Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/1/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

I'm not surprised by anything that Andrea is saying.  I canceled R. Kelly's nasty, abusive ass years ago.  I actually go batshit crazy if someone even attempts to play his music in my presence. He's human filth and hopefully he's the next to get taken down! 

The amount of folks in the black community who don't care about any of it and still support him is shocking.

• Love 7
Just now, Alexis2291 said:

The amount of folks in the black community who don't care about any of it and still support him is shocking.

You are preaching to the choir, that's why I have such a visceral reaction to anything involving him because most of my people just don't give a damn.  They will argue you down and then when all else fails it's "oh well you weren't there, and it wasn't him in the tapes so...." OR "Well, Aaliyah married him, he didn't make her!  Age Aint Nothing But A Number" - it's disgusting. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

You are preaching to the choir, that's why I have such a visceral reaction to anything involving him because most of my people just don't give a damn.  They will argue you down and then when all else fails it's "oh well you weren't there, and it wasn't him in the tapes so...." OR "Well, Aaliyah married him, he didn't make her!  Age Aint Nothing But A Number" - it's disgusting. 

Looking back at interviews of Aaliyah and R. Kelly together creep me tf out. It's disgusting and disturbing. Even the album name "Age Ain't Nothing But A Number" disturbs me, seeing as R. Kelly produced the album and they spent a lot of time together. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Bronzedog said:

This show is so dark this season, I may have to bow out.  It’s just too depressing and with Meghan returning it’s only going to get worse.

The first episode of the season starting with the death of John McCain set the tone for the rest of the season, I think. It's definitely been much darker.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

This show is so dark this season, I may have to bow out.  It’s just too depressing and with Meghan returning it’s only going to get worse.

There's not much happy news these days. 

Andrea's story was heartbreaking. I really felt for her when she was talking about suicide and how it would hurt her children.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I agree.  And boring.  I'm as bored watching it as the hosts seem to be hosting it.  Whoopi is always in a bad mood and Joy just seems to be going through the motions most days.  Which is why I think a lot of her interviews lately have been dogs.  Maybe their moods are just reflecting the moods of a lot of people because everyday is certainly a giant shit show in the world of politics.  Sunny is still shiny and new so she still shows up being enthusiastic and seemingly happy to be there.  And Abby is just there.  I don't pay enough attention to her to notice much.  In other words, this show is definitely not must see tv.  It is well past it's sell by date and could be cancelled tomorrow and I don't think many people would care.

• Love 10

Other than Abby on yesterday’s show, the only people I’ve heard espousing the theory that Kavanaugh’s been called a “gang rapist” is Joe freakin Scarborough, when he’s defending him, and LG.  But they never say who’s allegedly been saying that either!  So good for Joy for asking for receipts.  And then hearing *crickets*

And Sunny, you know better.  Supreme Court Justices don’t assess witness credibility; they’re deciding cases based on paper.  Don’t confuse the non-lawyers out there while making your very valid point.  A proven liar does not belong on the Supreme Court!

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Joy was obviously unprepared and not racist towards Constance. Sunny is usually well prepared for interviews with guests. She will read their books, go see their movies, plays, watch their TV shows and will ask questions based on that. It seemed that Joy was being prompted to ask that question. Rosie advocated that the hosts don't use ear pieces because it keeps the conversations from being organic. The moderator should wear one to be in sinc with the producers of the show.

I've said before how amazed I am at how unprepared the hosts are.  If you know the guests in advance, there's a little thing called "Google" - for pete's sake that is their JOB!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I agree.  And boring.  I'm as bored watching it as the hosts seem to be hosting it.  Whoopi is always in a bad mood and Joy just seems to be going through the motions most days.  Which is why I think a lot of her interviews lately have been dogs.  Maybe their moods are just reflecting the moods of a lot of people because everyday is certainly a giant shit show in the world of politics.  Sunny is still shiny and new so she still shows up being enthusiastic and seemingly happy to be there.  And Abby is just there.  I don't pay enough attention to her to notice much.  In other words, this show is definitely not must see tv.  It is well past it's sell by date and could be cancelled tomorrow and I don't think many people would care.

I bet theyre dreading the coming monday....i know i am lol

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

The first episode of the season starting with the death of John McCain set the tone for the rest of the season, I think. It's definitely been much darker.

