Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

54 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

It's certainly going there. Plus, I'm hoping for some age-appropriate pairing for Nolan. They have nice chemistry with his TO.

I feel nothing about Nolan's...whatever it is...with his fellow rookie. Job politics aside (as the main reason for the characters to back away), the age difference doesn't bother me. And I'd say the same if it was an older woman/younger man. As a matter of fact, I'd be saying, "Go girl, go!" LOL!

But mileage and yadda, yadda.  :-)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I like Fillion but I wish they could have came up with something for him besides another cop show.

...and with a decent showrunner. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Raja said:

The Watch Commander Sergeant's super hostility and the legacy surviving to patrol another day were my biggest  "oh come on" moments

Yeah, for me that was the most heavy-handed storyline. In which episode will Nolan and legacy (West, right?) be together on a job where legacy effs up and Nolan gets blamed? Will legacy stay quiet at first and then fess up and come out of it braver on the other end? 

But overall, I enjoyed this ... I've been watching so many shows in the police/fire/med line of late (basically about 80% of the shows stacked up in my too-much-time-on-my-hands-retirement watch list) that I hope I can keep all my characters/storylines straight but this is a keeper for me so far.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap

I love Fillion. I was disappointed that his love interest was not the age appropriate bank manager. I thought they had nice chemistry! It was honestly hard for me to keep watching this when he was not on the screen. Ensemble is good in theory, but I didn't think the rest of the cast was that interesting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Heathrowe said:

I was disappointed that his love interest was not the age appropriate bank manager.

The woman back in Pennsylvania during the bank robbery?  I thought that was his sister.

I thought it was pretty good, especially for a pilot.  They had a lot of characters to introduce, and balanced them well for the most part.  Actually, I had to pause a few times to make sure I knew who was who.  They did throw a *lot* of characters out there in relatively short order.  But they got to the business of establishing each one pretty well, and by the end I felt that I had them all straight.  We'll see how much I remember next week, since I'm in for now.

Everything was going fine, a few twists and surprises along the way, but then the final talk with Sergeant Grey let me down.  He'd sent Nolan home.  Then the captain told him to keep Nolan around.  Nolan starts in with the "You were right" speech, and since we know Grey has orders to "un-let-him-go" we're expecting something along those lines.  But instead, Nolan gives us the "I'm not going anywhere" thing and Grey is like "Oh okay, well that makes this much easier.  Now I don't have to say that the captain made me keep you."  No.  If you're fired, you don't get to say "I refuse to leave."  If you're sent packing; you're done.  You don't hang around to catch your boss later and tell him that you don't accept his decision to fire you and that you plan to stay on anyway.

Anyway, the last scene didn't work for me, but everything up until that point was fine.  Pilots are usually shaky, but this was pretty good so if things only go up from here, we're in for a good show.

Edited by Orbert
  • Love 2

In the shadow of the Deputy behind cover waiting for backup at the Parkwood school shooting we got this pilot.

Earlier the Sergeant was asking if Mal shit his pants when the murderous wife had her knife. But then when the legacy actually shit his pants he fires the boot for moving towards the guns and the officers who called for help.

Even if the Captain didn't override the Sergeant you would think that the city had some sort of appeal against a single supervisor saying you failed probation 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

In the shadow of the Deputy behind cover waiting for backup at the Parkwood school shooting we got this pilot.

Earlier the Sergeant was asking if Mal shit his pants when the murderous wife had her knife. But then when the legacy actually shit his pants he fires the boot for moving towards the guns and the officers who called for help.

Even if the Captain didn't override the Sergeant you would think that the city had some sort of appeal against a single supervisor saying you failed probation 

But it wasn't the point that he was "moving towards the guns..." the point was he left his partner without knowing she had the suspect secured.  She could have been killed by the guy.  And yes, a "boot" can probably be bounced with one evaluation from a supervisor - they don't have the same protection that an officer would after completing probation, and the Sergeant could make a pretty good case for his failure to comply with protocol and leaving his partner in danger.

