Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: I'm Not the Person I Used to Be

1 hour ago, DianeDobbler said:

Aline Brosh McKenna said that when she sees her exes on their social media accounts they seem like different people / look like different people. And that's really common and usual. She said this with the assurance of someone saying something true, but is it? I've never heard anyone else say that nor is it my experience. It's closer to be like - is that Joe? Yep, same old Joe. 

Did everyone who read that quote from her go - yeah! It's totally true! When you look at pics of your exes, you don't even recognize them!? Because it's news to me. Never heard that one before and wondering if it's a convenient truth ABM made up for these circumstances.

The only time that's true for me is when I'm seeing them for the 1st time 30 years later.  She's 51, so that could be true of her too!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, taragel said:

.I could see a "I choose me" ending now--in fact that would make more sense than Rebecca ending up with Josh, Greg or Nathaniel.

I'd be okay with an "I choose me" ending for Rebecca.  I don't think tons of shows do it and it'd especially make sense considering how the show has focused on why her love interests didn't work.  At the same time, if the show wants to send a message, I don't think it's "people with mental illnesses don't deserve love."

So I can see Rebecca ending up with someone at the end of the series but it might be best if it's not any of her current love interests.

Did everyone who read that quote from her go - yeah! It's totally true!

I could see it if it's an ex from high school that a person hasn't seen in ten years but two years?  Nah.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Iseut said:

That song was perfect. In high school, hubby was a band nerd and I was a drama geek...we were dying laughing throughout and had to pause when they got to the massage circles! HA! Nailed it. Oh, show...you get me.

We did massage circles every day in choir during warm ups so I was cracking up over that part too!

As for why Greg went to the reunion at all, I assumed it was because he had the same attitude/experience as several people I know: they weren't super excited about going to the reunion but since it was convenient (meaning they didn't have to drive two hours or get on a plane), they went out of curiosity/obligation, and once they got there they realized they had no desire to talk to these people and left as soon as possible. I remember one girl I know went to her 10 year high school reunion (she lived in the same large city so it was a 15 minute drive for her). About five minutes after she arrived, she realized there was a reason she hadn't kept in touch with any of these people since graduating. She got drunk (she wanted to get her money's worth out of the $50 ticket she paid for) and called another friend to leave a drunk message that went something like this: "Remember when we wondered what our high school reunion would be like? It's just like high school. I'm getting the hell out of here! Well, after I have one more drink."

For the record, I don't think all high school reunions are bad, but it definitely depends on what your expectations are. Greg is apparently still in touch with Josh, Hector, and White Josh (at least enough to tell them not to let Rebecca know when he came to town previously). For someone like Greg who is still friends with a few people from high school, that's probably enough for him so he's not invested in reconnecting with everyone from high school at the reunion. There's nothing wrong with that and I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving once he realized that he didn't want to be there. Why waste two hours making small talk with people who you aren't friends with anyway?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can imagine high school Josh being a golden retriever kind of popular kid. 

The fact that he cheerfully and effortlessly said hello to every person by name shows me why he was popular. He wasn't some slimey salesman who made flashcards to memorize people's names and hobbies. Josh genuinely enjoys being around people. It's obvious that he isn't faking his enthusiasm. Being able to make people feel like you are truly interested in them and what they have to say is a huge part of getting people to like you, and Josh does that without any effort. At my high school, the most popular people who were elected homecoming and prom king/queen were always the nicest people (I say that without irony because I definitely wasn't one of them). Even people who hated the whole popularity contest of it all would begrudgingly say, "Yeah, Gina really is one of the nicest girls."

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd be okay with an "I choose me" ending for Rebecca.  I don't think tons of shows do it and it'd especially make sense considering how the show has focused on why her love interests didn't work.  At the same time, if the show wants to send a message, I don't think it's "people with mental illnesses don't deserve love."

So I can see Rebecca ending up with someone at the end of the series but it might be best if it's not any of her current love interests.

I could see it if it's an ex from high school that a person hasn't seen in ten years but two years?  Nah.

Agreed but I don't know that choosing herself says she doesn't deserve love--those are pretty separate concepts. In fact, I could definitely see it be all about how none of the three guys are it, they're just the milestones she needed along the way ("The Good Place was the friends we made....") but then in the last few minutes she meets someone, there's a potential spark and you see a crazy gleam come into Rebecca's eye. Almost the way horror movies sometimes have that "Oh no, this shit isn't over, is it?" kind of end tease. Lol.  Not because I think Rebecca hasn't learned and changed and grown but....I could see them wanting to hint that love will always have the potential to make you crazy.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The fact that he cheerfully and effortlessly said hello to every person by name shows me why he was popular. He wasn't some slimey salesman who made flashcards to memorize people's names and hobbies. Josh genuinely enjoys being around people. It's obvious that he isn't faking his enthusiasm. Being able to make people feel like you are truly interested in them and what they have to say is a huge part of getting people to like you, and Josh does that without any effort. At my high school, the most popular people who were elected homecoming and prom king/queen were always the nicest people (I say that without irony because I definitely wasn't one of them). Even people who hated the whole popularity contest of it all would begrudgingly say, "Yeah, Gina really is one of the nicest girls."

