Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Save The Date

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

having been in the same position (the working parent with an at-home spouse), you can manage that just fine working normal hours - provided you keep your expenses in line with your income. (just like in the olden days when the man was the only income provider).

For me the big difference is that my parents' generation were able to afford to buy a house and two cars with just one parent working and live comfortably. Nowadays, it's nearly impossible to buy a house on one person's income, especially if you live in/near a large city like Boston (when my friend, who had no student loan debt because he'd been on full academic scholarship while in college, lived in LA about twenty years ago, he was making six figures and when he tried to buy a place, he realized that all he could afford was a shitty condo in a terrible neighborhood or something that would require over an hour to commute to/from work each day). And let's be real - Katherine and Eddie's house is clearly large and in a nice neighborhood so it must cost a lot), let alone support two adults and a child. Eddie's guitar lessons can't be bringing in a ton of money which explains why Katherine is sitting in bed working before 7am so that she can get two billable hours before she even gets to the office. The real estate market is just ridiculous these days, particularly if you live in a major city. Many of the people I know in California couldn't afford to buy homes until they had a spouse AND they moved out of state (and now they spend a lot of time trying to figure out a way to move back to San Francisco/Los Angeles/San Diego because they hate the weather in Reno/Nebraska/Minneapolis).

That's definitely a fair point. We are older, but we were living in the heart of Silicon Valley (and left it not quite 20 years ago), so even then it was difficult to make a mortgage on a single income. Nothing like today, of course. We lived in a very modest house, in a good neighborhood (that right now is within walking distance of Apple's new "spaceship" or whatever they call it). I just looked it up, and houses in that neighborhood are going for 1.5 to 2 million - and they're just mid-century ranches with low square footage. Almost makes me wish we'd stayed. We bought ours for under 200,000 in the 80's. I don't know how anyone can afford to live there if they are not in tech. And even then...

My point (though I didn't make it clear) was more that, as you point out, Katharine and Eddie's house is huge and in a nice neighborhood. If they could afford that house, they deliberately made a choice to have that big of an expense. They could have bought a decent house in a good, but not necessarily upscale, neighborhood.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

See, to me that tells me she didn't love Jon. She’s no longer in love with him/loves him, feels neglected, so strikes out to have an affair to hurt Jon. That’s not love. It’s selfishness, because supposedly she was also friends with Katherine and she didn’t even think what this would do to her?

I will say that I did like Gary telling Maggie to come back when it was just fun, since she clearly is only interested in a superficial relationship. And he’s not interested in opening up and talking to her after her immature and jerky response to his simple inquiry about the panda.

I can see your point about Delilah, although I can also see the possibility that she did love Jon.  Neither scenario changes the fact that she chose to cheat on her husband (and, by extension, her family).  As we saw in the baseball scene in 1.2, it looks like she's the one who at least put things in motion that led the affair, even if she didn't directly instigate it.  I don't know, though, if she and Katherine were actually friends.  I think they were probably socially friendly, but I get the feeling that Katherine didn't have any actual friends in that group, except maybe Jon.

I also have to admit that I hate this thing that this show (as well as that, ahem, other show) does where they put someone on a pedestal because they are dead.  I get how it happens, but I think it is lazy storytelling.  I get that, for the premise to work, Jon has to be dead, but I would have liked a bit more about him in context.  I almost wish Jon had jumped at the end of the first episode rather than at the beginning so at least we would know a bit about what kind of person he was instead of funneling it all through everyone else's memories.  Oh, and flashbacks get old very quickly.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I can see your point about Delilah, although I can also see the possibility that she did love Jon.  Neither scenario changes the fact that she chose to cheat on her husband (and, by extension, her family).  As we saw in the baseball scene in 1.2, it looks like she's the one who at least put things in motion that led the affair, even if she didn't directly instigate it.  I don't know, though, if she and Katherine were actually friends.  I think they were probably socially friendly, but I get the feeling that Katherine didn't have any actual friends in that group, except maybe Jon.

I also have to admit that I hate this thing that this show (as well as that, ahem, other show) does where they put someone on a pedestal because they are dead.  I get how it happens, but I think it is lazy storytelling.  I get that, for the premise to work, Jon has to be dead, but I would have liked a bit more about him in context.  I almost wish Jon had jumped at the end of the first episode rather than at the beginning so at least we would know a bit about what kind of person he was instead of funneling it all through everyone else's memories.  Oh, and flashbacks get old very quickly.

