Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Save The Date

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

You know what bugged me about that scene?  It should have been a scene between Delilah and Regina.  I get that Maggie has to be in the middle of absolutely everything, although--to her credit--she did try to excuse herself.  But why the here was the *secretary* involved in all that?  

4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

So much this! The women are underdeveloped... I can't even comment on the acting for most of them (though I agree Delilah comes across as not particularly well acted) because we just haven't seen enough of them, and the writing for their scenes pales in comparison to the guys.

This reminded me that I thought it was a mistake to have Regina find out about the affair off screen. That should have been a good character development moment and instead all we get is her giving Delilah the silent treatment. All off the guys were given a chance to react on screen. At this rate Regina is going to find out about her own husbands suicide attempt off screen. 

Now that I think about all of the women (except Delilah) found out about both the affair and the Jon's suicide off screen. 

25 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Rome: "Hockey camp, Shmockey camp!  Delilah and Eddie are having an affair.  Katherine found out and she pissed.  Jon probably knew!"

Regina either had to have had the phone on speaker so Ashley and Maggie heard the same way she did.  Or she immediately dropped dime, which, would be kind fucked up because of course the first thing you do when you find out your BFF is having an affair with a man who is her husband's BFF, is to tell her husband's secretary and some new chick y'all just met a week ago.  Yeah, the writing for the women kinda sucks.  

Wondering about Jon's place of work.  Is that his own business and if so,  is it a two man show with just him and Ashley because I have not seen any other employees.  Also, if that in the case, how is business still happening now that he is dead?  Is Delilah just letting Ashley handle stuff?  Does he not have a lawyer who is handling his estate?  At some point, business is going to stop happening if Jon isn't there wheeling deals, so does Ashley just keep showing up to the office?

I think I can head cannon this into Regina having her phone on speaker.  They were packing up the office, so her hands would have been occupied.  Plus, there could have been a "let's check in on the boys while Delilah is in the other room" sort of thing between her and Maggie and, I guess, Ashley--because why the hell not.  So, I could see that...but I really shouldn't have to think that hard.

20 minutes ago, Dani said:

This reminded me that I thought it was a mistake to have Regina find out about the affair off screen. That should have been a good character development moment and instead all we get is her giving Delilah the silent treatment. All off the guys were given a chance to react on screen. At this rate Regina is going to find out about her own husbands suicide attempt off screen. 

Now that I think about all of the women (except Delilah) found out about both the affair and the Jon's suicide off screen. 

Yes, this is yet another example of how the writing for the women sucks.  I am getting really frustrated that we are getting absolutely nothing on Regina yet and Katherine wasn't even in the second episode.  I'm starting to wonder if DJ Nash has ever met a female before.  

As for finding out about Jon's suicide, Gary and Eddie both also found out about it off-camera, so I'm not too put out about that.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Dani said:

I really hope the writers have a plan to deal with the massive disconnect between Katherine’s action and the way she is treated by the others. It is really making her more sympathetic and the others more unlikable. 

The root of this is most likely Eddie.  My guess is that Eddie poisoned the well before they ever met Katherine.  She probably missed a few get to know you functions because of work.  Eddie likely played the victim in his unhappy marriage and she was met with a polite but distant chilly welcome and Katherine wasn't the personality type to be able to overcome it and make a friendship.  

Maggie is probably getting the Insta inclusion welcome to underline this.  Something else was going on to keep Katherine on the outs.

The other thing of note is that Gary likely sent that video because Jon said the wives are off limits.  But In that video Jon was defending Katherine when Eddie wasnt.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awww, poor Gary had a very Chandler Bing-esque reason for hating his birthday and I'm sure that having their friend group implode on this birthday didn't improve matters.

I missed Gary's Chandler Bing-esque reason.  Would you please enlighten me?  Thanks.

I have a real problem with Rome begging Maggie to be his therapist.  She said no and no means no.  I know he's desperate (since he very nearly swallowed those pills) but come on man, call the other guy.  Stop seeing Maggie as your one and only savior.

And to those wondering why Eddie went on to hockey camp?  Because Jon wanted him to.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

The root of this is most likely Eddie.  My guess is that Eddie poisoned the well before they ever met Katherine.  She probably missed a few get to know you functions because of work.  Eddie likely played the victim in his unhappy marriage and she was met with a polite but distant chilly welcome and Katherine wasn't the personality type to be able to overcome it and make a friendship.  

Maggie is probably getting the Insta inclusion welcome to underline this.  Something else was going on to keep Katherine on the outs.

The other thing of note is that Gary likely sent that video because Jon said the wives are off limits.  But In that video Jon was defending Katherine when Eddie wasnt.

I do think they are trying to create a tie between Katherine and Jon.  Not an affair (because they've already done that once), but at least some sort of kinship.  From the first episode, which was the last time we saw Katherine, I didn't get the impression that she and Jon had much more than him being polite to her (and apparently taking her to the hospital when her water broke, because Jon is a saint...of course).  But in this episode, it sounds more like they had enough of a relationship that she would feel comfortable calling him.  This is why I'm starting to think that his "love each other" voicemail to Eddie was to tell him to love Katherine, not Delilah--which still doesn't make much sense since, a week before his death, he was offering to give Eddie money to leave Katherine.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I agree with you that Eddie is most likely to blame. I just hope the writers have plan to handle it going forward because it is hard for me to see how they can keep this group together in a way that is believable. 

