Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/1/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, pachebo said:

I am tired of the obviously partisan/tribal/whatever you wanna call it , Abby- bashing on this forum.  I like her. She's thoughtful, intelligent and articulate. Not every FOX alumn is a "bot". I save my vitriol for the truly deserving... Whoopi pops immediately to mind.

I dont hate or dislike Abby at all. I actually enjoy her but sometimes she does say things that I don't agree with and I can't comprehend where she is coming from because it makes no sense or her timing is way off with questions that are stating the obvious. But I do enjoy her and I think she's pleasant and at times even tries to make the table lighter. I think every co-host has their faults in all honesty theres no perfect co-host on this show honestly.

Edited by TheViewFirst1
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, pachebo said:

I am tired of the obviously partisan/tribal/whatever you wanna call it , Abby- bashing on this forum.  I like her. She's thoughtful, intelligent and articulate. Not every FOX alumn is a "bot". I save my vitriol for the truly deserving... Whoopi pops immediately to mind.

I don't bash Abby.  I disagree with her view.  She is entitled to her view but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

I was referring to the tweets they often display on the bottom of the screen during the show, lol. I was wondering if we're allowed to comment about them here without getting a warning, seeing as it's technically part of the show although the co-hosts can't see what's being displayed...

Ahh ok.  I knew what the first sitch was, but didnt think about how it would impact here.  Whoever gets the rules, please post it for all of us.  Thx

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, pachebo said:

I doubt it's partisan, because people are crazy about Ana, and many of the same people who are crazy about Ana are crazy about Joy.

Abby's largely inoffensive to me. She's milquetoast.

When I'm tired, I take a nap. 

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Grrrrrr!  Power outage until noon so I’m gonna miss Neal deG Tyson!

You can catch him on last week’s Real Time with Bill Maher on demand and Overtime on YouTube, which would be a LOT more substantive than what you would see on this show.

1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

I was referring to the tweets they often display on the bottom of the screen during the show, lol. I was wondering if we're allowed to comment about them here without getting a warning, seeing as it's technically part of the show although the co-hosts can't see what's being displayed...

Oh, I bet they do! The producers probably tell them in their ears!

• Love 4

Abby is fairly bland.  She doesn't bother me and I can tune her out.  She's not much more than a seat filler at this point.

However, I really do hate that she and Meghan consider each other a sister. I really don't want anyone on with their sister.  We don't need the family members.

• Love 9

One thing about Abby I can appreciate is that she is not argumentative.  She doesn't argue just for the sake of argument.  Like some people.  It feels like there are grown ups at the table with this particular group; Abby included. 

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, I bet they do! The producers probably tell them in their ears!

I actually don't think they do, as I'm sure they ladies would be in an noticeable uproar at some of the tweets we the viewers see...

Then again, maybe they talk about it during the commercial breaks when they talk to the audience? 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I actually don't think they do, as I'm sure they ladies would be in an noticeable uproar at some of the tweets we the viewers see...

Then again, maybe they talk about it during the commercial breaks when they talk to the audience? 

Yes. I remember Whoopi bloviating about how Joy and Sunny would get on social media/Twitter during commercial breaks. But the audience wouldn’t hear them. I think it was @TV Diva Queen who attended a taping and revealed how the audience could barely hear the hosts? And I remember one time after commercial, Sara bringing up what someone tweeted about her as well as what was being “debated.” This was before baby number two.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abby is doing her Fox News schtick, she made a baseless accusation about Democrats calling Kavanaugh a serial rapist and Joy checked her by asking her about the veracity of her comments.  She had to backtrack and said that both sides are being destructive in their comments. 

I saw Tara and Anna on other shows, making cogent  salient points about this issue and it makes me weep to see vapid Abby in a seat that should have been theirs..

Yes, she pivoted again today from the actual topic, which was Trump mocking Dr. Ford.  She turned it around to the attacks on Bart, saying that he is being called a gang rapist on the TV channels!

