Type keyword(s) to search

A Discovery Of Witches - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, NYGirl said:

If I read the books I'd picture Matthew more imposing.  I've read Nancy Warren's Vampire Knitting Club and the head vampire Rafe is supposed to be extremely good looking and imposing.  In fact I found a couple of similarities between Matthew and Rafe.

Funny you should mention that... I’m a Vampire Knitting Club fan and Matthew is exactly who I’ve always pictured in my mind as Rafe. Must be because they both drive black Teslas.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just started watching this, season 1. I read the books, this is better. Matthew Goode is acting the crap out of this. The woman playing Diana just isn’t up to his level, in fact the rest of the cast seems to be propping her up. But I’ll keep watching, just for Goode. 

• Love 2
On 2/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, CAM said:

I just remember a few other thoughts that I had for episode 5:

Hide contents

I was surprised that they had Diana actually fall off the horse and that it took Matthew a few beats before he realized what happened.

Unless I missed it, I don't think that ever happened the book,  plus I don't care how distracted or preoccupied Book Matthew was, he would never had allowed that to happen, he would have sensed it before it happened. But I guess that is one of those things that got edited out (Matthew being attuned to Diana)

IIRC, she actually did in the "outtake" chapter for SoN that got published in TWoAS, but unlike the Domenico chapter from ADoW, this one contradicts the book, so we shouldn't consider it cannon.

Anyone else here HATE Tom Hughes?   He is pretty enough, but why does he always whisper?  I disliked him as Pince Albert with his flat acting and was not happy to see him pop up in season 2 as Kit. Just me?

• Love 1

I just started watching this and I'm trying to figure my way around. I haven't read the books, I got into it via a Timeless/Discovery crossover fanfic. Matthew Goode has his strengths but I have to admit, it doesn't hold up to my imagination with Goran Visnjic in the role.

• Love 1

Just started watching Season 2. It’s been a long gap for me, but I still find the chemistry between Matthew and Diana lacking a bit. Maybe it’ll grow. I am really loving Goody Allsop (and her fabulous bone structure).

Matthew seems to have two expressions—feral concern and feral rage. 

If anything, it has driven me to re-read the books!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Nice episode last night, looking forward to more.

I enjoyed it too.  I finally watched it last night.  I loved the wedding and the "glow" and the turn-around in Matthew's relationship with his father...and the note in the book was neat, too.

This may have been my favorite episode so far.

My only confusion (perhaps because I haven't read the books) is - did they "do it" or not?  They kept saying they hadn't actually mated, so are they now?  Is she going to get pregnant or did they somehow take precautions? 

And is the actress pregnant IRL or is it the costuming making her appear that way?  I'm pretty sure she is, but I haven't gone looking for confirmation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Once again, last night's episode was awesome. I enjoy when they travel to different locations and the scenery was beautiful.  When they were stuck in London earlier in the season, seemed like the storyline was getting bogged down, now the game is on again, carry on!

• Love 1

Anybody still watching this? I bought in on Prime, and they dropped the last two episodes, so I assume those were shown on TV as well.  I quite liked it for the most part, but I wasn't wild about the ending. I wish they had gone ahead and made the jump to the future at the end just for the bookend of that.

I really want to know the identity of the vampire that is terrorizing people.  Anybody have any non-spoilery guesses?  

And will we see the boy Jack again somehow. That seems like a place to pull from for the future.

I still enjoy this show.  It's weird (that kiss business was just cringe-worthy) but overall it really appeals to me.

• Love 1

I'm still watching, I just decided to wait until the episodes aired in the States to continue commenting.

Is it just me or did Cora seem more Phoenix/bird like than Firedrake/dragon like?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, CAM said:

I'm still watching, I just decided to wait until the episodes aired in the States to continue commenting.

Is it just me or did Cora seem more Phoenix/bird like than Firedrake/dragon like?

I was thinking more dragon, but I see the bird thing, too.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:27 AM, SusanwatchingTV said:

It's weird (that kiss business was just cringe-worthy) but overall it really appeals to me.