• Love 3
On 10/17/2018 at 9:31 PM, Snowprince said:

I don't think I could watch this one with a straight face, Moose. And BTW, my oldest boot was 52. He didn't make probation not because he couldn't cut it, but after a couple of months he decided this second career wasn't for him.

I think that's true for a lot of these cases. Older people, people with advanced degrees, think they want to be in law enforcement but they don't have the follow-through. I can see why the police don't really want to waste time and money on training rookies who will either quit early or endanger the public as loose cannons.

Mostly, I just look at it as a decent cop show and Fillion's character as a police officer who never got promoted.

I liked it just fine. I didn’t really notice the discrepancy between Nathan Fillion’s age and the age of the character, but it kept bothering me how his age kept getting brought up, especially by the guy who wants him gone. Wouldn’t that be considered discriminatory? Aren’t people over 40 a protected class?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

I liked it just fine. I didn’t really notice the discrepancy between Nathan Fillion’s age and the age of the character, but it kept bothering me how his age kept getting brought up, especially by the guy who wants him gone. Wouldn’t that be considered discriminatory? Aren’t people over 40 a protected class?

Especially in the causal incident. While you can teach  Maverick never to leave his wingman when you have an officer running away from the fight so Maverick gets fired something is rotten. Any civil rights attorney can make an easy  that only  "our kind" was kept bias case.

Count me among the middle ground viewers. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but the bullying/harassment tactics seemed over the top ridiculous to me. Eric Winter as TO Bradford is probably the most interesting character at this point because every time he came across as a racist/asshole/narcissist jerk, it was followed by some insightful wisdom or background reveal that there is more than meets the eye with him. I think he could grow on me. Richard T. Jones as Sergeant Grey, on the other hand, is just horribly conceived, written and performed; probably the only truly garbage thing about this show. I couldn't believe it when he said "Young adults can be molded and taught, 40 year olds think they already know everything."....WHAT?!!! That's the polar opposite of how most people understand human nature to be; more often than not, it's people in their late teens/early twenties with the bravado to be impulsive and make mistakes, not someone in their forty's who has lived and had enough experiences to cautiously think things through. Jones couldn't believably act his way out of the womb and with a voice like his, no one should be giving him this kind of stupid shit to say, they should be trying to write material that makes him sound as smart as possible. I mean, Seriously?! His job "is to ensure the safety of ALL my officers so that they can continue to do their job on a daily basis.".... so he's gong to wish, hope, pray and take actions to enure that this one Rookie screws up enough so that he can fire him?!  That makes ZERO sense, because in doing so, he's putting all his officers at risk. Every time Nolan screws up endangers the other officers so why would you, as the sergeant in charge, want to put all your officer in harms way? It's a hypocritical, idiotic mentality and there's no believable way someone that stupid would be able to maintain a position of power once he got there. Too bad I'll have to put up with him, as I intend to keep watching.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Lee Lofland (cop and writer) reviewed the pilot.

I won't be reading their reviews until Melanie shares the source of her "some of which were true" comment, so someone please tell me when that happens. 

Sigh.  Castle.  Please let it die.

Edited by TWP
2 hours ago, TWP said:

I won't be reading their reviews until Melanie shares the source of her "some of which were true" comment, so someone please tell me when that happens. 

Sigh.  Castle.  Please let it die.

Neither will I. And I'd love to see those sources too.  Will these people ever move on. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Neither will I. And I'd love to see those sources too.  Will these people ever move on. 

Nope.  Also, there are other cop shows.  Might I suggest Chicago PD?  Probably has less baggage.

And I find it ironic that they are printing innuendo on a blog that they've supposedly written to fact check a TV show.  But it's silly to even review The Rookie in that way, given that the show has never once claimed to be realistic.

Edited by TWP
18 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Agreed! Took me right out of the show.  Hopefully it will end soon?

It would have been so better if he hooked up with someone his age.  Connie Britton would have been perfect although I don't know if she'd touch it.

On October 19, 2018 at 11:21 PM, shksabelle said:

Only nit: why does Nolan have to be in a relationship with his twenty-something fellow rookie!

