Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: I (Don't) Heart Huckabee

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

As someone who works in TV news I can honestly say I wasn’t surprised as the other reporters not joining in.  These people yearn to be there and they don’t want to give up being that close to the President (regardless of political affiliation).  They play ball otherwise they can’t attend the game.  

Yep.  It's about access.  It's a thing journalism in all realms (sports, politics and entertainment) struggle with.  How much BS are they willing to take to get that access?  And yet, Avery was right in that they need to be in the room/keep trying.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I laughed at the Cosette Peugot/Cosette LePew part, but that's about it.

And let's not forget "where did I get my degree? Jean Valjean Academy of Stealing Bread??" 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 24

I enjoyed the disguise dress up, but bailed on much of the press scene. I kind of knew Murphy would mess up things for Avery and thought it was going to be cringe-inducing and selfish of her, as much as it must have been satisfying to deliver a put down. Should I go back and watch it?

I did enjoy the apology scene with avery, and his new ringtone.

• Love 2

I agree with those who said pushing-70 Frank whining about picking up women is hitting the wrong note, but I did get warm fuzzies from his relationship with Avery. I just love that he’s stayed Uncle Frank for all of these years.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, partofme said:

I expected them to cheer for Murphy's speech because she was 100% correct and was disappointed they didn't.  

I expected it as well which is why this was so surprising and so Murphy Brown of old when things didn't always go the way we thought they should.  Just because we all wanted it to happen doesn't mean it would in the real world.  A sort of awakening for the Murphy of today.

• Love 7

I think this was an improvement over last week and I think the show still has potential. It's just taking some time to figure everything out, what works and what doesn't. I like the relationship between Avery and Murphy. I'm going to keep watching for at least the first season. 

• Love 6

The thing is Murphy is at the end of her career.   Past it even.   When did she retire/quit?  Did the show say and I miss it?  Maybe the With the Obamas?   No more need for her.  Love won!!!!!

Eight years is a long time and a lot of things changed and Murphy just does have the same power or pull she had.  Especially with a President at war with the press.  I don’t think Murphy has figured that out yet.  She is still playing by the old rules.

Avery is at the early stages of his career and building a name for himself and understands even though he is a liberal it pays to play nice with the people in charge. To play by their rules.    Not to make everything a style and everyone an enemy l.

its a smart approach. It just does t make good tv.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm going to keep watching for at least the first season. 

Because I was a hard core fan in Murphy 1.0 I am giving 2.0 a fair chance unlike, say, the new Magnum PI.  Love Candice so I'll stick it out. It often takes a few weeks to get things sorted out.

• Love 17

As for laugh tracks they are still in use.  Usually the stronger studio audience reaction is selected for laughter but in case a joke bombs, they use it to punch it up.

The audience reaction is sometimes augmented, especially if a scene has to be re-shot, that's true. But that's not what a "laugh track" traditionally means. I think a lot of younger viewers are simply not familiar with old-style sitcoms that were not filmed before live audiences and used canned laughter. They seem to think the live audience reaction is called "the laugh track" and that's not what a laugh track is. I see it all over the place in reaction to shows that are filmed in front of live studio audiences so it seems to be a pretty common misconception. 

For what it's worth . . . shows don't typically "add" laughter if the joke bombs and the studio audience doesn't laugh. I think that's a common misconception too. They'll either stop and re-write the joke or cut it if it bombs. They augment the laughter when a scene has to be shot multiple times because the actors screw up their lines or whatever, and the audience has already heard the joke three or four times. In those instances the audio from the first take is coupled with the final shot. That's not a "laugh track" either, in the traditional sense. A laugh track is what you hear when you watch Gilligan's Island or The Beverly Hillbillies.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, andipandi said:

I enjoyed the disguise dress up, but bailed on much of the press scene. I kind of knew Murphy would mess up things for Avery and thought it was going to be cringe-inducing and selfish of her, as much as it must have been satisfying to deliver a put down. Should I go back and watch it?

I did enjoy the apology scene with avery, and his new ringtone.

No, don’t go back and watch it.

6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That was one of my favorite things about the original, looking forward to see what kind of whack job HR sent her each week.  I'm glad they are continuing the tradition - it wouldn't be Murphy Brown without it.  As always, YMMV.

And seriously, with twenty years of pop culture and societal advancement, there's so much more they can do! Cosplayers! Otherkin! Someone who completely ignores Murphy because they've got their eyes glued to their phone! Someone recording a podcast from their desk on the side! So many possibilities....

• Love 16
17 hours ago, answerphone said:

Oh, please.  We all knew this revival would definitely have a political slant.

Don't pretend to think Murphy would be neutral regarding the current White House occupants!!

Of course it would, that's the second biggest premise of the show. It's a show about journalists, but specifically D.C. journalists and politics (specifically Diane English's left-leaning politics) was always the focus. It wouldn't make sense if the revival didn't follow the same premise as the original. Like if Will and Grace was suddenly not about gay people, it wouldn't be the same show. 

I'm trying to like this, but that episode was pretty bad. Not just the stiltedness, but also the obvious token characters, like the Mexican guy. I'm fine with a show trying to humanize marginalized people, but SHOW us rather than tell us. When you include a character only so you can use extreme exposition and awkward dialogue to get your point of view across, it doesn't work. And honestly, a Mexican busboy who works really hard is supposed to be a stereotype buster? 

I remember seeing retrospective or interview awhile back where Charles Kimbrough said the show loved have George HW Bush/Quayle and Co to kick around and that it would have been even better with GWB, but I kind of disagree. A lot of the political humor in the original came from a milder place and a lot of the things that took place under GWB and now the current administration were far more serious and consequential, and thus, less funny. 

Then again, I was very young when the original was airing and less concerned with most things, so maybe people who were older then would feel differently.

• Love 5

I am still confused about the laugh track...and if they aren't using one...maybe they should.  The seemingly-muffled laughter sounds awful and is out-of-sync.  It is awful.  The show is kind of awful.  And I want to love it.  And I know it will get better.  It is just going to take a few episodes for the cast and the writing to find their legs.  Hopefully.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder how they can use clips of SHS like that without getting into trouble.

Seth Meyers has a segment on his late night show where he pretends to be a reporter questioning SHS. They edit her answering silly questions. 

The show's still shaky, but I'm sticking with it. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, UYI said:

Some of it was a little awkward, but it got better (and funnier) as it went on. I liked it. And Ioved how obvious it was that SHS was NOT actually there in the room, lol (although I can't EVER see Miles having a crush on her; that was weird). 

I LOVED the Charlie Rose joke--remember, that's a shot at their OWN network.

Next week Jim's back! Yay! 

Wait -- I thought the actor playing Jim died?  No???  I loved Jim.   And I loved Eldon/Eldin.

I always found Murphy too strident, but maybe that's her -- or Candace Bergen.  The side characters were my favorites.

Will keep watching.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Wait -- I thought the actor playing Jim died?  No???  I loved Jim.   And I loved Eldon/Eldin.

No, he's not dead, he's just more or less retired from acting now, which is why he's making guest appearances instead of being a series regular like in the old days. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Thumper said:

Wait -- I thought the actor playing Jim died?  No???  I loved Jim.

No, the actress who played his wife, Doris (Janet Carroll) passed away in 2012.  Wiki shows that Concetta Tomei played Doris in the last season of the show, but I have a hunch Jim will be a widower when we see him.

• Love 2
On 10/5/2018 at 1:03 AM, answerphone said:

Oh, please.  We all knew this revival would definitely have a political slant.

Don't pretend to think Murphy would be neutral regarding the current White House occupants!!

Yeah. They’ve all admitted in character, & at least Candice Bergen has additionally admitted in real life, that they revived the show because of the last election & what’s happened in the country, if not also the world, since.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Thumper said:

Jim didn't but Eldin did.  I will miss him, he lent a whole new perspective and could really call Murphy's bluff.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Thumper said:

I always found Murphy too strident, but maybe that's her -- or Candace Bergen.  The side characters were my favorites.

Will keep watching.

Charles Kimbrough is alive and well, and age 82, so he doesn't do a lot anymore.  He had been married more recently to Beth Howland (Vera from Alice), but she passed away a few years ago.  They were in a Broadway musical together in the early 70's, so I always thought that was kind-of cool.

• Love 4
On 10/4/2018 at 11:56 PM, Annber03 said:

I'll agree with this. I could see if they'd wanted to make a point about how a woman is perceived in this kind of role via a man, but since they didn't, yeah. It doesn't work as well. Of all the things they could discuss in regards to her, that'd be about the last thing I'd think to bring up. 

