Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02 A Philadelphia Story

• Start Topic

This Is Us: "The Pearsons gather to support Kevin at his movie premiere."

Me: Wait, so does that mean that they'll be at his event the entire time and half the Pearsons won't disappear to deal with their own drama? 

TIU: Well...yeah....

Me: Great!

TIU:...but the event won't happen until the end of the episode, Kate, Rebecca, and Toby will be distracted by her fertility issues with Kate saying that Kevin's future kids won't look like Jack (thanks, Kate!) and Randall will have decided to save the world yet again with some obligatory William flashbacks, since our Jack flashbacks will be light this episode! 

Me: .....progress? 

TIU: And also we're setting up some Randall/Kate tension?

Me:....ok, SOLD. 

• Love 18

This was a lot more about William, not so much about Jack, and you have a movie premiere without one shot of Rocky or Ritchie Cunningham. 

Wasn't a fan of Kate said, even I knew what she was getting at.  And as much as Toby still grates now without the anti depressants, he was right.  Rebecca will always find a way to make it about Kate's weight.  She's 38.  I would think she knew the risks she was taking at this stage. 

And yes, I actually DO want to know how Mario Lopez has not aged since Saved By The Bell. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 23

Why do these 38-year-old adults seem so much like teenagers? Well-adjusted adults aren't this whiny, self-absorbed, childish, and overdramatic. How Rebecca hasn't murdered all of them is beyond me.

Randall's minute-long silence at the very end provoked like ten eyerolls from me. He's not Jack's biological son. Get over it, Randall. Why is this some massive deal? Why does a man pushing 40 have this drama queen reaction?

• Love 23

Kind of underwhelmed again this week.

Anyways. We all knew Kate wasn’t going to apply to Berkeley after Jacks death and we all called Randall deferring college for a year. 

And wow. Tension between randall and Kate. That will be interesting. It seems like the tension has always been Randall and Kevin and Kate has always been allowed to be a netrual party and be the go between the two and neither has had any issues. 

I don’t know how I feel about the ivf story. I feel like everyone has their points, even Toby despite this being his big rant because he is off his meds. Also sadly show.. none of

this is making me like Kate anymore than I already don’t. The way she reacted to Kevin was kind of mean. 

• Love 12

I love Toby. He told it like it was. Rebecca STFU! Kate sorta had a point. An obnoxious point but Kevin ain’t gonna have kids if he can avoid it and Randall isn’t Jack’s biological kid. It’s true. Wrong to say but true.  I still like Randall for trying to please everyone. He’s a little self righteous but he really does try much to his detriment. All in all, a good episode but not enough Jack. 

• Love 8

ok episode, i loved toby telling them to shut up, won points for me from him

the basil comment annoyed me, as a gardener i know that you can very easily grow basil in  a small pot

the randall plot was interesting but chichi's comment at the end annoyed me, like someone is trying to help you and make life easier for you, having lived in poverty myself i would have been grateful if anyone took the time to help me, also it's just as well they didn't go to texas, it's pretty racist against blacks

kate annoyed me as usual especially the comment at the end about being able to carry a piece of jack

• Love 7

Oh, Randall, Randall, Randall.  And all this time I've been thinking it's Kate who needs to get her head out of her ass (and she probably still does).

Although, I am loving teen Randall right now.  Wondering if he takes a year off to uh.. help at home?  Help at home = Win Beth.  Rebecca could be of some help here, since at some point she obviously chose Jack over anyone else - and they showed him again this episode.  And he may not have been just anyone.  I think it was very predictable that someone like Rebecca would not have been completely unattached when she and Jack met.  It almost looks like she was in the midst of a breakup, since she told Jack that she didn't know "he" was going to show up. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Rebecca should have waited until the next day  to talk to Kate, but I can't fault a mother for being worried when her daughter is volunteering to have a life threatening procedure.  Sure, it's ultimately Kate and Toby's decision, but I don't see anything wrong with Rebecca expressing her concern and making sure Kate knows the risks.  There's no special birthday where you quit loving your kids.

