Type keyword(s) to search

Favourite Buffy Youtube vids?

• Start Topic

(edited)

A little bit of wonderful malice I've discovered, courtesy of spotlightjrt.  (Song by Voltaire)

Amazing how much he can still make me hate him, even in a "fun" vid.  Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly…rat bastards gotta rat bastard, I suppose.  Sigh. 😞

ETA:  Because I love this show so much more than I do Angel, sometimes I forget that I don't watch Eternity nearly as often as I should.  (To the point where I wrote "Expecting" here, originally.  Which is a very different thing.)  Angel at his "best", even via dubious methods, and Cordy and Wes get to be the heroes. Happy sigh…

Edited by Halting Hex

Is Mark in fact gay?  The new guy (in the middle of that picture) certainly pings, and Sebastian (on the left) I'm unsure of, but I wasn't getting those vibes from Mark.  But of course a "gaydar" is never 100% certain.

I watched their vid for NKAB after skipping the previous two, and there were things to recommend it.  For one thing, although Sebastian continues to flash his thunder-thighs at us, at least the new guy's bike shorts go down to kneecap level, sparing us a double-dose.  And Mark was nicely surprised by the reveal of the Anointed at episode's end.  And Sebastian isn't doing such a thorough job of "helping" with the spoilery details (I'm also unsure how much he properly knows), although in their vid for The Pack, Mark and I-don't-know-his-name spoke of "punishing" Sebastian if he kept spoiling, so clearly he's not entirely cured as yet.  And there was an amusing discussion as to why they're not as attractive as "Americans".  (I'm not sure they understand that The WB was not exactly realistic in its casting.)  New Boy's two theories were that Americans get to pick out their own clothes (ah, the curse of school uniforms) and that we go outside.  Sorry, fellows, I can't cure the UK weather. So overall, it was enjoyable.

Except…they're still watching the horrible "remaster" (via Amazon UK; Hulu isn't available on that side of the Pond, it seems) and I.Just.Can't. with that.  We didn't see the end of the cafeteria scene (where Buffy punctuates her triumph over Cordelia by putting her tray on top of Cordy's food), so we missed what I saw in TPN's critique of the remaster, namely that the cropping is pushed in to get the "16x9" shot so that you don't see the table or the trays, and all you have is Cordelia looking downwards and frowning at who-knows-what?  (For all you could tell, the snakes from IOHEFY might be making an early debut…)

But Mark did include the end of the first Owen scene in the Library, climaxing in Buffy asking Giles, "does this dress make me look fat?"  Well, to paraphrase Sunday, it doesn't make you look anything, Buffy.  Because we can't see the dress, since the frame is so pushed in that all we see is Giles from the chest up and Buffy's head and nothing more.  The whole damn remaster is nothing more than a bunch of heads (often missing the tops or the chins) floating around, which might make for an interesting supernatural story, but just makes watching the videos a chore.

Even if I was interested in Sebastian's thighs.  (Put some trousers on, Seb!  Sheesh.)

Are you only just now discovering Steven G., there, or have you just decided to publicize him?

He's just finished a two-part BB&B reaction (loved the episode, possibly his favorite) on YouTube.  (He's apparently well ahead on Patreon, but I don't pay for those.)  So we're watching Xander and Cordelia stroll off, all "If it helps, whenever we're around [the ex-Cordettes], we can argue a lot" and the bliss is spreading and…

…then, for the first time ever, Steven intercuts a "next episode" preview…and it's Angel chasing Jenny through the halls…

…and then, just as abruptly, we're back to X/C on a sunlit day at the school, the happy music playing them off into the end credits.  Ugh!  That's just mean.

Which I almost admire, but even so.

2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Are you only just now discovering Steven G., there, or have you just decided to publicize him?

He's just finished a two-part BB&B reaction (loved the episode, possibly his favorite) on YouTube.  (He's apparently well ahead on Patreon, but I don't pay for those.)  So we're watching Xander and Cordelia stroll off, all "If it helps, whenever we're around [the ex-Cordettes], we can argue a lot" and the bliss is spreading and…

…then, for the first time ever, Steven intercuts a "next episode" preview…and it's Angel chasing Jenny through the halls…

…and then, just as abruptly, we're back to X/C on a sunlit day at the school, the happy music playing them off into the end credits.  Ugh!  That's just mean.

Which I almost admire, but even so.

Just discovered it and watched that very ep, my favourite and the one which made me a fan. 

(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, Halting Hex said:

A little bit of wonderful malice I've discovered, courtesy of spotlightjrt

And if you like Angel (particularly when he's evil), apparently spotlightjrt is your (wo?)man.  Several other similar vids, also well-done.  Much of a muchness, so I won't post them here, but you know how to search YouTube, I'm sure.

I do want to point out that the vid which is specifically BAngel(us) is set to "Fix You" and I don't know if Angel's ever done anything as evil as making people listen to Coldplay, so…

(Okay, okay, I exaggerate.  I mean, at least it's not the annoying whine-drone [whone? drine?] that was "The Scientist".  I still twitch thinking of all the "clever" people back in '03 who thought that "back to the staaaart…" shit was just made for a series retrospective vid. Ugh.  I mean, it's not hard to pick a good Coldplay song, given that they've only got one. Sheesh.)

Edited by Halting Hex

Outtakes/behind the scenes. Not "favourite" video in the strictest sense of the word, but some parts are pretty fun to watch. Like Nick/Aly/Emma dance on the set of Dead Things which IMO is more interesting than what actually appears in the episode.

