Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

The Wheel Of Time

Q&A with the showrunner, after the show had been picked up, but shortly before being green lit

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/09/wheel-of-time-tv-showrunner-hosts-q.html

Main take-aways:

The books will not be mapped 1:1 to the TV show seasons. This sounds like the approach taken by The Expanse (which took all of Season 1 and then 4 episodes from Season 2 to adapt Book 1, then 8 episodes of Season 2 and 5 from Season 3 to adapt Book 2 etc) and the new His Dark Materials show (which will adapt 3 books across 5 seasons).
    Episodes will be 1 hour long each.
    There'll be more than 5, but definitely less than 14, seasons in total.
    Amazon hasn't greenlit the project yet but there's been positive sounds in the last few months (which is why he's been allowed to do the Q&A).
    New Spring may be adapted as well, possibly as a special of some kind once the series is fully underway (could be a good way of keeping Moiraine and Lan's actors interested when they're not doing much in the main series).
    The TV show will be a faithful adaptation of the books, but will of course have to condense some characters, storylines. Apparently the "latter middle" section of the series may be compressed a bit more (i.e. PoD through CoT, surprising nobody). Judkins notes himself as a Lady Stoneheart fan (from Game of Thrones) and was sorry to see her cut from the TV show, but these things are sometimes necessary.
    He wants to cast Rand and the Aiel as "tall gingers" if possible.
    On LGTBQ+ representati on, there'll be "pillow friends out of the wazoo."
    How channelling will be ha ndled is still being discussed, but Judkins liked how the magic was done in Doctor Strange and Avengers: Infinity War, which may serve as a template.
    Trollocs and other Shadowspawn may be a combination of CGI and prosthetics, but he feels that prosthetics is better for both actor and viewer immersion.
    Billy Zane will not be reprising his role of Ishamael from the Red Eagle informercial.
    Judkins is aiming for the quality level o f the LotR movies or GoT, definitely not Shannara.
    Brandon Sanderson, Harriet and the rest of Team Jordan will advise on the show's development, some more than others (I suspect Brandon will be busy with his own books to do a huge amount, though).
    Confirmed characters: Rand, Egwene, Cenn Buie (if less than in the book), Logain (in an expanded role), Tam, Bela, Padan Fain (who'll be less obviously a villain), Faile, Mat. His favourite Forsaken are Graendal and Moghedien, so it sounds like they'll be in as well.
    Unconfirmed characters: Aviendha, Min, Elayne. Judkins notes that the four-way relationship from the books isn't really viable for the show and will be changed. He refused to confirm if this means that some of these characters will be merged or cut. I suspect this is the most controversial take-away from the Q&A. My guess is that the characters will still be in the show and Rand may be sequential relationships with them, but won't be in a polygamous relationship with all of them at once.
    His favourite character is Egwene and his favourite scene is Dumai's Wells. His least favourite character is Faile, but promises she'll be awesome on the show. In terms of tough scene s to write, Tel'aran'rhiod is proving problematic (mainly as they won't know how it's going to be depicted until the vfx department comes on board).
    There'll be less braid-tugging and dress-smoothing than in the books. There will be one braid-tug in the first episode thoug h.
    No decision yet on filming locations. He hopes the budget will be large enough so they can visit the most appropriate lo cations around the world.

News of the green light, and some specialties here:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/amazon-robert-jordans-the-wheel-of-time-1202474485/

https://screenrant.com/wheel-time-tv-show-amazon/

Edited by Which Tyler
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Unconfirmed characters: Aviendha, Min, Elayne.

I bet Min would be the one to go. I tend to think you absolutely need the others. 

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

I bet Min would be the one to go. I tend to think you absolutely need the others. 

I don't think you can get rid of any of them; but none of the three really need to be introduced in the first season (though Min & Elayne ought to be).

Elayne is needed more for Egwene's storyline; so she could drop out of the love-quadrangle very easily; leaving it for Min and Aviendha - which would be fine, and could work if shown as indecision and cheating on each of them; but nothing will work in terms of them all getting together and just accepting it. It didn't in the books, and I can't see a way of that working out okay on the show.

I don't see how they can cut Elayne. IMO, the other two could go without it changing things too much. I was never on the wagon with Rand basically having a harem.

I would think you'd want Av there as the 'in' to the Aiel since there's like 70 million of them. Elayne is the queen of the largest nation and has a ton to do all over the place, so I think she's integral to the story. They probably could cut out all of the junk with the mother's side plot. That dragged so much. 

I hope they get an absolute scenery chewer for Ish. 

‘The Wheel Of Time’: Uta Briesewitz To Direct First Two Episodes Of Amazon Fantasy Drama Series

Uta Briesewitz (Westworld) is set to direct the first two episodes of The Wheel Of Time, Amazon’s series adaptation of Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic.

Amazon Prime Video will launch the one-hour series in over 200 countries and territories, from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D  writer Rafe Judkins, Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios.

The Wheel of Time, which has sold over 90M books worldwide, is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists, but only women can use it. The story follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the ‘Aes Sedai’ as she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women. Moiraine believes one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, whom prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it. The series draws on numerous elements of European and Asian culture and philosophy, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism.