Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Reentry

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Here's what I don't get.  Horsefaced Harriet comes home to find that her fiancee horned her with her best friend. Five+ years have passed, but not from her perspective - I understand. Now, suppose she'd just come home from work early one day, to find the fiancee balling the BFF. No time jumping, no aliens, no magic, no divine intervention ... just the good old kick-in-the-nuts that people all over the world experience every day, by the thousand. Wouldn't she just have to take a bite of that shit-sandwich and get over it?!??

ETA: I don't know where this is going, but if Tilda Swinton shows up with wings on her back, I'm oudda here!

MV5BNGE3NTQ4MzUtOTdhZS00MTJhLTkxYjktN2Yw

Edited by Netfoot

As that lady went to the press she signed her death warrant there.

Also hope that Michaela if she is still a NY PD cop and can try to go through her sources to try to get the NSA off everybody's back. And that someone in higher up could do that. Ben is strong but sympathetic though. 

Hope he and his wife will reconcile I mean five years really a long time for his estranged wife but just a day for him.

The NSA or any federal government type seems not to care about infringing on rights and getting away with it. Me thinks someone is wrong there.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

What's with the music they are hearing and what's with the shadow man? This show does not know whether it is The Twilight Zone, Lost, or the X Files. It's another show that will drag it's feet when the premise was really good and it could have been a made for TV movie. 

Did anyone else think of Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Yeah, but, that was great music, imo.  

Michaela looked really lovely at the airport before her family took off on their flight, but, after her, her brother and nephew's return, she has looked rough.  What happened? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, meggonzo said:

I was wondering about the timeline on the boyfriend too.  I thought when Michaela overheard Grace talking on the phone, she asked who "he" was, but I could have mis-heard that.

5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I thought Michaela asked "Do I know him?" so I think Grace's new person is a man. 

Michaela did ask if she knows “him” but Grace did not use any specific pronouns. My interpretation was that Michaela assumed it’s a man but that Grace’s deliberate avoidance of pronouns means it could be a woman.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My interpretation was that Michaela assumed it’s a man but that Grace’s deliberate avoidance of pronouns means it could be a woman.

And we can't rule out one of the other 61 genders.  Right?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I didn't realize it had only been four days... that definitely makes it all rather ridiculous.  Why is Michaela and Ben's father MIA?  You'd think they would try to spend a little bit of time with him, or vice versa.  Was Ben not close to his mother?  Did Ben have no friends?  He didn't have a job before the plane trip?  Why didn't Michaela ask to be re-assigned to a different precinct?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

I didn't realize it had only been four days... that definitely makes it all rather ridiculous.  Why is Michaela and Ben's father MIA?  You'd think they would try to spend a little bit of time with him, or vice versa.  Was Ben not close to his mother?  Did Ben have no friends?  He didn't have a job before the plane trip?  Why didn't Michaela ask to be re-assigned to a different precinct?  

That is odd that Ben wouldn't have been employed prior to the vacation in Jamaica.  He never even mentioned going back to his old place of employment like Michaela did.

In the meeting of government officials, one person indicated that they had run DNA tests on everyone -- in 4 days ?  Seriously ?
It would have taken them longer than that to get original DNA samples of all 191 souls from BEFORE the plane's disappearance to compare to.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

In the meeting of government officials, one person indicated that they had run DNA tests on everyone -- in 4 days ?  Seriously ?

Damn, that's even better than the DNA testing time on Law & Order!

• Love 5

I question their conclusion that the 20 passengers at the airplane destruction party are the ones they need to be worried about.  If there was an evil mastermind, maybe they wouldn't be stupid enough to be at the scene of the crime?   And don't forget about the invisible aliens who could be at the root of this.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It would have taken them longer than that to get original DNA samples of all 191 souls from BEFORE the plane's disappearance to compare to.

I didn’t think they were running comparative DNA tests, just testing to make sure they were real humans. 

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Michaela did ask if she knows “him” but Grace did not use any specific pronouns. My interpretation was that Michaela assumed it’s a man but that Grace’s deliberate avoidance of pronouns means it could be a woman.

That's how I interpreted it too, but now I don't think this show's dialog is really that sophisticated, so it's probably just a "him."

