Type keyword(s) to search

A Discovery Of Witches - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm surprised the relationship between Matthew and Diana is developing so quickly, but with only 8 episodes, I guess they had to push them together.

I haven't read the books, but I hope the story picks up and the characters get more interesting because I'm finding the show just ok so far.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm up to episode 3 and I'm thinking that Alex Kingston is woefully underused as Diana aunt/guardian/whatever. Oxford looks pretty. Matthew's house was gorgeous, So far it's nice background tv. 

• Love 4

Weird coincidence for me; I'd been recommended the books and started reading them a few weeks ago and then suddenly find out a show was premiering. The same thing happened to me with Outlander. 

Enjoying it so far. I'm not deep enough into the books to have a solid grasp on what to expect. I really like the dude playing Matthew. 

• Love 3

I picked this show up mainly because I know a number of the places where it was filmed and wanted to location-spot, I knew nothing whatsoever about what to expect of the show, I've never read the books. I'm finding it intriguing, though, more than enough to keep watching - I'm not overly keen on vampire stories, so this will never make it onto my major fandoms list, but I'm enjoying the story and characters so far.

I just finished episode five. I find that I am liking it more and more, the further in we go. I had only read the first book, so I had a rough sense of what is to come. They have taken out some not so overly interesting subplots (that helped to develop Diana and Matthews' relationship) but I think that is probably a good thing. Much faster pace. Absolutely in love with the locations. I very much like the sense of place that you get with shows filmed anywhere in the U.K.

It is developing a good sense of the menace facing the couple. Special effects are subtle but it works. I hope it's such a success that they come out with another season. Now that Andrew Lincoln is free from The Walking Dead, it would be great to see him appear here!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

I just finished episode five.

Episode five? Only four have aired so far. Typo...or are you a time traveller from the future come to tell us what to expect later this week?

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Llywela said:

Episode five? Only four have aired so far. Typo...or are you a time traveller from the future come to tell us what to expect later this week?

I just saw it yesterday (streaming) in Canada. I also caught The Walking Dead season nine opener - maybe I have a fast browser! Anyway, it is very good. The castle is absolutely beautiful and at this point, I am enthralled with how they present magic so simply yet so pleasing to the eye. So much better than the book! (And I usually find the opposite)

I find the premise interesting; a secret society of demons, witches, and vampires. It's an unusual mix so I'm looking forward to how they utilize each group. I'm also interested in the genetics angle.

I find the idea of an all-knowing ancient male stalking and controlling a much younger female to be unnerving and out of touch with everything that's going on in society today. However, Matthew Goode is so charismatic that I don't end up hating the character.

I hope Diana ends up making her own decisions and starts fighting back against Matthew's orders or I may have to jump ship.

I will say the dialogue is juvenile and borderline atrocious at times. For example after finding out that Matthew's mother has slaughtered covens and hundreds of witches, his response is "Her bark is worse than her bite." *eyeroll* yeah, okay. Sure.

The good thing about British shows are there aren't alot of filler episodes so each episode is about the overarching story. I'll find out pretty quickly whether or not I like the direction of the show so that's a positive.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I find the idea of an all-knowing ancient male stalking and controlling a much younger female to be unnerving and out of touch with everything that's going on in society today. However, Matthew Goode is so charismatic that I don't end up hating the character.

I hope Diana ends up making her own decisions and starts fighting back against Matthew's orders or I may have to jump ship.

That's exactly what I felt about the character in the book so I think you're right, it's Matthew Goode that makes the difference. He doesn't come across as a stalker, even though pretty much everyone else in the show says that's what he is doing. Matthew suggests that there is something else there thru body language alone. This is definitely Diana's story though so I don't think you need worry that she is like a character out of a Gothic romance. She stands up to his mother, she doesn't listen to Matthew and her wildly strong power and gradual control of it is earning her the respect of the vampires, witches and demons that initially thought she could just be manipulated or strongarmed into giving them the Book.

• Love 6

Does anyone know when this will be shown in the US?  Ironically, I started the new book in the series (TIMES CONVERT) this afternoon at lunch, and when I came to PTV just now I noticed the addition of this series forum because it was at the top of the page. 

