Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E02: The Chicken Has Flown the Coop

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 10/3/2018 at 8:06 PM, vb68 said:

I was really confused on why Lyrsa is considered the weakest woman on the tribe. I don't get that.

If they were really going after the weakest, it probably would have been Gabby or Jessica herself.  Who would you think is stronger: one of those two stick figures, or the woman more built like a linebacker?  (Seriously, it would not surprise me one iota to learn that Lyrsa is or has been a roller derby chick.)  So it seemed to be a coded, acceptable way of saying, "We're targeting the purple-haired, pierced, punk rock Puerto Rican (lesbian)*."  Meaning, the obviously "different" person.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:07 PM, PaperTree said:

Cool!  Hashtag your way out of here, Jessica.

She was really starting to bother me,  Now we don't have to listen to this BS about her being too young to drink in any future rewards.  I wish they wouldn't cast anybody under 21 and just avoid this moralistic nonsense.  Besides, is there even a legal age in Fiji? 

It doesn't matter what the Fijian laws are or aren't.  Survivor is bound by US laws, including the drinking age.  The only way Michael got around that last season was by lying and maintaining the lie all the way through.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:40 PM, Alice Mudgarden said:

What was with Gabby's needy insecure girl routine when talking to Christian?

Survivor paranoia turned up to 11 with all the talk about "voting out the weakest" when she would be on that short list (and actually self aware of that fact, Natalie.)  So she needed assurance from her primary ally that she wasn't a target...or at the very least not his.  As said at TC, trust is the rarest commodity on Survivor, and she needed to know that hers was not misplaced.

*While Lyrsa did say in a TH (I think the one about her "surprising" alliance with Elizabeth because they are so different) that she is a lesbian, I don't know if that was common knowledge to the rest of the tribe.

• Love 6

I did want to point out that this isn't normal weather. Someone asked if this was filmed during the cyclones. Yes, it was. In The Hollywood Reporter's write-up about episode one, when explaining what happened to Pat, there's the following: "Mere minutes into that trip, the David tribe's boat encountered rough waters, due to the turbulent weather conditions brought on by Tropical Cyclone Josie, a storm that claimed at least four lives in Fiji in early April." (source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-david-goliath-season-premiere-explained-1147071)

Later in that write-up, it goes on to talk about the fire-making kit and tarp:

Due to the severity of the incident and the severity of the weather, Probst and the production team offered some assistance to the castaways in their struggle to weather the weather.

"Last night at about 3 a.m. we made the decision to send out an emergency fire-making kit," said Probst on the fourth day of filming. "We also sent a tarp with a note from me that says, 'This is unprecedented. Both tribes won fire, one by winning a challenge, and one by losing.' When you lose a challenge, you go to Tribal and get fire. [David] didn't get to Tribal, but they have fire, philosophically. In the spirit of the game, we always feel like you should have the chance to make fire. It would be too far to not even let you make fire.

"This morning, they received that package, and the note basically says, 'Use the fire-making kit to get the fire going. Use the tarp to stay dry until you don't need it. Then give it back to me.' In typical Survivor fashion, the note ends: 'If I have to ask for it, it will cost you more than the tarp.' There's an implied agreement that they deserve a break today, but they aren't getting the tarp for the rest of the run. This is Survivor. I fully expect they'll bring the tarp back at the next challenge, and if not, the one after that. We did this in Millennials vs. Gen X [in which the full cast was temporarily evacuated from the game due to cyclone conditions], and that's what they did."

So they got the fire-making kit because it was a cyclone and without it, the chance of making fire was pitiful. The tarp was a temporary loan to get them through the worst if it.

Now... Moving on to the challenge. I thought when watching it that Bi was simply too short to be effective at the ladder portion. On the other hand, I'm not sure who they would have switched her with. There's no guarantee that Nick has the agility to balance and do that. That said, none of that mattered because the puzzle took well over an hour to do, and the Davids clearly could have won had they been organized, worked together, and not gotten flustered. And that puzzle did not involve strength.

So all this talk about how big and tall and strong the other team is? Who cares. They lost because they didn't work well together.

As for why people were targeted... I imagine Lyrsa was targeted both because the Davids are stuck on the idea of conserving strength (so a woman has to go, according to Christian), she's small and chunky, and she didn't seem to immediately bond with others as quickly (except Elizabeth).

As to why Jessica was chosen as the target? Elizabeth needed to get Gabby on her side to save Lyrsa. She also knows that the tribe is on a big strength kick and wants to vote out a woman. That leaves either Bi or Jessica. According to Jessica's exit interview that someone posted earlier in the thread, Jessica seemed to think Bi and Gabby had a good relationship. Even if she was wrong and they didn't, that would indicate to me that Bi and Gabby were closer than Gabby and Jessica. So when asking Gabby to flip, the target should be the one she isn't as close to: Jessica. And as Elizabeth pointed out, Jessica was a lynchpin in her alliance. (We did see Carl say in ep 1 that she reminded him of his daughter so he was going to protect her, and we saw her and Bi bonding during the storm when Jessica talked about her mom's abusive relationship and Bi spoke up to say being there for her mom may have saved her mom's life.)