If SHS didn't insult reporters or make mean, snide remarks at their expense, I would agree with you about the woman perception thing.

I support women 99% of of the time (60's-wave Feminist here), but I believe my eyes and ears also. 

19 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

And let's not forget "where did I get my degree? Jean Valjean Academy of Stealing Bread??" 

I liked that they brought in Bergen's knowledge of French. She was married to Louis Malle and he is her daughter's father. 

• Love 12
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yep.  It's about access.  It's a thing journalism in all realms (sports, politics and entertainment) struggle with.  How much BS are they willing to take to get that access?  And yet, Avery was right in that they need to be in the room/keep trying.

I agree wholeheartedly. Walking out is never the answer, because other less noble forces move in.  Stand your ground and keep pushing for the truth. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

If SHS didn't insult reporters or make mean, snide remarks at their expense, I would agree with you about the woman perception thing.

I support women 99% of of the time (60's-wave Feminist here), but I believe my eyes and ears also. 

This is true, too. Fair point. 

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Moose135 said:

That was one of my favorite things about the original, looking forward to see what kind of whack job HR sent her each week.  I'm glad they are continuing the tradition - it wouldn't be Murphy Brown without it.  As always, YMMV.

I don't have a problem with the secretaries exactly, but I think they are serving to underline one of the problems with the current incarnation of the series.

Murphy has no office.  A secretary comes from somewhere in an elevator because its part of the formula.  There is no reason for it.  Murphy, Frank, and Corky aren't journalists any more.  They don't do investigative pieces or in depth, well researched interviews anymore.  They are pundits.

Its so jarring to have the secretary come down and deliver a message and wacky high jinx while Murphy is sitting on a couch or a table down neat the set.  I'm not exactly thrilled that this is what Murphy has become.

The only part of this show that is working for me are the parts that Avery is in.  Some one said it upthread.  Its like there are two shows.  One that Avery is in that has an emotional core that comes across real.  The other is the trading of bad one liners that stilted and uncomfortable.  You'd think that the cast that has a long history together would be what was gelling but its not yet.

• Love 5

I still adore Candice Bergen, and it breaks my heart to say it, but unfortunately with age (and maybe as a result of her stroke ~10 years ago?) her speech patterns are slower and her delivery just isn't as sharp as it was the first time around. There are also definitely moments where it just feels like she's overacting, maybe due to the strain of trying to memorize the lines and get them out. The contrast is striking when you watch one of the old episodes on Antenna TV, followed by one of the new episodes. It may be an unfair comparison, and of course everyone changes and slows down as they get older, but it just doesn't feel fully like Murphy's "back."

Avery is definitely the best part now. Based on the strength of the character, I could honestly see an "Avery Brown" spinoff coming off of this revival, with occasional Murphy appearances, although I don't think that Diane English would be up for it long-term. But the Murphy-Avery dynamic is the new heart of the show, and also that's where Candice's acting seems to be the most natural now.

Tyne Daly as Phyllis was much better in this episode (not that she was given much to do on the first one, though). I think it's an interesting dynamic for her to acknowledge that she's not the natural bartender that her brother was, rather than just making her the female incarnation of Phil.

• Love 2

Even pundits have secretaries. I very much doubt they do their own administrative work. Having a talk show versus a news show doesn’t mean they no longer have offices. Maybe we haven’t seen them yet. 

So I can still see the value of the running gag of revolving secretaries. She’ll need someone to take calls, pull up research for any pieces she wants to do.

I’m enjoying the hell out of this and am in it for the lib haul.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, ombelico said:

I still adore Candice Bergen, and it breaks my heart to say it, but unfortunately with age (and maybe as a result of her stroke ~10 years ago?) her speech patterns are slower and her delivery just isn't as sharp as it was the first time around. There are also definitely moments where it just feels like she's overacting, maybe due to the strain of trying to memorize the lines and get them out. The contrast is striking when you watch one of the old episodes on Antenna TV, followed by one of the new episodes. It may be an unfair comparison, and of course everyone changes and slows down as they get older, but it just doesn't feel fully like Murphy's "back."

Avery is definitely the best part now. Based on the strength of the character, I could honestly see an "Avery Brown" spinoff coming off of this revival, with occasional Murphy appearances, although I don't think that Diane English would be up for it long-term. But the Murphy-Avery dynamic is the new heart of the show, and also that's where Candice's acting seems to be the most natural now.

