Type keyword(s) to search

The Cool Kids - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, red12 said:

Rick Fox played Reggie. He is a retired basketball player who was previously married to Vanessa Williams in real life. He also played Bernadette's ex on Big Bang once. He's a cottage Industry of stunt casting as the insecurity inducing boyfriend on shows.

He was also Bow's ex-boyfriend on Blackish, with the implication that he could be Zoey's biological father.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4
On 1/15/2019 at 12:07 AM, roamyn said:

She looks real good, but the sass and posture are still there.  Who played Reggie?  Woooeee, was he hot.   I thought “Donna’s husband” going on a date days aft his wife’s funeral a bit unseemly.

I agree, that was tacky AF. I know people who started dating relatively shortly after a spouse's passing, but making a date at the memorial? Yikes.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2018 at 8:20 PM, aquarian1 said:

Me, too!  I really loved the hallway lasagna? (what was left there?) that was spiked.

“I’m not a baby dragon, I’m an adult lizard”!  Then he pounced on gorgeous George.  Man that was great.

• Love 2

Margaret’s daughter was so predictably awful and I don’t think Margaret would be that dumb or such a pushover to fall for her daughter’s fake crying. 

“$1800? I need to stand up and pace on that!”

”I don’t have cats.” “HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?!”

”Tough love don’t wear pants!”

Lots of good lines tonight. 

Taking a stranger's cake away from him and eating it even after he objected is so far beyond the bounds of acceptable behavior that by the time she was scamming her mother, I was already past the point of being even minimally surprised by how far she'd go to be horroble, and I didn't believe it at all that she took the lesson and made a change.

• Love 2

That opening scene with the daughter at the table reminded me of the first episode when Margaret sat down in the dead guys spot. Not sure if that’s true because I am too lazy to go back and watch. But if so that is cool. 

The actress playing the daughter was good casting. She had the sarcastic part down wel. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, xander874 said:

The actress playing the daughter was good casting. She had the sarcastic part down wel

She's good on another show called "It's always sunny in Philadelphia." Her husband, Charlie Day produces that show and The Cool Kids."

• Love 3

I liked this ep alot. Lots of good lines. It was also nice seeing Charlie's apt, I don't know if they've shown it before. Also nice seeing Hank be the voice of reason, so he's not just a buffoon all the time.

Yeah the daughter was kind of over the top and the turnaround seemed awful quick but ok.

This show has really grown on me. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Hero said:

She's good on another show called "It's always sunny in Philadelphia." Her husband, Charlie Day produces that show and The Cool Kids."

That was Dee!!!! I knew she looked familiar but for some reason I couldn't place her. It makes sense though. I wonder if Charlie will come back one day too. Maybe a hot romance with the Allison?

4 hours ago, xander874 said:

That was Dee!!!! I knew she looked familiar but for some reason I couldn't place her. It makes sense though. I wonder if Charlie will come back one day too. Maybe a hot romance with the Allison?

She plays the waitress.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, Hero said:

She was also Nick's ex-girlfriend on New Girl (hated her) and Fred Savage's wife on The Grinder (loved her and that show!). And, Fred Savage directed this episode!

• Love 5

I didn't really like much of the episode where Margaret was afraid of flying. She was just too shrill and loud. Also I am not super scared of flying, but I prefer the ground lol. Hearing all of her comments are things I try to never think. Fortunately I have no trips coming up lol.

But the story with Sid etc, was fine, just not as many good lines in this ep. 

• Love 3
On 2/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, cleo said:

I didn't really like much of the episode where Margaret was afraid of flying. She was just too shrill and loud. Also I am not super scared of flying, but I prefer the ground lol. Hearing all of her comments are things I try to never think. Fortunately I have no trips coming up lol.

But the story with Sid etc, was fine, just not as many good lines in this ep. 

Oh man, I thought this was a great one! The last scene with Margaret screaming about a flying mass grave and a one-way ticket to hell was hilarious - I agree with her, humans aren't meant to be in the air!

I loved Sid's story too, very sweet. And Hank the cranky airport volunteer was funny as hell.

Edited by Gothish520
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Not to be a wet rag, but honestly what does Sid have go8ng for him?  Leslie Jordan is a riot, but Sid is not attractive, adrama Queen, whiny, and judgmental.  Jere Burns could do much better.

Margaret’s storyline was a complete waste.

My least favorite episode.

”Char-Leen” OTOH are adorable.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, roamyn said:

Not to be a wet rag, but honestly what does Sid have go8ng for him?  Leslie Jordan is a riot, but Sid is not attractive, adrama Queen, whiny, and judgmental.  Jere Burns could do much better.

Leslie Jordan is 63 to Jere Burns's 64, Leslie looks so much older. Jere is still a hot man. Even in TV land, that relationship is unbelievable. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Leslie Jordan is 63 to Jere Burns's 64, Leslie looks so much older. Jere is still a hot man. Even in TV land, that relationship is unbelievable. 

