Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E05: Week 3: Most Memorable Night

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

You're stating your opinion, not facts. I visit other DWTS sites/pages/boards and have seen scoffing at people who try to make it a race thing. It's all about opinions and perception, and everyone has their own ideas of both. All I'm saying is this automatic assumption that if someone doesn't like a black female contestant it's a racial thing is not necessarily the case. It's not for me.

I'm done with this subject as I don't want to get the mods mad at me. :)

It is because people come up with the same tired dog-whistle reasons. Every.Single.Time.

And because as a Black woman in the workplace, I see and hear the same thing. The truth is there for those willing to see it.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 10

Just a quick thought (though I tend to side with @Toonces464) because I'm also sick of the assumption black women draw the short end of the stick on DWTS because of their skin color.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I don't particularly care for Tinashe on DWTS (having no exposure to her beforehand, she could be a perfectly lovely person). I don't think that makes me racist. I also don't care for Bobby Bones (also not having any exposure to him, either, maybe he's not so spazzy in real life), but I don't think that makes me sexist.

That's where I'll leave it, because I also know I'm not changing any minds. But if the complaint is the negative generalizations about POC women, maybe we also need to realize the generalizations about the white people making them aren't helping the situation. Not everyone has malicious or nefarious intent. And accusations are just going to escalate the situation.

Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, McManda said:

Just a quick thought (though I tend to side with @Toonces464) because I'm also sick of the assumption black women draw the short end of the stick on DWTS because of their skin color.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I don't particularly care for Tinashe on DWTS (having no exposure to her beforehand, she could be a perfectly lovely person). I don't think that makes me racist. I also don't care for Bobby Bones (also not having any exposure to him, either, maybe he's not so spazzy in real life), but I don't think that makes me sexist.

That's where I'll leave it, because I also know I'm not changing any minds. But if the complaint is the negative generalizations about POC women, maybe we also need to realize the generalizations about the white people making them aren't helping the situation. Not everyone has malicious or nefarious intent. And accusations are just going to escalate the situation.

You said so eloquently what I wanted to say. Thank you.

• Love 4

Watching on delay, and paused before the results to get my thoughts down...

Mary Lou-Wow, I never knew that about her knee, what an impressive comeback! Her dance was pretty, but a little rough in spots.

Milo-That was fun, entertaining, and looked effortless. Plus, he just seems like a good, down-to-earth kid. Great job!

Nancy-Seemed like a little too much of her just standing there, but otherwise a nice dance. Poor Val, Erin put him on the spot and he looked kind of uncomfortable.

Alexis-That was an emotional and beautiful dance.

Evanna-Hmm, I don't know why, but the music actually took me out of the dance. She danced well, it just didn't touch me like some of the other dances have.

Joe-Ugh. While I will admit(grudgingly) that this dance was better, it is still time for him to go.

Juan Pablo-Nice samba rolls. That was a great dance, but while I can see him making it to the finals, I can also see him getting lost in the pack. His reaction to the scores was priceless, though I still don't think 10s should be given out this early.

John-He's not the best, but he's not the worst. That was a decent dance, and I hope he sticks around for at least a couple more weeks.

Bobby-Where do they hide out all night when everybody else is in the sky box? Well, at least he calmed down. I wasn't impressed with the content, but it wasn't horrible.

Tinashe-Ok, first of all, Brandon needs a better anti-perspirant. Secondly, to me this dance was just meh, and it seemed really short. After hearing the judges comments, I re-watched it to see what I missed. I still don't get what was so fantastically great about it.  I liked her other dances better.

DeMarcus-Was he the only one that they didn't show watching their pre-dance package? And wow, that was powerful, but again seemed short. Maybe it's just me?

And now, off to watch the results.

Holy crap! I can't believe they put Tinashe in jeopardy! Maybe she's not getting the votes and they are hoping to spur people into voting for her.

Between the two, Nancy was definitely the right one to go, although I wish it had been Joe.

Edited by marykat71702
added my results reaction
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2018 at 9:01 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I have a bad feeling that Joe will have Nancy as tonight's sacrifice because of his rabid fanbase. 

You called it! 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:10 PM, SHD said:

I'm hoping Joe is really in danger every week but they're not putting him in the announced bottom two so that his fans don't rally votes. Lure them into a false sense of security.