Too bad the women dont wear helmets, they could put JM on for the season.  Maybe on the coffee mugs. That way he will always be there, immortalized, and doesnt have to be dark

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

Whoopi is always in a bad mood and Joy just seems to be going through the motions most days.  Which is why I think a lot of her interviews lately have been dogs.  Maybe their moods are just reflecting the moods of a lot of people because everyday is certainly a giant shit show in the world of politics.  Sunny is still shiny and new so she still shows up being enthusiastic and seemingly happy to be there.  And Abby is just there.  I don't pay enough attention to her to notice much.  In other words, this show is definitely not must see tv.  It is well past it's sell by date and could be cancelled tomorrow and I don't think many people would care.

This is a pretty fair assessment of what the season has been like so far. Add to that the departure of Sara, who wasn't my favorite personally but the general consensus is that she was always bubbly and positive.

• Love 7

I liked when Whoopi said that everyone keeps worrying about their sons, but no one has said anything about their daughters.

I wasn't looking forward to Andrea's interview, because what else could she say that we haven't heard before. But wow was it tough to listen to. I thought R.Kelly would be done after the pee-gate and Dave Chappelle making fun of it, but R. Kelly managed to continue to flourish. It is sad that some in the black community still support him, but I think it has more to do than his skin colour. I find it similar to the Cosby thing. Many were happy that Cosby was facing justice for what he did, but they also felt cautious too. If Weinstein and the other white men don't get the same sort of justice, then that's a problem. It shows the black community that people only care about justice when it happens to a black man, while the white men in privileged can continue doing what they're doing or go into hiding. I felt a little like this too when Cosby got his verdict. Happy, but still waiting for the other shoe to drop. So maybe that's what some are feeling about R.Kelly? Others are committing crimes, but everyone is just after him.

It's complicated, even though all of those men are trash. I feel for the kids though. Why would anyone bad mouth any of these guys in front of their kids? Especially if they're too young to understand what's going on.

• Love 6

So Nicole Wallace was let go (supposedly) because she wasn't interested in "current events," like the Kardashians, Big Brother, etc.   I'm all for giving Ah-bee the heave-ho!   She's given a Presidential/FEMA response tweet to read:   U up?   Egad!  I'm 78 and I know what that means, yet she reads it, "Yup."  She needs explanations on too many things...while she's on the air.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, jalady said:

Other than Abby on yesterday’s show, the only people I’ve heard espousing the theory that Kavanaugh’s been called a “gang rapist” is Joe freakin Scarborough, when he’s defending him, and LG.  But they never say who’s allegedly been saying that either!  So good for Joy for asking for receipts.  And then hearing *crickets*

And Sunny, you know better.  Supreme Court Justices don’t assess witness credibility; they’re deciding cases based on paper.  Don’t confuse the non-lawyers out there while making your very valid point.  A proven liar does not belong on the Supreme Court!

Avenatti’s client was claiming that Kavanaugh was a gang rapist and it was being reported by all the major cable outlets and tv networks. I don’t understand why Joy was acting like she never heard it before. A quick google search is all it takes if you didn’t happen to be watching the news on the days it was being reported.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

Avenatti’s client was claiming that Kavanaugh was a gang rapist and it was being reported by all the major cable outlets and tv networks. I don’t understand why Joy was acting like she never heard it before.

That's because the topic that was on the show if you watched it was that Graham was accusing Democrats / people on TV as referring to Kavanaugh as “gang rapist,” not just that he was accused by someone as being a part of parties where gang rapes occurred.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I couldn't watch the interview with Andrea. I just couldn't take one more horror story. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

U up?   Egad!  I'm 78 and I know what that means, yet she reads it, "Yup."  She needs explanations on too many things...while she's on the air.

That was hysterical!  They had to explain it to her.  When Whoopi and Joy have to explain a typical millennial phrase to a young person you know they are clueless.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Cementhead said:

And Abby is just there.  I don't pay enough attention to her to notice much.  In other words, this show is definitely not must see tv. 

And she is getting predictable.   I wouldn't even notice if she wasn't at the table.

• Love 8
On 10/1/2018 at 5:10 AM, Wings said:

Fruit bats are my favorite animal. 

They are on my bucket list of animals to meet.  I LOVE bats!

