Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Starting over isn’t easy, especially for small-town guy John Nolan who, after a life-altering incident, is pursuing his dream of being a police officer. Airs Tuesday, 10/16/2018 at 10:00 p.m. ET on ABC.

• Love 1

I saw a couple of promos last week, but didn't really pay that much attention to it.  Caught one tonight, and since there wasn't anything else on that I was interested, I decided to tune in.  I'm glad I did - I think it was really well done, especially for a pilot.  They set up his backstory fairly quickly, jumped to Day 1 on the job, and it took off from there.  I enjoyed the interaction between the rookies, as well as between all three patrol teams.

I knew the old guy was going to get beat up for leaving his partner during the final shootout.  I also thought he was going to get some heat for shooting the perp in the leg - yes, it saved the hostage, and they were able to arrest the guy, but everything you hear about real-life police is you don't shoot to try to wound a suspect.  At first, I thought he was sleeping with the precinct captain, not the female rookie.

I think I'm going to stick around for a while and see how it goes.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rhys said:

Except N F doesn't look anywhere near 40. What is the point? Get an actor who does would be my choice.

I too had thought they should've either cast a 40-year-old or made him at least a 45-year-old rookie, but NF has gotten into shape, and except for his neck wrinkles and a few eye creases, he looks believeably 40 rather than Hollywood 40.

Definitely the most well written pilot I've seen this season.

And I did LOL when the squad watched NF's character get stuck in the fence. It was a classic comedy setup in that we, the audience, had already seen it happen and had seen lots of body cam shots, so we were both cringing and ready to laugh when it was shown to the squad with the trigger warning that they were about to see something truly terrible.

And by showing us in the pilot that the baby survived but the domestic violence guy did not, the writers assured us that they wouldn't go too dark. Similarly, the mean drill-sergeant-style TO was seen to have a soft spot for his estranged junkie wife—which was almost OTT to the point that it could've been a shout-out to NF's soap days—but it also assured us that There Will Be Balanced characters. 
So, a pretty tightly written pilot.
Hope they can keep it up when the writing and shooting schedule are tighter.

• Love 10

Well, I was in for Nathan, but then I saw Richard T Jones = and now I am all in.  

Pleasepleaseohplease!  Showrunners: cast Amy Brenneman as his ex-wife-with-benefits, so all of us Judging Amy fans can finally see Bruce & Amy get it on. Do this and I'll stop asking Santa for a pony, I swear.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, rhys said:

Except N F doesn't look anywhere near 40. What is the point? Get an actor who does would be my choice.

Except that doesn't work since this show was meant as a vehicle for Nathan Fillion. I thought he looked fine. Older than 40? Sure. But some people do look older than their age.

As for the pilot, it was decent. I really wasn't feeling the cop that is partnered with the Spanish-speaking cop. Yes, she did not say what he told her to the folks in the car, but IMO, he was just being a dick, so I get why his partner softened things. Expected - and got - the usual age jokes. I get why they are put in, but I hope they are toned down eventually.

All in all, however, not a bad start, especially for a pilot.

• Love 4

I thought that was a really well-paced pilot. You got to meet everyone, get some defining characteristics so they all stood out, and all of the relationships and issues are established pretty early on, but without it feeling forced.

I also like the bits of humour (I watch FBI right before this and desperately need the humour after that show). I think if this is the pilot, then the actual show will just get better. Pilots are usually not the high water mark, so I'm really looking forward to this.

• Love 9

The rookies had a jam packed couple of days. Pilots can be cringey in that way but it was likable. I tuned in For Fillion but thought he was the weakest link. I can’t put my finger on why though. I really liked the rest of the cast. Especially jerk TO Tim and Lucy. Happy to see Melissa O’Neill again. 

• Love 2

Well.  I expected to love The Rookie pilot.  And I didn't.  It was okay, nothing special. 

