Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: I (Don't) Heart Huckabee

2 minutes ago, Wanda said:

I doubt the intention was to humanize SHS, but that’s exactly what they did.

I can see what you mean in terms of her son talking with her. That, I wasn't a fan of. 

That said, I can see where he was coming from by not walking out of the press briefing. Not letting the administration have their way. I don't think it was meant as preachy. I viewed it as her son reminding her of what she told him before. But I can see how it could be taken as such.

• Love 10

For me the preachiness was in Murphy's remarks in the press room. I applauded Avery's pulling her up short afterwards.  From the time the news team pushed/barged past Phyllis into Phil's before she was even open to the end of the program it was all about Murphy's sense of entitlement.

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Everyone sounds so...stilted.

Stilted is a good word for it.  Everyone seems to be overacting and trying way too hard to be caricatures of their former roles, especially Murphy and Miles.  Miles’ whimpering anxiety was kind of cute 20 years ago because he was so young, but it’s just annoying now. I also agree that the episode was preachy and unfunny.

All that said, I do like the new young characters of Avery, Pat and the new guy working at the bar.  I just hope the oldsters settle down soon.  At least, thank goodness, there were no hot flash jokes tonight!

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

For me the preachiness was in Murphy's remarks in the press room. I applauded Avery's pulling her up short afterwards.  From the time the news team pushed/barged past Phyllis into Phil's before she was even open to the end of the program it was all about Murphy's sense of entitlement.

Fair enough. I agree on that end. And at least she learned from it.

3 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

Stilted is a good word for it.  Everyone seems to be overacting and trying way too hard to be caricatures of their former roles, especially Murphy and Miles.  Miles’ whimpering anxiety was kind of cute 20 years ago because he was so young, but it’s just annoying now. I also agree that the episode was preachy and unfunny.

All that said, I do like the new young characters of Avery, Pat and the new guy working at the bar.  I just hope the oldsters settle down soon.  At least, thank goodness, there were no hot flash jokes tonight!

Agreed in terms of Miles, but yet... that's Miles in a nutshell. Hopefully he'll simmer down some what, but I don't expect it to go away as it's a part of him as a character.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 6

Some of it was a little awkward, but it got better (and funnier) as it went on. I liked it. And Ioved how obvious it was that SHS was NOT actually there in the room, lol (although I can't EVER see Miles having a crush on her; that was weird). 

I LOVED the Charlie Rose joke--remember, that's a shot at their OWN network.

Next week Jim's back! Yay! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Hope it’s better than last week’s.

Nope.  It wasn't.

There's so much potential to mock the current situation, but when it's wrapped in stale jokes and even staler production values, characterization and writing...

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, AEMom said:

The hammered assistant fit right in with previous secretaries. 

I really like Murphy and Avery together.  They have great chemistry,  and she will admit to him when she's wrong. In the past she would run roughshod over everyone. Now she has someone to call her on her shit. It's an interesting dynamic. 

Definitely.

Word. Finally someone to call her out on stuff.

• Love 6

Murphy in the press briefing did come off a bit preachy but they said what I think many of us are feeling about the way the media is being treated by this administration. 

For some reason, the way Frank said "Huckabee Sanders?!?!??" when Avery said, "Sarah," just cracked me up. The delivery was perfect and I burst out laughing. 

Definitely can tell they are still getting back in the groove but I thought it was smoother than last week. I can see why reviewers were saying it really gets back into the groove by the third episode. Will and Grace was the same

• Love 19
14 minutes ago, UYI said:

Some of it was a little awkward, but it got better (and funnier) as it went on. I liked it. And Ioved how obvious it was that SHS was NOT actually there in the room, lol (although I can't EVER see Miles having a crush on her; that was weird). 

I LOVED the Charlie Rose joke--remember, that's a shot at their OWN network.

Next week Jim's back! Yay! 

I didn't catch the Charlie Rose joke. What part of the episode was it in?

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

Preachiness is part of the DNA of the show.

While I've been slamming how dated this all seems, even if they improved the writing and how they shoot and produce the show to not be so... stale and creaky... the preachiness can't go away. But it has to be surrounded by sharper and more satirical less middle of the road jokes, more modern shot selection and editing, dimming the hell down the laugh track, a faster pace, less jokes about how old they all are, etc.

And they need less "inside baseball" jokes about Washington and the Press--changed out for some jokes looking at those things from an outside perspective. That's a function Eldin the Painter somewhat provided and now he's gone. So they need a replacement for that. Murphy commenting on how ridiculous Trump and the Administration is needs to be there, and that does include a Soapbox. But then when she's ridiculous you need an outside perspective to bring her down over that, and the Son doesn't fit that, since he's in the same business, and if they mean Phyllis to be providing that... well... so far she's not.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I didn't catch the Charlie Rose joke. What part of the episode was it in?

