Type keyword(s) to search

S02:E02 Middle Ground

• Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Ohmo said:

Talking to Lim away from her parents was supposed to give Mara the opportunity to make her own decision----whatever it might turn out to be.  However, in the end, another person other than Mara made a choice for Mara.

I told my husband when we were watching, notice that the scene cut right after Mara said she just wanted to rest, then we see Dr. Lim turn her IV back on?  Perhaps before Mara nodded back off, Dr. Lim asked her again while she was all doped up, and Mara half-ass-agreed to it...?  That would at least explain why Mara was all "wink-wink-okay with it" when she woke up and noticed her cheek hurt.  That's the theory I am going with to make myself at peace with it, at least.  Otherwise, I find it hard to suspend disbelief that Mara would have just shrugged off something like that, even if it is, deep down, what she actually wanted, but was too afraid to admit. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, kicotan said:

I agree.

Plus, her equating having a functioning clitoris, (which may or may not give her sexual pleasure after everything she’s been through) to experiencing “love” made me throw up in my mouth a little... so yeah that storyline left a bad taste in my mouth.

I know!  I actually said "Eww!" out loud when she said that. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, auntiemel said:

Lea strikes me as the kind of girl who has been able to get away with a lot of bad behavior in life with her "Tee hee hee, look how adorable I am," attitude. Like, she's cast herself in the role of Manic Pixie Dream Girl and doesn't realize her life is not an indie movie. Shaun might be one of the first people she's encountered to call her on her bullshit. Which could end up being good for both of them, provided she takes it to heart.

ETA: For example, who the fuck just shows up at a hospital and expects a surgeon - especially one in training - to have time right at that moment to go to lunch with them? "I do not have time," would have been one of the kinder things I might have said to a person who did that. But I just get the feeling that she thinks a cloud of glitter follows her everywhere she goes.

I love and agree with your post 100% ^^

I thought it was rather odd for the social worker to ask the patient/her client about the surgery in front of the girl's abusers/parents. Like she would ever go against them when she snuck off to the hospital for a surgery in secret! 

Also disappointed in Lim for going ahead with the surgery despite the girl saying no. Deep down she probably wanted it, but she still did not give consent. If Lim really had the girl's best interest at heart (and not feel like she was the only one capable of making the right decision), then she could have pointed out how the girl's parents would never even have to know about her changing her mind during their private conversation. That way the girl could have made a truly informed decision.

Enjoyed all the different thoughts on Leah and Shaun's relationship/reactions in the thread.

ETA:

While I agree with the comments about Leah's unreasonable expectation that Shaun can just have lunch with her while he's working, I have to be fair to her and say they do it in pretty much every other TV show! In TV land lots of things, like dropping by unannounced at someone's place of work, seems very normal and acceptable.

Edited by Efzee
4 hours ago, Efzee said:

I thought it was rather odd for the social worker to ask the patient/her client about the surgery in front of the girl's abusers/parents. Like she would ever go against them when she snuck off to the hospital for a surgery in secret! 

[snip]

If Lim really had the girl's best interest at heart (and not feel like she was the only one capable of making the right decision), then she could have pointed out how the girl's parents would never even have to know about her changing her mind during their private conversation. That way the girl could have made a truly informed decision.

This is an excellent point. The show is really being lazy and taking shortcuts that undercut common sense.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, kicotan said:

Plus, her equating having a functioning clitoris, (which may or may not give her sexual pleasure after everything she’s been through) to experiencing “love” made me throw up in my mouth a little... so yeah that storyline left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well they could hardly have her say "You'll [euphemism for orgasm] when you [euphemism for having sex]!"

Edited by jhlipton
On 10/9/2018 at 1:13 AM, jhlipton said:

Shaun would hate House.  He doesn't "get" sarcasm, which is House's favorite mode of conversation, bar none, and would only see him as an arrogant asshat (and would be totally right).  I doubt that House would have the patience to deal with Shaun on a regular basis.

Maybe. Maybe not. House would probably appreciate Shaun's intelligence and gift for practicing medicine, and much of House's gruff would probably blow past Shaun, who would see that House is often right and often does the right thing, even though no one around him thinks so at the time.

ON 10/3/2018 AT 3:15 PM,  KICOTAN SAID: 

While I had complete and total sympathy for the teen girl, I was particularly offended when Dr. Lim equated the ability to have sex with the ability to experience love when the girl's mother was apparently able to love the girl's father, despite going through the same experience. I don't mean that I think that female circumcision is a good thing, not at all, but I felt that Dr. Lim was imposing her values on them.

Dr. Lim could have advised more strongly that the girl wait until she was 18 and could have the surgery without parental permission.  Her parents did not seem to be pushing her into an early marriage, unless I missed a line.

Lim is pretty consistently a jerk this season. The show seems to feel like they need at least one character to be obnoxious at all times. As Melendez went from skeptic to supporter of Shaun, and Resnick is getting at least a little bit less antagonistic, they're now making Lim the one whose ego is out of control.