I have two gay male friends who are very attractive and my age (40's) and they both married men in their 60's who were not remotely attractive in the conventional sense.

• Love 3

Sid's funny. He's a great cook and a loyal friend. I don't know what else he might show himself to be in a relationship, but not everyone chooses their partner based on how airbrushed they look.

Half the sitcoms on tv feature a hot wife with a schlubby husband, so it's not even like this is anything new for gay guys.

Sid is short, but it's not like most guys of retirement age are going to be on magazine covers, either.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe we saw in the Thanksgiving episode that he is not a great cook.

I don’t remember, but he’s not even a good dresser or designer - cliches, I know.  But none of the gay guys I know are remotely flamboyant, but they are all impeccable dressers.  And sid’s apt looks like IKEA threw up in it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

I liked the pilot and a few episodes after that, but I think they don't really know what to do with the characters. The talent is there, but the stories are not. 

I got the impression that Margaret was the free-spirited one in the pilot, but they've made her as much a fuddy-duddy as the other guys -- especially in the most recent episode with her friend, who almost moved in, who was a free spirit.

Do the characters have to be as horny as any other sitcom with 20-somethings? It seems like that's all the show focuses on -- everone wants to get laid. I'm not saying old people don't have sex, but is it their raison d'être? That kind of makes me sad if that's the case. Surely there are other stories to tell.

• Love 5

I kind of think that the writers/producers didn't expect the positive response that this show received and therefore didn't expect to go a full season and have this season and additional seasons mapped out well.  Being older myself I know that there are a lot of other scenarios they could develop for laughs other than just sexual escapades.  Maybe they should add some older writers to the show.

However, I truly believe that these actors can make almost anything work.  Their timing and chemistry is just amazing and I overall enjoy the show.

• Love 10
On 3/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, seacliffsal said:

I kind of think that the writers/producers didn't expect the positive response that this show received and therefore didn't expect to go a full season and have this season and additional seasons mapped out well.  Being older myself I know that there are a lot of other scenarios they could develop for laughs other than just sexual escapades.  Maybe they should add some older writers to the show.

However, I truly believe that these actors can make almost anything work.  Their timing and chemistry is just amazing and I overall enjoy the show.

This cast is Seinfeld good.  They’re  magic together.  Imagine what they could do with great writing?  First step is getting them out out of the old folks home and into the world.  The potential is endless. 

• Love 5

I agree that this show has found its groove with the cast. The story lines can be hit or miss, but they work well off of each other. I like that Margaret really cares about these guys.

Did Martin Mull really break his arm? His cast looked huge so I was wondering if they put a fake one on top of the real one (for the signatures).

• Love 3

The cast is the only reason I watch this show. I've loved Martin Mull since "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" and will give a try to anything he's in. The writing is disappointing. If these people can make the show entertaining even with sub-standard scripts, imagine what they could do with some quality writing. I'd sure like to see that!

• Love 7
On 3/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, DXD526 said:

The cast is the only reason I watch this show. I've loved Martin Mull since "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" and will give a try to anything he's in. The writing is disappointing. If these people can make the show entertaining even with sub-standard scripts, imagine what they could do with some quality writing. I'd sure like to see that!

I feel the same way.  Even with disappointing writing the cast is great together.  Some of the most recent episodes have been more of a let down than previous ones.  I hope they get their act together and don't ruin a good thing.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

So Margaret was a bully in school, bullied Hank once she found out he'd been a nerd in high school, and no one called her on her shit?

And there's still no way Jere Burns dates Leslie Jordan.

Also, learning how to ride a bike is not the same as going on a bike ride through wine country.  Sid's going to need a lot of practice. 

• Love 3

Shrimp queen is very triggering for me! Hahaha. Some good lines this ep. But the stuff with Hank was just over the top and dumb. This show is so uneven. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5

Nope. Not even the talent can save this dreck of a show. 

Margaret was a bitch, especially when she was making fun of Hank's job as a meter reader (which is not the same thing as a meter maid). And her mocking of his making an honest living makes her own whining about how she was undervalued by her ex-husband hypocritical. That's two episodes where she's been nasty to Hank while complaining about how she's being treated.

Hank was an asshole, and they've upped his asshole factor considerably to the point where that's all he is. 

Charlie has turned into the pothead stereotype, and Sid's become the moron of the group.

And Margaret's line about this not being the 1950s anymore would be fine -- if these guys were in their 80s, but they're not. They're in their 60s and 70s, so they came of age in the 1960s and '70s,  when attitudes were changing. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Hank was an asshole, and they've upped his asshole factor considerably to the point where that's all he is. 