She's not shriek and defensive like Meggie, but she uses the same pivot tactics.

Abby was bewildered by the rest of the panel not wanting emergency alerts from the President.

• Love 17
46 minutes ago, bannana said:

Yes, she pivoted again today from the actual topic, which was Trump mocking Dr. Ford.  She turned it around to the attacks on Bart, saying that he is being called a gang rapist on the TV channels!

She's not shriek and defensive like Meggie, but she uses the same pivot tactics.

Abby was bewildered by the rest of the panel not wanting emergency alerts from the President.

Since it was mentioned on the show  ( so hopefully no off topic  is there a way of opting out? I know you aren't in the states so anyone?   I was away from my phone in another room and when I picked it up there is his damn there's no disaster message. A friends text was on there also so I don't know it's route. I'm with Joy nd Whoopi I resent it. 

Love Neil, more Neil! 

It took some searching but found we can't opt out of presidential alerts! We can opt out of Amber alerts and FEMA but not his. This just makes him as happy as snot. I'm pissed 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 11

WTF was up with Joy during the Constance Wu interview?  She implied more than once that Constance must have been scared to pursue acting when "she got off the boat".  Constance Wu was born in freakin' Virginia!  Does no one on this show do a five second google search before these interviews?  That was just so unprofessional and racist.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

WTF was up with Joy during the Constance Wu interview?  She implied more than once that Constance must have been scared to pursue acting when "she got off the boat".  Constance Wu was born in freakin' Virginia!  Does no one on this show do a five second google search before these interviews?  That was just so unprofessional and racist.  

I didn't watch it but was she perhaps referring to Constance's sit-com Fresh off the Boat?

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I usually love Joy but today wasn't her best interview with Constance.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Love when Joy said, “you need to source that if that’s going to be an accusation against a real outlet.” More of this, please.

Joy has been doing really good with the further questioning of where Abby's getting her information from. The "gang rapist" allegation she made fell flat thanks to Joy asking her which senator she was referring to. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I didn't watch it but was she perhaps referring to Constance's sit-com Fresh off the Boat?

No, she was trying to use the title to tie into her question but you could tell that she thought Constance wasn't from the US originally.  Joy says, "Tell about how you came over on the boat.  You know, "Fresh off the Boat"?  Then Constance looks confused, clarifies that Fresh off the Boat is the title of the TV show, to which Joy responds, "But if must have been scary when you first.., at which point you can tell that Joy realizes she's made a mistake because she doesn't finish the sentence.

The entire thing was incredibly cringy.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 9

As someone else mentioned, Abby is more of a seat filler.  While I don’t agree with her the majority of the time I understand why she is there or else there would be little  conflicting opinions politically. The problem with Meg is that she comes out guns a-blazin every day. She gets all worked up within the first 30 seconds if each show and stays that way straight until the end. it’s exhausting to watch for some reason. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

Love when Joy said, “you need to source that if that’s going to be an accusation against a real outlet.” More of this, please.

When Abby echoes the talking point du jour, someone needs to call her out every single time. They can take turns. I don't care who it is just so someone steps up and challenges her.

Ask: "Who said that?" "Where did you hear it?" "Be specific."

Put her on notice that saying, "some people say" or "I've heard/read" - without citing a legitimate source is not going to cut it anymore.

I thought Joy was perfect in that point - if Abby is going to throw things out there like that, she needs to have back-up - and be prepared to cite it.  Not like Meghan, who loves to speed-read "statistics" or quotes from her blue cards, but just be prepared to have proof of her comments.

