Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: ... I Lose Myself

• Start Topic

I thought hard to come up with 5 things I liked in this episode.

1. John truly is a great character. Dillahunt does an amazing job breathing life into him. In a less talented actor's hands, his shtick could get old real fast or be unbelievable, but he just makes it work. He's charming and effortlessly funny (more than you can say for the twins). The only problem is June. I only like her with John, which isn't great for her as a character. But the problem with getting rid of her is that it would change John.
  2. The small part of Althea running in the alley. This is before the stupid dead walkie, news van and failing to kill Martha bit. I just love those types of chase scenes.
  3. The group making a last stand to fight their way out and get the ethanol. Well, we know how that ended...but it was really nice to see them band together like that and have each others backs.
  4. Alicia saving Althea and saying one of her 3 lines this episode. Yeah, yeah, they're playing me by giving her a 'badass' scene to placate the audience but whatever, I'll take what I can get.
  5. Martha pointing out to Althea that she must be really strong to have seen so many people in need and not truly help any one of them. That was the only time I felt like Martha had any purpose and Al got a little bit of development.

There, I found some things I liked in this episode. Sadly, they all got ruined mere moments later but oh well...Needed to find something to get a little excited about next season. I hope the trailer is epic (and in color) because I really need it to be.

Speaking of trailers, it was pretty annoying that for a trailer that gave little away other than 'THERE IS A STORM' (false advertising), it gave so much away that we had to wait for the whole season. Like the scene with Strand and Alicia sharing a beer. We had to wait for that such a long time, that for me at least there was no longer any uumph to it when it actually aired. Especially because there wasn't a whole lot more to it than what they showed. Watching the trailer, you'd think oh nice Alicia and Strand will bond but in reality they're seperated most of the season and that's one of only 2 significant moments they share. Same with Morgan with the message on his forehead. Again, something they spoiled from the final episode and everybody was expecting Morgan to go crazy but it all turns out to be really lame and ridiculous. He falls for a stupid ploy and sticks his entire arm through a window so they can crash his car. And it gets even more ridiculous with that blinking eye, evil Martha scrawling on his face bit.
Again, with John and Althea being visible in group scenes. Takes any tention away from 'will they, won't they die' when they were in danger.

Obviously, the reason they had to pull so much from the last episode(s) is because the other 7 were even more boring and eventless other than THE STORM (which they also spoiled entirely in the trailer because that was basically the total storm...a couple of wired walkers and some rain). But you know what would have solved that? Writing a better freakin' season.

And thus with this tirade, I have completely undone my initial intent with this post...being positive about this episode. lol. Sigh.

• Love 4

If  I wanted to watch an ugly, crazy witch harangue and try to kill people for hours on end, I'd just go back to my job and clock my boss.

TPTB are truly talentless hacks who dont deseve a dime of what they are getting paid.

And there is no way this zaftig person whos  carrying about 60 lbs in her bra alone, in addition to to the extra 40 lbs of mud caked long dreadlocks on her head, made it 2+ years in the ZA;  just like that ratty little beer maker wouldnt have, either. And how many hordes from Texas metropolises did the guy in the wheelchair pop a wheelie past, too, while we're at it.

Also tired af: giving black characters dreadlocks. Has there ever been a black woman with natural hair on the show? I get it; the comics are drawn this way to make characters stick out and the show follows suit, maybe.  But its ridiculous to think long dirty dreads would ever be a preferred hairdo in the ZA.  Its a liability.  A walker could grab it, or an enemy; you could get vermin in it; it slows you down to have to fiddle with your hair; in Witchypoos  case, she is lugging all that extra weight around; youre constantly sweating directly into it , etc

Long hair , pony tails, elaborate braids, etc The first thing everyone wouldve done in the ZA, early on, was to cut their hair short.

Edited by Butless
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, CloudySky said:

I thought hard to come up with 5 things I liked in this episode.

1. John truly is a great character. Dillahunt does an amazing job breathing life into him. In a less talented actor's hands, his shtick could get old real fast or be unbelievable, but he just makes it work. He's charming and effortlessly funny (more than you can say for the twins). The only problem is June. I only like her with John, which isn't great for her as a character. But the problem with getting rid of her is that it would change John.h.

Like Dickens before him, he's playing on a higher level, as an actor. James is a great actor, too, but he jjust cannot rise above these ridiculous plots hes thrown into; I do not blame him a bit.

As for June, what a horrible character, really just awful. Shes still blathering about herself again. Its teh teh actress and character are merged. And there she is ,again, talking about how she was worried that John wouldnt like the real her.. I mean, wtf? Does anyon understand this, because she constantly mentions it, and all I can say is, she only changed her name, and whatever name she was using  at whatever time, she was still a raging asshole.

