Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E02: The Chicken Has Flown the Coop

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Um, Nick, did you see how JT’s appearances went without Stephen?   

I hate the Goliaths.  Besides Natalie.  If the Goliaths run it, hopefully she’s their undoing at a tribe swap or merge.

That was the perfect set up for a Jess blindside show!  Thanks for not letting me down.  I thought Christian’s voting confessional was a giveaway to Lyrsa going.  And speaking of Christian, sooner or later he is going to Keith “stick to the plan!” Nale himself if he doesn’t know when to shut up.

• Love 16

No come on now.  Misery is part of the game!  Peachy is going soft.  A tarp?  Please.

Christian has creepy eyes.  He did make me laugh though with his absolute glee at the blindside.

“Stephen’s like, a genius.”  Snerk.  Is he?

Yes more Jeremy please.  Even bossy, sneaky, no boundaries Jeremy.  Most especially, naked Jeremy.

I love how he swerved after attempting to speak with Natalie where you would think he might say “she’s been married for 24 years can you believe someone can live with her?” but instead said “she ain’t changing.”

Doctor lady on Goliath is very extra.

Jessica’s terrible shorts offended me on a personal level so that’s as good a reason as any to get bounced, IMO.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 18

Some other thoughts:

Editing this season: I think I know who everyone is!  And has everyone gotten camera time between the two episodes?!  Big improvement from the last two seasons where they showed someone was getting their torch snuffed mid-season and I didn’t even know they were a contestant all season (not really exaggerating).  I like the equal time between tribes, even though I hate the Goliath’s.  Yeah, I’ll be saying that all season.  

Davie finding the idol is how I like my idols found.  Taking a leisurely stroll and then ‘hey!’  And despite the orange string, that seemed like a harder find than Goliath’s that was in plain sight with purple string. 

Two episodes in and we got everyone being miserable in a storm!  Any chance they can shift their filming schedule and not film during the rainy season?  I vote they just move them into the Big Brother house.  Creature comforts, alliance naming, showmances, Probst saying “expect the unexpected” last week.  Same show anymore.

I wanted to like Christian but then he had to go team up with Nick.  And get into Cochran territory with overstrategizing and being a mastermind.  And had to throw out voting out one of the ladies (shocker).  Now I have to like him and Nick for saving Lyrsa.  Smart decision?  Well, calling her weak on that tribe can be a stretch.  Lyrsa had a valid point about winning the first challenge with Christian.  Compared to Carl, who pretty much sucked in his portion of the IC last week and put the David’s behind.  They would have won otherwise.  Lyrsa had the right idea of keeping quiet at Elizabeth’s revelation.  Natalie should have taken a page out of her book.  But glad she’s not going down swinging!  Especially to Ms. Angelina’s ‘you don’t have the number’s.’  Have I mentioned I hate her yet? 

I hate the couples/faux couples alliance at Goliath.  I still hate Natalia and Angelina.  Not sure who I dislike more between the two.  May they both get betrayed and blindsided by the men they think they have around their fingers (clearly not John as he wants to keep Natalie around).  Dare I say I like Dan for being a love sick doofus that clearly has never seen an episode of this show?

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

No come on now.  Misery is part of the game!  Peachy is going soft.  A tarp?  Please.

Christian has creepy eyes.  He did make me laugh though with his absolute glee at the blindside.

“Stephen’s like, a genius.”  Snerk.  Is he?

Yes more Jeremy please.  Even bossy, sneaky, no boundaries Jeremy.  Most especially, naked Jeremy.

I love how he swerved after attempting to speak with Natalie where you would think he might say “she’s been married for 24 years can you believe someone can live with her?” but instead said “she a’int changing.”

I love Jeremy too! I'm rooting for him after his attempts at reeling Natalie in. Somebody loves her the way she is,  lol

• Love 23

I was really confused on why Lyrsa is considered the weakest woman on the tribe. I don't get that.

Episode was just ok for me. It was kinda Survivor paint by numbers.