Oh, please let this be true!

• Love 3

Am I the only one that didnt care for Alexis contemporary?? I don't know what it was but I was more moved by her prepackage than the dance so I can understand why it didnt get all 10s or even straight 9s. I love alan but contemporary is not his thing. Like Bruno said earlier this season, u cant have everything going for you.

15 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

And now, off to watch the results.

Holy crap! I can't believe they put Tinashe in jeopardy! Maybe she's not getting the votes and they are hoping to spur people into voting for her.

Between the two, Nancy was definitely the right one to go, although I wish it had been Joe.

I dont think she was the real bottom after talking with someone on it because Tom didnt even say with judges scores and least votes of last week when he called their name. I think she was put there to get people to vote more like they did Alexia earlier this season but still I hated to see her in the bottom. I hate to see good dancers go home early over terrible ones like Joe.

• Love 1

If Joe has been in the real bottom two every week, then think about the odds of always finishing second to last even as the number of your competitors dwindle. Why, at the rate he's going, he'll finish in second place. I'm more inclined to think that he's been helped by Bachelor Nation at least one of these weeks.

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 9:27 PM, Uke said:

This is ridiculous! One dance then 4-5 minutes of commercials then one dance then another 4-5 minutes of commercials, etc!

This is why I watch on delay on Hulu :)

And avoid spoilers!

Edited by marykat71702
Added something
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

This is why I watch on delay on Hulu :)

And avoid spoilers!

I watch it on Hulu too or I wait until the first hour has aired, and then I start watching it on my DVR. No commercials either way!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I dont think she was the real bottom after talking with someone on it because Tom didnt even say with judges scores and least votes of last week when he called their name. I think she was put there to get people to vote more like they did Alexia earlier this season but still I hated to see her in the bottom. I hate to see good dancers go home early over terrible ones like Joe.

Many of us have been saying this. Even if she wasn't in the real bottom, they put a warning up that she's not getting big votes. The ones who are frontrunners in votes don't get put into jeopardy as early as week 3.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, McManda said:

I certainly don't think you are a racist for not liking Tinashe. I think the point people were trying to make is that the general voting audience for this particular show aren't going to vote for a black woman. BTW I'm not black and that's my observation. 

That said, I don't think the producers are racist. They sign plenty of contestants of color. The thing I don't get is why there is very little diversity among the pros. I think the show definitely needs a boost and maybe some diversity would draw in some new fans.

• Love 6

Kids watch this show? And kids so young that they have an 8 p.m. bedtime? And those kids would vote? Surprising, if true. I view DWTS as more of an "old(er) person" show. Not that they can't appreciate a 17-year-old's talent. By older, I mean people old enough to decide for themselves when they go to bed.

They watch. Not sure they vote though. I know my friend told me her 10 year old nieces love the show and they loved Jordan Fisher a few seasons ago. However, not sure they ever actually voted for him. 

Am I the only one that didnt care for Alexis contemporary?? I don't know what it was but I was more moved by her prepackage than the dance so I can understand why it didnt get all 10s or even straight 9s. I love alan but contemporary is not his thing. Like Bruno said earlier this season, u cant have everything going for you.

Not sure if the problem was Alan's choreography but I will say I am not in love with Alexis' dancing and I think it's because she has this problem that I call dancing "too pretty". In other words, she has some gorgeous lines and shapes and she's certainly a good dancer. But I never feel like she truly gets into the ground with her movement and truly embodies the music and the style. It's all very delicate and well, pretty and nice. I don't know if it's because of her years of ballet training but whatever it is, it's the reason I am never in love with her performances. It's similar to why I wasn't a big fan of Melissa Rycroft - well that and I still say that woman's hip movement sucked. 

• Love 1

I can't say if I liked Alexis contemporary because I watched her package, felt the emotion from that, and then my brain just sort of automatically tunes out any run of the mill sappy emotional contemporary.  My brain didn't even register the dance or what she did.  I don't hate contemporary when it's interesting contemporary, but I hate the sort of "pretty" run of the mill emotional numbers that are often choreographed by people not overly skilled in choreographing contemporary.  Probably because they all look the same to me. That is one place I miss Allison on this show.  She wasn't cut out to be a ballroom pro, but she could at least give us interesting contemporary numbers.  I remember liking the one she did with Riker a lot.  I don't doubt Alexis and her emotions were real, but not a fan of the overwrought contemp numbers in general.  Give me interesting movement. 

