Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Save The Date

• Start Topic

Gary, Rome and Eddie discover that Jon really thought of everything before his passing by planning a surprise outing for Gary’s birthday at a Bruins Fantasy Camp. However, when a grave secret is exposed, Gary’s special day takes a turn for the worse as it creates conflict for everyone in the group.

I know the actress that plays Delilah is French, but it’s driving me crazy that Delilah seems to keep slipping in and out of the accent.  Is her character supposed to have an accent or not?  Is she just doing a bad job trying to hide it?

Edited by AllyCat
  • Love 11

So what I really want to know is what shady deal Ashley has with the competitive Subway down the block from the new restaurant building Jon bought for Regina and (maybe?) Delilah.

Is Maggie supposed to be the placeholder for Jon?

So Rome used the "It's a million little things" line in relation to suicide. Did the promo monkeys for the show get the memo on that? Was this the first episode with the trigger warning screen at the beginning, or have they all had that?

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

How in the world  did these two fuckwits think that they could live a happily ever after. That Jon and Co would be cool with a couple shuffle and still hang out with everyone. Like Gary and Rome wouldn’t side with Jon and no one would see these two ever again.

Reminds me of a time in the early 70s when two Yankee players switched wives...and families.  I always wondered how others in their lives felt about the swap and what the repercussions were for everyone involved.

11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Wow, Gary was fighting those network restrictions so HARD when he clearly wanted to yell "he was fucking Delilah" at the top of his lungs.

I really thought ABC was going to go there.  Other than outright intercourse the planned F-bomb is about the last unbroken taboo on network TV.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

Maybe it’s because I’m not that quick to get close to people but Maggie is creepy  as hell. Why is she so invested in these peoples lives. How desperate for friends is she that she latches on to a recent widow to be there while she cleans out her dead husbands office or have day after the funeral brunch. They should have tried to make her involvement in the group more organic or made her have some type of history with someone. Even if it was decades old something that isn’t some random hookup. 
Of course Kono has to work long hard hours. Being a mediocre guitar teacher isn’t exactly helping to pay the bills. 

I'm not quick to get close to people either, so I do think it's weird and a "only on TV" thing. But, maybe Maggie is actually just really lonely. So she wants to have more people in her life and when she meets this group that is all in pain, they are just drawn to each other? That may be reaching.

I really felt for Katherine in this episode, and don't see her as a bad wife at all. I hope that was the intention.

• Love 14

That was so much better than the first two episodes. So we finally get to really know Katherine and she is already the most compelling woman on show. Adding Grace Park was a absolutely brilliant move. That scene with Katherine and DeliIah in the car was amazing. It was one of the few times that I really felt the grief over Jon's death. However, it is ridiculous that Katherine's grief actually felt more raw and real than Delilah's. 

23 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

How in the world  did these two forkwits think that they could live a happily ever after. That Jon and Co would be cool with a couple shuffle and still hang out with everyone. Like Gary and Rome wouldn’t side with Jon and no one would see these two ever again. They would have no friends and there kids would hate them. Gary's email to Eddie was everything. 
Maybe it’s because I’m not that quick to get close to people but Maggie is creepy  as hell. Why is she so invested in these peoples lives. How desperate for friends is she that she latches on to a recent widow to be there while she cleans out her dead husbands office or have day after the funeral brunch. They should have tried to make her involvement in the group more organic or made her have some type of history with someone. Even if it was decades old something that isn’t some random hookup. 
Of course Kono has to work long hard hours. Being a mediocre guitar teacher isn’t exactly helping to pay the bills. 

I could not agree with you more about Maggie. I really want to like her because I do like the actress but the writing is making it impossible. In the real world the rest of the group would be running away from the crazy desperate lady. 

Was anyone else really irritated that Maggie got pissed over the panda after she looked through Gary's glove box in the first episode? Someone needs to tell her that if she wants other people to respect her privacy she needs to stop invading theirs. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, francie202 said:

I agree about the Maggy friendship — totally creepy how she’s been brought so intimately into their fold so quickly. 

The guys became friends after meeting in the elevator, so in-show it kind of makes sense that these people would embrace her. Also, she isn't just a one night stand, by now she's basically Gary's girlfriend.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So what I really want to know is what shady deal Ashley has with the competitive Subway down the block from the new restaurant building Jon bought for Regina and (maybe?) Delilah.

Oh wow. I thought she was talking about an actual subway stop (public transportation) opening up, which would drive traffic to the restaurant.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I really felt for Katherine in this episode, and don't see her as a bad wife at all. I hope that was the intention.

I liked her a lot this week. But I wish TV would stop thinking it's OK to hit people.

44 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

This episode was the best of the bunch, and I am totally on Team Grace Park. But I just wonder how she will remain a long term character. She is so isolated from the entire group. 

I'm curious how they'll do this, too. I hope the find a way other than having a million flashbacks.

I wonder if the stuff Ashley hid included an explanation from Jon, about why he killed himself. Is that reveal going to be the season finale? I really don't want them to drag it out. I liked what Rome said about how things happen all the time without people killing themselves. It doesn't justify what Eddie and Delilah did, but it's true.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

How in the world  did these two fuckwits think that they could live a happily ever after. That Jon and Co would be cool with a couple shuffle and still hang out with everyone. Like Gary and Rome wouldn’t side with Jon and no one would see these two ever again. They would have no friends and there kids would hate them. Gary's email to Eddie was everything. 