I realized when we got to the challenge, I didn't know who most of the people were except for Christian and a few others.

I hope Natalie finds a way to stay. She seems like she could be something of an original character for this show. I'm sure she's very difficult to deal with, but I'm a little tickled to see an older alpha female who does give a F- what people think of her.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 14

Cool!  Hashtag your way out of here, Jessica.

She was really starting to bother me,  Now we don't have to listen to this BS about her being too young to drink in any future rewards.  I wish they wouldn't cast anybody under 21 and just avoid this moralistic nonsense.  Besides, is there even a legal age in Fiji?  I drank a fair amount of wine in Italy when I was 16.

I'm old school.  If you're old enough to vote and join the army, you're old enough to drink.

I like Christian, but hate him hooking up with Nick, This alliance naming BS really grates on me.

Natalie can go away any time.  Don't keep her around until jury.  I'll give credit to the three nasty girls for a good strategy.  That gives them a decisive six votes at the first tribal.

I guess it's cool now to search other people's stuff.  Dan is not very bright.  Expecting privacy is foolish.

The Davids actually had a chance in that challenge.  Too bad.

• Love 15

Jeremy is on my hit list for going thru Dan’s jacket and finding the HII. I hate that, I wish they wouldn’t allow that. 

I miss old school survivor. Congratulations you survived a cyclone, here’s fire and a tarp.

I don’t know if voting off a somewhat athletic 19 year was smart. 

I like Elizabeth, she reminds me of Jessie from Toy Story. 

• Love 12

Yes, Jessica, it must be that you're just that big of a threat.  Good grief.

Fire, tarp, a fishing pole... maybe next season they can just give them all gift certificates to Albertson's every three days.  

I don't like people going through other people's personal bags.  I don't care whether or not it's good gameplay - I just don't like it.

The yellow string for the idol looked like it was less obviously placed than the purple string last week.  

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

Fire, tarp, a fishing pole... maybe next season they can just give them all gift certificates to Albertson's every three days.  

I don't like people going through other people's personal bags.  I don't care whether or not it's good gameplay - I just don't like it.

The yellow string for the idol looked like it was less obviously placed than the purple string last week.  

She is sort of right though. As was stated in the episode the reason they were voting her out was because she was the one who kept the opposing alliance together.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 10

"Well, I guess I was the first '#blindside' of the season!" "Ummmm, I got bad news for you." I can't hate Jessica. I'd say the same thing. "The others saw me as a threat . . . " "You couldn't sink a basket from two feet away, and the other tribe came from an hour behind to win!" "And I was blindsided." "You knew! They were singing about how they were going to vote you off on the way to Council! It took longer to do because half of the tribe was building an effigy of you to burn after you left!!"

Seriously, though, who was Jessica? With Lyresa, I'm all, "Yeah, purple hair." That's the biggest reason why I'm happy she's still there.

As much as the tribal winnings has gotten bigger over the years, at least the weather can make players miserable and visibly shiver.

Natalie . .  . she'll go far. If she gets to Day 39, it'll be as a sacrificial goat. Once again, though, I'd like to put "People Would Take a Bullet For Him" on my business card.

Once again, why does things come down to puzzles? Like, most of the time. At least the balance aspect keeping things interesting.

Dan leaving his idol out . . . yeah, going through other people's stuff is shady, but he's a dope for leaving it with his clothes.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

What planet is she from? If she watches this show and totally see her real self then like was said before......she ain’t changing. OMG!!!!

It makes me rethink the accuracy of Natalie's comment in the first episode that her employees would take a bullet for her. 

• Love 18

2 episodes in and I'm not feeling this season at all. I'm ready for a swap already. Btw, 37 seasons and I'm still ignorant re: finding someone else's HII, can you not steal it if you find it? 

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 2

Gabby: Do you want to play with me?

Christian: In the sand?

I love him lmao! He seems to be having a blast.