I have no idea if younger kids vote...probably not much.  I was just throwing it out as a possible reason for Milo's placements.  I think though "young" depends on what we mean by young.  Are little kids voting? Probably not.  13 year olds that are very much the age to be hardcore stans of people and who live on the internet and social media, yes...I can see them voting.  However the opposite side is there was once a time where being a 13 year old watching Disney Channel was relatively normal.  Disney is popular, but not nearly as popular as it was in its peak, so now I have no clue where their audience ages out.  I think it's probably no longer cool to be a young teen still watching Disney.

I'm sure Milo's fans skew younger, but he could still win. He probably has a similar fanbase to Jordan, and he won.

It makes you wonder how many people actually vote. I watch and enjoy the show, but I'm not invested enough in the outcome to vote. I wonder if TPTB will ever release the numbers. They release them for sports all-star voting, so why not DWTS?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

They watch. Not sure they vote though. I know my friend told me her 10 year old nieces love the show and they loved Jordan Fisher a few seasons ago. However, not sure they ever actually voted for him. 

Not sure if the problem was Alan's choreography but I will say I am not in love with Alexis' dancing and I think it's because she has this problem that I call dancing "too pretty". In other words, she has some gorgeous lines and shapes and she's certainly a good dancer. But I never feel like she truly gets into the ground with her movement and truly embodies the music and the style. It's all very delicate and well, pretty and nice. I don't know if it's because of her years of ballet training but whatever it is, it's the reason I am never in love with her performances. It's similar to why I wasn't a big fan of Melissa Rycroft - well that and I still say that woman's hip movement sucked. 

I think tweens watch and vote since they're really into social media.  Not sure how big Disney and Nickelodeon is anymore since my children are adults.  However, when they were younger, those channels were always on at my house.  So I knew a lot of the shows and the stars.  Therefore, I can see parents of kids knowing Disney actors.

I don't mind pretty dancing depending on the dance.  I thought Melissa did look pretty in contemporary or standard dances.  But just like you, I didn't like her in Latin dances.  Hated her hip movement, legs, and feet.  To me, the problem with Alexis is that she's too timid of a dancer.  She has beautiful lines and is flexible.  While she's certainly better than a lot of other dancers this season, she would be even more so if was a better performer.  For example, her Big Booty number last week was clean but she needed to be more fierce and own it.

I do agree with posters that said that Alan's contemporary choreography is run of the mill.  But that's what I expect from the ballroom pros on DWTS.  I think he does great ballroom choreography.

With that being said, it seems like the general audience likes voting for males.  I can see an all male final with maybe one female sneaking in.  Before this week, my favorites were Milo and Tanishe.  I was leaning towards Milo winning just because I do see the general audience voting for him over Tinashe.  I thought Pablo was good but he didn't stand out to me until his samba.  That was a technically difficult samba for this show.  He did samba rolls, batucadas, etc.  I just need to see how well he does in Standard styles more.  OTOH, I also thought Milo was good in the first week but really stood out with his Charleston last week.  Evanna is growing on me.  I love her personality and it would be cool to see Keo win.  After this season, he'll probably get a dud again.  DeMarcus is good and he's really strong.  But he doesn't catch my eye like Rashad did right away. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I think tweens watch and vote since they're really into social media

Social media yes, but not Facebook, which is the only social media platform the show still uses for voting. These kids are into Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, etc. Get them to trend something - that they can do. Pick a phone and vote or go on Facebook to do it, not so much. That's why with the exception of Jordan, many of the Disney kids or contestants with strong tween/teen fanbases, haven't won. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Social media yes, but not Facebook, which is the only social media platform the show still uses for voting. These kids are into Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, etc. Get them to trend something - that they can do. Pick a phone and vote or go on Facebook to do it, not so much. That's why with the exception of Jordan, many of the Disney kids or contestants with strong tween/teen fanbases, haven't won. 