I'll watch the next few episodes, but I'm certainly not all in.  I'm honestly rooting for John Nolan to get canned from the force, and spin off into a new mid-life crisis with a better showrunner.  I do not think the problem is Nathan nor any of the other actors.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TWP said:

Well.  I expected to love The Rookie pilot.  And I didn't.  It was okay, nothing special. 

I hated it. Everyone on that show is a jerk. From the superior officer who lives to make John's life miserable to the officer who got shot. They are all jerks and borderline bullies that I don't want to spend an hour with every week. Too bad. I thought this was going to be about Nolan making a difference but seems he is trying and all the jerks around him are making it needlessly hard. Compare this depiction of cops and first responders in LA with the depiction on 9-1-1. 

• Love 5

I'll stick around and watch some more episodes before I fully commit, but I wasn't feeling the rookie romance.  Seems a little early to bring that up, but I probably would have hated it a few episodes in even if they had waited.   

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BooBear said:

I hated it. Everyone on that show is a jerk. From the superior officer who lives to make John's life miserable to the officer who got shot. They are all jerks and borderline bullies that I don't want to spend an hour with every week. Too bad. I thought this was going to be about Nolan making a difference but seems he is trying and all the jerks around him are making it needlessly hard. Compare this depiction of cops and first responders in LA with the depiction on 9-1-1. 

Exactly, lovely actors, IMHO, but poor characters, poor story (poor showrunner).  According to Hawley, he didn't "fuck it up," in fact he deserves a long, self-congratulatory, humble-bragging Instagram post.  Maybe if I read his post over and over again, I'll believe it.  I guess we'll have to see how next week goes.  I only got through one episode of 9-1-1 and won't go back, so maybe -- speaking only for me! -- the Rookie is better.

• Love 2

I don't care if asshole TO has a soft spot for his junkie wife.  He's still an asshole.  I don't care if Sarge's "calling" is making sure all of his officers come home safe at the end of the day.  John Nolan is one of his officers too.  Sarge saying that if Nolan's calling is to be a police officer then any humiliating, bullying, sabatoging he does won't make any difference is just granting himself the right to be an asshole bully.  You don't get to grant yourself permission buddy!  Also, I'm thinking making it through the Police Academy at age 40 isn't a walk in the park and would weed out the masses of mid life crisis wannabes you think are going to sign up if John Nolan isn't kicked off the force.

There are characters I enjoyed and I thought the camera work was good.  They didn't overdo the body cam shots - which could make me ill if they use too much!  But the show may ultimately be too dark for me if they don't tone down the bullying.  Sarge threatening to derail the career of John's TO if she doesn't tank John doesn't make the LAPD look too good.

• Love 14

I'm hopeful for the asshole trainer because the character reminded me a bit of Bosco from Third Watch, who I ended up just loving despite his issues. I hope we're going to see something similar with him. Minus the junkie wife. I could do without that.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

I'm hopeful for the asshole trainer because the character reminded me a bit of Bosco from Third Watch, who I ended up just loving despite his issues. I hope we're going to see something similar with him. Minus the junkie wife. I could do without that.

He was way over the top. Though the actor usually plays such bland characters I am happy he got an acting challenge.  You can be a tough mentor without being a jerk. Did he call his rookie "boo" ? Btw, there was actually a show called "the rookies" about rookie police officers -- it had Kate Jackson on it. No one got treated like this.  If this is what the LAPD is like we have bigger problems than a 40 year old police officer.

But the show may ultimately be too dark for me if they don't tone down the bullying. 

Absolutely. And frankly, I just don't understand. I know plenty of officers and agents who are well over 40 years old. Heck what was TJ Hooker?  This joke deserves a few funny lines not a vast conspiracy to get the older guy. 

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Absolutely. And frankly, I just don't understand. I know plenty of officers and agents who are well over 40 years old. Heck what was TJ Hooker?  This joke deserves a few funny lines not a vast conspiracy to get the older guy. 