I like most of the Davids, but I especially like the “sub-group” that flipped the vote. I like Lyrsa so I’m happy she stayed.  Still annoyed by that guy who keeps making and naming alliances. Just stop, dude. 

This season is already head and shoulders above last season. It really helps when they let us get to know the people before they start swapping tribes.

Edited by Rachel RSL
Autocorrect prefers the name Lynda over Lyrsa but I don’t.
  • Love 20
4 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

Agreed.  It's a violation of privacy. Not that there's much privacy on an island when you're playing a game for a million bucks, but it just feels dirty to me.  Having said that--how stupid was he to think that no one would look in such an obvious place?  The second he said that, I was like, "Someone is sooooo going to find that idol in his stuff."  If I were on Survivor and found an idol, I would have that thing on me 24/7.  They'd have to frisk me to find it.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Jeremy is on my hit list for going thru Dan’s jacket and finding the HII. I hate that, I wish they wouldn’t allow that. 

I miss old school survivor. Congratulations you survived a cyclone, here’s fire and a tarp.

I don’t know if voting off a somewhat athletic 19 year was smart. 

I like Elizabeth, she reminds me of Jessie from Toy Story. 

YES!!  I hate when they allow people to go through someone else's stuff.  I've always hated it and always post my distaste when it happens. 

It should not be allowed.  I LOVED the blindside though.  I knew Elizabeth reminded me of someone!  

Ha..old school....Jeff:  Your rice floated away?"  "You better get to fishing".

• Love 7
1 minute ago, dizzyd said:

2 episodes in and I'm not yet feeling this season. I'm ready for a swap already. Btw, 37 seasons and I'm still ignorant re: finding someone else's HII, can you not steal it if you find it? 

I’m in the same boat as you. Maybe, it’s becasue the David’s are losing and the Goliath have, um, Natalie. LOL!!!! A swap might help but I still think it will be us or them thing. Maybe, there aren’t enough hot people for me. I’m shallow that way. LOL!!!!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

2 episodes in and I'm not feeling this season at all. I'm ready for a swap already. Btw, 37 seasons and I'm still ignorant re: finding someone else's HII, can you not steal it if you find it? 

No, whoever finds it is the only one that can use it.  Since Dan found it it's technically his idol, so even though others were with him when he found it they can't even use it.  Doesn't mean he can't give it away, however.

Nothing will ever beat him trudging out to the Barramundi camp in the Outback, the tribe seeing he doesn't look happy, and Probst saying "I don't think you guys are going to make it", and negotiating with them for more rice rations because they were stupid enough to build their camp next to a river bed.  I want that Probst back!  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 13

I don’t see that Lyrsa was any worse than any of the others in the challenges - no one seemed very good in this one.I’m wondering if her sexuality came in to play. Christian thinks that he is running this tribe?  Only in his mind.. I’m watching Elizabeth; she looks innocent but she was the one who orchestrated  the blindside and I  couldn’t be happier to see that bitchy blond get it. Wish David would win something, though. I hate the Goliath tribe.

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Especially because Christian reacted so quickly.  That was probably my second favorite moment all night, after Jess's blindside.

Exactly how I felt too. 

And that girl sure knew how to work Christian. That will be interesting to watch. Hope those 2 dont get snuffed out anytime soon.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

You know the weather is terrible when Jeff sends you a tarp and a firekit. I don't know how they all stuck it out. I'm always amazed that none of the medivacs are a result of someone, you know, catching a cold, or from exposure. It's amazing how much a person can endure. 

I loved the scene of Natalie basically saying, "I'm very self aware. Everyone loves me. Shut up and get lost." 

Natalie is one of the most obnoxious and useless individuals to ever play this game, and that is saying something.

Jeremy tried to help her with some excellent, friendly advice and she responded by being an ass.  Jeremy is the only one I really like on the Goliath tribe, though Mike is OK.

Davy is my favorite on either tribe. 

Nick is starting to grow on me.