Yeah, I also felt that the heart vein kiss was awkwardly done and placed with in the show. I think if they couldn't have the kiss while they were in Bohemia, then it might have worked better if they had it happen when they were still at Sept-Tours, after the wedding.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2021 at 10:27 AM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I really want to know the identity of the vampire that is terrorizing people.  Anybody have any non-spoilery guesses?  

i read the third book so i know who it is but i can play this game since i had few guesses before i read it. not gonna tell you if i was right or wrong. just the way my thoughts were back then :)

i though it might be "displaced Matthew". The 21st century Matthew is in Elizabethan London, and the Matthew from those times got swapped in. he's all confused, disoriented and the blood rage took him over.

I was pretty satisfied with that theory so i didn't think on many more. But i had few more just in case lol 

For a second i though it was Hubbard. some kind of vendetta, centuries old grudge... why now? idk. it was a thought without much to back it up

then i though it might be another former lover of Matthew egged on by Gerbert.

Or maybe Marcus thought he killed his friend when saving him after a car accident, but  it just "took longer". and now he is a new vampire, all confused, and maybe with a blood rage.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, SmittenKitten said:

Am I the only one kind of squicked out that vampires keep bringing up the fact that they can tell whether Matthew and Diana have mated or not? 

You’re not the only one. It’s just gross and weird, imho.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, Quickbeam said:

I just started watching this, season 1. I read the books, this is better. Matthew Goode is acting the crap out of this. The woman playing Diana just isn’t up to his level, in fact the rest of the cast seems to be propping her up. But I’ll keep watching, just for Goode. 

I’ve loved him forever, so he’s really the only reason I started watching.  I agree that she’s not nearly as good, but it’s working for me overall so far.

I just started reading the books. I’m excited to see the differences between the books and the show.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, SusanwatchingTV said:
On 4/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, Quickbeam said:

I’ve loved him forever, so he’s really the only reason I started watching.  I agree that she’s not nearly as good, but it’s working for me overall so far.

Years ago, I watched "Chasing Liberty" way more times than an adult woman should, so I get you! Goode as a sexy vampire is a no-brainer.

Regarding Teresa Palmer, I thought she was very flat in the first season, but found her much better in season 2. Either she's improving or the period setting just worked for her. Her expressions are excellent so I tend to think she suffers from the "worse acting due to accent," which also apparently plagues the actress who plays Brianna on Outlander (although she has improved too). 

I am an AMC watcher so I just finished the show recently. I found the ending way too abrupt, but maybe due to Covid and scheduling, they would have had a hard time integrating Goode and Palmer with the main cast and present day setting. Just a thought. I was looking forward to seeing them reunite with everyone at Sept-Tours too.

• Love 2
On 8/31/2021 at 3:26 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Years ago, I watched "Chasing Liberty" way more times than an adult woman should, so I get you! Goode as a sexy vampire is a no-brainer.

Have you seen Stoker? It was so weird and uncomfortable, but I THINK.... in a good way? lol

On 7/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, HouseofBeck said:

Matthew seems to have two expressions—feral concern and feral rage. 

I mean....this is hilarious and accurate.

I binged the 2nd season during a free SundanceNow trial.  The fashion was the most interesting thing about the 1590s.  It took them FOREVER to time spin or whatever the hell back to the present in the last episode. I giggled a lot over Matthew's blood rage.  The Book of Life seems pointless for all of the focus on it. 

I thought the modern day stuff was much more interesting.  

I particularly appreciated the direct, angst-free relationship and actual chemistry between Marcus and Phoebe.  They meet, they like each other, he tells her the truth, she reasonably thinks he's unhinged, he gives her space and then tries again by providing evidence, she investigates, goes back to him, they reconcile, she's committed, he's committed.  I know this is based on books, but if I had a wish list and there had to be a lynchpin couple, Marcus and Phoebe are infinitely preferable.   

Again, great production values, with so much potential for a good story.  I was sad about Emily's death because I liked the aunts, but they also had very little to do beyond Emily's repetitive "higher magic" spell that meant little beyond her hiding the page.     