On 10/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

That's exactly what I felt about the character in the book so I think you're right, it's Matthew Goode that makes the difference. He doesn't come across as a stalker, even though pretty much everyone else in the show says that's what he is doing. Matthew suggests that there is something else there thru body language alone. This is definitely Diana's story though so I don't think you need worry that she is like a character out of a Gothic romance. She stands up to his mother, she doesn't listen to Matthew and her wildly strong power and gradual control of it is earning her the respect of the vampires, witches and demons that initially thought she could just be manipulated or strongarmed into giving them the Book.

I think that was part of my problem: I don’t know what they’ve covered in the series, but it felt like a bit more sophisticated twilight. Which annoyed me. 

• Love 5

Idk, Matthew's character in the book intrigued me. I just read book 1 earlier this year. He is the kind of vampire I think I'd be lol 

I always roll eyes at how vampires are portrayed to be partying and killing for years. Basically sex, drugs and rock and roll...

This take on learning, participating in historical events, hanging with the brightest minds of particular time... and drinking and collecting wine... yup, if I'm turned that's my plan for the next millennium. 

Diana did annoy me towards the end of the book a bit though 

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 7
On 10/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, PrePreBabylonia said:

This is definitely Diana's story ...

I'm enjoying this so far but Diana is the weak link for me. The actress looks and seems too young to be a renowned/respected professor or researcher.

(Okay, I looked it up. She's 32 which is older than I thought but she still comes off as a bit unformed and milquetoast-y in this role. She's also Australian, which ... just let her be Australian.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Sometimes her line reads come off a little flat for me but I'm laying that off on acting in a different accent than is her natural one. Her American accent is great but I'm sure it makes the acting harder. Her silent facial reactions are amazing, though. 

• Love 2
On 10/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, vavera4ka said:

I always roll eyes at how vampires are portrayed to be partying and killing for years. Basically sex, drugs and rock and roll...

Matthew and Diana end up discussing this particular stereotype in one of the books.  I can't recall which one it is--perhaps the third one--but Matthew is horrified.  

I'm enjoying the show, and am trying to keep it separate from the books in my head.  I've read all of the novels, including Time's Convert, and hopefully this will bring more readers to the series.  The locations are gorgeous, and I really love the senses of place that we get.  I miss some of the subplots, though I understand why they had to be cut.  I'm looking forward to finally getting to Madison, as I love Alex Kingston, and so far, I think she and  Valarie Pettiford are closest to my imaginings of the characters they play.  Malin Buska is fantastically creepy/"plotty" as Satu, and I love Sorcha Cusack on Father Brown, so when I saw that she was going to play Marthe, I was excited.  Lindsay Duncan is great, too, so I'll forgive the fact that Ysabeau is supposed to look younger than Matthew because of the age at which she was reborn.  (Though, wow, it seems like the characters don't all use the same pronunciation of her name?)  And yeah, some of Theresa Palmer's lines sound "off" to me, but I also chucked that up to the fact that she's speaking with a different accent (and yes, doing a great job).  Speaking of accents, I'm so used to hearing AK use her own on Doctor Who, so it's so odd (but neat!) to hear her speak with an American accent.      

• Love 1

I have to say though. that the casting hit the nail on the head with Matthew for me. That's about how I imagined him. Maybe slightly longer and sharper features. Diana for some reason was different. Idk if I got it wrong and just forgot, but I didn't see here as a blonde at all. And I imagined her a bit smaller framed. 

Domenico for me was Rufus Sewell in Dangerous Beauty. So I guess Zoroastr from Davinci Demons will do lol

What I got COMPLETELY wrong was the inside of the castle. I saw upholsteries, tall book cases, rich desk, velvet everywhere... not this Spartan medieval set up... Especially the office. Sitting room is a bit closer to what I imagined...

I finished the last episode, and as non book reader, I know nothing about path for characters, but "love story" seems to develop little to fast. I LOVE Matthew Goode, but I started this show, almost immediately as I finished marathoning his other show  (Ordeal by Innocence ) where he is kinda "dick" character, I needed time to like him LOL but excellence actor!

What's deal with Deamons? Are they prominent in the books? Or is this more like witches and vampires story?

btw I kinda like that TV era of "witches&vampires" are coming back. 

Edited by Ophanim
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, Turtle Wexler said:

Speaking of accents, I'm so used to hearing AK use her own on Doctor Who, so it's so odd (but neat!) to hear her speak with an American accent.      

I got used to this when she was guesting frequently on Arrow but I totally feel you, here.  Her American accent is pitch fucking perfect but damned if it didn't take some getting used to.