I didn't necessarily get a mean girls vibe from Jessica and Bi, btw. I got an "It's still the same plan, but we don't want to talk things to death" vibe. And after watching Gabby's moment with Christian, part of me wonders if Gabby does have a somewhat needy personality that craves reassurance and they were afraid that if Gabby got started, they'd just have to keep talking and talking and talking... and they just couldn't make themselves do it. Which was a strategic mistake.

That said, it was still a very satisfying blindside.

Whoever said they can't tell the difference between the two brunettes (Natalya and Angelina) on Goliath? I'm right there with you.

There was probably more, but this was already too long. ;) 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, green said:

I like Christian and Nick working together though as others said above, Nick is not a student of history.  Mr Mason was from Pennsylvania and Mr Dixon was from Maryland and they were surveying the state boundary between the two though in the Civil War context later Maryland ended up "north of the line" thanks to Lincoln's fudging a major legal concept but maybe saving the Union as a result.  It certainly saved Washington DC in the short term.

Mason & Dixon were both from England!  I suppose Nick meant that the northern border of Kentucky was also a northern limit of slavery/The South, but it was definitely not the Mason-Dixon line proper.

11 minutes ago, simplyme said:

Whoever said they can't tell the difference between the two brunettes (Natalya and Angelina) on Goliath? I'm right there with you.

Angelina was the one with the first TH in the premiere; the one that was arrogant enough to make us want to root for the Davids.  She also looks a bit like RC, mainly in the nose area.

Natalya is the one that recognized Mike from TAR.  Somewhat ironically, she looks a bit like a dark-haired Abi-Maria, again mainly around the nose.

18 hours ago, jumper sage said:

The 3 girls who have 'guys wrapped around their little fingers' are all on Goliath?

This show seems to like "taking down" braggarts and people who are unreasonably highly confident - or perhaps I should say "over-confident".

The 3 ladies who spoke about having the men "wrapped around their fingers" are perfect examples of those people. I expect to see them evicted very shortly. I chuckled as they spoke about having those men "wrapped around their fingers" (actually, to be fair, I think it was only one who said that and the others just nodded to avoid problems).

It just seems so obvious that they are a very long ways away from having the men "wrapped" anywhere.

As far as Gabby goes, I feel conflicted. Sometimes I really like her. I get the feeling she'd make a wonderful girlfriend. She needs some help with her confidence. But it would not be difficult to help her with that and I think it would be a lot of fun too. I like her. She's a sweet lady.  Either that, or I'm a sucker for ladies who feign a lack of confidence.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 6
On 10/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, SVNBob said:

Survivor paranoia turned up to 11 with all the talk about "voting out the weakest" when she would be on that short list (and actually self aware of that fact, Natalie.)  So she needed assurance from her primary ally that she wasn't a target...or at the very least not his.  As said at TC, trust is the rarest commodity on Survivor, and she needed to know that hers was not misplaced.

Yes. I would say you have that "clocked" pretty well.

Edited by MissBluxom
16 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Gabby was literally playing in the sand with her hand at the time, pushing it around and making tracks. Maybe Christian thought it was a game or that she wanted to play tic tac toe or something. 

Whatever her intent, it sure did seem to be very sensuous and exciting to me. I would have been up for whatever she was suggesting. I felt like saying, "Oh yes, Gabby. Let's go behind those trees and play a little. Come on Gabby. LET'S GO!

16 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

If it is an angle, I kind of like it.   It would bother me more if it was genuine.  

I got the feeling their relationship (Christian & Gabby) is on track to develop just like Boston Rob and Amber's. Looking into the future, I can see a lovely family with a whole brood of geeklings.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

If they were really going after the weakest, it probably would have been Gabby or Jessica herself.  Who would you think is stronger: one of those two stick figures, or the woman more built like a linebacker?  (Seriously, it would not surprise me one iota to learn that Lyrsa is or has been a roller derby chick.)  So it seemed to be a coded, acceptable way of saying, "We're targeting the purple-haired, pierced, punk rock Puerto Rican (lesbian)*."  Meaning, the obviously "different" person.

It doesn't matter what the Fijian laws are or aren't.  Survivor is bound by US laws, including the drinking age.  The only way Michael got around that last season was by lying and maintaining the lie all the way through.

*While Lyrsa did say in a TH (I think the one about her "surprising" alliance with Elizabeth because they are so different) that she is a lesbian, I don't know if that was common knowledge to the rest of the tribe.

How is Survivor bound by US drinking laws while not in the US?