On 10/1/2018 at 9:09 AM, Bronzedog said:

I appreciate them giving us a week notice that Meghan will be back Monday.  It gives us plenty of time to make other plans.

I really wish they would have given Ana Navarro the spot they gave Abby.  Do NOT like her.  While I get MM is mourning her dad, who gets a month off for bereavement?  I actually had to go to work the day after my dad died to prepare for the 2 days I needed off for the funeral.  

• Love 9
10 hours ago, After7Only said:

Whoopi gets bashed quite a bit.  Whether it’s her rambling, her initial defense of acosby, her treatment of Sunny, her defense/coddling of MM, or her wardrobe choices, she’s criticized pretty regularly. I can concede that  MM and maybe Abby are criticized more, but not due to tribalism.  Posters on this forum generally have favorable opinions of  more intellectual conservatives like Ana or Tara even when they disagree with their politics.  To me MM and to a lessor extent Abby defend the administration using talking points instead of sharing their own views,  doing their own research or trying to hear and understand other points of view.  So they come off less relatable or genuine than the rest of the panel.  

I don't watch the View enough to say that's totally not true w/r/t MM and Abby defending the administration, but I will say simplistic arguments usually get simplistic responses. It's better to factor in the other side into your argument than wait for them to do it, that way neither side sounds like they're just spouting talking points. Also, I wouldn't call Ana or Tara "more intellectual". They're Republican women who dislike Trump and can be counted on to faithfully criticize him and indulge in many negative ideas about him.

10 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I don't think Whoopi Joy or Sunny offer up "rote talking points".  They offer their views on the topics they are discussing.  The three of them don't always agree amongst themselves.  If Meghan and Abby to a lesser extent were more open-minded they wouldn't sound so contrarian all of the time.  Abby may offer up concessions sometimes to the other co-hosts about their views but Meghan does not.  She seems to relish in being argumentative.

I've never found Meghan to be any more pugilistic than Whoopi or Joy. I don't find Meghan particularly insightful, but...neither are Whoopi or Joy. If anything, I've thought she spends too much time trying to pretend as though she's trying to be impartial instead of just leaning into her role as the Blonde Republican Female du jour. She's never going to win over their audience, so she might as well embrace it.

9 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

In the past year we have two prominent examples that go against that point. The Aziz Ansari story showed a lot of support for Ansari, recognizing that even in the woman's story, it read more like someone who was uncomfortable but handled the situation in a way that could come off as coy to the other person - saying that she didn't want to do something but then she did it anyway without any force, intimidation, etc. I think people are capable of seeing that it's not all black and white and when the situation arises, they can apply reasoning that doesn't automatically side with the woman and drag a man's name through the mud. The world will not unanimously agree on anything but I would categorize that story as having caused a shift in the MeToo conversation that basically vindicated Matt Damon's comments that all situations are not equal and despite the backlash he received for his comments, many needed a story like this to realize what he was saying.

Then you look at the Asia Argento story, despite her claims of painting herself as the victim, the most vocal of people support the boy in this situation. Her claims of being intimidated and attacked aren't being believed by many. 

I think that the overwhelming support for women coming forward with their stories has a lot to do with the nature of their stories and the credibility that people feel these stories have - not necessarily because they must be believed but each story is inspiring women who have similar experiences to come forward and share and a lot of these women are speaking out against small group of men who are in power so their combined experiences make them far more believable then if you were to isolate some of their stories.

As Sunny has pointed out several times, what Dr. Ford is able to remember and what she's honest about not remembering is consistent with someone who has experienced trauma and naturally can remember the most significant details but forget the peripheral details. For all the facts that people say she can't provide, there's actual science of the brain and common logic that supports why she wouldn't in fact remember those details. Also, all of those witnesses (which would be stupid to cite if she were intentionally lying about the event) didn't say that it didn't happen, they said they don't recall the events which leaves room to suggest that while it may be plausible, they don't remember details that can specifically corroborate. And I would disagree with your assessment that the women on the panel (and general population) are putting all of the onus on Kavanaugh to disprove. If it's fine for people to not find Dr. Ford credible, should it not also be fine for people to think that Kavanaugh seemed less credible?

Edit: After I wrote this entire response, I realized that we may be veering off-topic here. I tried to bring it back to points made from the panel, lol.

