Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S27.E04: Week 2: Las Vegas Night

Recommended Posts

Quote

Blue Man Group joins the dancers for the opening performance; Boyz II Men performs; each couple dances to a style they haven’t yet.

Airs October 2, 2018.

Share this post


Link to post

Week 2 Vegas Night

I guess someone heard all the gripes about Mandy pairing real life couples. This time Val paired w/Sharna in the opening dance. I didn't notice who Sasha got.  Hmmm looks like Nancy's big bird outfit from last week got remade into Mary Lou's little bird outfit.

Hoping for more realistic scoring tonight.  If someone isn't getting the votes, let 'em go.  It's not for the "judges" to save them with inflated scores.

Juan Pable/Cheryl:  Posture and frame needs some concentrated effort.  Len is previewing results?  No way was that 9 quality.

Milo/Witney:  I wish he'd pull his shoulders back.  He has a tendency to hunch over.  I guess I'm just a stickler for posture.  Nice, mature performance.  Judges are really liking that 9-8-9 combo.  Maybe a point too high.

Ohhhh Donny. You just can't stay away, can you.

Danelle/Artem:  There was A LOT of posing but the steps she did, heaven only knows how she's learning this.  I'm guessing she's probably never even seen a quickstep before her eyesight started going. Good for her.  Considering the scoring of the others, they're really holding her scores down.  Her 3 prior dances were each 18 and here they bump her up to 19.

Alexis/Alan:  What is that she wears around her waist in rehearsals?  I've noticed it before.  At first I thought it was just a belt for the mic pack but it goes down as if it's the top of a thong. Confusing. Anyway, first impression was she was being very careful.  She should be able to go all out with this but she was even a little timid.  She loves being lifted though.

John/Emma:  Emma does come up with some very imaginative concepts.  A little too much play-acting but enjoyable to watch.   The jive itself wasn't very sharp or clean but it was a cute concept.  Did John just get a "thanks for playing, bye now" from the judges?

They're really pushing this DWTSJrs - to where I'm sick of it before it's even started.

DeMarcus/Lindsay:  He was really stiff  while in hold but at the end relaxed once they broke hold.  I don't know if he was just really focused on posture and just came off as stiff.  It's never convincing when the pro tries to take the blame. Lindsay, just smile and let it go. Correct it at the next rehearsal.

Joe/Jenna:  What was that?!?  A lot of time-wasting. Not much movement by him.  The few dance steps he did were out of sync.  Was that throw supposed to land with one leg over his shoulder and the other around his waist?  Strange. Four paddles?  Overscored by at least 2 points each.  (I was hoping to see the rare 3 paddle!)

Evanna/Keo:  Not easy starting a jive alone but that was really good. But she has to watch cutting her moves short.  I know it's fast but she needs to finish her moves.

Bobby/Sharna:  The actual dance was pretty good but there was alot of time wasted on the trick and too many corrections to mention.  But he is learning these dances which is much more than I can say about Joe.  I've read where many here are done with him but I would like to see if he can evolve a bit.  I follow him on IG and his IG stories show his sincerity and insecurities.  I don't agree at all that he's making a mockery of the dances or the show or Sharna.  I hope he will take CAI's advise and turn it down a notch, but I don't think his behavior is coming from a bad place.

Nancy/Val:  A trip to Vegas and a ride on a rocking boat is inspiring? Ok. Good effort but a bit soft.  I didn't get any sense of fierceness from her. 

Tinashe/Brandon:  Good solid cha cha - no messing around. They just got into it and did very well.  Len, careful what you wish for...do you really want Brandon to shock you?

Mary Lou/Sasha:  Good job. Once again, a solid samba with no messing around.  I notice she has a tendency to throw an extra bounce in her steps, but she stays in tempo so I guess that's all right. 

The double elimination turned into a single elimination.  I guess they didn't want to lose the second person...probably one of those overscored?

Aww, good run for Danelle.

Edited by Uke
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Nice opening number. 

So, confirmation that it's not double elimination tonight but there WILL be an elimination on Monday night. 