Nolan was the oldest Rookie, but he fit right into the average age in the training room.   The "vast conspiracy to get the old guy" is just another of the ridiculous story choices.  

• Love 2

Honestly, LAPD history is so, so much worse than the bullying we're seeing on this show. Rampart, allegations of racism, cops raping women while on duty, Rodney King, years and years of police brutality ... LAPD has a long history of corruption and sickening behaviour, so this is small peanuts. I actually like the fact they're showing some really shitty behaviour from the characters, because I'm sure it pales in comparison to reality.

The trainers were calling them "boot" - slang for a rookie officer. LAPD has a LOT of weird slang.

ETA: A great book I read that had a lot of info about LAPD history that was quite interesting https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6088116-l-a-noir

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 9
59 minutes ago, BooBear said:

And frankly, I just don't understand. I know plenty of officers and agents who are well over 40 years old. Heck what was TJ Hooker?  This joke deserves a few funny lines not a vast conspiracy to get the older guy. 

How many of those officers and agents that you know who are over 40 just completed the academy and are new to the job?  Probably none - they all likely started when they were in the 20s, so having a 40 year old rookie is a big deal to them.  Hell, I know some guys who joined the force after a year or two of college, put in 20 years, and retired in their early 40s.

They need to know that he won't be a hazard to himself, to his fellow officers, and to the general public, which is why they are being hard on him.

33 minutes ago, threebluestars said:

The trainers were calling them "boot" - slang for a rookie officer. LAPD has a LOT of weird slang.

I wonder if @Snowprince is watching.  His contributions to the SouthLand forum were priceless!

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2

I had the average expectations one would have for a network procedural, and honestly had really hoped that Nathan Fillion would be doing something other than that after Castle, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot.  I liked it.  I enjoyed Castle but this was nothing like Castle.  It was fast paced- some might argue too fast at times- but it kept me from getting bored like I do when the cop procedural just revolves around one main investigation (COTW) in an episode.  I thought there was a good intro to the ensemble, with each of the different characters (and actors) bringing something different to the table, with their own future challenges, and they held my interest.  I'm enjoying the dynamic between Nolan and Bishop.  Nolan and Chen worked for me too, even if I'm not sure that's a necessary complication at this stage, but it does add another layer to their dynamic.  Bradford was a bit over the top (good to see Eric Winter play something different), but I actually felt a lot of the hazing or "training" from characters like Bradford and Sergeant rang true.   I don't think they make things a piece of cake for rookies, especially anyone who's different, including being way older.  (It sounds like the real life older rookie wasn't exactly welcomed in the LAPD and I'm not surprised if that were the case.)  All in all, I enjoyed this look at policing.  It felt more realistic than many other cop shows in that it took a closer look at the day to day on patrol, but as a network show, I don't feel it's going to delve into the dark side of policing. that does exist  That's not this show.  This show is about second chances, finding your calling, and growing appreciation for how hard policing actually is.

Shallow note: 40 year old or not, the hair is still on point.  :P  I am looking forward to the shorter haircut though.   And Nolan continues the trend of Nathan Fillion's characters having fantastic homes!  Good that they explained it wasn't his. And I liked that they used his builder knowledge to help in his work. 

"Because you're a people person?", made me laugh.  I like that Nolan isn't afraid to wisecrack. 

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I also thought he was going to get some heat for shooting the perp in the leg - yes, it saved the hostage, and they were able to arrest the guy, but everything you hear about real-life police is you don't shoot to try to wound a suspect. 

I've never understood that, if that's indeed police protocol.  Seems like there are quite a few tragic cases of shooting to kill, where to me, a layperson, deadly force should not have been the first resort.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 5

Overall, I thought it was well cast, very well acted, and poorly written. That gives me some hope; a clunky pilot episode can lead to a good show, if the actors are on point.