I don't blame her for saying something; she just picks the worst times to have big conversations (though her kids all seem to have inherited that trait). You're supposed to be celebrating your other kid's big movie break. Put it on hold for a night.

2 minutes ago, balmz said:

the basil comment annoyed me, as a gardener i know that you can very easily grow basil in  a small pot

My parents have a planter/table thing about the size of a Foosball table and about 8 inches deep on their deck and they practically grow a whole salad in there (there's red and green lettuces, basil, and a few other things). 

• Love 5

jmonique, I want to marry your entire post.

Randall's obsession with Deja is starting to really make me uncomfortable. It's too intense. It's bordering on creepy at this point. Annie and Tess, who are adorable and wonderful, are being neglected and Deja is being smothered. I'm half-expecting a storyline where he and Deja get too close, if you catch my drift.

• Love 13
Just now, Conotocarious said:

Kate was saying Kevin isn’t likely to ever have kids. Not sure why that didn’t come across to some, seemed pretty straightforward to me.

That isn't what she said initially; she had to explain what she meant afterward, which is fine, but it still came across very harsh. 

I gotta be honest; I'm really growing tired of Randall and his problems. I just want something new for Randall but it feels like he's going through very similar plots for the last three seasons. He has issues with his identity because he's adopted. Ok, great. Is there anything else to him besides that? And it's odd since it's not like it's been the same exact story, but it feels very paint-by-numbers. I can't fully explain it, I guess. Can this season be Randall learning to be selfless like Teen Randall? I love Teen Randall because he hadn't hit that narcissism part of himself like Adult Randall has. 

Speaking of similar stories, Kate's story centers around her weight yet again. At least we got a very nice Kate/Rebecca scene, where both stopped being judgmental pricks and talked things out. But still, I'm also a little tired of Kate focusing so much on her weight. 

Toby's blowup was my favourite part of the episode. Stupid cliche lying trope aside, I enjoyed seeing Toby completely snap at Rebecca, and it was well deserved. 

Kevin's at least self aware of his flaws and he continues to grow bit by bit. I didn't mind him being taken aback by Kate's snide comment, but she did apologize and I think he knows, better than anyone, how reactive Kate was and how she snapped under pressure. He's done that many a times so it was nice for him to move on from the comment.

William is my least favourite character on this show. It's not that he's a bad guy or a bad character, but I have never been able to really like him much and that's 100% on the way the show treats William and how the show pretends that William's extreme mistakes were just mistakes. Nobody ever got mad at William, besides Randall briefly in the pilot and Beth briefly a couple of episodes after that.

And now Randall is...what, gonna save the community center? I'm not quite sure where that plotline is going, though I have some ideas.

The flashbacks of a grieving Pearson family was well done. 

• Love 18

I daresay I do believe the beautiful daughter of William's friend has caught Randall's eye.  Do I smell trouble in the Randall and Beth paradise?  Not only that, but I think she's challenged him.  What - he says?  I'm not one of you?  Well, now that I've heard I'm not passing down any of Jack, I'm setting out to prove I am one of you.  As if Deja wasn't enough of a challenge.  Memo to Randall - get your butt back into that job with that nice corner office with those spectacular views!

• Love 6

Aren't Tess and Annie like 10/11 and 7/8? Wouldn't they have to have some kind of parental permission for after-school clubs? I didn't just announce to my parents when they came to pick me up after the first day of school (not just because I took the bus) that I have a club meeting (and clubs never met on the first day of school, either) and if I had they wouldn't have just said, "okay, see ya'." 

3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And now Randall is...what, gonna save the community center? I'm not quite sure where that plotline is going, though I have some ideas.

I think Beth was channeling the entire audience when she asked if he was gonna buy it.

• Love 17

Rebecca is such a tragic character. Withdrawn Rebecca reminds me so much of an aunt I had, who never fully came back to life after my uncle passed, even though my special needs cousin was still alive and needed attention. Rebecca has a new life with Miguel, but I wonder if we will ever see Rebecca be as free and happy as when she was with Jack. 