Tyne Daly as Phyllis was much better in this episode (not that she was given much to do on the first one, though). I think it's an interesting dynamic for her to acknowledge that she's not the natural bartender that her brother was, rather than just making her the female incarnation of Phil.

I have no real problem with it. *shrug* I'm fine with how she plays it.

• Love 8

The Avery/Murphy scenes are the best and most natural.  The show does seem stilted but I'm hoping it will improve.

Unlike other shows, I find that I'm re-watching a couple of scenes each episode.  This week it was the SHS press conference (how they edited SHS) and the scenes with Avery.  I plan to continue watching for now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't have a problem with the secretaries exactly, but I think they are serving to underline one of the problems with the current incarnation of the series.

Murphy has no office.  A secretary comes from somewhere in an elevator because its part of the formula.  There is no reason for it.  Murphy, Frank, and Corky aren't journalists any more.  They don't do investigative pieces or in depth, well researched interviews anymore.  They are pundits.

Its so jarring to have the secretary come down and deliver a message and wacky high jinx while Murphy is sitting on a couch or a table down neat the set.  I'm not exactly thrilled that this is what Murphy has become.

Absolutely!  I hated the secretary thing first time around.  We seem to be in the minority, as people seem to think it's funny.  :o(

On 10/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, bybrandy said:

Frank's obsession with meeting women just plays CREEPY. 

On 10/5/2018 at 1:33 AM, magicdog said:

Ditto.  If his character and Joe Regalbuto's ages are supposed to match up (age 69) I'm curious where they are going to go with a guy who is still not married and chasing after women. 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, proserpina65 said:

To me, it doesn't come off as creepy, just as desperate.  I guess I know some men like that, and that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, Panopticon said:

I agree with those who said pushing-70 Frank whining about picking up women is hitting the wrong note, but I did get warm fuzzies from his relationship with Avery. I just love that he’s stayed Uncle Frank for all of these years.

I don't see Frank as creepy at all, or that he has to be gay or in love with Murphy.  We don't know what relationships he has or hasn't had in the last 20 years, but just because he's getting older doesn't mean he can't be looking for a relationship or even just dating.  We don't have any reason to think he's trying for 20 year old women, or that he is pressing unwelcome attention.  I think it's a bit unfortunate that so many people automatically act as if he has to be a creepy old man, rather than someone who doesn't want to be alone forever  Or even if he doesn't want a serious relationship, still wants someone to go to dinner with, or to the theatre, or even to have a sexual relationship with (yes, "old" people still have sex too).  There's no reason he can't be looking for a woman his own age and status who would be happy to meet him.  She's just not everywhere!

On 10/5/2018 at 12:28 PM, iMonrey said:

I wonder how they can use clips of SHS like that without getting into trouble. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big outcry from the White House already.

I'm presuming that the network owns those clips from their own news division, and permission was obtained from which ever show was actually in whatever briefing those clips were from, and therefore the White House, which doesn't own the footage, has no say in how they are used.  The original had such clips too.  Certainly Quayle didn't give permission to use the clips of his Murphy Brown rant--but the news division owned them, and didn't need permission to allow a sister show to incorporate them.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 17
On 10/5/2018 at 4:44 PM, The Crazed Spruce said:

And seriously, with twenty years of pop culture and societal advancement, there's so much more they can do! Cosplayers! Otherkin! Someone who completely ignores Murphy because they've got their eyes glued to their phone! Someone recording a podcast from their desk on the side! So many possibilities....

I love all of these ideas. 

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Even pundits have secretaries. I very much doubt they do their own administrative work. Having a talk show versus a news show doesn’t mean they no longer have offices. Maybe we haven’t seen them yet. 

So I can still see the value of the running gag of revolving secretaries. She’ll need someone to take calls, pull up research for any pieces she wants to do.

I agree. She's still need someone for administrative work, especially if she's doing speaking engangements. Even on the original show, the other characters had offices, but we rarely saw them. 90% of the time, if we were seeing someone's office, it was Murphy's. I'm not sure if we ever saw Jim's office or Frank's office in the original series. I know we saw Corky's office at least one and I remember seeing Miles's office once or twice. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Even on the original show, the other characters had offices, but we rarely saw them. 90% of the time, if we were seeing someone's office, it was Murphy's.