Agree with everything except the last line; I'm enjoying the flashbacks and I really hope we get more. I think they are filling in a lot of blanks, and I want more of Ron Livingston's Jon. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Agree with everything except the last line; I'm enjoying the flashbacks and I really hope we get more. I think they are filling in a lot of blanks, and I want more of Ron Livingston's Jon. 

I like flashbacks in general, if they illuminate the main story and/or characters. I guess it's a matter of taste, since so many seem to hate them (across the forums).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I like flashbacks in general, if they illuminate the main story and/or characters. I guess it's a matter of taste, since so many seem to hate them (across the forums).

I think flashbacks can be effective, but not as the main mode of storytelling (I will admit that AMLT is more restrained than TIU with them).  What I've noticed happens when so much of the story relies on flashbacks is that the current story (the "main story") not only stalls out while we are inundated with flashbacks but that it loses any momentum it had because all the emphasis is on the past story.

To be fair, this show has been at least better about it so far.  But we're only in the 3rd episode, and this is the first time I've actually felt any kind of movement in the story (it's also the episode with the fewest flashbacks)...which makes me worry.

• Love 2

Flashbacks can seem like a retcon if they contradict everything the viewers have been lead to believe—which can be annoying. They haven't quite done that here, but it seems like they might be using flashbacks to fill in plotholes caused by not having the whole story ready for *ahem* prime time.

Lost also had "flash sideways," which, IIRC, were essentially alternate timelines/universes, but, like this show might have, turned out to be alt-scenarios in which no plane crashed/Jon didn't jump. Or were the flash sideways supposed to be afterlife?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Flashbacks can seem like a retcon if they contradict everything the viewers have been lead to believe—which can be annoying. They haven't quite done that here, but it seems like they might be using flashbacks to fill in plotholes caused by not having the whole story ready for *ahem* prime time.

Lost also had "flash sideways," which, IIRC, were essentially alternate timelines/universes, but, like this show might have, turned out to be alt-scenarios in which no plane crashed/Jon didn't jump. Or were the flash sideways supposed to be afterlife?

I was never really clear on that (the flash sideways). I liked all of those fine. I hated, on the other hand, the Paulo whoever story, and the Alison Janney origin of the smoke monster stories.

I can understand the annoyance, but for me personally , unless something has been shown explicitly, or stated explicitly by a reliable witness who experienced it, then I don't tend to call "retcon" - I'm more, ohh, nice, you tricksy authors/showrunners, you got one on me. Mileage definitely varies.

The retcon for Luke and Laura in General Hospital pissed me off, and George Lucas got on my dark side with the Phantom Menace trilogy, so I don't always shrug it off.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I'm sorry, but this episode was mostly depressing and kinda tedious after a while. 

I did like the Katherine scenes.  And even though Eddie is aggravating, I did feel badly for him by the end of a full day of his friends hating him for what he'd done and him feeling like he's to blame for Jon's death .... so I liked Rome comforting Eddie on the way back home in the limo, about how "it wasn't just one thing" that may have pushed Jon over the edge.

Did Katherine slap Eddie at the end because she thought his silence meant he does love Delilah?  Or because he actually looked kind of ambivalent about Delilah, and Katherine was thinking "you ruined our marriage and you're not even sure you love her??!!"  

Gary was kind of a dick to Maggie for no reason.  The woman has spent days hanging out with Gary's sad, mourning friends.  She's guarded, not shallow.  Geez, Gary.  

If they do all the big reveal / confrontation scenes this early in the season ... what are they going to do for the rest of the season?  Pace yourself, show!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
On 10/12/2018 at 1:11 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I do think they are trying to create a tie between Katherine and Jon.  Not an affair (because they've already done that once), but at least some sort of kinship.  From the first episode, which was the last time we saw Katherine, I didn't get the impression that she and Jon had much more than him being polite to her (and apparently taking her to the hospital when her water broke, because Jon is a saint...of course).  But in this episode, it sounds more like they had enough of a relationship that she would feel comfortable calling him.  This is why I'm starting to think that his "love each other" voicemail to Eddie was to tell him to love Katherine, not Delilah--which still doesn't make much sense since, a week before his death, he was offering to give Eddie money to leave Katherine.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly where they are going with Jon's voicemail to Eddie.  Maybe he meant it sort of generally, for the whole group to come together and take care of each other?  But then why deliver that message only to Eddie?   I dunno.