The good: Nathan Fillion is charming, as always. I also very much liked the dynamics between the female characters. The two established officers, Bishop and Lopez, had a friendly rivalry-- fierce competitors, but not cutting each other down. And Bishop's advice to Lucy seemed like it came from a good place, looking out for a young woman who might be harming her career. 

The bad: Way to much speechifying -- mostly Nolan, but also the Sergeant, go on and on with trite musings that are supposed to sound deep. Bradford, the T.O., could have been interesting. He presents himself as a sadistic, racist jerk, but that may just be a training technique, and his facility at dissecting Bishop and Lopez's feelings about promotion was interesting. Yet we've already randomly met his junkie wife and seen him get shot, so it's like the writers couldn't wait to reveal that he's not just an asshole. A little patience would have made for a better payoff.

In the big picture, I'm worried about staying power. As Lucy said, in a year or two Nolan will just be one of the guys. Sure, he'll be a decade or two behind in terms of promotions, but once he's no longer a rookie a lot of the premise of the show goes away.

• Love 1

I've never understood that, if that's indeed police protocol.  Seems like there are quite a few tragic cases of shooting to kill, where to me, a layperson, deadly force should not have been the first resort. 

Police are always taught to shoot "center mass".  It's the easiest area to hit and unfortunately certain situations call for deadly force.  It always bugged me and my dad (former LEO) would see episodes in which police shoot for arms or the hand (he used to joke he blamed "The Lone Ranger" for that - since that character would always shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand).  

I also had an issue in which the drug dealer was arrested and in cuffs and then suddenly he's allowed to go free on the senior officer's say so.  That would NOT have happened IRL.  Once those cuffs go on (unless you're being "detained" and they have to tell you that at the moment it occurs) you can't "un-arrest" them.  Plus, it's all on body cam and someone would have to explain to their superiors why they did that.

Just now, tpel said:

The bad: Way to much speechifying -- mostly Nolan, but also the Sergeant, go on and on with trite musings that are supposed to sound deep. Bradford, the T.O., could have been interesting. He presents himself as a sadistic, racist jerk, but that may just be a training technique, and his facility at dissecting Bishop and Lopez's feelings about promotion was interesting. Yet we've already randomly met his junkie wife and seen him get shot, so it's like the writers couldn't wait to reveal that he's not just an asshole. A little patience would have made for a better payoff.

Ditto.  I found my self wishing they'd shut up!  Too distracting and didn't add to the story.

Just now, tpel said:

Sure, he'll be a decade or two behind in terms of promotions, but once he's no longer a rookie a lot of the premise of the show goes away.

Good point.  Hope that he graduates to detective soon - then he'd be a different sort of rookie.  I did like that crack about him wanting to make detective so he'd become Chief one day!

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I did like that crack about him wanting to make detective so he'd become Chief one day!

Wasn't that what his TO had said earlier? That she wanted to be a detective because it was on the road to chief? I thought it was a friendly poke at her earlier comment.

• Love 4

I didn't mind everyone being a jerk because it gives them room to grown.  The Closer started out like that.  Brenda had to earn her team's trust.  By the end of the show they were all completely loyal to her.  I expect that if The Rookie is on for a few years we'll see the characters move in that direction too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tpel said:

Bradford, the T.O., could have been interesting. He presents himself as a sadistic, racist jerk, but that may just be a training technique

Yeah, initially Bradford reminded me of back in the 60s when my boyfriend used to describe his drill sergeant as being at least verbally a sadistic bully, which seemed appropriate when preparing a teenage draftee to get dumped in a Vietnamese jungle to fight to the death against the home team—and might not be much different in some of today's ganglands.
But as soon as Bradford started speaking fluent Spanish, it became obvious that a lot of his schtick was just that.
But then I just got character-whiplash with the junkie wife scene.

59 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

I didn't mind everyone being a jerk because it gives them room to grown. The Closer started out like that. Brenda had to earn her team's trust. By the end of the show they were all completely loyal to her. I expect that if The Rookie is on for a few years we'll see the characters move in that direction too.

