Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Friday Night Dinner

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I haven't really noticed the actress's native accent, to be honest, but I'm happy to fanwank that her mother was French (and married to Dr. K, but I digress...)

I noticed but fanwank just as you. I am good with it. 

• Love 1
On 10/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, Athena5217 said:

I think it is just the actress slipping because I only notice it sometimes.  I wish they’d just give her a French backstory. I’m fine with a character having a French accent as long as it makes sense for them to have one.

The actress had the same issue when she starred in USA Network’s Satisfaction.  It was very distracting.

I wanted to touch in something I hadn’t seen mentioned above regarding the Eddie/Delilah affair. Although in heteronormative society women are supposed to be the gate keepers of sexual activity, it’s still assumed women’s sexuality is driven more by emotions. When a married woman cheats, people are more likely to believe that she was driven to do so by emotional neglect etc rather than an “animalistic” desire for multiple partners or to “have her cake and eat it too”- where as men are assumed to be always be up for sex with any willing woman. So there’s often more “forgiveness” for the woman, especially if the man she’s cheating with isn’t richer or more successful than her husband (because the it must be love dontcha know!). 

Combine that with Jon being dead, Delilah having small children to raise alone, Eddie having a history of being a fuck up and I get why people are more mad at him than her (I don’t agree but I see it). 

• Love 6

My son has a friend who is American with an American Dad, but an English mother. The friend has a noticeable English accent even though he has lived his whole life in America. The accent is noticeably thicker when he is talking to females. He just smiles when you mention that to him.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wanted to touch in something I hadn’t seen mentioned above regarding the Eddie/Delilah affair. Although in heteronormative society women are supposed to be the gate keepers of sexual activity, it’s still assumed women’s sexuality is driven more by emotions. When a married woman cheats, people are more likely to believe that she was driven to do so by emotional neglect etc rather than an “animalistic” desire for multiple partners or to “have her cake and eat it too”- where as men are assumed to be always be up for sex with any willing woman. So there’s often more “forgiveness” for the woman, especially if the man she’s cheating with isn’t richer or more successful than her husband (because the it must be love dontcha know!). 

Combine that with Jon being dead, Delilah having small children to raise alone, Eddie having a history of being a fuck up and I get why people are more mad at him than her (I don’t agree but I see it). 

I agree with you to a certain point, but with men I think cheating happens a lot not just because they want more sex on top of their already-good marital sex, but because that need is not actually being met in the marriage. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is interesting and I hadn't thought of it this way.  However, when I think of it, I almost see it the other way.  I'm not saying you're wrong about how society sees these things (I am in complete agreement with you on that), but I think *in this case,* it is reversed.  Based on what we have seen, it seems to me like Eddie went into the affair on a more emotional level whereas Delilah's motivation may have been more, shall we say, strategic or self-serving.  I'd like to think that this show is aware enough to realize this and play on it (because that would actually be interesting), but I doubt it.

Here is another thing that is sort of icking me out about this affair.  Eddie is, for all intents and purposes, a child.  If you watch how he interacts with his friends and his wife, he always seems to be in the position of the kid--letting people sort of pick on him (Gary) or asking for permission (Katherine) or looking for approval (Rome and, I suspect, Jon).  Delilah is "the mom," and not just literally.  Jon seemed to have been the father figure of the group and Delilah, as his wife, would have been the mother figure.  Where do people meet?  At Delilah's house, even though it seems like where she lives is inconvenient for everyone except Eddie.  What do the "band of Dads" want?  To play the father figure to Delilah's mother figure.

So, with all this in mind, that whole relationship seems more and more emotionally inappropriate to me.   It's like they are playing out the Oedipus or Elektra complex (although neither of those really match up, but you know what I mean).  Again, it would actually be possible (and probably preferable) for the show to toy with this and know what it is doing, but I don't think that is actually what is happening in the writer's room.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Based on what we have seen, it seems to me like Eddie went into the affair on a more emotional level whereas Delilah's motivation may have been more, shall we say, strategic or self-serving.  I'd like to think that this show is aware enough to realize this and play on it (because that would actually be interesting), but I doubt it.

Here is another thing that is sort of icking me out about this affair.  Eddie is, for all intents and purposes, a child.  If you watch how he interacts with his friends and his wife, he always seems to be in the position of the kid--letting people sort of pick on him (Gary) or asking for permission (Katherine) or looking for approval (Rome and, I suspect, Jon).  Delilah is "the mom," and not just literally.  Jon seemed to have been the father figure of the group and Delilah, as his wife, would have been the mother figure.  Where do people meet?  At Delilah's house, even though it seems like where she lives is inconvenient for everyone except Eddie.  What do the "band of Dads" want?  To play the father figure to Delilah's mother figure.

I agree with you as well. Eddie seems to be far less mature than his friends (May be related to his addiction) AND I definitely think if anyone was getting “played” in the affair it was him. I’d bet dollars to donuts Delilah had no intention of ever leaving Jon, and was in the affair to stroke her own ego. I’m not saying it was her fault (Eddie was a grown man and she didn’t rape him) but Eddie was way more into her than she was into him. Which does play on the trope of the  married guy (in an affair where both parties are married) being the “cold one” and the woman falling in love. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree with you to a certain point, but with men I think cheating happens a lot not just because they want more sex on top of their already-good marital sex, but because that need is not actually being met in the marriage. 

Oh yes- you’re very right!

I’m not saying every man that cheats is the scum of the earth and his wife was a perfect person; I’m just talking about general trends and social perceptions. It’s assumed that women are more “noble” and less selfish than men, so even when they do something socially not acceptable (like cheat on their spouse) it’s assumed they had a “higher” (is that a word? More admirable?) reason than a man who did the same thing. Such an attitude hurts men IMO, women can be just as cold and calculating, men can be just as emotionally vulnerable, but given our social structure a woman has far more to lose by not following “rules” regarding sexual behavior  

I know humans and human relationships are incredibly complex. I think the entire affair can show us that if the writers are smart about it. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m not saying every man that cheats is the scum of the earth and his wife was a perfect person; I’m just talking about general trends and social perceptions. It’s assumed that women are more “noble” and less selfish than men, so even when they do something socially not acceptable (like cheat on their spouse) it’s assumed they had a “higher” (is that a word? More admirable?) reason than a man who did the same thing. Such an attitude hurts men IMO, women can be just as cold and calculating, men can be just as emotionally vulnerable, but given our social structure a woman has far more to lose by not following “rules” regarding sexual behavior  

I know humans and human relationships are incredibly complex. I think the entire affair can show us that if the writers are smart about it. 

Totally agree. Women are cut more slack because the perception is that their husbands were probably emotionally cold and distant. Whereas the men are looked down upon because everyone knows it's just about sex with them, right? 

It does seem as if Eddie was more emotionally invested. He is the one shown missing Delilah, reaching out to her, while she is pushing him away and thinking of Jon. I haven't seen much of her missing Eddie yet. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is it for me.  If this were a show dealing with complex human relationships, it would be ideal.  Maybe that is what DJ Nash is aiming for, but the "smarts" seems to be missing.  We are *4* episodes into this series and we're already dealing with continuity issues, unbelievable characters, ridiculous situations, etc.  I kind of feel like this show would be so much better if it were just in someone else's hands.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

She doesn't seem to miss Jon, either.

I think she does. The daughter (blanking on the name—I watch a lot of shows with teenaged daughters) mentioned that she wears a brave face but cries in the shower. And Delilah couldn’t stand looking at the pizza board or having people over for Friday night dinner. There likely is some guilt wrapped up in her emotions, but I do think Delilah misses Jon. It would be nice if we could see her talk about her grief with Regina, for example. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I think she does. The daughter (blanking on the name—I watch a lot of shows with teenaged daughters) mentioned that she wears a brave face but cries in the shower. And Delilah couldn’t stand looking at the pizza board or having people over for Friday night dinner. There likely is some guilt wrapped up in her emotions, but I do think Delilah misses Jon. It would be nice if we could see her talk about her grief with Regina, for example. 

Yeah, I've seen far more of her missing Jon (what you mentioned, also keeping his phone charged, logging onto his computer, etc) that of her missing Eddie.  In fact, I haven't seen a single thing to indicate that she's missing Eddie.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Yeah, I've seen far more of her missing Jon (what you mentioned, also keeping his phone charged, logging onto his computer, etc) that of her missing Eddie.  In fact, I haven't seen a single thing to indicate that she's missing Eddie.

My take has always been that Eddie was far more into their relationship than she was. As I recall, except for the flashback of her inviting him to (dinner..?) She has not responded positively to anything he says about them. Even his phone call about moving out was one sided.