It's funny... Romance is definitely not my primary genre of interest in fiction.  There's a lot of romance I enjoy but I'm very picky if that's the main genre for a story.  If it's an element in a scifi story (or whatever) I'm all good usually but "supernatural romance", "romantic comedy", etc...I get real particular.  But when a romance hits me just right and I get into it, it hits me hard.  I have rewatched these first 5 episodes at least a half dozen times and the scenes pertaining to the romance itself even more than that.  And I keep fiending for the next episode to hurry up and drop already.  They got my number hard core.

• Love 2
On 10/17/2018 at 4:21 AM, Ophanim said:

I finished marathoning his other show  (Ordeal by Innocence ) where he is kinda "dick" character, I needed time to like him LOL but excellence actor!

I'm working my way through his catalog also, and if you haven't already watched a movie called Stoker, I highly recommend it. Fair warning, it's extremely graphic (sexually and violently) so if that's not your cup of tea, I completely understand.

Back to this episode, I'm in agreement with everyone above about the "love at first sight aspect", but I've always rolled my eyes at that even when reading Romeo and Juliet in high school. I'm just not a terribly sentimental person. Although, I'm able to ignore that part of the story line now that they've moved into the action part of Diana's arc.

I really thought this episode did a good job with pacing between action, suspense, and tension compared to the others. They gave Satu some depth of character which was refreshing (wanting to teach Diana to manifest her powers, releasing the enthralled witch, etc.) I hope they explain how a demon can be the child of two witches and also give birth to a witch baby with two demon parents. I'm guessing that will tie into to the genealogy side story somehow. 

The beginning of this show was a slow burn (which is more typical with British shows than American shows), but it's starting to pick up the pace. With two episodes left, it doesn't seem like they'll be able to tie up much, but I'm looking forward to see how they finish the season.

• Love 1

@Catfi9ht, thanks for recommendation. I didn't know Wentworth Miller is also writer. I will check this title, I love Nicole Kidman. 

Onto the episode 6 - fast episode. I hated to see Diana in torture scenes. I kinda want for Diana to show off her powers like NOW, I am curious what are her possibilities in witchcraft. I can't believe there is only two episode till the end of season - I feel like I they didn't even to start to unravel anything, and contrary, they just build new mysteries. Satu is starting to look like multidimensional character and not anymore as puppet of Knox. I think Diana will be Dark One in that old Witch prophecy. Ugh, I hate Gerbert. That is sign of good villain! 

Sidenote:

I love Alex Kingston. Last time I saw her was in Arrow where she was so underused. And I barely recognize Louise Brealey (Gillian), I LOVED her in Sherlock. AH, Molly.

• Love 3
On 2018-10-21 at 2:35 PM, Ophanim said:

I love Alex Kingston. Last time I saw her was in Arrow where she was so underused. And I barely recognize Louise Brealey (Gillian), I LOVED her in Sherlock. AH, Molly.

I've never liked Alex Kingston, didn't like her in ER, Arrow and countless other shows. But....I like her here! Finally. I am not quite sure why.

I didn't recognize Louise Brealey at all. I also loved her in Sherlock - and can't stand her weasely little character here. Mark of a good actor.

This has been a great show to watch. I am enjoying it more and more.

The acting in the torture scenes was soooooo good. Shades of Ben Browder as farscape's Crichton in the aurora chair. 

Also working my way through Matthew Goode stuff and holy crap that guy just gets prettier with age. 

• Love 2
On 2018-10-23 at 3:03 PM, millahnna said:

The acting in the torture scenes was soooooo good. Shades of Ben Browder as farscape's Crichton in the aurora chair. 

Also working my way through Matthew Goode stuff and holy crap that guy just gets prettier with age. 

You can't get any better than Crichton in the Aurora Chair. High praise indeed! Was absolutely obsessed with Farscape back in the day. Mostly due to Browder - and Wayne Pygram. (Scorpius). One of the most interesting and entertaining relationships I've ever observed.

Matthew Goode is not just pretty - he's interesting. Ashton Kucher is pretty - and would bore me in record time. Matthew is hot for infinity.

Edited by PrePreBabylonia
Missing mah "h"
  • Love 3

Some clunky dialogue in episode 7 (even Matthew goode came off awkward in the scene where they realized he was part of the spell) but I still liked it overall. I'm looking forward to the finale and very much hope the show is given a second season. 