When she said "people" are accusing Kavanaugh of being a gang-rapist, the only person I have heard use that comment about Kavanaugh has been Lindsay Graham, and it was used more as a diatribe against the Democratic senators.  If I recall, Lindsay Graham has repeatedly said on several news outlets - "This man is being portrayed as a gang-rapist, bumbling, stumbling drunk".....I haven't heard of anyone coming out and actually saying that about Kavanaugh.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 17
29 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

No, she was trying to use the title to tie into her question but you could tell that she thought Constance wasn't from the US originally.  Joy says, "Tell about how you came over on the boat.  You know, "Fresh off the Boat"?  Then Constance looks confused, clarifies that Fresh off the Boat is the title of the TV show, to which Joy responds, "But if must have been scary when you first.., at which point you can tell that Joy realizes she's made a mistake because she doesn't finish the sentence.

The entire thing was incredibly cringy.

Eek, that sounds terrible even just reading it second-hand. 

25 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

As someone else mentioned, Abby is more of a seat filler.  While I don’t agree with her the majority of the time I understand why she is there or else there would be little  conflicting opinions politically. The problem with Meg is that she comes out guns a-blazin every day. She gets all worked up within the first 30 seconds if each show and stays that way straight until the end. it’s exhausting to watch for some reason. 

Yes!  It's like Matt Damon's portrayal of Kavanaugh on SNL.  Saying something like "I'm starting at a 10 and taking it right up to a 15!!"

• Love 11

Sara would not have been asked to join GMA had she been partisan.  Her ambiguous contributions were calculated for her career, I am sure. 

Abby you suck. 

Fuck you Meghan (might as well get started).  ;> 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 17
55 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Joy was obviously unprepared and not racist towards Constance. Sunny is usually well prepared for interviews with guests. She will read their books, go see their movies, plays, watch their TV shows and will ask questions based on that. It seemed that Joy was being prompted to ask that question. Rosie advocated that the hosts don't use ear pieces because it keeps the conversations from being organic. The moderator should wear one to be in sinc with the producers of the show.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes. I remember Whoopi bloviating about how Joy and Sunny would get on social media/Twitter during commercial breaks. But the audience wouldn’t hear them. I think it was @TV Diva Queen who attended a taping and revealed how the audience could barely hear the hosts? And I remember one time after commercial, Sara bringing up what someone tweeted about her as well as what was being “debated.” This was before baby number two.

awwww, you remembered.   :)  Yes it was I.  

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Wings said:

Sara would not have been asked to join GMA had she been partisan.  Her ambiguous contributions were calculated for her career, I am sure.  Megan Kelly will not last beyond her present contract on NBC because she is exposing her hand (favors Kavanaugh).  She was hired to do a show about and for women originally. 

Abby you suck. 

Fuck you Meghan (might as well get started).  ;> 

Megyn Kelly is awful and her low ratings gives me immense pleasure. I cannot stand her. NBC lost  their freaking minds when they hired her.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Interchangeable, I agree...except one of them seems very polite and controlled.

One difference is that Abby is always defending Trump no matter what he does, but Meghan does not.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

A large number of women who have come forward are women who experienced assault a long time ago and in many cases, the statue of limitations has run out. It's women coming out now and speaking in large numbers with the intent that they can help reshape the culture and taboos of women speaking out. These conversations are in large part trying to make it so that women will come forward in ways that include going to the police.

I completely understand that and to an extent I think that's a good thing. The problem is, aside from the obvious issue of assaults being difficult if not impossible to prove after a long period of time, there's also the issue of begging the question when it is brought up. As strange as it may sound, we're not entitled to our own framing of certain events and people don't simply have to accept certain conclusions because of how we feel. I've read stories where women have said they had sex with a guy and even though he didn't force them into it and they didn't exactly say no, they didn't want to do it, but they kind of went along with it because they felt like they were already into the act. Or women who honestly don't remember how an encounter lead to sex, so they think something must have been done to them (i.e. being drugged, etc). Many times these instances of assault exist only in the recantation, and while it's not really anybody's place to try and disabuse someone of the notion that they were assaulted, we can't just indulge it either, especially if there's no other aggravating factor.