I hope they build a set for Murphy's office this time around, too, just for the return of her dartboard with the different things on it each week.  That amused me as much as the revolving door of secretaries.  I think the "Reserved For John Sununu" sign was my favorite, but other contenders include the Geraldo book signing advertisement, the naked woman mudflap, and some of the many parking signs.  Just imagine the stuff she can put up there now.  Two episodes without it, though, so they may not be bringing that back.

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I love all of these ideas. 

I agree. She's still need someone for administrative work, especially if she's doing speaking engangements. Even on the original show, the other characters had offices, but we rarely saw them. 90% of the time, if we were seeing someone's office, it was Murphy's. I'm not sure if we ever saw Jim's office or Frank's office in the original series. I know we saw Corky's office at least one and I remember seeing Miles's office once or twice. 

We did, in the episode where Corky throws Murphy her  baby shower. Murphy insults the idea, Corky goes to her office feeling dejected, and Murphy, realizing she had been planning it as a surprise for her, goes to apologize ("Gee, I feel like I've stepped into a Victoria's Secret."). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Well I'm all in for Murphy.  I liked this episode and agree that while it would have been awesome if everyone had stood up at the press conference and marched out it wouldn't have been realistic.  I loved the ending with the apology.  They've really hit on the best way to play off Avery and Murphy. There were so many directions they could have gone in and when I first heard he was working for "Wolf" I figured he was going to be Alex P,  Keaton and be a Trump supporter.  So glad I was wrong.  The way they're going is much better.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I hope they build a set for Murphy's office this time around, too, just for the return of her dartboard with the different things on it each week.  That amused me as much as the revolving door of secretaries.  I think the "Reserved For John Sununu" sign was my favorite, but other contenders include the Geraldo book signing advertisement, the naked woman mudflap, and some of the many parking signs.  Just imagine the stuff she can put up there now.  Two episodes without it, though, so they may not be bringing that back.

Oh heck yes. I miss that dartboard! It was a character all its own. :)

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Ailianna said:
On 10/5/2018 at 12:35 AM, bybrandy said:

Frank's obsession with meeting women just plays CREEPY. 

On 10/5/2018 at 1:33 AM, magicdog said:

Ditto.  If his character and Joe Regalbuto's ages are supposed to match up (age 69) I'm curious where they are going to go with a guy who is still not married and chasing after women. 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:33 AM, proserpina65 said:

To me, it doesn't come off as creepy, just as desperate.  I guess I know some men like that, and that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, Panopticon said:

I don't see Frank as creepy at all, or that he has to be gay or in love with Murphy.  We don't know what relationships he has or hasn't had in the last 20 years, but just because he's getting older doesn't mean he can't be looking for a relationship or even just dating.  We don't have any reason to think he's trying for 20 year old women, or that he is pressing unwelcome attention.  I think it's a bit unfortunate that so many people automatically act as if he has to be a creepy old man, rather than someone who doesn't want to be alone forever  Or even if he doesn't want a serious relationship, still wants someone to go to dinner with, or to the theatre, or even to have a sexual relationship with (yes, "old" people still have sex too).  There's no reason he can't be looking for a woman his own age and status who would be happy to meet him.  She's just not everywhere!

I think I'm somewhere between these two extremes re: Frank (who was my favorite character in the original-- I've always loved his friendship with Murphy). I agree there's no reason why he can't still be single and looking for a relationship at his age (and this doesn't make him gay or pining for Murphy), but it's problematic that pushing-seventy, 2018 Frank is still acting the exact same way as in-his-forties, '90's Frank. Which I think leads to my issues with the new episodes in general-- the FYI gang is being portrayed as exactly the same as they were twenty years ago, which isn't realistic. I think the reason why most of us (including me) are enjoying the Murphy/ Avery scenes the most is that A) they show that time has moved on in these years, and B) they're one-on-one scenes that allow for better character development than the big group scenes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think so far we've only seen Frank, Miles, and Corky en masse. I realize that it's only been two episodes, so hopefully more smaller scenes are coming, but so far it's been disappointing and results in caricatures instead of characters. I know the original thrived on these group scenes and did them well, but right now they're not working. (Other than the scene in Phil's with Avery, which I thought was decent... so maybe it is that McDornan is the only good part of the show, and should just be in every scene...)