55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
58 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Damn, that's even better than the DNA testing time on Law & Order!

Hee. The only explanation is time travel.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, but, that was great music, imo.  

Michaela looked really lovely at the airport before her family took off on their flight, but, after her, her brother and nephew's return, she has looked rough.  What happened? 

Um... She was lost in time and now everything in her life has changed.

• Love 4

What happened?  My post from page 1 ended up here minus the people I had quoted.  I just removed the whole thing.  Shadow Stalker must be a hacker as well.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If the Shadow Man turns out to be the smoke monster from Lost, I will cut a bitch.

Yeah, I'll keep watching for now, but if I start to feel like this show is just making mystery on top of mystery without ever giving us answers, I'm outta here. I hung onto Lost until the end, & I will not be making that kind of mistake again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Yeah, I'll keep watching for now, but if I start to feel like this show is just making mystery on top of mystery without ever giving us answers, I'm outta here. I hung onto Lost until the end, & I will not be making that kind of mistake again.

Usually once I start watching a show, I stick with it to the bitter end but Lost was one of the few where I cut my losses pretty early and quit watching because it was just too ridiculous and we weren't getting enough answers. No regrets!

• Love 3

Ben might not be good at the whole sleuthing thing, but he apparently packs a punch, huh?  Maybe he should take-up boxing or MMA, if the job search doesn't pan out!

I'm not the biggest fan of Michaela (or any of the characters, really), but considering the circumstances, I actually didn't think she was too bad when she first saw Lourdes again.  Now, if she had yelled at her or tried to attack her, maybe I can buy the whole "you're being unfair to her", but considering it has been only four days for her, awkwardly avoiding her is about as good as you can get.  But now they're on the path to recovery, which means Lourdes is totally not long for this world, right?

Dammit, Grace!  Not only did you still not tell Ben, but you have slept with him, and now cheated on your other partner.  I get this is a tricky situation and your emotions are probably all out of wack, but this was not the right way to handle it, I think.

So, now there is some Shadow thing that apparently kills the passengers?  Yeah, I got nothing.

I really hope we start getting more moments of the passengers reacting to all of the changes that happened in the five years.  Like when they brought up Spider-Man, I wanted either Ben or Cal to be like "The hell?!  Wasn't Andrew Garfield playing him?  He's already gone?!  Who is this Tom Holland punk, dammit?!!"

Right now, the only characters I kind of like are Olive and doctor lady.  Even Ben and Grace are still dull despite my fondness for Josh Dallas and Athena Karkanis.  I hope the characters (and show in general) start improving soon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

.  But now they're on the path to recovery, which means Lourdes is totally not long for this world, right?

Lourdes might just be seen with a hand pressed up against a rain-streaked bus or taxi window as she gets out of Dodge—perhaps because the paparazzi irrationally paint her as a home wrecker—and she never really loved Detective Ex-fiancé anyway—marrying him was just an attempt to fill the Michaela-shaped hole in her heart.
See? I could so write this schlock.

1 HOUR AGO, THUGANOMICS85 SAID:

Ben might not be good at the whole sleuthing thing, but he apparently packs a punch, huh? Maybe he should take-up boxing or MMA, if the job search doesn't pan out!

Have you not seen him fend off evil with a cape and a sword and an infant daughter held protectively under the other arm? Shadow Person won't stand a chance against Brother Charming.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

you not seen him fend off evil with a cape and a sword and an infant daughter held protectively under the other arm? Shadow Person won't stand a chance against Brother Charming.

I guess I gave on the show much too soon because if the writing staff OAAT managed to give this bland dull actor a role that captived people that was a magical feat.

• Love 4

If this is only going to be week after week of Ben and Michaela taking turns saving people it is going to get old really quickly.  In fact I was really bored with all the plots in this episode.  The trope of a regular person using a supernatural source to solve crimes has been done to death.

19 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Say what you will about Lost at least in the beginning their shocks were interesting and exciting. 

And compelling from the first minute.  Even the year when the 6 survivors went back to their lives they were more interesting.  Maybe it's because we knew them better.  It's hard to care about these people because they seem to have no layers.  (I do understand that it's difficult to do layers in 2 hours.)

18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

So now we have a 'mysterious' musical phrase in the characters' heads; what's next, black monoliths show up in their back yards? There are no interesting ideas here.