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Wondering about Jon's place of work.  Is that his own business and if so,  is it a two man show with just him and Ashley because I have not seen any other employees.  Also, if that in the case, how is business still happening now that he is dead?  Is Delilah just letting Ashley handle stuff?  Does he not have a lawyer who is handling his estate?  At some point, business is going to stop happening if Jon isn't there wheeling deals, so does Ashley just keep showing up to the office?

This baffles me, too.  And I’d think Delilah and possibly an attorney would have a bigger interest in Jon’s business and financial/legal affairs. She still has to pay bills and raise 2 young children. And was there a will?

Speaking of financial affairs, is Katherine the only person who works? Gary talks about working at an insurance job he hates, but I never see him go to work. He has time to hang out at Delilah’s house for hours to eat breakfast and form the Band of Dads. And I’m assuming his birthday was on a Saturday—the day of the Bruins camp. 

Otherwise, how are these people so idle day and night? I know Rome works when he has a directing job, but Regina is always home or is available to hang. How do they pay for their nice house/condo? We saw Maggi walk into her office, and she talked about needing to finish a paper, but he also seems to be hanging out with Gary or her new BFFs all of the time. And of course all Eddie does is play his guitar. 

And Ashley must live at the office. She is always there. 

Someone upthread asked about the police tape and open door in Jon’s office. If his balcony door had been left open for days, wouldn’t birds and other critters come into his office? What about homeless people or other squatters?

Overall, I’m enjoying the show much more than I thought I would. This episode especially. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

‘Cause his show is about the bros, man. 

• Love 3

Jon's last birthday present to Gary was pretty cool.  But...does anyone else think Jon seemed to be a little too perfect?  As a few posters have noted, I think before season's end we'll discover that "perfect" Jon had a very dark side too.  Committing suicide...there was probably decades of pain and anger that those closest to him seemed to know nothing about.  I'm 50/50 on whether or not he had an affair with the Shady Assistant, though.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Jon's last birthday present to Gary was pretty cool.  But...does anyone else think Jon seemed to be a little too perfect?  As a few posters have noted, I think before season's end we'll discover that "perfect" Jon had a very dark side too.  Committing suicide...there was probably decades of pain and anger that those closest to him seemed to know nothing about.  I'm 50/50 on whether or not he had an affair with the Shady Assistant, though.

I hope he left enough money for his wife and kids. Things like season tickets to the Bruins and Bruins camp could not have been cheap

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, topanga said:

I hope he left enough money for his wife and kids. Things like season tickets to the Bruins and Bruins camp could not have been cheap

Topanga!!!  Love the screen name lol.  Agreed, of all the male characters it seemed Jon had the most discretionary money at his disposal and used it liberally.  One would think he left his family well cared-for.

• Love 1

I know my opinion is am outlier but it is possible for Eddie to be a slacker and Katherine to be a hardworker but still have the breakdown of their marriage be both their faults. This in no way excuses what Eddie and Delilah did. The affair is solely Eddie and Delilah's fault. It is also possible for Eddie and Delilah to be redeemed by those willing to take that chance on them again. Lastly, his friends can detest what he did but still not wash their hands of him. 

I despise affairs but for me there are way more horrific things that one can do to their partner. Yes, I totally understand Katherine wiping the floor with Eddie and never looking back or even ruining him, if that is her perogative. He would deserve that from her, but his friends are allowed to work through that friendship.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

The present was designed for all 4 to be present. The coach guy even had a couple of lines about how their team was missing a member. So either

• Jon did not plan his suicide
  • or maybe he figured the birthday that was missing a team member would be a final f-u for the betrayal 
  • or he forgot about the present 
  • or he figured it would teach them how important the remaining friends were
  • or he was hypnotized to jump off the balcony by an evil cabal that ran a competing business—no, wait, that sounds like a Psych episode —wrong James Roday show
  • or . . . ?
  • Love 5

I don't think there is a universal reason for suicide. It is very individualistic. For the most part, I do think most people who commit suicide have thought about it way before they actually attempt it. 

It is clear to me that Jon planned his suicide, but I don't think he planned it at the time he planned Gary's surprise gift. He may have even been depressed when he planned the Bruins thing but not quite at the point of suicide.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I don't think there is a universal reason for suicide. It is very individualistic. For the most part, I do think most people who commit suicide have thought about it way before they actually attempt it. 

It is clear to me that Jon planned his suicide, but I don't think he planned it at the time he planned Gary's surprise gift. He may have even been depressed when he planned the Bruins thing but not quite at the point of suicide.

Good points. I remember Rome noticing in videos from a Bruins game and some other event* that Jon always plastered a smile on his face, even when he was talking about something sad or tragic. And that’s when Rome realized that Jon always wore a smile on his face but had the tears of a clown. When no one’s around.

*Rome is always videotaping or snapping pictures. I know he’s a director, and does end up with great footage, but it would drive me crazy if my friend stuck a phone camera in my face whenever I saw him. They aren’t on a friggin reality show. I know logging every moment is common with kids these days, but aren’t these dudes in their 30s and 40s? 

1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Topanga!!!  Love the screen name lol.  Agreed, of all the male characters it seemed Jon had the most discretionary money at his disposal and used it liberally.  One would think he left his family well cared-for.

