Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I love Laurence Fishburne!

I came to post the same quote with the same sentiment.

Any episode he appears in is instantly better. It's more poignant, insightful, and yes funnier. I appreciate how he can play it up or down just right.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I came to post the same quote with the same sentiment.

Any episode he appears in is instantly better. It's more poignant, insightful, and yes funnier. I appreciate how he can play it up or down just right.

"Blonde hair, always outside...I know a snitch when I see one" was my favorite. 

At some point, Diane is going to be taller than Junior, isn't she? She outgrew Jack in a real hurry.

• Love 5

Having an Airbnb in the neighborhood would be a nightmare. If someone was literally blocking my driveway, I would most likely knock on the door and address it with them before I involved the cops, though. I had a neighbor when I lived in a condo that would blast his music so loud that my husband and I had to address it with him on several occasions - each time he would lower and apologize profusely, yet a week or two later he'd be blasting it again.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Having an Airbnb in the neighborhood would be a nightmare. If someone was literally blocking my driveway, I would most likely knock on the door and address it with them before I involved the cops, though. I had a neighbor when I lived in a condo that would blast his music so loud that my husband and I had to address it with him on several occasions - each time he would lower and apologize profusely, yet a week or two later he'd be blasting it again.

It never stop confusing how people can be so ignorant and insensitive to the people around them. I know have  neighbor in my apartment complex that slams every door on his way inside, drops everything all over the place so it thuds on the floor constantly and blasts his tv so loud that I regularly hear exactly what he's watching. Before him, I never even heard someone's tv on in that apartment. I've had like four above me before him. He also never turns the tv off so even at 4 in the morning it's still going.

But, people like that don't actually care so going to them wont stop anything long term. If they cared, they would always be considerate.

I loved everything with Diane tonight. It felt so genuine compared to the heightened comedy the show sometimes goes to. Bow also got a chance to kick ass and be respected as a mom.

• Love 8

I actually became friends with my former downstairs neighbor when I went and knocked on his door at 3 AM on a weeknight and asked him to turn down his music. He knew he was wrong. (As I was walking down the stairs, I heard someone on his floor yell "SHUT THE FUCK UP.")

My friend lives in a building where one of his neighbors rents out a unit for Airbnb and everyone hates it and the person renting out the apartment. Random people show up at my friend's door trying to borrow towels.

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I loved everything with Diane tonight. It felt so genuine compared to the heightened comedy the show sometimes goes to. Bow also got a chance to kick ass and be respected as a mom.

I felt so bad for Diane getting her 13-year-old heart broken. Poor thing!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

My friend lives in a building where one of his neighbors rents out a unit for Airbnb and everyone hates it and the person renting out the apartment. Random people show up at my friend's door trying to borrow towels.

Omg I would never answer my door, Lol!

I felt bad for Diane, too, first because Zoe just blew her off, and second because the guy got freaked over a few emojis. If that were me, I probably would have laughed and said what the heck do you mean by those? Then again, I'm not a 13-14 year-old boy, so what do I know?

• Love 5

Sorry everyone I thought the episode was just so so. (I did laugh after they all bought lemonade from the little girl after they called the police)

I am just here to shout out to Diane's Pixel 3 phone. Wooo !

Edited by sjankis630
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

They ignore the baby so much, they actually made a joke about it.  They don't deserve him. Or Junior.

It's just down right bad now and just showing they really shouldn't have written Baby D into the show just because the creator of the series had a "surprise child" so late in life. It's not even funny, it's badly written and even makes some of the story lines from last season just look even more badly written. This is a couple that had 4 kids, survived ups and downs with all four kids and are still dealing with them. Yet, they act like they don't know how much time goes into a kid that just over a year old. 

• Love 7

Any episode with lots of Pops is automatically a better episode than one without it. Dre calling the cops on the kids selling lemonade was hilarious. Dre has just been waiting his whole life to become a snitch. Well, a snitch to an extent anyway. 

I still wish Junior was at college. I would miss him, but its better than him just awkwardly hanging around. Maybe they should have just sent Junior to a college closer by, so he can show up sometimes, the way Zoey does. Speaking of, hi Ana! Looking forward to Grown-ish coming back! 

Liked the Diane plot a lot as well, and it allowed Bow to show her mom talents a lot more. Them ignoring poor little Devonte is just sad though. If the show didnt want to use the baby, why did they even write a baby plot in the first place?!?