Michael lied to his fellow castaways but the producers were well aware of his age and allowed him to drink.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Not just drinking laws; all laws.  It's part of the Survivor Rulebook.  As for why, I assume that CBS Legal put that in as a COA clause.

a) Drinking age laws are state laws, not US Law.  There is a Federal law that reduces highway funds for states that have an age lower than 21, and all states have set the age at 21.  But they are still state laws.

b) According to the contract, Survivor can require the contestants to follow US laws.  It doesn't mean Survivor is under any legal obligation to obey or enforce laws of a country they are not in.

c) The producers knew Michael was under 21 but allowed him to drink and broadcast it on national TV.  They never would have done this if it was illegal.

• Love 2

RE:  "Natalie Napalm" 

I have a strong suspicion that it's not the FIRST time she's ever used that term to refer to herself.  I can see her at a weekly meeting with her staff in the business world, "This needs to be done TODAY or you will see "Natalie Napalm."  That's why her people would "take a bullet" for her.  They get shot while doing dangerous things to avoid the napalm.

• Love 10

Didn't see the episode until last night because of BASEBALL! So my thoughts are stale but here they are:

Talk about social dynamics! So interesting -- and a bit depressing -- that even the underdog tribe immediately split into cool kids and outcasts! Really enjoyed seeing the underdogs of the underdogs take over and pull off the first blindside. Will make for interesting scenes next week!

While Bi lost that challenge, and is definitely showing mean girl tendencies, I did love her speech to her tribemates about not being intimidated by the Goliaths. They need to keep her around for that attitude alone.

Speaking of Goliaths:  Dan = Fessy 2.0. -- Big, pretty & dumb.

For all those still annoyed (I know I am) by people being allowed to mess with someone else's stuff -- remember, blame Rupert! He was the first to do this when he stole the other team's shoes and production thought it was O. So. Cute. It sucks, it isn't cute, and it leads to stuff like psycho sadist Hantz burning people's clothes. Games are supposed to have rules, that's why they're games and not Lord of the Flies.

Natalie can't leave soon enough. She brings literally nothing to the table yet thinks she's all that, 2 bags of chips and an extra-large milkshake. And her threats are ludicrous -- she has no allies, no idols, no power, no leverage whatsoever. What's she gonna do, reveal that people are talking to each and playing the game? Ooh, what a revelation! That'll sure shake things up! Working for her must be a nightmare.

So far the challenges seem well-designed for the theme -- no real brute strength challenges yet so both sides have a winning chance. Right now it's the teamwork that's the difference, and I'm sure some of the Goliaths have played team sports so they're more used to working together with others. Still, that's no excuse for the Davids' pathetic showing. There was nothing in that challenge beyond their abilities.

I don't think Gabby is putting anything on. I think what we see is what we get, rampant insecurity and all. I have no problem with it, I think she's adorable, and smart, and I hope her 'thing' with Christian blossoms into a real romance. They'd certainly have some smart, twitchy, neurotic babies!

So far this is a great season, with a mostly likable and interesting cast. The theme is stupid but like every Survivor theme, it won't last beyond another week or two. 

Okay, enough babbling from me. You guys babble for a while.

• Love 13
On 10/4/2018 at 5:16 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

LOL.   I love this article, thanks for linking it.  The show's been on so long now that people's memories exaggerate the camp conditions in past seasons.

The article referred to bubbling pots of rice. I remember a lot of tapioca that they cooked and ate, which looks like rice. They had some rice but had to use the tapioca to make up something to eat once they ran out of rice.

My favorite moment in history is Rudy running from tree to tree, reading the clues and saying, “I dunno....”  I named my tabby cat after him. :) Met him on my birthday the following year.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

The article referred to bubbling pots of rice. I remember a lot of tapioca that they cooked and ate, which looks like rice. They had some rice but had to use the tapioca to make up something to eat once they ran out of rice.

My favorite moment in history is Rudy running from tree to tree, reading the clues and saying, “I dunno....”  I named my tabby cat after him. :) Met him on my birthday the following year.

I loved the Rudy "I dunno" sequence! I also recall a sequence of Sue wandering through the woods muttering "tapioca" while she looked for food.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Two?  Now you’re talking some REAL money, sailor.

It really doesn't matter if it comes* off the rim, as long as it gets in.  

* I might have misspelled that. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4

Khaleesi (11) is not a fan of Lyrsa. A gem, from when she was post-challenge whining about the unfairness of it all: 

"It's so unfair"..? "They're so big it's like they're invincible"...?" Who are you, [redacted]? (an 11 year old in her class) and you're mad you haven't had your growth spurt yet? You're like 25 years old, if you want to be stronger buy some sneakers and pick up some weights. The challenges aren't boxing matches. 

But even better, when Natalie was being Natalie on Goliath:

It's like Natalie thinks she's watching the show from home, except her living room is suddenly covered with sand and bamboo leaves and she doesn't notice. 

