Type keyword(s) to search

On 10/7/2018 at 10:30 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I also think that Brandon and Alan both proved that they deserved to be made full-time pros on the adult version.  Both really have a knack for teaching and choreographing.  And I also thought that Cheryl was really good with HER kids.  It made me remember that she wasn't much older than that when she started dancing (in fact, I think she was actually a little bit younger than that), and she was also very shy as a little girl.  The teacher who helped break her out of her shell and who taught her everything she knows?  Jonathan Roberts.

I love Jonathan!  He is the pro that I'd most love to come back (yes, even more than Tristan!).  I don't know what the deal was with him and Anna, but the dance they did to the Norah Jones song was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bridget said:

Mandy Moore needs to replace Carrie Ann ASAP. She. Is. Amazing. It would be beneficial for all to have such specific feedback, and I suspect she wouldn’t squeal like a teenager and objectify the male contestants the way CAI (the world’s most boy crazy 50 year old woman) does. 

That's one thing I'll give Mandy Moore.  I'm not that crazy about her choreography, but I could never imagine that she'd claw the air while she squealed "yummy, yummy, yummy!" at her designated hunk of the season.

What was Kim Kardashian doing there?  It looked like her (with her two older kids squirming around) behind Scottie Pippen.  Or do those girls have an internal homing radar regarding basketball players?

Edited by Sile
sorry for the double post! I hit post too early on the previous one and went back to edit and ending up with a new post instead
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, Sile said:

That's one thing I'll give Mandy Moore.  I'm not that crazy about her choreography, but I could never imagine that she'd claw the air while she squealed "yummy, yummy, yummy!" at her designated hunk of the season.

What was Kim Kardashian doing there?  It looked like her (with her two older kids squirming around) behind Scottie Pippen.  Or do those girls have an internal homing radar regarding basketball players?

Kim is besties with Larsa Pippen, Scottie's wife.

• Love 2

Mandy Moore is such a good judge because that's her other job.  She works for one of the dance conventions (I'm assuming Break the Floor because of so many of the tiny-pros being from The Dance Awards) where she will teach classes during the day to ballrooms full of kids and then in the evening she judges their dancing with audio critiques.  So she's used to providing valuable feedback to kids who aren't controlling their own choreography.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Sile said:

I love Jonathan!  He is the pro that I'd most love to come back (yes, even more than Tristan!).  I don't know what the deal was with him and Anna, but the dance they did to the Norah Jones song was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.

He and Anna got divorced several years ago after nine years of marriage.  I remember it well because their wedding anniversary was September 20, and I innocently wished Anna a happy anniversary on Twitter that year before I found out about the divorce.  I was mortified, to say the least!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, McManda said:

And also a DWTS alum.

Your post reminded me that I saw another alum in the ballroom: Nikki Bella.

You can see her twice; both times are when the show comes back from a commercial. She is sitting in a row of three chairs to the right of the judges’ table (closest to Mandy Moore). She’s sitting to the right of her makeup artist, who I recognized from Total Bellas. 

I noticed Nikki because everyone behind her was standing up and clapping, but she (and the other two ppl with her) were seated. She’s probably there to show some love to Artem.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 1

I'm just watching the premier show so I'm late to the party. Just saw Jake and Sophia dance. All I can say is I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jake!!! I remember him partnered with Jenna on So You Think You Can Dance Next Generation. He was a little pip squeak with lots of energy and fabulous technique for a young kid. At 14, he is maturing to be an extremely good looking kid and a very giving and generous partner. He was so into Sophia and made her look great out there.

Kudos to Jake!!!!

Jake and Jenna Jive

• Love 2
On 10/7/2018 at 10:59 PM, Callaphera said:

Well... the kid!pros are great. They all seem to be having fun which is nice to watch. The contestants? Eh. Some of the kids are too Hollywood (no, please, tell me more about your agent calling you), a few don't seem to want to be there (hi, Palin offspring. Your partner doesn't have cooties, stop looking at her like she does), and then there's Honey Boo Boo who just seems like an absolute terror like her mother with that bad "keep your eyes off my daughter" joke and the weird aggression and poor Artem. Just poor, poor Artem. At least her kid!pro seems above and over Honey Boo Boo's bullshit.  

There were a lot of kids to remember And sorry to be mean, but as more kids are eliminated, it’ll help me tell them apart. 