• Love 2

I hate to disagree with you, but I feel exactly the opposite about Marcus and Phoebe.  Their relationship just didn't work for me at all (on the show and in the book, too, probably because I kept picturing them from the show and particularly the actor playing Marcus is just not hitting the mark for me), but we're all different.  One thing I've definitely learned over the years reading forums is that what one person sees as chemistry, another won't.  

I've been reading, and REALLY enjoying the books.  I think the books explain the Book of Life and Blood Rage issues a lot better than the show has been able to do so far. 

I'm probably 3/4 of the way through the third book now.  It's a lot darker in tone than the others. I'm a little worried about seeing some of it on TV.  It's not really quite what I expected.

The fourth book is supposed to be all about Marcus and his backstory and more about his relationship with Phoebe, so I really hope they grow on me. In the book they just move from zero to engaged at light speed without any angst or anything.  I thought Matthew and Diana's relationship was fast, but I could see it build. Marcus and Phoebe got none of that, so it's just not enough for me yet.

• Love 3

Well, I finished reading the four books last week, and have been working on "The World of All Souls" for a couple of days.   (It's fabulous, btw, and highly recommended if you want to know what the author was thinking about and the resources she used.)

I really LOVED the first book, and I can say that I feel like the show captured it really well considering all that went on.

I enjoyed the second book, but it felt like it was a little too complicated.  I can totally see why the TV show simplified it a great deal. I think they did a really good job of making it a lot easier to follow and less convoluted.

The third book worries me a little. It was a lot darker in tone and much more violent.  If they actually try to follow the book for the TV show it's going to need a MA rating and some trigger warnings.  

The fourth book was pretty good. I still don't care for Phoebe, but I do know and like Marcus a lot more.  It's funny, though, that in the book they were separated for 90% of the story, so it didn't help me see how they went together (other than pure physical attraction).  I enjoyed the historical aspects of it, though, and would like to see that in the TV show.

There are a lot of other characters and continuing storylines that the author can explore in the future, so I wonder if the show will try to continue with those, or end it after the third season. It'll be interesting to see.

44 minutes ago, CAM said:

It looks great, but... it also looks like they changed a LOT about the way things went in the books.  I can see why, though.  The books went in a different direction than what seemed probable from the first book, so this may be a case where the tv version makes more sense in many ways than the book.

I can't wait to see it!

Just popping in to say THANK YOU to the participants of this board for letting me know that there WILL be a 3rd season.  I just finished binge-watching season 2 (which had been saved on my DVR for months) and when I got to that final episode, with it's multiple cliff-hanger endings, I was SO disappointed.  I'm relieved to learn I just have to wait a couple of months to see the story continue.

But this board also says good things about the book (and frankly I found the TV show frequently confusing) so . . . there may be a binge-read in my future.

• Love 2

New to the TV series & this board, but a fan of the first 3 books for years! LOVED the 1st book, struggled through the first half of the 2nd book - but enjoyed second half - but the 3rd book was my favorite! Starting to re-read them as I watch season 2. There are all kinds of details in the books that aren't on TV, but make the show easier to understand. I do prefer the books, but think they have done a good job bringing it 'to life'. I do like Matthew Goode, but he wouldn't be in my top choices for 'Vampire Matthew'.  Really like Theresa Palmer as Diana & think she does a good job. Conversely, (as an Outlander book fan) LOVE Sam Heughan as Jamie & just OK with Caitríona Balfe as Claire. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, CAM said:

Sadly yes season 3 will be the last one.

We can always hope there will be another book about Diana & Matthew... and their family!

On 9/20/2021 at 12:24 PM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I hate to disagree with you, but I feel exactly the opposite about Marcus and Phoebe.  Their relationship just didn't work for me at all (on the show and in the book, too, probably because I kept picturing them from the show and particularly the actor playing Marcus is just not hitting the mark for me), but we're all different.  One thing I've definitely learned over the years reading forums is that what one person sees as chemistry, another won't.  

I've been reading, and REALLY enjoying the books.  I think the books explain the Book of Life and Blood Rage issues a lot better than the show has been able to do so far. 