That scene where he throws his little tantrum was truly cringe inducing.  It didn't fit in the episode and it was anything but funny.  Just the opposite, actually.  It erased anything funny that might have happened before it and replaced it with a sober, "Oh, that's not cool".  This is yet another show that had potential taking steps to destroy itself.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

That scene where he throws his little tantrum was truly cringe inducing.  It didn't fit in the episode and it was anything but funny.  Just the opposite, actually.  It erased anything funny that might have happened before it and replaced it with a sober, "Oh, that's not cool".  This is yet another show that had potential taking steps to destroy itself.

Yes, that scene really ruined the episode for me.

I had to FF through it. Hank's assholishness, while always present, was off the charts in this episode. Cringe-worthy, indeed. I hope they dial him back, because behaving this way, he's no fun to watch. 

• Love 4

I feel like the last few episodes have been missed overall- Margaret’s daughter, Margaret’s friend, Sid’s first relationship, and this last one was going well until it wasn’t. I hope they get back on track.

I just don't know why/how the writers thought that Hank's meltdown would be funny.  There were people in the scene beyond the core four, he destroyed the cookie dough and already baked cookies, he ruined already packaged cookies and poured milk in such a way that it went all over the floor.  Who does that?  And, more importantly, who thinks that's funny?  Also important-would a facility allow someone like that to stay there?  They are renters, not owners, and I could see Hank getting evicted after that (actually, probably all of them for trespassing in another person's apartment).  I had been enjoying some of the story until that scene.  

• Love 9

Actually the entire episode was a farce.  Using that lady’s apartment to make their cookies?  What was wrong with one of their own?  And Charlie said from the beginning that he didn’t want to sell the cookies!  

But Hank’s peevishness and lack of respect, not only for those other hard workers but mostly because it wasn’t their apartment, just killed it for me.

• Love 4
On 3/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, roamyn said:

Actually the entire episode was a farce.  Using that lady’s apartment to make their cookies?  What was wrong with one of their own?  And Charlie said from the beginning that he didn’t want to sell the cookies!  

But Hank’s peevishness and lack of respect, not only for those other hard workers but mostly because it wasn’t their apartment, just killed it for me.

I think the excuse was that the woman had a commercial-grade kitchen because she lived in the "good" part of the retirement community. 

3 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Last night's episode was so stupid and gross.  Why do they write Margaret to be a skank and Hank to be an asshole?  Vicki and David are naturally funny, why can't their characters be written more likeable?

I complained about it before, but is getting laid all these people think about? Because that's kind of gross.

I know Patrick Duffy just turned 70, but is he really that old looking? 

And the annoying boyfriend -- I did not need to hear in detail about his gastric issues.

Silly me, I thought this show would be about "old" people having agency, like "Golden Girls," but it's just about old people being gross buffoons.

• Love 4

Wow, this episode. ☹️ When this show started, it was cute and somewhat charming. Some episodes, I giggled. Some episodes (Zodiac Killer), I laughed. But since then....ugh. What a waste of extremely talented people. I wish Vicki or one of them would speak up and get this show back on track. I don’t mind having mature characters who are still interested in having love lives and hanky panky, but this has become unwatchable and stupid. I am giving this show one last shot, but that’s it. I already have tons of stuff on my DVR to catch up on.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I complained about it before, but is getting laid all these people think about? Because that's kind of gross.

Talk to people who work in retirement communities sometime.  There have been larger communities with big-scale outbreaks of STD's.

• Love 1

Another horrible episode. I really hope they can turn this around. 

Sid and his annoying ex wife are actually still married? What kind of a plot is that?

4 hours ago, deaja said:

Sid and his annoying ex wife are actually still married? What kind of a plot is that?

Yep, I’m done. 

8 hours ago, deaja said:

Yes, this suckitude of this show increases exponentially each episode. 

When Jennifer Coolidge was Sophie on "2 Broke Girls," she put on this weird accent (to sound Polish), but it sounded like she's still doing it.  Maybe that's her natural voice.

I can suspend disbelief when watching TV, but not to the extent that Leslie Jordan managed to hook up with Jere Burns and Jennifer Coolidge.

The other story line was awful. Look, it's funny when old people get high. How irresponsible for Margaret to get Hank high while driving. Of course, Hank is an asshole once again, but Margaret has quickly become asshole #2.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Yes, this suckitude of this show increases exponentially each episode. 

When Jennifer Coolidge was Sophie on "2 Broke Girls," she put on this weird accent (to sound Polish), but it sounded like she's still doing it.  Maybe that's her natural voice.

I can suspend disbelief when watching TV, but not to the extent that Leslie Jordan managed to hook up with Jere Burns and Jennifer Coolidge.

Every time I think this show has jumped the shark, oops, there comes another shark....

Jennifer Coolidge was cringe-inducing on "2 Broke Girls".  I didn't think she could get any worse than that.  Until now....

I thought I read once that the accent is fake but it's part of her shtick as an actress, not specific to one character.  I think she's toning it down a lot here.

• Love 3

She definitely had that accent in Legally Blonde 1 and 2. I liked her character in the first of those.