Why, thank you. I always said that if I ever went straight hipster, I’d name my daughter Topanga and my son Peyton Manning (both words are his first name)—but not because of the football player. I just like the rhythm of the words. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, topanga said:

Good points. I remember Rome noticing in videos from a Bruins game and some other event* that Jon always plastered a smile on his face, even when he was talking about something sad or tragic. And that’s when Rome realized that Jon always wore a smile on his face but had the tears of a clown. When no one’s around.

*Rome is always videotaping or snapping pictures. I know he’s a director, and does end up with great footage, but it would drive me crazy if my friend stuck a phone camera in my face whenever I saw him. They aren’t on a friggin reality show. I know logging every moment is common with kids these days, but aren’t these dudes in their 30s and 40s? 

I am in my early 40s but was in my late teens when The Real World premiered on MTV. It was an instant hit. So, I think people my age are right in that era that started the camera/reality phase. Also, having a character like Rome allows us to see Jon minus the flashbacks.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I know my opinion is am outlier but it is possible for Eddie to be a slacker and Katherine to be a hardworker but still have the breakdown of their marriage be both their faults.

No, I agree with this.  As much as I have come to like Katherine and despise Eddie for his affair, Gary's personal opinion of her may be valid.  Since we have no context except the minimal one that has been presented it could be that Gary has his own relationship with Katherine that isn't great.  It may not just be Eddie poisoning the group.  She may be rigid and controlling.  Or it just may be that is how she is with Eddie because he is slacker.  Her being a little rigid and bossy and being likable for some thins and unlikable for others is not mutually exclusive.  Which again, goes to speak about how weak the writing is on the women.  If you are gong to include them and make then viable parts of the story, than that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I know my opinion is am outlier but it is possible for Eddie to be a slacker and Katherine to be a hardworker but still have the breakdown of their marriage be both their faults. This in no way excuses what Eddie and Delilah did. The affair is solely Eddie and Delilah's fault. It is also possible for Eddie and Delilah to be redeemed by those willing to take that chance on them again. Lastly, his friends can detest what he did but still not wash their hands of him. 

I despise affairs but for me there are way more horrific things that one can do to their partner. Yes, I totally understand Katherine wiping the floor with Eddie and never looking back or even ruining him, if that is her perogative. He would deserve that from her, but his friends are allowed to work through that friendship.

Well-said! 

And as someone else pointed out, the guys were perhaps a bit surprised, but not appalled, that Eddie was having an affair at all. What threw them, especially Gary, was that it was with Delilah. Before he found that out, Gary seemed like he couldn't wait for Eddie to dump Katherine. 

Also, I have to say that I kind of object to some people referring to Eddie as a slacker. He is a stay-at-home dad, of which there is nothing to be ashamed. It looks like he has a good relationship with his son, gets him ready for school, and probably picks him up more days than not. It was stated that Katherine does pick him up sometimes, but that probably is during the times that he is giving guitar lessons. I just don't think that that it is anything to sneer at, I know couples where the man is the stay at home and the woman works, if it works for the couple I celebrate it.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

No, I agree with this.  As much as I have come to like Katherine and despise Eddie for his affair, Gary's personal opinion of her may be valid.  Since we have no context except the minimal one that has been presented it could be that Gary has his own relationship with Katherine that isn't great.  It may not just be Eddie poisoning the group.  She may be rigid and controlling.  Or it just may be that is how she is with Eddie because he is slacker.  Her being a little rigid and bossy and being likable for some thins and unlikable for others is not mutually exclusive.  Which again, goes to speak about how weak the writing is on the women.  If you are gong to include them and make then viable parts of the story, than that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I am even willing to say that it could be Eddie's biased opinion of Katherine that formed the negative opinion in Gary's head. Maybe, another partner other than Eddie would fine Katherine fine. Maybe Eddie and Katherine  thought they were suited for each other but never were, and Eddie interpreted parts of her personality negatively and that interpretation filtered to his friends. Maybe Eddie was always a slacker and Katherine came to the same conclusion about Eddie after awhile. 

I agree that I would like to see more about the women but am not sure if the focus of this show was meant to be about the men. (I agree that the plotting is off in that case.) But Designing Women and Insecure had/have male characters, but the focus is squarely on the women, because that is what the show is about statedly. 

• Love 1

Speaking of Psych episodes, when Rome said “Wait for it” at the limo, I expected Gary to say “Wait for iiiiiiiit” and have Dule Hill pop out of the limo. If only...

I can’t believe the affair was revealed this early, but I liked it.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Well-said! 

And as someone else pointed out, the guys were perhaps a bit surprised, but not appalled, that Eddie was having an affair at all. What threw them, especially Gary, was that it was with Delilah. Before he found that out, Gary seemed like he couldn't wait for Eddie to dump Katherine. 

I’ve been thinking about everyone’s reactions to Eddie and Delilah’s affair:

• Katherine: hurt, angry, confused, and lonely—all appropriate and well-acted by Grace Park
  • Jon: probably also hurt and angry, but did his ‘love each other’ comment mean he kind of understood? Or was that message about the three guys?
  • Rome: ‘Eddie, that is f***** up. How could you do that to Jon and Katherine?’—but always remaining calm and reflective, (Wait, did anyone ever mention or think about Katherine?)
  • Maggie: ‘I don’t even know you guys, but I’m sad. And this is an interesting case study.’
  • Gary: ‘Eddie, you are scum. You are the worst person to ever live. Worse than Hitler. Lose my number and take my name out of your mouth forever. You’re a sweet hockey player, tho.’
  • Regina: ‘Delilah, you whore! How could you? I know your husband just died, but you were cheating in him, so you have no right to mourn him. You are no longer a grieving widow or my best friend. I hate you.’