Yeah, I don't want to get too off-topic either. I understand where you're coming from, but I guess my concern is that we're going to get to a point where we're more concerned about having a "polite" conversation and not an "honest" one where everybody has to confront some uncomfortable truths. I think it's better to bake some perspective into the cake, so to speak, as opposed to waiting for a story that strains common sense, like the Aziz Ansari story, or exposes blatant hypocrisy, like Asia Argento. That doesn't do any favors to the movement writ-large, which I think has done some good and is probably, for most people, taken up in good faith.

I will say re: Sunny, I think she's being a bit disingenuous about the Kavanaugh situation. It's not really fair to hold someone who claims to be a victim of trauma to any one particular way of behaving. It's absolutely true what she and you said about victims forgetting certain details. Trauma affects people in different ways.

But that's kind of missing the point, too. First of all, it's blatant question-begging. If a person claims to be a victim of assault but can't remember many details and in fact that details that they can remember have either been roundly refuted or cannot be corroborated, well, that doesn't make for a credible witness. Second, if Dr. Blasey Ford is aware that there are gaps in her memory, I don't think it's unfair to second-guess why she's coming forward with such an allegation. It's not meant to be a judgment on whether her experience qualifies as trauma, but at the same time this woman should understand how it might look to make an accusation she can't defend in earnest (and I say that not just because she's an adult but because she's an academic with a background in this kind of stuff). And lastly, Sunny had no problem mentioning that Brett Kavanaugh didn't seem credible in his testimony, which I would agree with as a matter of political theater, but is it fair to ask him to defend himself against an allegation where we can't even verify peripheral details? I think she understands this more than she lets on.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, njbchlover said:

I thought Joy was perfect in that point - if Abby is going to throw things out there like that, she needs to have back-up - and be prepared to cite it.  Not like Meghan, who loves to speed-read "statistics" or quotes from her blue cards, but just be prepared to have proof of her comments.

When she said "people" are accusing Kavanaugh of being a gang-rapist, the only person I have heard use that comment about Kavanaugh has been Lindsay Graham, and it was used more as a diatribe against the Democratic senators.  If I recall, Lindsay Graham has repeatedly said on several news outlets - "This man is being portrayed as a gang-rapist, bumbling, stumbling drunk".....I haven't heard of anyone coming out and actually saying that about Kavanaugh.  

The only other person I heard talk about Kavanaugh being a gang rapist was Trump.  At one of his rallies.  The discussion I heard about it was referring to the kids that might be at his rally.  MM used to talk about learning about BJ's from Clinton.  Well now they can learn about boofing, devils triangle, gang raping because of who Trump nominated for the Supreme Court.  

• Love 16

Sara used to help Whoopi all the time if she could not read her cards or TelePrompTer without making faces or being rude.  I don’t know if Abby just read it quickly but I thought Whoopi was really rude making that face.   Who cares if Abby doesn’t know a slang term. I guess that makes her uncool. 

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Yep.  That's what pushed Nicole Wallace out the door.  She's in a MUCH BETTER PLACE.

Nicole mentioned again today that she was fired from the View for not knowing pop culture (in reaction to a guest who was surprised he didn't know that Amy and Chuck Shumer are related).

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

They are on my bucket list of animals to meet.  I LOVE bats!

I really wish they would have given Ana Navarro the spot they gave Abby.  Do NOT like her.  While I get MM is mourning her dad, who gets a month off for bereavement?  I actually had to go to work the day after my dad died to prepare for the 2 days I needed off for the funeral.  

I love bats too.

Edited by fatewemake
  • Love 9

I don't know Meghan McCain.  I don't enjoy her on "The View."  The amount of time she needs to grieve for her father is something I can't judge; it's not my business.  If she didn't feel she could handle her job yet--and since she's lucky enough to work for a company with such great flexibility, I'm fine with it.

• Love 10

Abby is naive and idealistic, but I think she's still doing a good job. Joy got angry about Mitch today and said, "Your side does this not ours." To Abby and instead of getting offended or turning it into something bigger, Abby understood what Joy said and disagreed but kept the conversation going. Joy even laughed and said, "Not you you. " And Abby laughed back. That level of maturity is A-ok for me.