I actually skipped the judging because I hate to see people being criticized. But it sounds like from you guys that the judges gave honest but helpful criticism that wasn’t mean-spirited. I’ll watch next time. Thanks. 

The Hollywood kids definitely had an advantage. They’re used to performing and auditioning in front of stony faces. The children of celebrities are just that—children whose parents happen to be famous. But Sophia Pippin is one of the non-celebrity kids who has a shot,to go far in the competition. She had rhythm and pretty good technique, and she is absolutely beautiful. When they showed the rehearsal footage, I couldn’t stop staring at her (but not in a creepy way, I promise). Her stage presence isn’t quite there yet, but I’m sure that will improve. 

Amongst the others, I liked Miles and Ariana. Those two definitely have energy and passion while performing, although 1) Miles needs to do more actual ballroom dancing. His freestyle and hip-hop moves were amazing, but those come easily to him. I want to see him become a true ballroom dancer. and 2) Ariana is a beautiful little girl, but when she’s dancing, her smile turns into a scary-looking grimmace  (sorry if that sounds mean). I was blown away by her dancing, however.

Akash isn’t the best dancer, but man, is he adorable. And he just turned 9, correct? I don’t know if it’s fair to make him compete with much older kids.

Alana would make me want to quit. Although I wonder if she’s nicer in real life and just hams it up for the cameras. Her team seems frustrated already. Everyone else seemed happy in their videos—even when the mentors were correcting the dancers or the dancers were upset because they couldn’t do a certain move. Alana’s video did not seem that way.

And is it wrong that I don’t remember Mackenzie’s dance? I’ll go back and watch it, but she did not stand out to me. So far, she’s not memorable. To me. YMMV

• Love 4
7 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I'm just watching the premier show so I'm late to the party. Just saw Jake and Sophia dance. All I can say is I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jake!!! I remember him partnered with Jenna on So You Think You Can Dance Next Generation. He was a little pip squeak with lots of energy and fabulous technique for a young kid. At 14, he is maturing to be an extremely good looking kid and a very giving and generous partner. He was so into Sophia and made her look great out there.

Kudos to Jake!!!!

Jake and Jenna Jive

I didn't love Jake on SYTYCD, but that was probably less about Jake and more my distaste for Jenna...but I barely even recognized him here.  I also just didn't really like the set up of SYTYCD Jrs. with the kids dancing with the adult pros a lot of the time.  Jake's so much older looking and I agree that he was a great and generous partner.  However I will argue that a lot of the kid pros on this show have some ballroom experience, but they aren't ballroom dancers primarily.  Most of the kids when they were listing their accolades were listing awards they had won in other genres, largely contemporary.  I'm sure all the kids are at least taking ballroom classes and training somewhat to do this show, but my point being that in some ways I think girl celebs that are paired with boy pros that are actually ballroom trained as their main genre are probably at an advantage in the sense that they have a more developed understanding of partnering and what it means to be a good ballroom partner.  Jake being ballroom trained has that.

I will say this about Alanna.  She seems to have gotten along well with the other children (from social media cues and what I've seen of their behavior) and she is very supportive of Artem.  She was supporting Artem in the regular DWTS season and asking people to vote for him and etc.  So I think she was generally engaged with both the other kids and her mentor and seems to have genuine feeling for them.  I also don't think Artem minds at all having her as his celeb.  I get the sense he's actually pretty entertained by his kids.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, spanana said:

I will say this about Alanna.  She seems to have gotten along well with the other children (from social media cues and what I've seen of their behavior) and she is very supportive of Artem.  She was supporting Artem in the regular DWTS season and asking people to vote for him and etc.  So I think she was generally engaged with both the other kids and her mentor and seems to have genuine feeling for them.  I also don't think Artem minds at all having her as his celeb.  I get the sense he's actually pretty entertained by his kids.

I’d meant that during the rehearsal clips we saw, the mentor seemed to irritated with Alana. For example, if she messed up, he’d say, ‘No! Do it again’ rather than laughing and saying, “Let’s try it again” the way other mentors did. Her partner was like that, too. But that also could’ve been the way it was edited. 

