situation in particular seems wildly inconsistent and hypocritical.

I admire/respect her reasoning when it comes to maintaining a professional image in her nursing career, but then how do you support the project overall and all of your other best friends risking their professional image? 

Lauren and Lauren alone has a special enough job where she can request to skip the calendar? I’m surprised Kelli is okay with the idea that Lauren is ‘above’ anything DCC related. Lauren skipping it calls the tastefulness of the entire calendar into question. ie Kelli maybe we tone down the sexiness of the calendar so you aren’t asking your prized women to objectify themselves to the point of being afraid it will impact their professional image outside dcc? Or do we not care? ... except only care when it comes to Lauren?

Not to mention setting that precedent is a slippery slope. Posters here are already now asking why elementary school teachers would choose to participate. Lauren could have done a more ‘fun’ shoot versus a sexy one (as acknowledged seasons back by K&J for Mackenzie who smiled on a bicycle instead of ‘rolling around in the sand trying to be sexy’). Hell, put Lauren in a one piece even. We saw Rachel posing in them looking amazing. That’s more tasteful than the actual uniform itself.

I’m not sure why I care so much truth be told, but it just seems overall confusing/weird.

Eh, I don't find it that bad. People ask at their workplace every single day to not do certain things, it's hardly uncommon.  Back when I was a PA, if there was something I was uncomfortable doing, for whatever reason, I raised it with my boss, and she always listened even if, occasionally, in the end I ended up having to do it anyway. Given we spent literally 24/7 together, we needed that sort of relationship where I could go to her annd vice versa.  Yes,t he calendar is a part of being a DCC but its not the most important by any means and the calendar is outsold by the sidelines one anyway, not to mention a few yeears back not everyone made it into the calendar anyway, used to be about 14 girls - front/back cover &12 months - so for the rest of the squad its a wasted trip anyway.  you can't go about pretending that you only hire the wholesome, girl-next-door, take her home to mom, good Christian girls, and then be surprised that some of them are uncomfortable (in the jobs or private lives) being photographed mostly naked by frankly unpleasant male photographers in utterly classless poses when you have a job that might make it difficult.  if the girls that are teachers or in any other profession aare okay with it, that's there look out. surely they have the same right to request not to do it.  We also don't know if it was just because Lauren herself didn't want to do it, or if her workplace was uncomfortable with it.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, tanyak said:

I know I’m in the minority, but Victoria bothers me way, way, way less then she seems to bother most people here.  And if I’m being honest, I think the amount of attention she gets here is really disapportionate to how much she’s actually shown on the show.  I felt the same way last season — the Holly/Jenna drama seems to take over all the show threads.  As someone who is unspoiled, and who doesn’t keep up with these girls or what’s going on with the DCC outside of the show, it can make following along difficult. 

But back to the show,  I also really like that they have start showing how the triangle comes together. 

I'm in the minority as well.  I really like Victoria and while she is more predominantly featured on the show than the others...she GETS way more "air" time here in this forum. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ElenaFR said:

I think the DCC should just drop the bikini shoot and just have sideline/action shots of the cheerleaders in the calendar. Or shots of them in uniform or practice gear in different iconic locations.  

I do remember Kelli saying a few years ago the Sideline Calendar was outselling the Swimsuit Calendar. And yes, all the girls may not make it into the 12 month calendars, but all the girls are probably featured in the 365 days a year calendar and the sideline calendar. I remembered seeing vets who were cut at finals or even during TC being shown in the daily desktop calendar. Of course, this probably changed this year since the shoot was done after auditions were over.

3 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

This is the best solution.  The uniforms are already sexy enough for me. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I don't think the average fan would ever recognize Lauren wasn't in the calendar.

Yeah, and I'm sure her teammates were secretly overjoyed that there was one less girl in the competition to make it into the calendar. I very much doubt that they'll have a bunch of girls opting out. Most of them are delighted to be a part of it. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Pinknblue said:

And let’s face it... Icktoria is the gift that keeps on giving. If you were a producer you would be following her around like glue wouldn’t you?? You know you’re guaranteed to get cracking footage of her behaving outrageously, and she is either too stupid or too immature or both to realise how it comes across.

Perhaps the heavy camera time did nothing but confirm to her how “special” she was, only to reinforce her entitlement.

I have no doubt that the production crew shamelessly played to her ego and she fell for it.

And let’s not pretend that we’re not all secretly living for the disgraceful spectacle she is making of herself.

I hate dogging on her, but love it at the same time. :) She is the 2018 version of Kathryn Dunn. ? This post is just too good...."the gift that keeps on giving", indeed!! ??

1 hour ago, vivianspoetry said:

This is the best solution.  The uniforms are already sexy enough for me. 

I am having flashbacks of Savvy's blue and white semi swim suit she tried on that shocked Judy. There is a lot to be said for leaving something to the imagination. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I hate dogging on her, but love it at the same time. :) She is the 2018 version of Kathryn Dunn. ? This post is just too good...."the gift that keeps on giving", indeed!! ??

I am having flashbacks of Savvy's blue and white semi swim suit she tried on that shocked Judy. There is a lot to be said for leaving something to the imagination. 