I think Jon may have liked both Eddie and Katherine, but maybe felt at a certain point that if Eddie was really that unhappy in the marriage, a divorce would be the best option for everyone - including (and maybe especially) Katherine.  Hence they "I will pay you to leave her" comment.  Or maybe he meant "don't stay in an unhappy marriage because she supports you -- I can lend you money."

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Did Katherine slap Eddie at the end because she thought his silence meant he does love Delilah?  Or because he actually looked kind of ambivalent about Delilah, and Katherine was thinking "you ruined our marriage and you're not even sure you love her??!!"  

I think that slap was borne out of a number of things, probably a combination:

1 - It was sort of Katherine's breaking point.  Honestly, she had been pretty controlled (while still devastated) through almost the entire episode.

2 - Frustration because Eddie wouldn't answer the question.  Why he wouldn't is also a bit of a mystery: He had no problem telling everyone else that he and Delilah were in love (even though Delilah never said anything to indicate that she felt the same way).  He really had nothing to lose by telling Katherine the same thing, unless he sort of came to the realization that maybe it wasn't "love".  But that's too much head cannon from me.  Back to Katherine, I think that the fact that he would not answer the one thing she actually needed to know was too much for her.

3 - She took his silence as the affirmative and it sucks when your husband loves someone else

4 - She took his silence as the negative and she realized that he destroyed their relationship for a roll in the hay.

5 - She realized she was married to a five-year-old.

25 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

If they do all the big reveal / confrontation scenes this early in the season ... what are they going to do for the rest of the season?  Pace yourself, show!

This is one of my big concerns about this show.  It seems like they are putting things out there too quickly.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they didn't drag out the mystery of the affair, but I would have rather not known about the affair until about, oh, this point in the series.  The strange thing is, with all this info dumping, they aren't doing much in actually moving the plot.  The first two episodes were pretty much a standstill and, while we had some movement here, it felt like they were just moving one game piece from one square to another rather than moving everything forward.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

2 - Frustration because Eddie wouldn't answer the question.  Why he wouldn't is also a bit of a mystery: He had no problem telling everyone else that he and Delilah were in love (even though Delilah never said anything to indicate that she felt the same way).  He really had nothing to lose by telling Katherine the same thing, unless he sort of came to the realization that maybe it wasn't "love".  But that's too much head cannon from me.  Back to Katherine, I think that the fact that he would not answer the one thing she actually needed to know was too much for her.

Also he didn't have anywhere else to go. Maybe with Rome but Regina probably wouldn't be cool with that. The show's reasoning will probably be a little less cynical than mine though. But to me he just has no where else to go. His affair didn't work out so he's gotta stay with Katherine. I doubt they'll touch on that sort of thinking but if I was her I wouldn't be able to not think that he's just staying because he has no other options anymore.

• Love 1

I started reluctantly watching this show (the promos drove me mad) because I like a couple of the actors.  I didn’t like the first episode at all, but I’m warming up to it a bit.  I’m still not crazy about it, but I figure that’s okay because many of the shows that I thought started strong out of the gate ended up being huge disappointments for me.  Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Lost and Sleepy Hollow come to mind.  I’ll give this a chance since it really can’t dash my expectations. 

• Love 3

Here's what has been bothering me throughout. A minor point, but it bugs. They keep saying Jon "left" Regina and Delilah the building. But if he bought it for them (1) that doesn't make sense because you can't buy a building over the phone, you have to have a closing where you sign all the documents, give the seller a check, and receive a deed and the keys in exchange, just like when buying a house; and (2) why would they then need to sign a lease? Alternatively  if all he did was negotiate a lease, then (1) why do they keep saying he left them the building, and (2) wouldn't the secretary (Ashley?) have explained that Delilah needed to co-sign the lease say, as a sort of guarantor, i.e., that the lessor wouldn't lease to just one of the women? Because normally it would be up to Delilah whether she wants to be financially bound by the lease.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Here's what has been bothering me throughout. A minor point, but it bugs. They keep saying Jon "left" Regina and Delilah the building. But if he bought it for them (1) that doesn't make sense because you can't buy a building over the phone, you have to have a closing where you sign all the documents, give the seller a check, and receive a deed and the keys in exchange, just like when buying a house; and (2) why would they then need to sign a lease? Alternatively  if all he did was negotiate a lease, then (1) why do they keep saying he left them the building, and (2) wouldn't the secretary (Ashley?) have explained that Delilah needed to co-sign the lease say, as a sort of guarantor, i.e., that the lessor wouldn't lease to just one of the women? Because normally it would be up to Delilah whether she wants to be financially bound by the lease.