Definitely. Also, I had a moment of "wow, his friends really are kind of shitty to/about him" when they were rolling their eyes at this. It felt the same as the way everyone was warning Rachel not to hang out with Darryl a few weeks ago. I guess it's realistic, friends do shit talk about each other behind backs, but still kind of makes me annoyed at all of them. Be nice to your friends!!

• Love 2

Never thought about it before but it's true that the nicest people get elected things at school. In highschool, the class president was somebody I couldn't even say who her best friends or clique was. She was nice to everybody, smart, funny, good-humored, personable, accessible. Didn't have any kind of label like smart kid (although it turned out she tied for the highest score in the school on the National Merit Scholarship test), jock, etc. Very very dependable - she'd do what she said she'd do, and no drama, but easy to take her for granted. The sort of person if she disappeared you'd realize she was pretty rare and irreplaceable (she filled a lot of roles at school that others didn't care about, like playing piano for all the glee club rehearsals). 

Yeah, after 30 years you're not going to recognize people if you haven't seen them in the interim, but Aileen was talking specifically about ex-es, and, of course, it had been only two years since Rebecca had seen Greg. So I think ABM just pulled that one out of her hind end to sell the idea of the recast. They always seem to become hyper enthusiastic bringing on someone new. Their enthusiasm for Astin reminds me of their enthusiasm for Scott Michael Thomas. I guess they just love it when someone fits in immediately.

A Vulture review mentioned that "Other Rebecca a/k/a Deborah" is really unfunny, and I agree. I get the point that this perfect seeming person is kind of unhinged, but just about nothing out of her mouth has been amusing, IMO.

And this is born out because no sooner is Josh deflated to learn he wasn't elected prom king, that he is very happily bonding with a table of nerds, willing to find out all about them, finding common ground (Josh, also, liked magic in high school) and honestly enjoying himself. He's got an open heart.

Darryl can be a lot, but who wouldn't want him as a boss, particularly in a boutique-y type law firm (Mountainhead functions like one despite being now co-owned by a larger entity)? Just feels like picking on the un-cool person.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1

A Vulture review mentioned that "Other Rebecca a/k/a Deborah" is really unfunny, and I agree. I get the point that this perfect seeming person is kind of unhinged, but just about nothing out of her mouth has been amusing, IMO.

The first time they did the gag I was very 'meh. It's been hit or miss for me, and I forget if I laughed at the one from this episode, but a couple of them did have me cracking up. It's a non sequitur bit and dependent on its non sequitur-ness, and I'm OK with that and accept that some of them will be duds.

• Love 4

My exes seem like themselves to me. I don't think people change that much. Even after aging, you can recognize them. But after just a few years? They always look pretty much the same and definitely recognizeable to me.

I agree about Josh's open-heartedness and sincerity.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

My exes seem like themselves to me. I don't think people change that much. Even after aging, you can recognize them. But after just a few years? They always look pretty much the same and definitely recognizeable to me.

This is interesting to me because I just had this experience.  I found an ex of mine that didn't have a Facebook account until recently.  I hadn't seen him since 1988.  I'm really good with faces and even I almost didn't think it was him at first but he has a very unusual last name and given other identifying information on his Facebook page, it had to be him.  A lot can change about a person in 30 years.  Of course, on this show it's only been a couple of years since Rebecca's seen Greg so that's just BS.  Then again I once ran into a guy I knew from high school only about 10 years or so later and I didn't recognize him AT ALL.  I doubt anyone would have, LOL.  He tapped me on the shoulder in midtown Manhattan and for the first 5 minutes I had no clue who he was until he mentioned some things that gave his identity away.  He had gained at least 50 lbs. and had gone from thick long-ish hair to completely bald.  Sometimes that's all it takes to make someone completely unrecognizable.  Like on that show "Undercover Boss", sometimes something as minor as a big mustache can do the trick, LOL.

I wasn't feeling SAstin as Greg either and, as others have said, hope he'll grow into the role. Mainly, though, I could not get past the five pounds of slap they put on his face. He looked poreless and Photoshopped. (Hi, WhiJo, nice to have you back, however briefly!) (Kamala Hare-is for the win.)