Don't forget that Jordan was 23 - six years older than Milo. He sounded mature for his age and also did Hamilton on Broadway - hence the LMM connection. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I agree that current teens/tweens aren't into facebook, but I do think tweens would get online to vote if that is the only way to do it.  Just because the kids aren't into facebook doesn't mean they don't have accounts.  It takes two seconds to go on there and vote and you can get out without reading anything. 

But the part that I don't think is entirely fair is the whole rarely have Disney kids won.  That is technically true, but Disney kids aren't usually early exits either.  They might not win, but we've seen plenty of people with Disney connections be the runner ups of their season.  Corbin, Zendaya, Kyle Massey, Riker Lynch.  Others have wound up in 3rd or 4th (Monique Coleman, Chelsea Kane, and yeah I remember the boost they gave Chelsea to get there).  You have your Sabrina Bryan shock boots or the mess that was Jake T. Austin, but most Disney kids make it pretty far.  So in that sense it implies that these people do have pretty big fanbases voting for them, whether it comes from younger fans or older DWTS watchers.  They just haven't had enough to make it past the eventual winner.  Zendaya coming in 2nd doesn't imply she didn't have massive fan support.  It just means she didn't have quite as much as Kellie Picker (voting controversy aside that season), but she had more than everyone else.  Also often Disney kids are also saddled with the ringer backlash.  Again, see Zendaya.  I distinctly remember watching hordes of grown women on the internet who worship at the cult of Hough making direct attacks on a 16 year old girl and insisting she was a trained ballroom dancer because she once appeared in a 30 second Disney commercial with Derek, when if she had been paired with him that season, they would have been worshipping her.

However the question I have with Milo again just goes back to Disney Channel not being quite as popular as it was.  Kyle was on one of Disney's most popular shows and adults probably knew of him as a default from watching with their kids.  Corbin and Monique, the hugeness of High School Musical, etc.  Zombies was promoted pretty widely but I don't think its ratings were great, but then again all tv ratings are down from where they were.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, McManda said:

The issue that I have is the same generalization has been made about a certain type of woman who is of African-American descent. She is cocky, arrogant, has an attitude.  When you see the same comment over and over, not backed up by example just a “feeling”, it is not a reach to believe race is the motivation. Mya, Zendaya, Tinashe, Brandy, Normani ... all labeled with some version of this tired reality TV trope.

My problem is not that some people do not like these women, to say that is the issue is a pivot.  My problem is that these women are so often labeled in the same negative fashion. Black women who are confident and capable are so often seen in a negative light.

Pointing this out and speaking on it is not the problem. 

Lack of “nefarious “ intent is not absolution.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, spanana said:

I can't say if I liked Alexis contemporary because I watched her package, felt the emotion from that, and then my brain just sort of automatically tunes out any run of the mill sappy emotional contemporary.  My brain didn't even register the dance or what she did.  I don't hate contemporary when it's interesting contemporary, but I hate the sort of "pretty" run of the mill emotional numbers that are often choreographed by people not overly skilled in choreographing contemporary.  Probably because they all look the same to me. That is one place I miss Allison on this show.  She wasn't cut out to be a ballroom pro, but she could at least give us interesting contemporary numbers.  I remember liking the one she did with Riker a lot.  I don't doubt Alexis and her emotions were real, but not a fan of the overwrought contemp numbers in general.  Give me interesting movement. 

I have no idea if younger kids vote...probably not much.  I was just throwing it out as a possible reason for Milo's placements.  I think though "young" depends on what we mean by young.  Are little kids voting? Probably not.  13 year olds that are very much the age to be hardcore stans of people and who live on the internet and social media, yes...I can see them voting.  However the opposite side is there was once a time where being a 13 year old watching Disney Channel was relatively normal.  Disney is popular, but not nearly as popular as it was in its peak, so now I have no clue where their audience ages out.  I think it's probably no longer cool to be a young teen still watching Disney.

My daughter is 15 and watches the Disney Channel. She has watched it since she was little and still loves it. She is rooting for Milo and likes that zombie movie that he is in. I know she has voted for him, but I really don't know if she has every week.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, McManda said:

I don't hate Tinashe, but I am not enjoying her on the show. It has nothing to do with race though. The main reason is that I have never heard of her. I do think she would have been better off with a pro that is known though. I am not familiar with Brandon either. They are dancing fine, but I just don't have much interest.