Good points and think there are a couple of possibilities:

1- This might not have been the deal Jon was working on right before he died.  Delilah already knew about it, so it could very well be that the restaurant was all settled before this.

2 - This could have been some weird Ashley thing.  I doubt this, simply because Delilah already knew about the restaurant.  However, I can see Ashley adding Delilah to the lease for whatever reason.

3 - DJ Nash just didn't think too hard about this and, like so many showrunners (GRRR!!!!), thinks the audience won't think about it either.

On 10/11/2018 at 3:54 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awww, poor Gary had a very Chandler Bing-esque reason for hating his birthday and I'm sure that having their friend group implode on this birthday didn't improve matters.

That's funny, because I think the character is a really bad mix of Chandler Bing and someone else who I'm blanking on at the moment.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

Awww, poor Gary had a very Chandler Bing-esque reason for hating his birthday and I'm sure that having their friend group implode on this birthday didn't improve matters.

You'd think after 10 years, the friends would all know this reason already.

With all his Super Suicide Pre-Planning, you'd think Jon would not have included himself in the hockey outing.

• Love 1

A lot of others have already discussed the affair and the reactions to it. I agree that Katherine comes out looking the best to me and I find Eddie and Delilah's excuses to be really lame and self-centered. However, there were a couple other things about this episode that I just can't get past. What day of the week was this meant to be? Was it a weekday? And if so, why wasn't anyone working besides Katherine (and shady-Ashley)? Maggie just happened to be free all morning to do "whatever" with the girls? Did they just blow off the mani-pedis/facials/reservations at that hard to get into restaurant? All the guys were just free all day? So strange. And if it was a weekend, where were the kids? Why was Ashley at work?

And don't get me started on the Bruin's fantasy camp surprise. So was Jon mega-loaded? He could afford to hire a limo for the day and pay for four people to attend a Bruin's fantasy camp? And he didn't need to tell anyone to make sure they would be available? And the guys all just happened to be at Gary's apartment when the limo shows up? And Jon not only planned and paid for the limo and the fantasy camp, but he also ordered a personalized cake and had it delivered?? Seriously?? I'm sorry, but stuff like this just completely takes me out of a show. It's so over-the-top and unrealistic that I can't take anything else that happens seriously. Sorry for the rant, I just can't believe no one else mentioned any of that. Maybe I'm the only one who never had a friend spend thousands of dollars on them for their birthday...

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

A lot of others have already discussed the affair and the reactions to it. I agree that Katherine comes out looking the best to me and I find Eddie and Delilah's excuses to be really lame and self-centered. However, there were a couple other things about this episode that I just can't get past. What day of the week was this meant to be? Was it a weekday? And if so, why wasn't anyone working besides Katherine (and shady-Ashley)? Maggie just happened to be free all morning to do "whatever" with the girls? Did they just blow off the mani-pedis/facials/reservations at that hard to get into restaurant? All the guys were just free all day? So strange. And if it was a weekend, where were the kids? Why was Ashley at work?

I got the impression that this episode took place on a weekend (for all the reasons you said).  But, yes, where were the kids?  Did they just send 7-year-old Theo out the door for him to find his own way to swim lessons with only a promise that a grownup would pick him up several hours later?  I get the fact that they needed not to have a child there when the affair was revealed, but send the poor kid on a sleepover!

• Love 1

Yeah, I assumed it was a weekend, with everyone having the day off (Gary and Maggie seem to have jobs with regular office hours, but weren't at work, and Ashley was wearing jeans, so I got the impression she just came to the office to help Delilah and friends go through Jon's stuff).  And that Katherine had work that needed to get done so she was working at home most of the day instead of enjoying her weekend (as a lawyer, I have been there many times - it sucks).  