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I agree there's no reason why he can't still be single and looking for a relationship at his age (and this doesn't make him gay or pining for Murphy), but it's problematic that pushing-seventy, 2018 Frank is still acting the exact same way as in-his-forties, '90's Frank. Which I think leads to my issues with the new episodes in general-- the FYI gang is being portrayed as exactly the same as they were twenty years ago, which isn't realistic.

I agree and it's this thought is why I questioned Frank still chasing chicks at a protest.  Sure, that made sense for his younger self but did Frank (or Corky or Miles) truly grow in the 20+ years since we've seen them?  It's not that Frank shouldn't be pursuing a relationship, but how he's going about it.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

It's not that Frank shouldn't be pursuing a relationship, but how he's going about it.

As Josh Lyman once said about a White House reception "It's a target-rich environment."

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

it's problematic that pushing-seventy, 2018 Frank is still acting the exact same way as in-his-forties, '90's Frank. Which I think leads to my issues with the new episodes in general-- the FYI gang is being portrayed as exactly the same as they were twenty years ago, which isn't realistic. I think the reason why most of us (including me) are enjoying the Murphy/ Avery scenes the most is that A) they show that time has moved on in these years, and B) they're one-on-one scenes that allow for better character development than the big group scenes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think so far we've only seen Frank, Miles, and Corky en masse. I realize that it's only been two episodes, so hopefully more smaller scenes are coming, but so far it's been disappointing and results in caricatures instead of characters.

I was just coming in here to say basically this.  The characters are the same as they were in the first incarnation, with no growth or change in 20 years.  The writers need to develop the characters as they would be today.

• Love 4

I'm not sure what the terminology is, but I've noticed a few instances of one scene, being filmed from two viewpoints which are not consistent.  For example, when Tyne Daley was interviewing the "dreamer", her long bangs went back and forth from being nicely combed to the side, to pushed behind her ear, back to nicely combed, etc.  Surely they can do better than that.

2 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I'm not sure what the terminology is, but I've noticed a few instances of one scene, being filmed from two viewpoints which are not consistent.  For example, when Tyne Daley was interviewing the "dreamer", her long bangs went back and forth from being nicely combed to the side, to pushed behind her ear, back to nicely combed, etc.  Surely they can do better than that.

Continuity.

This show is a fucking MESS.

They are clearly filming without a live audience, and then putting in a laugh track later. It's jarring and so poorly done. 

The press conference scene was shit. If you want rage against the administration, there are SO many other places to get it where it's actually WELL done. This? Ugh.

Couldn't the Avery actor  better fake using his phone? You could clearly see the lock screen the whole time.

The only thing worth watching for is the Murphy-Avery relationship. And it's also the only place where Bergen's acting approaches acceptable. And that ain't enough to keep me tuned it. 

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, magicdog said:

It's not that Frank shouldn't be pursuing a relationship, but how he's going about it.  

Right.  Next to Murphy, I think Frank was my favorite character in the original.  But it definitely feels like he's stagnant in his life with how similar he is to the way he was back then.  And the way they introduced the fact that he was in the same place made me not like him the way I wouldn't probably mind if it were just that he were perpetually dating.  He was asked how many numbers he got at the women's march implying that the reason he went to a march wasn't to support the causes the women were marching for but rather just to hit on chicks. Ick.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DB in CMH said:

They are clearly filming without a live audience, and then putting in a laugh track later.

No, they're filming in front of an audience (other than Hillary Clinton's appearance in the first episode, which they shot on a closed set).

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, they're filming in front of an audience (other than Hillary Clinton's appearance in the first episode, which they shot on a closed set).

Ahhhhhhhh, I get it. They're just using the laugh track for sweetening then, because none of the opening was actually funny. That's why it sounded so off.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He was asked how many numbers he got at the women's march implying that the reason he went to a march wasn't to support the causes the women were marching for but rather just to hit on chicks.

No reason he couldn't do both...

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 12:00 AM, Irlandesa said:

He was asked how many numbers he got at the women's march implying that the reason he went to a march wasn't to support the causes the women were marching for but rather just to hit on chicks. Ick.

I reluctantly agree. I wish they'd timed the joke in a different way. It could have seemed perfectly legit if they had played it differently.   I have met people who became friends and more my whole life through marches and activism.   It's only skeevy if, as you say, somebody is only going to hit on people.  You know at least that the people you meet share at least some of your values, and are willing to march around with signs (and funny hats) out in public to act on them.   

• Love 3