Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02 A Philadelphia Story

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Also, wouldn't Deja be in a junior high and not elementary school?  

It was posted earlier that Alpine, NJ has one public primary school and it’s K-8, so that was oddly accurate for this show.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2018 at 4:01 AM, himela said:

I don't consider Kate that mature. In fact I am sure that whatever she does in her life is to provr to her mother that she can do these things despite her weight. I bet she knows that her insisting on having a baby of her own putting her life in danger is wrong but she doesn't want to accept that her mother could be right that her weight is indeed a problem. Her mother had everything, a loving husband and her own kids, that's her competition and that's what she is trying to achieve. I think that if Toby could talk to her in a simple and sensitive way, she would realize she doesn't need to do that to prove anything to anyone and she can be totally happy with an adopted child. 

So Kate is a less obnoxious version of Whitney Way Thore? "I can do anything I want despite being super morbidly obese!" 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Why, in your opinion, did Kate say that she, through a future child, would be the only one to carry on Jack's legacy?  When Kevin looked offended, she said something that implied that she thought he wouldn't be having kids.  What do you think she meant with respect to Randall? 

I can't answer a "why" question about something that didn't happen.  Kate did not say she would be the only one to carry on Jack's legacy.  She didn't say that because she knows full well that a man's legacy consists of all sorts of things he has shared with his family and friends from the special moments he has spent with them, the things he has taught his children the traditions he has passed on and the example he has set for them.  Randall, Kevin and Kate are all carrying on Jack's legacy.  We see that in episode after episode, probably more so with Randall than any of them and Kate must see that, too.

What Kate did say was that she thought she was the only one who could pass on "a piece," of Jack.  She wasn't talking about Legacy but biology and she thought Kevin probably wasn't planning on having children.  She didn't mean anything at all with respect to Randall because unlike herself and Kevin, he does not carry Jack's genetic material.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Colleenna said:

So Kate is a less obnoxious version of Whitney Way Thore? "I can do anything I want despite being super morbidly obese!" 

She can think that if she wants as long as she stops blaming the universe or her mother when things don’t turn out the way she wants them too.

And then she adds all of this selfish, diva crap, too: I’m the only one who can pass on a piece of dad, I’m going to spit in the face of the friends who planned a birthday party for me by monologuing about wanting a baby. Waa-waa-wah!

I did like the scene in the bathroom with Kate and Rebecca. It was one of the few genuinely warm conversations they’ve ever shared. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 5
On 10/3/2018 at 5:32 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That Was Us:

I didn’t realize that Melanie Liburd, the actress who plays Zoe, is British. If someone else mentioned that, I missed it. 

I hope Zoe doesn’t break Kevin’s heart. He seems really happy when she’s around. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I can't answer a "why" question about something that didn't happen.  Kate did not say she would be the only one to carry on Jack's legacy.  She didn't say that because she knows full well that a man's legacy consists of all sorts of things he has shared with his family and friends from the special moments he has spent with them, the things he has taught his children the traditions he has passed on and the example he has set for them.  Randall, Kevin and Kate are all carrying on Jack's legacy.  We see that in episode after episode, probably more so with Randall than any of them and Kate must see that, too.

What Kate did say was that she thought she was the only one who could pass on "a piece," of Jack.  She wasn't talking about Legacy but biology and she thought Kevin probably wasn't planning on having children.  She didn't mean anything at all with respect to Randall because unlike herself and Kevin, he does not carry Jack's genetic material.

I agree that she said "piece", not "legacy", referring to genetic material, and I know that she didn't say it in front of Randall, but I also think that that kind of reasoning could be upsetting to an adopted sibling. If a parent had some rare trait that had a genetic component, like perfect pitch or extra toes, and she was referencing that, then what she said should not bother Randall. Otherwise, I understand why that would bug him, even though I am not an adoptee or closely related to one. 

• Love 1

Something I hadn’t seen mentioned up thread. At the NA meeting William was stating he had been clean/sober 5yrs, then ChiChi showed up with her daughter who is now 12, so we had 17years of sober William before Randall showed up (at best). It was a small moment but I think it’s good that the show didn’t portray William as getting that second chance (when Randall was a baby) and becoming a Saint after that, never struggling with relapsing. Also I do respect William for realizing his struggle with addiction was a lot and choosing not to have more children because he couldn’t care for them properly.(not saying addicts in recovery can never have kids!)

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3

Catching up, but...

Dear Kate,

Please go fuck yourself with the cross you've strapped yourself to.

Love, your brothers

No, but seriously, she's the worst.  While I did enjoy Toby's yelling some truth at Rebecca, Kate absolutely went looking for that fight so that she could be the world's biggest, most aggrieved martyr again, some more.  Her comment about being the "only one" who could pass on a piece of Jack?  Fuck you.  I know, Kate, you're the only one who really knew Jack, the only one he understood, the one he loved the most.  Except that he didn't.  He loved you the same amount he loved your brothers, and Randall is passing on plenty of him to Tess and Annie (your nieces, in case you forgot, whom you totally slammed, which neither I nor, I would imagine, Randall will forgive anytime soon).  Moreover, Kevin is likely to pass on plenty if and when he chooses to have kids (just witness how good he is with his nieces, whom he does know exist and whom he obviously adores), so please get off your high horse.  If you are lucky enough to have any kids, do you know whom you'll pass on plenty of?  Rebecca.  I love Rebecca, but you basically think she's the cause of all your problems (she isn't, in case you were wondering), and that means you're going to mirror all of those qualities you detest while you're parenting your own child.  So, I'm sorrynotsorry to break it to you, but you are the one of the three of you who will pass on the least of Jack.  Bye, girl.