I liked Gabby, but she came across as extremely insecure and needy in this episode and that turned me off.

• Love 19
42 minutes ago, llongori said:

Let's have separate reward and immunity challenges.  Is it possible Goliath would throw an immunity challenge to get rid of Natalie if there's not a reward on the table?

I think that is precisely why they quit doing separate challenges, so they won't be as tempted to throw it if there's a good reward involved.  

Of course if Goliath gets a numbers advantage over David then they might throw a challenge just because, regardless of the reward. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, wallflower75 said:

Agreed.  It's a violation of privacy. Not that there's much privacy on an island when you're playing a game for a million bucks, but it just feels dirty to me.  Having said that--how stupid was he to think that no one would look in such an obvious place?  The second he said that, I was like, "Someone is sooooo going to find that idol in his stuff."  If I were on Survivor and found an idol, I would have that thing on me 24/7.  They'd have to frisk me to find it.

I agree that it shouldn't be allowed.  But since it is, I don't get that upset at players for doing it.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:
1 hour ago, dizzyd said:

No, whoever finds it is the only one that can use it.  Since Dan found it it's technically his idol, so even though others were with him when he found it they can't even use it.  Doesn't mean he can't give it away, however.

This is one of the most confusing aspects of the HII.  I've started a thread about HIIs since this comes up every season.  Well, a lot of questions about HIIs come up every season.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/74641-hidden-immunity-idols-throughout-the-ages

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

What was with Gabby's needy insecure girl routine when talking to Christian?

"Do you like me?"

"Do you want to play with me?"

"Do you think I'm pretty?"

"Do you think I'm really pretty?"

"Do you mean it?"

"Do you swear you mean it?"

Whatever she was doing, it worked. Got him so flustered he took her 'do you want to play with me' literally. And he went with her plan even though his Mason Dixon alliance was skeptical.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, Lamima said:

Whatever she was doing, it worked. Got him so flustered he took her 'do you want to play with me' literally. And he went with her plan even though his Mason Dixon alliance was skeptical.

I don't care about whether or not it worked, I just thought it was annoying.

• Love 7

Well, that was unfortunate.

Lyersa came off as really nasty during the puzzle building challenge and I don't think she's going to have come to Jesus moment and start acting civilized.

Be is physically appealing on so many levels but I thought it bizarre as she was condemning challenge performance when she did so poorly and set her team far behind.

Gabby! You're my favorite but you made me so worried you were going to shift the target on YOURSELF by being paranoid...and I was disheartened when she was aligning with the outcasts but at least it worked out for her and she's safe but she's aligned with some sketchy characters.

Two things are certain now: With a sigh, I guess I' will have to accept that Christian is going to hog 75% of all confessionals this season when there were castaways who didn't even get to speak on camera let alone have a confessional. Plus we had Probst double or triple dipping pitching questions his way at tribal. It never fails...the producers latch on to  their "designated star" and they are always safe right up to the point when some hitherto unknown backstory is suddenly revealed to get it in before the person gets the boot.

Second its certain that Natalie has never watched SURVIVOR. How else would you explain doing the complete OPPOSITE of what you are supposed to do at every turn in order to stay under the radar and not make you the prime candidate for the first boot. God bless the wrestler and the lawyer for attempting to work with her.

Too many pigtails on GOLIATH...that was insane. Even the wrestler has them!

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 7

Well, the Davids lose another challenge. I want them to win something soon and send those awful Goliaths to tribal. I can't say that I like anybody on that tribe.

I'll admit that I liked Jessica, but Elizabeth's strategy behind her going was brilliant, I'm liking her. They are a good tribe, I just wish they could win more challenges. I'm slowly liking the Gabby/Christian thing going on.

• Love 10

Best show on television.

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

LOL.  Yup!

How did you manage to watch this with the Wildcard game??!?!?!?

I hated Christian and (other guy) saying they needed to immediately vote out a woman first.  Ugh. 