Yeah. I want to know what the end plan was. Then again.. I have been wondering we’ve seen Eddie be all “it’s love for me” to the guys and he seemed to be the one pushing to end their respective marriages, we saw his end of the phone call in the pilot when he was planning to tell his wife he was leaving her. Did Delliah have a plan to end her marriage too? Or was this just ..a thing to district her and if so yes she should have chosen someone who wasn’t one of her husbands friends. 

Anyways. I’m glad everyone found out.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Oh wow. I thought she was talking about an actual subway stop (public transportation) opening up, which would drive traffic to the restaurant.

She was and it was stupid because a new subway stop doesn’t happen quickly even after it is approved it literally takes years, she will be lucky if her restaurant that hasn’t even opened yet will still be open by a the time that would actually come to pass.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
4 hours ago, possibilities said:
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So what I really want to know is what shady deal Ashley has with the competitive Subway down the block from the new restaurant building Jon bought for Regina and (maybe?) Delilah.

She was and it was stupid because a new subway stop doesn’t happen quickly even after it is approved it literally takes years, she will be lucky if her restaurant that hasn’t even opened yet will still be open by a the time that would actually come to pass.

Oh! Thanks for the correction! I guess maybe I assumed "subway close to the restaurant" in the conversation between Delilah and Roberta was a bad thing (like a Subway sandwich shop competing for foot traffic) because of their flat, post-husband-suicide affect voices.
And, yeah, new subway stops require environmental impact reports, engineering studies, tax revenue support for construction, political support, etc. etc. etc., right? Do they even happen? Oh. I guess so: https://www.npr.org/2017/01/02/507898727/new-yorks-long-awaited-second-avenue-subway-finally-leaves-the-station
Still, the writers had Ashley talking about it to an anonymous person on the phone like it was some insider trading tip on Apple stocks or something.
Or did I misinterpret that too?

Is there any way it could turn out that Ashley hiding the note to Delilah is worse than the affair?
As a viewer, it feels like the writers are cheating on us with it.
Secretive Ashley is really annoying.
Dear writers, your goal is not to annoy the audience.

• Love 8

Although I wasn't looking forward to the fallout of Eddie and Delilah's affair, I'm glad that it happened sooner rather than later. One thing I haaaaate is when they drag out a secret like that for too long.

I also liked that when Gary asked if they were just supposed to pretend nothing happened and have a good day, Rome said that that's exactly how he gets through every single day. I am glad that Rome's depression is going to continue to be a storyline because it's not something that just goes away.

As silly as it was, I liked Eddie putting up Theo's birthday decorations outside of Gary's place.

Awww, poor Gary had a very Chandler Bing-esque reason for hating his birthday and I'm sure that having their friend group implode on this birthday didn't improve matters.

6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm not quick to get close to people either, so I do think it's weird and a "only on TV" thing. But, maybe Maggie is actually just really lonely.

That makes sense, especially since we know that she just moved there recently from Chicago. When you're an adult with an established group of friends, it's easy to forget that it can be difficult to make new friends later in life. It isn't like college where you just walk into a random dorm room and everyone cheerfully welcomes you with beer and pizza. She isn't being a total hermit since she went to the breast cancer support group, but I have no problem imagining that she's meeting people but that she hasn't made any good friends yet. If she has a private practice for her therapy (meaning she rents an office and just sees patients there, as opposed to working at a hospital) she probably is very isolated for most of the day.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, memememe76 said:

This episode was the best of the bunch, and I am totally on Team Grace Park. But I just wonder how she will remain a long term character. She is so isolated from the entire group. 

I think her character was written as a bitch in the Pilot to generate audience animus.  She was less bitchy this episode, a lot more relatable, but not really likeable as a character.  My hunch is, like Gary said, that marriage was pretty much a bust from Day One.

21 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I also liked that when Gary asked if they were just supposed to pretend nothing happened and have a good day, Rome said that that's exactly how he gets through every single day.

As someone familiar with depression, that's how you do it.  When you have a good day, acknowledge it and keep pushing through.  Very realistic scene IMO.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh, I do so hate when people pull that old excuse out. "He/She/Whoever was busy, and I felt alone!" is not a valid reason for cheating! Say it louder, so the cheap seats can hear! IT IS NOT A VALID REASON FOR CHEATING! If you feel like your spouse is neglecting you emotionally, due to work or being everyone's manic pixie dream friend, you talk to them! Tell them what your feeling! Get a marriage counselor! You dont screw around and then act like your so tragic and star crossed! Honestly, did they just think that Delilah would move Eddie right in after kicking Jon out, and everyone would be totally cool with them? Their friends would hate them, their kids would be angry and betrayed (especially the younger kids), and they would spend ages in court in two messy diversities. Not much of a fairy tale. Idiots.

Its not that surprising that Eddies wife has to work so hard, being a part time guitar teacher cant be helping pay the bills on their nice house very much, and he apparently spends most of the rest of the time fucking his best friends wife, so I doubt he contributes much with parenting or helping out in other ways. 

So much word to all of this. If you are having issues in your relationship, the answer is not to sleep with your friend's spouse. Tell your spouse what you need. Give them a chance to address what you think is wrong (they might not have even known about whatever is bothering you!). If you don't see progress within a reasonable amount of time, go to a counselor to see if that helps. And if that doesn't work, consider a separation or divorce. Sleeping with your friend's spouse is not going to fix anything, dumbasses!