So I finally got around to uploading a video on Vimeo (heh), in order to bring it over here, and I took a look and then noticed the vidder's website address and the end…and what do you know, the site may be eight years' neglected, but it's still up.  So really, I could have just linked to it there.  Oh, well.

Anyhow, here is "Ordinary", by Pipsqueak.  Set to Paula Cole's "I Am So Ordinary", S1-S2 vid where Xander ignores Willow for Buffy, for Ampata, and for Cordelia…and Willow dies inside a little bit more, every time.  "For the broken-hearted teenage girl in all of us", Pipsqueak says.  

(Which really shouldn't apply to me, given the number on that birthday I just had.  And yet…)

"I tell myself that love is truly giving…"

Okay, let's be fair.  Let's get those Xillow-tears flowing in the other direction, too.  I told you Xandra was awesome, right?

"One Thing", to the song by Finger Eleven.  Xander wonders if he's ruined his life, if everything is so empty and hollow because he doesn't have Willow, and what things would be like if he'd dared anything for his "one thing".  (Warning:  7.18 grossness late in the vid, but it's necessary for the 7.19 that follows.)

"Restless tonight, 'cause I wasted the light…"

(edited)
5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Okay, let's be fair.  Let's get those Xillow-tears flowing in the other direction, too.  I told you Xandra was awesome, right?

"One Thing", to the song by Finger Eleven.  Xander wonders if he's ruined his life, if everything is so empty and hollow because he doesn't have Willow, and what things would be like if he'd dared anything for his "one thing".  (Warning:  7.18 grossness late in the vid, but it's necessary for the 7.19 that follows.)

"Restless tonight, 'cause I wasted the light…"

Any chance of doing Tom Petty's Free Falling, the lyrics are perfect for Buffy?

ASR in doing Chosen in a little over 5 hours time so see everyone there. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvE2ptzGJ8zGp5f0JvfJcMQ

Edited by Joe Hellandback
adding link

Okay, so my previous attempts at posting some of my favorite music videos were met with stony silence.  (Or possibly shock and horror; I'm not sure which.)  But will that stop me?

Of course not!  Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  No!  So there!

Perhaps the problem was that Xillow-angst was too much of a downer?  Fine, have some comedy then.  Ringwench uses clips from S3-6 for Weird Al Yankovic's mocking of astrology, "Your Horoscope". 

(You wouldn't think the bleak and dreary S6 would work here, but it's okay.  And god, Xander's pajamas from OMwF!  Did they mix up Nick's measurements with a hippo's or something?  He's wearing a tent, I swear…)

• Love 1

Fair enough.  (I'm tempted to post more, in an "oh, yeah?" mood, but let's broaden the scope, instead.)

When it comes to angst, nobody can really beat the queen, Ms. Buffy, herself.  Let's watch her suffer through the Angelus arc (with some coda notes from S3), as her beloved Forehead steps all over her heart, to the sounds of Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn", courtesy of our old friend, starryeyesxx1.

Since it's quite possible that the "torn" in the song isn't only about Imbruglia's heart, but her hymen as well, it's only appropriate for a song about Buffy dealing with the consequences of That Fateful First Time.

(I really often fail to emphasize how much I hate Angel.  I mean, Spike's a goddamn gnat.  I resent the hell what the show did to itself to push Spike, but Angel does more damage to Buffy, to Jenny, to Giles, to Cordelia, to Wesley, and even to Fred [who had it better as a "cow", ultimately] than Sparky did to anyone.  I'd even argue he was a net plus in Dawn's life, FFS.  But this bastard…

Ahem. Anyhow, the vid.)

• Love 1

Wow, I never saw that one!  Thanks.

I guess it was an obvious idea to hold it back for Smidge's hosting the show, but I thought the attempt to work Buffy into it was the weakest part.  Couldn't really follow the logic of her interacting with the vamps that way.  But otherwise good.

What's most surprising is that they used actual show footage of the Master and Darla.  You'd think there would be an issue about that, especially as it's an entirely different network.  Huh.

(edited)

Adam Schlesinger, the main man in Fountains of Wayne, went cold from COVID at the annoyingly -repetitive age of 52.  (See Luke Perry, Rob des Hotel previously.)  Their big hit has been vidded a couple of times, in ways that seem likely to please a couple of our regulars.  Here's Xandra's treatment:

(Wrong vimeo account.  Uggh.  Will return later and fix things.)

(Speaking of Rob des Hotel, Man with a Plan is back for S4, now with Kali Rocha on regular status.  My God, has Matt LeBlanc gotten fat or what?)

Edited by Halting Hex
On 4/5/2020 at 1:53 AM, Halting Hex said:

Adam Schlesinger, the main man in Fountains of Wayne, went cold from COVID at the annoyingly -repetitive age of 52.  (See Luke Perry, Rob des Hotel previously.)  Their big hit has been vidded a couple of times, in ways that seem likely to please a couple of our regulars.  Here's Xandra's treatment:

(Wrong vimeo account.  Uggh.  Will return later and fix things.)

(Speaking of Rob des Hotel, Man with a Plan is back for S4, now with Kali Rocha on regular status.  My God, has Matt LeBlanc gotten fat or what?)

I remember SMG saying she really liked FofW. Like to see the vid, is it Joyce centric by any chance?

I recently stumbled on a great Buffy reactor on YouTube called Cult TV Sofa. He needs viewers and deserves viewers because he's really good with his thoughts and his analysis but you all know how the YouTube algorithm squashes new channels. He's only on Season 3 and intends to start Angel when he's done with Buffy season 3.

He's definitely worth a watch! I hate that what we are exposed to depends on a stupid algorithm, but word of mouth helps so hopefully he'll get some new viewers.