No new ideas.  The mysterious musical phrase was done on Battlestar Gallactica.  

My money is on Grace being pregnant.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Like when they brought up Spider-Man, I wanted either Ben or Cal to be like "The hell?!  Wasn't Andrew Garfield playing him?  He's already gone?!  Who is this Tom Holland punk, dammit?!!"

What are you talking about?  Spiderman is Tobey Maguire!

• Love 4

Too bad Ben is staying with Grace rather than developing something with the gorgeous cancer doctor. 

And as for Grace. Did she spend the time between hearing her family had returned and going to see them scrubbing the house of any trace of a new relationship? 

However I do like the show as I need something with that level of sci-fi mystery in the rotation now that Timeless and Forever are no longer with us.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, staphdude said:

Too bad Ben is staying with Grace rather than developing something with the gorgeous cancer doctor.

Oh, I'm assuming that's the writers' plan.

And apparently it is not necessary to fall into a wormhole or be psychotic to hear voices: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/10/hallucinations-hearing-voices-reality-debate/571819/

Whew!
(j/k I haven't heard any voices since I ate hash oil with peanut butter in 1972.)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, I'm assuming that's the writers' plan.

Oh I agree. I just wish they would move it along. 

I know that with a five year gap the romantic lives of characters is a go to plot point but if they have to go there could they not explore it in a much more interesting way? The “Waaaaaah I love you both” thing is tedious.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, staphdude said:

I know that with a five year gap the romantic lives of characters is a go to plot point but if they have to go there could they not explore it in a much more interesting way? The “Waaaaaah I love you both” thing is tedious.

If you watched Absentia, this is almost a direct parallel except for the sci-fi stuff. Missing person, presumed dead, husband remarries, the missing person returns, and the marriage shit hits the fan.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was going to insist that the erased figure next to his mom in Cal's drawing was her lover, but, the way the zoom-in footage was repeated so many times, y'all might be right about it also being a shadowy or shady character. It's kind of interesting to me from a scifi standpoint and as an artist the the figure is erased, but I guess that didn't register with the general audience, so it's probably not relevant.

To me the sketch looked more like "shadow" than "erased".

It felt really clear to me that it was mom's lover when we first saw it based where the figure was in the drawing. I assumed they were making Cal a bit psychic. (Esp since he's now Jesus or something. He is Risen!

Where I switched to "shadow killer" was how they framed the shots leading up to the murder. They carefully zoomed in on the shadow in the family pic, then cut to the person-shaped shadow on the wall behind the woman, creeping up on her. That parallel was unmistakably intentional IMO.

If there is a shadow killer I'm guessing it's not a general threat to survivors. While the presence might be with all of them now, per the drawing, It felt like she was killed for making up theories and going on TV. They were saved to do good, and she committed some sin like vanity or greed. She stepped out of line and was struck down for it.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, reallyjustjen said:

It seems like maybe they live in Queens-it wouldn’t really make sense for Michaela to have easily ridden her bike back and forth to that warehouse in the first ep from Staten Island, and the way Ben referenced Olive taking him to a storage facility “in Long Island”, made it sounds as if they’ve didn’t live in LI.

ETA-Sorry, I was typing as meggonzo posted, but I’m glad we agree, LOL! 

Well it's not like the logistics and timeline have made sense so far anyways, LOL!  I'm also confused how the 20 passengers traveled back to Stewart Airfield, but maybe that's why only 20 people showed up and not all 191.  If that was only day 2, how did any of them have cars already?  Did they all take the train together?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, meggonzo said:

I think they said Queens in the first episode.

Yes, Ben and his family live in Astoria, an area in the northwest part of Queens.  The park where the daughter was playing soccer looked to be on the East River across from Manhattan.  My Mom grew up in Astoria, and I still have some relatives living there.

21 hours ago, kili said:

NYPD has jurisdiction on Long Island. Michaela probably responded because her brother was involved to help smooth over the process.