No, someone who believes in justice does not say 'what about the men'. I categorically disagree with that sentiment in every way. Someone who believes in justice will say 'it's important for women to come forward and feel safe in reporting these events and having trust in the justice system that it will do its best to find justice...and it's also important that due process take place so that neither men or women are persecuted by public opinion in the absence of their stories being told and corroborating facts where it may apply'. It isn't justice to say that all women must be believed no matter what, just as it not justice to say that women coming forward and sharing their stories is somehow an attack on men and causes concerns for parents and their sons.

I think we're mostly saying the same thing here.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with, and I say this not as a tinfoil-hat-conspiracy-theorist but moreso as a let's-not-get-carried-away type thing, is that this is kind of becoming an indirect attack on men. I think Abby being a conservative female might sense that on some level which is why she said that,

I don't think it's entirely intentional, and I don't think most people are motivated by any type of anti-male bias, but I think the MeToo movement has inadvertently exposed a form of sexism that society is frankly okay with, and that is the idea that women are helpless victims, babes in the woods, needing to be rescued. Because the truth of the matter is, a lot of people would rather see a man's reputation ruined than swallow hard and call a woman who claims to be a sexual assault victim a liar, or suggest that she's being petty or melodramatic.

When it's time to call an individual male out or call men out in general, everybody's game, but when the time comes to call a woman on her shit, a lot of people tend to lose their balls. A lot of people try to play that off like it's just victim advocacy and not wanting to discourage other women from coming forward, but that's bullshit. They just don't want to look like they're being mean. Because you can't be mean to girls.

I might be a tad bit off-topic, but from the clips I've seen of the View on YouTube over the last week or so, they have honestly gotten on my nerves. It's okay to say Dr. Blasey Ford wasn't credible. Many of the facts of her story can't be corroborated or have been directly disputed, and she had trouble remembering certain details from as little as a few weeks ago. I don't know for certain if anything happened to her, but just because The Times We're In are on her side, the facts aren't. So for them to sit and just act like it's really Kavanaugh who has something to prove, it's just bullshit pandering.

8 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

It took some searching but found we can't opt out of presidential alerts! We can opt out of Amber alerts and FEMA but not his. This just makes him as happy as snot. I'm pissed 

I just turned off my phone for a few minutes and voila! no presidential alert!

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, Marigny said:

Joy checking Abby on providing sources for that comment she pulled out of her tail was the highlight of my day. 

Yes, good on Joy for doing that.  I didn't recall anyone saying what Abby said she heard, so I googled it, and there is nothing to be found in news coverage.  I believe the only person who has said it is LG.  Abby is supposedly a journalist, I think, so she should do better and stick to the facts.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Whoopie gets criticized on here too and she is a liberal. So, Abby is not being bashed because she is a conservative.  I could care less who she votes for, I find her to be vapid and boring.  

Not to get too meta, but I don’t think Whoopi gets bashed, and to whatever extent she is criticized, it’s much much less than Abby or Meghan.

Abby does come off kind of vapid and even a little boring because she’s there to provide the counterpoint to rote talking points. If the other hosts were more open-minded, the “conservative” host wouldn’t sound so one note and contrarian all the time. 

12 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Interchangeable, I agree...except one of them seems very polite and controlled.

Wait until Meghan gets back and the two of them start tag teaming.  I bet there will be plenty of shrill from Abby too.

So let me get this right (since I didn't get to see the show, damn power outage!), Abby was making unsubstantiated allegations about someone's unsubstantiated allegations?  Oh, the irony!

55 minutes ago, 27bored said:

but I don’t think Whoopi gets bashed,

Whoopi is probably the host who gets the second most criticism here.  (Of the 4 current hosts.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 11

I'm dreading next week with Meghan's return.  At least with Abby, she actually listens without throwing a tantrum or having a meltdown.  Plus, I think the 4 gel together...and meghan's return will throw all that off.