• Love 7

When did Bow go back to work? She mentioned this epi she had to go to work.  If she's back at work and Jr was supposed to be at college, shouldn't/wouldn't a nanny be back? 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, Gothish520 said:

I would most likely knock on the door and address it with them before I involved the cops,

Thanks to the always fun and ridiculous NextDoor app, I know that nobody will talk to neighbors anymore, "you just never know," is the common refrain. 

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, Empress1 said:

I actually became friends with my former downstairs neighbor when I went and knocked on his door at 3 AM on a weeknight and asked him to turn down his music. He knew he was wrong. (As I was walking down the stairs, I heard someone on his floor yell "SHUT THE FUCK UP.")

I would (to stay on topic) take the lemons to lemonade approach and buy towels at the Dollar Tree and then sell them for ten bucks each (twenty if they're the fancy ones from Big Lots).  Dopp kits, toiletries and washing up packets?  The sky's the limit!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Dee said:

It definitely is.

I feel like Bow comes across more as a worried mother than a bully, but she can be a bit rough on Zoe. But then again, Zoe can be really self-absorbed and flippant about things, with her eye-rolling and "whatever"s. Typical teen/young adult, I know, but it would still bug me. 

Dre has been really rough on Junior at times, but I take it for what it is - exaggerated comedy. It's basically a running joke, which some will appreciate and some won't. For the most part, I laugh. And Junior does have his own issues. 

I don't see Dre as the "bad" parent and Bow as the "good" one, though - they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I found myself sympathising more with Dre than Bow during their separation.

• Love 3

I don't want to weigh on on grown-ish one way or the other,  but I do love the idea of a show featuring Junior at Howard. I hope ABC decides to do that, and that they only delayed it because they didn't want to start two spin-offs so close to the same time. In that regard, it made sense for Zoey to get the first show.

I have always really liked Junior. He manages to be one of those "good, responsible kids" without coming across fake.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2018 at 1:50 AM, Tasha Brand said:

I really thought that they were building up to Diane asking Bow for help after spending all episode denying her help.  Instead, Diane tanks her date with a couple of weird emojis?  I honestly felt that that felt very random.  Why she just have asked Bow for help when Zoey was unavailable.

Speaking of Zoey, was that Ana with her?

I got to say that I did not think what Zoey did was all that bad. I get it, she threw Bow out, but Bow is damn embarrassing and clueless when it comes to this stuff. So, Zoey is in college doing her own thing, but get a lecture from Bow about not leaving her sister behind like a skirt? The same Bow who often forgets that she has a baby or thinks "Junior will take care of it"? Bow also seemed mean to Zoey's friend for no reason.

• Love 3
On 10/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, Dee said:

She went back to work during the four episode separation arc at the end of last season.

I seem to have completely forgotten that 4 episode arc at the end of last season. I know I watched it, but I forgot basically everything about it. 

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I thought they wrote Zoey off because the actor was actually going to college.   However, if that were the case, it seems like it would have been much harder on her to film Grown-ish since she was the lead.  

I would also watch a show about Junior at Howard, but I'd want it to be more realistic than Grown-ish.  I realize it's been decades since I've been in college, so maybe midnight classes taught by random crazy people who don't have advanced degrees is a thing nowadays?  

• Love 4

The family is shocked to learn that Jack and Diane are not familiar with the iconic music of Prince. One by one, each member of the family works to explain Prince’s tremendous impact on their lives through his music.

Airs November 13, 2018.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Good episode, and, for me, spot on.   7th grade absolute worst year of school.

Yes!  I remember my 7th grade science teacher telling us that middle school would be the worst years of our life.  At the time, I thought he was being ridiculous.  Now, almost 25 years later, I look back and realize that he was completely right!  

Definitely my favorite episode of the season so far.

• Love 8

I completely lost it at the kids fleeing the Haunted House, especially "THAT BABY HAD A KNIFE!" and the mother hysterically screaming out for Joshua.

Also giggled at Dre asking Bow if she went to middle school at the Apollo after she told him she was voted Most Likely to Survive a Car Crash in seventh grade.

• Love 18

"Now go to your room and think about what you did!"

"REALLY?!?!?!?!"

"What? Ewww, No!"

Hahahaha. I really liked this version of Ruby. Just the right amount of Sass tonight and she actually figures well into the plot.

I remember my first middle school breakdown when I learned the power of rumours and gossip all because I told my friend who my crush was... Damn

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 17

I liked this episode. I honestly think Bow and Dre balance each other out. I was surprised learn that Diana would let anyone bully her but she is a child who is going through growing pains. So, I understand why she doesn't want any labels attached to her at this point. Also, I thought Jack was popular but apparently not. 