I am less concerned about whether Mandy can pass certain ages, but I buy her emotional well being in the various Rebecca's she had to play tonight.

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That isn't what she said initially; she had to explain what she meant afterward, which is fine, but it still came across very harsh. 

I gotta be honest; I'm really growing tired of Randall and his problems. I just want something new for Randall but it feels like he's going through very similar plots for the last three seasons. He has issues with his identity because he's adopted. Ok, great. Is there anything else to him besides that? And it's odd since it's not like it's been the same exact story, but it feels very paint-by-numbers. I can't fully explain it, I guess. Can this season be Randall learning to be selfless like Teen Randall? I love Teen Randall because he hadn't hit that narcissism part of himself like Adult Randall has. 

Speaking of similar stories, Kate's story centers around her weight yet again. At least we got a very nice Kate/Rebecca scene, where both stopped being judgmental pricks and talked things out. But still, I'm also a little tired of Kate focusing so much on her weight. 

Toby's blowup was my favourite part of the episode. Stupid cliche lying trope aside, I enjoyed seeing Toby completely snap at Rebecca, and it was well deserved. 

Kevin's at least self aware of his flaws and he continues to grow bit by bit. I didn't mind him being taken aback by Kate's snide comment, but she did apologize and I think he knows, better than anyone, how reactive Kate was and how she snapped under pressure. He's done that many a times so it was nice for him to move on from the comment.

William is my least favourite character on this show. It's not that he's a bad guy or a bad character, but I have never been able to really like him much and that's 100% on the way the show treats William and how the show pretends that William's extreme mistakes were just mistakes. Nobody ever got mad at William, besides Randall briefly in the pilot and Beth briefly a couple of episodes after that.

The flashbacks of a grieving Pearson family was well done. 

Let me ask you something if you sick of Randall's problems are you sick of Kate's?, Rebecca's? or Kevin's? Because they all have issues that's a defining part of who they are.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Rowan said:

So, Rebecca’s not saying anything, cause she knows it will not be what Kate and Toby want to hear, but Kate can’t have that, so she pushes until she gets what she wants, and that is to go ahead and start the fight about it. She wanted it. She got it. Sure, she wishes her Mom would just be like, “Oh, Kate, I hope this works out! I know it might carry risks, but it will be worth it!”, but she knows good and damn well that was not what her mother was feeling, so instead of letting her choke all the negativity down for at least Kevin’s movie premiere, she pushes. ‘Cause she craves the negativity. Kate is my least fav. 

Adult Randall is not half as endearing as kid Randall or teenage Randall. 

I so hope to meet teenage Beth. 

I almost thought teenage Randall was going to meet Beth at the party. Unfortunately, it was just the host parents dancing. Has it been told exactly when Randall & Beth met?

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I daresay I do believe the beautiful daughter of William's friend has caught Randall's eye.  Do I smell trouble in the Randall and Beth paradise?  Not only that, but I think she's challenged him.  What - he says?  I'm not one of you?  Well, now that I've heard I'm not passing down any of Jack, I'm setting out to prove I am one of you.  As if Deja wasn't enough of a challenge.  Memo to Randall - get your butt back into that job with that nice corner office with those spectacular views!

I admit that crossed my mind...in real life attractive people cross paths without it a leading to anything romantic, but this is TV show, if Randall isn't going to be even tempted at some point, someone far less good looking would have been cast in that role.

I get Rebecca's concerns, but not the time. Plus, she knows bringing up Kate's weight with her in any way is just a sore subject. The flashbacks showed that Rebecca has a way of choking down her concerns about the kids in the name of keeping the peace, so maybe she just couldn't anymore in the present. Kate is in a better place with her mom, but old patterns are hard to break.

Eloise isn't bad on its own but with Plaza? Oh dear.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Let me ask you something if you sick of Randall's problems are you sick of Kate's?, Rebecca's? or Kevin's? Because they all have issues that's a defining part of who they are.