With that said, I cant put my finger on it but there is something about Sunny that doesn't set right with me.  Her basically saying all women should be believed is just as bad as guys saying all women are liars.  Abby is right that some women do lie about being assaulted/attacked.  I've known of a few cases stemming back to college where girls lied because of regret, etc.  And if there is any verbal/physical abuse...I would assume Sunny is the abuser (throwing phones onto a free way, throwing dishes around the room, etc shows to me someone close to that stage..imho).  Plus, her demeanor talking about cops makes me question why she even became a lawyer (and still remember her saying she would cover for her kids if they committed a crime...fine parenting there lol).  With that said, I love her talks about her chickems, her childhood stories, and I love that she can admit when she's wrong.  In other words, she's a three dimensional person.

Next week, I'll be tuning back out of the View and just following via all of your comments :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 27bored said:

Not to get too meta, but I don’t think Whoopi gets bashed, and to whatever extent she is criticized, it’s much much less than Abby or Meghan.

Abby does come off kind of vapid and even a little boring because she’s there to provide the counterpoint to rote talking points. If the other hosts were more open-minded, the “conservative” host wouldn’t sound so one note and contrarian all the time. 

Whoopi gets bashed quite a bit.  Whether it’s her rambling, her initial defense of acosby, her treatment of Sunny, her defense/coddling of MM, or her wardrobe choices, she’s criticized pretty regularly. I can concede that  MM and maybe Abby are criticized more, but not due to tribalism.  Posters on this forum generally have favorable opinions of  more intellectual conservatives like Ana or Tara even when they disagree with their politics.  To me MM and to a lessor extent Abby defend the administration using talking points instead of sharing their own views,  doing their own research or trying to hear and understand other points of view.  So they come off less relatable or genuine than the rest of the panel.  

• Love 19
2 hours ago, 27bored said:

I don't think Whoopi Joy or Sunny offer up "rote talking points".  They offer their views on the topics they are discussing.  The three of them don't always agree amongst themselves.  If Meghan and Abby to a lesser extent were more open-minded they wouldn't sound so contrarian all of the time.  Abby may offer up concessions sometimes to the other co-hosts about their views but Meghan does not.  She seems to relish in being argumentative.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, 27bored said:

I completely understand that and to an extent I think that's a good thing. The problem is, aside from the obvious issue of assaults being difficult if not impossible to prove after a long period of time, there's also the issue of begging the question when it is brought up. As strange as it may sound, we're not entitled to our own framing of certain events and people don't simply have to accept certain conclusions because of how we feel. I've read stories where women have said they had sex with a guy and even though he didn't force them into it and they didn't exactly say no, they didn't want to do it, but they kind of went along with it because they felt like they were already into the act. Or women who honestly don't remember how an encounter lead to sex, so they think something must have been done to them (i.e. being drugged, etc). Many times these instances of assault exist only in the recantation, and while it's not really anybody's place to try and disabuse someone of the notion that they were assaulted, we can't just indulge it either, especially if there's no other aggravating factor.

I think we're mostly saying the same thing here.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with, and I say this not as a tinfoil-hat-conspiracy-theorist but moreso as a let's-not-get-carried-away type thing, is that this is kind of becoming an indirect attack on men. I think Abby being a conservative female might sense that on some level which is why she said that,

I don't think it's entirely intentional, and I don't think most people are motivated by any type of anti-male bias, but I think the MeToo movement has inadvertently exposed a form of sexism that society is frankly okay with, and that is the idea that women are helpless victims, babes in the woods, needing to be rescued. Because the truth of the matter is, a lot of people would rather see a man's reputation ruined than swallow hard and call a woman who claims to be a sexual assault victim a liar, or suggest that she's being petty or melodramatic.

When it's time to call an individual male out or call men out in general, everybody's game, but when the time comes to call a woman on her shit, a lot of people tend to lose their balls. A lot of people try to play that off like it's just victim advocacy and not wanting to discourage other women from coming forward, but that's bullshit. They just don't want to look like they're being mean. Because you can't be mean to girls.