OMG what the hell happened????! I thought that I had read that Tripp and Honey Boo Boo were eliminated. I actually thought he wasn't that bad, just a normal kid that wasn't particularly interested in dance or performing at all. Not his fault he was born into that hideous family. At least we will never have to watch his mother and grandmother again. The would-be Kardashians. But Honey Boo Boo survived? When she couldn't be bothered to do anything, in rehearsal or the show? She just sauntered around in circles. I am quite sure that the judges didn't want it to look like they were body shaming her, by giving her much more generous marks than she deserved. A one or a two would have been appropriate, if they had made paddles with that low of a score.  But apparently a bunch of hillbillies had filled up that venue, because she made it thru and knocked out the far more deserving Addison. Addison and Leif's performance was fun, and I loved the energy and the song, it had the entire place enthused. Unlike that deadily song and dance with BooBoo. Poor Artem. Poor partner. They must have been completely shocked and disappointed that she made it thru. And not only do we have to see her NotDance thru another episode, we have to see her horrible slimeball mother in the audience. ye gods.

On to the remainder of the show....I fell asleep during the last dance performance. I have no idea who that was or how well he did, just that he didn't get booted. Stevie Wonder's son is amazing. He is my #1 candidate for winning. So many of them were entertaining. I didn't find Witney or Lindsay annoying, unlike many of you. Their enthusiasm and happiness at their team's performance brought a smile to my face.

Jordan Fisher makes a great host. I like Frankie Muniz but he is so awkward, can't ad lib and lamely directs the action back to the judges votes without connecting with the dancers or mentor. I am pretty sure they could come up with a much better Erin for the younger set. 

I was surprised that I found it so entertaining. Looking forward to #2!

Edited by PrePreBabylonia
Forgot mother. MOTHER!
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2018 at 12:15 AM, LexieLily said:

I'm going to be the jerk and ask, if the grownup-pros are doing the choreography and teaching it to the kid-pros and the celebrities, what is the point of the kid-pros?

The kid pros are partnering the celebrity juniors. I've seen Jake partner Jenna on So You Think You Can Dance the Next Generation. This was a few seasons ago and Jake was much smaller. It looked very odd for a small child to be dancing with an adult woman although, Jake certainly did handle Jenna with ease. That kid has got IT!!!

• Love 2

If Tripp Palin gets a pass for what he was born into, which I don't disagree with, then why does Alanna not get the same courtesy?  She was put on tv from the time she was a small child and also has a crazy messed up family, so how is any of that her fault?  It is not remotely different than the Palin situation. It's her fault she was exploited as a small child?

I'll also say that I have no idea what Alanna did or didn't do on this show, but I have heard more behind the scenes stuff about Tripp (having meltdowns and temper trantrums) than Alanna.  So let's just say I'm sure there is a lot from all of these kids that we aren't seeing on camera, both good and bad...because they are children.  We see what TPTB allow us to see.

Also no judges are going to be giving any child 1s or 2s on this show, no matter how bad they are.  I did not think Alanna was deserving of 1s or 2s either.  I didn't want Addison to go home, but I really didn't want any of them to go home.  The only reason I didn't mind Tripp leaving is because I didn't think he wanted to be there, whereas I do think both Addison and Alanna want to be there.  I can't totally tell you why I think Alanna wants to be there as its partly a spoiler.

It's also a bit presumptious to think that the only reason Alanna made it through the first elimination was because the room was full of hillbillies.  As it was on a studio lot in Los Angeles, that seems unlikely.  Maybe she was on a super popular reality show at one time and she was more instantly recognizable to the people in the audience than some of these other kids.  The audience vote, while partly about dancing, is still somewhat of a popularity contest.  The young stars that are more instantly recognizable are going to benefit over those that people have never seen before.  Also having a larger personality, for better or worse, is always going to be better in an audience vote than being forgettable.

Anyway, for me I just get really uncomfortable with adults going after children.  The parents are fair game, but the children?  Alanna may not be peoples cup of tea but she's still a child who has been through a lot of crap, none of which of her own doing.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 9

So, I finally broke down and watched this, mainly for Jordan and Frankie, and also to see how Val did as a judge.

Some of the dances actually made me smile-Arianna and Artyon(does he remind anyone else of Gary Coleman?), Sophia, Akash, Sky, and Mandla.

Alana was just obnoxious and annoying, and I wish she hadn't made it through.