• Love 1

If Rebecca ends up with anyone, I hope it's Josh.
He's kind and accepting. Not stupid, just a little ignorant, but Rebecca is smart enough for both of them. I suspect he coasted through high school without needing to study to get passing or slightly better grades, which you can't do if you are stupid. (None of the high school friends seem to have pursued any more education, except eventually Greg and of course George.)

He's not lazy. He is currently holding down two jobs.

He might encourage Rebecca to get back into some form of law that makes her happier than conveyancing, because the pretzel stand is not even a living wage thing, and they will need the income. He has retail experience which would help with the pretzel business until it fails, because it's based on a fad.

Her mother likes him. His mother likes her.

It would be nice for the Asian guy to get the girl for a change.

• Love 4

But since it was nearly impossible -- and since, like Valencia and Heather, I think Rebecca and Greg were the show's endgame (at least back then. I don't know about now) his character had to be dealt with.

I don't know that they show had to bring Greg back regardless of whether or not Santino Fontana was available. I think the fact that Greg and Rebecca didn't work out and he left town was enough closure for that character. It seems to me more like there was some sort of stubborn plan in place to revisit this no matter what and, for me anyway, it just didn't work. It lacked the emotion they were going for if not the humor because it's a completely different person and it's only been 2 years.

• Love 12

I just rewatched the pilot and noticed that this episode contained a callback to it: When Rebecca first meets Greg and goes to a party with him, and it quickly becomes apparent that she's only there for Josh, Greg says: "If you were into him, I'd totally get it - he's good looking, built like a brick, he knows magic..." :)

• Love 3

Late to catch up:

New Greg is weird, but I'm willing to see where they go with this. But I disagree that Greg is Rebecca's "meant to be", and I hope they end up together. I had already soured on them as a couple since Season 2.

This one was pretty funny, though. The "series... of holidays" jokes! And poor Class President Hector! the Bartender!

But speaking of meta -- they said that the show would be ending Valentine's Day, but that doesn't match up with the scheduling and the number of episodes that are left.

Father Brah and Valencia is a retcon. It worked for this episode, but I don't think it holds up based on everything previous.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, femmefan1946 said:

If Rebecca ends up with anyone, I hope it's Josh.
He's kind and accepting. Not stupid, just a little ignorant, but Rebecca is smart enough for both of them. I suspect he coasted through high school without needing to study to get passing or slightly better grades, which you can't do if you are stupid. (None of the high school friends seem to have pursued any more education, except eventually Greg and of course George.)

He's not lazy. He is currently holding down two jobs.

He might encourage Rebecca to get back into some form of law that makes her happier than conveyancing, because the pretzel stand is not even a living wage thing, and they will need the income. He has retail experience which would help with the pretzel business until it fails, because it's based on a fad.

Her mother likes him. His mother likes her.

It would be nice for the Asian guy to get the girl for a change.

I actually don't want Josh and Rebecca together yet again, but I agree with you that Josh is a good guy, though he does have his flaws. I wish the show worked as hard on him as they did with Nathaniel. He's been mostly ignored or developed only superficially.

• Love 1

I hope they do NOT make Rebecca and Greg the OTP. I am really liking seeing her make good choices and be generally healthy, and I just don't buy the romantic fantasy ending of her and Greg being soulmates or whatever Valencia and Heather were saying.

Skylar Astin's voice has a timbre similar to Santino's so there were moments where I thought he sounded passably close to Greg 1.0, but my main takeaway was how glad I was when Rebecca pointed out to Valencia and Heather that her relationship with Greg was terrible and toxic and that they fought all the time. That's definitely not the kind of history that should make you want to jump back into a relationship with someone. 

I agree about there being a few moments when I could hear a similarity between their voices. But I think Santino's sound is a little warmer and Skylar has more of that in the mask, almost nasal contemporary musical theater sound. Anyway, I feel like they'd have to do something completely different to make Santino's Greg and Rebecca the OTP. Skylar's Greg works because it does so much to wipe the slate clean. It's hard to remember all the toxic stuff. But the point is that they do have all that baggage (and chemistry, bonding, etc.). If they wanted a real clean slate, they could have written a new stranger into the show. I can see where Greg makes sense in the structure of the show. In the beginning, he was always there. The guy pining for her while watching her chase Josh even though he could see most of the terrible stuff she was doing.

Also, I know she's the lead, but IMO Rebecca as played by Bloom is less plausibly intoxicating to so many arrested development men.

I was thinking the same thing. Even allowing that Rebecca seems to attract men with issues, being relatively pretty and having a decent/good job (I'm thinking about when she was a lawyer) doesn't seem to be enough to have these guys be so obsessed with her, especially given all the shenanigans/crimes and heartbreak.