• Love 4

Just like Milo had his Charleston and Pablo has his samba, I think Tinashe needs a moment.  As I previously mentioned, I thought Milo and Pablo were good but those two dances made me notice them more.  Tinashe was so good in the first show that her wow moment has to be at a higher level than other dancers.  For Jordan, I liked a lot of his dances but his trio with Corbin was my favorite.  For Lindsey, the first dance that I really liked was her robot AT. 

• Love 3

I loved Jordan but I think what was a huge contribution to his win was Lindsay. People were really rooting for Lindsay to finally win, then she was paired with Jordan and it was like magic happened. They created so many enjoyable dances. Jordan also had the Hamilton recognition. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

I loved Jordan but I think what was a huge contribution to his win was Lindsay. People were really rooting for Lindsay to finally win, then she was paired with Jordan and it was like magic happened. They created so many enjoyable dances. Jordan also had the Hamilton recognition. 

Oh, I definitely think that people wanted Lindsay to win and Jordan was a worthy winner because of their dances.  I wouldn't have wanted her to win with David Ross.

With Tinashe having Brandon, not only does he not have a big DWTS fan base but nobody is going to say it's time for him to win.  I just made my comment of Tinashe having a wow moment because there are a lot of good dancers this season.  So it would help if she had a dance that really stood out from her other dances and from other contestants.   

• Love 4

I'm not denying that our society has race and gender problems which are made obvious by popularity contests, but that doesnt mean everyone who doesn't like Tinashe best is racist.  I thought she was a bit smug over Britney although she tried very hard not to come across that way (I didn't really fault her for it, but I could see how others might), but last week she was just great.  However, Brandon is choreoing really good dances and difficult choreo, he still isn't catching me with it.   I have never liked him at all (I don't dislike him) but I wish him well.  I just think he's missing something and he needs to figure it out.  Alan is doing better but only because he's decided to be kinda artsy-fartsy with it.  Neither have quite sussed the necessary dynamics or something.  And I find it super interesting that I can't put my finger on how they are both boring me (although Brandon is boring me a lot more, and annoyingly, he has the better dance partner).

• Love 4

I'm still in wait and see on Brandon, but it's early going.  I was more impressed with his work over on DWTS Jrs. week one so far than here, but that has nothing to do with Tinashe.  His choreography has been fine, but I also haven't been wowed yet.  But again, that has nothing to do with Tinashe.  I don't really have much of an opinion on her yet, which is probably worse than me having a strong opinion.  Then again I don't have a strong opinion on a lot of the competitors this season.

I don't know if this is totally true, but I did see someone say elsewhere that when they were perusing the Facebook fan comments this week that random fans seemed more anti-Brandon than Tinashe.  Meaning they weren't complaining about her, but were complaining about him coming off cocky and etc.  Mind you I have no idea what that is based on exactly.  I haven't seen anything particularly cocky from him, but who knows.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, spanana said:

I'm still in wait and see on Brandon, but it's early going.  I was more impressed with his work over on DWTS Jrs. week one so far than here, but that has nothing to do with Tinashe.  His choreography has been fine, but I also haven't been wowed yet.  But again, that has nothing to do with Tinashe.  I don't really have much of an opinion on her yet, which is probably worse than me having a strong opinion.  Then again I don't have a strong opinion on a lot of the competitors this season.

I don't know if this is totally true, but I did see someone say elsewhere that when they were perusing the Facebook fan comments this week that random fans seemed more anti-Brandon than Tinashe.  Meaning they weren't complaining about her, but were complaining about him coming off cocky and etc.  Mind you I have no idea what that is based on exactly.  I haven't seen anything particularly cocky from him, but who knows.

I think the problem w/ Brandon is that I don't think he and Tinashe have a particularly close friendship yet. Milo/Witney, Alexis/Alan and Demarcus/Lindsay all seem to be really fast friends already. Their body language when they're getting judges critiques seems a little distant, as if they've only known each other a few days. 