ITA about Katherine - no wonder she is up before 7am working in bed before she goes to the office if Eddie's only source of income is giving occasional guitar lessons to kids. Now I'm even more offended on Katherine's behalf that in the first episode, Eddie asked Katherine to pick Theo up from school because he had a guitar lesson (when he was really sneaking off to have sex with Delilah). Your wife is the sole breadwinner working long hours to support your family, pay the mortgage, etc. If you're going to have an affair (and with someone who seems to not work full time either), it seems like the very least you could do is fuck around in the middle of the day when your kids are in school so that your spouse doesn't have to leave work to pick your kid up from school!

I was so glad that Katherine got enough information from the hotel person who called that Eddie wasn't able to wiggle out of trouble with his lie about meeting an old friend for lunch.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 24

So, I watched the first bit of this episode and will have to finish the episode later tonight, but I did get to see the big reveal about the affair and it put a smile on my face. Eddie is definitely the worst kind of guy and he had everything coming to him (and I look forward to more karma biting him in the ass) but David Giuntoli is really selling the role. He's not making Eddie a likable guy. He's intentionally making sure that he's hated right off the bat, I think. I mean, the writing does his character no justice, but Giuntoli's selling the role and embracing the slimy asshole role. I still feel bad for the actor for getting saddled with such a despicable character, but since it's so early in the season, at this point, can he stoop even lower?

Can Eddie be a redeemable character? I'm not sure. He's lost his wife, he got kicked out, I'm pretty sure he's not going to have any friends for a while, and I'm going to bet his guitar teaching business goes down the toilet once everyone starts finding out about his affair with his dead best friend's wife. He's basically very close to hitting rock bottom, all on his own accord. I wonder how many episodes it'll take before he relapses and starts drinking again. It's too early in the series to have him remain the cheating lying asshole so they will have to find a way to redeem Eddie. Hell, they even have to redeem Delilah because she's definitely just as complicit in this affair as he is! I don't know how the group treats Delilah after this yet, but I look forward to seeing her get her comeuppance too.

Yeah, I love Allison Miller but Maggie's starting to really grate on my nerves. She has no problem inserting herself into other people's businesses and she had no issues going with Gary to a funeral after banging him, and she has no issues rifling through his stuff, but when he starts rummaging through hers, she freaks out? Girl, I don't care that you have a bazillion secrets and happen to be running away from your past. 

Katherine, in the little that I got to see of her in this episode, got a whole lot more likable for me. She was definitely 2-dimensional in the pilot, but now she's more sympathetic. I'm looking forward to finishing the episode now. Essentially, Katherine/Eddie were never a functioning couple but it doesn't have much to do with Katherine, but schmoozer Eddie. 

• Love 8

I really enjoyed this episode and am also glad that the cat is out of the bag.

I still don't dislike Eddie, although I abhor what he did. I don't dislike Katherine either. The mystery that I want them to reveal to the viewers, if not to the characters, soon is what is up with the secretary. At least drop some hints that offer some sound speculation.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 10

This episode was better than last weeks for me for three reasons. 1) No kids 2) The affair is out of the bag 3) We got to see Katherine's point of view. 

I think the only way we can like Eddie or Delilah going forward is if they break up. 

After the affair reveal, I liked the men yelling at each other, fighting and ruining the hockey game as opposed to the women who froze each other out and continued working. LOL. Although Delilah did end up yelling and throwing papers around. Girl, please. You did this to yourself. Quit being so dramatic. She's one of those people who goes on the offense when they themselves are the ones who did something wrong.

I didn't think Jon and his assistant were having an affair but after this episode, I'm thinking maybe they were and I kind of hope they were. Although she could just seem shady because we know she hid the note and is doing other shady things behind everyone's back.

• Love 5

My biggest issue with the affair reveal as regards everyone's response was that most of them, including Eddie, spent nary a moment thinking about what this news was doing to Katherine. I get that she's not as intertwined with the group as everyone else is, but they've been friends for years so she has definitely spent time with all of them over the years. So how about a moment or two to be worried about her? Certainly she seems to be someone who plays things pretty close to the chest and is not as free and open with the others in the group, so okay, you're not going to descend on her house to comfort her. But how about sparing her a thought?

As much as I think Delilah was getting a little bit of a pass from the guys, mostly because of Jon's death, she at least did spare a moment to care what Katherine might be going through. Even before she got into the car with Katherine - which I thought was not a great idea, but did show that she was willing to take Katherine's wrath - she had the flashback memory of Katherine trying to return the shirt/scarf? and telling Delilah that she was so sweet when she said it was a gift. That memory gave Delilah pause, clearly, because she knew how bad what she had done was to Katherine. But the rest? Crickets. Even empathetic Maggie didn't make mention of her.

And Eddie? He went to Bruins fantasy camp! Yes Katherine told him to get out, but he couldn't think of anything else to do? Maybe he should have gone to find Delilah to give her a heads up in person rather then leaving her a voicemail? Anything else? But clearly it was more important that his bro-buddies were not mad at him? 

• Love 10

After a quick scan of messages here, I have to agree that this is the best episode so far.  However, I think there were so many problems in the first two episodes that the show has an uphill climb now.