Saying all of that, I call BS on both Bow Dre and Bow letting Junior sit at home doing nothing. The whole point of gap year is to find yourself and Junior is not gonna do that by sitting at home. Both Dre and Bow should have expected him to get a job and volunteer at charity he is passionate about. Seriously, the show is doing this whole gap year thing wrong. 

I did however love the hug between him and Ruby. I hope she motivates him to be more since the parents are not doing it. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

I did however love the hug between him and Ruby. I hope she motivates him to be more since the parents are not doing it. 

I really liked the Junior/Ruby interaction and I totally 'awww-ed' at the hug. I agree that Junior has got to start doing something. No way my mom would have let me get away with sitting around eating and doing nothing.

Junior High/Middle School was nerve wracking. The pressure to fit in and not be an outcast...yikes.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Yes!  I remember my 7th grade science teacher telling us that middle school would be the worst years of our life.  At the time, I thought he was being ridiculous.  Now, almost 25 years later, I look back and realize that he was completely right!  

100%. There is nothing in the world anyone could offer me to go back to being 12. Nothing. I was an early bloomer. Kids, especially other girls, were horrible. I'm flashing back to all the friend-group breakups there were in middle school. LORD.

The way Ruby said "You can't be running around my church having relations with people!" had me rolling. When Bow told Dre she was about to punch a kid and tossed him her purse and he dropped it, that was a great bit of physical comedy. This was a REALLY funny episode.

When Bow and Dre announced their party plans, I was like "Throw in some grown-up drinks with that pizza and I'd fuck with that party!"

So Junior really is just straight up sitting around doing nothing, huh? Hmph.

• Love 11

I was really worried when the girl was vague about her college plans that she was actually still in high school and much younger and that they weren't 'together together' all night but that there would be misunderstanding and wacky hijinx. I was glad the show didn't go there. 

• Love 3

Great episode.  Middle school is definitely the most terrifying 2-3 years of everyone's life.  Perfect for a Halloween focus. 

I'm still cracking up at the one kid sitting in a corner in the front yard, curled into a ball and shaking, while everyone else is running from the house.  LMAO!

I also loved the call back to the always dangerous, "You up?" texts from Grownish.  Junior out here growing into himself, with no job, scoring all the girls.  Honestly, I had to google his age cause let's just say he was looking a little too good as Kilmonger......it made me feel dirty so I needed to confirm he was indeed legal.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 12
On 10/30/2018 at 5:45 AM, NannyBails said:

I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I thought they wrote Zoey off because the actor was actually going to college.   However, if that were the case, it seems like it would have been much harder on her to film Grown-ish since she was the lead.  

They did.  But then the backdoor pilot got picked up and she decided to do her own gap year/push back her start date.

• Love 2

So did I miss something or did they kill the dog off offscreen at some point? Poor doggie. Anyway, very strong episode. Middle school is indeed social torture. And I'm in agreement that some demands need to be made of Junior if he's living there rent-free.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

So did I miss something or did they kill the dog off offscreen at some point? Poor doggie.

Dre mentioned the dog last week - I think he wanted to take it with him when talking to the neighbor about their loud parties, but I'm not 100% sure about it. He definitely mentioned the dog though.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Luciano said:

Dre mentioned the dog last week - I think he wanted to take it with him when talking to the neighbor about their loud parties, but I'm not 100% sure about it. He definitely mentioned the dog though.

He did, and it legit took me a few minutes after that to remember that they do indeed have a dog. 

I really like this show but it is one of the worst offenders when it comes to having characters who are only ever seen and/or mentioned when the plot needs them around. Poor baby and doggo must be hanging out together wondering when someone will remember they exist.

• Love 3

I loved that the scariest aspect of this Halloween episode was the horror that is seventh grade. Kids are so mean at that age and they'll turn on you for the littlest things.

I also loved that even after Jack and Diane got back up on top thanks to Pee Pee Carter, Bow knew it was only temporary.

• Love 11

7th grade is, indeed, the worst. Something about being in that awkward stage between childhood and teenager, with all those hormones raging, just turn 7th graders into horrible monster children. I cried so much in 7th grade that I had a specific bathroom stall I went to, and I had to start wearing waterproof mascara! Bow is right, Jack and Diane. Enjoy being on top while it lasts. 7th graders are unforgiving. 

I always like when Junior and Ruby have plots together, he really brings out the best side of her. I guess Junior has to do his gap year because he needs to be a stay at home brother for poor, overlooked DeVonte.

• Love 5