Regina’s reaction in particular seems a bit excessive to me. I tried to imagine myself in a similar situation. If I were in a 4-couple friendship—minus the attorney wife. We don’t include her because she works—and my best friend Alicia cheated on her husband Kevin, and Alicia had the nerve to cheat with another husband in our group, sure I’d be pissed at Alicia. And at the cheating husband, of course. But if Alcia’s husband Kevin committed suicide, it wouldn’t stop me from being mad at her, but as her best friend, I’d still love her and comfort her anyway. Isn’t that what being a best friend is all about—you’re there for your friends even when they mess up terribly? Now, if Alicia had cheated with MY husband, that’s a different story.  I’d say ‘Screw you’ and keep it moving. Could Regina be jealous that Eddie ‘chose’ Delilah? Hadn’t Eddie and Regina gone on a date long ago?

Gary’s reaction initially seemed excessive to me, but I eventually understood it because 1) Eddie violated the most basic of bro codes: you don’t mess with your friend’s wife/girlfriend/ex, 2) Jon committed suicide, and many people believe that one thing drives a person to suicide, such as finding out your wife is cheating with one of your best friends, 3) part of Gary might want a family deep down, and Eddie has managed to wreck not just his own family, but Jon’s family as well, and 4) he has to choose to side with Eddie or Jon, since it would be psychologically difficult for him to side with both of them. And the dead friend who always took care of him and was betrayed before he died wins out over the cheating friend. Oh, and 5) Eddie further damaged the dynamics of a friend group that was already rocked by Jon’s suicide. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, topanga said:

• Katherine: hurt, angry, confused, and lonely—all appropriate and well-acted by Grace Park
  • Jon: probably also hurt and angry, but did his ‘love each other’ comment mean he kind of understood? Or was that message about the three guys?
  • Rome: ‘Eddie, that is f***** up. How could you do that to Jon and Katherine?’—but always remaining calm and reflective, (Wait, did anyone ever mention or think about Katherine?)
  • Maggie: ‘I don’t even know you guys, but I’m sad. And this is an interesting case study.’
  • Gary: ‘Eddie, you are scum. You are the worst person to ever live. Worse than Hitler. Lose my number and take my name out of your mouth forever. You’re a sweet hockey player, tho.’
  • Regina: ‘Delilah, you whore! How could you? I know your husband just died, but you were cheating in him, so you have no right to mourn him. You are no longer a grieving widow or my best friend. I hate you.’ 

I hadn't thought about the reactions individually and you bring up some good points.  I do think that some of these are particularly telling about each of the characters.  I do think that Maggie, despite being the insta-friend, is pretty detached and is probably just watching this with interest.  Of course, she also has her own shit going on and, honestly, I'd probably call foul if she threw herself into the middle of this.

I didn't think that Regina's reaction was particularly excessive.  I do think it was the worst written/least defined reaction.  But hey, she's a woman...that's what I've come to expect from this show.  She was also, at the time she found out, in an awkward position as she was with other people, in the middle of Jon's office, with a job to do.

I think both Gary and Rome's reactions were indicative of their characters.  Gary runs hot and he goes into everything with full force. I can see how this might be a result of his cancer diagnosis.  I posted an article in the media thread (which has some minor spoilers, so read with caution if you choose to) that clarifies that Gary is not an insurance salesman (as I thought) but an actuary and, because of that, he looks for ways to measure the value of people and this was a big minus in the red column for Eddie.

Going back to the 2nd episode, Rome is the gardener, not just with his wife as we've been told (because we haven't been shown...), but also with his friends.  He's the one who tries to hold things together for everyone, which might be why he's having trouble holding things together for himself.  I'm not sure if, pre-suicide, this was Jon's role or if Jon's only purpose was to provide sage advice.  But Rome is the one does whatever he can to just keep going, even if that means putting himself in the middle of situations.

As for anyone mentioning Katherine--no one did.  In fact, Delilah didn't either until she found Katherine waiting for her and she was sort of forced to do so.  The more they show of the affair, the more marks I put in the "bad" Delilah category than the bad Eddie category (yes, they are BOTH responsible...I'm not trying to excuse Eddie).  It looked in 1.2 that she was the one who at least put the wheels in motion for the affair.  She's the one who listened to Eddie's proclamations of love but never returned or discouraged them.  She's the one who kept dangling the carrot of "someday" in front of Eddie when he wanted to go public with the affair.  Again, I blame both Eddie and Delilah, but in different ways.

And Eddie, all his reactions in this showed us just how juvenile he is.  He had no problem looking straight into his wife's eyes and lying to her.  Once the cat was out of the bag, he played the submissive role, yet still went from person to person (well, Katherine to Gary to Rome) trying to get someone on his side.  He put that deer in the headlights look to good use.  Part of Eddie's redemption is going to have to be a steep maturing curve because, right now, he's at about the level of a 6 year old.  He reminds me of that line from Gone with the Wind when Rhett tells Scarlet, "You're like the thief who is not sorry he stole, but very sorry he got caught."  I don't think it was until the end of this episode (or maybe when Katherine invoked Theo) that he showed any remorse whatsoever beyond lipservice for what he had done.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Regina’s reaction in particular seems a bit excessive to me. I tried to imagine myself in a similar situation. If I were in a 4-couple friendship—minus the attorney wife. We don’t include her because she works—and my best friend Alicia cheated on her husband Kevin, and Alicia had the nerve to cheat with another husband in our group, sure I’d be pissed at Alicia.