It can be waved off as guilt, because we've only seen her since the suicide (I think), but I think she was never going to leave Jon for him. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

My take has always been that Eddie was far more into their relationship than she was. As I recall, except for the flashback of her inviting him to (dinner..?) She has not responded positively to anything he says about them. Even his phone call about moving out was one sided.

It can be waved off as guilt, because we've only seen her since the suicide (I think), but I think she was never going to leave Jon for him. 

She was never going to leave Jon because, if she was, she would have done it. 

Eddie was more than willing, she was the one who kept dangling the carrot in front of him.  And. honestly, it would have been far easier for her to leave Jon that it would have been for Eddie to leave Katherine.  Jon and Delilah had money and if she had left him, she would have access to funds to support herself.  He kids are also older and she has a career she could start up again.  Eddie would most likely get nothing financially by leaving Katherine and he would most likely lose his son.  As the primary caregiver to a younger child, Theo would pay the price in a way that Delilah's kids might not.  Also, guitar instruction doesn't pay enough to support him, much less him, his son, and his mistress.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

She was never going to leave Jon because, if she was, she would have done it. 

Eddie was more than willing, she was the one who kept dangling the carrot in front of him.  And. honestly, it would have been far easier for her to leave Jon that it would have been for Eddie to leave Katherine.  Jon and Delilah had money and if she had left him, she would have access to funds to support herself.  He kids are also older and she has a career she could start up again.  Eddie would most likely get nothing financially by leaving Katherine and he would most likely lose his son.  As the primary caregiver to a younger child, Theo would pay the price in a way that Delilah's kids might not.  Also, guitar instruction doesn't pay enough to support him, much less him, his son, and his mistress.  

As much as I like your first sentence, I think it is not so simple as that. Many people take a very long time to leave their spouses, even while having an affair. For all the reasons you point out in the next paragraph (less specific, but the same generally, figuring out money and kids, if they have them.) Took me years (no kids, no lover) to make the leap.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As much as I like your first sentence, I think it is not so simple as that. Many people take a very long time to leave their spouses, even while having an affair. For all the reasons you point out in the next paragraph (less specific, but the same generally, figuring out money and kids, if they have them.) Took me years (no kids, no lover) to make the leap.

Oh, I get that.  But I also don't feel that we've seen anything to indicate that Delilah was at all planning to leave Jon.  Looking at the affair, Eddie had a pretty clear, if unrealistic plan: He and Delilah would tell their spouses about their affair and then live happily ever after.  Delilah, as far as I can tell, was willing to just let things be fun while it lasted.  

I guess I could buy it was more complicated (and I agree, IRL it almost always is) if the show has shown us that things really were wrong in their marriage.  So far, the one bit of "evidence" we've been given told us that Jon and Delilah sometimes quarreled, that Jon was stressed, but they were also affectionate with each other.  It could be just a case of bad writing--Lord knows the show is guilty of that.  But, if they want this to work, they've got to get back in the realm of reality (at least close enough that it doesn't hurt to suspend disbelief) and up their writing game.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Eddie would most likely get nothing financially by leaving Katherine and he would most likely lose his son. 

He would get child support, and partial custody. He's not an absentee dad, he's a primary caregiver. So no reason Katherine would get sole custody. She doesn't seem to be the type to even try to do that.

But yes, he'd certainly have less money than while married.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, possibilities said:

He would get child support, and partial custody. He's not an absentee dad, he's a primary caregiver. So no reason Katherine would get sole custody. She doesn't seem to be the type to even try to do that.

But yes, he'd certainly have less money than while married.

They both would have less money.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Oh, I get that.  But I also don't feel that we've seen anything to indicate that Delilah was at all planning to leave Jon.  Looking at the affair, Eddie had a pretty clear, if unrealistic plan: He and Delilah would tell their spouses about their affair and then live happily ever after.  Delilah, as far as I can tell, was willing to just let things be fun while it lasted.  

I guess I could buy it was more complicated (and I agree, IRL it almost always is) if the show has shown us that things really were wrong in their marriage.  So far, the one bit of "evidence" we've been given told us that Jon and Delilah sometimes quarreled, that Jon was stressed, but they were also affectionate with each other.  It could be just a case of bad writing--Lord knows the show is guilty of that.  But, if they want this to work, they've got to get back in the realm of reality (at least close enough that it doesn't hurt to suspend disbelief) and up their writing game.