I love seeing so many players of colour.  I love understanding who so many players are.  I love understanding the difference between the tribes.  This is so new, so different.  I love it so much.  Thank you, Editors. 

12 hours ago, dkb said:

Oof, the four who voted for Lyrsa really didn't imagine when it wouldn't go their way like at all. They gotta expect that there's always someone who wants to do something else.

How are people always this stupid and arrogant?  They imagine Lyrsa saying, "Yes.  Yes.  I would love to be voted out.  Please do it."  LOL!!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hated Christian (andother guy) saying they needed to immediately vote out a woman first.  Ugh. 

I know what you mean, and yet I can understand why it keeps happening. A lot of the challenges require brute force, especially early in the game, which puts all but the very fittest, strongest women at a disadvantage. I don't know what the solution is, other than to only have challenges where strength isn't a factor. That doesn't seem like a great solution either, though. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dkb said:

Dan is really naive isn't he -- re idol in his jacket. 

I loved his "Pfft... it's in a SOCK in my pocket." like that would help keep it hidden. But yes I have to add to the chorus of I hate when people go through bags/personal items. Not cool show!

43 minutes ago, knitorpurl said:

All I can see when I see Christian is a twitchy Mark Hamill. 

Hah, that's so on the nose. He's like Mark Hamill if Mark was to play a friend of the Big Bang guys.

I do hope the David's win something. It would be good for them and to take the Goliath's down a peg. Or two.

The here's your "I survived a Cyclone!" gift note should have ended "Love, Jeffy" 'cause they've totally gone soft.

• Love 4

Random thoughts on episode 2 "Jess Is Not Tipped Off"

• Rather than showing her post-boot confessional, I would have rather seen Jess giving Peachy the permission slip her mother must have signed to allow her on the show. 
  • Clearly many of the women this season went to the Parvati school of charm management.  Gabby's purposely coy "Want to play with me?" instantly worked on Christian.
  • None of the alliance names created so far this season come anywhere close to matching Stealth 'R Us and the wacky code names Phillip assigned to his alliance mates.  Good times.

In addition to the usual, ridiculously over-the-top Tribal Council set, we seem to now have new, even more dramatic Tribal Council music.  The ritual of Tribal Council is serious stuff!

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I loved his "Pfft... it's in a SOCK in my pocket." like that would help keep it hidden. But yes I have to add to the chorus of I hate when people go through bags/personal items. Not cool show!

Hah, that's so on the nose. He's like Mark Hamill if Mark was to play a friend of the Big Bang guys.

I do hope the David's win something. It would be good for them and to take the Goliath's down a peg. Or two.

The here's your "I survived a Cyclone!" gift note should have ended "Love, Jeffy" 'cause they've totally gone soft.

Dan is a cop, right? He really does come off as very naive. I thought he would be mature but he was a recruit and seems more in to having fun then playing Survivor. I’ve seen worse players but I expected more from him.

• Love 4

G: "Do you want to play with me?"

C: "What, like in the sand?"

LOLOLOL. Love it.

Natalie reminds me completely of my nightmare of a former boss. Totally lacked self-awareness and how she came off to others. She thought she was a hot shit boss lady and even bragged multiple times that she was emotionally intelligent, and every time she said that, I had to struggle to not roll my eyes. If you're emotionally intelligent, you don't need to announce it constantly. Ugh and she wanted to give me a hug when I told her I was resigning. Lady, I barely know you. Please don't give me a fake hug.

Also I can't tell apart the two brunettes on the Goliath tribe. Nathalia and the other girl who also has long brown hair and glasses and whose name I don't know.

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I know what you mean, and yet I can understand why it keeps happening. A lot of the challenges require brute force, especially early in the game, which puts all but the very fittest, strongest women at a disadvantage. I don't know what the solution is, other than to only have challenges where strength isn't a factor. That doesn't seem like a great solution either, though. 