A rock should fall on June, for real. John will rally. He's always had more chemistry with Althea anyway.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Butless said:

Also tired af: giving black characters dreadlocks. Has there ever been a black woman with natural hair on the show? I get it; the comics are drawn this way to make characters stick out and the show follows suit, maybe.  But its ridiculous to think long dirty dreads would ever be a preferred hairdo in the ZA.  Its a liability.  A walker could grab it, or an enemy; you could get vermin in it; it slows you down to have to fiddle with your hair; in Witchypoos  case, she is lugging all that extra weight around; youre constantly sweating directly into it , etc

I agree about the long hair, especially those long, funky dreadlocks.  However, Sasha had natural hair and I remember a black woman in Season 1 or 2 when they were at the CDB who had either natural or straightened hair, I don't remember--but no dreadlocks.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I agree about the long hair, especially those long, funky dreadlocks.  However, Sasha had natural hair and I remember a black woman in Season 1 or 2 when they were at the CDB who had either natural or straightened hair, I don't remember--but no dreadlocks.

i was wrong , in a big way ;p   thanks. I felt like I was overlooking someone... heh  I wish they would liberate Michonne from that sweaty rag and dreads. The equivalent wouldve been giving Maggie a big bouffant all this time. 

Its not just that they have dreads or braid or ponytails. Its that they have LONG dreads and braids and ponytails.  Its  a silly thing to get mad about, but it drives me nuts.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Butless said:

i was wrong , in a big way ;p   thanks. I felt like I was overlooking someone... heh  I wish they would liberate Michonne from that sweaty rag and dreads. The equivalent wouldve been giving Maggie a big bouffant all this time. 

Its not just that they have dreads or braid or ponytails. Its that they have LONG dreads and braids and ponytails.  Its  a silly thing to get mad about, but it drives me nuts.

It drives me nuts, too, and the thing is, I think Michonne would look so much better with closely cropped hair, because Danai has a beautifully shaped head.   

And Carol can have Ezekiel because I wouldn't go anywhere near him in those dreads, lol.

Well, the season is over, and, well... I've got to say that, in my opinion, this was probably the weakest season since S1. After they decided to kill off/not show many main characters and introduce new ones in to the fold, they kinda for the majority of the season lost me. I found the story-line (did this season had a story-line, apart from packages for needy lying on the road and the Mrs. Woodoo Priest Creating her Zombie Pals for Company?) to be unengaging (most of the times I was looking anywhere, but the screen). And the actors, well, from those that I did like in this series, they showed so little of them (Allicia, Victor, hell, even Charlie) that I even began to think whether they are there at all. I did not particularly like the form of the season, that each character (either alone or in pairs) get their own episode and only in the beginning and towards the end do they get back together. Most of the new characters were simply uninteresting. And, if somebody would ask me what happened in this season, I would honestly be stumped. Well, yeah, they were grieving and "hunting" down the one's responsible for Maddisson's death, and then grieving for Nick's death, and then being stuck in a tornado, which threw them in opposite directions, but that's just a couple of episode from the whole season.

I just don't know, I found it hard to watch. And that "noire-esque" style of filming colours did not help one bit. I mean, I  get why this choice was made, but I simply did not like it.

• Love 1

Danai is beautiful with natural hair, or even shaved (Black Panther). The dreads cover half her face in shadow most of the time. 

Im sure th e actress loved her part, but she got dealt a bad hand. It wasnt until the scene with Lennie James after the car accident that you can tell she's a pretty good actress, and they plyed off each other well, there. There was something a bit more genuine going on there, than her usual one-note schtick (which was all that was written for her, really).  For a brief glimmer there I could see maybe how the idea of this character could have beem interesting , had it been thought out at all, and put into a smaller scope. As it was though? It was an annoying waste of time, thanks to TPTB.

Edited by Butless
On 10/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Butless said:

Danai is beautiful with natural hair, or even shaved (Black Panther). The dreads cover half her face in shadow most of the time. 

Im sure th e actress loved her part, but she got dealt a bad hand. It wasnt until the scene with Lennie James after the car accident that you can tell she's a pretty good actress, and they plyed off each other well, there. There was something a bit more genuine going on there, than her usual one-note schtick (which was all that was written for her, really).  For a brief glimmer there I could see maybe how the idea of this character could have beem interesting , had it been thought out at all, and put into a smaller scope. As it was though? It was an annoying waste of time, thanks to TPTB.

Huh? Did I miss something? I don’t recall Danai Gurira appearing Fear The Walkind Dead

Edited by Addy83