While I am glad that the affair is out of the bag, I still get the feeling that this show is going too fast.  In regards to the affair, though, I think that stems much more from the fact that I don't think the affair should have been revealed to the audience in the first episode.  I think it could have been handled by Nash and the writers (which might just be Nash?  I know he wrote the first two eps, but I didn't catch who wrote this one) far better than it actually was.  Still, I'm glad it's out because now it feels like we can start with the actual story.  I also resent that the affair was taking up so much story real estate when I would have much rather spent time with other characters and their stories.

I now refer to Eddie as the "fucking manchild" in my head.  I really want to like him because David Giuntoli is the reason why I'm even watching this show, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for him at all and, if anything, I think people went too easy on him.  However, at one point I was thinking, "Oh great, they all play hockey and they are friends again...smh!"  And then Gary came out and basically said what I was thinking, so good on the show there.  But, really, I want Eddie and Delilah to really get the treatment over this and as much as I think Eddie escaped a lot of the heat, Delilah seemed to skate right through it and, honestly, I find her even more despicable here.  Eddie has...issues.  We probably don't even know what most of them are...this does NOT excuse his behavior at all.  It does, however, make the affair seem more like a symptom of something larger, which could be interesting to watch play out.  Delilah was a bored housewife.  And, honestly, I don't think she ever saw the affair as anything more than a "my husband isn't paying attention to me so I'm going to show him!"

As for Katherine, I was glad to see that she was not the toxic monster that Eddie tells people she is.  I also really liked the bit when she called Gary on what he was saying about her.  My guess is that Eddie starts with the toxicity and Gary fans the flame because Gary seems to be the sort of person who infuses rather than diffuses a situation.  Anyway, all that being said, I do not think that Grace Park sold it.  I think that her scenes could have played much better.  And, I'm a horrible person for saying this, but...I'm glad.  It makes it easier for me to have sympathy for the character but still have issues with the actress.

But, this speaks to something that I see as a real problem with this show.  I think the guys are great in that they are well-written (well, maybe not Eddie) and very well-performed (yes, all 3 of them).  I do not, however, feel that way about the women.  Other than Maggie (who is a bit messed up), the female characters are all really one-dimensional and, more often than not, the actresses bring nothing to them.  I do think that Allison Miller is a strong actress and we still haven't seen enough of Regina for me to have a feeling about Christina Moses.  But Stephanie Stozak, Christina Ochoa, and now Grace Park just don't seem up to the task here.  Let's face it...this show is targeted at a more female audience, so this just seems so strange to me that the show would be so weak when it came to the women.

Here's another thing that bugged me.  There are many cities in the US that are great cities and have their own thing, but they aren't exactly "iconic" cities in that we expect certain things from a show set in that city.  Boston, however, is one of those cities where even if you've never been to Boston, you expect certain things...and this is the least Boston-like Boston show I've ever seen.  As was discussed in the 1.2 thread, where people live (and get coffee) in relation to the city makes no sense.  No one has a Boston accent (the only person we know is not from Boston is Eddie).  We get some aerials of the real Boston, but the sets look like nothing I've ever seen in Boston.  And, really?  A "subway" stop?  It's called the T!  Also, if this is during the NHL season, the show is set somewhere between October and April and, unless it's really early in October or really late in April, let's just say..that's not Boston.  Not only is everything lush and green but no one seems to be wearing jackets and, well, has anyone from this show actually been to Boston?

Oh, and 35?  Really?  

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

My biggest issue with the affair reveal as regards everyone's response was that most of them, including Eddie, spent nary a moment thinking about what this news was doing to Katherine. I get that she's not as intertwined with the group as everyone else is, but they've been friends for years so she has definitely spent time with all of them over the years. So how about a moment or two to be worried about her? Certainly she seems to be someone who plays things pretty close to the chest and is not as free and open with the others in the group, so okay, you're not going to descend on her house to comfort her. But how about sparing her a thought?

I noticed this too, but I actually think that was intentional.  In the first episode, Katherine made the comment that she knew she wasn't part of the group and that Jon was the one who made her feel like she was.  Gary has made absolutely no secret about what he thinks Katherine, and Katherine knows it and Rome is, at best, silent about it.  Honestly, I think it adds to the betrayal that Eddie chose to have an affair with someone who was already in this club that Katherine could never seem to enter.

22 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

And Eddie? He went to Bruins fantasy camp! Yes Katherine told him to get out, but he couldn't think of anything else to do? Maybe he should have gone to find Delilah to give her a heads up in person rather then leaving her a voicemail? Anything else? But clearly it was more important that his bro-buddies were not mad at him? 

Yes, this was a huge eye-roll to me too.  I tried to figure out why *this* character would do *that* thing and it just didn't make sense.  We know two things about Eddie so far: 1) He's a fucking manchild, and part of that is his propensity to be passive aggressive instead of dealing with conflict head on and 2) While he may not be a wholly dishonest person, he has no problem with dishonesty.  The fact that he'd go head first into the lion's den is giving him far more credit than he deserves.

45 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

After the affair reveal, I liked the men yelling at each other, fighting and ruining the hockey game as opposed to the women who froze each other out and continued working. LOL. Although Delilah did end up yelling and throwing papers around. Girl, please. You did this to yourself. Quit being so dramatic. She's one of those people who goes on the offense when they themselves are the ones who did something wrong.

You know what bugged me about that scene?  It should have been a scene between Delilah and Regina.  I get that Maggie has to be in the middle of absolutely everything, although--to her credit--she did try to excuse herself.  But why the hell was the *secretary* involved in all that?  