No it does not - well, they have jurisdiction in Queens and Brooklyn, which are physically located on Long Island, but are boroughs of New York City.  Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which make up the bulk of Long Island, have their own police departments.  Anyone who lives in the region would know that when you talk about "Long Island", you are talking about the Nassau/Suffolk part, and not the Queens/Brooklyn parts - most people who live in Queens or Brooklyn will fight you if you say they are from Long Island.  If the storage facility was "on Long Island" (and it is "on" not "in"!!!) I would expect it to be in Nassau or Suffolk, and out of NYPD's jurisdiction.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Am I misremembering, but didn't Olive say that the locker was owned by mom's boyfriend?  I was half expecting Ben to find something incriminating in there.

I believe she said it was the storage unit of her mom’s “friend”.  Ben catching sight of the scuba gear in the unit, after his exchange with his wife about having learned to scuba dive while he was gone, seemed to raise his suspicions.  

• Love 9

It completely turned into a full-blown soap opera, and the supernatural premise is spent on some boring "save someone" plots and 20-second-long by-the-numbers shadow figures and conspiracies. Great. I really hope the episode 3 audience drop will be even worse than after this episode.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, DakotaLavender said:

Well, this episode sort of lost me. Lost 2.0. When writers build mysteries into shows they have to know when they are writing the script the solutions to the mysteries and not build mystery after mystery and never provide answers as the show moves along. Ok give it time, this is only the second episode. But this seems the direction this show will go. Plus, the characters and their stories are not even interesting. They are stereotypical caricatures and real dull. And nothing really happens except cliffhangers to lure the audience back. 

What's with the music they are hearing and what's with the shadow man? This show does not know whether it is The Twilight Zone, Lost, or the X Files. It's another show that will drag it's feet when the premise was really good and it could have been a made for TV movie. 

I think the music was specific to this episode only.  I thought it was because the guys father was one of those guys who plays the violin publicly in NYC - like, that's how what's his face (let's just call him Boring Brother) found out about the case that he oh-so conveniently solved.  

On 10/1/2018 at 11:44 PM, ParadoxLost said:

I thought the shadow figure in the picture was Cal unknowingly picking up on the his mother's involvement with someone else through whatever power he picked up or twin connection.

Am I missing something that made it seem more sinister or something other than that?

Yes.  They purposely were showing a "shadow figure" in that lady's home before she shot herself.  Pretty sure they were setting the scene that Shadow Man = Bad. 

On 10/2/2018 at 12:33 AM, Maverick said:

I'm assuming Mystery Lover is someone we have seen or will see and when they're revealed the implication will be they got together with the Mom deliberately because they had fore knowledge the plane would return.  50/50 odds Shadowy Murderer is Mystery Lover. 

When whats-her-name (Boring Sister) caught her Sister-in-law on the phone with her lover, didn't she ask her if it was somebody that they already knew, and SIL said no?  Or am I completely making that conversation up (it's possible). 

20 hours ago, eel2178 said:

No.... because that movie is actually good.  j/k sort of.  This second episode was better than the first.  I'll give it some more time.  I'm REALLY hoping they aren't turning this into some "new Scooby Gang solves a mystery-of-the-week" type show, but signs are unfortunately pointing in that direction.  

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

If this is only going to be week after week of Ben and Michaela taking turns saving people it is going to get old really quickly.  In fact I was really bored with all the plots in this episode.  The trope of a regular person using a supernatural source to solve crimes has been done to death.

And compelling from the first minute.  Even the year when the 6 survivors went back to their lives they were more interesting.  Maybe it's because we knew them better.  It's hard to care about these people because they seem to have no layers.  (I do understand that it's difficult to do layers in 2 hours.)

No new ideas.  The mysterious musical phrase was done on Battlestar Gallactica.  

My money is on Grace being pregnant.

That would at least be interesting!  So it probably won't happen.... ;)  But you may be onto something and that may be the reason Grace is saying how "complicated" the situation is! 

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Am I misremembering, but didn't Olive say that the locker was owned by mom's boyfriend?  I was half expecting Ben to find something incriminating in there.

Yep... and he saw the scuba gear in there, so I'm thinking Boring Brother knows that his wife was probably with somebody while he was gone.  I think he's just assuming that it was probably a fling that doesn't compare to their great love/happy (or unhappy?) marriage.  