When it was revealed that Murphy wore her pajama bottoms behind the news desk, she cracked that word was that Charlie Rose often didn't even wear pants. 

• Love 13
Just now, UYI said:

When it was revealed that Murphy wore her pajama bottoms behind the news desk, she cracked that word was that Charlie Rose often didn't even wear pants. 

Oh I see. Thanks.

Was it right at the beginning of the episode? I came in a few minutes late.

14 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Oh I see. Thanks.

Was it right at the beginning of the episode? I came in a few minutes late.

Pretty close to the beginning, yes. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It's a tale of two shows for me.  One is stilted.  The other has a great groove. 

You'd expect the great groove part of the show would be the part of the show that spent ten years together already but it's not.  That's the stilted part.  That's the part mired in expectations of being a show ready to make a statement about the current political times but it's also the part that I feel lacks passion, heart and direction.  It sometimes feels like someone writing Murphy in the Trump years fan fiction.

The part that has a great groove, IMO, is the newest part with Murphy and Avery.  That's the side that is grounded, flows and I feel like there's an actual vision/structure behind their stories.  Having two otherwise politically aligned journalists debating the merits of how to cover the current administration felt very real and successful to me.  Both had valid points and it served as a critique of the administration in a way that wasn't as on the nose as some of the jokes. 

I hate to say it given how much I enjoyed the characters of Frank, Corky and Miles in the original but the reboot might have been better formed without so much of the crew along for the ride.  Of the three, I think I'd probably keep Corky.

• Love 15

With the possible exception of Corky (who benefits from a deeper voice more than actual character work) I don't think any of these characters has changed at all in all the time off the air and I get why they made that choice but it just really, truly isn't a good look here.  

Miles it wears worse on because now he just feels like a man child in a not entertaining way at all. and Frank's obsession with meeting women just plays CREEPY. 

And the secretary thing went on way too long.  I don't mind the bit.  But to have it take up such long beats each episode is not good.  Not good at all.

And so far the only characters I like are the IT guy (but I like him more in Atypical because he's actually a whole character on that show rather than just the one joke) and Avery.   So the only characters working for me are new ones.  Probably not a great thing.

But for 2/3 of the episode  was taking it off my TIVO then that last scene with Avery was great.   That show?  That show it is a good show.  

• Love 10

This was.... not good. I thought this episode had a lot of promise based on the description but it felt very forced.  I like Avery though. They have a fun relationship.

It’s still more awkward than I’d like, but also still has enough going for it that I’m happy to stick around and see how/if things level out.  Murphy and Avery’s shared fundamental conception of but differing ways of being the fourth estate is a nice underpinning for which I am all in.  And I just love their relationship in general.  Avery unlocking his phone to record “I’m sorry” and making a loop of it his ringtone cracked me up.

As did “I spit on Wisconsin Avenue, which was a blue state that turned red, so it’s also sort of a statement.”  And Murphy’s assistant -- she was straight out of the original series.  “No, false alarm" as she didn't hurl.

The original font in the credits, and on Phil’s window and apron, and the gang at their old table at Phil’s, continue to make me so happy.

I like the continuity of Murphy being banned from the White House press room – Murphy did that back when it was just individual journalists being regarded as pariahs.  And her making calls trying to get back into the room reminded me of her trying to score a ticket to the Inaugural Ball when she was snubbed for the first time.  I like the callback.

Avery’s reaction to Murphy sneaking into the break room was great.

And bring it on for Murphy calling Huckabee Sanders out on her treatment of the press as an institution.  “The enemy of the people” is what’s happening, so if you’re going to do a show like this, how do you have Murphy respond other than with a full-throated “what the hell is wrong with you?” attack, and then what do you do other than call out the press going along with it -- but also have Avery point out that if legit journalists boycott the briefings, the only coverage of them will be from propagandists.  

But this episode was a drop-off from the first, and the revival isn't handling the news as entertainment/politics as bullshit angle with anything near the degree of sharpness it did the first time around (which, admittedly, was a high bar; this isn't bad, it's just that the original was great).  The first episode, fine, there will be rust and it was still pretty damn good in spite of that, but this one should have been better after everyone settled in.  I'm in for the long haul, but they can't afford to shed viewers like they will; I hope the next one (which was originally number four - and the last of those they shot in advance - and got moved up to number three) kills it, but if it's better than this one (as reviews seem to indicate) they should have moved it up another week.