Aside from a few eye-rollers I don't have a problem with the writing. I don't expect them to tell us everything in short order. All will be revealed in due course. This is how they try to hook us, by giving us the backstory a little at a time. So far it's working on me, lol! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I totally agree that we haven't seen anything to indicate Delilah was planning to leave.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

Aside from a few eye-rollers I don't have a problem with the writing. I don't expect them to tell us everything in short order. All will be revealed in due course. This is how they try to hook us, by giving us the backstory a little at a time. So far it's working on me, lol! 

I should clarify--I actually thinking the writing as far as dialogue goes is quite strong in the show.  When I say "bad writing," I think I should say "bad story crafting."  How they are putting all the pieces of this story together leaves a lot to be desired.  Usually, the two go hand in had--a show is badly written AND badly crafted, or a show is well-written AND well-crafted.  This is a rare instance where it doesn't work that way.

The good news is, given the chance, I think this show could turn itself around.  We aren't so far gone on any storyline yet that it will sink the ship.  I'm just not sure there is time (or the awareness/willingness) to actually make the needed improvements.

• Love 1

I've caught up with this show and all I can say right now is that I'm still here for Gary, and for Rome and his wife. I could care less about Eddie or Delilah (not much, though).

I am glad that they're finally fleshing out Katherine better. Up until she found out about the affair, she seemed to be written very stereotypically, as if she was simply the cold, career-driven wife who didn't pay attention to her son or her family or her friends. Seeing her have some emotion and become more multi-faceted really helps the character. 

In the 1.5 thread, @mythoughtis wrote:

Yes- that is the scene I meant. Jon said he’d been drinking but he hadn’t.  I think we are going to eventually see that Jon wasn’t aa perfect as his friends seem to think. 

I just pulled up that scene and Jon never said or insinuated that his FIL had been drinking.  He got on his FIL about giving Eddie sangria because Eddie didn't drink, but nothing was ever said about the FIL drinking.  It had also already been established that Jon knew about his FIL's dementia.  Delilah's way of handling her father is to humor him and not draw attention to his memory issues (which I really can't blame her for, I'd probably do the same thing in her position) and Jon pointing out that his FIL had "forgotten" that Eddie was an alcoholic was embarrassing for him in Delilah's eyes.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

In the 1.5 thread, @mythoughtis wrote:

I just pulled up that scene and Jon never said or insinuated that his FIL had been drinking.  He got on his FIL about giving Eddie sangria because Eddie didn't drink, but nothing was ever said about the FIL drinking.  It had also already been established that Jon knew about his FIL's dementia.  Delilah's way of handling her father is to humor him and not draw attention to his memory issues (which I really can't blame her for, I'd probably do the same thing in her position) and Jon pointing out that his FIL had "forgotten" that Eddie was an alcoholic was embarrassing for him in Delilah's eyes.

Oh. Thank you for the correction. I must not have been paying close enough attention.   I still don’t like the way he spoke to her dad- possibly because the actor is one of my favorites.   

Also the humor and distraction method is the preferred way of dealing with a dementia patient.  Correcting them isn’t going to have good results as they progress because their brain wont won’t process it. 

Edited by mythoughtis
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

Oh. Thank you for the correction. I must not have been paying close enough attention.   I still don’t like the way he spoke to her dad- possibly because the actor is one of my favorites.   

Oh yeah, he was definitely short with the FIL and Delilah was right to call him on it (that is probably one of the few times I have ever said something nice about her!), but I didn't take it as a sign that Jon was uncaring, but that he was under a great deal of stress and trying his best to keep up a good facade.

Just now, HazelEyes4325 said:

Oh yeah, he was definitely short with the FIL and Delilah was right to call him on it (that is probably one of the few times I have ever said something nice about her!), but I didn't take it as a sign that Jon was uncaring, but that he was under a great deal of stress and trying his best to keep up a good facade.

That’s a possibility too. Maybe we will get some answers in episode 6 based upon previews.

9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

That’s a possibility too. Maybe we will get some answers in episode 6 based upon previews.

I feel the pizza night phone call and Jon being a little sharp about "everything he does is for family" will play out later, it was put there for a reason. He got in over his head I'm sure, not the first or last time someone has done that, and he justified it by doing it for others.  My neighbor did that with embezzling years ago. It must have stung even more for family to hear the transfer to blame to wife and kids as he was arrested. 

Delilah: Hey, you didn't have to embarrass my dad like that.
Jon: I was trying to keep him from giving a drink to my friend with a drinking problem.
Delilah: Oh, of course, answer the phone.
Jon: Hey, everything I do, I do for this family

3 hours ago, debraran said:

I feel the pizza night phone call and Jon being a little sharp about "everything he does is for family" will play out later, it was put there for a reason. He got in over his head I'm sure, not the first or last time someone has done that, and he justified it by doing it for others.  My neighbor did that with embezzling years ago. It must have stung even more for family to hear the transfer to blame to wife and kids as he was arrested.