I'm guessing some network decision maker ordered a sexy hookup in the first episode after it was all cast. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me—not that I think it was in any way a positive contribution to the show. So unnecessary. I could fanwank it for them that since Melissa O'Neil is 30 and NF's character is 40, they're only 10 years apart, and since 30 is a little late to be a rookie, they bonded over that. But they'll probably make her character younger. Stupid move, show.

• Love 2
On 10/17/2018 at 7:29 PM, SpiritSong said:

And I know it's tv, but all the shooting was a bit much. Most cops go their entire career without ever shooting anyone.

But TV cops shoot every episode, usually.  Murder cases and serial killers are way over the real average too.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, break21 said:

It would have been so better if he hooked up with someone his age.  Connie Britton would have been perfect although I don't know if she'd touch it.

I know a lot of 40 something divorced guys and women. I can tell you that the majority of the guys started out their newly single status dating younger women. 15 year-ish younger women. (Several of the women started out dating younger guys too) A couple of them lasted and turned out to be great relationships. But the majority learned over time that in most cases they have more in common and more connection with women closer to their own age. It was a process they went through to figure that out. Some of it is also rebuilding their confidence after divorce (particularly when they were on the receiving end of the divorce decree) by attracting those younger women. 

This could very well turn out to be part of Nolan's discovery of who he is and his journey to finding himself. Learning that someone Lucy's age isn't really what he needs or wants. It's an extremely realistic situation for the point he's at in his life in my opinion, because I've personally seen it happen so many time. I think it could be a learning experience for him and just a part of his journey. I don't see it as a long-term part of the story. 

I also think love is love and as long as they're both adults and it's a consensual relationship, what does it matter? Particularly in the 30 and 40 age range. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I know a lot of 40 something divorced guys and women. I can tell you that the majority of the guys started out their newly single status dating younger women. 15 year-ish younger women. (Several of the women started out dating younger guys too) A couple of them lasted and turned out to be great relationships. But the majority learned over time that in most cases they have more in common and more connection with women closer to their own age. It was a process they went through to figure that out. Some of it is also rebuilding their confidence after divorce (particularly when they were on the receiving end of the divorce decree) by attracting those younger women. 

This could very well turn out to be part of Nolan's discovery of who he is and his journey to finding himself. Learning that someone Lucy's age isn't really what he needs or wants. It's an extremely realistic situation for the point he's at in his life in my opinion, because I've personally seen it happen so many time. I think it could be a learning experience for him and just a part of his journey. I don't see it as a long-term part of the story. 

I also think love is love and as long as they're both adults and it's a consensual relationship, what does it matter? Particularly in the 30 and 40 age range. 

PTB may have wanted to get people a little more interested in the show before bringing in elements that many find a little cringe-worthy.  The romance could very well be part of Nolan's journey (I suggested that above too), but we might never find out if it turns viewers off too much.  Of course, the ageism may be the death nail before the romance ever gets a chance to irritate enough people to cancel the show.  

I am a little surprised at the reaction here to the so-called bullying behavior of the police officers.  Maybe 'cause non network shows I watch are full of unpleasant characters, that's not a turn off for me as long as they are compelling.  And British cop shows are full of less than pleasant coppers (as well as upstanding and professional ones).  I could be wrong, but I never thought that institutions like the LAPD or say, West Point, would be particularly kind of new recruits or treat them gently.  Rightly or wrongly, they might believe in treating them harshly to train them 'right'.  I read that that 'trick' of making the rookie know where they were located at any given time and then walk till they figured it out was drawn from real life.  I thought the show had a nice balance of different styles, from the harsh approach to Nolan's TO who treated him more like a human being, from the Sergeant who didn't believe in the value of older recruits to the Captain who did. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, TWP said:

PTB may have wanted to get people a little more interested in the show before bringing in elements that many find a little cringe-worthy.  The romance could very well be part of Nolan's journey (I suggested that above too), but we might never find out if it turns viewers off too much.  Of course, the ageism may be the death nail before the romance ever gets a chance to irritate enough people to cancel the show.  