• Love 22
39 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Frank's obsession with meeting women just plays CREEPY. 

Ditto.  If his character and Joe Regalbuto's ages are supposed to match up (age 69) I'm curious where they are going to go with a guy who is still not married and chasing after women.  Either they're going to claim he's gay or his true love was Murphy (BFF) all along.

I thought there was low hanging fruit last week......

I was disappointed SHS was referred to as "domineering".  If she were working for a different administration, she probably would have been referred to as someone who runs a tight ship.  Because she's the press secretary of this administration, she's "domineering".    Kind of reminds me of that classic comparison that if a man takes control he's being competent and no nonsense while a woman is called a b****.  I did however like the gag that she has a bit of a crush on Avery!

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I was disappointed SHS was referred to as "domineering".  If she were working for a different administration, she probably would have been referred to as someone who runs a tight ship.  Because she's the press secretary of this administration, she's "domineering".    Kind of reminds me of that classic comparison that if a man takes control he's being competent and no nonsense while a woman is called a b****.  I did however like the gag that she has a bit of a crush on Avery!

I'll agree with this. I could see if they'd wanted to make a point about how a woman is perceived in this kind of role via a man, but since they didn't, yeah. It doesn't work as well. Of all the things they could discuss in regards to her, that'd be about the last thing I'd think to bring up. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Ditto.  If his character and Joe Regalbuto's ages are supposed to match up (age 69) I'm curious where they are going to go with a guy who is still not married and chasing after women.  Either they're going to claim he's gay or his true love was Murphy (BFF) all along.

I thought there was low hanging fruit last week......

I don't know if any other administration would have ever had a press secretary like this. I would agree that Sanders has faced sexist attacks, but I don't think a man would be called competent or no-nonsense in her place, as Sean Spicer was ridiculed to no end. 

I think Frank is mostly a victim of gag-based writing that doesn't really change with the times. All of the supporting characters are. They add menopause jokes for Corky, but otherwise she's not far off what she was the first time around. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Either they're going to claim he's gay or his true love was Murphy (BFF) all along.

I agree his characterization comes off as creepy but I cannot fathom Dianne English pursuing either of those storylines.

• Love 3

When the original “Murphy Brown” came out, there weren’t as many politically based shows ( at least that I remember).  They had an outrageousness that other sit coms did not. Now, many shows are doing political humor, and doing it better.  Unfortunately, Candace Bergen’s speech pattern and delivery DOES sound stilted and as if she’s just reading her lines. I’m just not sure this reboot is translating as well to the present day.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, answerphone said:

Oh, please.  We all knew this revival would definitely have a political slant.

Don't pretend to think Murphy would be neutral regarding the current White House occupants!!

The political slant is not a problem - as long as it's funny. 

I wish they would lose the Murphy secretary thing.  Wasn't funny first time around.

9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Reminds me of a high school drama class.

7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

"Next thing you know I'm Bernie Madoff's bitch.'

This & the Charlie Rose line were amusing.

• Love 3

I am so disappointed. Candace Bergen can do funny so well, but we're not seeing it. She's best when she does self-deprecating physical stuff in the midst of being "serious." I haven't seen the other actors so recently. The "Avery" concept is excellent, but the writing misses more often than it hits. Humanizing SHS is a good idea, really. It can add substance to a comedy about the Washington press. I'm saying this as a  liberal who wants humor in serious times. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

the revival isn't handling the news as entertainment/politics as bullshit angle with anything near the degree of sharpness it did the first time around (which, admittedly, was a high bar...........it's just that the original was great). 

The problem isn't that the jokes are political. The problem is that they're just not good, not up to original recipe standards.

I know there are writers out there who can handle political humor. They're just not on this show. (call Bill Maher, stat!)

The secondary characters were old and worn out when Murphy went up on the shelf 10 years ago and they haven't improved with age. I cringe every time Frank is on the screen.  How tone deaf do the writers have to be to include  indulge in this crap? I hate that none of them have changed or matured in the last 10 years. That could have added a wealth of interesting material to these boring one-note caricatures.

I am not experiencing a reunion of old friends. It's more like running into the old gang and wondering what you ever saw in them.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 5

I must be really out of touch more then I ever thought because I never stopped laughing.  Tyne Dally actually made me laugh.  This was the Murphy Brown I remember of old.  The bull Dozer who acts first and faces the consequences later.  She has been banned from the White House for decades. Honestly it makes me wish she was on during the Obama era.

i missed this show.....

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 17
11 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Preachy, with no laughs.