Heh.  I agree with all the assessments except Regina's.  She just seemed so deeply disappointed in Deliliah.  A silent "i am judging you" but she stayed and finished helping with the office clean out acknowledging that now was the not the time.

I actually thought Gary's was the most excessive.  I mean, he acted out more than Katherine did.  There was a tone to his reaction that felt more over the top than it had to be. I could buy him being biting and sarcastic but you'd think he was the wronged wife the way he was acting.

I think everyone else was on point, though.

I still think Delilah got off way too easy.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I missed Gary's Chandler Bing-esque reason.  Would you please enlighten me?  Thanks.

Gary hates his birthday because on his seventh birthday his parents had a very loud argument during his party (where his entire grade, who were all in attendance, could overhear it), and that was the moment he realized they were divorcing. And his wish that year and in subsequent years was for everyone to just be happy.

7 hours ago, topanga said:

Could Regina be jealous that Eddie ‘chose’ Delilah? Hadn’t Eddie and Regina gone on a date long ago?

I think that was actually Regina and Gary who went on one date.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 5:09 AM, biakbiak said:

She was and it was stupid because a new subway stop doesn’t happen quickly even after it is approved it literally takes years, she will be lucky if her restaurant that hasn’t even opened yet will still be open by a the time that would actually come to pass.

Not to mention, no one from Boston calls it the subway....it’s “The T”.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Heh.  I agree with all the assessments except Regina's.  She just seemed so deeply disappointed in Deliliah.  A silent "i am judging you" but she stayed and finished helping with the office clean out acknowledging that now was the not the time.

I actually thought Gary's was the most excessive.  I mean, he acted out more than Katherine did.  There was a tone to his reaction that felt more over the top than it had to be. I could buy him being biting and sarcastic but you'd think he was the wronged wife the way he was acting.

I think everyone else was on point, though.

I still think Delilah got off way too easy.

I think, aside from the fact that the men act like brothers, that it’s because he encouraged Eddie all along.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:
21 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Gary hates his birthday because on his seventh birthday his parents had a very loud argument during his party (where his entire grade, who were all in attendance, could overhear it), and that was the moment he realized they were divorcing. And his wish that year and in subsequent years was for everyone to just be happy

And, from http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/Chandler_Bing :

Chandler's most vivid memory of Thanksgiving is when he was nine years old when his mother and father told him that they were getting divorced so his father could run off with the house-boy. Because of this, Chandler refuses to celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional way. This includes a ban on all Thanksgiving food, . . .

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I agree with you. 

• Love 3

Here is another thing that I noticed in this episode...the necklace doesn't make any sense.  We know that this is Eddie's "lucky" necklace, it's also a relatively tight-fitting necklace and I would think that he would notice if it were missing.  We know he has it a week before Jon dies, as it is referenced at the hockey game.  He's not wearing it when he's at the hotel with Delilah at the time that Jon commits suicide and he doesn't know he's missing it until Theo mentions the night of the funeral (beginning of 1.2), which is 9 days after Jon's death, judging by the date on the voicemail that he also apparently didn't notice he had.  We do know he was wearing it at some point before Jon's death when he and Delilah were going at it in the back of her Lexus.  Since he apparently called the hotel to ask about it, he must think he lost it then, which I would hope would mean that he had at some point between the hockey game and the day Jon died--which limits the window of opportunity Jon would have had to find it.

If I look at what we know and add in a dash of common sense (I do NOT believe that Eddie was missing the necklace he always wears, that he claims brings him luck, for over a week without noticing it), none of it makes sense.  This leads me to think there are 2 possibilities:

1 - Shitty writing

-or-

2 - The necklace is some sort of clumsy red herring.

I'll admit, it's probably the first option, but I hope it is the second.  If so, I doubt that Jon knew about Eddie and Delilah.  Also, I realize that I need to stop thinking so much about this show.  Hopefully, something will pop up on streaming soon that will hit my brain in the right places so I don't dwell on a show that probably doesn't deserve it.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Here is another thing that I noticed in this episode...the necklace doesn't make any sense.  We know that this is Eddie's "lucky" necklace, it's also a relatively tight-fitting necklace and I would think that he would notice if it were missing.  We know he has it a week before Jon dies, as it is referenced at the hockey game.  He's not wearing it when he's at the hotel with Delilah at the time that Jon commits suicide and he doesn't know he's missing it until Theo mentions the night of the funeral (beginning of 1.2), which is 9 days after Jon's death, judging by the date on the voicemail that he also apparently didn't notice he had.  We do know he was wearing it at some point before Jon's death when he and Delilah were going at it in the back of her Lexus.  Since he apparently called the hotel to ask about it, he must think he lost it then, which I would hope would mean that he had at some point between the hockey game and the day Jon died--which limits the window of opportunity Jon would have had to find it.

If I look at what we know and add in a dash of common sense (I do NOT believe that Eddie was missing the necklace he always wears, that he claims brings him luck, for over a week without noticing it), none of it makes sense.  This leads me to think there are 2 possibilities:

1 - Shitty writing

-or-

I'll admit, it's probably the first option, but I hope it is the second.  If so, I doubt that Jon knew about Eddie and Delilah.  Also, I realize that I need to stop thinking so much about this show.  Hopefully, something will pop up on streaming soon that will hit my brain in the right places so I don't dwell on a show that probably doesn't deserve it.