I find a lot of things cringe-worthy these days. For me, a consensual adult relationship amongst peers doesn't even come close. It doesn't even make my little toe tingle, let alone me cringe. But that's just my opinion. So many other things to cringe about than a happy fictional tv couple. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

I read that that 'trick' of making the rookie know where they were located at any given time and then walk till they figured it out was drawn from real life.

They showed a similar event in SouthLAnd, although the FTO didn't make him walk.

6 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I find a lot of things cringe-worthy these days. For me, a consensual adult relationship amongst peers doesn't even come close. It doesn't even make my little toe tingle, let alone me cringe. But that's just my opinion. So many other things to cringe about than a happy fictional tv couple. 

It's true, for certain.  However, it's one of the two things I've seen that irks viewers. And I'm not just talking about the established anti-fans.  A show on death-slot Tuesday doesn't need to irk anyone.

Edited by TWP
On 10/18/2018 at 1:18 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

I like Fillion but I wish they could have came up with something for him besides another cop show.

Agreed.  Wish they would have come up with a different vehicle for him to play.    If they want to maintain the police procedural avenue, why couldn't he have been the Captain, TO, a judge, lawyer, etc.    BTW, this is just another reboot of the original series with Paul Sorvino (for those old enough to remember that) so I'd rather see him play a different sort of role.    This is different from the Rookies with Kate Jackson, Georg Sanford Brown, Michael Ontkean and think there was one more.

I was a huge Castle fan until the character assassination starting late S4 and onward.   Also, with Alexi Hawley being the showrunner (with this series), resulted in the downfalls of Castle in the latter seasons and ruined it for most of us fans on the Castle boards. .   This isn't truly a huge stretch, acting-wise, for NF and I'll have to give it another few episodes before I cast judgment.   It's not a bad ensemble cast but the storyline is a bit weak.  I don't believe it will have the necessary staying power for multiple seasons.

On 10/21/2018 at 2:59 AM, shapeshifter said:

I'm guessing some network decision maker ordered a sexy hookup in the first episode after it was all cast. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me—not that I think it was in any way a positive contribution to the show. So unnecessary. I could fanwank it for them that since Melissa O'Neil is 30 and NF's character is 40, they're only 10 years apart, and since 30 is a little late to be a rookie, they bonded over that. But they'll probably make her character younger. Stupid move, show.

I get kind of sick of seeing these shows/movies where some guy is sleeping with a young, beautiful woman when there seems to be no reason for it other than they older more established male star needs to be seen to be "hot" so he gets to be seen to hook up with someone youthful and vibrant.  Would said woman really be interested in real life? I'm not so sure.  I'm growing a bit tired of these relationships and with everything that's actually gone on in Hollywood as of late (#metoomovement), I'm surprised they would still proceed with this relationship.    Yes, they're both rookies but as the other TO said to her to "break it off"--and I get it, not because of age.   But in reality, what irks me is that why they couldn't have a more "mature" woman play his love interest.   They act as if there's a problem with having or portraying that type of relationship.  After all, he does have a grown son who's closer in age to the woman he's dating.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, cathmed said:

I get kind of sick of seeing these shows/movies where some guy is sleeping with a young, beautiful woman when there seems to be no reason for it other than they older more established male star needs to be seen to be "hot" so he gets to be seen to hook up with someone youthful and vibrant.

Us old guys need heroes too!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Rerunning the pilot?????? 

Yes, all the networks have done this with their new shows this season - Manifest, Magnum, New Amsterdam, A Million Little Things all aired an encore of their first episode at some point before the second episode aired. 

8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

They showed a similar event in SouthLAnd, although the FTO didn't make him walk.

Along with the second appearance of Major Bunny Colvin on The Wire. Although he was the Western Division Commander, equivalent to the Mid. Wilshire Captain on The Rookie  

4 hours ago, cathmed said:

Agreed.  Wish they would have come up with a different vehicle for him to play.    If they want to maintain the police procedural avenue, why couldn't he have been the Captain, TO, a judge, lawyer, etc.    BTW, this is just another reboot of the original series with Paul Sorvino (for those old enough to remember that) so I'd rather see him play a different sort of role.    This is different from the Rookies with Kate Jackson, Georg Sanford Brown, Michael Ontkean and think there was one more.