Indeed! I was always raised that its so much sexier to only give a taste than the full banquet. if you reveal leg, you don't clevage or back etc etc. a little hint is so much sexier than 'she's wearing three postage stamps and everything is out.  Sophia Loren was (and remains) sexy as hell covered head to toe, she didn't need everything hanging out! the promise of what's beneath is always more alluring than just showing it all

• Love 7
On 10/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, rose711 said:

Kelli called it “media simulation” when she’s describing it at the beginning of the episode. It’s really a test or evaluation, not a training.

Agree completely.

And while I think Amber is cute and talented, I'm a little worried for her future as an attorney if she can't connect the dots on the concussion/flag football question and where her answers lead. This is exactly what lawyers are skilled at doing!

6 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I liked Loni and am glad they gave her a chance.  She had a really good attitude if I remember correctly.

She sure did. I remember her saying that if she didn't make it, it wasn't because they didn't give her enough changes to improve. True humility and responsibility there! I miss that after several seasons of tears and "I worked so hard for this" bellyaching.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, Jess14 said:

I felt bad for Taylor, but I can't really say that her cut was wrong. If she had made a comment about "MeToo" that Kelii didn't like, that would be one thing, but not knowing? There's no coming back from. I actually think she made it worse when she said that she knew what she was talking about but just didn't know the name. Honey no! Just like you can't say that you know about the movement against police brutality and systematic racism against black people, but you don't know what Black Lives Matter is, not knowing what the MeToo movement is just isn't going to work. 

agree 100%. It would have been one thing if she had said "I know it but my mind just went blank"--but she double downed on not knowing the phrase. And saying I know what it's about but not the name was really bad. It's like wanting credit for knowing what sexual assault it.

I also don't feel sympathy because who tries out for this without watching the show? You know there is an interview to get into TCC and current event questions come up. You know they do the media simulation part. So, if you've made it this far with no awareness of current events, you've got time to read a little.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, Ema said:

Who’s faces are the ones blurred on the wall?? And why? 

It's most likely Erika Wilkins...the former DCC suing the organization. 

6 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

They need to market them to women. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

I hate dogging on her, but love it at the same time. :) She is the 2018 version of Kathryn Dunn. ?

Nah - really?? I see VK and KD as being in completely different boats: I wasn’t particularly irritated by KD. Icky is a whole different level of entitled and unprofessional than we’ve ever seen before, and don’t get me started on that unkempt tangled mop on her head!

KD may have been overly emotional and subsequently overreactive to people’s opinions of her, but she never crossed boundaries of appropriate conduct quite like the Ick does every 2 seconds...

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Pinknblue said:

Nah - really?? I see VK and KD as being in completely different boats: I wasn’t particularly irritated by KD. Icky is a whole different level of entitled and unprofessional than we’ve ever seen before, and don’t get me started on that unkempt tangled mop on her head!

KD may have been overly emotional and subsequently overreactive to people’s opinions of her, but she never crossed boundaries of appropriate conduct quite like the Ick does every 2 seconds...

No, but she was phony AF. 

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

It is now a staple for NFL cheerleading squads to do a bikini calendar. It is revenue generating, big revenue generating, so no, that’s not going to happen.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tinabee1967 said:

No, but she was phony AF. 

True. I found it easy to ignore her (KD) for that reason. 

Ick doesn’t seem particularly phony to me - more incredibly rude and entitled... and that gets under my skin. Lol.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

It is now a staple for NFL cheerleading squads to do a bikini calendar. It is revenue generating, big revenue generating, so no, that’s not going to happen.

I wouldn't say never, but I wouldnt be surprised if it, or cheerleaders in general get nixed sooner rather than later (though not for a while I suspect). tey're not there to entertain, not really.  they're there to titilate, let's be real. they're there predominantly for men, most of whom wouldn't know a well-executed dance routine if it bit them on the ass. if ti was about the dance, they wouldn't be so proud of uniforms that are less than a yard of fabric. girls wouldn't have to maintain stringent weight and appearance criteria.  its about sex. and in today's climate, increasingly, that's getting to be a harder sell with people, especially women, becoming increasingly uncomfortable with, and angered by, being viewed solely as a sex object.  now, of course thats not to say that there aren't still more than enoug women happy to stride out there for the 'legacy' and 'iconic' uniform, but for all the show keeps harping on about how many hundreds of girls turn up to audition, I'd swear the audition pool gets smaller and smaller every year, and the fact the bikini calendar is outsold by the sideline suggests to me its not as much of a revenue earner as theyd like to think it is. In the last two years alone, the amount of stories, in large newspapers not just blogs, about nfl cheerleaders being a misogynistic relic that has no place in today's society have become countless.

On top of that, the amount of really poor press from former nfl cheerleaders, across numerous teams, and increasing lawsuits against teams, sooner or later, they'll either have to clean up their act and pay more and stop encouraging things like EDs, OR they'll throw in the towel and end their cheerleading squads, like the Buffalo Jills after lawsuits

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 5

The sideline calendar seems like the more economical version of the calendars. They already have the uniforms, and there’s no travel or lodging costs. Furthermore, it’s just more natural for the girls (half of them look awkward in the swimsuit shoots), and more unique in the actual uniform. Swimsuit calendars are a dime a dozen, and I’m sure many have superior photography to what the DCCs are putting out. Of course, I fully admit that I’m not the target audience. Perhaps there are lots of men out there who really look forward to buying it each year. 

• Love 2