I know what you mean. I just said in another thread, that I hope the man from AT&T manages to finally fix our internet tomorrow.  It’s mostly been out for weeks now.  I miss Netflix and amazon. Hell, I miss YouTube.  I’m currently on choked phone data, and this is one of the few sites that loads at times.  

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Heh.

Sadly, this is a valid point.

I should also point out that particular necklace is available at thousands of Claire's across the country (or whatever is taking Claire's place in the tween jewelry market).  It's not like it is some unique thing that only Eddie has.  In other words, it is possible that the necklace Jon had wasn't even Eddie's.  I am sort of predicting that it will come out as being Sophie's necklace....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Sadly, this is a valid point.

I should also point out that particular necklace is available at thousands of Claire's across the country (or whatever is taking Claire's place in the tween jewelry market).  It's not like it is some unique thing that only Eddie has.  In other words, it is possible that the necklace Jon had wasn't even Eddie's.  I am sort of predicting that it will come out as being Sophie's necklace....

And, sadly, you are not writing for this show. I think that would be a great reveal.

But what would make me quit this show is if it becomes a "Tale of Poor Bros, Stuck With Their [you knows]."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

1 - Shitty writing

-or-

I like to believe there is a plan but my money is on shitty writing. Since the balcony door at Jon’s office has apparently been open for over a week I think logic is a lower priority than drama. 

Edited by Guest
On 10/11/2018 at 5:26 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ITA about Katherine - no wonder she is up before 7am working in bed before she goes to the office if Eddie's only source of income is giving occasional guitar lessons to kids. Now I'm even more offended on Katherine's behalf that in the first episode, Eddie asked Katherine to pick Theo up from school because he had a guitar lesson (when he was really sneaking off to have sex with Delilah). Your wife is the sole breadwinner working long hours to support your family, pay the mortgage, etc. If you're going to have an affair (and with someone who seems to not work full time either), it seems like the very least you could do is fuck around in the middle of the day when your kids are in school so that your spouse doesn't have to leave work to pick your kid up from school!

I like the Katharine we've seen in this episode. That being said - having been in the same position (the working parent with an at-home spouse), you can manage that just fine working normal hours - provided you keep your expenses in line with your income. (just like in the olden days when the man was the only income provider). Work-a-holics do tend to use "sacrificing for the family" as an excuse, when often it's just that they enjoy working or are simply driven people who don't know how not to work at all hours.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:47 PM, topanga said:

Someone upthread asked about the police tape and open door in Jon’s office. If his balcony door had been left open for days, wouldn’t birds and other critters come into his office? What about homeless people or other squatters?

There was a better shot of the door this episode (or it was in a different light), anyway - I noticed that it was not, in fact open. The sliding door handle (or whatever it's called) was firmly in place where it's supposed to be.

23 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Also, I have to say that I kind of object to some people referring to Eddie as a slacker. He is a stay-at-home dad, of which there is nothing to be ashamed. It looks like he has a good relationship with his son, gets him ready for school, and probably picks him up more days than not. It was stated that Katherine does pick him up sometimes, but that probably is during the times that he is giving guitar lessons. I just don't think that that it is anything to sneer at, I know couples where the man is the stay at home and the woman works, if it works for the couple I celebrate it.

A man being the at home parent is no different than a woman being the at home parent. Both are due respect for the work they do. My husband and I decided to switch roles when he was laid off - since I hated being an at-home mom, and he hated the corporate world (like Eddie, he is a musician). We were equal partners and respected each other's efforts for our family. (he was a MUCH better at home parent than I was).

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I like the Katharine we've seen in this episode. That being said - having been in the same position (the working parent with an at-home spouse), you can manage that just fine working normal hours - provided you keep your expenses in line with your income. (just like in the olden days when the man was the only income provider). Work-a-holics do tend to use "sacrificing for the family" as an excuse, when often it's just that they enjoy working or are simply driven people who don't know how not to work at all hours.

Yeah, I believe that many people like Jon and Katherine actually thrive on the long hours and high-stress deadlines. While Jon so far seems like the type who loved it, Katherine seems more stressed out. But that could just be her personality, doesn't mean there isn't a part of her that loves it.

I guess I often have a hard time sympathizing with people who have high stress jobs, because who held the gun to their head and forced them to take the job? And who doesn't know that being a lawyer is stressful? I have purposely made choices in my life to avoid too much stress. It's just not my thing. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

Yeah, I believe that many people like Jon and Katherine actually thrive on the long hours and high-stress deadlines. While Jon so far seems like the type who loved it, Katherine seems more stressed out. But that could just be her personality, doesn't mean there isn't a part of her that loves it.

I guess I often have a hard time sympathizing with people who have high stress jobs, because who held the gun to their head and forced them to take the job? And who doesn't know that being a lawyer is stressful? I have purposely made choices in my life to avoid too much stress. It's just not my thing. 

It's hard to tell because we don't know the Eddie and Katherine backstory.  I can see that, at some point, the decision was made for Katherine to work and Eddie to stay home.  I am not saying that being a stay at home parent is easy (I am a SAHM and it is the hardest job I've ever had).  But what I'm seeing is Eddie is blaming Katherine and her working on the breakdown of their marriage.  And, yes, it might be a factor, but it is not the only one.  It is an issue that should be dealt with, not an excuse.