• Love 3
On 10/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Loved Milo's performance. Although reading that tweet he made about hurting his leg made me worried about that very high back flip. That said, much as I loved the number, I can't be the only one who noticed that Witney jacked a bunch of elements from Amber and Derek's freestyle which was danced to the same song. I guess she's banking on most not remembering the dance since it was many seasons ago. But since I loved Amber and that freestyle remains one of my favorite from all the seasons, I noticed this right away. 

Lol, I paused the show and made my daughter watch Derek and Amber's freestyle after Witney & Milo danced! There were some similar elements but not enough that I can say she copied...and Witney's a really good choregrapher (generally) so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that the song lends itself to a certain style. 

On 10/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, boyznkatz said:

I would be okay with Juan, Milo and Demarcus. I don't care if they are men or women, as long as they are good. I wouldn't waste my time with Bobby or Joe taking up a third of the final, though. I hope they are long gone by then.

A good point that's been made before - when a male celeb wins, a female pro wins. So I honestly don't mind either way. Just want the best dancer to win!

I think that Tinashe is actually doing better than Normani in perception - she comes across as more genuine. I think the bottom two was producer manipulation and Tinashe will be in the final 3 at least. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, tessaforever said:

Lol, I paused the show and made my daughter watch Derek and Amber's freestyle after Witney & Milo danced! There were some similar elements but not enough that I can say she copied...and Witney's a really good choregrapher (generally) so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that the song lends itself to a certain style. 

A good point that's been made before - when a male celeb wins, a female pro wins. So I honestly don't mind either way. Just want the best dancer to win!

I think that Tinashe is actually doing better than Normani in perception - she comes across as more genuine. I think the bottom two was producer manipulation and Tinashe will be in the final 3 at least. 

I loved Normani but I think the thing with Tinashe is she has a better relationship with her partner than I felt normani had with Val. I don't know what it was but I just dont think they vibed well maybe because of the distance in age. Tinashe seems to adore and fully appreciate brandon and they just hit it off from the beginning where as Normani was struggling a bit with Val, I always felt normani should have been paired with Alan, someone more her age.

14 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

I think the problem w/ Brandon is that I don't think he and Tinashe have a particularly close friendship yet. Milo/Witney, Alexis/Alan and Demarcus/Lindsay all seem to be really fast friends already. Their body language when they're getting judges critiques seems a little distant, as if they've only known each other a few days. 

Ehh, I disagree. I def. think they are close. Brandon just wants to attention to be on Tinashe when they are getting critiques, so he lets her have it which I think is sweet. She praises him alot too, so she def.  thinks alot of him, like carrieanne told them, u two have a great relationship.

• Love 1

I don't know how close Brandon and Tinashe are, but I do think part of the issue goes back to as some people have said, Brandon is a brand new pro that people are still sort of forming opinions on...including myself.  And as we are only three weeks in, a clear picture has yet to be formed. 

This is true and I'd argue I think our female pros are overall stronger than our males in terms of choreography, knowing how to showcase their partners and etc.  I'd argue the flip side is of course that female celebs are often expected to do more and in heels and sometimes the male celebs can have a female celeb dance around them doing all the flash.  But I think Lindsay is the best overall pro we've had in a long time and this season Witney has been killing it as well.  Emma is also especially good at finding ways to showcase her partners in positive ways.

I also 99% wanted Rashad to win because I wanted Emma to win and I wanted Jordan to win because I wanted Lindsay to win.  I don't have that feeling this season because Brandon is new and Witney has already won so there is no particular drive to vote there and I'm certainly not going to support Bobby just to get Sharna a win.  Of the pros that have frontrunners or good dancers, I'd probably most want Cheryl to win just because it's been so long and she rarely gets contenders anymore.

• Love 3
Spoiler

Don't know why this is showing up. Weird. 

I loved the lifts that DeMarcus and Lindsay did, but the AT did seem rather mediocre other than the lifts. I could see why Len gave an 8. He like them more sultry, like he said an Argentine Bar atmosphere. Juan Pablo killed that samba dance. I really don't think this dance is much out of his comfort zone. But no matter, great performance. Milo's happiness is so contagious. Great attitude, and a pretty good dancer. Being tall and lanky has not hurt his performances in the least. Alexis story about her Mom was so sad. I recently lost my Mom and was just bawling throughout the dance it was kinda hard to focus on the dance. Watched on YouTube and I loved it. Alan did a great choreo job. Tinashe is a ringer for sure, but Brandon is giving her good choreography and I think they make a good couple. Tinashe does seem like a Val ringer and I am surprised that Val did not get her. Perhaps it's too close of a match to Normani and Val's partnership. One more thing, blown away with the Harry Potter theme dance that Keo and Evanna did. Evanna is very much a dancer, can't understand why she was rejected by 3 dance schools in England. Evanna handled that with such composure and grace. It's gonna be a tough choice on who gets to the finale because at this point in time, I think all of them deserve to be there. 