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I now refer to Eddie as the "fucking manchild" in my head.  I really want to like him because David Giuntoli is the reason why I'm even watching this show, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for him at all and, if anything, I think people went too easy on him.  However, at one point I was thinking, "Oh great, they all play hockey and they are friends again...smh!"  And then Gary came out and basically said what I was thinking, so good on the show there.  But, really, I want Eddie and Delilah to really get the treatment over this and as much as I think Eddie escaped a lot of the heat, Delilah seemed to skate right through it and, honestly, I find her even more despicable here.  Eddie has...issues.  We probably don't even know what most of them are...this does NOT excuse his behavior at all.  It does, however, make the affair seem more like a symptom of something larger, which could be interesting to watch play out.  Delilah was a bored housewife.  And, honestly, I don't think she ever saw the affair as anything more than a "my husband isn't paying attention to me so I'm going to show him!"

Agreed to an extent. I do think Eddie is starting to get what he deserves and at least people aren't forgiving him or making excuses for him. I think we will see Eddie get a lot of heat thrown on him. Meanwhile, from what I've read up on for the rest of the episode, Delilah seems to be getting more of a pass because her husband killed himself and that's apparently "the biggest punishment of all." I guess it could be somewhat realistic that people don't want to upset the already grieving widow, but seeing as she was cheating on her husband before his death, I think she deserves just as much heat as Eddie does, and I'm afraid she's not going to get it. Eddie and Delilah are both horrible people but Delilah can play the dead husband who killed himself card. Eddie can't play that card to alleviate a bit of the hate directed at him. So, while people will be softer around Delilah when they speak to her, Eddie can be yelled at and castrated and hit, with good reason, but they could also redirect their Delilah hate onto Eddie. Which, you know, annoys me and pisses me off. Characters are still mad at her, but they're not AS mad because Jon killed himself. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Agreed to an extent. I do think Eddie is starting to get what he deserves and at least people aren't forgiving him or making excuses for him. I think we will see Eddie get a lot of heat thrown on him. Meanwhile, from what I've read up on for the rest of the episode, Delilah seems to be getting more of a pass because her husband killed himself and that's apparently "the biggest punishment of all." I guess it could be somewhat realistic that people don't want to upset the already grieving widow, but seeing as she was cheating on her husband before his death, I think she deserves just as much heat as Eddie does, and I'm afraid she's not going to get it. Eddie and Delilah are both horrible people but Delilah can play the dead husband who killed himself card. Eddie can't play that card to alleviate a bit of the hate directed at him. So, while people will be softer around Delilah when they speak to her, Eddie can be yelled at and castrated and hit, with good reason, but they could also redirect their Delilah hate onto Eddie. Which, you know, annoys me and pisses me off. Characters are still mad at her, but they're not AS mad because Jon killed himself. 

I see your point and I will concede that we haven't really seen what Delilah is getting from Regina.  Other than a few lines at the office, we know that Regina isn't even speaking to her right now.  Which...good.  Also, I will grudgingly admit that I can see what Gary might be a little "softer" towards Delilah because he had more time to mull the situation over before seeing her.  I also can see how his approach to Delilah is more because of Jon.  Plus, Gary is still going to be a part of Delilah's life because he is the one that her kids, at least her son, relies upon and, for Jon, Gary is not going to abandon him.

But I still want hell to rain down on both Eddie and Delilah and I guess I'm okay if it comes from someone other than Gary.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think the 'subway' is the t-stop that Regina was talking about earlier in the episode, right?

• Love 3

My problem with the whole reveal was that Gary has been quite judgemental about Eddie's marriage and encouraging him to get out.  He thinks nothing at all of Eddie's wife, has no respect for her, so all of his anger at Eddie is for the disrespect he showed to Jon.  We've been shown so very little of Eddie's marriage, it's really hard for me to think much of Gary's response, especially when he asked Delilah how she could choose Eddie over him. I guess it was supposed to be an attempt at humor, but I thought it was tasteless. 

All of my sympathy this episode was for Katherine.  Maybe she will be shown to be more of the stone-cold bitch that Gary has indicated she is, but until then, she looks like a hard-working wife and mother, who is trying to provide a good life for her family, and who is not getting much support from her husband and his merry band of friends. 

I do wonder what Ashley, the secretary/assistant is really up to.  Did Jon really intend to tie Delilah and Regina together as business partners?  Or did she do this?  Lots of mysteries. 

• Love 16
57 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

My problem with the whole reveal was that Gary has been quite judgemental about Eddie's marriage and encouraging him to get out.  He thinks nothing at all of Eddie's wife, has no respect for her, so all of his anger at Eddie is for the disrespect he showed to Jon.  We've been shown so very little of Eddie's marriage, it's really hard for me to think much of Gary's response, especially when he asked Delilah how she could choose Eddie over him. I guess it was supposed to be an attempt at humor, but I thought it was tasteless. 

Yeah, I thought that was a bizarre comment from Gary.  Of course, earlier in the episode, we got Rome's "friends with benefits" comment, which was really cringe-worthy, was just as bizarre.

57 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

All of my sympathy this episode was for Katherine.  Maybe she will be shown to be more of the stone-cold bitch that Gary has indicated she is, but until then, she looks like a hard-working wife and mother, who is trying to provide a good life for her family, and who is not getting much support from her husband and his merry band of friends. 