When Diana landed from her flight and pins Matthew to the ground, Goode let out this little "oh" that was just so perfectly prom and English. I crack up every time I rewatch the scene. 

I liked the song they used in the sex scene. Also Diana's lingerie set. 

Well, that was disappointing finale. Little slow and predictable. Diana is way to passive as character. I am usually all for romance in my shows, but this one just isn't working for me. I want Diana away from Mathew, so she can have some character growth, not connected to him. 

I need more information about season 2 for me to continue watching.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

My main gripe with the finale was that last glance to imply Matthew maybe let go or got lost in the time walk or something. It just seemed unnecessary and cheesy. The cliffhanger was established well enough with everything before that moment. 

It kinda felt like everyone getting together to help Diana needed another episode to breathe a bit. 

But on the whole I was entertained and I'll be back for the 2nd and 3rd series. 

I know it's a "no book talk" thread, but I think it refers to spoilery parts of book

I only read book 1, so I don't want to get spoiled myself by going to the book thread. I feel like the cliff hanger was true to the book -  the implication that they got separated.

I do agree with @millahnna the whole thing at and around the house was a bit jumbled. It went on for much longer in the book, and frankly was my fav part of the book.

I do remember being hesitant to jump into book 2 because such things as separation in an unknown world. land, or time give me reader's anxiety lol but I liked book 1 a lot. This show made me remember that and basically after episode 1 or 2 I went ahead and added book 2 to my 2019 TBR. I didn't have it in my library yet though

Well, Halloween sale on Audible had 2nd book for $6. Now I'm ready for 2019 LOL

• Love 1

Hmm. I watched this show primarily because parts of it were filmed in places I know and I wanted to location spot, and then I was intrigued enough to want to see the rest of the story. I enjoyed watching the season, but also thought it was clear that a lot of detail had failed to make the transition from book to screen - the demons especially confused me, because there was just nothing to explain what makes them demons, so to speak. With vampires and witches we were shown or told about at least some of the traits peculiar to those two species - longevity & blood-sucking, magic powers, etc - but with the demons...they just looked and acted like people. We weren't shown any particular abilities or traits that make them stand out as different from regular people - and we also weren't told about any such thing either. We were just told 'these people are demons, roll with it' and it was left at that. And then there was a big deal made about how Sophie was a demon born to witches and that should never happen - but there was still no explanation of what it is about Sophie that makes her a demon. She just looks like a person. She acts like a person. So what makes her a demon? How did her parents know she was a demon and how did they prevent anyone else from finding out all her life? I hope the books explain the nature of demons in more detail, because the show was woeful on that score, and from what I understood of the plot, it does seem to matter.

• Love 9
On 11/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, Llywela said:

Hmm. I watched this show primarily because parts of it were filmed in places I know and I wanted to location spot, and then I was intrigued enough to want to see the rest of the story. I enjoyed watching the season, but also thought it was clear that a lot of detail had failed to make the transition from book to screen - the demons especially confused me, because there was just nothing to explain what makes them demons, so to speak. With vampires and witches we were shown or told about at least some of the traits peculiar to those two species - longevity & blood-sucking, magic powers, etc - but with the demons...they just looked and acted like people. We weren't shown any particular abilities or traits that make them stand out as different from regular people - and we also weren't told about any such thing either. We were just told 'these people are demons, roll with it' and it was left at that. And then there was a big deal made about how Sophie was a demon born to witches and that should never happen - but there was still no explanation of what it is about Sophie that makes her a demon. She just looks like a person. She acts like a person. So what makes her a demon? How did her parents know she was a demon and how did they prevent anyone else from finding out all her life? I hope the books explain the nature of demons in more detail, because the show was woeful on that score, and from what I understood of the plot, it does seem to matter.

I agree completely on the lack of demon exposition.

We do know that witches and vampires can sense each other so I made the same assumption about demons while watching the show.

However if that is true, Sophie could have never been seen with her parents and they could never tell other magical creatures they had a daughter.

I hate cliffhanger season finales without some type of resolution prior to the cliffhanger. I feel it gives the audience no payoff for continuing to watch the show.

This episode felt rushed to me and there needed to be more exposition.

I think I mainly liked the show because the cast had so much chemistry. While the topic interests me, the writing was pretty juvenile so I feel there was a lot of squandered potential.