I thought of The Closer character introductions too. All of the hard a$$s might turn into teddy bears pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I  also had an issue in which the drug dealer was arrested and in cuffs and then suddenly he's allowed to go free on the senior officer's say so.  That would NOT have happened IRL.  Once those cuffs go on (unless you're being "detained" and they have to tell you that at the moment it occurs) you can't "un-arrest" them.  Plus, it's all on body cam and someone would have to explain to their superiors why they did that.

While watching that scene I too thought: WTH? But now I think I recall him turning off her body cam before that when he was chewing her out for the Spanish "translating" which, BTW, I thought she did a good job of letting them know what was what.

Edited by shapeshifter
10 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Nolan/The female rookie couple is the most random thing done for future potential drama ever. Also, it made me cringe.

Yeah, I didn't care for that at all. They are both consenting adults, and there is no power differential at work, so I don't really have any ethical objections. But it cheapens Nolan's character, making it seem like maybe this is all just a midlife crisis -- hot new job, dating a girl half his age. It helps a bit that the actress is 30, though they seem to be writing her as younger.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Nolan/The female rookie couple is the most random thing done for future potential drama ever. Also, it made me cringe.

My theory is the relationship or its fallout will come to some climax and then it will go down as another lesson learned.  It happened too fast, there was no back story, it'll soon go away #fingerscrossed.

• Love 5

I was certain that I would not watch this (never been a big Nathan Fillion fan). I didn’t even watch any of the previews. However, I decided to tune in and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. 

Also, as I was watching I said out loud: those two rookies are totally going to get together. Two minutes later, they just spent the night together. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BooBear said:

I hated it. Everyone on that show is a jerk. From the superior officer who lives to make John's life miserable to the officer who got shot. They are all jerks and borderline bullies that I don't want to spend an hour with every week. Too bad. I thought this was going to be about Nolan making a difference but seems he is trying and all the jerks around him are making it needlessly hard. 

This was my reaction too. I'll give it at least one more episode, because I don't think it's fair to judge a show based just on the pilot. But if they don't tone down the bullying and general assholishness of everyone, I'm out. Punking someone or teasing them, like with the video of Nolan fighting with the fence, is fine. Acting like racist, sexist jerks is just not entertaining to me. And I know it's tv, but all the shooting was a bit much. Most cops go their entire career without ever shooting anyone.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Except that doesn't work since this show was meant as a vehicle for Nathan Fillion. I thought he looked fine. Older than 40? Sure. But some people do look older than their age.

I was okay with him looking mire weathered given his previous profession was construction. Doing 20 years in a job where some proportion of the job is outside ages a person’s skin. 

I watched this, like many, because I like Nathan Fillion, but really thought it would be fluffier, a la Castle. I actually loved that it had a bit more dramatic heft. It really was the best pilot I’ve seen in a while.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

I was okay with him looking mire weathered given his previous profession was construction. Doing 20 years in a job where some proportion of the job is outside ages a person’s skin. 

That’s a very good point. The only real issue I had with the show thus far was that NF looked every bit his 47 years, but I can see how this would work so now I’m just going with this. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

How many of those officers and agents that you know who are over 40 just completed the academy and are new to the job?  Probably none - they all likely started when they were in the 20s, so having a 40 year old rookie is a big deal to them.  Hell, I know some guys who joined the force after a year or two of college, put in 20 years, and retired in their early 40s.

They need to know that he won't be a hazard to himself, to his fellow officers, and to the general public, which is why they are being hard on him.

I wonder if @Snowprince is watching.  His contributions to the SouthLand forum were priceless!