As for the high-stress jobs...my husband has a high-stress job.  He could easily find a lower stress job, but it wouldn't pay as well.  He has reasons for wanting the paycheck and I get that.  For Eddie and Katherine, the cost of living in the 'burbs of Boston (we know they are in Delilah's neighborhood.  While their house is far more modest than Delilah's McMansion, they still are in an expensive place to live.)  Plus, we don't know where Katherine is in her career.  Maybe she's still trying to make partner and the hours she puts in are necessary for her to advance in her career and get to a more comfortable professional spot.  Or she could just be a raging workaholic who would rather be at the office.  We just don't know (although we've been told that she would rather not work long hours).  

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

It's hard to tell because we don't know the Eddie and Katherine backstory.  I can see that, at some point, the decision was made for Katherine to work and Eddie to stay home.  I am not saying that being a stay at home parent is easy (I am a SAHM and it is the hardest job I've ever had).  But what I'm seeing is Eddie is blaming Katherine and her working on the breakdown of their marriage.  And, yes, it might be a factor, but it is not the only one.  It is an issue that should be dealt with, not an excuse.

As for the high-stress jobs...my husband has a high-stress job.  He could easily find a lower stress job, but it wouldn't pay as well.  He has reasons for wanting the paycheck and I get that.  For Eddie and Katherine, the cost of living in the 'burbs of Boston (we know they are in Delilah's neighborhood.  While their house is far more modest than Delilah's McMansion, they still are in an expensive place to live.)  Plus, we don't know where Katherine is in her career.  Maybe she's still trying to make partner and the hours she puts in are necessary for her to advance in her career and get to a more comfortable professional spot.  Or she could just be a raging workaholic who would rather be at the office.  We just don't know (although we've been told that she would rather not work long hours).  

We also don't know what led to their current arrangement.  Was a mutual decision made that Eddie would be home and manage things there and that Katherine would work?  Or, did Eddie get tired of trying to make it as a professional musician and just stays home by default?  Does he feel it would be an insult to his talents to work at another job?  Did his efforts to make music work (or his drinking) cause him to accumulate huge debts that Katherine now has to work long hours to repay?  Did Katherine unilaterally decide that her work was more important (or better paid) than his and start working ridiculous hours which effectively short circuited any efforts he might've made to find work as a musician since someone needed to be home with Theo?  There's a lot going on here and we just don't know the answers; but it could well be that their current division of labor was not mutually agreed upon and that is a very major part of their marital problems.  Of course, none of that excuses his adulterous relationship with his close friend's wife.

• Love 5

I keep forgetting that Eddie is a recovering alcoholic. That is something that could definitely take a huge toll on a marriage.

So many questions and so many possible answers. Three episodes in and I am definitely hooked!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

There was a better shot of the door this episode (or it was in a different light), anyway - I noticed that it was not, in fact open. The sliding door handle (or whatever it's called) was firmly in place where it's supposed to be.

The door looks closed but then Delilah walks straight onto the balcony after she removes the police tape. There is even a breeze blowing her hair as she approaches the door. I’ve decided to accept that the show prefers dramatic moments even if it sacrifices logic and consistency. 

I find amusing that everyone here is making a far better argument for Eddie than the show has at this point. Hopefully it is coming in the next episodes. 

43 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I keep forgetting that Eddie is a recovering alcoholic. That is something that could definitely take a huge toll on a marriage.

So many questions and so many possible answers. Three episodes in and I am definitely hooked!

Great point. In is eulogy Eddie mention that Jon’s intervention happened when Theo was born. His alcoholism had to have played a huge part in the dynamic of their marriage. We actually know a lot more about Eddie’s background then any of the other characters so I am hopeful about what might be planned. 

50 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I keep forgetting that Eddie is a recovering alcoholic. That is something that could definitely take a huge toll on a marriage.!

Definitely.  I had an uncle (now deceased) who had addiction issues.   When he married his 2nd wife, he was drinking and using, although she was not.  When their son was born, my uncle got sober and their marriage went south because, as his then-wife said, he was no longer the man she married.  I can see how that may also be an element in all this.

Also, can I just say that I'm really resenting the fact that we have all this about Eddie, we have Gary and Maggie's thing, but we have next to nothing about Rome, the character whose arc probably plays the most into the supposed focus of this show?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

having been in the same position (the working parent with an at-home spouse), you can manage that just fine working normal hours - provided you keep your expenses in line with your income. (just like in the olden days when the man was the only income provider).

For me the big difference is that my parents' generation were able to afford to buy a house and two cars with just one parent working and live comfortably. Nowadays, it's nearly impossible to buy a house on one person's income, especially if you live in/near a large city like Boston (when my friend, who had no student loan debt because he'd been on full academic scholarship while in college, lived in LA about twenty years ago, he was making six figures and when he tried to buy a place, he realized that all he could afford was a shitty condo in a terrible neighborhood or something that would require over an hour to commute to/from work each day). And let's be real - Katherine and Eddie's house is clearly large and in a nice neighborhood so it must cost a lot), let alone support two adults and a child. Eddie's guitar lessons can't be bringing in a ton of money which explains why Katherine is sitting in bed working before 7am so that she can get two billable hours before she even gets to the office. The real estate market is just ridiculous these days, particularly if you live in a major city. Many of the people I know in California couldn't afford to buy homes until they had a spouse AND they moved out of state (and now they spend a lot of time trying to figure out a way to move back to San Francisco/Los Angeles/San Diego because they hate the weather in Reno/Nebraska/Minneapolis).