Juan Pablo had a great dance for it being the first of the night. It wasn't spectacular like I had been hoping, but he did good with what he was given. The judges keep saying that Juan Pablo and Cheryl are sexy and have hot fire together, but I'm not seeing it. I think Juan Pablo is quite capable of it, but I think Cheryl's choreography could be tighter and I think she could give him more of a challenge. As it is, I feel like she's been playing it safe with him, which is why I haven't felt like he could make the finals. He can deliver if he's given the material. That being said, that dance wasn't worthy of two 9s. All 8s would have been perfect. 

Ah, Milo, my surprising dark horse in the running. I absolutely adored Milo's reaction to Celine Dion's message. Their tango was fantastic, in my limited experience with tangos. He's really, really damn good at using his whole body in his dances. He's tall but not lanky. I think he's a shoe in for the finals, at this point and I genuinely hope it happens. 

I see them trying to give a little for Danielle in case she's eliminated tonight. I can see Artem giving Danielle less to do during the dance until they actually had to quickstep, which makes sense. Poor woman is trying her hardest, but she isn't very good. Perhaps her nerves keep taking over and maybe if she had more confidence, she'd be better. I will say that seeing a visual representation of what she does see helps put things into perspective. 

I also am rooting for Alexis, so I was excited to see her dance tonight. It was good to see her freak out about the salsa. It shows that she truly cares about the show. Her dance with Alan was pretty great. She does seem to have some doubts so she didn't go all in like she could have. However, still a very fun salsa and it put a smile on my face. I did laugh at the cut to Joe/Jenna, who didn't seem happy. I am so sad that she could get eliminated far earlier than she deserves. Seriously, though? All 8s for them and Juan Pablo got two nines? C'mon, show, don't low ball Alexis and Alan now. She definitely deserved at least one 9 for that terrific performance. 

I enjoy John's enthusiasm every single week so far. He's a joy to watch, which isn't what I expected. I wasn't so sure about the jive before they started, but I think he did a fine job with it. Not as much Jive content as I would have liked, but I think Emma gave John more of a character to mask the lack of Jive. 

Demarcus and Lindsay going in the middle of the pack! A lot of special performers tonight! Lindsay's an excellent choreographer and I think she can turn any celeb into a great dancer. I thought their dance was well done, though not my favourite of theirs. I don't agree with the 7 score from Len. Really, Len? 

So, Joe's getting a little better. He's not there and he's still weak, but he showing some signs of progress. I did LOL at Jenna needing the other troupe members to assist with the lift. However, I don't mind him getting one point better from last night. 

Evanna is adorable and I keep rooting for her to get better scores. I did thoroughly enjoy her Jive. I still feel like the judges are slightly underscoring her. 

Bobby seriously needs to tone it down. He has the potential to be a really good dancer, but he's distracting. His scores are fair.

I missed Nancy's dance so I'll have to watch later. 

Tinashe and Brandon's dance was good, but I didn't love it. I'm not really sure why. I adore Tinashe; I think my issue is with Brandon, and I can't place my finger as to why. 

I also missed Mary Lou's dance.

Well, Danielle/Artem are gone, which is no surprise to me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

They really like their Big Bird outfits on this show, don't they :p?

I'm not surprised Danelle went, but I would've kept her over Joe, at least. I felt bad for her at the end there. 

On a happier note, I really love Milo. He's so good. Right now my top four are him, Tinashe, Juan Pablo, and DeMarcus. I can see those guys making it to the semi-finals/finals. I also liked Nancy and Alexis' dances tonight. 

Also, when they showed Donny Osmond with a bit of blue paint on his nose, for a moment I thought we'd see him actually do a performance with the Blue Man Group. That would've been interesting :D. I liked how he was part of Danelle's dance. That was cute. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

On a happier note, I really love Milo. He's so good. Right now my top four are him, Tinashe, Juan Pablo, and DeMarcus

Yeah after two weeks, I can definitely see this as the Final 4. I think DeMarcus probably has the fanbase to pull off the win but I can see Milo possibly sneaking in there if Witney plays it right with the choreography.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Donny needs to lay off the tanner. Otherwise he looked good.

im sad to see Danielle go only because Artem is smoking hot. But honestly it was painful to watch them.

i actually think everyone did way worse than yesterday. Completely sloppy. They just must be overwhelmed with all the dances but I didn’t really feel anyone tonight except for maybe Milo.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like the idea that technical issues kept them from using the phone votes tonight..so only online/judges scores counted..which naturally skews younger...and still Danielle went...before Joe? I smell a grassy knoll..No doubt that she wouldn't have won but before Joe and Bobby? Really show?