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Isn't that the whole premise of the show?  :-)  

3 hours ago, snarktini said:

Where I switched to "shadow killer" was how they framed the shots leading up to the murder. They carefully zoomed in on the shadow in the family pic, then cut to the person-shaped shadow on the wall behind the woman, creeping up on her. That parallel was unmistakably intentional IMO.

There were also the shadows in the garage as the shadow on the wall behind the woman....

I can't remember the name of the show but it was an NBC summer show where they kept saying "All Will Be Revealed" all summer long.  They were in a wild west sort of town and then ended up on a cargo ship of some kind?  NOTHING was revealed.  It better not be like that.  Looking at you NBC.....

• Love 6

When the kid kept insisting his seemingly correct sets of legos were wrong compared to the ones he used to have, I thought we were going the Mandela Effect route. I was kind of disappointed to find out the original and correct sets were just in a storage locker. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, meggonzo said:

Well it's not like the logistics and timeline have made sense so far anyways, LOL!  I'm also confused how the 20 passengers traveled back to Stewart Airfield, but maybe that's why only 20 people showed up and not all 191.  If that was only day 2, how did any of them have cars already?  Did they all take the train together?

On their first day reintegrating into their old lives they all downloaded the Uber app.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DFWGina said:

Isn't that the whole premise of the show?  :-)  

There were also the shadows in the garage as the shadow on the wall behind the woman....

I can't remember the name of the show but it was an NBC summer show where they kept saying "All Will Be Revealed" all summer long.  They were in a wild west sort of town and then ended up on a cargo ship of some kind?  NOTHING was revealed.  It better not be like that.  Looking at you NBC.....

Persons Unknown.  They did kinda answer the questions of why they were there but left a cliffhanger about what happened next. 

• Love 1

The voice was nice enough to provide guidance for rescue the two girls and get the son out of jail but couldn't advise the lady to keep her mouth shut?! 

If Grace's mystery man turns out to be Mick's and Ben's father.... I'm out.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Amy Beth said:

On their first day reintegrating into their old lives they all downloaded the Uber app.

I imagine the other 171 people looked at the cost of the fare from NYC to Newburgh and said F this, lol.

• Love 7

The issue is that the characters aren't acting like humans. If I start hearing things or getting visions I am going to go get a full chem panel, then a head CT, and if those are okay I am meeting with psych to find out f I have late onset schizophrenia.

All these guys are like "Oh, wonder what's up?. Hey, look, TV ads."

• Love 8

lol...I'm noticing a distinct disconnect between the comments on this thread and the #1 new show!! ads I heard during every commercial break while I was watching The Voice on demand last night.

I wonder if shadow drawing/mom's "friend"/shadow killer are all the same person...

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I guess I gave on the show much too soon because if the writing staff OAAT managed to give this bland dull actor a role that captived people that was a magical feat.

I lasted three seasons of OUAT but by the end of S3 I realized that I was barely paying attention (like, not just messing around on my computer while sitting in front of the TV like I usually do, but leaving the room entirely to do random things that could totally wait for a commercial) while it was on so I didn't bother when S4 came back.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

If Grace's mystery man turns out to be Mick's and Ben's father.... I'm out.

I thought about that, actually, but then figured that twist would be Too Much for the very PG rating this show wants to have. Speaking of the father, though, I thought it was weird he wasn’t around. His kids from back from the dead and he’s all like “I’ll see you later”??? Yeah, no. I also second the idea that the writers aren’t writing these characters like real PEOPLE. They are acting like they were away for five days, not five years.

I too thought the music was just to connect Ben with the violinist father in this episode. It didn’t seem to me we would hear it again. Instead of regularly hearing voices it may be that every week (at least for a while) we get a new supernatural tipoff.

• Love 3

I'm one of the ones that can't get over how nonchalant all of the survivors, their families and the media are acting about the incident. When the wife said that it had only been 4 days, it took me right out of whatever that scene was. What bothers me more, though, is Ben's denial that something weird is going on. It makes absolutely no sense given what they just went through. 

"You don't want to discuss it because then you'd have to admit something miraculous is happening"

What are they TALKING ABOUT, of course something miraculous is happening, you were missing for 5 years and have no concept of the time you missed and no one aged a single day! It shouldn't even be a question. It's like they want them to be Mulder and Scully, which completely doesn't fit here. At some point even though Scully always went to the logical explanation first, she stopped denying the existence of something different in the universe because she'd seen and experienced it first hand. Ben himself is already literal evidence of something strange existing, since it happened to him. Denying it just makes him look and sound like an idiot. 