And re: Jessica's overconfidence at Tribal Council:

Jessica seems to think that if someone's not playing with her they're not playing the game. Ok, egomaniac.

She and Bi looked so shocked that everyone didn't do what they said... I don't think those two are as David-y as they'd like us to believe. 

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

How is Survivor bound by US drinking laws while not in the US?

Michael lied to his fellow castaways but the producers were well aware of his age and allowed him to drink.

No they didn't. Michael did not drink, neither did Julia in Kaoh Rong.  When they got to Ponderosa well  that is another story.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

Regarding Lyrsa being "weak" we need to realize we are only seeing little edit snippets of a challenges that last well over in a hour (as was the case) the other night.  We have no idea what transpired during that time on who screwed the most, who wasn't contributing, etc.  It should also be noted that from what we saw the only person I saw questioning that Lyrsa wasn't "weak" was Lyrsa herself.  Now of course other might have expressed that opinion and we just never shown it.  So who knows. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Drogo said:

Khaleesi (11) is not a fan of Lyrsa. A gem, from when she was post-challenge whining about the unfairness of it all: 

"It's so unfair"..? "They're so big it's like they're invincible"...?" Who are you, [redacted]? (an 11 year old in her class) and you're mad you haven't had your growth spurt yet? You're like 25 years old, if you want to be stronger buy some sneakers and pick up some weights. The challenges aren't boxing matches. 

It's like Natalie thinks she's watching the show from home, except her living room is suddenly covered with sand and bamboo leaves and she doesn't notice. 

Jessica seems to think that if someone's not playing with her they're not playing the game. Ok, egomaniac.

She and Bi looked so shocked that everyone didn't do what they said... I don't think those two are as David-y as they'd like us to believe. 

Bolded my favorite, because at the time I was thinking the exact same thing.

I missed Khaleesi.  :)

Edited by Nashville
Get bold!
  • Love 3

Just watched last night. 
I am so HERE for Elizabeth and I'm impressed with her strategy so far. She's the first homeschooler we've ever had on Survivor, right? For all the different "identity" iterations the show has emphasized, it's funny that it's taken over 30 seasons for a homeschooler to show up. I was homeschooled myself and while there are certainly lots of socially awkward homeschoolers, it does give kids the opportunity to practice making relationships with people who are older/younger than you, rather than 13+ years of always being in a class of students exactly your age. I noticed that she wore a two-piece swimsuit too (although a pretty "sporty" style) and easily made friends with Lyrssa so I don't think she's as conservative as the initial editing would have us believe.

I don't know if I just haven't been paying attention as well as the rest of you, but I'm not as familiar with the players' names as the rest of you.
On the Davids I know: Nick, Christian, Gabby, Elizabeth, Lyrssa, Pat (evac). I realized there was a Jessica, Davie, and Bi this episode. But I'm still missing one guy.

On the Goliaths it's worse: Natalie, Jeremy, Mike, blonde doctor lady, young cop dude, someone named Kara but I don't remember her face..., dark hair girl (Natalia)? Oh and the wrestler! 

Guess I better head back to the CBS website haha

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Drogo said:

LOL!!  I adore your girl.  

• Love 3
On 10/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, Drogo said:

There is just no doubt that your girl sounds very special.

I'm sure you have probably told the story of how she got the name "Khaleesi" and probably more than once. But, if you don't mind, could you tell it again? I've never heard it before and I would like to know. Please?

• Love 1

I wish the David’s team had some people in decent shape.  It is not fun for me watching the two teams compete.  I get the theme, but in the story I never imagined an out of shaped man for David.   I wanted Lyrsa to go home and not mainly because she’s might be the weakest.  It is because she does not take correction well which is more crucial on a team with no athletic skills or stamina.  The outcome to me came out of fear than what was best for the team.

Edited by DaisyFields500
  • Love 1

TPTB are doing a collective 'oh shit' as they see how the casting is playing out.  How did they not see the disparity in athletic ability?  I sense an earlier team scramble than originally planned.  And yes please, hurry up. 

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 9:17 PM, Melina22 said:

I know what you mean, and yet I can understand why it keeps happening. A lot of the challenges require brute force, especially early in the game, which puts all but the very fittest, strongest women at a disadvantage. I don't know what the solution is, other than to only have challenges where strength isn't a factor. That doesn't seem like a great solution either, though. 

Except they don't care about "brute strength" when it's some dude who gets kept around. They kept fucking Donathan because "we might need someone light to lift in some challenge." It's just assholes being assholes, and Christian is a self-satisfied asshole. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DaisyFields500 said:

I wish the David’s team had some people in decent shape.  It is not fun for me watching the two teams compete.  I get the theme, but in the story I never imagined an out of shaped man for David.   I wanted Lyrsa to go home and not mainly because she’s might be the weakest.  It is because she does not take correction well which is more crucial on a team with no athletic skills or stamina.  The outcome to me came out of fear than what was best for the team.