I can see Abby becoming a Sara on the show. Sara didn't start that great either, but worked her way to becoming the Sara we all know and love. She also viewed things from both sides and I think Abby can do that. She may be more conservative, but she's still able to see things beyond black and white. Which is like Paula in a sense, so maybe she'll be a mixture of the two of them.

• Love 18

I get why people are against receiving the Presidential alerts, because like the Kimmel tweet, there are people that genuinely feel that the alert will be used to push an agenda, however, that isn't the intent of the alert and until he abuses the intent of the system and gives actual reason to be upset about him being able to text your phone, it just seems petty to me how upset Sunny has been about it, lol.

I thought it was funny and quite innocent of Abby when she mispronounced the text and Whoopi corrected her...kudos to her for laughing it off and thanking Whoopi for the help. I honestly thought it was me that heard her incorrectly, lol.

There's no part of me that didn't believe Andrea Kelly. I thought the women were all respectful in their questions and giving her the time to explain herself without over speak. It was a dark segment but was handled well, imo.

• Love 14
10 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

There's no part of me that didn't believe Andrea Kelly. I thought the women were all respectful in their questions and giving her the time to explain herself without over speak. It was a dark segment but was handled well, imo.

I thought she would have been good sitting in on what's going on now with women.  Her perspective would have been great to hear.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, Snapdragon said:

WTF was up with Joy during the Constance Wu interview?  She implied more than once that Constance must have been scared to pursue acting when "she got off the boat".  Constance Wu was born in freakin' Virginia!  Does no one on this show do a five second google search before these interviews?  That was just so unprofessional and racist.  

I think that Joy was confused, she obviously doesn't watch the "fresh off the Boat"  show.  The show is based on the real life childhood  experiences of a Chinese immigrant, Eddie Huang.  The main character is based on Eddie as a child.    I bet Joy heard that it was based on real life, and first thought that Constance Wu was the main character, and then thought she was playing herself in the show. 

• Love 8

I doubt Joy knew who that man wishing her a happy bday was (the one before sara). I tried to read her lips and it seemed that she said "who was that?" when he finished.

*btw, I don't know who it was so maybe I'm just projecting, but she DID look puzzled. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

It was David Tennant, wasn't it?  His message seemed kind of random since AFAIK he hasn't been on the show lately.

Wow! I swear I know a lot about celebrities and I wouldn't be Nichole Wallaced off this show, but I have no idea who David Tennant or AFAIK is.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Wow! I swear I know a lot about celebrities and I wouldn't be Nichole Wallaced off this show, but I have no idea who David Tennant or AFAIK is.

She and I watch a lot of British television but the angle and beard it took me a bit to recognize him. I don't watch Dr Who or Harry Potter but do recognize him. It was an odd choice though. 

• Love 1

David Tennant is a Scottish actor who typically shows up on PBS, in things like Broadchurch, Gracepoint, Blackpool & Dr. Who, but I barely recognized him because he looked 30-something in the bday clip instead of 47; maybe he gave up smoking & got some facial rejuvenation.  He is now in HBO's "Camping" with Jennifer Garner, so has been doing the rounds of talkshows and was probably appearing on another show in the studio on Joy's bday.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

Whoopi remembers JFK running for president?  Really?  She was 5 when he was elected. 

It's possible.  I remember when Carter was elected and I was five.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

Whoopi remembers JFK running for president?  Really?  She was 5 when he was elected. 

It was a very big deal for Catholic families.  Many had his "portrait" on the wall right next to Jesus'.  

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

It was a very big deal for Catholic families.  Many had his "portrait" on the wall right next to Jesus'.  

My mother-in-law had Kennedy next to the Pope and Jesus. If she only knew what happened with Marilyn Monroe and others.

Whoopi with the good memory at 5 years old because that was before she discovered weed. Lol

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Remembering JFK, his inauguration is different than remembering the political dialogue.  In 59-60 National News was a 30 minute live program.  I don’t believe a 5 year old was privy to such information based on what Whoopi has shared regarding her upbringing.  

I’m a couple of years older, was in Catholic School during the time period and yes, Kennedy was HUGE at home, school and definitely Church.  But political discussions were not as public as they are now with cable tv and social media.  

I don’t doubt that Whoopi learned about the Vatican vs US policy later in life.  I find that for some strange reason she often wants to appear older than her biological age. I think she may think it gives her more credibility, wisdom, knowledge?  

• Love 3