At this point, I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to see Katherine as a hard-working wife and mother.  Honestly, on the toxic scale, she is far from the top in this show.  As I said in the spec thread, I am having trouble believing Eddie and Katherine as a couple because I have absolutely no clue what she (or, um, anyone) would see in him.

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I noticed this too, but I actually think that was intentional.  In the first episode, Katherine made the comment that she knew she wasn't part of the group and that Jon was the one who made her feel like she was.  Gary has made absolutely no secret about what he thinks Katherine, and Katherine knows it and Rome is, at best, silent about it.  Honestly, I think it adds to the betrayal that Eddie chose to have an affair with someone who was already in this club that Katherine could never seem to enter.

(yes, quoting myself)....

I rewatched the scene where Katherine goes to Delilah's house and knocks on the door and then we have a flashback to a time when Katherine wanted to return a shirt to Delilah.  I have to say that was an impeccably directed scene (the performances didn't quite live up to the direction, but anyway...).  We have Katherine outside, being friendly to Delilah to the point it almost seemed like she was saying, "please like me!"  and Delilah inside and, when Katherine tries to come closer, Delilah waves her away and doesn't make any move to leave her house.  Then Eddie shows up and, instead of going to greet his wife, he stays inside with Delilah.  I think those 60 seconds or so showed us exactly what Katherine's life was like in relation to her husband and their social circle up to the point that she realizes he has been betraying her.

I wish we would get more of Rome.  We have a lot about Gary, which is great, and we have a lot about Eddie, probably too much, but so far all we know is Rome is depressed.  He also seems to be the one who is the peacekeeper between everyone.   That is a lot of stress for anyone to take one and I can see how it either feeds into or is a result of his depression, but I'd like to see that developed.

ETA: Am I the only one who feels like they are trying to pull a Grey's Anatomy with the music?  In a show that is so derivative of other things, this just seems like one more thing.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

You know what bugged me about that scene?  It should have been a scene between Delilah and Regina.  I get that Maggie has to be in the middle of absolutely everything, although--to her credit--she did try to excuse herself.  But why the hell was the *secretary* involved in all that?  

That bugged the hell out of me too. Ashley seems super shady.

• Love 2

I agree 100% with everyone about the cheating. My ex-husband did not physically cheat but did emotionally at the end of our marriage. And instead of having the balls to come forward and say he was unhappy and wanted a divorce he put me through hell instead. So no sympathy for them getting outed. If your marriage is so troubled you want to cheat then get out of it - period.

Love James Roday in "Psych"; really love seeing his serious acting side in this mixed with humor. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I really hope the writers have a plan to deal with the massive disconnect between Katherine’s action and the way she is treated by the others. It is really making her more sympathetic and the others more unlikable. 

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Was this the first episode with the trigger warning screen at the beginning, or have they all had that?

They've all had it.

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Can Eddie be a redeemable character? I'm not sure.

It's TV. People have done far worse in TV-land and been redeemed. Whether or not you and I find his redemption acceptable/ believable is another story, but if the show lasts long enough, I'd be shocked if he's not eventually "redeemed."

7 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

Even before she got into the car with Katherine - which I thought was not a great idea, but did show that she was willing to take Katherine's wrath - she had the flashback memory of Katherine trying to return the shirt/scarf? and telling Delilah that she was so sweet when she said it was a gift. That memory gave Delilah pause, clearly, because she knew how bad what she had done was to Katherine.

I could be wrong, but I thought the memory was Katherine's, and she was kind of feeling foolish for not realizing Eddie wasn't there for the innocent (guitar lesson) reason. I thought she was knocking on the door in real time, then we get the flashback, and then we're back in the present with Katherine standing in the driveway because Delilah wasn't home. Presumably she waited in the car, and Delilah then joined her there in the later scene, after returning from Jon's office. (Theo's swim lesson must have been really long...)

7 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

But, this speaks to something that I see as a real problem with this show.  I think the guys are great in that they are well-written (well, maybe not Eddie) and very well-performed (yes, all 3 of them).  I do not, however, feel that way about the women.

So much this! The women are underdeveloped... I can't even comment on the acting for most of them (though I agree Delilah comes across as not particularly well acted) because we just haven't seen enough of them, and the writing for their scenes pales in comparison to the guys.

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

it's really hard for me to think much of Gary's response, especially when he asked Delilah how she could choose Eddie over him. I guess it was supposed to be an attempt at humor, but I thought it was tasteless. 

I thought that line was pretty "Gary"-- he's already shown a penchant for inappropriate humor. I thought his cringiest line from that scene was saying that Jon had been "enough for him" in response to Delilah... Dude, seriously? A) Marriage and friendship are too totally different things, and B) it's not like Jon was his only friend, so the comparison didn't work on any level.

Other than that, Gary continues to be my favorite. I enjoyed him talking to the panda, and his this-is-not-a-sports-movie smackdown to Eddie.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the memory was Katherine's, and she was kind of feeling foolish for not realizing Eddie wasn't there for the innocent (guitar lesson) reason. I thought she was knocking on the door in real time, then we get the flashback, and then we're back in the present with Katherine standing in the driveway because Delilah wasn't home. Presumably she waited in the car, and Delilah then joined her there in the later scene, after returning from Jon's office. (Theo's swim lesson must have been really long...)

Yes, that memory was Katherine's...and I think it was the best scene of the episode (although it could have been better.  It was frustrating to watch a fantastic scene be brought down to just "really good" because neither actress could really sell it).