What was that in the middle of Mackenzie's dance? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Foxtrot.

I've already forgotten the rest of them. Not a good sign.

Poor Keo can't even make it through in the Juniors division, although I thought his team should have made it over Alana.

The judging was blah. I still don't like Adam.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:07 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Mandy was a surprise for me. I don't know a whole bunch about her as a person and I've only seen her choreographed dances on the original, but I thought she did an excellent job judging the kids and giving them extremely great constructive criticisms. She connected with the kids and told them something they could improve on without being harsh about it. 

Ok, I'll give you this. She is probably the best of the judges for that reason.

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2018 at 11:15 PM, LexieLily said:

I'm going to be the jerk and ask, if the grownup-pros are doing the choreography and teaching it to the kid-pros and the celebrities, what is the point of the kid-pros?

To do the actual dancing with the kid celebs.

• Love 4
On 10/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, Sile said:

The two kids with Kim were her daughter North and Kourtney's daughter Penelope.   The two of them as well as Scotty and Larsa Pippin's kids play together a lot. 

• Love 1

Thank god it's Frankie Muniz. I just saw "Frankie" and panicked that someone might have hired Frankie Grande!  I threw up in my mouth just thinking about it.

I DO hate that "kids of celebrities" is a casting category on this. I hate that phenomenon, vs. kids who actually get hired for stuff outside of who Mommy or Daddy is.

• Love 6

BTW: could Val maybe take SOME of that hair grease out... you know... for the kids?

Also:  Ugh. Having to see Sarah Palin's ugly presence again because of this show?  Retch!

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5
On 10/12/2018 at 10:02 AM, Kromm said:

Also:  Ugh. Having to see Sarah Palin's ugly presence again because of this show?  Retch!

Not to worry.  Tripp is already out as one of the first eliminated, so you won't have be exposed to his mother and grandmother any more.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

Ariana has danced on her Disney show at times, including a DWTS based episode. She’s just plain a good actress (I’m surprised that she’s 10,though-her character on the show is about 6!).

I think Mackenzie actually has a disadvantage because everyone expects her to dance well-and she looks like an adult compared to the 9-10 yr olds. And I don’t know that Acro Jazz really helps in doing a foxtrot.

I’d like to see Alana stick around a few weeks to see how much she improves, and I think she’s enjoying herself. I’m glad the little Palin got to go home-he obviously wasn’t. Y

Edited by dmmetler
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, spanana said:

I can't totally tell you why I think Alanna wants to be there as its partly a spoiler.

I think it's an audition.  Her over-the-top "sassiness" was bearable (almost) on an eight-year-old.  It is obnoxious and embarrassing now.  At least she seems comfortable with her size.

• Love 3

I started watching this tonight, solely out of curiosity for Honey Boo boo. There isn't any other kid on this show that would keep me coming back, as I really don't have any tolerance for "show biz kids" who crave the spotlight.  And I will leave it at that. Some of them have some skills, though. Alana has a really good energy, now if only she could understand that dance has rhythm and deliberate steps, and work towards "getting that".  I'll probably only check back in this show via her individual YouTube clips. 

To add, Alanna does look like she's having a blast, so I hope that this is an activity that when she goes home, she ends up taking lessons. It would be good for her, it's social and fun, and it would help her get into shape. without her really having to think of it as exercise.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 1

I was really surprised at how hot Gleb is, when he isn't greasing back his hair a la Donald Trump Junior. I grew up in the 70s and I distinctly rememeber the ads for 'The Dry Look is In." No more grease. And yet....here it is! Does anyone find that look attractive, I wonder??

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

I was really surprised at how hot Gleb is, when he isn't greasing back his hair a la Donald Trump Junior. I grew up in the 70s and I distinctly rememeber the ads for 'The Dry Look is In." No more grease. And yet....here it is! Does anyone find that look attractive, I wonder??

I think Gleb is still married, so his wife probably does.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I think Gleb is still married, so his wife probably does.

You think she wants him to go to bed with greased up hair? Imagine the mess on the sheets! (From his greasy hair, that is). No, I am pretty sure that a shower is compulsory after a good day's work of dancing, and Gleb goes back to being hot, with his wild dry hair. Vast improvement!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

I think the look will always be "in" when it comes to male ballroom dancers. It is a very common look on the ballroom dance floor.

• Love 1