Other than that, I enjoyed most of the dances..I think Milo and Juan are my favorites....

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Joe is awful and was scored entirely too high.  Don't get me wrong in that I think they were a little nicer to him because when the judges are truthful with him, his fans revolt.  So if they pretend he's getting better we may get rid of him eventually.  But everything about that was bad.  He sat on a stool for much of the beginning, walked a little and partially caught Jenna in her stupid lift.  The end.  Also the choreography was awful.  I get Joe is bad, but a part of me thinks another female pro with more experience working with not great dancers would do better by him in terms of choreography.  Jenna is too "look at me, look at me".   I think Jenna knows how to be a pro to people with some skill.  I don't think she knows what to do with people with no natural talent.

I knew Danielle going home was a possibility but i thought they would try to get her through to most memorable year at least.  I wish Joe had gone instead but oh well.

Yes, I thought almost everyone was sloppier than last night but also to be expected when they are on dance four in two weeks.

Even with the phone votes Danielle would have gone before Joe.  Joe for whatever dumb reason has legions of fans based off of his one appearance on the Bachelor.  

Edited by spanana
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

How did Danielle get voted off over stiff as a board Joe? Either Joe can't dance or Jenna can't teach. It's unfair that better dancers are being voted off instead of him. Round of applause to the camera  person tonight, they have everyone equal camera time in the opening number. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, spanana said:

Yes, I thought almost everyone was sloppier than last night but also to be expected when they are on dance four in two weeks.

Seriously. I don't blame any one of them for getting just plain tuckered out after all of that. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Grocery Joe is the Joke Contestant.  He can't dance, period.  He's obviously getting sympathy votes.  How embarrassing.  Unfortunately, he will continue to get through - at the expense of better dancers.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know anything about ballroom, but I can say Joe is atrocious.  Go home man. It’s embarrassing to see.

i have no idea who Tinashe is, but she’s adorable and really good.  As is the blonde with big eyes.

that thing Nancy did was kind of bad.  Mary Lou looked like big bird jr, but the legs are enviable.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

So the first time I ever vote, they throw out the phone votes.  That was really stupid.  I voted for Evanna, just because.  I know very little about dancing, but watching Evanna tonight, I thought her dances have all had a certain sameness to them.  Is that just my ignorance, Keo's choreography, or a combination of the two?  (I won't be offended if other, more knowledgable viewers tell me it's my lack of knowledge at fault.)  I was sad they put John in jeopardy tonight.  I liked Nancy's fierceness in her paso doble--it gave her some personality.

Edited by magpye29 · Reason: I didn't say exactly what I meant.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you whoever did NOT have Val dance with Jenna tonight in the opening number. I'd watch Val dance 50 times with Sharna if I never had to see him dance with Jenna again.

What was up with the camera work tonight? After nearly every dance they'd cut to random people in the audience clapping rather than letting us see the partners interact at the end of the number. I don't mind when it's someone related to the dancer, like when they showed Camryn Manheim after Milo danced, but who cares about random people clapping?

WTF was up with throwing out the phone votes? And not announcing it until the last second? I wonder who was REALLY supposed to go home?

I don't like it at all when Tom does the interviews at the judge's table. The interviews with Erin lighten the mood before the scores. That doesn't happen when Tom does them and keeps them down at that table. If they're too short on time to send everyone up to Erin in the skybox, then keep her in the red room. Or tell people to just go directly to her rather than stopping to kiss, hug and high five everyone until Erin has to practically drag them over to the camera.

What's up with the tour cast? Talk about weak. They've lost Val and now they've lost Sharna, Lindsay and Keo. I don't know many people who are going to spend that kind of money to go see Gleb, Witney, Sasha and Emma. I guess Artem is the "star attraction" now?

Tinashe can go home any time now. She danced on stage with Britney Spears in Vegas? Really? That's the level of ringer I do NOT want to see on this show, especially up against people with no dance experience at all. Fortunately between her cocky attitude and Brandon not having much of a fan base, I see her going out middle of the pack.

Sad that Danelle left before MMY. I wanted to see them work the dog into the routine. Kudos to Artem, he did a great job with her. I just think the physical disability/handicap novelty has worn off for people and I wish they'd stop doing it now.