• Love 4
20 hours ago, francie202 said:

Things are finally getting interesting. 

Loved Gary and his hurt/anger over the affair up until he asked Delilah if he should be upset that she picked Eddie over him. Really, Gary? Don’t go easy on her.

Grace Park — wow. She may have made me tear up a little during that car scene. 

Delilah, you should’ve tried to find that love again with Jon, not one of his best friends. Idiot. She and Eddie are the worst. I absolutely cannot sympathize with them. 

I agree about the Maggy friendship — totally creepy how she’s been brought so intimately into their fold so quickly. 

What bothered me, aside from Gary going to see Delilah, and asking if he should be upset, was that he was so casual about Eddie cheating on his wife, when he didn't know who the mistress was. Of course, she turns out to be a lovely woman, totally disrespected by his friends, because they don't seem to know her that well.

8 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I liked that, too. I thought the same thing, and laughed, because that's what I can imagine happening IRL. 

6 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I do wonder what Ashley, the secretary/assistant is really up to.  Did Jon really intend to tie Delilah and Regina together as business partners?  Or did she do this?  Lots of mysteries. 

I've just said the same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone. I've dealt with this myself, not through a husband, but family - extended family who don't know me that well. Secrets being kept, too. It hurts so much when you find out certain things, I can't imagine experiencing the betrayal of a spouse. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Anela said:

What bothered me, aside from Gary going to see Delilah, and asking if he should be upset, was that he was so casual about Eddie cheating on his wife, when he didn't know who the mistress was. Of course, she turns out to be a lovely woman, totally disrespected by his friends, because they don't seem to know her that well.

I caught that on a second viewing...Gary was all for Eddie cheating on his wife when he didn't know who the mistress was.  I guess the argument is that what Gary is really upset about is not that Eddie cheated, but that Eddie betrayed Jon.  Apparently, he'd be okay if Eddie betrayed the proctologist at the end of the street if that were the case.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I caught that on a second viewing...Gary was all for Eddie cheating on his wife when he didn't know who the mistress was.  I guess the argument is that what Gary is really upset about is not that Eddie cheated, but that Eddie betrayed Jon.  Apparently, he'd be okay if Eddie betrayed the proctologist at the end of the street if that were the case.

I was just coming back to say that I thought it was the same way with the women: they wanted to know how Delilah could do that to Jon. Delilah seems to be the only one who thought about Katherine. I thought, "Ooh, brave" when she got into her car. Not admiring her, but getting into that small space with the wife of your cheating partner. 

We also have to find something out about Jon, because they're building him up so much. I'll be surprised if they let him remain just a great guy, who worked hard to support his family. Although I get tired of little mysteries and possible red herrings, too. There's enough drama with his suicide, and the affair. Why throw in a secretary who seems to be up to no good? Unless he was murdered.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Here's another thing that bugged me.  There are many cities in the US that are great cities and have their own thing, but they aren't exactly "iconic" cities in that we expect certain things from a show set in that city.  Boston, however, is one of those cities where even if you've never been to Boston, you expect certain things...and this is the least Boston-like Boston show I've ever seen.  As was discussed in the 1.2 thread, where people live (and get coffee) in relation to the city makes no sense.  No one has a Boston accent (the only person we know is not from Boston is Eddie).  We get some aerials of the real Boston, but the sets look like nothing I've ever seen in Boston.  And, really?  A "subway" stop?  It's called the T!  Also, if this is during the NHL season, the show is set somewhere between October and April and, unless it's really early in October or really late in April, let's just say..that's not Boston.  Not only is everything lush and green but no one seems to be wearing jackets and, well, has anyone from this show actually been to Boston?

Oh, and 35?  Really?  

Okay, I still stand by the non-Bostonness of this show BUT...I'm rewatching the pilot and noticed in the church at the funeral that it is Lent.  So, I guess it could be April in the show.  Now I guess just have to wait and see if Christmas shows up in a couple of months..heh heh.

30 minutes ago, Anela said:

We also have to find something out about Jon, because they're building him up so much. I'll be surprised if they let him remain just a great guy, who worked hard to support his family. Although I get tired of little mysteries and possible red herrings, too. There's enough drama with his suicide, and the affair. Why throw in a secretary who seems to be up to no good? Unless he was murdered.

I feel like I should care more about what Ashley is doing.  The truth is that I just don't care at all.  It all seems so superfluous and as if it is trying to add an element that the show really doesn't need.  I could not see Ashley again and be perfectly happy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Good point. I completely missed that there was absolutely no outrage over Eddie cheating initially. Gary's absolute disdain for Katherine feels so out of proportion to what we have seen of her and his really making me dislike him.

22 hours ago, AllyCat said:

I know the actress that plays Delilah is French, but it’s driving me crazy that Delilah seems to keep slipping in and out of the accent.  Is her character supposed to have an accent or not?  Is she just doing a bad job trying to hide it?

Yeah that bugs me too. I found it worse in the first episode. I think she is doing a bad job at hiding it as it seems worse when the scene is emotional or she is sort of whispering.

• Love 2

I very much agree with everyone regarding how I am losing sympathy with the whole group. I am totally on Katherine's side. Well, I am not mad at Maggie. Have they even talked to each other?

I think Delilah's reaction to her husband's suicide is not particular realistic. It is overshadowed to how This is Us is portraying how a wife is responding to the death of her husband. It comes off shallow here.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I very much agree with everyone regarding how I am losing sympathy with the whole group. I am totally on Katherine's side. Well, I am not mad at Maggie. Have they even talked to each other?