Yeesh. Sorry for the rant.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Catfi9ht said:

I agree completely on the lack of demon exposition.

We do know that witches and vampires can sense each other so I made the same assumption about demons while watching the show.

However if that is true, Sophie could have never been seen with her parents and they could never tell other magical creatures they had a daughter.

In book 1 which they followed pretty closely, even if tossing few things out, demons received very little time as well.

Spoiler

Just highlighting that they are very talented in business and politics.

As for the second point (idk if it's a spoiler or if the book was followed in this case, I honestly didn't pay attention)

Spoiler

sensing a species was a one of the special powers Sophie possessed. I guess other members just were in the community a lot and knew of one another, or at least of prominent representatives of the species.  She didn't want anything to do with that part of her so she didn't know who is who... Sophie would feel cold if a vampire was looking at her, I think it was like a light kiss if it was a demon, don't remember what was her reaction to the witch...

On 10/12/2018 at 3:03 AM, Anela said:

I think that was part of my problem: I don’t know what they’ve covered in the series, but it felt like a bit more sophisticated twilight. Which annoyed me. 

Matthew Goode has been yummy for years, thus why I opted to watch the 1st episode.  Glad someone else mentioned Twilight, as I thought the same.  Teresa Palmer is a blonde Kristen Stewart in this, from the blank, mouth-breathing facial expressions, to the bags under her eyes.  I watched this on Sundance Now, which has made the 1st 2 episodes available until it officially premieres on Jan 17.  Diana got on my nerves quickly - why would you call your aunt for advice, and then get upset when she gives you advice? She seems like a teenager, and I'm not particularly interested in a coming-of-age story featuring a full on, albeit immature, adult. 

And the last scenes of the episode had me chuckling unintentionally.  Not even Goode could sell it.  It's beautifully shot.  I'll probably watch the 2nd episode, and see if it gets better. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 6

I think I've seen "Twilight as written by a professor with lots of book porn" which seems about right for me. I did enjoy the series and the 1st book but they aren't particularly deep, although they kinda pretend to be. I think Teresa Palmer is okay here. She doesn't really lift a lot of Diana's clunkier material in the way Goode does but I don't find her annoying in the way I might have done, so that's ok. I do wish we had more information on Daemons. They seem to have an interesting background, not allowed to communicate etc, 3rd class citizens and almost ignored by Vampires and Witches until they do something "wrong". I'd really like to know more about Sophie's backstory, though I guess it's tied into the book.

Alex Kingston usually annoys the hell out of me, even as River Song but I didn't get annoyed here. Also nice to see Sophia Myles pop up. 

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 5:12 PM, krankydoodle said:

I'm surprised the relationship between Matthew and Diana is developing so quickly, but with only 8 episodes, I guess they had to push them together.

I haven't read the books, but I hope the story picks up and the characters get more interesting because I'm finding the show just ok so far.

There is a reason for the fast romance, a logical one that they touch on in the series but is fleshed out and more sensible in the books.  By the way, IS there a book thread for this show, or just the one topic?

The books are outstanding, and each quite different than the previous books, I agree, season one was pretty dull on film, and missed so much nuance, and changed things that didn't need to be changed in order to condense the story.

I'm most frustrated by some of the casting, specifically Ysabeau, who should probably be about 23 years old at most, and stunning. 

The series, so far, is just OK for me.  Next season a lot of things change, and I'm not sure the series can meet those expectations.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:35 PM, Catfi9ht said:

I find the premise interesting; a secret society of demons, witches, and vampires. It's an unusual mix so I'm looking forward to how they utilize each group. I'm also interested in the genetics angle.

I will say the dialogue is juvenile and borderline atrocious at times. For example after finding out that Matthew's mother has slaughtered covens and hundreds of witches, his response is "Her bark is worse than her bite." *eyeroll* yeah, okay. Sure.

The good thing about British shows are there aren't alot of filler episodes so each episode is about the overarching story. I'll find out pretty quickly whether or not I like the direction of the show so that's a positive.

In the books, some of those things are explained, but many things take time to discover, and the journey to discovery is fascinating.  Do I think those adapting the books to screen are up to that task, without leaving out too much of the really important things, and most interesting things in the books? 

Not really, which is a shame.