I love Nancy and want her to do well but she just seems so timid. There isn't a lot of personality being shown by her and she's being swallowed up by everyone else.

I am so over not just the Bachelor, but also Jenna. I don't care for her dancing and I think she's a lousy teacher. She got lucky with Adam because whoever was paired with him was going to win.....I don't give any of that credit to her. But this engagement to Val is unfortunately going to keep her in my face now.

Ugh, Donny Osmond. My worst nightmare.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, spanana said:

Even with the phone votes Danielle would have gone before Joe.  Joe for whatever dumb reason has legions of fans based off of his one appearance on the Bachelor.  

Joe was also on a whole season of Bachelor in Paradise this summer, so he's had time to build a fan base. Likable guy, terrible dancer. And other than his first dance this year, his outfits look like he could've walked off the street in them. No bling, nothing see-through or silky. Is he worried about his street cred?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Thank you whoever did NOT have Val dance with Jenna tonight in the opening number. I'd watch Val dance 50 times with Sharna if I never had to see him dance with Jenna again.

What was up with the camera work tonight? After nearly every dance they'd cut to random people in the audience clapping rather than letting us see the partners interact at the end of the number. I don't mind when it's someone related to the dancer, like when they showed Camryn Manheim after Milo danced, but who cares about random people clapping?

WTF was up with throwing out the phone votes? And not announcing it until the last second? I wonder who was REALLY supposed to go home?

I don't like it at all when Tom does the interviews at the judge's table. The interviews with Erin lighten the mood before the scores. That doesn't happen when Tom does them and keeps them down at that table. If they're too short on time to send everyone up to Erin in the skybox, then keep her in the red room. Or tell people to just go directly to her rather than stopping to kiss, hug and high five everyone until Erin has to practically drag them over to the camera.

What's up with the tour cast? Talk about weak. They've lost Val and now they've lost Sharna, Lindsay and Keo. I don't know many people who are going to spend that kind of money to go see Gleb, Witney, Sasha and Emma. I guess Artem is the "star attraction" now?

Tinashe can go home any time now. She danced on stage with Britney Spears in Vegas? Really? That's the level of ringer I do NOT want to see on this show, especially up against people with no dance experience at all. Fortunately between her cocky attitude and Brandon not having much of a fan base, I see her going out middle of the pack.

Sad that Danelle left before MMY. I wanted to see them work the dog into the routine. Kudos to Artem, he did a great job with her. I just think the physical disability/handicap novelty has worn off for people and I wish they'd stop doing it now.

I love Nancy and want her to do well but she just seems so timid. There isn't a lot of personality being shown by her and she's being swallowed up by everyone else.

I am so over not just the Bachelor, but also Jenna. I don't care for her dancing and I think she's a lousy teacher. She got lucky with Adam because whoever was paired with him was going to win.....I don't give any of that credit to her. But this engagement to Val is unfortunately going to keep her in my face now.

Ugh, Donny Osmond. My worst nightmare.

tinashe is not cocky at all. she is very sweet and confident. and yes she performed with britney spears because they had a duet together. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

More SNAP THOUGHTS!

I feel bad for Danelle, but outside of Joe going home (which sadly isn't happening for a while) this was the right choice. Kudos to Artem for trying...but what we saw from Danelle probably wasn't ever going to get much better or dynamic.

Speaking of Joe, oof he is so bad. Even giving him an almost content free (minus that one catch of Jenna) amorphous jazz piece couldn't hide how bad he is. When he is still up there meandering around aimlessly during the Top 7 or Top 6 week it's going to reach the level of greek tragedy or tragecomedy.

DeMarcus had a weird chicken wing thing going with his hold. I did think this might've been a quarter step back from his previous dances. Still the guy has personality for days and isn't going anywhere for a good long while.

JohnEmma is totally recycling her playbook from Bill Engvall's season. Lot's of character heavy pieces for John to sink his acting chops into and hopefully hide some of his stiffness and lack of finesse. I do wonder if he legitimately finished 11th tonight. I would say probably not.

Alexis didn't quite have a feel of a salsa completely down, but she still looked gorgeous and was able to pull of Alan's difficult lifts pretty well. I'm still hoping will get a growth arc from them. I think next week will be an emotional rollercoaster given the loss of her Mom.

Milo is kind of stealing the show for me at this point. Super versatile.