• Love 8

I loved the all-too-brief scene of Kate and Toby getting flirty in the Lyft.   This show needs more fun!   And we get way too little of it.   I did burst out laughing when Toby blurted out "I'm a heroin addict!"  

OMG, the precious little face on Baby Sky in the William / ChiChi flashback!

It wasn't the time or place, but it's a little too bad that Toby stopped the Rebecca / Kate argument.  Honestly, these two need to just have it out already.  Rebecca was just about to voice her frustration over (a) probably feeling guilty that she didn't do more to help guide Kate before her weight got completely out of control, but (b) now feeling like she's never allowed to say anything, even when she's genuinely worried for Kate's health.    Which is not to say Kate isn't justified in feeling totally hurt whenever her weight is focused on.  Or that Toby wasn't partly right that ultimately Toby and Kate have to make this decision.  But still -- Rebecca and Kate need to finally say how they feel to each other.  

But I did like the Rebecca / Kate scenes in the bathroom.  

The flashbacks -- poor Rebecca.  And everyone!  And of course we see Randall push his own feelings and desires down to try and be there for everyone else.  It's a shame there seemed to be no other adults (friends, siblings, her parents) around Rebecca to be her support system, so she could have some help supporting her kids in their grieving.  :(

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

I loved the all-too-brief scene of Kate and Toby getting flirty in the Lyft.   This show needs more fun!   And we get way too little of it.   I did burst out laughing when Toby blurted out "I'm a heroin addict!"  

OMG, the precious little face on Baby Sky in the William / ChiChi flashback!

It wasn't the time or place, but it's a little too bad that Toby stopped the Rebecca / Kate argument.  Honestly, these two need to just have it out already.  Rebecca was just about to voice her frustration over (a) probably feeling guilty that she didn't do more to help guide Kate before her weight got completely out of control, but (b) now feeling like she's never allowed to say anything, even when she's genuinely worried for Kate's health.    Which is not to say Kate isn't justified in feeling totally hurt whenever her weight is focused on.  Or that Toby wasn't partly right that ultimately Toby and Kate have to make this decision.  But still -- Rebecca and Kate need to finally say how they feel to each other.  

But I did like the Rebecca / Kate scenes in the bathroom.  

The flashbacks -- poor Rebecca.  And everyone!  And of course we see Randall push his own feelings and desires down to try and be there for everyone else.  It's a shame there seemed to be no other adults (friends, siblings, her parents) around Rebecca to be her support system, so she could have some help supporting her kids in their grieving.  :(

I agree, when my kids say "thanks mom" a bit sarcastically, sometimes when I'm honestly worried about something, I tell them I'm a cheerleader, I'm a teacher, I'm a friend at times, but always a mother who cares and worries. If you can't be honest sometimes about health concerns (not nagging, but honest) than who can? A friend might not want to be, easier to be encouraging, but a parent has a hard job of balancing. The show shouldn't have Kate use her weight all the time like a shield to hide behind, no one can talk to me about anything because my weight will usually be part of decisions I make.

I think they kept Rebecca alone because it fit their scenario but Rebecca was too nice and looked like she'd be a fun person to be around, to be so alone in the burbs where they lived. You don't have to show people to have them mentioned or a phone call, something. I was lucky to have 2 great friends when my kids were growing up and it kept me sane many days. Later as moving and divorce for some made it quieter and more "aquaintances" which was a mistake. To isolate yourself with just a spouse can lead to many problems later if death, a health condition or other life change hits.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, DearEvette said:

I get that Kate's comment meant biologically.  But you pass on more than just DNA from your parents.   I felt bad for Randall in that moment. It may not have been as bad if he hadb't already been told he wasn't part of William's world.  Now to hear something like that from Kate of all people had to hurt.

I am loving Randall and Kevin's relationship evolution.

One again Beth looked fab!

I agree that I really enjoy the teenage crew. 

I agree--I think the issue for Randall was the timing. His experience at the rec center, feeling like he doesn't truly belong any place and then that added on. If she could have clarified "I just meant children that possibly look like dad due to the DNA" it would have been ok. On another day, he might have heard it that way.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, againstthewind said:

I’m really, really over William.

really? I wonder if I'm the only one who can't help but watch this show as if I'm catching up on friends. When I saw William (just watched this episode last night; I'm behind) I had an instant "oh, good, we get to see  William!" because I missed him. And the Jack flashbacks/voice overs were the same way for me. So, I'm potentially doing a crummy job of judging the plot; I'm honestly happy to get a glimpse of William and/or Jack. As if I knew them and they were real people.

7 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

really? I wonder if I'm the only one who can't help but watch this show as if I'm catching up on friends. When I saw William (just watched this episode last night; I'm behind) I had an instant "oh, good, we get to see  William!" because I missed him. And the Jack flashbacks/voice overs were the same way for me. So, I'm potentially doing a crummy job of judging the plot; I'm honestly happy to get a glimpse of William and/or Jack. As if I knew them and they were real people.

I like William, too, and I don't mind that we're still getting scenes with him.  I think the actor does a great job.  

• Love 1