About your Diana comment (mild book spoiler)

Spoiler

She is no damsel in distress by the mid/late parts of the book, quite the opposite!  I can't imagine them changing that.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:03 AM, Anela said:

The music crap was part of the Twilight feel to all of this, and they just left out some of the wrong things to leave out, while cramming in more things that don't really come to be until book 3.  It was odd.  

It's far more adult, more complicated, and edge of your seat in the books, which do not, at all, resemble Twilight.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:21 AM, Ophanim said:

I finished the last episode, and as non book reader, I know nothing about path for characters, but "love story" seems to develop little to fast. I LOVE Matthew Goode, but I started this show, almost immediately as I finished marathoning his other show  (Ordeal by Innocence ) where he is kinda "dick" character, I needed time to like him LOL but excellence actor!

What's deal with Deamons? Are they prominent in the books? Or is this more like witches and vampires story?

btw I kinda like that TV era of "witches&vampires" are coming back. 

Deamons are prominent in the books, and the show did at least comment that they, like witches and vampires are "dying out" or in the case of the deamons, more prone to insanity than genius now.  Basically, deamons are very gifted, with unique ways of approaching anything from music to science, they might be rock stars, or brilliant scientists, gifted artists or writers, or locked in insane asylums, or considered "slow"....depending.   Hamlich, one of the deamons shown for example, is a genius with money/numbers.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:15 AM, Catfi9ht said:

I'm working my way through his catalog also, and if you haven't already watched a movie called Stoker, I highly recommend it. Fair warning, it's extremely graphic (sexually and violently) so if that's not your cup of tea, I completely understand.

Back to this episode, I'm in agreement with everyone above about the "love at first sight aspect", but I've always rolled my eyes at that even when reading Romeo and Juliet in high school. I'm just not a terribly sentimental person. Although, I'm able to ignore that part of the story line now that they've moved into the action part of Diana's arc.

I really thought this episode did a good job with pacing between action, suspense, and tension compared to the others. They gave Satu some depth of character which was refreshing (wanting to teach Diana to manifest her powers, releasing the enthralled witch, etc.) I hope they explain how a demon can be the child of two witches and also give birth to a witch baby with two demon parents. I'm guessing that will tie into to the genealogy side story somehow. 

The beginning of this show was a slow burn (which is more typical with British shows than American shows), but it's starting to pick up the pace. With two episodes left, it doesn't seem like they'll be able to tie up much, but I'm looking forward to see how they finish the season.

The whole "love at first sight" thing does have a book explanation.  Fairly major spoiler, which I honestly think season one touched on follows:

Spoiler

Diana's parents, both very gifted witches, and more, to be revealed later, knew their daughter was in extreme danger, and also knew, from her mother's gift of seeing the future, that they would die soon.  They spellbound Diana, so her magic would not be discovered by people like Knox, and because they knew they would not be there to protect her.  Her mother knew about the vampire that would enter her life, so connected the freeing of Diana's power/gifts/witchiness to him.  When she meets Mathew, her previously extremely bound powers begin to free themselves, again because her mother knew Mathew would be able to help protect her, until she could master her powers.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:38 AM, Ophanim said:

Well, that was disappointing finale. Little slow and predictable. Diana is way to passive as character. I am usually all for romance in my shows, but this one just isn't working for me. I want Diana away from Mathew, so she can have some character growth, not connected to him. 

I need more information about season 2 for me to continue watching.  

Season two should be fantastic if the writers don't screw it all up.  The books are written by a history PhD after all, which is a huge reason, IMO, that they are so very good.  Season two/book two

Spoiler

take place in the late 1500's and span several countries.  Many famous people are intimately involved with their lives there.

Diana changes a great deal in the following books by the way, believable and compelling changes.

• Love 2

I read this first book back when it came out and I remember nothing specific about it except witch dating vampire, and her Aunt had a really cool magic house that was somewhere in Upstate NY. I heard they were making  series out of it but I didn't pay attention to what network, and now I see it was on Sundance Now and it had completed the 1st season run. So....instead of cleaning my closet last weekend I got a free week of Shudder network and binge-watched it. And this weekend, instead of cleaning my house I've got the 2nd ebook and am reading it, and I expect I'm not going to do any house cleaning next week either when I read ebook 3. And when Season Two comes out I'm going to have to pay for a few months of Sundance Now like I pay for Starz when Outlander  is new.

Now...back to the book.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

A Discovery of Witches is coming to AMC & BBC America on APRIL 7, 2019 at 9pm.