Except the Davids really aren't in that bad of shape, and they haven't lost either of the immunity challenges because the other team is amazingly fit and they aren't.

They lost the first immunity challenge bc they chose Carl to get under the log in the sand. He got stuck, and when he got free he appeared to literally mosey over and cut the rope. They still appeared to almost make up the time difference on the puzzle. So had they either a) chosen someone other than Carl, or b) had Carl, though exhausted, at least shown some urgency, the Davids might have won the first immunity.

The second immunity challenge the Davids took significantly more time on the physical portion, but again could have won it on the puzzle had they not bumbled around. Yes, on the physical portion they seemed to be hampered by Bi's lack of height and then their inability to paddle together and control their raft (which again is not a brute strength thing.) But they had over an hour on the puzzle, so none of that mattered. Survivor has done a good job of making sure what matters MOST is your team working together and staying calm. From the bits we saw, they were dumping pieces as they turned to talk to each other instead of focusing, so they lost.

So strength is a red herring right now... but if you're a David and that narrative serves your need to move the target where you want it and no one wants to risk rocking the boat by speaking up, then that's what we'll hear.

• Love 10
On 2018-10-04 at 10:37 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Nose rings make me think of boogers.

Also, I feel like nose rings (or piercings) say, "hi, let me emphasize one of the least attractive parts of the human face. please stare at my schnozzle as you talk to me."

Bi was so painfully slow in that challenge, it felt like time was slowing down. Molasses moves faster.

Hey, that reminds me. I know they don't have mirrors, but what's up with asking your tribesmate if you have boogers in your own nose? Now, THAT'S disgusting to me, not the septum nose ring. I am not crazy about those rings (I prefer the ones on the side of the nose), but I see it as personal preference, just like tattoos. 

Agreed, Bi did look as if she wasn't trying but it was easily apparent to me that it was difficult to stretch her arm down that far to grab the rung back. A tall person (without a fear of heights), would have been a better choice. And Christian (the puzzle god) should have been the sole director of the team, since everyone knew about his expertise in puzzles. Instead, we had a chaotic, undirected mess that lost them the challenge.

On 2018-10-05 at 4:28 AM, SVNBob said:

Angelina was the one with the first TH in the premiere; the one that was arrogant enough to make us want to root for the Davids.  She also looks a bit like RC, mainly in the nose area.

Natalya is the one that recognized Mike from TAR.  Somewhat ironically, she looks a bit like a dark-haired Abi-Maria, again mainly around the nose.

Who is RC?

On 2018-10-05 at 10:16 AM, AZChristian said:

RE:  "Natalie Napalm" 

I have a strong suspicion that it's not the FIRST time she's ever used that term to refer to herself.  I can see her at a weekly meeting with her staff in the business world, "This needs to be done TODAY or you will see "Natalie Napalm."  That's why her people would "take a bullet" for her.  They get shot while doing dangerous things to avoid the napalm.

What kind of dangerous things would one encounter in publishing? A fight at Fashion Week, getting turfed from a Trump Rally? Maybe standing beside Mark Burnett at the Emmy Awards?

On 2018-10-05 at 10:56 AM, Gummo said:

While Bi lost that challenge, and is definitely showing mean girl tendencies, I did love her speech to her tribemates about not being intimidated by the Goliaths. They need to keep her around for that attitude alone.

Speaking of Goliaths:  Dan = Fessy 2.0. -- Big, pretty & dumb.

For all those still annoyed (I know I am) by people being allowed to mess with someone else's stuff -- remember, blame Rupert! He was the first to do this when he stole the other team's shoes and production thought it was O. So. Cute. It sucks, it isn't cute, and it leads to stuff like psycho sadist Hantz burning people's clothes. Games are supposed to have rules, that's why they're games and not Lord of the Flies.

So far the challenges seem well-designed for the theme -- no real brute strength challenges yet so both sides have a winning chance. Right now it's the teamwork that's the difference, and I'm sure some of the Goliaths have played team sports so they're more used to working together with others. Still, that's no excuse for the Davids' pathetic showing. There was nothing in that challenge beyond their abilities.

I don't think Gabby is putting anything on. I think what we see is what we get, rampant insecurity and all. I have no problem with it, I think she's adorable, and smart, and I hope her 'thing' with Christian blossoms into a real romance. They'd certainly have some smart, twitchy, neurotic babies!

So far this is a great season, with a mostly likable and interesting cast. The theme is stupid but like every Survivor theme, it won't last beyond another week or two. 

Okay, enough babbling from me. You guys babble for a while.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Bi after seeing her performance in the challenge and the attitude she gave Gabby.