I'm probably 3/4 of the way through the third book now.  It's a lot darker in tone than the others. I'm a little worried about seeing some of it on TV.  It's not really quite what I expected.

The fourth book is supposed to be all about Marcus and his backstory and more about his relationship with Phoebe, so I really hope they grow on me. In the book they just move from zero to engaged at light speed without any angst or anything.  I thought Matthew and Diana's relationship was fast, but I could see it build. Marcus and Phoebe got none of that, so it's just not enough for me yet.

In my opinion, the 4th book was really, really boring - found it nearly impossible to connect w/Marcus and Phoebe. The only parts I liked were catching up with Diana and Matthew's family.

• Love 1

Hi yall, I have a question. Ive read and loved the first 3 books, dropped the fourth (the Phoebe storyline was incredibly boring and made up the first several chapters). Im watching season 2 now and like I said, I have a question. Marcus met Phoebe literally days ago why is he sharing his every secret? Im a vampire! Im the leader of the knights of lazarus! Why? 

• Love 3

I guess you could say I am late to the series, I stumbled across the first season around this time last year and was hooked. Loved the intrigue, even though I got confused with what daemons actually were or what The Book of Life is really about. But there were heaps of characters I got invested in, I would say i finished the season in a fortnight (was binging multiple shows at the time) and then Season 2 came along and WOW! 

Talk about applying the breaks to the momentum. I found the Elizabethan London timeline incredibly boring and plodding. I just didn't care about Diana's training to become the amazing witch of romance fantasy tropes. I hated how she kept complaining about the way women were treated (did the show forget she her profession is being a historian so this shouldn't be new to her), I hated how she kept doing things that could alter history (again, surely basic time travel knowledge and being an historian would make you realise you can't change things)

It took me about 10 months to finish Season 2, and then I only finished it because I was asked by a friend if I had because I had totally forgotten I had stopped without about 5 episodes to fo. But man in was a chore - turned me off wanting to read the books. I got tired of Diana's whinging, I got tired of Matthew yelling when all he had to do was explain before he did something. I got bored of the lack of chemistry between the two leads but being told it was an undeniable love between them. The only parts that held my interest were all the scenes set in modern times and there just weren't enough of them.

But the season did end with enough cliffhangers to make me want to at least see the start of Season 3. And I am glad I did. After the first episode this show is back to Season 1 greatness - and maybe even better. I do think this shows strength is minimising screen time of Matthew and Diana by themselves. The supporting characters are much more exciting to watch and they seem to advance the plot better than Diana and Matthew. I kinda wish they just skipped Season 2 and explained what needed to explain like the exposition dumps they did in this episode with Benjamin and Hugh.

I am keen to see Episode 2 but will wait until my friend watches it. And mad I hope Peter Know gets his comeuppance as well as Gerbert.

• Love 1

I managed to watch all of season 3 and I was happy with it...I do wish episode 7 was like 30 minutes longer. 

The pacing and flow was so much better that season 2 and the adaptations that were made worked for the most part.

• Love 1

I liked the 3rd book the most out of trilogy. The science, the darkness, family and intrigue how everything came together. Fist episode was good. Though…. Uhm… are we just gonna ignore that Baldwin went ahead and got a whole new body for himself? Lol or it was one hell of a diet 😂 

I am sad they skipped the rest of the family coming to France and bickering about whether or not to accept Diana…

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, vavera4ka said:

Though…. Uhm… are we just gonna ignore that Baldwin went ahead and got a whole new body for himself? Lol or it was one hell of a diet 😂

Lol...I had heard about the Baldmin recast a while back, but after watching season 3, I almost wish they had done the recast in season 2.

Yeah, I also missed seeing Verin, she was an interesting character in book 3.

• Love 1
On 1/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, vavera4ka said:

Fist episode was good. Though…. Uhm… are we just gonna ignore that Baldwin went ahead and got a whole new body for himself? Lol or it was one hell of a diet

The shallow part of me is happy the original actor had scheduling issues due to production being delayed due to the pandemic.