As far as the other dancers...blah. Send them home already, especially grocery store Joe. He should never have been on the show.

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Don't know why this is showing up. Weird. 

I loved the lifts that DeMarcus and Lindsay did, but the AT did seem rather mediocre other than the lifts. I could see why Len gave an 8. He like them more sultry, like he said an Argentine Bar atmosphere. Juan Pablo killed that samba dance. I really don't think this dance is much out of his comfort zone. But no matter, great performance. Milo's happiness is so contagious. Great attitude, and a pretty good dancer. Being tall and lanky has not hurt his performances in the least. Alexis story about her Mom was so sad. I recently lost my Mom and was just bawling throughout the dance it was kinda hard to focus on the dance. Watched on YouTube and I loved it. Alan did a great choreo job. Tinashe is a ringer for sure, but Brandon is giving her good choreography and I think they make a good couple. Tinashe does seem like a Val ringer and I am surprised that Val did not get her. Perhaps it's too close of a match to Normani and Val's partnership. One more thing, blown away with the Harry Potter theme dance that Keo and Evanna did. Evanna is very much a dancer, can't understand why she was rejected by 3 dance schools in England. Evanna handled that with such composure and grace. It's gonna be a tough choice on who gets to the finale because at this point in time, I think all of them deserve to be there. 

As far as the other dancers...blah. Send them home already, especially grocery store Joe. He should never have been on the show.

Im so glad they didnt give tinashe to Val, Im so glad they didnt do it. I think Val is better at his best when he doesnt have ringer on his hand because ego goes up 100 times explosive to the point I cant handle it, so kudos to Val not getting her and I agree she would be close to a normani type.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, howmanywords said:

This is why Milo always going so early is worrying me. Based on social media he's getting a great response but I suspect the votes may tell otherwise. Off the top of my head I remember Alfonso and Nyle always going so late in the show and/or going last. It got annoying after a while but I figured they must have been kicking ass in the votes.

Milo is fun and I think he is going in the first part to make the show more exciting.  They are trying something new with the order.  They know this is not a risk to him.  IMHO, he will be in the finals.  I forgot to say I think he will win.   He may not be the best dancer but it’s easy to root for him.

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2018 at 10:04 AM, spanana said:

Disney is popular, but not nearly as popular as it was in its peak, so now I have no clue where their audience ages out.  I think it's probably no longer cool to be a young teen still watching Disney.

I will say that my kids are 9 and just turned 14, and they don’t even watch much tv - they pretty much watch YouTube. My daughter had heard of the zombie movie milo was in though. She does watch this show with me on and off and neither of us vote.

I cannot believe three women in a row have gone and not one of them was the worst dancer this season - and that includes the freaking blind lady! Joe should have gone first - very annoyed he is in the cast let alone still here over everyone who has gone. Neither Nancy or Tinashe deserved to be in the bottom or jeapordy or whatever stupid term they use.

Joe aside, I have enjoyed just about everyone else. Juan Pablo is my favorite, even more so because I have loved Cheryl since “Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy”. I loved when CAI said he was the dance baby formed from Emmitt, Gilles and Mario.

• Love 3

That was definitely an interesting show! I had several quotes lined up and accidentally erased them, so I will just list my impressions on their own.

The ones that made me cry were Alexia, John and Bobby. And I even felt a little teary eyed for DeMarcus. I hadn't realized before that all of them were parent related. sniff sniff

Alexis - I loved her dance, it reminded me of the wonderful contemporary I've seen on SYTYCD. Beautiful lines, wonderful emotion. From what I've seen so far, I think Alexis is a beautiful dancer but her Achilles heel is Latina dance. I am hoping she can overcome that, because I would love to see her in the final three.