Evanna is a fun dancer who I still struggle to remember sometimes. I really have zero feel where she is going to finish up in this season. I could see her out in the next three weeks, I could also see her surprising big time and maybe making it all the way to Top 5.

Tinashe, part of my issue with her is that it just feels inevitable. She will always provide a competently danced piece that will score at the top of the leaderboard (or within a point if Len is feeling stingy). Every single week. And I'm just not vibing with Brandon. He was better tonight, I'll give him that I guess.

Bobby I feel like the judges were a week late in their wildness critiques...because for him he was relatively reserved compared to what we've seen from him so far.

Juan Pablo, Nancy, & MLR were also involved in tonight's two hour show.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LoveDance said:

Well finallly a Black Couple in contention but they won’t win. America won’t allow it. 

I hate to bring race into it but I agree. They are byfar the best couple to me and it has nothing to do with race tbh but they are just it for me. I love what Brandon is bringing to the show. I remember Len was hard on mark and derek when they first came to the show because they brought out of the box choreography but it paid off in the end because they became some of the fav pros ever to enter dwts and still hold that title today. Brandon is new and he is still learning and he will figure out how to give innovative choreography but still please judges like len at the same time. I think for his first time as being a pro being blessed with someone like Tinashe, he is killing it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I was crocheting while watching the show, mainly looking up to see actual performances.  But I did look up a couple of times to see the dancers lined up along the railing of that high interview room.  When Bobby and Sharna were even in the same frame, there seemed to be NO friendly interaction between them.  Sharna looked royally annoyed.

When all three judges tell a "star" to dial it down, the "star" should listen.  This isn't a comedy revue, and he is not a headline act.  Some of us never heard of him before last week, and hope to never hear of him again when he gets voted off (hopefully sooner, rather than later).

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having trouble liking Brandon personally.  I want to.  I feel like he has no real understanding of the gift he has been handed in Tinashe and he talks down to her or at her a bit.  That's the only reason I think she might have done better with Val is because he would have treated her more royally.  I think Brandon may be a better choreographer than Val, though and he's certainly more hungry.

I looked at Nancy's costume and thought, well, that's not too too bad - it could use more stiffening in the bodice, but it's kinda pretty and then she spread the skirts in paso doble style.  Good god people.  Could no one get the poor woman into dark blue leggings?  They had to put her in a navy body suit with BLACK pantyhose so that the whole bottom half of her body screamed matronly when she flourished her skirts?  No wonder she looked petrified instead of fierce -- she'd probably just got a look at herself in that pose before going on stage.  The costumers should be flogged.  I wasn't very impressed with her package or that dance.  I wanted to be.

I liked Keo dancing with Cheryl in that opening number -- they completely drew my eye from center stage Artem and Jenna.  I watched that last section of the opener 3X before I actually identified where Jenna was.  That's what I like.

Who the heck gets that excited about Celine Dion at that age?  I'd say that was some world class faking outta Witney AND Milo (although they are in the starstruck industry, I suppose).

Glad Danelle is gone and wish she'd never been cast.  I think that was a mistake and I suspect that is why she's gone.  She just read as terrified to me so often that it was uncomfortable.  No diss on Artem.  I just think it was a mistake because she's not enough of a fame whore to be happy with what she was going through.  I applaud the courage she definitely did have.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I think Brandon is a terrific, talented, personable addition to the show and I wish him a long career on DWTS if he wants it!  Love his choreography.  What I DO think will hold back Tinashe from actually getting the mirror ball are 2 things:  this is Brandon’s first season so he hasn’t had time to build up a longtime fan base and it’s hard for a perceived-ringer to win the whole thing.  This pair are a blast to watch and I may end up being wrong, but it seems like voters like the “transformed into a dancer” story.  Milo and Juan Pablo clearly have lots of dance experience too.  

On the other extreme, I don’t see Nancy or Bobby Bones winning, no matter how far they come in their dance skills.

Mary Lou did a very good job tonight — another surprise for me.  With all those aches and old injuries, she sure is fighting through.  

I wasn’t surprised that Danielle didn’t have enough votes.  I feel callous saying this but I never warmed up to her.  I found it interesting that the show spent some time on how blind she really is, an example of what she can see and how she knows just where to look when people are talking — I am positive they’ve heard rumblings and lots of questions from the Twitterverse or other venues.  