I don't think I could watch this one with a straight face, Moose. And BTW, my oldest boot was 52. He didn't make probation not because he couldn't cut it, but after a couple of months he decided this second career wasn't for him.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, CooperTV said:

From all the promos wasn't expecting three rookies , then I was thinking just like The Rookies, from which the original S.W.A.T. had a backdoor pilot . In that case two of the rookies were roomates and the third older USAF veteran  was married

Edited by Raja
7 hours ago, magicdog said:

Police are always taught to shoot "center mass".  It's the easiest area to hit and unfortunately certain situations call for deadly force.  It always bugged me and my dad (former LEO) would see episodes in which police shoot for arms or the hand (he used to joke he blamed "The Lone Ranger" for that - since that character would always shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand).  

I also had an issue in which the drug dealer was arrested and in cuffs and then suddenly he's allowed to go free on the senior officer's say so.  That would NOT have happened IRL.  Once those cuffs go on (unless you're being "detained" and they have to tell you that at the moment it occurs) you can't "un-arrest" them.  Plus, it's all on body cam and someone would have to explain to their superiors why they did that.

Ditto.  I found my self wishing they'd shut up!  Too distracting and didn't add to the story.

Good point.  Hope that he graduates to detective soon - then he'd be a different sort of rookie.  I did like that crack about him wanting to make detective so he'd become Chief one day!

You're pop might get a kick out of the British show DCI Banks. A big plot point on an episode was that an armed police constable using a taser didn't aim for the arm when he thought he was stopping a sword waving man.  Since a preexisting medical condition caused death the introduction of an internal affairs investigation going over and over again that he was one of the top 10% shooters in the UK why didn't he taser the arm. Later in episode the Chief Inspector   trusted that sniper to shoot a gun out of someone's hand at night from rifle distance.

The Watch Commander Sergeant's super hostility and the legacy surviving to patrol another day were my biggest  "oh come on" moments.  Along with how much.  I presume the female officer's home is worth?

But as a show it was okay. I don't see myself staying up for it but if I am up at that time it is better than hate watching NCIS New Orleans.

Edited by Raja
52 minutes ago, Raja said:

Along with how much.  I presume the female officer's home is worth?

Do you mean the scene where we found out that Nolan and the female rookie are sneaking around? He mentioned that it belonged to a friend of his who was letting him stay there.

I liked the misdirection that Nolan was considering hooking up with the waitress before the reveal that he was with the female rookie. I confess I did not see that coming. She is young for him but so far he seems to treat her like a human rather than an accessory. I'd like to see him with his son and how the son reacts to the girlfriend.

I liked the fact that they showed Nolan's strength in talking to strangers in tense situations. It reminded me of Flashpoint. And that otherwise he was a mixed bag. But I want to see everyone get better at first aid -- Nolan didn't seem to do anything to check the vital signs of the kid he took out of the car before he lifted his head, and his TO didn't call him out for it.

I love Nolan's TO. She seemed to be at a reasonable level of strict/hazing. Eric Winter was too unpleasant and I couldn't adjust when he ran into his junkie wife. If he doesn't have a better balance after being shot I will get very tired of him.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too had thought they should've either cast a 40-year-old or made him at least a 45-year-old rookie, but NF has gotten into shape, and except for his neck wrinkles and a few eye creases, he looks believeably 40 rather than Hollywood 40.

I mean Nathan Fillion can come and get it anytime he wants, but I was still rolling my eyes every time they called him 40, which was A LOT. If I didn't know he was pushing 50, I might have blelieved it, but I do. I probably wouldn't have cared if they wouldn't have sayed it over and over and over again.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TWP said:

My theory is the relationship or its fallout will come to some climax and then it will go down as another lesson learned.  It happened too fast, there was no back story, it'll soon go away #fingerscrossed.

It's certainly going there. Plus, I'm hoping for some age-appropriate pairing for Nolan. They have nice chemistry with his TO.

• Love 1

This was better than I expected (my expectations weren't sky high but still), but count me in the category that doesn't want to tune in to watch the glorification of bullying every week. Not given what's going on in the real world. So I hope the hazing stuff tapers off.