Now, I don't think it's fair to call Dan a Fessy 2.0 I don't know if it is possible to be as dumb as Fessy. Let's wait at least to see if Dan will parade around in camp wearing a palm frond cape.

I don't really agree with going thru another tribemate's personal effects but.....it's Jeremy!! And I didn't mind when Rupert did it either. Probably because that theme that year was pirates...and as Rupert said, stealing shoes is kind of a pirate thing to do! I thought it was funny and really liked Rupert that season. Unfortunately that wore off the more times he came back.

• Love 10

We've had showmances before, but is this the first-ever Survivor love triangle? (Gabby/Christian/Nick).

@KimberStormer evoked Michelle on mvgx with this vote, and honestly that's who the Davids are reminding me of (alliance-wise, not personality-wise). This means if/when they swap, the ones on the wrong side of the numbers are going to make new alliances. On one hand, I hate that will probably help the Goliaths, but on the other, I'm so sick of Naviti Strong. We've had pretty much two seasons where it's been mostly voting along tribal lines (not counting the Heroes/Hustlers-take-out-Healers gambit), so let's mix it up a little.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

RC and Abi-Maria are beautiful contestants from Survivor Phillippines 

I remember Abi-Maria because she was incredibly rude and she did come back in another season but RC? I just have no memory of that one at all. I assume it's a woman? I do think that if we are referring to tribespeople from previous seasons that the season and their significance should be noted in the same post. There are many people here that have trouble remembering who is in the current season (especially in the early episodes) so adding extra castaways from past seasons is just plain confusing. Even if I have watched them, I don't usually remember them unless they were standouts, appeared many times, and/or won (Boston Rob, Rob Hatch etc.) I am amazed when fans can recite countless bits of trivia about people I have long forgotten. And usually skip the remainder of their posts....not you of course, but in the past I have started to read long paeans to Yau-man Chan..........zzzzzz  (I actually had to look up a Survivor Wiki to find his name)

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 10:52 PM, Wings said:

TPTB are doing a collective 'oh shit' as they see how the casting is playing out.  How did they not see the disparity in athletic ability?  I sense an earlier team scramble than originally planned.  And yes please, hurry up. 

I have often complained how JP seems to express the attitude this show is humanity's single greatest achievement. I believe the reason he does this is due to his sudden large increase in income and his accompanying sense of self-importance. Nontheless, I must admit that although I feel so ashamed, I sure do envy his rise to fame and fortune. It's like a dream come true for him and a horrible nightmare for me. But it's just too difficult to argue with the facts.

When will the Gods of Cosmic Justice finally intervene? Would any of you care to guess? Please? It's got to happen soon. Doesn't it?  I just don't understand. How has JP been able to defy the laws of nature for so long now?

Is it possible he maybe made a deal with the Devil?  Could that possibly be true? If so, do you think we may ever witness the conclusion of that deal? Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a swift conclusion and to see justice prevail?

Edited by MissBluxom
On 10/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, Drogo said:

Can you tell us the address of the Khaleesi Fan Club?  I'm thinking I'd like to join.  If there is no physical address like most other fan clubs have, please can you tell us the easiest way for us to "sign up"?  If she hasn't started one yet, I would just like to suggest that, as a minimum, a monthly newsletter - maybe just a page or two that summarizes her current opinions and predictions for this show (as well as yours too) would be sufficient to keep the members satisfied?

Of course, some pictures of you and her together,  would always make for a nice touch and I would guess the membership would surely enjoy those.

But the  most important thing of all, would be some tidbits of her wisdom when she has any opinions about what is likely to happen to the  characters in this show.

P.S. Why do you refer to her as "Khaleesi (11)"?  Have you ever been married before?

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Can you tell us the address of the Khaleesi Fan Club?  I'm thinking I'd like to join.  If there is no physical address like most other fan clubs have, please can you tell us the easiest way for us to "sign up"?  If she hasn't started one yet, I would just like to suggest that, as a minimum, a monthly newsletter - maybe just a page or two that summarizes her current opinions and predictions for this show (as well as yours too) would be sufficient to keep the members satisfied?

Of course, some pictures of you and her together,  would always make for a nice touch and I would guess the membership would surely enjoy those.

But the  most important thing of all, would be some tidbits of her wisdom when she has any opinions about what is likely to happen to the  characters in this show.

P.S. Why do you refer to her as "Khaleesi (11)"?  Have you ever been married before?

Khaleesi is 11 lol

• Love 2
On 10/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, Gummo said:

Natalie can't leave soon enough. She brings literally nothing to the table yet thinks she's all that, 2 bags of chips and an extra-large milkshake. And her threats are ludicrous -- she has no allies, no idols, no power, no leverage whatsoever. What's she gonna do, reveal that people are talking to each and playing the game? Ooh, what a revelation! That'll sure shake things up! Working for her must be a nightmare.