I WAS surprised that John was in jeopardy.

The voting system wonkiness tonight needs some explaining.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I'm having trouble liking Brandon personally.  I want to.  I feel like he has no real understanding of the gift he has been handed in Tinashe and he talks down to her or at her a bit.  That's the only reason I think she might have done better with Val is because he would have treated her more royally.  I think Brandon may be a better choreographer than Val, though and he's certainly more hungry.

O God, no. Val wouldnt know what to do with Tinasha. Brandon and her are the best match up next to milo and witney this season. Val would recycle her moves and phone it in because he knows she is too good and will sell anything like how he did normani on some of her dances. 

Im sorry its nothing wrong with Brandons choreography. Len is just old bag. He is nothing like Nigel on sytycd who is older man but loves to get buck and get down with young ones. Someone like nigel would be so team brandon and tinashe. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It sounds like you think I said Val was a better choreographer than Brandon, when I said I think it likely to be the opposite.  I said there was ONE WAY that Val might be better than Brandon for her and it is a fairly superficial one.

And on another note, I wa amused by the way Erin introduced Nancy's package (I think) saying that last night she had to dance on a broken foot as if it is now completely healed.  It's interesting how little attention they paid to that tonight.  I guess they wanted to air MLR's grievous aches instead and felt two older women in pain was too much for one show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

And on another note, I wa amused by the way Erin introduced Nancy's package (I think) saying that last night she had to dance on a broken foot as if it is now completely healed.  It's interesting how little attention they paid to that tonight.  I guess they wanted to air MLR's grievous aches instead and felt two older women in pain was too much for one show.

I'm shocked Erin didn't go on about how she danced on a broken foot when she did the show!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I get what Len was saying about there being a sameness to Tinashe's dancing. It's not her fault because she's not the one choreographing.. but each dance so far has looked similar in the type of dancing. I personally like the fast fun dances rather than the slow ones but that's just me. One thing that annoys me about Len is when he critiques basically anyone who has creativity in their dances. He always says that he just wants to see them dance and not have all the fluff around it but that is not on the dancers. The shows production gives them the song, and they obviously have to use the troupe occasionally in their dances or each dance would look the same week after week and no one would watch. It's why he didn't like Mark's style.. he was too creative for Len's taste.. and even though he's a judge and he's going to have personal views about what he likes vs. what he doesn't, production is choosing a lot of this, not the dancers.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Milo is kind of stealing the show for me at this point. Super versatile

He's quickly becoming my dark horse.  Witney has been doing a great, great job with the choreography too.

Maybe now that judges told Bobby to tone it down he'll chill? Sharna looks fed up.

Why do I get this feeling Juan and Cheryl arent getting the votes? Im really loving them together but I think he's already getting lost a little and two nights in a row they were IMO overscored.

I still refuse to watch Juniors but it made my heart happy to see Jordan and Frankie last night.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I wish John would not be in jeopardy every time.  Honestly he is one of my favorites.  I find him entertaining, fun, and smooth....  Of course there are better dancers but I hope he sticks around.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, alexa said:

I wish John would not be in jeopardy every time.  Honestly he is one of my favorites.  I find him entertaining, fun, and smooth....  Of course there are better dancers but I hope he sticks around.

I don't think it necessarily means John was in jeopardy for real last night.  I also don't really totally count his jeopardy from last week since he was let out of jeopardy fairly early on without having to dance.  If he had danced, then sure.  They might have even done it just to give John's fans a bit of a wake up cool to get them to vote.

My personal feeling is Nancy could have been actual B2, but I don't think they would have made her sweat it out again if she wasn't going home this week.  Especially since they made her sweat it out last week.  They try to mix it up a little unless they are doing actual B2.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I felt bad for Danielle, but she looked petrified out there. It was time for her to go. I wish Joe and Bobby would go next, but that is never going to happen. 

Evanna, Mary Lou and Juan Pablo have all really improved. Evanna and Milo are too cute.

And dang, Juan Pablo is fine!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Maybe now that judges told Bobby to tone it down he'll chill? Sharna looks fed up.

It seems like they tell him that every week, but he doesn't seem to be listening. He looks like he has some ability and he could be somewhat decent if he listened to Sharna. I think if he toned it down, he could get a far better score.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

One of the worst things that ever happened to this show was the addition of the troupe. I so miss the days when it was just the pro and celeb out on the floor doing the required dance without all the bells and whistles.