I think Delilah's reaction to her husband's suicide is not particular realistic. It is overshadowed to how This is Us is portraying how a wife is responding to the death of her husband. It comes off shallow here.

As far as I know, Maggie and Katherine haven't even met.  We've also not seen Regina and Katherine together, so I'm excusing Regina from all this as well.

There has not been a moment in this entire show when I thought Delilah's reaction was realistic.  Granted, it could come out that there was more wrong with their marriage than him working too much, but right now none of it rings true.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if the stuff Ashley hid included an explanation from Jon, about why he killed himself. Is that reveal going to be the season finale? I really don't want them to drag it out. I liked what Rome said about how things happen all the time without people killing themselves. It doesn't justify what Eddie and Delilah did, but it's true.

I'm glad that someone finally said that out loud. It doesn't excuse the affair in any way, but to pin Jon's suicide on it is wrong. 

• Love 1

Excellent episode, and i think it was really well-acted by the whole cast.

Yes I definitely have sympathy for Katherine now. But as someone else said, I still don't hate Eddie, or Delilah.  I haven't lost sympathy for anyone else either though. What I'm seeing is a bunch of flawed human beings making mistakes. People need to own their shit, absolutely, and I see Eddie and Delilah paying for their transgressions, and I'm sure they will continue to pay.

I didn't see Gary visiting Delilah coming, that was interesting. He obviously had Jon on a pedestal. Sorry Gary, he was just a man, not a god, not perfect.

100% agree with those that said if you are unhappy in your marriage, the FIRST thing you should do is TELL YOUR PARTNER! If you tell your spouse your feelings and they ignore you or refuse to work on the marriage, then get a divorce - but give them the opportunity to make things better. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Gothish520 said:

100% agree with those that said if you are unhappy in your marriage, the FIRST thing you should do is TELL YOUR PARTNER! If you tell your spouse your feelings and they ignore you or refuse to work on the marriage, then get a divorce - but give them the opportunity to make things better. 

I agree with this 100%, but I actually don't think that Eddie was unhappy in his marriage--or at least that it wasn't his marriage that was making him unhappy.  He reminds me of a friend of mine, who I love dearly but is someone who always has to have a villain.  As long as there is someone "bad" out there, she doesn't have to take any responsibility for her own discontent.  That's what I see in Eddie.  I get that it is hard when one spouse works long hours (I know that from personal experience), but it is what it is.  In the pre-revelation interactions we've seen between Eddie and Katherine, we have Katherine being distractedly irritated with other forces, but otherwise fine with her husband. 

I also get the feeling that the work balance in their relationship is a bit skewed.  While Katherine works long hours and has a demanding job, she still seems to be the one who frequently picks up their son from school, swimming lessons, etc while Eddie "teaches guitar."  Eddie has the stay-at-home label, Katherine still seems to be doing much of the parenting.  In short, it sounds like Eddie has a pretty sweet deal going there.  But, that doesn't change the fact that he's not a rock star.  That, of course, is not Katherine's fault...but it is easier for Eddie to blame that on her than it is for him to admit that he couldn't make it as a performer.

So, I guess this is all a long-winded way of saying that maybe the reason Eddie never talked to Katherine about his unhappiness is that, to do so, he'd have to admit that she wasn't wholly responsible for it.

From the other side, I do hope we get a bit more insight into what was making Delilah unhappy because right now she's just an opportunistic bored housewife.

• Love 7

I have to agree that I love that the affair came out so quickly.  I also love the way the scene played out.  Katherine is my new favorite.  She is such a goddamn lawyer and I love her for it!  She calmly let Eddie spin out his lie and then hit him with the facts that she already knew.  Room 312 indeed.  Ha!!

I almost wanted to be sorry for Eddie when it came out, but then I just laughed my ass off.  And that poor limo driver had to cool his heels while they had their little drama.  Dude just wanted to drive them to Hockey camp!

I am having a hard time liking Delilah.  Even outside of the affair.  But her reasons for the affair are so shallow and I just don't find her sympathetic at all.   And as much as I am not a big fan of Eddie's, I hate that he is the one getting all the flack an she's getting treated more delicately because she's the widow.  It takes two to tango.

And I have to giggle imagining the scene that happened while Delilah was in the bathroom doing the face-wash of despair and Regina called Rome:

Regina: "Hi honey, how's Hockey camp going?  You guys having fun?"

Rome: "Hockey camp, Shmockey camp!  Delilah and Eddie are having an affair.  Katherine found out and she pissed.  Jon probably knew!"

Regina either had to have had the phone on speaker so Ashley and Maggie heard the same way she did.  Or she immediately dropped dime, which, would be kind fucked up because of course the first thing you do when you find out your BFF is having an affair with a man who is her husband's BFF, is to tell her husband's secretary and some new chick y'all just met a week ago.  Yeah, the writing for the women kinda sucks.  

Wondering about Jon's place of work.  Is that his own business and if so,  is it a two man show with just him and Ashley because I have not seen any other employees.  Also, if that in the case, how is business still happening now that he is dead?  Is Delilah just letting Ashley handle stuff?  Does he not have a lawyer who is handling his estate?  At some point, business is going to stop happening if Jon isn't there wheeling deals, so does Ashley just keep showing up to the office?

• Love 13