I might be a tad bit off-topic, but from the clips I've seen of the View on YouTube over the last week or so, they have honestly gotten on my nerves. It's okay to say Dr. Blasey Ford wasn't credible. Many of the facts of her story can't be corroborated or have been directly disputed, and she had trouble remembering certain details from as little as a few weeks ago. I don't know for certain if anything happened to her, but just because The Times We're In are on her side, the facts aren't. So for them to sit and just act like it's really Kavanaugh who has something to prove, it's just bullshit pandering.

In the past year we have two prominent examples that go against that point. The Aziz Ansari story showed a lot of support for Ansari, recognizing that even in the woman's story, it read more like someone who was uncomfortable but handled the situation in a way that could come off as coy to the other person - saying that she didn't want to do something but then she did it anyway without any force, intimidation, etc. I think people are capable of seeing that it's not all black and white and when the situation arises, they can apply reasoning that doesn't automatically side with the woman and drag a man's name through the mud. The world will not unanimously agree on anything but I would categorize that story as having caused a shift in the MeToo conversation that basically vindicated Matt Damon's comments that all situations are not equal and despite the backlash he received for his comments, many needed a story like this to realize what he was saying.

Then you look at the Asia Argento story, despite her claims of painting herself as the victim, the most vocal of people support the boy in this situation. Her claims of being intimidated and attacked aren't being believed by many. 

I think that the overwhelming support for women coming forward with their stories has a lot to do with the nature of their stories and the credibility that people feel these stories have - not necessarily because they must be believed but each story is inspiring women who have similar experiences to come forward and share and a lot of these women are speaking out against small group of men who are in power so their combined experiences make them far more believable then if you were to isolate some of their stories.

As Sunny has pointed out several times, what Dr. Ford is able to remember and what she's honest about not remembering is consistent with someone who has experienced trauma and naturally can remember the most significant details but forget the peripheral details. For all the facts that people say she can't provide, there's actual science of the brain and common logic that supports why she wouldn't in fact remember those details. Also, all of those witnesses (which would be stupid to cite if she were intentionally lying about the event) didn't say that it didn't happen, they said they don't recall the events which leaves room to suggest that while it may be plausible, they don't remember details that can specifically corroborate. And I would disagree with your assessment that the women on the panel (and general population) are putting all of the onus on Kavanaugh to disprove. If it's fine for people to not find Dr. Ford credible, should it not also be fine for people to think that Kavanaugh seemed less credible?

Edit: After I wrote this entire response, I realized that we may be veering off-topic here. I tried to bring it back to points made from the panel, lol.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 8

Abby needs to ask for a copy of Nutmeg's blue cards.  She is the antithesis of her *sister* who attempts to back up her allegations with facts her producer and/or husband provide her with prior to the show.  Abby offers nothing when asked for sources to back up her allegations.  Kudos to Joy for asking for specifics.  Abby won't have to worry come Monday, as her BFF will interrupt and speak for her.  I can see it coming and it's going to be painful.  

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Criticism of everyone at the table can be found throughout this thread. 

To be fair amount of criticism handed to Meghan and Abby is disproportionate to the others on the panel. It may be coincidence.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

To be fair amount of criticism handed to Meghan and Abby is disproportionate to the others on the panel. It may be coincidence.

And I respectfully disagree. As others have already stated, Whoopi receives quite a bit of criticism around these parts.

• Love 13

Okay, folks. Let's move the discussion back to the show instead of which panelist on it is/is not deserving of all the scorn. Thanks!

I'm not surprised by anything that Andrea is saying.  I canceled R. Kelly's nasty, abusive ass years ago.  I actually go batshit crazy if someone even attempts to play his music in my presence. He's human filth and hopefully he's the next to get taken down! 

• Love 9