They need to make the love lives more interesting and twisty or stop giving it so much focus. Michaela's boyfriend marrying her best friend? Weird and I don't care. Ben's wife having a girl or boy on the side that's she hiding? Stupid and I don't care. And it's literally 80% of the show right now. Both of the siblings themselves are emotional, do gooder, self righteous types which is fine, every show needs those types, but it makes for a very boring ensemble. I'm sure some of the other survivors coming on will mix things up a bit, but it's kind of a bummer that these two are always going to be in the forefront.

The LOST comparisons are unavoidable and all I can think about is even when LOST was in a heavily character driven phase, they characters could actually DRIVE the show. They were interesting from the moment the show began. I know it's early but if a show has "it", they usually have "it" from the beginning. Manifest? No "it" to be found. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, snarktini said:

If there is a shadow killer I'm guessing it's not a general threat to survivors. While the presence might be with all of them now, per the drawing, It felt like she was killed for making up theories and going on TV. They were saved to do good, and she committed some sin like vanity or greed. She stepped out of line and was struck down for it.

It does seem to be that way.  The lady was smirking as she watched herself on TV, and wasn't she the one who snarked at Michaela for not "pulling the cop card" 8 hours ago, so they wouldn't have been detained for so long?  The Shadow Killer probably judged her to be not "worthy" of the voices/magical crime solving abilities, so she had to die a violent death, with the implication that she "deserved" it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:

When the kid kept insisting his seemingly correct sets of legos were wrong compared to the ones he used to have, I thought we were going the Mandela Effect route.

My sister thought the same thing.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

lol...I'm noticing a distinct disconnect between the comments on this thread and the #1 new show!! ads I heard during every commercial break while I was watching The Voice on demand last night.

The posters here tend to be more damning of, well, most things than the general audience does tbh.

This show is not good, but I continue to be interested in where it goes. For now, at least. But hey, I stuck through Lost all the way through, loved it all the way through, and consider it a top 5 fave show, so.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The posters here tend to be more damning of, well, most things than the general audience does tbh.

This show is not good, but I continue to be interested in where it goes. For now, at least. But hey, I stuck through Lost all the way through, loved it all the way through, and consider it a top 5 fave show, so.

True (but then that's why I like this place). I'm on the same page about being interested enough for now. I didn't watch Lost, though. I was at my parents' once while they were watching (maybe somewhere in the middle seasons) and caught a little of the episode...I was, well, lost, and it didn't make me want to go start from the beginning.

• Love 4

This place is becoming my new favorite forum.  There's a lot of good smart comments and a lot of hilarious snarky ones as well. What more could you ask for from a show ? ,,,,,,,,, except that it be good. I know it's only week 2 but it shows a lot of potential. I just want to see it go in a smart direction instead of becoming too ridiculous to take.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:

When the kid kept insisting his seemingly correct sets of legos were wrong compared to the ones he used to have, I thought we were going the Mandela Effect route. 

Seems like every kid I've ever known.  Has to have everything *exactly* the same as at some arbitrarily chosen moment in time.  Not unwilling to throw a shit fit over not getting it *exactly* his way.  Mom wasn't suggesting that he play with acorns, just a brand new fancy leggo set.

This is far from being Lost 2.0.  That show, although it stayed on the air far too long, had several well-developed and compelling characters by the end of the second episode.  Not just some cheesy mysteries.  And Prince Charming, I guess.

• Love 3

After this episode, I'm actually wondering how much NBC may be meddling with the show. It almost feels to me like the network got really really nervous about greenlighting a high-concept genre show and the trade-off was "you have to make it as rote procedural and family drama-centered as possible." All shows have to go through the process of figuring themselves out but this one more than most feels like it can't decide what it wants to be, and for all that the family drama has been foregrounded, it seems like that's not what the writers are interested in/suited for.

• Love 8

The showrunner claims that he has a six-year plan for this show.  He'd better make sure his first-six-episode plan is solid, or all the captivated new viewers will flee faster than Ben in a crowd of reporters.

• Love 16