I was a huge Castle fan until the character assassination starting late S4 and onward.   Also, with Alexi Hawley being the showrunner (with this series), resulted in the downfalls of Castle in the latter seasons and ruined it for most of us fans on the Castle boards. .   This isn't truly a huge stretch, acting-wise, for NF and I'll have to give it another few episodes before I cast judgment.   It's not a bad ensemble cast but the storyline is a bit weak.  I don't believe it will have the necessary staying power for multiple seasons.

Sam Melville was the third rookie Kate Jackson's husband and slightly older more mature  USAF veteran.  The other two were portrayed as a new type of recruit. Not exactly an undercover Mod Squad but going with that same general ideal. 

1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

Yes, all the networks have done this with their new shows this season - Manifest, Magnum, New Amsterdam, A Million Little Things all aired an encore of their first episode at some point before the second episode aired. 

Yes, I've seen this,  shows rebroadcast between episode one and episode two. But I don't think I've ever seen them re-run the pilot in place of episode two in the original time slot.  I have  a bit of a conflict between Rookie and Manifest.  Tonight I chose Rookie and was   disappointed to see the re-run scheduled.   I watched Manifest and I'm getting drawn deeper and deeper into the story line.  I may end up relegating Rookie to On Demand watching, in part because I'm a little miffed about tonight's re-run.

Edited by Skycatcher
1 minute ago, Skycatcher said:

Yes, I've seen this,  shows rebroadcast between episode one and episode two. But I don't think I've ever seen them re-run the pilot in place of episode two in the original time slot.  I have  a bit of a conflict between Rookie and Manifest.  Tonight I chose Rookie and was especially disappointed to see the re-run scheduled.

Original episodes of The Rookie are airing on Tuesday nights.  Episode 2 should air tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10pm.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

Yes, I've seen this,  shows rebroadcast between episode one and episode two. But I don't think I've ever seen them re-run the pilot in place of episode two in the original time slot.  I have  a bit of a conflict between Rookie and Manifest.  Tonight I chose Rookie and was   disappointed to see the re-run scheduled.   I watched Manifest and I'm getting drawn deeper and deeper into the story line.  I may end up relegating Rookie to On Demand watching, in part because I'm a little miffed about tonight's re-run.

The Rookie airs on Tuesday nights at 10/9, not Monday. New episode #2 airs tomorrow (Tuesday) night in it's original time slot. So this rerun did not air in it's original time slot, it aired in the time slot that normally belongs to The Good Doctor.  Solves your Rookie/Manifest problem, and your reason for being miffed. :-) 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Original episodes of The Rookie are airing on Tuesday nights.  Episode 2 should air tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10pm.

Well DOH!!!!  ?   Thank you for straightening me out on that. Sheesh,  I was completely locked in on the idea that tonight was the original broadcast.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

Well DOH!!!!  ?   Thank you for straightening me out on that. Sheesh,  I was completely locked in on the idea that tonight was the original broadcast.

I do think it's atypical for a network to rerun the pilot on a Monday. Don't they usually reair them on Fridays or Saturdays? 

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I do think it's atypical for a network to rerun the pilot on a Monday. Don't they usually reair them on Fridays or Saturdays? 

Right now they couldn't be sure how long the baseball playoffs would last. So schedules will be a bit different. CBS tends to use Saturdays,  if they are not showing an episode from the previous season, without the Friday block that CBS has NBC has been using Friday nights also.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The other new series encores have all been aired during the week I believe, not on weekends. For example, ABC ran the A Million Little Things encore on Tuesday in the pre-Rookie time slot, so it was the night before AMLT's second episode aired. 