Oh good, I can rewatch it now that I've finished all three books, and hope that the next 2 seasons  eventually end up on networks I already have as well.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

A Discovery of Witches is coming to AMC & BBC America on APRIL 7, 2019 at 9pm.

Oh wow, I'm so happy. I really don't want to pay for any other services. I've read all the books and loved them. In fact, I read most of the second one twice because I forgot I had read it.😄

Wow. This is...not good. It feels like Twilight for grown-ups or a spooky Outlander with all the longing looks and heaving bosoms. It's kind of Mary Sueish with Diana being the most intriguing, most irresistible person/witch ever. I find Matthew Goode and Teresa Palmer completely without chemistry, too. Plus her line delivery is so flat and vapid that I don't buy her as an Oxford grad student let alone an Oxford professor.  And has been said before, the whole worldly older guy guides wide-eyed younger woman dynamic seems creepy and woefully out of touch right now.

Do demons do anything? I get vamps and witches...but did I miss something? Do demons have any actual powers?

But it has pretty people and locations and a great cast, so I'll hang in there. Something being "not good" doesn't necessarily mean it isn't enjoyable. 😉

• Love 4
On 3/30/2019 at 6:43 AM, bourbon said:

Do demons do anything? I get vamps and witches...but did I miss something? Do demons have any actual powers?

not sure if it was mentioned in the show so 

Spoiler

demons have super developed talents. Genius level.

(edited)

Glad I hung on til the very end of Episode 1.  Before that, the only thing that caught my attention? the Bodleian, and all those marvelous musty books.  Other than that...

This "blood" thing is already a bore; I feel like someone poured that whole Jedi midi-chlorian Phantom Menace baloney into a Buffy the Vampire Slayer sequel.

And here's the truth about Alex Kingston: when she's opposite the right person (Peter Capaldi, Eriq LaSalle), she can be formidable.  Who knows yet about this time, though I don't get the love for her accent.  Puhleeze! the squaring of those Surrey vowels = hard to miss.  She sounded more American on ER.

But the last five minutes had me.  I'll be back.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1

This just started on cable (i.e., nonstreaming) in the U.S. I semi-enjoyed the books (add me to the group who finds it Twilight for adults; the writing was better than the story itself, IMO) so I thought I'd check out the series.

Teresa Palmer is lovely but way too blank as Diana, especially when paired the charisma machine that is Matthew Goode (God He's Handsome). She also seems a bit too young, even though the show lampshaded that by saying she was the youngest tenured professor in Yale history. Maybe that will improve once the relationship starts between Diana and Matthew, but I kind of doubt it. (Also, as a former collegiate rower, it drove me nuts to see Diana rushing her slide. Slow down!)

It took too long to establish everything, IMO, but the location porn was amazing. Oxford is such a stunning university.

• Love 5

This is just started on cable, and having never read the books, I liked it. The effects are solid, I am interested in the story and the world, and Matthew Goode is always a win. The man could have chemistry with a stack of tissues. 

I only worry that Theresa Palmer might get overwhelmed by Goode and all his charm and intensity. She seems perfectly fine, and they have a spark together, but she is a bit of a blank slate as of now. I will give her some time to grow more into the role before I really judge though.

• Love 5

I thought I had watched this first episode but either the version I watched was different or I was really stoned because this had a lot of stuff I didn't remember so I'm glad I decided to watch again.😵

I can't wait for the next episode. I really like how this is an intriguing story rather than a gorefest.

• Love 2

I . . . tried to read the book.  But it was so hard to take it seriously, and it so obviously wanted to be taken seriously that it had a serious cringe factor for me.  It just seemed like pretentious wish-fulfillment Twilight for middle-aged women.  Shortly after they started

Spoiler

going to the special yoga for supernaturals, and even that was somehow breathily romantic,

I quit.  My eyes just kept rolling and rolling and rolling.  I like ridiculous fiction, but it should know it's ridiculous.  I still gave the TV show a try, because I do really enjoy creepy fantasy with a little romance thrown in, and sometimes the TV/movie translation is as or more enjoyable.

I've watched the first episode, now.  Settings are amazing and beautiful.  The vampire is interesting, and sufficiently entertaining and magnetic.  The reluctant witch lead seems childish and ranty.  Hoping very much the second episode is better, or I'll have to write this one off, too.

Edited by Mari
Deleted extra words.
  • Love 4