I'm hoping to hear from some of her former (or soon to be former) employees :)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I have often complained how JP seems to express the attitude this show is humanity's single greatest achievement. I believe the reason he does this is due to his sudden large increase in income and his accompanying sense of self-importance. Nontheless, I must admit that although I feel so ashamed, I sure do envy his rise to fame and fortune. It's like a dream come true for him and a horrible nightmare for me. But it's just too difficult to argue with the facts.

When will the Gods of Cosmic Justice finally intervene? Would any of you care to guess? Please? It's got to happen soon. Doesn't it?  I just don't understand. How has JP been able to defy the laws of nature for so long now?

Is it possible he maybe made a deal with the Devil?  Could that possibly be true? If so, do you think we may ever witness the conclusion of that deal? Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a swift conclusion and to see justice prevail?

I remember how likable he was in the early seasons. I actually thought he was cute! He made it into People Magazine's Most Beautiful section around that time. Several of the castaways were excited to meet him. Then he wrote and directed a very successful indie film. None of that seemed to change him.

Then he threatened to leave until they offered him goodies to stay (executive producer etc.) That seems to have been when the rot started. Or maybe getting divorced? I do know that he isn't a very good host any more and his talk show was a riveting disaster. All I can remember is Probst going on and on about himself and his second wife (who was doing something in the production booth). It was as bad as the Chevy Chase talk show. I guess success spoils some people, as does money. Or maybe hanging around Mark Burnett so much has rubbed off. I would like to see somebody different now, but I don't think it would be easy to find the right one. Someone not so obtrusive perhaps, like Phil Keoghan (The Amazing Race). Or Boston Rob, because I find him funny. (Although many many people would hate that!) Or Richard Hatch. I find him wildly entertaining.

Has anyone mentioned the grandiosity of the new tribal council area? I think it was purposely built to be intimidating and to reinforce the "importance and gravity" of tribal council, especially after the last few seasons, when Tribal was allowed to degenerate into a particularly raucous study hall detention session, with students, er, I mean, contestants whispering and pointing -- the only thing missing was spitballs and people passing notes back and forth. I think with the massive arches and giant fake stones, Burnett and Probst are trying to re-instill a sense of awe (at least in the contestants)  about tribal council.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

Hey, that reminds me. I know they don't have mirrors, but what's up with asking your tribesmate if you have boogers in your own nose? Now, THAT'S disgusting to me, not the septum nose ring.

Well... they are on national TV, so pick your poison.  Which is more embarrassing:

1. Being caught on camera asking a tribemate for a snot check?
  2. Or doing a TH with millions of viewers focusing on the Jolly Green Giant hanging out of your schnozz?

Think I’d be going with #1 as well - less meme-worthy.  :>

13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Well... they are on national TV, so pick your poison.  Which is more embarrassing:

1. Being caught on camera asking a tribemate for a snot check?
  2. Or doing a TH with millions of viewers focusing on the Jolly Green Giant hanging out of your schnozz?

Think I’d be going with #1 as well - less meme-worthy.  :>

3. Walk over to a camera turned off and look at it yourself. Or discreetly wipe your nose on your shirt (or buff) if you have anything. A little hint? if you press the side of your nose beside a nostril, and it sticks shut for a moment, there's something there. (I couldn't quite find the gif that most nearly matched that, so I chose this one instead!)

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbb7f9b51356c3632

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

I'm dying over this.  I considered creating a Youtube channel for her to do recaps, but she didn't want friends at school to see because Survivor is... wait for it... 'kind of an Old Person Show.'  To answer the earlier post - Khaleesi's not her real name, it's a nickname I use to protect her privacy online; it's Game of Thrones related like my own username.  [Though in real life I often yell up the stairs when dinner is ready: "KHALEEEEEEEEEEESIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!" like Jorah Mormont.]  Her fan club meets right here, and I'll post her thoughts ("gems") after we see each episode. 

I'm just so excited she's watching this with me again (albeit on Fridays because middle school has too much homework during the week.)

19 hours ago, simplyme said:

The second immunity challenge the Davids took significantly more time on the physical portion, but again could have won it on the puzzle had they not bumbled around. Yes, on the physical portion they seemed to be hampered by Bi's lack of height and then their inability to paddle together and control their raft (which again is not a brute strength thing.) But they had over an hour on the puzzle, so none of that mattered. Survivor has done a good job of making sure what matters MOST is your team working together and staying calm. From the bits we saw, they were dumping pieces as they turned to talk to each other instead of focusing, so they lost.

Agree with your whole post.  Khaleesi made a similar point in that these challenges aren't 'boxing matches.'  Also, a puzzle portion is always the great equalizer. 

Did you happen to notice the Davids' puzzle during the 2nd IC?  It wasn't the wobbly platforms that did them in vs Goliath (which we could say was due to disparities in physical conditioning) - the David puzzle's first 2 lines were on the platforms... and completely wrong, half-text showing as if they totally just left out the base line.  How'd that get past the guy who designed slide puzzle algorithms, I'll never know.