I don’t get this.  First of all, I don’t know who any of the stars are except Mary Lou and Joe.  When people start dancing, then other people join in, I don’t know who is who.  Why do they do this?  It’s annoying, especially when you don’t know who to watch. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Nancy gave it a good try but those pants - oh my (not that I would look any better in them but I am not on national tv).   But she is almost making me like Val.   And good for Emma for trying to be creative but I thought John's dance last night was strange and didn't really  get what she was going for.     STOP with the Jr's.  DWTS.   I am not watching them and no amount of pimping will make me.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, penbrat said:

STOP with the Jr's.  DWTS.   I am not watching them and no amount of pimping will make me.

Kids doing ballroom is creepy.  There is sexual innuendo in most dances and in some it is blatant; it does not play well with children.   

Edited by Wings
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think kids ballroom dancing is creepy, but I don't have any interest in watching DWTS junior. I wish TPTB would quit shoving it in our faces every week. As a parent, though, I don't think kids should be in show business, but that's an entirely different issue. Most of their parents are probably fame whores who are living vicariously through their kids (Bristol Palin and Mama June definitely).

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, twilightzone said:

Grocery Joe is the Joke Contestant.  He can't dance, period.  He's obviously getting sympathy votes.  How embarrassing.  Unfortunately, he will continue to get through - at the expense of better dancers.

Anyone else think he is totally awkward? I don't know why Erin bothers interviewing him. He never says anything but one word answers and he so looks like he doesn't want to be there. How did this guy get all these TV shows with no charisma?

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t get this.  First of all, I don’t know who any of the stars are except Mary Lou and Joe.  When people start dancing, then other people join in, I don’t know who is who.  Why do they do this?  It’s annoying, especially when you don’t know who to watch. 

I always figured they did this for the weakest celebrity dancers, to cause a distraction so that you don't notice how bad they are.

13 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Anyone else think he is totally awkward? I don't know why Erin bothers interviewing him. He never says anything but one word answers and he so looks like he doesn't want to be there. How did this guy get all these TV shows with no charisma?

I think he signed some kind of contract when he went on The Bachelor and now he's stuck doing whatever they tell him to do. Maybe people like his "regular guy"-ness.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Anyone else think he is totally awkward? I don't know why Erin bothers interviewing him. He never says anything but one word answers and he so looks like he doesn't want to be there. How did this guy get all these TV shows with no charisma?

He’s good looking with a winning smile.  That’s it.  He lasted all through Bachelor In Paradise because of the showmance with Kendall, but all he did was lie around like a lump .  And Erin did seem frustrated trying to pull a word or two from him.  I get that people are painfully shy, but get over it or off the damn TV.  And he is totally awkward.    Seems uncomfortable around women, and for such a good looking guy, he has no sex appeal.  Maybe he’s an asexual introvert.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Uke said:

Hmmm looks like Nancy's big bird outfit from last week got remade into Mary Lou's little bird outfit.

 

I just had to LOL at this.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I find myself in the sad position of feeling sorry for Grocery Joe. Let me explain. First, I am not a fan of Grocery Joe. I watch every season of The Bachelor/ette and Bachelor in Paradise so I knew who he was, and I have nothing against the guy, but it makes no sense that he would have been picked to do this show. He is probably just here for a paycheck and to show that great smile on TV again. He clearly HATES the dancing and performing aspect. He has no experience with any of this and is so uncomfortable to watch. Then he tries to take his critiques with a smile and EVERY JUDGE AND HOST is bringing up how uncomfortable he looks and how he is "never happy," and I just think it's unnecessary. He clearly already feels vaguely humiliated, there is no need to point out the obvious that he seems upset or seems like he felt as if he danced badly. That said, could/should Joe have said "no" to doing DWTS, absolutely he should have. I just feel a bit of pity for him, which turns this feel-good lighthearted show into a bit of a bummer. Of course his fans won't put him out of his misery, but I wish they would.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

That said, could/should Joe have said "no" to doing DWTS, absolutely he should have.

I agree with everything you said about  Joe, @ClareWalks, except for the above. We don't know what contract(s) he signed for B-ette and BIP, and when Harrison told him he was signed up for this show, he looked absolutely gobsmacked and not happy. I get the impression ABC owns him right now and has been trying to turn him into a "somebody." I feel sorry for him being the butt of judge rude "jokes" instead of encouraged.