This does, of course, make the absence of all of the children all day more puzzling.  Theo was at those swimming lessons a damn long time ...  

Another weird thing -- do Delilah and Jon not have any living parents or siblings?   Where is the extended family to support Delilah and the kids right now?

• Love 1

Okay not to change the subject or anything but,,,,,,,  this show takes place in Boston, yet you never see any New England Patriots Memorabilia, no mention of Them, I mean come on, the Bruins are okay but  The Patriots are the Main team Bostonians Follow Right?  

8 hours ago, meeeechiganman said:

Okay not to change the subject or anything but,,,,,,,  this show takes place in Boston, yet you never see any New England Patriots Memorabilia, no mention of Them, I mean come on, the Bruins are okay but  The Patriots are the Main team Bostonians Follow Right?  

Red Sox baby!!!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, meeeechiganman said:

Okay not to change the subject or anything but,,,,,,,  this show takes place in Boston, yet you never see any New England Patriots Memorabilia, no mention of Them,

And I’m okay with that. We already have enough cheaters on this show.  Ba-dum-ching. 

On 10/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly where they are going with Jon's voicemail to Eddie.  Maybe he meant it sort of generally, for the whole group to come together and take care of each other?  But then why deliver that message only to Eddie?   I dunno.

I think Jon may have liked both Eddie and Katherine, but maybe felt at a certain point that if Eddie was really that unhappy in the marriage, a divorce would be the best option for everyone - including (and maybe especially) Katherine.  Hence they "I will pay you to leave her" comment.  Or maybe he meant "don't stay in an unhappy marriage because she supports you -- I can lend you money."

And Jon’s message also made me wonder if he knew about Eddie and Delilah and was giving his ‘blessing’ for them to be together. 

If Jon was only encouraging Eddie to live his best life, which possibly means leaving Katherine, would he make that messsge his dying declaration? 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, topanga said:

And I’m okay with that. We already have enough cheaters on this show.  Ba-dum-ching. 

I think you may have just won the internet today!

12 minutes ago, topanga said:

And Jon’s message also made me wonder if he knew about Eddie and Delilah and was giving his ‘blessing’ for them to be together. 

If Jon was only encouraging Eddie to live his best life, which possibly means leaving Katherine, would he make that messsge his dying declaration? 

The more I think about it (which, admittedly, is too much) I just don't think Jon meant that message for Eddie and Delilah.  Really, it doesn't make sense at all.  Plus, I don't believe that Jon even knew about the affair.  He may have suspected, but I'm not even convinced of that.  Common sense and the timeline just do not support it. (Yes, I realize that common sense and the show-defined timeline are not always the most reliable hitching posts).

I think it is more likely that the "love each other" meant for the group at large.  He was about to kill himself and I think we can assume that he realized this would take a toll on his found family.  Why that message went to Eddie?  I don't know..maybe because Eddie, the one with the irregular job, was the most likely to pick up.  Or maybe because Eddie, who is emotionally 5 years old, might take it the hardest.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think it is more likely that the "love each other" meant for the group at large.

Then he could have texted that to the whole group and then jumped. He wanted to talk to Eddie, but Eddie didn't pick up, so he just left the short message. (IRL he could have explained "I know about the affair, it's okay, love her." But this is a TV show, so the message had to be enigmatic.)

14 hours ago, Kktjones said:

And he didn't need to tell anyone to make sure they would be available?

That bugged me too.

Also, 10 years together, they all know Gary hates his birthday, but he's never explained why before? Not the whole speech story he went through with Delilah, but "yeah, my seventh birthday was the day I realized my parents were going to divorce, and I've hated that reminder every year," would have sufficed.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Then he could have texted that to the whole group and then jumped. He wanted to talk to Eddie, but Eddie didn't pick up, so he just left the short message. (IRL he could have explained "I know about the affair, it's okay, love her." But this is a TV show, so the message had to be enigmatic.)

Taking my response to the spec thread.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, nexxie said:

When do we find out that Jon was hooking up with the assistant who hid the goodbye note?

I also want to know what the deal is with Ashley, the assistant everyone seems to love (Jon more than most, possibly). She's hiding a lot. Does that include an affair with Jon? Probably, but I have to say I hope not. Doubling up on the suicidal tendencies is one thing (and not necessarily a good thing); there'd better not be a million little affairs!