I laughed at the Cosette Peugot/Cosette LePew part, but that's about it.

9 hours ago, UYI said:

Okay, I did laugh at that as well.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Miles it wears worse on because now he just feels like a man child in a not entertaining way at all. and Frank's obsession with meeting women just plays CREEPY. 

To me, it doesn't come off as creepy, just as desperate.  I guess I know some men like that, and that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

• Love 3

I liked this episode better than last weeks, but I thought the reaction in the press room was wrong, I expected them to cheer for Murphy's speech because she was 100% correct and was disappointed they didn't.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, partofme said:

I liked this episode better than last weeks, but I thought the reaction in the press room was wrong, I expected them to cheer for Murphy's speech because she was 100% correct and was disappointed they didn't.  

As someone who works in TV news I can honestly say I wasn’t surprised as the other reporters not joining in.  These people yearn to be there and they don’t want to give up being that close to the President (regardless of political affiliation).  They play ball otherwise they can’t attend the game.  

• Love 17
3 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

I wish they would lose the Murphy secretary thing.  Wasn't funny first time around.

That was one of my favorite things about the original, looking forward to see what kind of whack job HR sent her each week.  I'm glad they are continuing the tradition - it wouldn't be Murphy Brown without it.  As always, YMMV.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I must be really out of touch more then I ever thought because I never stopped laughing.  Tyne Dally actually made me laugh.  This was the Murphy Brown I remember of old.  The bull Dozer who acts first and faces the consequences later.  She has been banned from the White House for decades. Honestly it makes me wish she was on during the Obama era.

i missed this show.....

I must be the most out of touch 29 year old woman ever, because I've NEVER been bothered by the references that this show/other shows like All in the Family make that everyone holds against them as dated. What can I say? I love classic TV! Sue me. (No, don't do that. I'm poor, lol.) 

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

“I spit on Wisconsin Avenue, which was a blue state that turned red, so it’s also sort of a statement.”  Murphy’s

THAT was the one liner of the night to me. So of course it completely slipped my mind when I posted here after the show last night. Sigh. But yes, that was the one that made laugh the hardest. 

• Love 14

Actually the secretary/assistant was the only laugh I got out of this whole thing. The show still feels dated, stilted and forced. They need to do better.

I wonder how they can use clips of SHS like that without getting into trouble. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big outcry from the White House already.

Probably not many people noticed, because it was mostly covered by his jacket, but Avery was wearing a "Pod Save America" t-shirt. Pod Save America is a left-leaning podcast hosted by Jon Favreau and Jon Lovett, two former speech writers for Obama. I doubt very much Avery would get away with wearing that at the "Wolf" network.

But it has to be surrounded by sharper and more satirical less middle of the road jokes, more modern shot selection and editing, dimming the hell down the laugh track

Tsk tsk tsk. You youngin's today. You don't really understand what a "laugh track" is. This show does not have a laugh track, it is filmed before a live studio audience, and the laughter you hear is from that audience. A laugh track is canned, or pre-recorded laughter, added to a show that does not film in front of an audience, in post production. They used laugh tracks on old sitcoms like Leave It To Beaver and The Brady Bunch. They don't use them anymore. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Actually the secretary/assistant was the only laugh I got out of this whole thing. The show still feels dated, stilted and forced. They need to do better.

I wonder how they can use clips of SHS like that without getting into trouble. I'm surprised there hasn't been a big outcry from the White House already.

Probably not many people noticed, because it was mostly covered by his jacket, but Avery was wearing a "Pod Save America" t-shirt. Pod Save America is a left-leaning podcast hosted by Jon Favreau and Jon Lovett, two former speech writers for Obama. I doubt very much Avery would get away with wearing that at the "Wolf" network.

Tsk tsk tsk. You youngin's today. You don't really understand what a "laugh track" is. This show does not have a laugh track, it is filmed before a live studio audience, and the laughter you hear is from that audience. A laugh track is canned, or pre-recorded laughter, added to a show that does not film in front of an audience, in post production. They used laugh tracks on old sitcoms like Leave It To Beaver and The Brady Bunch. They don't use them anymore. 

Regarding Avery’s button, it would definitely be discouraged at the office due to it being a political item.  Even if he worked at a more liberal network, it applies.

As for laugh tracks they are still in use.  Usually the stronger studio audience reaction is selected for broadcast but in case a joke bombs, they use it to punch it up.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I noticed that and it made me giggle. Someone who works on the show must be a fan of the pod because last week another pod cohost and former Obama Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer's  book Yes We Still Can  was on Murphy's coffee table

• Love 5