Half the challenges are puzzles.  There is no science to indicate that females would be worse at those than men are.  Also, how have so many women won this game if so many challenges require "brute force" and most women are supposedly bad at it?  Sorry, but the logic doesn't track. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I agree, Ms Blue Jay, that lots of the winners have been women, and I agree that lots of the challenges are puzzles. At the same time, every season both men and women vote women off early based on the idea that they need strong men for challenges. Could it be that they think that while men can be good at puzzles, it's harder for women to be good at brute force? 

Whether they're correct in this assumption is something I'd have to be a lot smarter and a lot less tired to answer. I can picture Rob and Stephen hashing this one out on their podcast. They probably already have! 

• Love 5

Well that was fantastic.  So far I am enjoying this cast quite a bit.  First off I need to single out Elizabeth, who pulled something of a Michelle Schubert move here to save Lyrsa, though with somewhat less of a direct hand in it than the legendary Figgy Save.  (Legendary to me, anyway.)  But she knew the effective move was to go to Gabby, and it totally worked to save her number and keep herself in control -- and better yet, it left Gabby and Christian thinking they were the masterminds, instead of painting a huge target on Elizabeth's back.

So many people were so entertaining, though.  I freaking love Natalie.  She is hilarious.  Slamtown: "You're on the chopping block.  Don't say nothing."  Natalie, to literally everyone: "You're targeting me??  How dare you, everyone loves me.  I'm going to destroy you."  I never thought I'd enjoy any reference to a Survivor tribe theme in my life, but when she said "You're thinking like Davids right now, you've got to start acting like Goliaths!" I was just loving it.  If she's not a Survivor legend by the end of this I'll be very disappointed.  Davie of the Davids is wonderful and I love that he's taking on the provider role and that it netted him the idol.  Jeremy is so entertainingly manic and makes an amazing comedy duo with the Harpo-like Mike White, who never responds to anything he says but just stands there with a vaguely pleasant look on his face.  (For all that Natalie is dedicated to doing the opposite of what one should do on Survivor, Jeremy also handled her in the exactly wrong way.  Telling someone they're not self-aware can't possibly work, because they're not self-aware.  He should have led her to changing her behavior indirectly, not told her outright.)

@MissBluxom's theory was looking very strong tonight.  Not only did Nick get a million-dollar quote tonight, but his strange alliance-naming idea certainly seemed to pay off in a big way in terms of getting Christian solid on his side.  For a STEM nerd Christian was pretty eloquent and articulate at tribal with his thing about roller coasters and exhilaration.  It did seem that poor Gabby went totally off the rails, even heading towards Dawn-style emotional strong-arming, "oh my god, it's me, I know it's me, just tell me, I know it's me but just tell me it's me, you know it will destroy my family and leave us desperate but I just need to hear it from you, just tell me, be honest, just tell me it's me" but luckily not quite there.

I did know for sure it was Jessica with the way they edited her and Bi at tribal -- here's an out-of-context shot of her looking vaguely smug!  what a bitch!  she's about to get HASHTAG BLINDSIDED! -- and I am as always sorry to see the babyfaced blonde go home first, as I feel solidarity with my fellow babyfaced blonde sisters on Survivor.  But I am happy to see it since it was a real blindside indeed, and the getting there was delicious.

4 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Yeah me too, I miss the old school days, back when they gave them rain coats and canned goods.

When he looked in that pocket (as Mike White watches in his strange stoic silence), I thought "oooh, they're gonna hate this on the forums."

4 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

Imagine thinking you're voted out for being a threat when really it's because you were the lynchpin of a powerful alliance!  What a dumb blonde bimbo.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Natalie is one of the most obnoxious and useless individuals to ever play this game, and that is saying something.

2 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Natalie is one hard headed, delusional person. If someone comes to you and tells you how other people perceive you, you at least listen. Especially in Survivor where perception is the reality.

I am completely baffled as to what game Natalie is playing, "don't vote out the old person who can't win"? What is her endgame then? Then she rejects being told how people feel about her. I just don't understand what she's trying to do.

• Love 12