• Love 6

I don't agree that the Goliaths have such an insurmountable physical advantage that it is predestined that they will win all the immunity challenges.  Yes, Bi put the Davids way behind with her struggles with the plank ladder.  But didn't Jeff say at one point that the teams had been trying to solve the puzzle for an hour?  That's a lot of time that could have been made up.  Especially if the Davids are supposed to have "the brains".

I think the interesting thing to me is that it's not as clear cut as Jeffy makes it seem.  He makes the Goliaths to be the ones that have it all... the classic young buck alpha males that he lusts over, good looking and muscled.  He makes the Davids to be the ones that don't have anything... nerdy and no muscle.  But the Davids shouldn't be all that physically inept... Bi is a MMA fighter, Nick looks like he has muscle, unfortunately they lost Pat.  And the Goliaths have to have at least some brains... there's at least one lady that is a doctor (maybe there are two doctors?), the one guy who tried to talk to Natalie is a lawyer.  Even the pretty boy cop seemed to be the one taking the lead in solving the balance puzzle for his team.

I actually don't mind the Goliaths.  I find Natalie entertaining in her cluelessness.  The only one I really don't like is that Angelina who seems useless but thinks she is awesome.  I find the Goliaths as a tribe a lot more interesting to watch.  We have the cops immunity idol which isn't going to be much of a secret.  We have Natalie.  And we have some clueless entitled women like Angelina who haven't had to play the game because they haven't gone to tribal.  I will enjoy seeing these people who are used to life falling nicely into line for them be absolutely clueless on how to survive a tribal.

I don't like the Davids only because I really can't stand neurotic Christian.  He's like a worse version of Adam who constantly snot cried about his dying mom, combined with weird David from that same season, and a little bit of Cochran.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:05 PM, dkb said:

Gabby - "Do you want to play with me?"

Kristian : "In the sand?"

This was the BEST.  The absolute best in which I had to rewind a few times and laugh at.  Anyone who knows a person like Christian, who has trouble communicating with people, can relate to this exchange.

• Love 6
On 10/8/2018 at 6:11 AM, MissBluxom said:

I still love JP as the host of this show.  How else is he supposed to talk about it - everyone hypes their own show like that.  I didn't think his talk show was all that, but for me he (and his bloviating) are definitely part of Survivor!!  That being said, he could do better at the reunion shows :)

• Love 5
On 10/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, princelina said:

I still love JP as the host of this show.  How else is he supposed to talk about it - everyone hypes their own show like that.  I didn't think his talk show was all that, but for me he (and his bloviating) are definitely part of Survivor!!  That being said, he could do better at the reunion shows :)

Yes Indeed. He sure could!

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 12:46 PM, marys1000 said:

Pleeaaassee let Gabby go home, last week would be good.  I'd rather watch Russel Hantz than some baby sounding wittle girl begin carried along because she is helpless.  

Doggone it! I just made a reply to this post and for some reason, when I pressed the ENTER key, it just seemed to disappear. I'm afraid that I may be suffering from some kind of malware or something. But to summarize my missing post, I just said I was confused by Christian because on one hand, he seems to profess his love for Gabby. But on the other hand, he seems to take great delight every time someone discusses the blindside of Jessica, he seems to  point the finger at Gabby and make it seem like she was the one who orchestrated the entire blindside - all by herself!

That is not the action of a friend or a lover. What the Heck is going on with Christian? Is he just confused as to the difference between a friend and an enemy? Or is he truly strangely diabolical?

If he is being truly diabolical, I would enjoy seeing Gabby take a cup of coffee at the reunion show and dumping it on his head. He surely would deserve that. What a snake!

Of course, I could be wrong and he may just not know how to behave as a friend. But who gets to be an adult and not know how to treat a friend?  It just does not compute!  I am definitely confused about his behavior.

Edited by MissBluxom
On 10/4/2018 at 12:10 PM, Special K said:

I'm beginning to disagree.  While I think some of it may be [warning: Seinfeld reference] unbridled enthusiasm, I also think it's pretty crafty.  If you name an alliance it seems more real, and if it seems more real, even to those in it, it might hold better.  It might be a way to engender a bit more loyalty.

I think that people who name their alliances do it in order to make themselves more memorable in the minds of the viewers. I would guess that hardly anyone will remember their names after the show is over. But if they give their alliance a memorable name, it just may keep them memorable in the minds of the public.

After all, perhaps they realize that almost  no one will remember their names once the show is over and so choosing a memorable name for their alliance may just be a way to keep their memory  alive in the minds of the viewers?  That's hardly something most of them will remember - especially if they do it at the time the show is happening.  Either way, it seems fairly harmless to me.

Edited by MissBluxom