But that pressure to provide definitely explains why Katherine said that Jon was the one who really got her because he understood what it was like to be in that position. I know it was mentioned that Delilah is an interior designer but we haven't seen anything that shows she was actually working as one (heh, maybe they just meant she decorated the house!). So far all we've seen her do during the day is have an affair with Eddie so I'm waiting to see if she has a job or any other source of income now that Jon is gone. Is it possible that he had multiple insurance policies? We saw the one that Ashley had leaving equal parts to Gary, Eddie, Rome, and Barbara but Jon must have had one for Delilah and the kids. Delilah hasn't seemed too concerned about how she will pay the bills without Jon's income. I don't need the show to devolve into the financial minutiae of all the characters, but it will be interesting to see if Delilah has to get a job or sell the house.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But that pressure to provide definitely explains why Katherine said that Jon was the one who really got her because he understood what it was like to be in that position. I know it was mentioned that Delilah is an interior designer but we haven't seen anything that shows she was actually working as one (heh, maybe they just meant she decorated the house!). So far all we've seen her do during the day is have an affair with Eddie so I'm waiting to see if she has a job or any other source of income now that Jon is gone. Is it possible that he had multiple insurance policies? We saw the one that Ashley had leaving equal parts to Gary, Eddie, Rome, and Barbara but Jon must have had one for Delilah and the kids. Delilah hasn't seemed too concerned about how she will pay the bills without Jon's income. I don't need the show to devolve into the financial minutiae of all the characters, but it will be interesting to see if Delilah has to get a job or sell the house.

It was said, either in this ep or 1.2, that Delilah had quit working when Sophie was born.  That was the reason, according to Ashley, why Jon put Delilah's name on the lease of the restaurant.  Of course, that really doesn't make sense how making her co-owner of a restaurant would help her decorating career.  

• Love 1

I really can’t stand Maggie. As others above have stated, she has no problem going through Gary’s personal stuff, but acts as if Gary was snooping through her things and discovered some deep dark sekrit when he found the panda.?????

Also no sympathy for Delilah or Eddie. They're only sorry, I mean ”SO SORRY!” because they got caught. I see no remorse or acknowledgment that what they did was wrong. And Delilah can just stop with her crying in practically every scene. She's acting like someone who is deeply grieving someone she loved. But if she really still loved Jon, she wouldn't have been having an affair, would she? Or is Show trying to tell me she loved him even though she cheated on him? I'm not drinking that particular Kool-Aid.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I really can’t stand Maggie. As others above have stated, she has no problem going through Gary’s personal stuff, but acts as if Gary was snooping through her things and discovered some deep dark sekrit when he found the panda.?????

Also no sympathy for Delilah or Eddie. They're only sorry, I mean ”SO SORRY!” because they got caught. I see no remorse or acknowledgment that what they did was wrong. And Delilah can just stop with her crying in practically every scene. She's acting like someone who is deeply grieving someone she loved. But if she really still loved Jon, she wouldn't have been having an affair, would she? Or is Show trying to tell me she loved him even though she cheated on him? I'm not drinking that particular Kool-Aid.

I think that Stephanie Szostak has 2 acting modes: flatlining and chewing every single bit of scenery.  Perhaps why I am not hating Eddie quite as much as Delilah is because at least David Giuntoli can play his role and hasn't resorted to relying on crazy eyes.  But, back to the character...I do think that Delilah loved Jon and I don't think she loves Eddie.  I do think her affair with Eddie was all about getting back at Jon.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

But, back to the character...I do think that Delilah loved Jon and I don't think she loves Eddie.  I do think her affair with Eddie was all about getting back at Jon

Interesting theory. Getting back at him for what?

I was glad the affair was revealed, but I hated that it happened on Gary’s birthday and put an additional shadow over his day. He’s my favorite character so far.

I really feel for Katherine. It’s not easy being the only responsible adult in the relationship, and doing it while female can be even harder because there is still a stigma when women really want to climb the corporate ladder and when they are married to a pouty child like she is, their attempts to get their husband to be an adult are seeing as being controlling. 

9 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I do think her affair with Eddie was all about getting back at Jon.

See, to me that tells me she didn't love Jon. She’s no longer in love with him/loves him, feels neglected, so strikes out to have an affair to hurt Jon. That’s not love. It’s selfishness, because supposedly she was also friends with Katherine and she didn’t even think what this would do to her?

I will say that I did like Gary telling Maggie to come back when it was just fun, since she clearly is only interested in a superficial relationship. And he’s not interested in opening up and talking to her after her immature and jerky response to his simple inquiry about the panda.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, deaja said:

I really feel for Katherine. It’s not easy being the only responsible adult in the relationship, and doing it while female can be even harder because there is still a stigma when women really want to climb the corporate ladder and when they are married to a pouty child like she is, there attempts to get their husband to be an adult are seeing as being controlling. 

Yes. Child care can be as expensive as college and lasts longer, so Eddie would be worth staying married to for that reason, but, as mentioned upthread, the multi-million-dollar house kind of negates that reasoning 
—although I suppose if the house is sold, Eddie gets half of the equity (which might not be much) and then Katherine might wind up paying alimony or child support. 
No doubt Katherine has played through all of these financial scenarios in her mind
—but I doubt the writers have.

ETA: I'm going to assume they bought the house after the housing market bubble burst (2008-2010 or so) and got it for half its current value.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2