• Love 1

I love Nathan Fillion, so I had to give this a try.  I think it's a decent role for him, but at the same time, the police background is too close to Castle, so I keep expecting "Castle" to show up in dialog, behavior, snark, etc.  I would have preferred to see Fillion in a show that had nothing to do with law enforcement.  (Bringing back Firefly is too much to ask for, but a girl can dream.) 

Overall, it was an ok pilot.  Characters were ok, cast seems to gel pretty well together.  My nit picks:  1.  Why the move to LA?  Why didn't he just apply to some police force in PA where he already lived?  2.  I hated the "I just happen to have this friend who owns Barbie's Malibu Dream House that he's letting me live in rent free" bit.  Totally unnecessary, totally unbelievable.  I'd rather the friend have a spare, normal apartment over his business if we have to provide some justification as to why Nolan needs to live rent free.  Are they setting up a plot twist where Nolan really comes from money, but he wants to live like an average Joe, but this house is really his?  I'm sure it will figure in some way down the line.  3.  Not crazy about the immediate pairing of Nolan and the other rookie.  Doesn't really add anything to the plot, except to get in the way (he will do something stupid to save her life at some point, or vice versa).  4.  The age thing.  Why try and pass him off as 40?  Why not 45 (to his real 47)? 

I'm not sure I'll continue to tune in.  My biggest issue is that it's a cop show at heart, and I don't really like cop shows.  (Castle was the rare exception for me, because the focal point was someone who was not a cop.)  I may give it a few more episodes, but if it's all car chases and gun fights, blech, I'm out. 

29 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I love Nathan Fillion, so I had to give this a try.  I think it's a decent role for him, but at the same time, the police background is too close to Castle, so I keep expecting "Castle" to show up in dialog, behavior, snark, etc.  I would have preferred to see Fillion in a show that had nothing to do with law enforcement.  (Bringing back Firefly is too much to ask for, but a girl can dream.) 

Overall, it was an ok pilot.  Characters were ok, cast seems to gel pretty well together.  My nit picks:  1.  Why the move to LA?  Why didn't he just apply to some police force in PA where he already lived?  2.  I hated the "I just happen to have this friend who owns Barbie's Malibu Dream House that he's letting me live in rent free" bit.  Totally unnecessary, totally unbelievable.  I'd rather the friend have a spare, normal apartment over his business if we have to provide some justification as to why Nolan needs to live rent free.  Are they setting up a plot twist where Nolan really comes from money, but he wants to live like an average Joe, but this house is really his?  I'm sure it will figure in some way down the line.  3.  Not crazy about the immediate pairing of Nolan and the other rookie.  Doesn't really add anything to the plot, except to get in the way (he will do something stupid to save her life at some point, or vice versa).  4.  The age thing.  Why try and pass him off as 40?  Why not 45 (to his real 47)? 

I'm not sure I'll continue to tune in.  My biggest issue is that it's a cop show at heart, and I don't really like cop shows.  (Castle was the rare exception for me, because the focal point was someone who was not a cop.)  I may give it a few more episodes, but if it's all car chases and gun fights, blech, I'm out. 

Someone was asking about age limits earlier. While I have known older folks joining small town local police departments LAPD does not have age limits and they have marketing to match the US Marines "we are the best and not just any officers so come out west". It took awhile after Rodney King beatings and riots, one of those four was a transplant from Kansas police force, for that reputation to be restored

For his age the same thing was done with Connie Britton on 9-1-1.  40 must be the magic number the marketing departments found. The hero protagonist with the rich patron did seem out of place. I missed the line and assumed it was the girlfriend's place as the cop with rich family.

55 minutes ago, chaifan said:

To be fair, I've seen Nolan's age stated as 40, 40-something, 42 and 45 (and some of these were stated by Rookie related outlets). Until we get something that is stated in the actual show, I tend to think 40 is a generalization and not meant to be his specific age?

Nolan said his college friend was letting him rent their "guest" house. Wonder what the main house looks like if that's the guest house! Don't think it was stated as being rent free. 

I liked it except for the “twist” of him dating one of the other rookies. I also really disliked the trainer who made the racist comments, but I will hang in there at least while longer to see where it goes.