• Love 2

First, let me state that Delilah and Eddie were wrong to have an affair, and stupid to think they could go on being friends with everyone.  They seemed to have been planning to leave Jon and Katherine, so even without Jon’s suicide, they’d have been personas non grata once it came out. 

Second, I will stipulate that Katherine is hardworking.  Doesn’t mean I like her. She reminds me of some other hardworking people I know who want everyone to know how hardworking they are and how put upon they are by everyone else.   Eddie works part time for the same reasons a lot of spouses do. It makes no sense to have the lower income person work and have all their income eaten up by child care and also not be able to chauffeur their child to after school events, etc.  

Rome was correct in saying the affair is not the only or even a large reason for Jons’ suicide.  We’ve not even been given any indication that Jon still loved his wife in the first place. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Rome was correct in saying the affair is not the only or even a large reason for Jons’ suicide.  We’ve not even been given any indication that Jon still loved his wife in the first place. 

From what we've seen, I don't see any reason to think that Jon didn't love his wife (I think the show tried to show us that but failed).  But I misread your post the first time and had a different thought.  Why are we supposed to be so concerned about whether or not Delilah felt loved by Jon?  What if Jon didn't feel Delilah loved him?  What if he felt like he was failing as a husband and father?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

From what we've seen, I don't see any reason to think that Jon didn't love his wife (I think the show tried to show us that but failed).  But I misread your post the first time and had a different thought.  Why are we supposed to be so concerned about whether or not Delilah felt loved by Jon?  What if Jon didn't feel Delilah loved him?  What if he felt like he was failing as a husband and father?

That could very well be true also. Although I don’t want people to think it’s ok to kill your self because you aren’t perfect.   Im not giving Delilah a pass either for the affair.  She either should have asked Jon to join her in therapy or left.   I’m just not convinced yet that Jon was all that upset over the affair.   I do think he knew about it because we are ‘ supposed’ to think he found the necklace in the back seat of Delilah's car. 

When do we find out that Jon was hooking up with the assistant who hid the goodbye note?

I have a gut feeling that they weren't having an affair. I would believe that she was in love with him, based on the behavior we've seen her exhibit in all the episodes so far, but I don't believe they ever had a thing.

(And the way he pretty much committed suicide right in front of her shows that even if they had been having an affair, he was pretty cruel and careless about her feelings to do that where she'd have to see the outcome and deal with it.)

• Love 1
Just now, sinkwriter said:

I have a gut feeling that they weren't having an affair. I would believe that she was in love with him, based on the behavior we've seen her exhibit in all the episodes so far, but I don't believe they ever had a thing.

(And the way he pretty much committed suicide right in front of her shows that even if they had been having an affair, he was pretty cruel and careless about her feelings to do that where she'd have to see the outcome and deal with it.)

My gut feeling (which can be wrong) is also that they were not having an affair.  What little we saw of their relationship and how Ashley has reacted since his death make me think their relationship was more like a father-daughter one than a romantic one.

Having Maggie be such an integrated part of the group this early does not ring true for me. She has been there for all of the major moments since the show started. 

The secretary seems to be on her own show so looking forward to finding out how her schemes affect everyone else. 

I'm in the camp that Jon did not commit suicide. 

On 10/16/2018 at 6:05 PM, Kktjones said:

And don't get me started on the Bruin's fantasy camp surprise. So was Jon mega-loaded? He could afford to hire a limo for the day and pay for four people to attend a Bruin's fantasy camp? And he didn't need to tell anyone to make sure they would be available?

I thought the guys got a "save the date" in advance (the camp was still a surprise), and the phone pings were just reminders? That doesn't explain why everyone forgot or didn't look at their calendars, though.

Edited by snarktini
51 minutes ago, snarktini said:

I thought the guys got a "save the date" in advance (the camp was still a surprise), and the phone pings were just reminders? That doesn't explain why everyone forgot or didn't look at their calendars, though.

My guess is that Jon always did things for their birthdays, so they had already (before Jon's suicide) cleared their calendars for the day.  The reminders, I'm guessing, were scheduled in advance by Jon.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:
53 minutes ago, snarktini said:

My guess is that Jon always did things for their birthdays, so they had already (before Jon's suicide) cleared their calendars for the day.  The reminders, I'm guessing, were scheduled in advance by Jon.