As I mentioned in my post, yeah, I'm sick of Kate's problems. We're not seeing enough of Rebecca's, at least in the present day. I was tired of Kevin's issues until he started to show actual growth, and I can admit that I'm not really invested in his relationship with Zoe like I thought I would be; but I think I actually like Kevin best when he's single. I like Teen Randall and Kid Randall. They're my favourite versions of him. Adult Randall is annoying to watch. Adult Kate is annoying to watch. 

For Randall, I'd much rather stop hearing about himself and start watching him focus on his kids. I want him to take charge of his life and not get bottled down by his adoption issues, because he's very clearly still defined by that part of his life. They have so many potential stories for Randall but they keep bogging him down with similar ones. 

I actually prefer Beth to Randall at this point. I get annoyed with Beth, but nowhere near the level of annoyance I've gotten with Randall since last season.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I almost thought teenage Randall was going to meet Beth at the party. Unfortunately, it was just the host parents dancing. Has it been told exactly when Randall & Beth met?

I thought that, too, and I was disappointed for a second, then it segued into his flashback of seeing his parents together and it hitting him how alone she must feel, and I was like, I love young Randall. It’s adult Randall who is always so extra that it mutes some of his innate charm. 

• Love 8

I thought Randall mentioned in season one that he met Beth in college?

Gigi is stunning.  I could spend an hour just watching her throw shade at Randall.  And also smiling.  Her smile could stop traffic.

Gigi is William’s friend, Skye is the daughter William held and who was showing Deja how to step.

Miguel says they have to get going to the premiere, but apparently Kevin can wait because Miguel spotted caramel creme pudding.  That made me laugh.

• Love 22

I would also like to see Randall interacting with Tess and Annie more.  Or Beth with her daughters.  Oh, hell, anything with Beth.  As usual, Randall means well, but he is pushing his adoption and identity issues onto Deja.  It's his nature to give 100% whenever something is going on, but he needs to just let her be.  Deja's not trying to run away, she wants to be there.  

Speaking of which, I'm really not into this community center thing.  They already bought an entire apartment building, now Randall wants to tackle the neighborhood?  Being landlords is enough, slow down.  I wonder how all that is going considering that Randall is still unemployed.  I'm guessing rent from the tenants is supplanting his lost income?  And I'm sure he got a great severance package, but if Beth is the only one bringing in money, it could be why she's so stressed.  It's been a year since William passed.

Although Rebecca did deserve the dressing down from Toby, I still feel like she gets shit on more than anyone else in that family.  

23 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Has it been told exactly when Randall & Beth met?

I thought it was at a college party.  Kevin gave Randall some pick up lines so he could talk to Beth.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 15

I found this episode dull.  When I tweeted that, two people iMMEDIATELY responded to me like "WHAAAT?!  HOW COULD YOU?"  I found that funny.  I'm glad some viewers really enjoyed it.

The casting of Kevin and Kate as teenagers is brilliant, looks-wise.  They do a good job acting wise too. I don't think teenage Randall looks at all like Sterling, but hey, the kid's a good actor and I guess I like his always-scared energy.  

I'm not good at the simple math that the fact checkers here seem to be, but if that time period when the kids are teens is supposed to be the 90s then Mandy Moore's hair looks kinda Rachel Greeny so that's awesome.  But before Jack dies - um.  I don't think anyone's hair looked like Rebecca's in the 80s.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  It looks way too stylized with like 2000s highlights and straightened with a flip at the end.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, RickyB said:

Did Jack and Rebecca go to an open house in the house Randal eventually buys to raise his family? It looked like it. 

I was trying to determine the same thing.  I had the same thought.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, RickyB said:

Did Jack and Rebecca go to an open house in the house Randal eventually buys to raise his family? It looked like it. 

I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but I don't know for sure. It felt like a different layout, besides the stairs being by the front door and the living room to the left.

• Love 1