John - I am always surprised at how elegant he appears. Cognizant that his age prevents certain movements, but he takes what he has up to the next level. A very appealing dancer on many levels. I am hoping he outlasts the other nondancers in the show. Captures what the show is really about - take someone without a dance background and with hard work, improve greatly every week. 

Bobby - I have really hated watching him this season - until now. He definitely does deserve to stay beyond Joe. Not a great dancer but an adequate one when he makes the effort. And you could feel his pain in this dance. Curious is I will like him in tonight's dance or if I will go back to finding him supremely annoying.

DeMarcus - I usually am not a fan of the athletes, especially the football players. Forget about Bachelor Nation, the football fans are crazed voters! But I am loving his enthusiasm, his footwork, his leaps and jumps. I am a convert. And the naked love for his kids! awwww I get the impression that his wife/their mom, is no longer in his life?

Mary Lou - I appreciate her hard work and general happiness to be here. I don't find her dancing particularly interesting though, so I am okay with her leaving anytime in the next 2 weeks.

Nancy - I liked her story. I am not finding her particularly interesting either, so I didn't feel badly that she was eliminated. At least she is going home to her wonderful family and it gives her foot a chance to heal.

Tinanche - well, not a fan. (I'm not racist, really!!) It seems as if I am watching a professional dancer, but not one that grabs my attention the way that Cheryl does during the pro dances. I absolutely adored the video of her as a little girl and their great family dynamics. I think the problem is that early training sometimes takes away the feeling. It's technically perfect but doesn't move me. It's like comparing the singing of Celine Dion to Neil Young. Celine is technically much the better singer but Neil, with his rough raspy imperfect voice really touches me. I would pay almost anything to sing and hear Neil sing. I tolerate Celine, wouldn't want to watch one of her shows. Doesn't make me anti Francophone, I just value emotion and passion over technical ability. I also don't think the choreography is particularly interesting either. It feels as if the dances are basically the same. I did think that she made an effort to come across as more friendly and approachable post dance, so maybe things will change. I would definitely hate to see her leave before the lesser dancers.  

Milo - loved his dance! I wouldn't say it was effortless. I saw complete agony on his face during the dancing. I think it was a bit after the flip off the judging table. He has admirable determination and commitment to performance, especially considering his youth.

Joe - okay, time for him to go, although I am looking forward to seeing him dance with Jenna and Jordan. Will be amusing at the very least. I liked Joe and thought he most personified a nondancer progressing to.....something slightly better? But that was the lamest excuse for a most memorable year ever! Really, nothing more interesting happened in your life prior to going on a reality show? And instead of telling (or even better) showing us what he loves about Kendall, he blathers on about how he had a fear of commitment, that Kendall broke thru etc. It sounds as if Mike Fleiss wrote this! I am realizing how much I am crediting quiet people with having a lot going on upstairs....obviously I was wrong about Joe. He is either very secretive and has no intention of revealing anything about himself, or there is nothing there....except for a pretty package. And being a friendly guy (I have noticed that Joe and John seem to be very popular with the other celebs). I don't think he is calculating or nasty but he really needs to go. Since the voting is mostly based on the previous week, I am hoping off he goes after the next performance. Easily the worst one there and not entertaining even in a Ed Woods kind of way.

Evanna - I was actually kind of bored with this, although I loved her story and the setting was truly magical. I was very shocked that she earned perfect scores. Still, she is very appealing as a person and I don't have the dance background to appreciate if she is outstanding. Just didn't do much for me.

Juan Pablo - such an exciting dance! This is the first time that I really thought he could win it. Need to see that level of intensity in future dances.

At this point, I think my favourites are Milo, DeMarcus and Alexis. 

Edited by PrePreBabylonia
Spelling or mis
  • Love 5

Hello Uke. Yes, That IS Ridiculous With The Commercials ! My TV/Computer Screen Will Repeat The Beginning OF The Show And Then Have SIX Commercials ! Some Times, IT Will NOT Go Back To The Exact Place Where IT Left OFF ! A Few Weeks Ago And Maybe IT Was The First Show Of The Season, I Ended Up Taking FOUR HOURS To See A TWO Hour Show ! Jody