Interestingly, he is what this show USED to be, people without any dance experience. He would have fit well back in season 1 or 2.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I agree with everything you said about  Joe, @ClareWalks, except for the above. We don't know what contract(s) he signed for B-ette and BIP, and when Harrison told him he was signed up for this show, he looked absolutely gobsmacked and not happy. I get the impression ABC owns him right now and has been trying to turn him into a "somebody." I feel sorry for him being the butt of judge rude "jokes" instead of encouraged.

Interestingly, he is what this show USED to be, people without any dance experience. He would have fit well back in season 1 or 2.

Oh lord, I didn't even consider the horrifying possibility that he was FORCED to do this show. That makes everything much, much worse. It's just a ceaseless parade of humiliation and not even by choice.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think they can force anyone to do this show. What they could have done was make him agree to projects of their choosing as a condition of doing the Bachelor. He could have said "no" to the Bachelor for that reason, as most people would have done. But surely he saw fame and dollar signs, and signed anyway.

That said, yeah, I don't think the judges need to be rude to him or anyone else. Everyone on the cast, including the duds and the ringers, was asked to do the show. So the judges need to shut up and stick to constructive criticism.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

In 27 seasons, I have only rooted for a handful of male celebs over the years. Mostly because many of them get praise and votes for doing half the quantity and quality of dancing as the talented female celebs.

But these past two weeks, I've been LOVING Milo. He's been dancing his butt off and it's been so exciting for me to watch him and Witney. Even with the posture issue, I though their tango was really well done (and I liked the Celine Dion song) and their Charleston was my favorite dance from Monday night.

Another couple I'm really rooting for are Alexis and Alan. I think she's a beautiful dancer, Alan's been challenging her, and the two of them are really sweet together. I liked both their dances this week, though I would have given the higher score to their salsa.

Does Evanna remind anyone else of Nastia Liukin? I think Evanna's doing a great job as well and she probably overtakes Jodie Sweetin as Keo' best partner. Samba and jive are strong dances for Keo because I remember Jodie doing well with these dances too.

Since I like watching good dancing I naturally also like Tinashe and Brandon.

Demarcus and Juan Pablo are natural movers, but for me, their charisma is outweighing their dance skills right now, which, as I mentioned at the top of this post, doesn't make me inclined to root for them as much.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

When Bobby and Sharna were even in the same frame, there seemed to be NO friendly interaction between them.  Sharna looked royally annoyed.

I think it's clear Sharna straight-up hates him. I find it hilarious.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I get what Len was saying about there being a sameness to Tinashe's dancing. It's not her fault because she's not the one choreographing.. but each dance so far has looked similar in the type of dancing. I personally like the fast fun dances rather than the slow ones but that's just me. One thing that annoys me about Len is when he critiques basically anyone who has creativity in their dances. He always says that he just wants to see them dance and not have all the fluff around it but that is not on the dancers. The shows production gives them the song, and they obviously have to use the troupe occasionally in their dances or each dance would look the same week after week and no one would watch. It's why he didn't like Mark's style.. he was too creative for Len's taste.. and even though he's a judge and he's going to have personal views about what he likes vs. what he doesn't, production is choosing a lot of this, not the dancers.

I recall back in Chelsea Kane's season (S12) after Len took Mark to task, on camera, about the so-called "Harry Potter Dance", Viennese Waltz, Mark said after the show, Len came up to him and told him he really did love the dance.  Mark said he was lost for words, stared at Len for a moment and just walked away.  (Mark took a beating that season in public opinion as he really started to flex his creativity muscles!)  Len, of course, is an old family friend of the Ballases and has known Mark since childhood.  So it's hard to say IMO what Len actually likes or dislikes and what comments are coming from him vs what may be coming from production.  As you say, production is crafting a lot of this, including possibly comment suggestions.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t get this.  First of all, I don’t know who any of the stars are except Mary Lou and Joe.  When people start dancing, then other people join in, I don’t know who is who.  Why do they do this?  It’s annoying, especially when you don’t know who to watch. 

Pretty sure this often times is the point.  If the star isn't doing so good, throw in a lot of distraction so that hopefully you'll be impressed with the overall production and think the star did better than they actually did.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×