And forgot about it because Jon's suicide and the funeral would make them forget all about it.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2018 at 11:47 PM, meeeechiganman said:

Bruins all day long.  That is one part of the show I really like

7 minutes ago, Xcptnl said:

Bruins all day long.  That is one part of the show I really like

While I actually kind of like that the guys are into a sport outside of the "big three," I have to ask a stupid question.  Are the Bruins any good?  I mean, I don't watch hockey so I don't know...

1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

While I actually kind of like that the guys are into a sport outside of the "big three," I have to ask a stupid question.  Are the Bruins any good?  I mean, I don't watch hockey so I don't know...

They have their moments and typically make it past the regular season.  Once there though the results have not been good.   But once a Bruin fan you are a fan for life.  So that part of the show rings very true to me. 

2 minutes ago, Xcptnl said:

They have their moments and typically make it past the regular season.  Once there though the results have not been good.   But once a Bruin fan you are a fan for life.  So that part of the show rings very true to me. 

So you are saying that they are a team that struggles to reach its full potential?  That's kind of apropos for this show (and I'm not being snarky.  I see this as a show about 3 guys who are "held back" by different things).

46 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

So you are saying that they are a team that struggles to reach its full potential?  That's kind of apropos for this show (and I'm not being snarky.  I see this as a show about 3 guys who are "held back" by different things).

No it’s their damn goalie.   Just kidding sort of ?. Interesting thought about the Bruins and the guys in the show.   I wonder if the writers really got that deep though.  

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, meeeechiganman said:

Here's the thing; while the Patriots are very popular in Boston/New England; most football fans in the rest of the country kind of despise them.  And for good reason, IMO, they're really not very nice people on the whole even if they do win a lot of football games.  If the guys on this show were rabid Pats fans, it would be a turn off to a big portion of their potential audience in the rest of the country.  I think the Bruins angle was chosen for just that reason; they're fairly inoffensive and don't evoke negative feelings from the viewers.  I think if the Pats make the playoffs or win another Super Bowl, it'll come up on the show; but TPTB are wisely trying not to alienate the rest of the country by featuring a bunch of Pats' fans.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Here's the thing; while the Patriots are very popular in Boston/New England; most football fans in the rest of the country kind of despise them.  And for good reason, IMO, they're really not very nice people on the whole even if they do win a lot of football games.  If the guys on this show were rabid Pats fans, it would be a turn off to a big portion of their potential audience in the rest of the country.  I think the Bruins angle was chosen for just that reason; they're fairly inoffensive and don't evoke negative feelings from the viewers.  I think if the Pats make the playoffs or win another Super Bowl, it'll come up on the show; but TPTB are wisely trying not to alienate the rest of the country by featuring a bunch of Pats' fans.

I agree with all of this.  My guess is that some other issues may have also come into play.  Since hockey isn't one of the big three sports, it was probably cheaper for the show.  Also, Vancouver has a hockey arena, but I don't think they have a location that could pass as Foxboro Stadium (or Fenway Park).  Plus, the hockey season is roughly the same as the regular TV season so they could run the story parallel to real-time (sort of...)

But, yeah, this Packers fan wouldn't be too keen about watching a show about Patriots fans.  Especially after last Sunday...

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I agree with all of this.  My guess is that some other issues may have also come into play.  Since hockey isn't one of the big three sports, it was probably cheaper for the show.  Also, Vancouver has a hockey arena, but I don't think they have a location that could pass as Foxboro Stadium (or Fenway Park).  Plus, the hockey season is roughly the same as the regular TV season so they could run the story parallel to real-time (sort of...)

But, yeah, this Packers fan wouldn't be too keen about watching a show about Patriots fans.  Especially after last Sunday...

That's an excellent point about the Bruins being relatively inoffensive to the rest of the country, as well as the issues with location shooting. I do hope some mention of THE RED SOX WINNING THE WORLD SERIES makes it's way into a future episode though, because, you know, THE RED SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!

On 11/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, doodlebug said:

Yes to all of this!

On 11/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, the Bruins are an Original Six team, which gives them a lot of cred, whether they’re doing well or not.