Until you wrote this, I'd totally forgotten that I knew a girl in elementary school whose father killed himself because his work was being audited and he knew he'd be arrested for embezzling.  So, a real life story that fits with what might have been going on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Until you wrote this, I'd totally forgotten that I knew a girl in elementary school whose father killed himself because his work was being audited and he knew he'd be arrested for embezzling.  So, a real life story that fits with what might have been going on.

Very true to life sadly. Your schoolmate had a lot to process so young.

It’s also obvious that Jon knew about affair but no way would Jon kill himself over that . Someone put Eddies necklace in their end table. That would have made friendship impossible but I don’t feel the core of his pain

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, debraran said:

Delilah: Hey, you didn't have to embarrass my dad like that.
Jon: I was trying to keep him from giving a drink to my friend with a drinking problem.
Delilah: Oh, of course, answer the phone.
Jon: Hey, everything I do, I do for this family

On a completely different point...that scene, and specifically the bolded line, was what made me give up any hope for Szostak's acting.  I had to rewind the scene twice to even figure out what she said.  Then, once I figured it out, I realized that it is an incredibly easy line to deliver well, especially when interacting with a strong actor who is playing the scene quite well.  And, well, Szostak said it the same way as she would say, "Please pass the milk." After that, I completely gave up trying to blame, at least in part, her pathetic performance on the writing or directing.  It's all her...

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Very true to life sadly. Your schoolmate had a lot to process so young.

It’s also obvious that Jon knew about affair but no way would Jon kill himself over that . Someone put Eddies necklace in their end table. That would have made friendship impossible but I don’t feel the core of his pain

The children were told he had a heart attack. I have always wondered if they ever found out, and how it would impact them. Was that kind, or just setting them up for more pain and anger later?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The children were told he had a heart attack. I have always wondered if they ever found out, and how it would impact them. Was that kind, or just setting them up for more pain and anger later?

They were?

22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Not sure I understand the question.

I just meant that I didn't remember them being told that, and in the next episode, it becomes clear that the daughter, at least, is aware of how her father died.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I just meant that I didn't remember them being told that, and in the next episode, it becomes clear that the daughter, at least, is aware of how her father died.

I think maybe @clanstarling was referring to the example in her own life and not the show?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cardigirl said:

That makes sense. Especially since I didn't make it particularly clear that I was referring to my friends in elementary school who weren't told that their father committed suicide. I have wondered over the years if they ever found out, and how that impacted them

Thanks @HazelEyes4325, that's exactly what I meant, though as I said, I could have made it clearer.

Edited by Clanstarling
responding to @hazeleyes4325
On 10/29/2018 at 6:14 PM, mythoughtis said:

Also the humor and distraction method is the preferred way of dealing with a dementia patient.  Correcting them isn’t going to have good results as they progress because their brain wont won’t process it. 

As a Gerald Mcraney fan, going back to his Simon and Simon days, it was painful to watch him deliver this very believable performance as an older man suffering dementia.

image.png.704e537a9129694ac6c9378bf2117cba.png

"I remember my grandson's name!"  Was a heartbreaking line.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

As a Gerald Mcraney fan, going back to his Simon and Simon days, it was painful to watch him deliver this very believable performance as an older man suffering dementia.

image.png.704e537a9129694ac6c9378bf2117cba.png

"I remember my grandson's name!"  Was a heartbreaking line.

Agree, that was a very uncomfortable scene, as I imagine the situation would be in real life. A testament to Mr. McRaney's acting skills!

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, topanga said:

Speaking of Gary, meeeechiganman, he was wearing a Notre Dame t-shirt tonight—not Celtics, correct?. Still nothing Patriots, though. Wha-Whaa!

It was Celtics t-shirt.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, when it comes to acting, I try to not write an actor or actress off as bad because, more often than not, it's more a problem with writing or directing and the actor is getting all the blame.  That being said, I'm going to say it.  Stephanie Szostak is a bad actress.  I don't get any sense of her character and half her lines are nonsensical.  There, I said it.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Still don’t feel sorry for Delilah. And now I’m hearing the actress’s accent. I also can’t stand her whispery and teary way of talking.

100% agree with both of these!